PDA

View Full Version : Hunter/fighter tank build

CeciliaAlcot
May 22, 2016, 04:35 AM
Hello everyone :).

im kinda new to the game, i got most of it down already the only thing i'm trying to do research on and can't find is a tanking build for my hunter.

would you guys help me out on this plz,
whats a good tanking build for a hunter.

forgot to mention hunter is my main and fighter is my secondary,

hunter lvl = 70
fighter lvl = 46

starwhisper
May 22, 2016, 05:37 AM
Well, it doesn't look like you got "most of it down already" if you want a "tank" build.

In this game you will want 2 things for your character:

1- Sustained aoe damage to farm waves of ennemies in advance quests or emergency quests.

2- High single target burst damage, to do as much damage as possible in a short time frame. For example killing zeshrayda by hitting his torso weak point when he lying on the floor. You will need high damage to break his leg and then a high burst if you want to kill it before he wakes up. An other example is magatsu when everybody is doing as much damages as possible to it when he is frozen/stun.

Tank builds don't fit in this game. More so, you main class is hunter which is arguably the toughest class in the game. Get automate halfline 10/10, massive hunter 5/5, iron will 10/10 and some flash guard and voila, you are unkillable. The natural ability of hunter weapons to block attacks also counts. You can then use all you remaining skill points for damage, damage and damage.

By the way, do you fight doing just attacks?

wefwq
May 22, 2016, 05:45 AM
Tanking in PSO2? for what purpose?

SteveCZ
May 22, 2016, 05:49 AM
Tanking in PSO2? for what purpose?

He said he's new so you may wanna elaborate the question. ;-)

Raujinn
May 22, 2016, 06:03 AM
OP hate to put you down as someone who really wanted to make a tank work in PSO2 but.. A tank just does not work in PSO2. The best you can shoot for is a beefy damage dealer that doesn't keel over in three hits and abuse Hunter's hyper armor or something. As in, take Automate Halfline, affix some extra HP on your units to increase the Automate threshold. This is overkill for the vast majority of the game though, which is why most people just go all in on attack and PP and leave their HP low. Not everyone likes to play with the threat of being 2-3shot over their heads though so, do what you will OP. Just I advise you still prioritise attack so you aren't literally useless.

Petunia
May 22, 2016, 07:02 AM
Hello everyone :).

im kinda new to the game, i got most of it down already the only thing i'm trying to do research on and can't find is a tanking build for my hunter.

would you guys help me out on this plz,
whats a good tanking build for a hunter.

forgot to mention hunter is my main and fighter is my secondary,

hunter lvl = 70
fighter lvl = 46

Don't listen to the people above. Be whatever you wanna be. If you want to be a tank, be a tank. Just because PSO2 favors speed over durability doesn't mean tanks are completely useless.
Tanks make doing Ultimates a lot easier for uncoordinated groups and can still do enough damage to not be dead weight. Learning how to tank normally also makes doing the Challenge Mode GP stuff a bit easier on newer players.

You don't want to be Hunter/Fighter for a tank build though. Hunter/Summoner is currently one of the better thank builds, tanks to Summoner's auto-regen skills and added defenses.
If you wanna drop your Player ID Name and I'll add you next time I log in (assuming you're on Ship 2) and can run you through the basics.
I run my own HU/SU build for when I'm bored and wanna solo content I'm not really meant to be able to solo :P

echofaith10
May 22, 2016, 07:31 AM
I like playing a tanking Hunter, but as others said, there isnt much stuff point in tanking stuff here given how the game works. The only place in where it would work good is in ultimate with small MPAs and maybe solo XQ if you want to make it a breeze.

That being said if your mind is set for making a tank build, a Hunter/Summoner would be the best combination. For Hunter tree, the most important part is automate halfline, followed by Massive Hunter and Flash guards. And for summoner, take the HP and defense boosts along with HP regen passive. This along with the ability to use resta at any time will make you as tanky as possible.

If you put the rest into damage boosting skills, your damage should still be decent enough for solo play(around 20% less dps than a brave stance HU/FI before taja). Lack of taja and chase will make bursts Volg graptors super weak against certain bosses though.

Petunia
May 22, 2016, 08:58 AM
I like playing a tanking Hunter, but as others said, there isnt much stuff point in tanking stuff here given how the game works. The only place in where it would work good is in ultimate with small MPAs and maybe solo XQ if you want to make it a breeze.

That being said if your mind is set for making a tank build, a Hunter/Summoner would be the best combination. For Hunter tree, the most important part is automate halfline, followed by Massive Hunter and Flash guards. And for summoner, take the HP and defense boosts along with HP regen passive. This along with the ability to use resta at any time will make you as tanky as possible.

