PDA

View Full Version : Article: First Review of UNREAL TOURNAMENT arrives

gideon
Mar 14, 2001, 09:38 AM
Spectre54 writes, "Still Playing PSO? Yeah? good. But if your done with PSO (not likely but possible) then you're in luck, the Dreamcast Port of Unreal Tournament is coming our way, and dreamcast.ign.com has posted the first review and it's GOOD. According to IGN, UT is actually better then the great Quake III arena that arrived last year, could it be that QIII has finally been de-throned? Featuring graphics and speed that seems light years beyond that jagged PS2 port of last year, UT for Dreamcast features online play of up to 8 players, support for the BBA, and over 60 (yes count 'em) maps. Even though by the time UT arrive you'll still be playing PSO, I think everyone could go for their daily dose of Frag and what-not, don't you?"
I couldn't seem to find the review on IGN, however here is a link to the one on SegaDojo ^_^
http://www.cloudchaser.com/cc/sega/reviews/index.cgi?id=322

SlimX
Mar 14, 2001, 11:49 PM
I just have to say that I'm a little annoyed at these UT reviews heaping so much praise on the DC port of UT, especially saying it's better than Q3 on DC. UT on DC frequently has a very poor framerate. 4 player, it's unplayable offline. The mouse can not be configured to your specifications. Instead, you have to choose from one of 8 nearly identical and all idiotic pre-sets making it nearly impossible to use if you're used to a set-up on the PC. Q3 DC allowed you to configure it however you want. Why not UT? Both games support the BBA so there's no UT advantage there. UT has some good things, too, but the other reviews already mentioned that. I'm a big fan of both games on the PC but I'm a little disapointed with the DC port of UT. I just had to put in my own 2 cents.

Superchoa
Mar 16, 2001, 09:26 PM
I don't understand why the even decided to port Unreal Tournement,the pc GOTY version includes tons of extras,computer can handle a connection to a server beter,there will be many mutators and new maps for the pc version,people are working on mods to even get 50 people to play at once!And the pc version includes the sweet Unreal Editor,a must for any diehard fan or map-maker wana-be.A computer(well atleast a decent one) can keep a beter frame rate unlike the choppy port.I really see no reason why they decided to port this already great game and tone it down for the console systems.

Mar 17, 2001, 06:26 PM
I agree about the controller options in UT they pale in comparison to the great Options menu of Q3.
However I play on a 56k hookup. When I tried to play Q3 it would say line disconnected about 2 outa 5 games,completely locking up while people frag the crap out of me. I'm happy to announce that I've been able to play UT now for several hours straight with no probs. Yes lag pops it's ugly head now and then but, thats expected on 56k.
The maps are more extensive and the weapons are fun too :) 10 weapons with 2 attacks each.