PDA

View Full Version : Article: Dreamcast 2? or just 1.5?

gideon
Jan 23, 2001, 09:43 PM
Spectre54 writes, "For those of you who don't subscribe to DreamCast magazine (and those who read my other story on Super broadband who want more clarity on those "add-ons" I was talking about) you may be wondering what are Sega's plans for future systems. Well scrap future systems, we are talking about using your CURRENT Dreamcast to play games 5 or 10 years from now, this is called FORWARD COMPATIBILITY which means using older consoles to play new games (as opposed to Sony using new consoles to play their older but better PSX games with BACKWARD Compatibility). Sega is eliminating the need for developers to learn how to develope for new systems (that's why most PS2 games look as bad as they do) and for gamers to buy expensive new systems. The Dreamcast is made to be improved over time (hence the "It's Thinking" commercials last year, meaning it "learns" and grows with time). Imigine getting a Dreamcast DVD add-on (it's in the works) and then you automatically get a more powerful graphics, sound, and internet processor with that DVD add-on!. How cool is that!?!? or how about this?, Imagine buying a new controller (maybe this time we'll get 8+ buttons) and suddenly Shenmue is TEN TIMES as beautiful, Sonic is TEN TIMES as fast, and Jet Grind Radio is TEN TIMES as bad-ass! Pretty sweet huh? Its the future and Sega is in the driver's seat, I can't wait, can you?"
Quite frankly, yes. Sega almost killed themselves in the past with the lame add-on/upgrade buisness model. Remember the 32x? Well, how do you guys feel about this latest submission
To the forums! (http://tomeeboy.com/pso/index_forum.php)