PDA

View Full Version : Episode III is PSO Card Battle: Pics & Info Inside

Pages : [1] 2 3

sonicblue
Apr 28, 2003, 10:09 AM
"Phantasy Star Online Episode III: C.A.R.D. Revolution" (Nintendo GameCube):
"Phantasy Star Online Episode III: C.A.R.D. Revolution" expands the "Phantasy Star Online" (PSO) universe, offering a new style of strategic combat. Combining the excitement of card collection and deck settings with team-based battle tactics, PSO Episode III allows users to chat in the lobby about status upgrades and tactics, and then journey to the planet surface to engage in strategic combat using a turn-based Card system. The game continues the story arc of the previous PSO games, as players once again become Hunters and explore the mysteries of the planet Ragol. Featuring both online and offline play, as well as multiplayer modes, PSO Episode III adds new content and players to the ever-growing PSO community.

The game will be onshow at E3. Here's some pics.

http://www.tothegame.com/bilder/gaminfo/gamecube/phantasystar3_gc/screen1_large.jpg

http://www.tothegame.com/bilder/gaminfo/gamecube/phantasystar3_gc/screen2_large.jpg

http://www.tothegame.com/bilder/gaminfo/gamecube/phantasystar3_gc/screen3_large.jpg

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: sonicblue on 2003-04-28 08:12 ]</font>

RBF edit: More pics here: http://www.tothegame.com/screenshot.asp?screens=1073

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rbf2000 on 2003-05-12 13:53 ]</font>

The_Pew
Apr 28, 2003, 10:14 AM
sweet!

dreammastah
Apr 28, 2003, 10:15 AM
Looks nice!

MagicPink
Apr 28, 2003, 10:22 AM
That looks TERRIBLE!!

I don't want to play some stupid card battle game! I want to play PSO!!

-horrendoulsy disappointed MP

MilkManX
Apr 28, 2003, 10:23 AM
Great. I dont really care for card games and would have preferred another action RPG but I will definatley try it!

TerribleDeliMeat
Apr 28, 2003, 10:23 AM
Lame. Jesus, Sega's really gone down the toilet when they resort to using their licenses on ''flavor of the month'' trends.

The xbox version is supposed to be announced shortly after E3. Unless there is some major connectivity between my Episode I and II save and this new game, count me out.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TerribleDeliMeat on 2003-04-28 08:24 ]</font>

EsperJ
Apr 28, 2003, 10:28 AM
I wonder how they'll intergrate this episode with 1 and 2.

Maybe its a separate spin-off, or will they just include it with the GCN current version, and mark it off as 'Ver.2'

Raist
Apr 28, 2003, 10:32 AM
I hope its as fun as it looks. Looking forward to giving it a try.

Bloodberry
Apr 28, 2003, 10:32 AM
"Sega's really gone down the toilet when they resort to using their licenses on ''flavor of the month'' trends."

Sonic? Sorry, I meant, what? What other companies would use their leading products for different types of Mario? I mean, genres? Next they'll be rereleasing all the games in Final Fantasies. I mean, anthologies. Hahaha, it'll probably Mario Kart/Smash Bros/Final Fantasy Tactics! I mean, suck miserably. Hahahaha! We're so smart in demanding a complete transition with no new styles, only content, they always Final Fantasy 9! I mean, work!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bloodberry on 2003-04-28 08:35 ]</font>

Blue-Hawk
Apr 28, 2003, 10:40 AM
looks like pso meets yu-gi-oh.

TerribleDeliMeat
Apr 28, 2003, 10:44 AM
On 2003-04-28 08:32, Bloodberry wrote:
"Sega's really gone down the toilet when they resort to using their licenses on ''flavor of the month'' trends."

Sonic? Sorry, I meant, what? What other companies would use their leading products for different types of Mario? I mean, genres? Next they'll be rereleasing all the games in Final Fantasies. I mean, anthologies. Hahaha, it'll probably Mario Kart/Smash Bros/Final Fantasy Tactics! I mean, suck miserably. Hahahaha! We're so smart in demanding a complete transition with no content, they always Final Fantasy 9! I mean, work!

This card game is a prime example of Sega's new found laziness. Maybe you never grew up with the Master System, Genesis, or Saturn...but I did. To see the same company that gave the modern gaming world titles like Revenge of Shinobi, Hang-on, and even to a lesser extent Sega's modern classics like Panzer Dragoon drag through the mud one of their greatest series [Phantasy Star as a whole, not PSO] simply to sell titles is absurd. Look at their E3 list, the only decent looking title is Otogi and thats not even made by Sega. Oh wow...another Vectorman...because we all know the first 2 just wasn't enough. Hmm...another Altered Beast...oh boy..if the gameboy game wasnt enough to drive the stake of patheticness through the series already.

Maybe you enjoy seeing the once great game company become the bastard child of the gaming industry, but I sure as hell dont.

Eibra
Apr 28, 2003, 10:45 AM
My first though was "That's crazy!" And then a few seconds later it was "So crazy, it just might work!"

Now I've never played any of the really good Card fighting games like Card Fighters Clash or the like, but I'm willing to accept that there is some ways to do the set up so it's fun and enjoyable, I just never played any of those games. Sonic Team has been kicking around this idea for a while (remember the PSO card battle game at E3 last year?) So I figure they've had enough time to put some work into this game and make it good. My first thought was to discard it because it was taking the series off in a completely different direction, but now I think "Yeah, sending a Delbiter to destroy my opponent WOULD be pretty cool wouldn't it? ..."

MagicPink
Apr 28, 2003, 10:49 AM
On 2003-04-28 08:32, Bloodberry wrote:
Sonic? Sorry, I meant, what? What other companies would use their leading products for different types of Mario? I mean, genres? Next they'll be rereleasing all the games in Final Fantasies. I mean, anthologies. Hahaha, it'll probably Mario Kart/Smash Bros/Final Fantasy Tactics! I mean, suck miserably. Hahahaha! We're so smart in demanding a complete transition with no new styles, only content, they always Final Fantasy 9! I mean, work!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bloodberry on 2003-04-28 08:35 ]</font>

If this was a seperate game in it's own right with the PS liscense, fine. I wouldn't care and just wouldn't buy it. But this is being billed as the NEXT PSO. They're apparently completly altering the game, not making a new and different spin off like Mario Kart or Super Smash Bros. Thus, if Ep III tanks we may very well never see a new PSO.

If it's just adding the card battle aspect to the game, I may get it and ignore the card aspect. But this seems to be completely replacing the level runs of PSO with stupid card battling. That is a huge mistake.

-but sega always craps on their fans MP

Bloodberry
Apr 28, 2003, 10:51 AM
"Maybe you enjoy seeing the once great game company become the bastard child of the gaming industry, but I sure as hell dont."

I don't see how making a card game out of an arbitrary title makes it the bastard child of the gaming industry. PS might be a god to you, but to a majority of people - they don't even know about it. So, I'm not sure what kind of stance you're making here. You think because it's "popular" they're trying to sell titles off the name, or that you think you're part of some special group of people and that making this game will put it somewhat mainstream will lead to the utter whoring of the game (i.e. slippery slope fallacy)?

I really don't get how either's true. If they were looking for a big name to "drag through the mud" you would think Sonic would've made a better choice. Some real thought has probably gone into this game.

"But this seems to be completely replacing the level runs of PSO with stupid card battling. That is a huge mistake."

Some would argue endless level runs of mind-bending boredom were where PSO made it's mistake, like Diablo.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bloodberry on 2003-04-28 09:00 ]</font>

Nash
Apr 28, 2003, 11:02 AM
Personally I'm quite looking forward to it. Sure it's not what I expected Episode III would be like, but it's a hell of a lot MORE than what I expected the card battle game would be like.

And card collecting/battling ties in quite well with how PSO works. There will still be the urge to find rare cards, and be rewards with new weapons/characters/graphics.

Also, the card battles will add A LOT of strategy to the battles. The relatively simple battles of PSO is what people have always knocked it for in the past. This will be something different. And challenging someone to a battle in the lobby without knowing whether they hold better cards than you will be cool.

So I'm approaching this with an openmind. I think it could be great http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

SnAPPUrU-nyan-ko
Apr 28, 2003, 11:05 AM
Nice hunewearl ass.

I'd never buy it =-_-=

faceless
Apr 28, 2003, 11:13 AM
first PSO i won't buy.

now where's that shock and awe iraqi most wanted card battle game for ps2?

RedFox
Apr 28, 2003, 11:29 AM
they could have at least updated the enemy models... look at the barble (or whatever its called)

polishedweasel
Apr 28, 2003, 11:30 AM
I think that it may work. I liked Lost Kingdoms(until I beat it) I didn't have that strong of a deck though. It took me a whole 6 hours to beat it though. I hope that this isn't like that. Sometimes these little Cliche games work. Pokemon is still selling games...

Piro-Skies
Apr 28, 2003, 12:14 PM
I think I'm going to cry now. But seriously, very disappointed. I mean sure it's new, it looks like it's well thought out but it's not PSO. It's cards. With a PSO shell of sorts. It's been done with so many things.

I play PSO becuase of it's freedom in battles (Even though it's simple) and all the other stuff it's got now. Sure the battles could be way better, why not install a Zelda style system? that'd work with a lot of people. But no cards, please not cards....

Ah well, I may buy it, may not. I'll just wait and see how this develops.

-Piro Skies

AndyPandy
Apr 28, 2003, 12:15 PM
I think its looks great and it will play great. They have been developing this for ages.

Scan_Man
Apr 28, 2003, 12:37 PM
I don't know what to think. If it is titled Episode 3 then it will probably be an update with new items, and maybe new stages. The card battle thing might be an extra mode, like battle and challenge was on v2.

If it is exclusively card battle, I might not get it. Have to wait until E3 to see.

MORB
Apr 28, 2003, 12:40 PM
If battle is exclusively turn-based, then it's an entirely different kind of game. One I personally won't buy, altough I reckon it may find its public.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MORB on 2003-04-28 10:42 ]</font>

Nidarrock
Apr 28, 2003, 12:50 PM
My first reaction to this was that it will totally stink. It seems that they are turing an action RPG into a typical turn based RPG with cards. I enjoyed the way combat is played in PSO. It could be tweaked and added onto sure, and I think it needed to be expanded. But Cards???? I'm not into card games, never was and never will be.

But after thinking for a moment I decided to wait and see what ST says at E3. Perhaps the cards are an extra style of attack and not the main means of fighting. Doubtful but we shall see.

Terrible I practically agree with you 100%. Sega has been slacking lately. The only new Sonic games we have gotten are slightly beefed up DC ports. GBA Sonic games are the only REAL Sonic games released. The last good game Sega released was Panzer Dragoon Orta. But to me that was not as great as the old stories. I have my own dislikes about the "style" used in PDO. Virutal On Marz & Sega GT online are the best games on that list and I doubt that VO: Marz will be online. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_mad.gif

Bloodberry
Apr 28, 2003, 12:52 PM
"Virutal On Marz"

Is that the same as VO: Oratorio Tangram? I loved that game, they're making a new one?! On what?! T_T

Omni-SqwirL
Apr 28, 2003, 12:53 PM
I am very dissappointed...very...I wanted like the same thing almost with all new stuff and levels and baddies and weapons.....but, I will buy it. With me being a hardcore PSO fan, I am obligating myself to give it a try.

Yes, they should make it a new mode or something, that would be totally better than the game just being Card battling.

Final thoughts = I will buy it, depending on what I learn about it in the future. Like someone posted earlier, if they add a Zelda like system to it, I will definately buy the game.

Honestly...a Devil May Cry battle system would be sweet.....totally sweet

Jaite
Apr 28, 2003, 12:58 PM
I think it'll be great, just like the other PSO games. Even though cheating has always been around, Sonic Team has managed quite well to create a good game. It has it downs, yes, but that doesn't mean it has no good things about it. Don't whine until you've seen / tried / heard more about it.

Nidarrock
Apr 28, 2003, 01:03 PM
OT: Here is some info on the new VO. A little old but it is something.

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/virtualonmarz/index.html

SubstanceD
Apr 28, 2003, 01:27 PM
On 2003-04-28 10:37, Scan_Man wrote:
I don't know what to think. If it is titled Episode 3 then it will probably be an update with new items, and maybe new stages. The card battle thing might be an extra mode, like battle and challenge was on v2.

If it is exclusively card battle, I might not get it. Have to wait until E3 to see.

This is not exactly what I was expecting when I said I wanted to see a PSO III. Like most of you all out there I had so much high hopes for episode 3, I wanted to see new locations, new classes, new costumes for existing characters, new weapons, new monsters, etc so when I saw this article at gamespot I really was shocked, PSO 3 is going to be a card game???

Currently there is not enough information available for me to decide on whether I would like this game or not ( remember I took an instant dislike to PSO v.1 back when it first came out but now PSO is one of my favorite games ever ), on one hand the card battles will probably add complexity and depth to the gameplay and since I like turn based rpg's this will be a good thing for me but on the other hand it will defently slow things down alot and take away the imediate satisfaction of physically destroying your opponents face to face.

I like the way Scan_Man thinks and I hope he is right, that the card battles are an extra mode as opposed to being the standard format from whcich the game is played.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SubstanceD on 2003-04-28 23:14 ]</font>

gallaugher
Apr 28, 2003, 01:38 PM
On 2003-04-28 08:22, MagicPink wrote:
That looks TERRIBLE!!

I don't want to play some stupid card battle game! I want to play PSO!!

-horrendoulsy disappointed MP

I am with you 100%. This looks incredibly weak

Blenjar
Apr 28, 2003, 01:40 PM
No mags, bs, that game'll suck without them.