If you put the rest into damage boosting skills, your damage should still be decent enough for solo play(around 20% less dps than a brave stance HU/FI before taja). Lack of taja and chase will make bursts Volg graptors super weak against certain bosses though.

I disagree with the choice in skills.
Here's what I use; http://pso2skillsimulator.com/simulator/?code=1H.6t.bs.d4.eG.gd.hP.l3.mD.pT.rA.t7.En.G1.PD .Rf.XH.7w9.7VX.91I.1*14-8c9.8h4.8iB.8kd.8lL.8np.8qF.8x5.8BV.8Ip.8K6.8Qt.8S a.8TH.8Vo.9*10
With a Chainsawd+20 for the vampiric touch.

No need for mates.

echofaith10
May 22, 2016, 09:19 AM
I disagree with the choice in skills.
Here's what I use;
With a Chainsawd+20 for the vampiric touch.

No need for mates.

For the build I use, I like to play as yolo-ish as possible which is why I take automate. On most regular missions the regen will cover you, but for some XH missions and Ultimate, it does help with the dps since you can be in middle of a huge mob or boss and just spam attacks/PAS with minimal dodge/blocking. The regen and defense should make it so the mates last you the whole Mission.

If you use the chainsawd then automate loses part of its appeal(I still use it as my "iron will" for any attack that gets me in the red numbers in 1 hit), but if you want to use a different sword, or even a different weapon altogether, then automate will definitely make things go faster.

TehCubey
May 22, 2016, 10:31 AM
Let's put everyone on the same page here:

Tanks as other MMOs see it are characters who focus on survivability over damage, and that pull aggro on themselves off other party members.

Playing this type of tank in PSO2 is pointless. However!

You can play a character who has a lot of survivability, without sacrificing too much damage output. Hunters are very good for that - either as main or as sub, whatever your preference. Get iron will, automate halfline, or maybe even both. Get massive hunter. And then you're set.

Just don't use guard stance. Use fury stance. It's far more useful.

On the fi side, use brave stance. Max it out - well, except maybe crits, they're not worth anything unless you have the critical strike skill but that's for fi main only.

Tunga
May 22, 2016, 11:18 AM
All you need is to affix atk/Hp on your units, Automate and you're almost unkillable. My Hu/Fi cast sits at 1476 HP (85 atk/145HP/4pp Saiki) and i don't have any reason to guard, dodge etc. Just facetank and spam stuff.

Shirou66
May 22, 2016, 01:19 PM
OK, No Joke

Some of the things mention above is actually horrible
Just why would it even exist

First off, subbing Summoner
Is pretty much the worst thing you can ever do
unless you want people to avoid you from EQ, Blacklisting you
Well then don't even mind what I'm going to say

You need auto-regen?
Seiga series (☆13) regenerate your full HP every 40 second
Claymore (☆4 sword) regenerate 10% of your HP every 5 second
Kasentori Haruka (☆9 full class DB) regenerate 10% of your HP every 10 seconds

Why would you give up actual damage for what?
Regenerate 7.5% of your HP every 5 second?

http://goo.gl/iyvtHv < This is not OK for Multi Party Area

People would blacklist you in a single second
Specially for Japanese players

-------------------------------------------------

I do agree the part where you can be what you want
But just because you CAN be what you want, doesn't mean you SHOULD be what you want
I mean you can be an annoying person, use /toge on every single sentence
use cut in and show your hideous face every five second
or you can be a parasite and use non grind weapon and units when ever you're in Multi Party Area

Just because you CAN kill everyone in this world, doesn't mean you SHOULD put an atomic bomb every 5 meters and blow them up at the same time

Back to the main question
Can you be a tank in PSO2? Yes
But is there really a need for tank? NO

PSO2 have the one of the horrible aggro system

HU war-cry in TD
Enemy turns away from tower and go towards HU
FO Ra-Foie enemy
Enemy turns away from HU and go towards FO
GU shows up and High Time triggers
Enemy turns away from FO and go towards GU

There is pretty much no point for Tanks
Unless you have good damage, which makes you keep the aggro
A pure tank build is only for your own survival
Doesn't help much in a actual fight

My suggestion tank build would be HU/BR : http://goo.gl/whNRqW
HU/FI sounds much more than an aggressive combination than a tank
Subbing HU with something other than FI or BR makes your chance of getting Blacklist higher, SO...

I only pick out the ones that are quite important for this build
But you decide on your own wheter to max them out
And I already assume you would use swords for your main choice
I mean, tanking with a sword would look much cooler

HU PART :

Fury Stance : I believe no one would use guard stance now a days

All Guard : One of the most important thing if you wanna tank or at least survive

Automate : If you wanna be a tank and actually survive a few deadly combos, then this is a must

Iron Will : 75% chance of you surviving a deadly hit with 1 HP if you maxed it out, you do have 5 sec invulnerable to heal yourself or get the hell out of there, however it doesn't trigger 100% so... good luck.

