PDA

View Full Version : Worth the Time Investment at This Point?

Ceefa
Jun 10, 2016, 03:48 AM
I apologize to anyone ahead of time who might think this thread seems unnecessary. I've had the urge to give this game another go for a while now, but I'm just now getting around to it due to time constraints (first large amount of free time I've had in three years).

So basically, I've been a fan of the Phantasy Star series since the Dreamcast. I put countless hours into PSO, PSU, PSP 1/2, and even Zero. I tried the game when it first came out in Japan, but I was pretty turned off having to play in another language and moved on, waiting/hoping for an English release. We all know where that went.

I lost the password to my original account (foolish I know), and let's just say that resetting it would probably not be a viable option at this point, so I'll have to make a new one, which is a real bummer.

So here's my question: Is it worth starting fresh at this point? The game is four years old, which is usually about the end of the life cycle for a Phantasy Star title. I really just wish to casually group and rare hunt like the old days. I'm NOT looking for anything like World of Warcraft (I've had my fill of the WoW style of games for good) or with huge barriers to entry. What's the leveling experience like in this game? And is end game small group friendly? Does it involve rare hunting like the older Phantasy Star titles?

I guess my question really just boils down to this: What's the game like compared to older Phantasy Star titles, and is it worth getting started four years into the game's life cycle?

Thanks

EspeonageTieler
Jun 10, 2016, 04:22 AM
Leveling is pretty easy imo. And there are some new decent weapons that are fairly easy to get so its not to hard to catch up. plus the game play is fun and pretty addicting

landman
Jun 10, 2016, 05:31 AM
You will not regret it, just make sure you skip everything episode 4, the game now forces you to start in that chapter, but after a few scenes and a short quest you can log into episode 1-3 and enjoy the game from the start.

nyaucandy
Jun 10, 2016, 06:11 AM
PS4 RELEASE PSO2 couple months ago

Rupikachu
Jun 10, 2016, 07:35 AM
So here's my question: Is it worth starting fresh at this point? The game is four years old, which is usually about the end of the life cycle for a Phantasy Star title.

PSU JP life cycle was like 6 years tho. And pso2 seems pretty lively anyways, i mean. Animu + PS4 release this year. So it doesn't even look like EOL. Also it just takes like...what 2-3 weeks to cap a class at most?

And is end game small group friendly? Does it involve rare hunting like the older Phantasy Star titles?

Endgame: Grind weapons and Buy clothus for your waifus.

Ceefa
Jun 10, 2016, 07:52 AM
Thanks for the replies, everyone. I'm really thinking of giving it a real go.

PSU JP life cycle was like 6 years tho. And pso2 seems pretty lively anyways, i mean. Animu + PS4 release this year. So it doesn't even look like EOL. Also it just takes like...what 2-3 weeks to cap a class at most?

Endgame: Grind weapons and Buy clothus for your waifus. Haha. That actually sounds pretty awesome. Sounds like PSO and PSU, which is exactly what I want.

Morgan Fumi
Jun 10, 2016, 08:44 AM
Thanks for the replies, everyone. I'm really thinking of giving it a real go.

Haha. That actually sounds pretty awesome. Sounds like PSO and PSU, which is exactly what I want.
Seems like you'll enjoy it just fine, then.

Voison
Jun 10, 2016, 09:54 AM
And is end game small group friendly? Does it involve rare hunting like the older Phantasy Star titles?

Like any game, it depends on who you play with. There will always be that one troll / rude person in every game.