Alielle
Apr 28, 2003, 01:55 PM
I'm not impressed at all. -_-

Eum
Apr 28, 2003, 02:10 PM
I'm excited. n_n

Squall8VIII
Apr 28, 2003, 02:14 PM
Yes!!!! A new PSO!! w00t w00t! *sigh* I hope this game's Hunter's Licence uses your Ep.I&II licence, or no licence at all.(yeah right) I think it'd be cool if it used the same server as episode I&II, but the people's names are in yellow.(like ver2 on dreamcast)Meh...who knows...Anyway it looks like a really fun game! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Cube
Apr 28, 2003, 02:19 PM
I'll probably buy it just because I've never turned down a PS product..

I don't even understand this card game phenomenom let alone a video game card game... >_<

HaLLa
Apr 28, 2003, 02:20 PM
that looks like it could be fun....something new.

HaLLa
Apr 28, 2003, 02:22 PM
that looks like it could be fun....something new.

FreakinRican
Apr 28, 2003, 02:25 PM
On 2003-04-28 10:15, AndyPandy wrote:
I think its looks great and it will play great. They have been developing this for ages.

If they have been developing this for ages the least they can do is update the looks on the monsters. Those are the same Dreamcast models for the older monsters! Looks like they took existing models slapped a card game interface to it and labeled it Episode 3. (Wait... thats exactly what they did!)
At least with something like Final Fantasy 8 you get a decent card game AND a real game. Who would of thought!

On another note, They better not charge to play online for the dozen of people that will actually get this game and not rent it. 9 bucks a month to play a card game online?!

On another-nother note! With them only adding a card game to PSO why can't this be a downloadable?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: FreakinRican on 2003-04-28 12:39 ]</font>

Smash_Brother
Apr 28, 2003, 02:40 PM
Hmm...

Something dawned on me...

Currently, the GC PSO has hackers, more commonly known as dupers, correct?

There exists a USB GC memory card which can be used to edit save game files on a PC without issue.

Currently, all the item dupers actually do is add more rares to the item pool. This doesn't greatly affect the outcome of player vs. player scenarios such as battle mode.

However, if this game is indeed based around card combat (and those pictures certainly appear to have player vs. player combat) then the hackers have just gone from a minor issue to a SEVERE menace. Unless the stats are kept server side (which they currently aren't and I doubt they will be), what's to stop hackers from generating decks full of nothing but invincible monstrosities which can and will trample over all opposition?

Does anyone else see the potential problem with this game? Unless Sonic Team will set up server-side stats, this is destined to become the next Diablo 1...

I do indeed hope that card battles are merely a facet and not the main focus of the gameplay.

-SB

Vantamiath
Apr 28, 2003, 03:20 PM
Ok. I'm just going to get this outta my system.

Quit Bitching. Quit Bitching. Quit Bitching. Quit Bitching. Quit Bitching.

ok, now to talk about it..

I think it's pretty fucking lame of you guys to rag on this game after you've seen 3 screenshots and a children's novel worth of information.

The argument about this being to follow trends is very ignorant. This was planned and in the works before the GC PSO hit, unfortunatly, it died off at the last E3 and nobody ever heard from it again.

I'll admit, I never would have seen PSO going card game, or turn based for that matter...but I think you should give this a chance before you start ranting-most of which is based on a few words . (Oh shit! CARD is in the title! PSO franchise is fucked! Uh oh...this 24 word paragraph says turn based! Sega is LLLLAAAME)

For all we really know...this will blast the past PSO versions out of the water.

Wait and see.

Guntz348
Apr 28, 2003, 03:31 PM
I don't know if I like this whole card game trend. I played magic when I was younger and loved it, but ever since all the clones have been flooding the market, I've really grown to hate it. PSO was built to be a fast moving multiplayer action RPG and I fear this may cripple it. Here are some screen shots. I really hope this is just a side project and a REAL PSO sequal is fast in the works. I have a feeling this game is gonna be really awful, well awful for me at least =/

GyroidFanatic
Apr 28, 2003, 03:32 PM
I hate it when somebody says "Card Game" they automaticly thing Yu-Gi-Oh or Pokemon. People need to learn that there are maturer(Is that a word?) card games like Magic: The Gaterhing that came out way before Pokemon and are still going.

Goza
Apr 28, 2003, 03:32 PM
I will probably get it and play it anyway, since I am a big Phantasy Star fan in general. However:

1) New items should be usable in Ep 1 and 2 if you have cards for them in Ep 3.

2) Items in Ep 1 and 2 should be useable as cards in Ep 3.

3) There should be a LOT of new content. No one wants to play the same game again, but just with cards.

If the game is just Ep 1 and 2, except via cards, it will need to have a REALLY good, in depth, heavily PVP-centric combat system to survive.

MagicPink
Apr 28, 2003, 03:34 PM
On 2003-04-28 13:20, IHPSOC wrote:

For all we really know...this will blast the past PSO versions out of the water.

Wait and see.

You know just as much as us, yet you're defending it. Who's to say you're right? For all we really know it could be the worst game ever made.

What I'm basing my opinion on is I love PSO the way it is. I hate video-card games. Thus, it's really a no thought decision for me.

-so let us bitch MP

Ranger_X
Apr 28, 2003, 03:34 PM
I can't believe that this is the way Sonic Team chose to go with PSO. Cards are one thing but a turn based ONLINE game will just slow things to a crawl. I never really got into card games so there isn't any reason I would want to play this. Then again I will wait until E3 to pass judgement. Man if Sonic Team didnt exist we would get NO games at all from Sega on the GC.

Garanz2
Apr 28, 2003, 03:35 PM
I can't believe any of you think this is real. It is just clever use of photoshop or some other program. if sonic team are releasing a new game, they would definitely improve the graphics and variety of characters. It's all fake...

Smash_Brother
Apr 28, 2003, 03:36 PM
No, the PSO franchise is potentially f*cked because there's nothing to stop hackers from creating custom decks of the best tools, critters and the like in the game. Sonic Team couldn't stop item dupers. What makes you think they can stop deck hackers?

You may argue that randomness will affect the outcome of any card based game, but when every card the guy draws is a godly one, I don't see the game being quite as entertaining.

Yeah, we will have to wait and see what it's like, but if this is indeed the new thrust of the game, I need to locate another action RPG to enjoy...

-SB

Joe-Azlin
Apr 28, 2003, 03:37 PM
On 2003-04-28 08:23, MilkManX wrote:
Great. I dont really care for card games and would have preferred another action RPG but I will definatley try it!

Yea i dont like card games either, but for some odd reason alot of people in Japan seem to love them. Dont ask me why, but they do... http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Guntz348
Apr 28, 2003, 03:39 PM
On 2003-04-28 13:32, GyroidFanatic wrote:
I hate it when somebody says "Card Game" they automaticly thing Yu-Gi-Oh or Pokemon. People need to learn that there are maturer(Is that a word?) card games like Magic: The Gaterhing that came out way before Pokemon and are still going.

I agree and I played magic, since the second or third edition, waaaaaaaaay back when. Unforotunatly all these magic clones have ruind the genre and steared it towards a much younger audience. Let's just hope this is a side game, just something they threw together to meet a contractual obligation.

GyroidFanatic
Apr 28, 2003, 03:43 PM
On 2003-04-28 13:35, Garanz2 wrote:
I can't believe any of you think this is real. It is just clever use of photoshop or some other program. if sonic team are releasing a new game, they would definitely improve the graphics and variety of characters. It's all fake...

http://cube.ign.com/articles/399/399845p1.html

Elusive_Llama
Apr 28, 2003, 03:50 PM
o_O

O_o

Okay, my feelings for this can be summed up in a single acronym:

W. T. F.

Turn based?? Card battle?? PSO is all about being an action RPG. This is like taking Counterstrike and turning it into a Monopoly boardgame.

"You roll a 6! Your Terrorist has moved onto Boardwalk. Do you want to... A) Buy it B) C-4 it C) Camp and take some hostages"

Once again.

W. T. F.

ps. if any of you are thinking this will somehow turn out to be a good game after all, need I remind you of a similar example called 'Kingdom Hearts'.

EsperJ
Apr 28, 2003, 04:43 PM
I'm pretty confident that this new feature is an expansion to the current episodes, just like the go-go soccer in V2.

The card game will need depth- and lots of it.

Graphics need to be imrproved-the character models considerably.

This add-on will also give ST the chance to store more future quests and items within the game, all of which ST will hope add longevity to the PSO franchise.

Really, PSO is quickly becoming the Everquest of console RPGS- with each each addition/ expansion, the series becomes less coherent.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Tulathis
Apr 28, 2003, 04:53 PM
ps. if any of you are thinking this will somehow turn out to be a good game after all, need I remind you of a similar example called 'Kingdom Hearts'.
I happen to like Kingdom Hearts. Kiddiness aside, I think it had great gameplay and style. If you never try something new in a game, games as a whole will never progress. PSO needed something, anything, to take it to the next step. If you think all change is bad, then let me point to another example, Final Fantasy Tactics.

Bloodberry
Apr 28, 2003, 05:01 PM
"You know just as much as us, yet you're defending it. Who's to say you're right? For all we really know it could be the worst game ever made.

What I'm basing my opinion on is I love PSO the way it is. I hate video-card games. Thus, it's really a no thought decision for me."

Because you shouldn't immidietely get stressed out and moan wildly everytime something doesn't meet expectations. He's basing his decision off that PSO is obviously a winner, so Sega must have some sort of track record with good games (not ALL good games, but many, at least.) No thought decision is ironically fitting, though.

If you don't like the game concept, fine pass on it. But I don't see how that justifies going nuts like this. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm getting severe Zelda flashbacks.

Also, look:

http://www.tothegame.com/bilder/gaminfo/gamecube/phantasystar3_gc/screen1_large.jpg

Does her hair look a little different? Translucent? Does the lighting look a lot different? Do the textures look just a little bit smoother? Does that sword have a strange texture inside?

You haven't even seen any video of the game, you've seen 3 screenshots of a game that could just as well drastically change. It's as good as alpha footage. But no, let's take the "graphics are rehashed crap" stance. It works really well, like "cel shading is going to look like crap, MARK MY WORDS".

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bloodberry on 2003-04-28 15:04 ]</font>

Elusive_Llama
Apr 28, 2003, 05:08 PM
As one might guess from the "C.A.R.D." suffix, PSO Episode III for GameCube will replace its staple real-time action combat with a new turn-based strategy gameplay that revolves around collecting and using cards.

Jesus H. Christ, no!!

So now instead of controlling characters and dodging enemy attacks in real-time 3D environments, PSO players will be dishing out strategic attacks, managing their card deck settings, and chatting online with other players on the best card tactics.

Translation:

So now instead of adrenaline-filled frays with such dangerous things as Delbiters, Morfos and Sinows in beautifully detailed real-time 3D environments like Seabed, PSO players will be wondering what the hell ST was smoking.

<_<

If Sega delivers, the traditional PSO polish and online play mixed with this new strategy element could very well combine to become the best RPG of its type on the system.

SnAPPUrU-nyan-ko
Apr 28, 2003, 05:23 PM
Aw come on, games from 1997 (http://www.gamesdomain.com/gdreview/zones/reviews/pc/oct98/dark.html) knew to store characters online.

Releasing quasi-rpgs was for nintendo 64, not now!
Bad sonic team, you're going backwards.

Squall8VIII
Apr 28, 2003, 05:35 PM
The game isn't even out yet, you should not say it's gonna suck. As for me, I think it's gonna be great, I mean come on, it's PSO...just with a new battle system! You can't really tell much about the game just by looking at screen shots...guess we'll have to wait untill E3 to see more about the gameplay.

Vitamin_D
Apr 28, 2003, 05:41 PM

...What's wrong with Kingdom Hearts? I LOVE that game. It's innovative and fun. Anyway, I'll wait to see what EP III turns out to be before i pass judgement. You all remember what happend to Wind Waker?...

ancutcho
Apr 28, 2003, 05:41 PM
if this card battle game was some other type of game then i wouldnt buy it but since its a pso game, i must have it. even though i was hoping for another action game just with more depth in the story and more places to go.

jadenchan
Apr 28, 2003, 05:44 PM
I like Card Games, they're fun...

But only with ACTUAL cards.

I like RPGs, but I'm so impatient with the whole turn based thing. I love the real time combat aspect. I was so happy when I discovered PSO last month (I know, I'm slow on the uptake) because it had a free based battle system, much like Kingdom Hearts for PS2. Turn based battling really bores me...

I hope this Card game thing is just a seprate mode. Anyone think that Sega is only hoodwinking us? There is only a little bit of information...not enough to truly judge.

*sigh* I'm so new to the entire PS universe, and I was really looking foreward to the next installment. I guess I'd better get that rental card ready...

Getintothegame
Apr 28, 2003, 05:46 PM
My name!

Argh, first Target, then that hunting game in the arcade, now this!?

Anyway, nice pics!

Para
Apr 28, 2003, 05:56 PM
card games are fun but.. i honestly prefer a real time rpg... PSO's current battle system is really fun and i dont want to lose to a card game right now...

i played too many card games -.-;;

CakeMan
Apr 28, 2003, 06:04 PM
On 2003-04-28 08:40, blue-hawk wrote:

I bet thats what they are going for.

EVILzombie
Apr 28, 2003, 06:05 PM
I say screw Sega and just hope that this isn't the end of PSO as we know it. If they do come to their senses, hopefuly they'll realize that this idea is kiddy and change it back to an action RPG. If not, then we better make the best out of our Ep. I & II as long as we posibly can. This game looks like it really will suck the big one.

Strider_Gren
Apr 28, 2003, 06:12 PM
How picky. Already judging a game by it's first screens. If I did that I would have just thought PSOX was version 2. Oh wait. You ppl did that too...