Healing Guard : Heals you up when you guard, saves up a few mates

Charge Paring : JG whenever you charge your PA, unless you are one of those OVER-END no brainer, then never mind. You could choose not to max it out if you really don't have much skill point though, it's more like a suggestion for this one.

War Cry : No point of tanking if you never get the aggro

Massive Hunter : Super Armor and damage reduce, however it does have a cool down

BR PART :

Quick Mate : Mates works faster, doesn't work with atomizer though. It sounds like SU's "Massive Mate" but you might want to heal up faster and get out of there than having a damage reduction and take your good ol time when you're most likely dead

Average Stance : Your no restriction damage boost

Average Stance Charge : Additional damage when you use a charged PA

Reversal Cover : Heals up 20% of your full HP whenever you just reversal, saves up mates

Step Advance : Optional, but sometimes when you need to get out of the chaos scene to do whatever you need to do, having a longer time of invulnerable might be a good idea

Weak Stance and etc : You can go and get those too if you have extra skill points laying around, just switch them when you needed them

Weapons and Units :

Most likely I'm going to suggest you to stack up your HP
You could use Chainsaw or Elder Pain for your weapon choice, If you really, really , really want to be a tank.
Put poison or burn on your affix then you're pretty much fine must of the time
However just because you have a weapon that heals you up whenever you do damage, doesn't mean you're not going to die. A few critical combo could still take you out in no time.

Petunia
May 22, 2016, 02:22 PM
First off, subbing Summoner
Is pretty much the worst thing you can ever do
unless you want people to avoid you from EQ, Blacklisting you
Well then don't even mind what I'm going to say

Ask the big jp players who invented the build. :]
You don't really bring it to eqs, but everything is so easy that 1 guy with subpar numbers wont cost you an eq. Pretty much any content where a tank isn't required is a place you wouldn't bring the build to. I think the sets you suggested are just bulky damage dealers and not actual tanks.
When I think tank, I think of someone who has every single mob in Lilipa Ultimate attacking them as they sit in the middle spamming Nova as everyone else blasts AoE's into the center. It's pretty fun, and reminds me that tanking was meant to be a thing before the players decided to focus more on pure damage. If War Cry wasn't making it obvious enough :P

Gaylar
May 22, 2016, 04:01 PM
Ask the big jp players who invented the build. :]
You don't really bring it to eqs, but everything is so easy that 1 guy with subpar numbers wont cost you an eq. Pretty much any content where a tank isn't required is a place you wouldn't bring the build to. I think the sets you suggested are just bulky damage dealers and not actual tanks.
When I think tank, I think of someone who has every single mob in Lilipa Ultimate attacking them as they sit in the middle spamming Nova as everyone else blasts AoE's into the center. It's pretty fun, and reminds me that tanking was meant to be a thing before the players decided to focus more on pure damage. If War Cry wasn't making it obvious enough :P

I'd love to ask them, because a HU/FI is going to tank a hell of a lot better than a HU/SU.

A HU/FI is going to pull aggro much better thanks to the extra damage and help kill things a lot faster- thereby moving on much quicker with less risk of someone actually dying.

Automate Halfline and HP affixed equipment is more than enough to tank anything in this game, if there was ever a worry about running out of mates then that's what Chainsawd is for, most of the time there isn't though. The extra points some builds waste in maxing Iron Will could easily have gone to other places, like maxing War Cry for more aggro generation like a proper tank, or more damage to just generally kill shit faster, aka less worry about actually losing hate.

HU/SU has its own fair share of durability yes, but its inferior for actually tanking mobs compared to a HU/FI and all of the durability you need is honestly covered by HU thanks to Halfline and MH.

@OP
Here's what I personally use for UQ and whatnot on my tank HU (basically everything besides specific EQs):
http://arks-layer.com/skillsim/skillcalc.php?11gAbxIobxIobxIobxIobxIobxIobxIobxIo bxIodS0fdodBIoI2i2doGPISGAqnIdGJrAIsIo000000jdoInJ IHnIkeAfGKfHnIAfqn00000fdoib0000000fdo0000000Io000 00000ioIn00000000IbIo0000000jdoIb0000000lo000000j

Certainly isn't perfect (there's some optimizing I want to do, like completely dropping IW) but I have no trouble holding hate and actually killing things with War Cry up in UQ unless a Gunner or another Hunter comes along. I would recommend if you only have a single skill tree and are looking for a more general purpose set up then drop the HP increases on FI and max out Wise Stance+Wise Stance Up.

