PDA

View Full Version : It is done

Sord
Jun 7, 2016, 05:54 AM
The classic front page takeover is over. Now what.

yoshiblue
Jun 7, 2016, 09:41 AM
Defend the lands or prepare for another conquest.

Sord
Jun 7, 2016, 03:00 PM
May as well try, until boredom sets in.

Sord
Jun 10, 2016, 11:18 PM
The battle continues on.

Triste
Jun 10, 2016, 11:23 PM
That was a little too easy, don't you think? Place hardly put up a fight...

Sord
Jun 10, 2016, 11:33 PM
Not my fault the community died as hard as it did. Actually I'm honestly still surprised to see a lot of these faces around here. The sheer amount of shitposting that used to go on in FKL was nothing to scoff at. Though it always hit its height at times of really bad role play. Whether it was for President of FKL or simply the B4R. I dunno if this place still even has the life in it to ever become what it once was.

Triste
Jun 10, 2016, 11:39 PM
Ghosts of posts past
Recycled into danker memes
Reposts of shitposts in repose

It's certainly slowed down in the time that I've lurked. PSO-W in general has. It's a shame, but, there's still some life left in it, right?

Sord
Jun 10, 2016, 11:50 PM
Ghosts of posts past
Recycled into danker memes
Reposts of shitposts in repose

It's certainly slowed down in the time that I've lurked. PSO-W in general has. It's a shame, but, there's still some life left in it, right?

Shit, you'd probably know better than me. I'm an old vet of FKL. Have like 18k posts here because I really didn't fall in with any other communities here aside from fanworks when I did some fairly atrocious fanfiction back in the day for the original PSO. You pretty much echo what I've heard though. Basically, without Sega launching an English/Western supported PSO game I've heard this community has kind of gone quiet. That being said, FKL was rarely ever about PSO the game and mostly kind of just did its own thing as a community.

PhotonDrop
Jun 11, 2016, 01:43 AM
It's sad to see it fallen this low, but I must say the people that still hang around seem to be decent folk. Back when PSU was the new thing there sure were a lot of weirdos around here.

Sord
Jun 11, 2016, 02:36 AM
It's sad to see it fallen this low, but I must say the people that still hang around seem to be decent folk. Back when PSU was the new thing there sure were a lot of weirdos around here.

You know, I got to play PSO2 for a bit and honestly... I kinda had more fun with PSU. I mean, I know it had its flaws, and Sega of America was god fucking awful with server management but... I really didn't take to PSO2 well. I take it as a pity Infinity on the PSP never got ported over.

PhotonDrop
Jun 11, 2016, 04:10 AM
I'm inclined to agree. For a while I was mad at how anime and different PSU was, but on it's own, the game wasn't too bad after AotI. PSO2 captures the aesthetic a little better, but when it comes to being anime it goes even further beyond.

Sord
Jun 11, 2016, 06:35 PM
I'd say they are both pretty anime as fuck. I liked the environments and clothing in PSU better. Also, I can't say I'm happy with F2P business models filled with microtransactions, and PSO2 threw in a lot of stuff in that category I flat out don't appreciate. I mean, Sega is a business and therefor they are going to do whatever it takes to turn a profit, so I understand but... I don't like content being held behind a paywall. I'd rather purchase or pay monthly for a game and have access to all its content. I actually really hate that F2P models have become a thing. I feel like they're dragging down video games.

Sef
Jul 1, 2016, 10:47 AM
All it takes now for a take over is about 4 minutes and slight boredom.

Sord
Jul 14, 2016, 05:18 PM
Yeah, it's like all the posters became snails.

yoshiblue
Jul 14, 2016, 08:27 PM
Got to unrust the go-karts and refit them with everything new. Would easier to do with taxpayer dollars, but we're not all so lucky.

PhotonDrop
Jul 15, 2016, 03:28 PM
Fifty thousand people used to live here, now it's a ghost town.

AlexCraig
Jul 15, 2016, 04:03 PM
As one who was more for PSO classic than PSU, I've been enjoying PSO2. I'm not too keen on how overly-anime it comes out as being, but the play style and controls feel more like what I was accustomed to and wanted in a PSO game. *Shrugs* Guess I'm in the minority.

Sord
Jul 16, 2016, 06:59 PM
Actually I feel like I'm in the minority liking the PSU series. Out of the people I've talked to about it, the majority have preferred PSO2. But it's not like I actually have a really big sample size to give any truly definitive answer.

With you on the overly anime thing. I mean, even PSO was fairly anime, but it's become progressively more so as time goes on.

Uncle_bob
Jul 21, 2016, 01:01 AM
I have hepatitis.

Sord
Sep 3, 2016, 01:26 PM
I have hepatitis.

A?
B?
C?
D-E-F-G-H-I-J-K-L-M-N-O-P-Q-R-S-T-U-V-W-X-Y-Z?

Palle
Sep 5, 2016, 08:27 PM
I was told it was done. It clearly is not.

Liar.

Sord
Sep 6, 2016, 11:10 AM
But it was done!

It just became un-done.

PhotonDrop
Sep 6, 2016, 01:51 PM
It's never done.

Zorafim
Sep 7, 2016, 10:16 AM
Are we talking about PSU vs PSO2?!

PSO2 is better. Hands down. The combat is way more involved. The combat of PSU was, spam your best attack until you get low enough in health to have to use a mate. Or just don't and use a doll.
There was no defense. If an attack was happening, your only choice was to sit there and eat it, because there sure as hell was no way you could dodge it.

PSO2's gameplay is amazing. Not quite Bayonetta good, but it's not too far behind. Its problem is balance and content.
The game's amazing when you're underpowered. Each fight is stressful, but you have all the tools needed to overcome it. Enemies tell their attacks, ever so slightly, giving you what you need to defend against it. Block, dodge, parry, or move out of the way, and get in position to counter. It's great.
But then grinding and affixing happened. So boring, so tedious, so resource draining, and the end result is making you so powerful that enemies can't keep up. So they throw more enemies at you, which doesn't actually matter because you can just oneshot more enemies at once. And because there's so many enemies, you can't see anything to evade it.

So, in short, both games suck. PSO2 was at least good in the beta, but PSU was never good. I kept thinking, just wait for them to release more stuff and it will get better. But nope. I just wasted my time playing that game.

Oh, then there's the art. I love the artstyle of PSO2. PSU isn't bad, but PSO2 is just more refined.
PSO2's story is offensively bad. It doesn't have characters. It has stereotypes. Everything wrong with anime is wrong about this game's story. PSU wasn't great, but it was decent enough. Episode 1 was bad, but it got better.
PSU also, surprisingly, had some great music. You wouldn't know this because they never used it, and just blasted their worst tracks in every place the player was expected to be. But look in the files, and some of the music was great. PSO2 has... like, random notes and beats pulsing whenever it feels like it. It doesn't sound too bad, but there's nothing musically interesting with it.

Anyway, the correct answer is PSIV. One of the best turn-based RPGs around, in terms of gameplay.

yoshiblue
Sep 7, 2016, 01:07 PM
Zora is attempting a hostile takeover! Take'em down!

Zorafim
Sep 7, 2016, 04:07 PM
Dive! Dive! Dive!