Elusive_Llama
Apr 28, 2003, 06:12 PM
One of the main appeals of PSO is real time combat. You want the satisfaction of putting a mechgun combo into some poor Booma. You want to cut down groups of Arlans down in a few swings with your sword, then switch immediately to your slicer to soften up some Claws. You want to run up to a couple Ult. Baranz in Spaceship and frantically beat on them before they can release the massive salvo of missiles infamous for killing whole groups of players.

Please don't imply that 'action RPG' isn't one of PSO's biggest selling points.

That they're getting rid of the free combat system is bad enough. Turning PSO into some ridiculous card video-game where you have to catch them all is just rubbing salt in the wound.

shiznitty
Apr 28, 2003, 06:17 PM
Maybe, but unlikely, they would execute it a little like megaman exe. the cards are for status boosts, and that stuff, and theres a fight period. I really dont mind the cards, just as long as there is some action-rpg elements in it. I mean, if i want to play cards, ill go play yu-gioh. cmon sega, one of the reasons why ppl liked pso so much was because it involved ppl playing together in action, movement, not because you stare at the screen, looking at what card to use next

shiznitty
Apr 28, 2003, 06:21 PM
Maybe, but unlikely, they would execute it a little like megaman exe. the cards are for status boosts, and that stuff, and theres a fight period. I really dont mind the cards, just as long as there is some action-rpg elements in it. I mean, if i want to play cards, ill go play yu-gioh. cmon sega, one of the reasons why ppl liked pso so much was because it involved ppl playing together in action, movement, not because you stare at the screen, looking at what card to use next

JohnnyUK
Apr 28, 2003, 06:29 PM
Why am I suddenly reminded of Sonic Shuffle?...

First post btw - hi all =P

shiznitty
Apr 28, 2003, 06:33 PM
sorry about the double post

NiktheGreek
Apr 28, 2003, 06:38 PM
As Johnny said, Sonic Shuffle.

Sega are taking these lame ideas, that just happen to do well in the marketplace, and apply them to old franchises instead of making something new.

Sonic Heroes takes the lame character-zapping from Primal, Headhunter 2 has the "cool female sidekick Leeza X", and PSO goes all Yu-Gi-Oh on us... Next we'll be seeing "Virtua Fighter: The Beyblading Wars".

SSDDR
Apr 28, 2003, 06:41 PM
you know, what bothers me even more then the concept, is that it looks like this would eliminate all of the teamwork in the game, in all the screens it seems to show players fighting each other, and didnt the term PvP show up in the blurb? This seems to be the EXACT oppisite of what pso is about.

RagMasterRappy
Apr 28, 2003, 06:49 PM
On 2003-04-28 15:01, Bloodberry wrote:
Does her hair look a little different? Translucent? Does the lighting look a lot different? Do the textures look just a little bit smoother? Does that sword have a strange texture inside?

The textures in PSO have always been detailed. If they make the areas smaller they are just allowing themselves to crank up the overall level of detail. Not to mention that making each area would be a lot easier because the player has no freedom of movement. Oh, and that saber has the texture lining the outside of the blade in EP 1&2.

Guntz348
Apr 28, 2003, 06:50 PM
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and quote the sea captain.

"Yarrr, it blows!!"

Droxitr
Apr 28, 2003, 06:51 PM
I would be interested if this game has a HIGH amount of connectivity with Ep. 1&2.

For example, you hook up the mem card with your PSO stuff on it, start up the card one, and you get a customized card with stats based off your char, with the same look when played. (but with the improved graphics)

It would be smart of Sonic Team to make this kinda like an expansion to PSO in this way, as that would prolly get more current PSO'ers to buy it.

Aside from that, I say wait to judge it 'til E3 when we get to hear more about the actual game, instead of bitching over a handful of screenshots and a press blurb that (often) doesn't have much to do with the game itself.

Blenjar
Apr 28, 2003, 07:05 PM
On 2003-04-28 16:04, CakeMan wrote:

On 2003-04-28 08:40, blue-hawk wrote:

I bet thats what they are going for.

I agree with you guyz.

The reason I'll buy it is because....I'm addicted to the game...I have problems...

KnuxAran
Apr 28, 2003, 07:05 PM
Why are we bashing a game that we know nothing about? We've seen THREE screenshots and ONE paragraph on a game that probably won't be released for another year. Even if it is what the game is completely based on, don't start ranting about how horrible it is yet. If people formed opinions about every game once it had a few screens and a short description, we'd be missing so much. What if we had said that a game where all you do is jump on enemies and eat mushrooms was lame and retarded? As the quote goes... "Don't judge a book by it's cover." These first few tidbits of information are just a cover to a game that may be one of the coolest games to come out this year. And notice I'm not saying it WILL be the coolest game, I'm saying it COULD BE ONE of the coolest games. Just give it a chance, but don't be hatin'!

Danderdag
Apr 28, 2003, 07:16 PM
Am I the only one who is COMPLETELY disappointed by this?
Seriously..I love PSO, and I play Collectible games (CCGs and miniatures) religiously IRL...but I do NOT see this is the direction PSO needs to go in.

Squall8VIII
Apr 28, 2003, 07:27 PM
Just think of it as a spin-off...I mean, it's not like Episode IV or maybe even PSO 2 will be card based...or will they? We don't know, but chances are they won't. Meh...just quit complaining, everyone.

Castoth
Apr 28, 2003, 07:50 PM
It can have the potential to be pretty fun if similar to the way the card battles were done DBZ: Legend of the Super Saiyajin (don't laugh, the battle system at least was innovative in it). Otherwise, I'll remain highly skeptical.

Droxitr
Apr 28, 2003, 07:55 PM
If anything at all, take this to mean that perhaps ST is actually going to turn more attention to PSO, of any episode.

Corelton
Apr 28, 2003, 08:44 PM
On 2003-04-28 17:16, Danderdag wrote:
Am I the only one who is COMPLETELY disappointed by this?
Seriously..I love PSO, and I play Collectible games (CCGs and miniatures) religiously IRL...but I do NOT see this is the direction PSO needs to go in.

I'm with you Danderdag, I am very disappointed in Sonic Team and am losing faith in the best RPG..
*sigh* I SUPPOSE I'll give it a try but I'm not saying it looks good!

Corelton

Danderdag
Apr 28, 2003, 09:01 PM
I'm still giving it a chance, cause it COULD be a fun game, but there's really no reason to slap the PSO brand on it.
This reminds me of how disappointed I was when PSO originally came out in how the only thing it really has in common with the TRUE phantasy star series is the nomenclature on items and spells. I've gotten over that obviously, so maybe I can get over this ridiculous card battle thing...but it REALLY looks like it's just YuGiOh with PSO characters/items.

Moogy
Apr 28, 2003, 09:21 PM
Hmm... Looks interesting. I think PSO needs to take a new direction. I'm getting a bit bored of the Action RPG style. Heh, this game'll probably have me even more addicted, what with collecting all the cards and such.

FreakinRican
Apr 28, 2003, 09:23 PM
On 2003-04-28 19:01, Danderdag wrote:
nomenclature

I love that word!

Axispoint
Apr 28, 2003, 09:58 PM
I'll just wait for a verdict until E3, but right now I'm not very happy, but hey that could change. I never did like Magic and games that have mini-games that are card games (Final Fantasy VIII and IX), so definately something that I really need to know a lot more about before I'd ever consider a purchase. Maybe Sega can make a card game I'll actually like. Just have to wait and see.

Oh, and don't the characters in there kinda look a little bit anime-like? Mainly first piccy, but then again, I'm prolly seeing thing. I've had a very bad birthday anyway.

Polenicus
Apr 28, 2003, 10:36 PM
On 2003-04-28 17:05, KnuxAran wrote:
Why are we bashing a game that we know nothing about? We've seen THREE screenshots and ONE paragraph on a game that probably won't be released for another year. Even if it is what the game is completely based on, don't start ranting about how horrible it is yet. If people formed opinions about every game once it had a few screens and a short description, we'd be missing so much. What if we had said that a game where all you do is jump on enemies and eat mushrooms was lame and retarded? As the quote goes... "Don't judge a book by it's cover." These first few tidbits of information are just a cover to a game that may be one of the coolest games to come out this year. And notice I'm not saying it WILL be the coolest game, I'm saying it COULD BE ONE of the coolest games. Just give it a chance, but don't be hatin'!

We're ragging on it because it isn't what we ASKED for.

The PSO community has generally been very opinionated, but generally the consensus is 'More of the same, build on what you have and make some improvements, show us what the Gamecube/Xbox can DO.'

I DON'T remember asking for a turn-based card battling game.

Fanatic72802
Apr 28, 2003, 11:00 PM
OH GOD, MY FUCKING HEART!
Can't breathe..
...air......

As least, that was my reaction at first. Now I've realized that Sega took a step up, then a step down with this newest installment in the Phantasy Star series.

Remember Phantasy Star 4? Yeah, that game where you could take the time to plan out all the strategy you would use in a turn, who would attack who, and who would cast GiRes on who, and all that? That was the peak of the Phantasy Star Series, and the only reasons I'm still playing PSO right now is the online thing, and that it's Phantasy Star. All Phantasy Star game are good, right? Well, this one could be, or might not be.

When Sega created PSO, they took a minor step down in making it not only real time battle instead of turn-based, but giving almost all the enemies the same strategy: Walk up to the characters, and attack. Sure, there were strategies for getting hit less, but even those were simplistic, overall requiring almost no skill to stay alive and healed. If you died, it would only be because of an "Instant Death" enemy like Ob Lillies. While PSO is still great (And I'm not saying it isn't) and extremely addictive, it is still not as good as PS4 was.

Now, they're taking the new PSO back in the same direction as PS4, putting back the turn based strategy battles part of the game, only they're adding a new twist, and that's where it gets me. They're adding cards to the battle. This idea is still, if not horrifying, then at least terribly disturbing. Society as I know it today would denounce it as Pokemon: TCG for GBC on crack; and I personally have lost some of the interest I once had in card games. This is the step back that they're taking with this game.

One thing they could still do to remedy this, and possibly take it beyond PS4, is making you able to move the characters/monsters around, having a movement limit for each turn, but different attacking positions would have different advantages.

And, like someone else said, this game could be totally screwed if it is for the fact that the data would be stored offline instead of online, due to hackers.

*Throws his two cents at Sonic Team, and at the people that are definetely going to flame him for this post*

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Fanatic72802 on 2003-04-28 21:09 ]</font>

KnuxAran
Apr 28, 2003, 11:03 PM
On 2003-04-28 20:36, Polenicus wrote:

On 2003-04-28 17:05, KnuxAran wrote:

We're ragging on it because it isn't what we ASKED for.

The PSO community has generally been very opinionated, but generally the consensus is 'More of the same, build on what you have and make some improvements, show us what the Gamecube/Xbox can DO.'

I DON'T remember asking for a turn-based card battling game.

So now Sega listens to one group of PSO players? If WindWaker had been designed with the wishes of the majority of players we wouldnt have what we have today. And what do you mean "show us what the Gamecube/Xbox can DO." Maybe there will be some awesome cut-scenes or an in-depth story with sequences. Sorry, but I just can't believe that you think Sega "owes" it to you to make the next PSO the way you want it. They've never gone wrong in the past with the PS series have they or you wouldn't be playing anymore.

StryderPSO
Apr 28, 2003, 11:07 PM
i dont know...this could be great. It could take the series and freshen it up with RPG like battles. Turnbased combat is fun, but i am not sure how they will do it online. I really hope taht it is not only a dueling game, and their is still some exploration. The only thing i am disappointed about is the problem that this isnt the MMORPG revolution that i had been hoping for, but it is a unique concept. One question Does anyone have any ideas how we will come upon cards? THey could have the same rarity as items, but this could be bad, because hackers would RUIN THIS TYPE OF GAME

Morfos
Apr 28, 2003, 11:11 PM
Thats not Episode 3! what were they thinking!!!!!!

CajunSamurai
Apr 28, 2003, 11:16 PM
I agree with pretty much everything Bloodberry has said. Good to see that there's a few open minded individuals out there...
And just what were you all expecting "PSO Card Battle" to be? C'mon...
Give it some TIME. I was one of the few people that was completely hyped when I first saw the cel shaded, and we all know how well that game turned out. Don't judge a book by its cover.
We have a few paragraphs of info and three screenshots from EP3... Don't judge the game until you actually like... y'know... KNOW a little about it?

I will say this though... Why call it Episode 3 if it's a standalone game? That's almost as stupid as making an online only FF game called Final Fantasy 11. If it introduces new story elements and such, that kinda leads me to think that it's gonna be integrated with EP1&2 (similar to V1 and V2)... Perhaps even introduce new weapons, areas and monsters along with the new card battling.

Keep an open mind about it! At least wait until its unveiled at E3 before you make any serious judgements. I'm gonna laugh HARD if I see a petition about the game before E3, I swear.

Huntley
Apr 28, 2003, 11:26 PM
Im launching a petition against E3!! Jk haha.

This is the 4th installment of PSO and i guess if u think about it if they came out with the game in the same style as the rest some of us would be thinking, oh great more of the same thing. i guess they're trying to freshen up the series. However i dont know about passing so much judgement yet. we dont know that the cards or if turn based will be playing an integral part. Yes it's called PSO episode III CARDS revolution but remember Sonic Avdenture 2 was called Sonic Adventure 2: Battle and the battle part was only a side addition, so this might not necessarily be the main part.

Fanatic72802
Apr 28, 2003, 11:31 PM
On 2003-04-28 21:11, Morfos wrote:
Thats not Episode 3!

Actually, I've been doing some thinking on this as well, and have decided that Sonic Team should NOT call this Episode 3, but a full-blown new game. I'm thinking that because it's still PSO, it should retain the name of PSO, but it should have something other than Episode 3, if, in fact, the card game is not simply going to be an addon to a new version of PSO, as mentioned previously in the topic.