Also bear in mind that PSO2's aggro mechanics are shitty and cryptic as fuck, you probably aren't going to always hold hate on everything.

TehCubey
May 22, 2016, 04:22 PM
Pretty much any content where a tank isn't required is a place you wouldn't bring the build to.

So, where would you bring this build?

Also just to let you know, clearing or failing an eq is a very low standard. Most EQs are made with assumption an MPA of 12 randoms will clear them, or that failure is basically impossible to begin with.

What we should aim for is not just clearing a quest, but doing so as quickly and efficiently as possible - to save on boost times, and maximize amount of runs for eqs that don't limit them.

And I'm not saying that everyone should be a pro player with top meta builds or GTFO, but please try to contribute to an EQ's success. Otherwise it's just being disrespectful to fellow players.

aiMute
May 22, 2016, 05:08 PM
OP, as others said, tanks aren't needed in PSO2 though it's nice to know how to tank boss so it doesn't run around making it PitA for melees to chase it (looking at you, shitty Gu players). Simply taking Hu is enough to make you almost impossible to die (automate cheese), add War Cry and you're the tank.
If you want to be even tankier you can go Te main (preferably) or sub with Hu sub/main and bring ultimate support in form of zondeel (vs trash) and zanverse (vs bosses). Guard Stance Advance works with zanverse too and this one of best meme fullsupport builds. The downside is that you're gonna get Guard Stance, that means no Fury Stance which is best stance for almost every melee class as they take Hu sub for those damage multipliers.
Also make sure to research more if you think you chose your class combo.

Don't listen to the people above. Be whatever you wanna be. If you want to be a tank, be a tank. Just because PSO2 favors speed over durability doesn't mean tanks are completely useless.
Tanks make doing Ultimates a lot easier for uncoordinated groups and can still do enough damage to not be dead weight. Learning how to tank normally also makes doing the Challenge Mode GP stuff a bit easier on newer players.

You don't want to be Hunter/Fighter for a tank build though. Hunter/Summoner is currently one of the better thank builds, tanks to Summoner's auto-regen skills and added defenses.
If you wanna drop your Player ID Name and I'll add you next time I log in (assuming you're on Ship 2) and can run you through the basics.
I run my own HU/SU build for when I'm bored and wanna solo content I'm not really meant to be able to solo :P
My B-01 cancer detector is off the charts!

Achelousaurus
May 22, 2016, 06:28 PM
>subbing su.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v320/Balmuk/1-1-1.jpg

Great Pan
May 22, 2016, 07:40 PM
There is no tank build in this game, son. DPS is your onry role.

CeciliaAlcot
May 22, 2016, 10:57 PM
Hello everyone thank you for your replies :)
i am always willing to learn how to play this game properly.

as for what build i would like to use it would be tanking meaning i would grab the enemy attention so ppl around me can dps/aoe them, that being said i would also like to do some good amount of dps to them as well.

but if you guys are saying tht this game doesn't really involve tanking what would be a good skill tree for dpsing so i can compare to a tanking build tree.

i am on ship 2 my character name is CeciliaAlcot

starwind75043
May 23, 2016, 12:17 AM

as for what build i would like to use it would be tanking meaning i would grab the enemy attention so ppl around me can dps/aoe them, that being said i would also like to do some good amount of dps to them as well.

but if you guys are saying tht this game doesn't really involve tanking what would be a good skill tree for dpsing so i can compare to a tanking build tree.

Lol if that what you want to do your probably better off going force to be honest about it.

There not really a sitautaion were this would happen as pso2 is more a action mmo then a trinty(tank,dps,healer) style mmo.

Spiral
May 23, 2016, 12:53 AM

tl;dr In case too much text - all hunter (main and sub) trees look the same with small variations. Playing hu/fi as any hu/fi does would likely be the same as playing as a "tank" version. Also consider te/hu.

Anyway, seems previous posts have given example skill trees for tanking.
Here's one taken from the hunter thread not explicitly for tanking.

I use this: http://arks-layer.com/skillsim/skillcalc.php?11gBbxIobxIobxIobxIobxIobxIobxIobxIo bxIodS0fdBdBdoIbi2dB4NISGAjJksNIsbo000000jdoInfJfk eAfGKfHncAI2qn00000fdoib0000000fdo0000000Io0000000 0ioIn00000000IbIo0000000jdoIb0000000lo000000j

may have some variation add massive hunter, this depend your play style.

If compared, you'll find that regardless of tanking or not, the skill trees are for the most part identical. Due to the way aggro/hate works, you'll have to be dealing enough damage to be above others on an enemy's aggro table so as said targets would go after you. Also being first person enemy sees places you as enemy's initial target so want to be ahead of others as well, if possible.
Do not know much about hu/su, but am fairly certain that even such would use a nearly identical skill tree as well, with few points shifted around to personal use.

