PDA

View Full Version : PC pso2 Cel Shading Sweetfx?

Gama
May 18, 2016, 06:21 PM
i wonder if it's possible to use some kind of effect to simulate cel shading on pso2.

ideas?

Kondibon
May 18, 2016, 06:29 PM
I'm not an expert, but don't programs like SweetFX just do a post rendering filter. Wouldn't you need to modify the shaders directly to make a decent looking cell shading effect?

Gama
May 18, 2016, 06:51 PM
I'm not an expert, but don't programs like SweetFX just do a post rendering filter. Wouldn't you need to modify the shaders directly to make a decent looking cell shading effect?

https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/3h3qw7/cartooncomic_book_sweetfx_skyrim_oblivion_cel/

Myobi
May 18, 2016, 09:11 PM
Sounds about right I think the most you can achieve is to get it look and have that cell shaded effect

Kondibon
May 19, 2016, 06:54 AM
https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/3h3qw7/cartooncomic_book_sweetfx_skyrim_oblivion_cel/Again, that's just a filter, not really cell shading. If that's what you mean though, it's perfectly doable. Heck, you could probably do what the guy in that thread did and it should turn out fine in PSO2 with a little tweaking. The problem with these kinds of things is that they tend to affect the UI as well.

TaigaUC
May 19, 2016, 07:27 AM
I feel like PSO2's models are so low poly that cel shading probably wouldn't look that great.
They'd probably have to adjust the normals a lot to get the shading to look right.

Kondibon
May 19, 2016, 07:58 AM
I feel like PSO2's models are so low poly that cel shading probably wouldn't look that great.
They'd probably have to adjust the normals a lot to get the shading to look right.Actually cell shading tends to make makes low poly models look better. It's part of why a lot of cartoony games tend to age better.

Gama
May 19, 2016, 12:55 PM
hm ill try it out, could look terrible or cool.

TaigaUC
May 19, 2016, 03:33 PM
Yeah, but you need to model the models in such a way that the shadows cast well, or else it looks weird.
Or maybe my standards are too high because I'm thinking of modern toon-shaded models.
We're at a point where 3d can emulate 2d toon-shading extremely well (eg. Guilty Gear Xrd).
I have a friend who really hates faux 3d toon shading (ie. doesn't look the same as 2d).

Gama
May 19, 2016, 03:49 PM
hmm tried my enb series mod for psobb, gg killed it tho