If the card game is all that this new game will be about, then they should call it PSO Gaiden, or Sidestory in Japanese, but that could be flawed, because sidestories continue a story from a previous point in a series, not tying completely into the main story. In a sense, PSO is a sidestory of the Phantasy Star series. If this new PSO continues from the point where PSO episode 2 left off, or is going to leave off with the release of "Seat of the Heart", then it would not be called a sidestory, but a sequel to PSO.

...But that would be flawed also, as sequels maintain the same style of gameplay as the originals, adding new elements to change (to varying degrees) the way the game is played, but not so much as putting in a totally new gameplay engine. (The only exception I can think of is Zelda II, which had side-scrolling RPG based gameplay.

Which leaves me more confused at the end of this post than I was before; I need to stop this.

CorneliusPower
Apr 28, 2003, 11:36 PM
I'll definetly get it, it's all in the magic f being on-line and chillin' with people, be it teaching newbies, having fun, and trading! Heh, not being a huge fan of trading in the GC PSO, trading cards would seem different in this case I'd think, wait, that card is duped...heh. Well like everyone here, details on this game are minimal. Turn-based system I dont have a problem with. The negativity in this post has to stop though, none of us know much. But consider this, IT IS SOMETHING NEW AND FRESH TO THE PSO WORLD. Thats good news, right?

AzureBlaze
Apr 28, 2003, 11:39 PM
While I cannot pass any sort of over-all judgement on this new episode without having more real info then just a paragraph and three shots, I can still at least speculate to try to relive myself of some of the tension toward the future of my all time favorite game.

1. Cards
Are they physical cards you buy in places like Kmart or your local comic shop, and then couple with your GBA card scanning device? I believe having a set of physical cards was their original plan.
IF this is true it's trouble because:
-Card decks cost money. The richest kid buys the most cards, and wins.
-You will be FORCED to BUY both the GBA and it's Card Reader to play the game. More Money.

IF the cards are virtual:
Then the CPU/whatever deals your deck like it does in Sonic Shuffle, which generates randomness and removes the player's skill to a degree. You end up having to 'make do' with what you have, and if it deals the other guy an "Egyptian God Card" you're sunk.

2. Turn Based
Ok, I'm pretty sure no matter how you do it, it'll slow things down. I'd be majorly shocked if it didn't. (here's to hopeing for a major shock) Also, turn based is not unique, like PSO started out being. They can make a new sort of turn base play...but a rose is still a rose.

3. Graphics
No one can pass much judgement yet, it's still too early. Costumes? More heads for androids? Other classes? Who knows. But I've already seen one thing NO one can argue about, that I don't like. And that is a hildebear. I don't care if they improve the graphics so high that you can count the thing's arm-hair, I don't want the same set of monsters behaving in similar ways.

There is only ONE thing which they could say at this point to make me love it. And that word is "Mode". If you can --choose-- whether to fight card style or old style, I wouldn't have a problem. Let the cards augment the game we love, not replace it.

Still. My general feeling is that it does not bode well for anything we hold dear now (The title of the game tends to speak for it) However, I still hold out hope that more information will bring a fun new game to light that all current players can still enjoy.

SATAN666
Apr 28, 2003, 11:40 PM
If the 'C.A.R.D. Revolution' moniker is only the title of this game and it's a companion to a real Episode III...

-then thats cool.

But if there is no real Ep III, then they'd better god damn well make a "Phantasy Star Online 2" game thats a true sequel and not another upgrade(an EpI, II & III upgrade would still be cool though).

Webapprentice
Apr 29, 2003, 12:28 AM
I'm seeing many game companies take an existing franchise and try something radically new.

Breath of Fire I-IV has always been fantasy based and known character set. Breath of Fire V has more of a science fiction premise. Only the names Ryu and Nina and the concept of an inner dragon were kept; everything else was changed. I don't know how Breat o Fire V sold, but the first thing that came into my mind was "brand confusion." I was wondering if this was the same game series.

Phantasy Star was a turn-based RPG. Phantasy Star Online took that universe and turned it into an action RPG. Ok, this is brand confusion for people who know about the older games. In this case, it worked. The inspiration probably came from other online games of the period.

Now, this game takes the PSO series away from action RPG to turn-based with cards. This is brand confusion for the people who played PSO. Since last year's E3, this seems inspired by collectible card games.

If this gameplay mechanic is really the next episode, the demographics for this game are going to change.
Card game mechanics don't appeal to everyone.

The way the cards look seem to be numerical values used for attack and defense. This reminds me of the card game called War (higher card value wins). For a game of this nature, I don't think the cards can be made too complex, since not all the card interactions are known. You can look at Magic: The Gathering's history of text clarifications, banned cards, and restricted cards to see how hard it is to manage at that level. Their current online offering has the rules stored server side, so users can't fudge their cards easily.

I'd prefer just a card game video game only. Trying to use it as a battle mechanism sounds like Lost Kingdoms, and I couldn't get into that.

EvilMoose
Apr 29, 2003, 12:50 AM
*sigh*
Not another card game
god damn pokemon

MissJester
Apr 29, 2003, 01:04 AM
I bought PSO because I like having my characters run around with other characters and fighting enemies, or blowing them up with magic. I play card games, at my local comic book store, not online. I agree with Elusive-Llama, if this is the entire game, its gonna be crap. If I wanted to play Yu-gi-oh, I'd play Yu-gi-oh. When i want to play PSO, I'll play PSO, not PS-yu-gi-oh.

If there is no freedom of movement, hacking through multiple enemies, or outright killing them with magic, this game is gonna suck shit!

Armok
Apr 29, 2003, 04:55 AM
Turn based NOOOOOOOOOOOO i cannot believe they are ruining the only good fun meaningless shooter on the net. Ok somebody start up a protest petition and hope they change their minds

Danderdag
Apr 29, 2003, 05:22 AM
Turn based isnt a complaint, it's the whole 'card battle' aspect. I mean in many peoples eyes, Real time 'ruined' phantasy star =p
PS1 2 and 4 are some of my favorite RPGs ever. I love PSO to death, but that doesn't mean I even really consider it a phantasy star game. Get what I mean? this seems like cashing in on name recognition and I agree with the person who said it creates brand confusion. I can't see it helping in the long run.

rena-ko
Apr 29, 2003, 05:51 AM
i hope its an adiditional part like challenge mode is...

but it kinda looks nice... not just a new engine... it reminds me of skies of arcadia somehow...
hm... is that a fomar battling a hunewearl? i mean, like in ... battle, just with supporting monsters?

after the first shock, i'd say, i'll definitely buy this game, just because its a phantasy star game, but i really hope several things:
-ep1&2 also included in this game - mostly like they are right now
-character convertation from v3
-new content, not just the card feature (so far it looks like there are only the ep1&2 monsters in that game)

but maybe this will be cubes second online rpg ^_^

LINX
Apr 29, 2003, 06:19 AM
I have to say I love the new look. It's a good time they change the whole concept of the game. And seriously, which one of you guys would have rather seen yet another upgrade of the original PSO? =/

The_Hero_Of_Time
Apr 29, 2003, 06:28 AM
I havent read any of the other posts, so I dont know if anyone else said this already. I dont really like cardgames all I liked was pokemon and thats dead now. Well, I think that PSO3 would be cool if instead of finding weapons you found cards, and you use the cards tou summon monsters, weapons(to use all the way through your time online/offlline). YOu would also use the cards to use magic. Personaly I think it looks like a good game, but I would much rather see PSO3 stay the same as 1&2. Thats my opinion on the game.

GuerillaPimp
Apr 29, 2003, 06:35 AM
episode 3 is a card game? god that's lame. another good franchise bites the dust. Sonic team can shove that cd up their lazy asses for all i care...

Danderdag
Apr 29, 2003, 06:52 AM
Linx. I for one would rather see E1&2 v.2 than this junk. I think PSO needs a total overhaul, sure, but I think this is NOT that overhaul.

Ropponmatsu
Apr 29, 2003, 08:17 AM
I really don't believe this, I think its just SEGA playing a trick or something, it may not even be SEGA, I haven't seen any qoutes from SEGA concerning most of the games supposedly being un-veiled at E3! It may just be my eyes, but the only 3 screen shots they have look extremely touched up and tampered with, with some time I could have made them look like that myself!

Danderdag
Apr 29, 2003, 08:18 AM
Now that's just being delusional. The hildebear model isn't even the same as the one in the game (it's less complex looking), those are definately real screens. If IGN and gamespot are reporting it as true, I believe it.

FreakinRican
Apr 29, 2003, 08:22 AM
Maybe we'll get lucky and they won't release it for North America.

This isn't just an add on for a new PSO. It is the new PSO. People have to stop saying its like the additions in version 2. They didnt name Version 2 :"PSO V2 GoGo Soccer and Challenge Evolution!"

Sonic Team is trying to pull a fast one and make money of a genre that everyone else is doing. Need I say Sonic Shuffle? I'm waiting for Sonic Drift 3(Sonic Kart) to come out next for the GCN -_-;

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: FreakinRican on 2003-04-29 06:30 ]</font>

NiktheGreek
Apr 29, 2003, 08:28 AM
Sorry, but it looks to be real. I first saw this stuff in a blurb package by Sega Europe, and on their site parts of that same blurb package are repeated (not PSO, but enough to make the PSO story credible)...

Anyhow, Sega need to listen to their fans, and this isn't what the fans were calling for...

Ropponmatsu
Apr 29, 2003, 08:35 AM
I won't ever believe that Sonic Team has forsaken us till I have Ep. III sitting in my GCN and I see it for myself! >,<

CKaz
May 2, 2003, 02:48 AM
Well couple things.. lets look at possible goods and bads, keeping in mind it's just a couple weeks till E3 http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

some possible good-

turn-based might add a lot of strategy and doesn't HAVE to kill speed - ie, a timer for the turn or a format even rewarding quicker play/penalizing slower play could be used.

the biggest challenge is co-op IMO, if they find a way to make 4 different types of characters/players with different decks of cards able to mount some truly epic battles and become much greater than the sum of their parts - that's a kind of experience that hasn't been available on real cards/video card games. but that's a TALL order too

assuming you still have a character or atleast some kind of avatar and they're very customizable and 'differentiable' (think I made that up, it's late :b) and the gameplay is deep and there's real challenges for co-op play and the games are kept moving along, it could be something else. Rewards could be more properly shared rather than hoarded by scavengers, trading might be raised to much higher levels to make proper decks for characters (I have to think most cards will have character class and/or ability/level requirements) and again, coordinating multi-decks with some friends and true variations (rather than pat 'uber-outfitting') could add a lot.

some possible concerns-

it really comes down to is this cash-in or depth
if it's cash-in crud yeah it'll hurt.

the e-reader worries me some too, I hope there isn't a lot exclusively tied to further going out and buying real cards, I don't mind the level they did that with animal crossing but if it becomes a real deal paying for software and cards and however they do online/hunter license will get real old.

hopefully some return/update/co-existence with the real time play will be involved/forthcoming

PSO needed a shake-up, but abandoning the fast action co-op play rather than deeping and extending it would be a surprising move.

either way, I'll be watching this with real interest

ABDUR101
May 6, 2003, 09:49 PM
I'm turning this topic into a sticky, just because it's the biggest PSO Episode 3 thread, and it is being made the focal point so we don't have any extra repeats about the same thing.

All extra PSO Episode 3 threads will be locked, please use this thread. =)

Glaximus
May 7, 2003, 02:46 PM
I find it hard to believe this is Sonic Team merely "cashing-in" on something. ST usually avoids that sort of thing, the closest they came was Sonic Shuffle... but oh wait, ST didn't produce Sonic Shuffle. Hmmm...

Sonic Team produces fun. Yuji Naka, with all due respect to the man, is a crazy bastard. He has an obsession with Eggs. There are Eggs in PSO during Easter. Chaos hatch from little eggs you have to pick up and shake in Sonic Adventure. The bad guy in the orginial Sonic the Hedgehog is Dr. Eggman, and he is shaped like an egg. In NiGHTS, you hatch A-Life NiGHTopians from eggs, and when you run out of time, you are chased around by an Alarm Egg. Sonic Team's latest project?

Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg.

Right. However, this is the same team that brought you Burning Rangers, an excellent game that brought the poor Saturn to it's knees with sheer processing overload. On the PS2 or GameCube a game like Burning Rangers would bring the world to a standstill. Oh yes it would, be quiet.

Eggs.

Anyway, I trust ST on this one. Instead of rolling our eyes, let's imagine the best possible card game. The best cards in the game should be hard to find, just like the best rares in PSO. You explore new arenas, battle new enemies, and collect what they leave behins. There will probably be mini games that allow you to earn money or collect new cards. Your character class will probably effect what type of cards work best for you in your deck. Crazy strategy and hard core combinations will challenge players to keep thinking and bring smack talk to a crazy new level.

Further, it can exist as a fully viable Episode III. The Episode III means it's continuing the story set by Episode I, with Pioneer 2's arrival to the planet. Maybe we will see some recycled old enemies, but we'll certainly see new ones too. The story will continue to expand and get deeper. Just as Episode 2 carved out a larger piece of PSO legend, so will Episode 3, as ST realizes that more and more gamers, worldwide, want to see a real story behind this and crave more than just the hackity-hizack of chopping Dimenians into little managable bits.

EGGS! The freakin' guy and his eggs.... jebus. I can't get over that, sorry.

SlashEdgewind
May 7, 2003, 02:59 PM
umm... although I liked Lost Kingdoms for GCN.. frankly, I would much rather play PSO with the battle system it has already.. but if PSO III explains the story further.. then I might just have to get it because.. THIS STORY IS CONFUSING TO ME!!!!!!