Regarding skills of note with large skill point investment.
Most of *fury stance tree*: Here for damage. You do not lose any survivability at max rank, most of those should be aimed to be maxed due to large bonuses. Dealing damage is necessary to grab and retain aggro/hate.
Of those not maxed, fury critical is usually ignored by non-fighter main classes, (who have a main class skill dependent on criticals) and believe most only put 5 points in fury combo up since the bonus maxes at 110%, so maxed in two just attacks instead of one but save 5 points.

*War cry* is taken is used, naturally. 3 points is enough to begin investing in war brave's boost. War cry resets all enemies aggro tables in range and adds one point in your favor, along with multiplies your "hate" generation (when you deal damage to a target) so that you'll be pushed far up on an enemy's aggro table. Because of this "resetting" and continual reuse every 30 seconds, (which you'd likely want to do if main hunter anyway because of war brave benefits even if not "tanking") the difference between one, three or ten points is very low. (Suggested one if subclass hunter, since war brave is main class only, three if main class hunter)

Iron will, automate and massive hunter are usually where points may vary. Many enjoy having massive hunter, which confers super armor, and place 5 points in it for maximum duration.
Most players tend to choose only one of automate and iron will, however, as both have extremely large benefit when fully invested in.
*Automate* is generally used by any that do not main fighter, and gives autoheal so long as you have healing items. (Choose this for tanking) With 10 points, this gives you effective immortality for the most part. Assuming 10 dimates and 10 trimates, you will automatically full heal 20 times in any mission without returning to camp ship with this skill alone. (Even more autohealing can be provided by mag skills for example)
*Iron will* is generally invested in by fighter mains as a "backup" with limit break. (Fighter main class only skill, set self to near death state) But if having 10 points (and one in next skill in tree) you are given 75% chance to not die at every death and a period of invulnerability to recover/not get killed by follow up attacks.

On the flip side.
*Guard stance* is generally -never- used due to loss of benefits from fury stance and most notable skills in its tree do not require use of guard stance. Automate and massive hunter do not require guard stance to be used, despite being in its tree. Similarly, *flash guard 1* and *flash guard 2* also function without use of guard stance and can confer high damage cuts to further invulnerability. However the point investment is very high and you'll likely find that automate alone is much more than enough. (Gives 20+ extra lives)

Regarding skills, max automate first for real benefit and ease. (Do continue to just guard and all, despite being nigh-unkillable)

If going hu/su as some have suggested, note that in addition to above, you'll have access to techniques as was mentioned.
Anti - cures status effects, uncharged is enough and instantaneous
Resta - heals people, most often used charged for more range
Megiverse - confers lifesteal in area, but most often used uncharged to full heal self (usually casting megiverse and attacking once leads to a full heal and is much faster than resta)
Zondeel - gravity effect, suctions all nearby enemies to you
Zanverse - damage boost effect, all damage done within range grants a base 20% increase
Illzonde - I can move a little faster~
Not sure there's anything of note aside from techniques with a summoner sub aside from the mentioned autoheal. (?) Imagine would use a similarly generic summoner skill tree. (Pretty much mostly pre-req points to the bottom, then some boosts) Could be wrong though.

If seriously considering tanking, may also suggest te/hu (someone else may have suggested as well) which was considered the "tankiest" class combination. Has strong utility with more effective (larger and longer lasting) zondeels and zanverses. Will still have access to hunter actives such as war cry. Also has boosted shifta (and deband) that should always be used for group.
Has a slightly different play style, has strong mobbing capabilities and fairly good support capabilities to grab aggro anyway.

With mobs, generally run in, zondeel to suction in enemies and melee with wand - since damage dependent on number of enemies struck, so very high damage and first to tag all for topping aggro charts quickly.
With bosses can rely on zanverse support to hold aggro, since the 20%+ damage boost is counted as -your- damage. For general with 12 player MPA's so long as half players are hitting the boss you'll likely have aggro due to "dealing" 20% of everyone else's damage combined. And top damage charts despite just spamming supports.
...regarding zanverse, note that only one player's zanverse can be active at a time, in case another player also throwing up zanverse.

