PDA

View Full Version : PC Everyone On The PC, How Do You Play?

itsbao93
Jun 25, 2016, 10:31 AM
So as a new player on PSO2 and starting to watch videos on the game, I realized that there are people out there playing this game on keyboards with Xbox one controllers of just controllers.

I was thinking about buying one of those 60 dollar controllers but does it work? I mean like comfortably? Or do the majority of ou guys use the keyboard or prefer it? As a FO/TE thinking about buying some skill trees, I see some good FO/TE videos out there that uses a controller but often uses the sub pallets for skills, class skills and that just sounds awkward going from controller to the number keys all the way at the top.

Nyansan
Jun 25, 2016, 10:44 AM
Personally use keyboard and mouse, since can't really imagine how to controller + keyboard as FoTe without being overtly cumbersome. But then again, I've played MMOs before as mage/magic/spellcaster classes (AKA the ones that usually have a pile of crap on skillbars/palettes) so I'm quite used to the setup I got going on.

Enforcer MKV
Jun 25, 2016, 11:10 AM
Keyboard/mouse. Only time I ever use a controller is when I play DOA5.

Altiea
Jun 25, 2016, 11:20 AM
Dualshock 3, definitely. I absolutely cannot get used to keyboard/mouse setup, it feels so clumsy to me and I die a lot using it.

ashley50
Jun 25, 2016, 11:23 AM
Keyboard and Mouse.

Using any type of gamepad is plain weird for me who have used KB/mouse since I started playing.

If I started playing the game on PS4, then it would the opposite.

Flaoc
Jun 25, 2016, 11:38 AM
im the weirdo who uses controller on pso2 but keyboard+mouse for practically every other pc game

Raujinn
Jun 25, 2016, 11:46 AM
360 controller. Been playing that way since PSU on PC and I guess since I played PSO GC it just felt natural to me to keep using one? IDK. I use KB and mouse for just-about every other game.

SteveCZ
Jun 25, 2016, 11:48 AM
I got this for PC so I started off with keyboard/mouse. No other reason and I'm kind of lazy to learn another method. Like, I'm used with 1 - 6 as weapon palette changer, 7 - 10 as sub palette changer, and numpad to use that sub palette. I can't find anything yet to replace that habit with a controller. Maybe someone can enlighten me.

isCasted
Jun 25, 2016, 11:52 AM
The game was designed with both control schemes in mind, so replies here will be very varied. The thing is that it's rather painful to switch from one setup to another, because it affects your playstyle heavily. It doesn't help that default controller settings suck, and you have to adjust settings to your own taste (some people feel like changing controls every time they change classes). But ultimately, it may work well. All you really need for KB+M controls is to find a better button for 3rd action than mouse wheel (seriously, mouse wheel button sucks for non-misc actions); maybe swap around subpalette, weapon palette and menu actions (numbers, Num keyboard and F keys by default respectively. I swapped weapon palette and subpalette).

I play mainly KB+M, only using controller when mouse breaks or something. The endgame for a lot of classes feels best with KB+M, because controller doesn't allow to change weapon palette with a single button (and that's necessary, if you want to combo more than 4-5 different PAs. It might be especially troublesome on faster weapons like Katana or DS) or precise camera rotation (Ranger and Force not only need good aiming, they make me switch between TPS and regular aiming a lot. Heck, I abuse camera even with melee weapons like Partisan). There is no aim assist or anything, and hitboxes can be pretty wonky. Also, some people have issues with 3-button setup (recently introduced, not available on PS Vita) on a controller, and 2-button setup is vastly inferior, so there's that.

On the other hand, controllers allow lock-on scrolling through different targets with right stick (on KB+M you either have to aim manually or spam [Tab] and pray it locks onto a thing you want). You can also stylishly walk (you need Arks Mod Tool to be able to walk without controller). Accessing subpalette is not that troublesome if your controller's D-pad doesn't suck. Surprisingly, I didn't have any issues with Force on controller, because my subpalette has mostly misc stuff, while offensive techs are on weapon palette (one slot for each element). The one tech that's universally useful (Zondeel) is not on subpalette, I duplicated it for every weapon palette entry.

zegun~kun
Jun 25, 2016, 11:53 AM
Xbox One gamepad
tho i stick to keyboard numpads to change weapon palletes

mouse used only to free click on another player to see their Info / ARKS card, inviting to party, or something

ZerotakerZX
Jun 25, 2016, 12:05 PM
Gamedad is great for combat system, especially for melee chars, but has it shortcomings in switching stuff and some menus and whatnot. But nothing that good old xpadder could not handle. Like swith pallets with shift+arrow buttons and stuff.

zegun~kun
Jun 25, 2016, 12:15 PM
or play like the Tentacle God himself
http://www2.elecom.co.jp/products/JC-DUX50BK.html

Yden
Jun 25, 2016, 12:17 PM
Keyboard and mouse here. I tried controller a bit and it makes TPS aiming of weak bullets incredibly hard even on big targets like rockbear's face back before it became a lock-on point.