Slash

steve_murton
May 7, 2003, 03:09 PM
SONIC TEAM ARE LAZY! I SENT THEM A E-MAIL 10 DAYS AGO ABOUT THIS SHIT AND THEY HAVNT REPLYED, THINK I SHOULD SEND ANOTHER!?

ophiel
May 7, 2003, 06:41 PM
This is so fucking lame.

Theyve turned my favorite series, a series that i've grown up with, into pokemon in fucking space.

At first, I thought that the card collecting/card battle crap was just something extra. Like a sub-game sorta thing.. But now I realize that the whole game is that way.. Thats so fucking lame.

I mean, I love to play Magic: The gathering.
But Phantasy Star is not Magic. Its not Pokemon, and its not fucking yu-gi-oh.. It makes me fucking sick to my stomach..

Especially because I know ill end up buying it..lame...

nathan
ophiel.
Lv. 72 fomar.
[mars army]
-lafayette division leader-
[echelon]

Flame
May 7, 2003, 09:35 PM
Ok man, everyone here needs to chill. Stop being so negitive! There could be a chance that this could be a great game, ever thought of that???? You call yourselves fans? Come on guys, it'll be great! Im no card freak, but i think this could be a blast. Dont overlook this as just a scam to make money. ST doesnt tick that way. Sonic Shuffle was made by Hudson and Sega of America ok? Not ST. Billy hatcher, Sonic heroes, PSO ep 3, its all good. I must say i am looking forward to all of these games. Besides, even if it is bad (which i doubt!) There's no doubt that ST will return to the winning formula of fast paced combo driven hack an slash blow your brains out play till5 o clock gaming fun! Besides.. .this cool game should tide you over till the next REAL pso. And man.. . .that will be somthing. Anyway, keep your chin up guys! Hope for the best and you'll get it! Expect the worst and thats what you'll get.

Flame
May 7, 2003, 09:38 PM
Ok man, everyone here needs to chill. Stop being so negitive! There could be a chance that this could be a great game, ever thought of that???? You call yourselves fans? Come on guys, it'll be great! Im no card freak, but i think this could be a blast. Dont overlook this as just a scam to make money. ST doesnt tick that way. Sonic Shuffle was made by Hudson and Sega of America ok? Not ST. Billy hatcher, Sonic heroes, PSO ep 3, its all good. I must say i am looking forward to all of these games. Besides, even if it is bad (which i doubt!) There's no doubt that ST will return to the winning formula of fast paced combo driven hack an slash blow your brains out play till5 o clock gaming fun! Besides.. .this cool game should tide you over till the next REAL pso. And man.. . .that will be somthing. Anyway, keep your chin up guys! Hope for the best and you'll get it! Expect the worst and thats what you'll get.

Syphonhail
May 7, 2003, 10:18 PM
I think From the Pics that the gameplay might be simular to the MegaMan Battle network series. I thought those games rocked. So i shall buy this game when it comes out.

blaketx11
May 8, 2003, 02:04 AM
Anyone wanna bet on PSO Ep. 4??
I'm guessing it'll be a first-person shooter set in the ancient world of Ohio. No wait, it'll be a real-time strategy where YOU rebuild Ragol the way you see fit! NO NO, it's gonna be a side-scrolling shooter where you pilot Pioneer 2 around the hazardous wasteland of Ragol's asteroid belt, dodging all the flying Hilde-poo!!
ORRRRRRRRRR even better!!! A football game of you vs. rag rappies, all hosted by John Madden!!!

COME ON SONIC TEAM, WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO PULL?!?!
9K+ players A DAY and you tell us YU GI OH is the next episode?!!?!

I dunno about you guys, but this is a real kick in the balls.
I just can't believe this..

utep225
May 8, 2003, 06:54 AM
On 2003-04-28 08:51, Bloodberry wrote:
"Maybe you enjoy seeing the once great game company become the bastard child of the gaming industry, but I sure as hell dont."

I don't see how making a card game out of an arbitrary title makes it the bastard child of the gaming industry. PS might be a god to you, but to a majority of people - they don't even know about it. So, I'm not sure what kind of stance you're making here. You think because it's "popular" they're trying to sell titles off the name, or that you think you're part of some special group of people and that making this game will put it somewhat mainstream will lead to the utter whoring of the game (i.e. slippery slope fallacy)?

I really don't get how either's true. If they were looking for a big name to "drag through the mud" you would think Sonic would've made a better choice. Some real thought has probably gone into this game.

"But this seems to be completely replacing the level runs of PSO with stupid card battling. That is a huge mistake."

Some would argue endless level runs of mind-bending boredom were where PSO made it's mistake, like Diablo.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bloodberry on 2003-04-28 09:00 ]</font>

LollipopLolita
May 8, 2003, 01:01 PM
http://www.pso-world.com/article.php?sid=933&mode=&order=0&thold=0

thenet9
May 8, 2003, 03:24 PM
it looks soooo cool!!!

Arylkia
May 9, 2003, 07:18 PM
i kinda got bored with magic the gathering type dealy long ago. turning one kinda game into something completely new like this may flop rather badly. or be designed for more like the kiddies. which tend to enjoy their lil card games at recess in school. i know pso is for most ages.its a very fun game. but this new leap is something i presonally find a bit distatseful from sega.its like your fave rock band turning into gay music band.just because they wanted to try something new. it just doesnt work.but then again i could be wrong. even bands that were cool once and now have gone gay these past years are now wracking it up with the newbies and kiddies. it seems the audience for pso is being shifted elswhere to draw attention.

drkstrx
May 11, 2003, 12:06 AM
hmm...not much to say is there

NiGHTS
May 11, 2003, 11:06 AM
Jesus people, if you don't like the game then don't buy it. Keep playing Episode 1&2, there, problem sorted.

It's not like Sonic Team "owe" you a new PSO game. You don't even have to play it do you? You should be grateful that there is a new PSO game coming out at all.

Shadow82
May 11, 2003, 12:02 PM
Soooooooooooooooooo lame.Cards...What the hell are they thinking.Forces arent the same with cards now.

Bluedeath
May 12, 2003, 05:11 PM
well i do play magic the gathering, and i was thinkin it would be really cool if u could buy PSO boster packs, and use a GBA with a E reader to put the cards onto the game, i mean that would be cool because i could use my deck on the game and in reality with my friends, i just cant wait to see what they show at E3!

janitorbob
May 12, 2003, 05:58 PM
i dont know if this was mentioned, but i havent seen one mag... you cant leave the mags out! Mags cant stand in unemployment lines!!!

Moleman
May 12, 2003, 06:17 PM
Id onlt know if any of you have seen the new screen shots. If not, there's a post about it somewhere in this forum. it appears, in one "character selection" dealie picture. that they have decided not to put in a character creation system.

While it's possible (though VERY unlikely) that the art corresponds to your character, and you unlock classes, it looks like they've put in character selection. It also appears from that pic to have a her-dark thing going like sonic adventure 2.

pixelate
May 12, 2003, 10:00 PM
Duping already...

http://www.newtechnix.com/Webmasters/mickurt/Images/PhantasyStarOnlineEpisode3_CARDRevolution_ngc_23.j pg

LollipopLolita
May 12, 2003, 10:52 PM
http://www.pso-world.com/article.php?sid=937&mode=&order=0&thold=0

Atax
May 12, 2003, 11:50 PM
A new video of PSO Episode 3 is available for download, here:

http://www.gamespot.com/gamecube/adventure/pso3cardrevolution/media.html

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Atax on 2003-05-12 21:53 ]</font>

Yoda86
May 13, 2003, 06:10 AM
So can you still customize your own character like in EP I&II ?

Edit: I was kind of thrown off by this pic:

http://www.tothegame.com/screens/gcn_phantasystaronline3/2003-05-12/screen7_large.jpg

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Yoda86 on 2003-05-13 04:11 ]</font>

Aredhel
May 13, 2003, 12:45 PM
This all really sounds like the GC game "Lost Kingdoms." You collected cards that summoned monsters to fight for you. In my opinion, it was just about one the WORST games I've ever played, I was so disappointed in myself for buying it at Best Buy, trusting a good review that EGM gave it.

It's like seeing an old friend killed before your eyes.

Ryo_Hayasa
May 13, 2003, 01:54 PM
ehh.... Ign.com has the movie, but for some reason my Quick Time isn't showing the Picture, ah yes the sound is fine but no picture. anyone able to get the Video to the Public of PSOW? or is that some how illegal. -.-?
i'd have to say i'm interested, though i'm hoping that you don't have to Pay to Play since right now it doesn't seem to be a RPG as i see no level, and well it is a card game, but who knows. it would be cool. transfuring my lvl +100 over to the New PSO with all their Items converted into cards, Easy Acess i say, and guess what this means. since you keep decks everything in your deck is saved, so you can keep all your goodies of mass destruction with you and not worry about FSOD taking it all away.

well i've always wanted to play a Turn Table game that i could do, sorry i'm a Platformer, though i am a thinker. i say i'll give it try, it can't hurt right? plus i can be a Hero, and the bad guy, just think being a Boss for a Group of Newbies and taking them out in one turn. they'd think you were the most powerful boss online. thats what i'm going for

MissJester
May 13, 2003, 03:46 PM
I just downloaded the video. From what i saw, its no longer Phantasy Star Online. If the monsters maybe fought like Monster Rancher, it might have had some value, but this looks awfull. Hopfully they won't have to jump on another bandwagon for Episode 4. Oh, why couldnt this be a side game like in the Final Fantasy game.....

Getintothegame
May 13, 2003, 05:21 PM
So, what do you think C.A.R.D. stands for?

Capture All Rare Decks?
Man, im an idiot.

Elusive_Llama
May 13, 2003, 05:44 PM
Cardgames Are Retarded Dumbass

Getintothegame
May 13, 2003, 05:50 PM
http://www.tothegame.com/screens/gcn_phantasystaronline3/2003-05-12/screen7_large.jpg

By my experience in games... that is an unlocked game character... Also, do you see the 2 other '?' things? I wonder what they are.

Also, people, the game isn't released yet, and you are already judging it. Like back in the DC day, when news came of PSO onto the GC, people were like OMG It'll be hacked sooo quick and such...

Same goes for Zelda AKA. Celda. I know of 3 or 4 people from IGN and my town that thought it would suck. All of them in the end, despite the cel-shading, liked it.

I think some of you may be surprised when this game comes out. One thing I wonder if they fixed is duping, because of the many complaints of it, and how tey were doing it.

So, the moral is to wait and see, the game is many months from release, and that is just in Japan!

Droxitr
May 13, 2003, 07:08 PM
When we got the next batch of pictures here on PSOW, I think I was sold. I would buy this with the provision that there was no pay to play.

EverCrack is enough right now, and if I ever get PSO (Ep 1&2) online... http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Webapprentice
May 13, 2003, 09:06 PM
It looks like there would be a way for your character to level, because the base card does have stats. It probably to win enhancement cards that permanently improve the base card.

The MV attribute reminds me of "movement." So if the battle is probably played out on a movement point system where attacks are issued.

Reenee
May 14, 2003, 12:08 AM
And thus, the PSO World stood divided.

MissJester
May 14, 2003, 08:37 AM
I wonder if Episode 1 & 2 are gonna be on the game. Are you gonna walk up to Dark Faltz and challenge him to a card game, or Vol Opt, for that matter? Is the Sil Dragon gonna sit down and play a game with you? Give me a break, this game is going down the crapper, if there is no head to head, in your face, magic explosions, sword swinging action.

KegOWar
May 14, 2003, 09:25 AM
I think they need to take the bar out of Sonic team's studio right now... they've been knocking back way too much Saki!

I'm dissappointed... so far

Gandalf102
May 14, 2003, 11:52 AM
why couldn't they just upgrade pso instead of changing it into lost kingdoms style rubbish?!

Wolf_Tyrant
May 14, 2003, 12:31 PM
to be honest....i think that sega has the ability to make this a good game...sure there is a posibility that it can be bad but meh....i have faith in sega and i always have...lets just hope that the PSO series doesnt get ruined

Ryo_Hayasa
May 14, 2003, 01:50 PM
Don't Worry Sega and Sonic Team know what they're doing, all the consules have had their own card games, Poke'mon Nintendo
Yu-Gi-Oh Playstation
Sega, well... PSO heh who knew?

needless to say, don't put the game down untill more detailed details are release, hey if you don't like card game then ok, thats fine, just don't put people who like them down. i myself have never played a card game, well here soemthing i could maybe get into, i'm very interested in that HUnewearl and FOmar that keeps showing up....
and the story line. remeber everyone Sega is still trying to Recover from the...(bless the DC) death of Dreamcast, so they've pulled out all the stops they're trying anything and everything to keep in the gamming game, so well here we are PSO C.A.R.D who knows, it might not be that bad, and who knows, they may trash this idea because of so many bashers, it's happen "Conkers 12 tales" a E rated game some how turned into "Conker's Bad Fur DAy" in 5-7 years, Bad Fur Day was one of the best and funniest games i've ever played

Blenjar
May 14, 2003, 02:03 PM
Here's (http://homepage.mac.com/kabaali/iMovieTheater3.html) the clip of episode III

Ryo_Hayasa
May 14, 2003, 03:31 PM
*sighs* thanks -.- but i still online get sound >.< DARN IT

BionicPatriot
May 14, 2003, 05:08 PM
I personnaly think ST fucked up bad here. Sure they changed PSO, but a card game? JESUS HAVE MERCY!!! And to all those comparing this to zelda well, think about it this way, The only diffrence that wind waker had was graphics. This Ep.III has cards?! pssssh...