Note that with the nature of the game, most people are all together on any boss anyway, and just about all attacks are area so everyone'll have to use their own guards/evades anyway. But you probably already knew that.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you choose to do!
Though, seem to be fairly new, so may or may not know that damage (and survivability) is very dependent on your equipment as well. (Do always grind your equipment to max, 50/60 element extremely important for non-tech, etc)

.razor.
May 23, 2016, 02:15 AM
There is no tank build in this game, son. DPS is your onry role.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dkco3AcxEEc

Raujinn
May 23, 2016, 05:48 AM
Yeah keep things in perspective. There are ludicrously survivable builds in this game that would absolutely be considered Tanks

The above HuSu is a good example. Almost any class that can main or sub hunter could arguably tank as well (Fi, Br, Te and I guess Bo and Gu at least? I guess Ranger could, I'm not so sure Summoner and Force would work out as well. Of these combinations, naturally some work out much better than others), with the aforementioned TeHu being a solid choice. So yes, PSO2 tank builds exist, so when you're talking to people asking about tanks just saying "there are no tanks in PSO2" is wrong as there's plenty of them. It's just there is basically no practical use for them.

Ordy
May 23, 2016, 05:51 AM
RaHu, best tank.

But seriously, killing things faster is how you avoid hits on pso2, that's how you tank.

Tunga
May 23, 2016, 07:29 AM
But rangers are just WB dispensers.

NightfallG
May 23, 2016, 10:19 AM
Hate to say it, but the "play how you want" crowd is gonna lead you down the path of being viewed as a douchebag. If you're not bringing extra DPS for faster clear speed, you're literally holding back MPAs and screwing over 11 other people who want to squeeze as much out of the 30 minute time frame as they can.

Granted, if all you're gonna do is solo/fart around 4/4 in normal stuff or do the story, do whatever. Just remember that you're literally wasting 11 other people's time when you run low DPS stuff.

sparab
May 23, 2016, 11:32 AM
But rangers are just WB dispensers.

That's why I play gunslash Ra for better game experience.

Add bullets destroys all.

Rengemaru
May 23, 2016, 03:07 PM
I'll keep it short:

HU main with pure tank build.
TE sub with pure support build.

Use? Limited end game stuff like:

1)XH EQ Bosses: Keeps you alive and focused to revive, heal, cure status, and shifta/deband.

2)UQ: Same as above, keep everything on you while spamming Resta and as last resort.

3)Solo: To let you watch porn as you quest.

Lack of damage?

Not really, if you're keeping your MPA alive and they know how to properly deal damage (unlike many in the non-JP community), they will make up for you.

In the end, just test things out yourself and see what suits you best. Just make sure you have decent gear to support your decision.

TehCubey
May 23, 2016, 03:58 PM
Not really, if you're keeping your MPA alive and they know how to properly deal damage (unlike many in the non-JP community), they will make up for you.

Sadly being bad at the game is not an issue of non-JP players only. Not even close. Recently I had a run where me and a friend (who's still gearing up) did a total of over half the MPA's damage. He was second in DPS, and the third person did 20% of his. Once again, his character was still gearing up. Everyone in the MPA had Japanese names in katakana, so if there were any gaijins they were good at concealing themselves.

This is the normal state of affairs now. Ep 4 brough out a lot of new or just incompetent players into the game. If you go "I don't need to do damage, I'll just let the MPA carry me", high chances are you'll end up in an MPA where most players thought that and hardly anyone brought good DPS to the table.

Or you could play only with team members/friends, if there's enough of you to fill up an MPA and they are accepting of your build.

But my point is, the state of the game is pretty bad now so everyone has to try to play the best they can. Not being a no-life pro player who only knows PSO2 and plays it every day - but being willing to learn and get better. This includes playing the game the way it was intended, and knowing which builds work and which don't.

TheLadyRena
May 23, 2016, 04:05 PM
Tank as much as you like, but remember to have a secondary class set that can bring the pain.

That's all you gotta do.

It's like playing Sm4sh - you can main whoever you want, but if you intend to actually fight real people, you should learn to play a high-tier character - just in case.

nguuuquaaa
May 23, 2016, 04:58 PM
Isn't tank in this game just stacking a lot of HP and letting Automate Halfline carry so you can keep attacking without dodge?

HU main with pure tank build.
TE sub with pure support build.

Pretty sure a TE/HU with Fury Stance can tank better, support better AND deal bigger damage.

CeciliaAlcot
May 23, 2016, 07:54 PM
thank you for all your replies really appreciate it :)

so im gonna stick with HU/Fi and ill do a dps build with this and for tanking ill do a Hu/SU cuz it seems to be better a lot of people and forums are highly rating that.

Keilyn
May 23, 2016, 08:07 PM
There is a reason I don't ask this forum any question about a build...

If a person asks

"How can I make build X"

the response is usually an answer to the question

"In your opinion, which is the best build to play?"

This forum and its community have proven on many occasions their incapability in answering questions as asked....

milranduil
May 23, 2016, 08:11 PM

If a person asks

"How can I make build X"

This forum and its community have proven on many occasions their incapability in answering questions as asked....

logic:

"how do i shoot myself in the foot?"

my answer: "you don't"
your answer: "with a gun, like this"

which is the correct answer?