Flaoc
Jun 25, 2016, 01:17 PM
Gamedad

i know this isnt what you meant but dont edit this typo pls lol

IchijinKali
Jun 25, 2016, 02:07 PM
I play using an Xbox One controller that I directly wired to my computer. As IsCasted said I also changed most of the button layout as the default is just terrible, at least for me. Making the setup something that wouldn't require for me to use the keyboard for much besides chat was the main goal. I still use it for switching weapons and using moon atomizers quickly without changing the position of the Use Icon on the sub-palette.

But I've managed to be able to set up something that allows me to lock-on and switch targets with ease, bring up overheadmap, enter TPS mode, navigate menus while running, and dodge without double tapping.

FantasyHeaven
Jun 25, 2016, 03:03 PM
Controller is infinitely more comfortable in any game where you don't need to aim, that includes this game.

sakare
Jun 25, 2016, 03:15 PM
GamePad since i started that way playing PSO2.

Alenoir
Jun 25, 2016, 03:25 PM
Controller main, switching to kb/m when needed (like manual aim that requires actual aiming).

gabor100
Jun 25, 2016, 03:35 PM
Xbox360 controller(original, not some fake s**t) but the analog stick is not tough enough. Can't play with kb/m since i had PS3/Xbox360.

Tunga
Jun 25, 2016, 05:46 PM
KB+M, controllers cannot simply match the speed and accuracy that a mouse can when switching directions and aiming. My mouse also has 5 buttons that i abuse heavily for manual aim, steps and weapon switching. And i dont need to let go of other buttons cough analog sticks cough to use them. Keyboard simply bcuz muh buttons. Controllers are just inferior.

milranduil
Jun 25, 2016, 05:54 PM
kb + this mouse (subpalette = side buttons)
[spoiler-box]
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81Gepr-sTpL._SL1500_.jpg
[/spoiler-box]

Zyrusticae
Jun 25, 2016, 06:46 PM
I've been playing on an XBox 360/XBox One controller since I started. Feels very natural at this point. I actually can't use the keyboard & mouse in this game because I have zero practice in it. I don't even try to do it with 3rd person shooter mode anymore.

TaigaUC
Jun 25, 2016, 07:00 PM
Dunno if anyone already mentioned it, but if you have a Playstation 3 or 4 controller you should be able to just use that instead of having to buy a new one.
There are a bunch of tools floating around online for doing so.

I play KB/Mouse though. Highly recommend a mech keyboard if you do a lot of typing. You'll never go back.

Kondibon
Jun 25, 2016, 07:02 PM
I use an xbox 360 pad with joy to key to use the left and right bumpers as toggles.

landman
Jun 25, 2016, 07:22 PM
Aiming a Foie is not hard with any controller, basically because of its huge area, but other things like grants or ilbarta from far away you need more precision, on occasions like that I used to grab the mouse just to spam those (and to aim the harpoon), but that stopped when I started using a Steam controller half a year ago, touch pad + gyro = all the speed and precision you may need. But gameplay is very different obviously, you will mostly use the weapon palette techs (now 3+3/2+3) since moving through the sub-palette is not instantaneous.

final_attack
Jun 25, 2016, 10:07 PM
I think it's called a gamepad?
[SPOILER-BOX]http://assets.razerzone.com/eeimages/products/59/razer-nostromo-gallery-1.png[/SPOILER-BOX]
for general use (weapon switching, core skills, some items usage, movement)

Switched to keyboard just to apply Chain on Vibras (no lock-on shortcut on pad) .... auto-lock mode only for this 1 purpose so far or chat purpose.

Mouse. (Side button assigned for Showing maps / change Radar Map ..... I think default is N / M on keyboard. 1 for right-click mash, 1 for those panel mash (default E?), using macro)

Maulcun
Jun 25, 2016, 10:11 PM
Xbox One gamepad ...

red1228
Jun 25, 2016, 11:18 PM
Was using a 360 controller for the longest time, but the D-Pad was horrible & my bumpers started to crap out.
Switched to PS3 controller for a while using SCP drivers (for wireless, I don't want more cables cluttering up my keyboard when I have to type something), but after upgrading to Windows 10, I could not get the wireless bluetooth function to work with it.

Very recently switched to PS4 controller using InputMapper and its been ok so far (never had a PS4 controller before & the new Options / Share buttons are not the best designed in my opinion. I constantly have to "look for them"). Will take some getting used to, but the D-Pad is INFINITELY better than anything on MicroSoft's controllers.
I've tried Keyboard & Mouse a few times and it just does not work for me in these type of action games. I can KB+M in slower games such as Blade & Soul though.

wefwq
Jun 25, 2016, 11:20 PM
Already overly used with KBM for this game, i can't bring myself using controller without gimping performance.
But sometime i still use XB360 controller when i got really tired.

Shinamori
Jun 25, 2016, 11:54 PM
I use KB/M.

NoobSpectre
Jun 26, 2016, 12:06 AM
KB/M, while still trying to figure how to walk instead of running until this day.