Arylkia
May 15, 2003, 09:39 PM
what sonic team should have done to keep loyal pso fans and to appeal to the crowd theyre aiming at too is allow different modes. where you can play EITHER normal or card battle in the same game. this way everyone would be pleased.i dont see why they can't if they can do 2 games in one already on one disk why not both types of gameplay? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

King_Rappy
May 15, 2003, 11:04 PM
It appears that the whole card thing is some sort of VR system.

BionicPatriot
May 16, 2003, 08:26 AM
Whta do you mean by VR? and neways, I agree, that is what they should have done. Because some would prefer the card game and other (like myself) would like the regular PSO.

Getintothegame
May 16, 2003, 10:40 PM
On 2003-05-15 21:04, King_Rappy wrote:
It appears that the whole card thing is some sort of VR system.

Hmm... I'm thinking about the quest menu when I hear that... you know, if that was true... if only.

But something really interesting caught my attention today:

Play online and interact with Hunters from PSO Episode I & II in the lobby.

Hmm... Will we be able to talk to the people in Vega, Deneb, Anteres, and the other ship??

Kinda sounds like PSO episode 1 & 2 ver. 2... Except with cards.

EDIT: K, I just got the video to finally to work... Wow, it looks good! And the city! Wow! It's breathtaking! I don't care what you guys say, it looks damn good! Hmm... I have no clue what they mean by "Play online and interact with Hunters from PSO Episode I & II in the lobby."... Do they think all players will go to their new game? Hmmm... I wonder...

Now, quit complaining and look at it- Enjoy, it's the last of a legacy...

For those of you that can't see the video, here's pretty much what's in it:
- Starts off with the challengers (2) rolling their stats...

Then a Nanodragon appears, A card is next to it- the card has dots, not stars to show rarity. For instance, the nanodragon has 2 gray circles and 5 gold.

Then there's a screen after that, showing what cards you can use. You see almost all booma cards across the bottom of the screen... Booma has 2 gold stars. Then it shows a grid showing where you can place the enemy. Place it, and watch it appear. Then, you select another card. They chose a booma, but you can seea gee card very well. A gee has 1 star. Again, a grid appears, and you can place it.
All for now, g2g.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Getintothegame on 2003-05-16 20:57 ]</font>

Sedyne
May 17, 2003, 10:27 AM
I hope SOnic Team dies after they release this game ^_^

JK

RayBladeX
May 18, 2003, 05:07 AM
I happened to be at E3 and watched the demo play itself and during one part of it, a character (Fonewm) was chatting and said "Which game do you want to play? PSO or PSO Card?". PSO is what we all know and love and we already know what PSO Card is.

If this game is only the card part then I won't buy it. But since the above statement is something I saw with my very own eyes it's good news to me. I suggest that everyone just keep an open mind about the game until more (definite) info is released on the final product.

RBX *PTS*

Piro-Skies
May 18, 2003, 08:19 AM
Hmmm, I've got mixed views on this at the moment. I mean this could be interesting, having the Cards as a bonus mode and still be able to play normal PSO. Yet it may just be complete rubbish.

Good thing I live in the UK, so I can hear the US views first.

(Piro Skies)

Nai_Calus
May 18, 2003, 03:44 PM
On 2003-05-12 15:58, janitorbob wrote:
i dont know if this was mentioned, but i havent seen one mag... you cant leave the mags out! Mags cant stand in unemployment lines!!!

Amen. I go back to P2 every other room these days, because between the 2-4 Mags I'm always raising and all the food for 'em, I only have around 6 spaces in my inventory for stuff I find. At least all the Trifluids and Trimate keep me from having to worry about losing money when I die, my bank never stays full long. :-P

But yeah. I'd better be able to still do Mag farming. I'll tolerate the cards, I suppose, as long as I still have Mags to farm.

Frozt
May 19, 2003, 08:06 PM
Well I on the other hand think its quite a change sometimes things need a little change plus I have been watching Yu-Ghi-Oh lately and I was real intrested in it after I actualy sat down to it, maybe this new pso turn based thing wont be so bad but what I do have a problem with is this from
GameFront-

"Sonic Team recently sat down with Japan's Famitsu to talk about its upcoming GameCube online-RPG, Phantasy Star Online Episode III: C.A.R.D. Revolution. According to the article, PSOEIII will be the last Phantasy Star Online title for any console, current or future. No reasons for given for Sonic Team's decision, but this should prove fatal for some addicts. "

Now that I have a problem with for the last PSO online game for the love of god dont make it a card one, I dont really know if its true but when something likes this is said it strikes my heart.

Muku6
May 21, 2003, 06:45 PM
It's interesting to see some people have high hopes for it. I did... until I went to E3. :/

The huge tip off should have been seeing no line, and only once in a blue moon watching a single person play it, mostly for media purposes. (They would take notes and their badge read Media.) I had high hopes, then I kind of watched it in action the first two days, and it really disappointed me.

The third day I decided to tackle the game and grab the controller. I like the fact you can choose from Hunters or the Arks, but, the card part of it all just plainly sucks. I found out that it was too slow for my taste. And to be honest the graphics weren't that spectacular. I was excited to see screen shots before I went, but they must have had it on some nice TV and spiffied up the screen shots, because what I saw on screen was far from that awe I had when first seeing first screen shots.

I guess just overall I'm really disappointed. It was one of the few games I was looking forward to trying at E3, yet was my biggest disappointment there. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif I did however take video of it. Not sure how many videos there are out there now (or even free ones) but I run a site and took my own video of it at E3 and have it hosted. I also have an affiliate that is hosting the same video. (The owner of that website went to E3 with me, so we are sharing a lot of the same resources we took at E3.)

If you wanna take look at the video, feel free to click one of the links below and find the video. If ChocoboLake is out of bandwidth, then you may be forced to go to OMC-Games. I linked to the pages where the videos are on to save bandwidth. Thanks!

http://www.omc-games.com/hggj/e3/e303/e303day3.html

OR

http://www.chocobolake.net/e32003/day3.html

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Muku6 on 2003-05-21 16:47 ]</font>

Nai_Calus
May 21, 2003, 09:46 PM
Meh, it doesn't look very inspiring. And I don't see how Mags could be adapted to that sort of thing. I'm even less interested than I was. Sad.

Drakuun
May 22, 2003, 02:46 AM
Just a wee bit too early to make judgement on the game.

I'm as disappointed that it isn't a true 'sequel' as the rest of you, but it could still be nifty.

Tiirani
May 22, 2003, 02:39 PM
I think it could be interesting. True, PSO is an action/adventure game right now, but I don't see why it has to stay that way.

Being a fan of the old Phantasy Star series (I cut my teeth on PS2, fell in love with Nei (not romantically, just liked the character a lot)! I wrote stories, for gosh sakes) which was the standard console turn based RPG fighting, I don't really see a Card battle game as being all that freaky.

Of course, I also played Magic for years with my boyfriend and friends, so .. It could be cool.

What I would like to see is a tie in with the GBA and the e-card reader. Publish special PSOIII cards that give new powerups or abilities.

I'm willing to give the developers the benefit of the doubt since I've loved all the games that Sonic Team has done so far.

ShadowDragon28
May 22, 2003, 04:39 PM
I never cared much for TGC or CCG's but after several video trailers i've seen, I may be swayed to getting and playing PSO Ep3 C.A.R.D. Revoluions. If the final game plays like Lost Kingdoms or Kartia meets Shining Force meets PSO and has enough nice diferent kinds of aspects of gameplay. I'll definate give it a CHANCE. Instead of passing judgement based on a barely 30% done DEMO version....

BTW... how a 30% *early* build of the game plays and looks that was shown at E3 2003 is *NOT* reflective of the final game!
It's not even a BETA version of the game yet! Jeez, people, ease up already.

BTW the demo version of PSO for the Dreamcast only had Humar, Ramar, and Fonewearl, 4 types of mags that didn't evovle and only P2, and on ragol: only the Forest area and no others.

If I were to assume that was what the final PSO game was, I would be really disappointed, but when i was at E3 2000 I knew better.

Muku6
May 22, 2003, 08:41 PM
I'll definate give it a CHANCE. Instead of passing judgement based on a barely 30% done DEMO version....

BTW... how a 30% *early* build of the game plays and looks that was shown at E3 2003 is *NOT* reflective of the final game!
It's not even a BETA version of the game yet! Jeez, people, ease up already.

DUH, IF it is even 30%. But I can say I'm not into TCG or CCG video games. If I want to play a card game I'll play it with actual cards in front of someone. Video game card games are so pointless and pathetic that they're a waste of time IMHO. Yes, I said IMHO. Anyone who speaks their mind is speaking IN THEIR HUMBLE OPINION. So instead of jumping on me for stating what I said, realize whatever anyone says is their opinion.

Fine. You go spend your 50 dollars on a game. I don't care. It's not my hard earned money that I hear being flushed. (OMG I SPOKE my opinion again...) The fact that battle moves too slow for my taste, aside from the fact card games suck period on video games, is another huge factor.

With a series that is known for one way then suddenly changed, doesn't mean it's good. I think Sega is on way too late for this video game card craze. Yea, you collect and have to have some strategy, but it provides no fun factor for me. I want to be moving and doing stuff, not sorting through my "cards" to use for my next battle.

The fact the graphics aren't any better is another huge disappointment. They could have at least done some better models for their characters.

But, oh lord, I spoke my mind again and your gonna come babble your blessed head off with stupid stuff even though anyone ever says is their opinion and you have to some degree come to terms with it.

So before you get on your high horse and get all "OMG SAVE TEH PSO 3!!!!!!!" just shut up and listen to peoples opinions. What I say doesn't mean everyone agrees, but I don't want to hear your bull malarky about it either. Everyones entitled to their own opinion, so suck it up or shut up.

Tiirani
May 22, 2003, 10:05 PM
So .. you can have an opinion .. but nobody else can.

Got it.

I think you're the only person who has a problem with someone stating thier opinion. Until your post, everything was pretty civil.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tiirani on 2003-05-22 20:06 ]</font>

Muku6
May 23, 2003, 03:21 PM
Uh everyone has opinions. But he goes blasting me for mine, which is was pretty uncivil. I have the right to speak my mind but I don't think I should get blasted out of the water for my own.

Shattered_weasel
May 24, 2003, 12:16 AM
who said it was pokemon or Yu-gi-oh....NO ONE...GOD.
Also them japanese people arn't trying to plz the US. They are going with what is the fad in Japan. Let them do what they want and mabye it will turn into a great game or maybe it well suck. No one knows yet. BUT IT ISN'T yu-gi-oh!!!!

Alisha
May 24, 2003, 04:03 AM
based on the 2 videos ive seen so far it seems as if attack/block animations arent even in the game yet
also some you need stop only thinking of the bad and try to think of the potential good this could help bring some much needed balance to the game

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Alisha on 2003-05-24 02:07 ]</font>

Alisha
May 24, 2003, 04:28 AM
the more i see of this game the more interested i am
http://www.ninjagamer.com/doraemon/psov4/screen8_large.jpghere we see the hildebear it seems he has an attacl range of the 3 spaces directly in front of him gotta love the artwork to that hildebear is about to break that humars face http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif
http://www.ninjagamer.com/doraemon/psov4/screen9_large.jpghere we see dark flow it appears to ahve the same attack range as a hildebear
http://www.ninjagamer.com/doraemon/psov4/screen13_large.jpghmn i wonder what now printing means
http://www.ninjagamer.com/doraemon/psov4/screen16_large.jpgnotice the range on foie and also im pretty sure there is no orange fomarl costume that looks like that

Blue_Seth
May 24, 2003, 11:11 AM
Man, I really need to stay informed. I didn't even know that they had plans to make episode 3!

Yoda86
May 24, 2003, 12:22 PM
Good points Alisha. Also, when I looked at screenshots of the game and watched the videos, one question still remains in my mind.

Why is there a force type guy always with the enemies you have to face? Does he create them under his control or something?

One thing is for sure, I'll buy this game whether it be bad or good.

blaketx11
May 25, 2003, 12:54 PM
Ya know this is starting to remind me of a little GBA game (and SNES, PSX, N64, etc) called Tactics Ogre. It doesn't deal with cards at all, but it's a grid-based RPG that focuses on attack distance, counterattacks, etc. It's kinda like RPG chess.
Dammit I just wish PSO 3 woulda been an improvement on 2..
Oh well I'll give it the ol college try..

Redleaf
May 25, 2003, 06:04 PM
I was wondering... maybe the card game is a new player vs player game? Because you barely fight against other humans in PSOI&II, and all the screenshots here feature a human as opponent... just a thought...

XGhostX
May 26, 2003, 12:14 AM
looks dumb, i hate the whole card game video game thing, butim gonna end up getting it because im a pso nut..

Roger13531
May 26, 2003, 09:04 PM
Looks really COOL

darkstaraz
May 26, 2003, 10:02 PM
pso 3 will be on XBOX?

DarkShinjaru
May 27, 2003, 11:43 PM
By card game I thought they meant like, Final Fantasy 8 Triple Triad..this looks a lot better than my idea lol, I'll buy it. Of couse, last thing I need is some Olga Flow card owning me

TsukasatheLegend
May 29, 2003, 12:25 AM
AAAAAH GOD NOT TRIPLE TRIAD!! Ugh...that had to be the most pitiful thing square could have thought of... I dont know if I will like this new game...but i will most certainly give it a try..it looks like lost kingdoms..i hope it is a bit better than that..if i dont like it,its not like Playing episode 1&2 my whole life will bother me XD. I want to buy it..just to try it out..its turn based..i like that, but once again, i miss the old battle engine, lets just hope this one doesnt divebomb on us, eh?

TsukasatheLegend
May 29, 2003, 12:25 AM
<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TsukasatheLegend on 2003-05-29 02:28 ]</font>

ShadowDragon28
May 29, 2003, 12:48 PM
Lol I post my opinion and then bashed for it LOL. Whatever.
I never even mentioned Muku's name in the post at all. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, i never said or implies any opinion is right or wrong. I expressed mine.