Tunga
May 23, 2016, 08:54 PM
That answer is still missing the dozens of paragraphs debating which gun would be the best at blowing your foot to smithereens, and how plantains are superior to bananas.

Altiea
May 23, 2016, 09:42 PM

I'm not really much of a forums frequenter, but I think it's safe to say that many other forums out there do this, not just us.

starwind75043
May 23, 2016, 10:48 PM

If a person asks

"How can I make build X"

When it comes to these things op should take the sum total of what we said and use there judgment.

Recommending some special snowflake build that will make them useless. When it would force him to have to pay real money or wait for Sega to offer a reset pass no thank you.

Zeroem
May 24, 2016, 01:10 AM
When talking about build, while long-time players may already went from A to B to C phase, and knew how bad the B phase was, don't expect everyone to already reach the B phase. And don't recommend meta build straight up. If you want to recommend the meta, include explanations as of why. Only teaching the meta without explanations actually hamper player's growth. That's my stance regarding teaching stuff in online games.

That being said, tank function basically are circling around the War Cry ability of Hu. Common combinations for this build usually are Hu/Fi, Te/Hu, and as of recently Hu/Su and Hu/Br.

- Hu/Fi are common build when talking about melee class (other than FiHu). With this combo, War Cry is often used to gain aggro from enemies. Main weapon usually are Hunter weapons. Problem with this build, is that both of Fi stances depend on positioning, which is kinda hard to manage on hectic situations. Also, while WL and Partizan are good in handling mobs, both are not realy good to handle airborne enemies (unless you have access to Fi's TD and TD Air Chase ring). Hu/Fi also lost the ability to use Limit Break, Fi's signature....ish skill.

- Hu/Br are a rather uncanny build which was 'popularized' by Tachibana Itsuki, a character from PSO2 anime. Still with Warcry, this build more or less functioned like a weaker HuFi but with less worry about positioning and have another option besides Gunslash (bullet bow) for taking out airborne enemies. Problem with this build, is that you will lose KC's invicibility (well, Br are more or less get more benefit as main class. Unless you build your Br as a sub class, something common lately thans to Su), and weaker DPS compared to HuFi.

- Te/Hu is a support tank with access to Shifta and Deband. This combo got access to 2 methods of tanking: War Cry and Zondeel. With Wand Lovers active (plus well-placed Zondeel), Te/Hu can quickly melt mobs with just wand-smacking. Problem with this build, is that it wasn't really great against bosses; and lose access to War Brave, a Hu-main only node on skill tree that improve Hu's damage during War Cry depending on how many enemies were aggro-ed.

- Hu/Su is another uncanny build made quite recently or so. This combo use Su's many stats boost and Hp regen to beefing up Hu's stats. If you look at the video posted before, with right setup Hu/Su can shrug damage thrown at the character. Problem with this build, is that the build can only depend on Hu's main skills and weaponry (since all batons are uncraft-able and for now pet is main-class only).

Unfortunately, while those options above exist, PSO2 has fundamental issues that cause tank build to not have place in MPAs (unless people are looking specifically for this build.....somehow). There's a reason why some refer PSO2 as Fo/Te Star Online 2, DPS Star Online 2, or PP Star Online 2. Ultimately, while the option exist and everyone are welcomed to play however they wanted, well..........try to not use tank setups at EQs or public group. At least until PSO2 get a total revamp and make tank build viable.

Just my 2 cents.

Altiea
May 24, 2016, 01:59 AM
- Hu/Br are a rather uncanny build which was 'popularized' by Tachibana Itsuki, a character from PSO2 anime.

When did this happen?

Zeroem
May 24, 2016, 02:13 AM
When did this happen?

Hmmm, maybe 'popularized' isn't really a good terms for it, but Itsuki is donning Hu/Br before and after his awakening. Even in the game. Plus I've seen people using this build on PSO2.

Then again, it maybe just a super loose association of mine, and Hu/Br was already popular before PSO2 Anime exist.

Seijass
May 24, 2016, 07:24 AM
I went with HuBr for my first 6 or so months on JP tbh, started January 2015.

If I could say, "persistence" quite describes the gameplay, among others, what with Just Reversal Cover & stuff.

But obviously the damage kinda falls short to HuFi, and not to mention I ran HuBr without ever getting a decent 12*, let alone 13*, with just Fahren units, wrecked mag and shoddy affixes... I didn't do my research properly back then.

Rengemaru
May 24, 2016, 08:38 AM
Isn't tank in this game just stacking a lot of HP and letting Automate Halfline carry so you can keep attacking without dodge?No, that's survival. Tanking means keeping mobs on you and not dying.