AnikaSteinberg
Jun 26, 2016, 03:26 AM
Keyboard + Xbox 360 Controller + Xpadder

Controller for well, controlling.
Xpadder for instant pallette switching using controller
and Keyboard for (yes) opening the main game menu, switching subpalletes, and using skills/items/techs that does not require aiming or timing (like buffs, stances, warcry, PPconvert, etc.)

CoWorker
Jun 26, 2016, 08:42 AM
KB/M as always and playing with just that in my whole life, i can even play fighting games and still do great combos with it

Keilyn
Jun 26, 2016, 09:00 AM
I use three things...

Gaming Keyboard and Mouse (Steel Series/Merc Board + Logitech Mouse) along with my ipad with Xreva which turns an ipad into a touch-pad. The reason I use this is because most of the MMORPGs or FPS games I have are set to have as many skills and attack commands to the left side of my keyboard, while swaps are done with Xreva, and orientation is usually controlled by my mouse (like most games). Also, I am used to playing classes that offer a lot and so I actually run with three subpalletes...

I do have two controllers handy, but I only use them in games where controllers seem to do better (like Neptunia, Xenoverse, and Pirate Warriors III).

I also run the Command-Net on a lot of the guilds I am in (or create) in MMORPGs. Basically a full Combined Systems Module (ASM, GSM, TSM, WSM and XSM)... as my computers are strong enough to do this while playing games. :)

Maninbluejumpsuit
Jun 26, 2016, 09:53 AM
This keyboard is on loan.

Only my right mouse button works.

I guren everywhere and everything.

itsbao93
Jun 26, 2016, 11:34 AM
I think it's called a gamepad?
[SPOILER-BOX]http://assets.razerzone.com/eeimages/products/59/razer-nostromo-gallery-1.png[/SPOILER-BOX]
for general use (weapon switching, core skills, some items usage, movement)

Switched to keyboard just to apply Chain on Vibras (no lock-on shortcut on pad) .... auto-lock mode only for this 1 purpose so far or chat purpose.

Mouse. (Side button assigned for Showing maps / change Radar Map ..... I think default is N / M on keyboard. 1 for right-click mash, 1 for those panel mash (default E?), using macro)

That game pad actually looks pretty cool. But I'm not sure if investing money into those type of game pad/mouse is actually worth it.

Skye-Fox713
Jun 26, 2016, 01:10 PM
mouse and keyboard

AsinineWaffle
Jun 26, 2016, 01:53 PM
I use a controller when playing a melee class and KB/M when playing anything else.

黒雪Yacchi
Jun 26, 2016, 04:40 PM
Controller + Keyboard for number pad weapon swap. KB/M for TPS AIS combat.

Kokurokoki
Jun 27, 2016, 12:14 AM
I use Controller with Joy2Key to map all my essential buttons onto the Controller. So far I can...

- Quick switch to all 6 weapon palettes
- Quick access menus
- Manually change subpalettes and subpalette slots.
- Quick-use each slot in the subpalette without having to manually select it.
- Other random stuff.

Pretty much it lets me do everything with a lot of space still left over to do other stuff.

HentaiLolicon
Jun 27, 2016, 12:27 AM
KB/M here. Just have to rebind hotkeys, do some trick to assign more side buttons to mouse

pkemr4
Jun 27, 2016, 12:31 AM
KB/M have a mouse with two extra buttons on the side, really usefull with 3 button setup.

IceBurner
Jun 27, 2016, 10:01 AM
I play using both KBAM and Gamepad (Dual Shock 3 w./ SCP driver set via USB and Bluetooth).

In both cases I'm still seated at the keyboard and will quickly switch weapons/palettes using the numpad.

Ever since they've implemented 3-button controls gamepad has actually been more comfortable (can't find a comfy spot for the new attack button), but when I need to use third-person reticule to aim (RA or Talis FO/TE), the mouse is far superior.

To make the gamepad work without sacrificing any functions, however, I did need to use JoyToKey to setup virtual buttons and effectively make the 4th face button toggle as well. This means I have the same 3 attack buttons which change with R1 as everyone else does, but the Evade button doubles as "Access/Activate" while R1 is depressed. The control scheme winds up being:

D-Pad Left/Right - Move Sub Palette Cursor
D-Pad Up/Down - Cycle Weapon Palette
L1: Lock
L2: "Open Subpalete"
L3: None
Select: Quick Menu
Start: Main Menu
R1: Toggle Actions
R2: Jump
R3: TPS Aim
Square: Action 1/4
Triangle: Action 2/5
Circle: Action 3/6
Cross: Evade/Access

On the keyboard and mouse, my controls are customized as follows:
Mouse 1: Action 1/4
Mouse 2: Action 3/6
Mouse 3 (Wheel button): Quick Menu
Mouse 4: Open Subpalette
Mouse 5: Evade
Mouse Wheel: Scroll Subpalette Cursor

Numpad: 1-6: Switch Weapon Palette
Numpad: 8-9: Switch Subpalette
Default keys for cycling through palettes have all been removed.
Esc: Main Menu
Q: Lock
Tab: Cycle Targets
Shift: Toggle Actions
Z: TPS Aim
X: Evade
F: Action 2/5
Space: Jump