30% early build of a game still does not = %100 done build of a game. No way around that. Those that have any amount of Game Bug Testing experience would know that the *final* i.e. the Finished build of a game can be much, much more refined, speedy and improved compared to its early build.

If a player hates PSO Ep 3, or just dislikes it; thats their right. I refrain from jumping to conclusions and judgements until I know far more about how the *finished* game is like.

FYI I never said "Save teh PSO 3" lol.
Great going; quoting something I never typed or implied.

I dont care all that much for CCG's, TCG are "ok", I don't like Pokemon, why? Because the art & design of the creatures are horrible, the cartoon is sappy, and the CCG can be highly unbalanced and the greed involved (from spoiled rotten whiny screaming brats addicted to Puke'mon cards like Crack) Has fueled my distaste for Pokemon. The excessive competition,inflation and uber-greedyness of CCG i am feed up with. The basic Tactical/Strategy type gameplay is actually somewhat fun, sort of like chess.

So far IMO PSO Ep 3 might have enough unique aspects and other elements to make it interesting, promising, and probably pretty darn fun. I don't know, it's just the impression i get from seeing all the video clips of PSO Ep 3.

I will give ST at least a monocum of a benefit of doubt, and have a little faith that they will create a fun, exciting game. IMO

I'm *not* saying anyone has to feel the same way i do, i am *not* saying to *anyone* that "you must like it, or else". Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. So get up off my back Muku. And just relax. Sheesh.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ShadowDragon28 on 2003-05-29 10:50 ]</font>

Tad15
May 30, 2003, 07:03 PM
I refuse to reject or accept this game on the grounds that I have yet to play it and cannot make an informed opinion.

Getintothegame
May 30, 2003, 07:09 PM
On 2003-05-30 17:03, Tad15 wrote:
I refuse to reject or accept this game on the grounds that I have yet to play it and cannot make an informed opinion.

PEOPLE:
IT ISN'T OUT YET! (Wow!)
Some of you are already judging it...
Where is that comic I had...

Horosha_Onikage
Jun 4, 2003, 12:15 AM
I still believe that this is a mistake. Why not:

1) Improve graphics
2) Improve AI
3) Improve the Battle System (As one poster noted before, the current Zelda battle systems are excellent for this purpose. I could imagine going toe-to-toe against another player in Battle Mode like this. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif)
4) Create a more immersive environment and story to help move the game along

Instead of making this a turn based card battle game? I like card games and all (played Magic the Gathering, a bit of Yu-Gi-Oh!) but if I wanted to play a card game, I'd play it for the direct interaction, since the player is there in person. Nothing beats that expression of awe your opponent shows when you've just defeated his 'sure win' strategy. How can you get that from an online card game?

Turn-based battle design isn't something that'll work online. It ruins the continuity of a multiplayer RPG. Imagine waiting 30 minutes just for someone to finally finish their turn. Not something that I'd want to do.

ST, please just make this card aspect a portion of the game, not the game itself. And yes, I'm basing my opinions off of a game that isn't even half made. Usually, by this time, games already have it's base, all that's left is to build around it.

Reenee
Jun 4, 2003, 06:01 PM
I just like to point this out:

I used Altavista and checked out the JP official page and I could only make out what I could:

-The game will be released around Fall in Japan.
-The game will be able to enter the same lobbies with Episode I & II users, like Version 2, in a way.

Ka-Pyroman
Jun 5, 2003, 09:24 PM
Ok it is different but i like the idea. But like a few of you have said i should wait tell it comes out. I well most likely buy it so... yea.

MAGusZ87
Jun 5, 2003, 09:52 PM
This game looks okay if it's just the card battle system, but if u can add data from Ep1&2 then that and if u can fight like normal makes the game buyable instead of rent material. still im considering buying it even its it not- its PS its (slightly) better graphics/resolution and it looks like a cool card game

TinyD
Jun 6, 2003, 04:35 AM
Ah, so card battles are really popular now are they?

So how come I don't know anyone who's into that then?

Getintothegame
Jun 6, 2003, 06:41 PM
Does anyone live in Japan? I need to demo the game, I'll pay for everything, the game, shipping, etc. I'll even pay the person who does it, too!

Well, lemme get my check first...

Morrigan
Jun 7, 2003, 04:59 AM
Im with getintothegame on theis one......anyone from japan that is on this forum I will pay double the worht of the whole package to get my hands on this beta...I believe this game will be great!

Newho....first off I am kinda gettin tired of hack'n'slashin.....come on 3 straight years of it tends to get a tad old....this is a nice unique twist...yes i know the card battle games have been done...but not w/the pso license...actually this game is lookin like to me kinda like the turnbase of shining force mixed w/cards....and if anyone says they hated shining force they need their thumbs cut off....from the video from e3 its also lookin like to be some sort of add'on...like who knows....ep I and II might be on this new disc as well. Transfer your character to ep III and travel thru the same servers as InII......like someone already mentioned kinda like how v1 and v2 ppl interacted

the online looks to be PvP just another battle add on if you ask me.....it is SOMETHING to break the tedious boredom of hack'n'slash

Dont get me wrong i love pso w/every thread of my existance...change isnt always bad...

So enter this game w/a grain of salt and dont be too optimistic...this just may be what will start selling pso to a new crowd and possibly make sonicteam/sega some money for a change...OOOO and what does money in seag's pocket mean....new and better games thats what....

-Morrigan

Ramsey
Jun 8, 2003, 11:58 AM
Does ep.3 have its own servers but can go on ep.1 and 2s? And if it does can it work in reverse order(ep.1 and 2 players go on ep. 3 servers).
-Ramsey

MAGusZ87
Jun 8, 2003, 06:11 PM
hey i just had a sudden theory-
maybe, like a month right after PSO EpIII comes out, an EpIV will come out and Ep3 is just there to scare the ____ out of every hardcore PSOer (or to introduce new players to the whole concept of the game w/ the flashy cards and stuff, then subtly hint that they get the Ep1&2) and Ep4 is like Ep1&2 but w/ much better graphics, char trans, etc.
then again, that C.A.R.D. could still only be like a mini-game theory also still could be true.
just some mind candy 4 u guys 2 munch on -__-;

Deathcall
Jun 9, 2003, 09:29 PM
I dont care what you Idiots think! This is a game that is gonna help catch people into PSO even if they dont like action games then if they release another action PSO Those people who liked C.A.R.D will be out of sheer fandom playing the action game and making it more popular. hence more money so more support = less FSOD and BSOD. Plus the game itself looks awesome and will probably play great. I mean who hasnt ever dreamed of kickin other players butts with enemies that they could set out at a mere draw of a card. I shudder to think you guys are giving this game a bad label just because it goes to card battling. I mean the possibilities are endless what about mag cards that can attack opponents as if they were a monster. In the end its up to individual descisions who will play this game but i think this game will rock so I'll try it. But think about it. It could have endless possibilities: Online only cards? Importing weapons from first games for parrellel weapon cards in-game? Secret goodies? who knows? I'm done now.

Getintothegame
Jun 9, 2003, 11:07 PM
On 2003-06-08 16:11, MAGusZ87 wrote:
hey i just had a sudden theory-
maybe, like a month right after PSO EpIII comes out, an EpIV will come out and Ep3 is just there to scare the ____ out of every hardcore PSOer (or to introduce new players to the whole concept of the game w/ the flashy cards and stuff, then subtly hint that they get the Ep1&2) and Ep4 is like Ep1&2 but w/ much better graphics, char trans, etc.
then again, that C.A.R.D. could still only be like a mini-game theory also still could be true.
just some mind candy 4 u guys 2 munch on -__-;

Episode 3 is the last PSO ever.

Getintothegame
Jun 12, 2003, 04:32 PM
On 2003-06-08 09:58, Ramsey wrote:
Does ep.3 have its own servers but can go on ep.1 and 2s? And if it does can it work in reverse order(ep.1 and 2 players go on ep. 3 servers).
-Ramsey

They keep saying that the servers will be the same as EP1 and 2.

Beorn
Jun 13, 2003, 04:54 PM
I'm not great at card games, but change is good, you cant stay the same forever. I mean, if PSO III was just an improved version, instead of whining about a card game, we'd whine about how we hated that there werent any new gameplay changes.

wicked_angel
Jun 13, 2003, 05:44 PM
I'm of the "wait and see" school of thought on this CARD stuff...who knows? Could be good....could totally suck...could totally change lol.

Tipay
Jun 13, 2003, 08:19 PM
Okay I don't feel like going and getting the quote, but I completely agree w/ Nash (just look at the bottem of the first page of this thread)...except that I like those 'simple' battles, kicking Ultimate Mode Booma butt w/ a few friends and finding new items is my idea of a good time...well, more or less. Anyway, I played that "Lost Kingdoms" card game-ish thing on the GameCube awhile ago, not the best game, I wouldn't buy it, but it's worth a rent or two. Plus, I like PSO so much that I'd buy Ep. III even if it's only as good as "Lost Kingdoms"...but I trust that Sonic Team can deliver yet another satisfying game.

DarkShinjaru
Jun 16, 2003, 03:47 AM
The only thing on my mind is how cards will be traded...Will it be like Triple Triad for Final Fantasy 8? I mean, what if the person leaves and takes a crap or something, and seeing as this isnt real time, you gotta waitttttttt lol. Then if ya leave, he wins and grabs your cards. Hurray o_o;

Anyways, the game looks good. I'll probably buy it and play offline until i can get a BBA; I happen to have a dialup modem but not the broadband ~_~ horse shyt. I'm sure that, deep down, we all love Pokemon and Yugioh ^__________^ lol

DarkTower
Jun 16, 2003, 07:46 PM
If I want turn based crap I'll break out the NES. I hope that the Japanese players like it so someone in Sonic Team don't lose their job. No... wait I don't care if they lose their job or not.
You hear that loud sucking sound? That would be PSO Episode 3.

Genoa
Jun 17, 2003, 09:18 AM
On 2003-04-28 22:50, EvilMoose wrote:
*sigh*
Not another card game
god damn pokemon

Hey Pokemon's the **** man. Ain't nuthin wrong with it. Besides, this game should take more Strategy than the other PSO's. I think it's going to be better than I and II. But then again I maybe wrong :/

Allos
Jun 17, 2003, 09:31 AM
This is my first post so here it goes.

I 'm not going to say that this game is going to suck, but i remain skeptical. I mean, c'mon! CARDS?

Auro
Jun 20, 2003, 10:18 PM
Cards can be fun! Look at Lost Kingdoms and Magic: The Gathering!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Auro on 2003-06-20 20:37 ]</font>

Blackwaltz-R
Jun 22, 2003, 07:22 PM
If you don't like it thats fine, oh well, thats on you, you can continue to play the repetative hack and slasher if you wish, thats fine, no1 is forcing you 2 play, players of eps3 will share the lobbies with players of eps1&2 i, like many others, are willing to try something NEW, its not like we have to completely ditch eps1&2, its just another online game, its not like many of you don't already play other online games besides PSO, if your gonna complain about eps3, you migh as well complain about other online games in GENERAL, atleast this next installment lets you communicate with eps1&2 users, the only real thing to complain about would be a whole new fee to pay, ESPECIALLY if you play both games, otherwise, play, or don't play, expand, or stay stationary, your choice.

animeinvader
Jun 22, 2003, 08:42 PM
On 2003-04-28 13:20, Vantamiath wrote:
Ok. I'm just going to get this outta my system.

Quit Bitching. Quit Bitching. Quit Bitching. Quit Bitching. Quit Bitching.

ok, now to talk about it..

I think it's pretty fucking lame of you guys to rag on this game after you've seen 3 screenshots and a children's novel worth of information.

The argument about this being to follow trends is very ignorant. This was planned and in the works before the GC PSO hit, unfortunatly, it died off at the last E3 and nobody ever heard from it again.

I'll admit, I never would have seen PSO going card game, or turn based for that matter...but I think you should give this a chance before you start ranting-most of which is based on a few words . (Oh shit! CARD is in the title! PSO franchise is fucked! Uh oh...this 24 word paragraph says turn based! Sega is LLLLAAAME)

Wait and see.

I agree!! If you're really "hardcore" to the entire PSO franchise, then you'd support it through thick and thin!

Reenee
Jun 23, 2003, 03:26 PM
http://segadirect.jp/Catalog/CustomPages/CustomDetail2.aspx?SKU=0101011-00035&File=pso3cr_try_gc.htm

Somebody please decipher it!

Nai_Calus
Jun 23, 2003, 05:21 PM
Babelfish is your friend, and good for a few laughs as well. Hmm... Basically, information on the trial version. Stuff that jumps out... It looks like it says that you won't be able to use the data from the trial version in the release version, to keep everyone on the same level when the game comes out... From that I personally would infer that it also would not have a thing like Ver.1 to Ver.2 and that you wouldn't be able to use your characters/items from Ep1&2... There's mention of an offline mode, so that makes me happy to know there is one. No mention of how that will be played out that I can see, but it's hard to tell anything for certain, given the iffiness of webpage translations. >_>; I'm not sure if you'll need to be able to get online for the release version or not, you do have to be able to for the trial version, but I can't tell... *shrug* Just what little bit I can pull out of it. Someone who actually reads Japanese to a better depth than kana and a few kanji and doesn't have to rely on Babelfish could probably tell things with more certainty. ^^;

At least there won't be a bunch of BKB-weilding n00bmars the very first day, eh? XP

Human_Typhoon
Jun 24, 2003, 01:42 PM
looks kick ass!!!!!!!!!!