Pretty sure a TE/HU with Fury Stance can tank better, support better AND deal bigger damage.Not really. I level my full-support TE with HU sub and Fury build, the damage reduction on HU/TE doesn't compare at all. XH Loser deals around 80-100 dmg per slash as TE/HU. But as HU/TE, that damage is reduced to 30-40 dmg per slash.

Raujinn
May 24, 2016, 08:58 AM
If the metric is "keep aggro" then I feel like GuHu is the best tank by that standard! Well. assuming WarCry and Showtime stack. That and all the rapid hits Gunner can do.

Generally I see aggro on RaHus the most though, even with damage-focused Hunters using Warcry. vOv They just can't compete with the DPS aggro Ranger can put down on bosses it feels like.

e: Also throwin in a random 2 cents, when playing a game with other people you do have to balance up "your fun" and "everyone elses fun". When you add in the issue that skill tree resets COST REAL MONEY (aside the random ones you get) you better believe people are going to be uneasy recommending builds that may ruin the game for them. Generally, we want people to enjoy the game more, not less! Even for yourself, due to how PSO2 is I feel it becomes a really irritatingly paced game when mobs take a long time to kill. If this won't bother you, knock yourself out, but it's what kills HuTe and HuBr for me despite the pair being a lot of fun mechanically imo.

Achelousaurus
May 24, 2016, 10:05 AM
Hmmm, maybe 'popularized' isn't really a good terms for it, but Itsuki is donning Hu/Br before and after his awakening. Even in the game. Plus I've seen people using this build on PSO2.

Then again, it maybe just a super loose association of mine, and Hu/Br was already popular before PSO2 Anime exist.
You just now noticed. People have been running HuBr literally for years.
It's always been an alternative for HuFi with less damage but 100% upkeep as well as jreversal cover for more survivability and after some time snatch ja for speeding you up (and raising dps a bit).

Itsuki has nothing whatsoever to do with this build being somewhat popular.

Oh and GuHu has many hits but that is entirely irrelevant. Damage is far more important.

But tbh the aggro in this game is so fubar that it does not need to make sense at any time.
Regularly in TD I got enemies running away from me after dealing 100k+ damage. They tend to run not for towers, but across the map to other players that may or may not actually have attacked them.
I'm also occasionally seeing BS like an enemy in a solo run hugging a wall instead of coming for me when I'm close or in general enemies running around like headless chicken without anyone attacking them or using warcry.
Aggro and ai in this game are just bs.

Gaylar
May 24, 2016, 11:34 AM
But tbh the aggro in this game is so fubar that it does not need to make sense at any time.
Regularly in TD I got enemies running away from me after dealing 100k+ damage. They tend to run not for towers, but across the map to other players that may or may not actually have attacked them.
I'm also occasionally seeing BS like an enemy in a solo run hugging a wall instead of coming for me when I'm close or in general enemies running around like headless chicken without anyone attacking them or using warcry.
Aggro and ai in this game are just bs.

I've sort of come to believe things like that happening in TD and other MPA areas can be chalked up to the desync that occurs when foriegn players are present. Though obviously if you're connecting from NA and the host of the MPA is in JP you're gonna have some desync issues, and I think this greatly affects aggro mechanics to the point where its out of your control entirely.

At least the mobs don't teleport or anything like that, but I definitely feel like them running away even after using War Cry directly in their face is a desync issue.

But the other occurrence still serves as evidence that the way aggro mechanics in this game are handled is uh... questionable.

Makes me wonder what kind of information could be brought to light on how exactly it all functions with datamining, I have a fairly good idea of how everything works but nothing is concrete.

Achelousaurus
May 24, 2016, 02:36 PM
That makes sense. Would also explain why I got this much more than other people on the forum and consider fi stances much less reliable cause my ping is incredibly bad.
I also have real trouble getting the fanji to choose me in cmode, after being ignored despite being the closest player 3 times in a row I realized I should both with that role.

FireswordRus
May 24, 2016, 02:37 PM
This game have many playble aggresive tanks builds. Do as u wish.
PSO world users hate tank builds, but it is because, they i dont know mathematic and game mechanics. But remamber, in that game dont need PURE tank build(right now). You can make your stronger, if you have 2-3 trees on your character for any situation.

Tunga
May 24, 2016, 02:47 PM
This game have many playble aggresive tanks builds. Do as u wish.
PSO world users hate tank builds, but it is because, they i dont know mathematic and game mechanics. But remamber, in that game dont need PURE tank build(right now). You can make your stronger, if you have 2-3 trees on your character for any situation.

:wacko:

milranduil
May 24, 2016, 05:58 PM
i dont know mathematic and game mechanics.

i agree