Flame
Jun 24, 2003, 02:10 PM
Its on the pages of the most Recent EGM. And they've tracked down the rumour thats on ever PSO freaks mind. IF you have the mag, u already know, if u dont. . well then pull your ear in closely and listen.
Straight from the pages of EGM is says(I have CAPed the important parts):

What you heard: "Phantasy Star Online will be done, dead, nada, zilch, after Episode III C.A.R.D. Revolution comes out."

The Q's Sources say: Well, this ones half right-Episode 3 will be the last chapter. . .of THIS pso story. It'll wrap up the current plot line of Red Ring Rico and Pioneer 1 and Pioneer 2, But its definitly NOT OVER FOR GOOD. Talk that SOnic team is working on a NEW FULL-LENGTH pso has been going on for some time, but the hot tip now is that the game will feature a full SEPERATE OFFLINE PHANTASY STAR IN ADDITION TO THE ONLINE ADVENTURE.

Now, PSO freaks, before you run around jumping, or go running to the bathroom to let out your excitement, or even curse at me or whatever. YEs this is from the pages of EGM.
HOWEVER IT IS FROM THE RUMOR PAGE OF EGM. This is in no way, 100% fact. But, I sure hope to god it is. Have a nice day people.

I had previously put this in its own topic as it is about the future of PSO in general. . but somebody dropped a hint to put it in here. . grrr. .

Jagasha-Hiei
Jun 24, 2003, 03:15 PM
THIS GAME IS FUCKED UP BAD, Y THE FUCK WUD A MONSTER USE CARDS, THEYD FUCKIN CUT UR FUCKIN SKULL UP. THIS IS SO THE BIGGEST DISSOPIONTMENT, HUNTERS DONT USE CARDS, Y SHUD THEY, THEY WUD USE FUCKIN WEPS AND SHIT TO KILL MONSTERS
hunter:lets card duel
monster: okay
30 mins later...
hunter: haha i won now give me ur meseta
monster: this is bull crap, who can i talk and y dont i just fuck u up as usual,o well
THIS IS LIKE SOME FUCKIN NON VIOLENT SHIT LIKE YUGIOH, THE BIGGEST ANIME DISSOPIONTMENT, CARDS ARE GAY, FIGHTING IS GHETTO, CARDS ARE FOR WEAK NERDS WHO CANT PUNCH. PSO IS MADE FOR FIGHTING ENEMIES OVER AND OVER TO KICK THERE ASS THATS Y ITS FUN,
NOT TO BE GAY AND GIRLY. THEY SHUD CALL THIS PSO, 7 YEAR OLD EDITION

Jagasha-Hiei
Jun 24, 2003, 03:23 PM
On 2003-06-16 17:46, DarkTower wrote:
If I want turn based crap I'll break out the NES. I hope that the Japanese players like it so someone in Sonic Team don't lose their job. No... wait I don't care if they lose their job or not.
You hear that loud sucking sound? That would be PSO Episode 3.

I CANT AGREE with u more, cuz once pso, pussy edition comes out, ep 1&2 wont get maintance and that wud suk ass, when Nobunaga online comes out ill get that and look back and say FUCK u sonic team for ruining PSO,

LegendaryMage
Jun 24, 2003, 03:36 PM
Ok you've made your point, you dont like cards, just dont buy the game then.

Darn, we are going to share lobbies with Ep 1&2 still? I was hoping to get away from the beggers...

Moo2u
Jun 24, 2003, 04:36 PM
On 2003-06-24 13:36, LegendaryMage wrote:
Ok you've made your point, you dont like cards, just dont buy the game then.

Darn, we are going to share lobbies with Ep 1&2 still? I was hoping to get away from the beggers...

Beggers apear where ever. You can't get gid of them! Ever... -_-;

And ya, I'm really wondering if you can use your Ep 1 & 2 characters with this game as well. That would be neet if it could intertwin like that.

Jagasha-Hiei
Jun 24, 2003, 06:24 PM
im just sharing my point with every1 else becuz this game makes no sence, y wud monsters use cards theyd rather bust open the guys face, and if hunters are investigating on ragol theyd use weapons not cards

Numein
Jun 24, 2003, 07:07 PM
I dunno about you guys but I think it'll be fun! I love all types of card games, especially ones with massive ammounts of depth. Think about it. It wouldn't be too hard for Sega to make new cards or anything. So that could be almost infinite depth. Plus it's Pso and continues the storyline so some pressure is on them too make it good!

Flame
Jun 24, 2003, 08:10 PM
Dude. Monsters are NOT using cards. Your characters are using the cards. Dont make me smack you.

Daikarin
Jun 25, 2003, 07:26 AM
Does anyone know details about the card gameplay?

Maya
Jun 25, 2003, 08:42 AM
That's kinda neat, definitly different from what's I'm used to but I'd like to give it a try... prolly buy it considering how much I love PSO and that it's for mah cube! <3

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Maya on 2003-06-25 06:43 ]</font>

SubstanceD
Jun 25, 2003, 02:16 PM
On 2003-04-29 03:22, Danderdag wrote:
Turn based isnt a complaint, it's the whole 'card battle' aspect. I mean in many peoples eyes, Real time 'ruined' phantasy star =p
PS1 2 and 4 are some of my favorite RPGs ever. I love PSO to death, but that doesn't mean I even really consider it a phantasy star game. Get what I mean? this seems like cashing in on name recognition and I agree with the person who said it creates brand confusion. I can't see it helping in the long run.

Much like Danderdag said, my main complaint about Episode 3 is not the fact that it is turn based, I can see why many may feel that this is a bad thing especially in an online enviroment with multiple players but I like turn based games and I think the turn based gameplay will add more depth to the combat in PSO, my main complaint is the CARD aspect of the gameplay. Personally I don't see how the additions of CARDS is going to make this game better, instead of being a game about skill it now becomes a game of chance, kate the Yu Gi OH Card games for example, first of all you have to collect cards in order to build your deck and the card collection thing itself is very random, sometimes you get good cards, somtimes you get crap ones. Then once you have your deck and you are playing the game you find that once again it becomes a game of chance, you can only play the cards that you have in your hand, you may have strong cards in your deck but if you can't draw them than you can't play them.

As it stands right now I will more than likely purcahse episode 3 when it comes out ( manly because I like the Phantasy Star series and I like PSO so hopefully Sega and Sonic Team can continue to maintain the quality ) bearing in mimd that my final decision will be made many months from now when more info becomes available about this game and reviews start springing up from the Japanese and American releases ( probably the only decent thing about living in Europe is that since it takes soo long to localise games for over here we can read up on all the US reviews before we comit to buying a game ). I personally am still holding out for the CARD battle feature to just to be an extra gameplay mode instead of a standard thing although that is becoming less and less likly as time goes by.

Jagasha-Hiei
Jun 25, 2003, 02:54 PM
On 2003-06-24 18:10, Flame wrote:
Dude. Monsters are NOT using cards. Your characters are using the cards. Dont make me smack you.

if monsters are not using cards then how can u hurt them with cards other then throwing them at the monsters
y wud u use cards to investigate a planet, this is bullshit, weapons are better cuz they kill, KILL KILL KILL KILL KILL KILL, thats the key word. u wont stop monsters by playing cards on a table, u have to kill them, thats done without cards

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jagasha-Hiei on 2003-06-25 12:59 ]</font>

Flame
Jun 25, 2003, 02:57 PM
The way i see it, its all simulation. . who else can u make a monster appear by having a card?

Jagasha-Hiei
Jun 25, 2003, 03:03 PM
thats gay, so its just a simulated game, no ragol, just a card board

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jagasha-Hiei on 2003-06-25 13:05 ]</font>

Niteshade
Jun 25, 2003, 06:09 PM
Looks sweet.http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wet-trout.gif

PumpkinKing
Jun 25, 2003, 06:34 PM
ep III looks like its a great game, i like playing card games but i never thought pso wud b a card game i will most definitly play it just for the fact its a pso game and itll prolly b good

Nei3rd
Jun 25, 2003, 09:25 PM
It does look nice. But chances are I'll never get tired of screaming "Lets get ready to d-d-d-d-d-duel!!!!" and callin everyone Joey, etc. Damn you Yu-Gi-Oh!

jonny-5
Jun 26, 2003, 02:28 PM
I will most liekly buy it, but if I do they better have a freaking append disk or full-blown sequel coming right after it...

jonny-5
Jun 26, 2003, 02:54 PM
... Does anyone know if any import shops are or will be selling the trial? They did it last year and I was wondering if the will continue to do the same.

Nambrosia
Jun 26, 2003, 05:24 PM
EpIII looks very nice... I will definitely be buying it.

P.S. His original name wasn't "Joey", his name is Katsuya Jonouchi. 4Kids changed it to "Joey" in their dub.
P.S.S. That opening with 'd-d-d-d-duel' in it is a 4Kids creation as well.

DarkBlade3
Jun 27, 2003, 12:12 PM
Srry to ask but what is the release date for PSO 3?

DarkBlade3
Jun 27, 2003, 12:25 PM
Personaly im not really into card based games but because its PSO we can be looking forward to seeing a good game anyway. And i was also just woundering when the release date was?

jonny-5
Jun 27, 2003, 08:00 PM
I am not certain that a Japanese release date has been set, but I believe the Trial in Japan goes out on July 24th.

blaketx11
Jun 28, 2003, 10:05 AM
On 2003-06-24 12:10, Flame wrote:
Its on the pages of the most Recent EGM. And they've tracked down the rumour thats on ever PSO freaks mind. IF you have the mag, u already know, if u dont. . well then pull your ear in closely and listen.
Straight from the pages of EGM is says(I have CAPed the important parts):

What you heard: "Phantasy Star Online will be done, dead, nada, zilch, after Episode III C.A.R.D. Revolution comes out."

The Q's Sources say: Well, this ones half right-Episode 3 will be the last chapter. . .of THIS pso story. It'll wrap up the current plot line of Red Ring Rico and Pioneer 1 and Pioneer 2, But its definitly NOT OVER FOR GOOD. Talk that SOnic team is working on a NEW FULL-LENGTH pso has been going on for some time, but the hot tip now is that the game will feature a full SEPERATE OFFLINE PHANTASY STAR IN ADDITION TO THE ONLINE ADVENTURE.

Now, PSO freaks, before you run around jumping, or go running to the bathroom to let out your excitement, or even curse at me or whatever. YEs this is from the pages of EGM.
HOWEVER IT IS FROM THE RUMOR PAGE OF EGM. This is in no way, 100% fact. But, I sure hope to god it is. Have a nice day people.

I had previously put this in its own topic as it is about the future of PSO in general. . but somebody dropped a hint to put it in here. . grrr. .

Dude that's like the best news i've heard in a while.
THANKS!
*head spins at thought of new PSO*
Jesus I was really worried this card thing would be the end, now there looks to be hope!!!

jonny-5
Jun 28, 2003, 06:45 PM
Wouldn't it be great if we found out later on that the card game is only a greater addition like Battle and Challenge was for v2.. and in addition Sonic Team announced that they would have several new maps and items for the regular ep 1 and 2 game that would be included in PSO Episode 3!

One can only dream http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

LLS_Nazgul
Jun 28, 2003, 08:21 PM
In PSO 3 do players have to take turns? And if it is that sounds kind of dumb.

Xion810
Jun 29, 2003, 12:26 PM
IGN has info on PSO3 being in a trial version.

http://cube.ign.com/articles/422/422849p1.html

jonny-5
Jun 30, 2003, 08:21 PM
Not to be an ass, but isn't that old news Xion? Anyways, I guess it is fine since I havent seen it posted in this thread yet. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

lil_devil
Jul 1, 2003, 07:42 AM
THEY MIGHT AS WELL HAVE MADE A YU-GI-OH GAME! YOU DONT LIKE ME WHEN IM MAD!

Roy_The_Boy
Jul 1, 2003, 11:35 AM
this sux now they goin 2 make pso some lame ass card game i like the graphics though

Lornox_5
Jul 1, 2003, 05:25 PM
Here's a question that I haven't seen addressed thusfar: will the god-like character creation system still be there? 'Cause there hasn't been any indication to it-- I know they've always just used the default charater models in the previews for past versions, but the way they're playing up that new HUnewearl is making me uneasy. Plus that screenshot fo the character selection screen didn't exactly quell my fears...
I'd be willing to try almost any quality of a game as long as that system was still there, but if it's not... Well, here's hoping.

Nai_Calus
Jul 1, 2003, 10:27 PM
I hate that HUnewearl. She's freakishly ugly and she scalped a HUmar to get her hairstyle. At least the FOmar is cute. Mrowr. Cute angsty bish.

And I agree, it doesn't look particularily promising as far as character creation goes. X_X;

Javacava
Jul 4, 2003, 06:18 AM
<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Javacava on 2004-04-07 14:53 ]</font>

XavierDreamknight
Jul 4, 2003, 08:12 AM
I'll be glad to get the new PSO game for several reasons.

To see what ends up happening on Ragol
I like card dueling games
It's PSO!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: XavierDreamknight on 2003-07-04 06:13 ]</font>

FinalHell
Jul 4, 2003, 04:12 PM
HaHa. True. I'm not in to the whole card battle thing. Thats for people who like Yu-gi-oh and other crap like that. PSO3 doesnt catch my interest basically...

wakko
Jul 6, 2003, 02:17 AM
are real cards used 4 this or is that just the name

WindMastaJin
Jul 6, 2003, 05:08 PM
darn why do they take the best games and mangle the hell out of the play style. Sure I will be trying this game out when it hits the market but still why cards. Makes no sense.

wakko
Jul 6, 2003, 08:17 PM
is it actual cards or not, and also, will we b able to use the chars. that we made in ep I&II

BlazingTiger
Jul 7, 2003, 01:00 AM
*Sigh. The could have named it PSO I&II v.2 card battle and spent time perfecting the game for Episode III. Sega has gotten lazy. Actually, they've always been that way...