PDA

View Full Version : What Do You Like About PSO2?

Altiea
Jul 11, 2016, 09:21 AM
This should be interesting.

So, in this day and age, PSO2 is almost nothing but complaints. Everything from "EP4 sucks", "fire the EP4 director", "Star Gems was a mistake", and "bring back Suganuma" to "nerf FO pls", "dripfeed", "PSO was better", and "your gear is trash, pls git gud" (no offense intended on the last one). But you never hear about the GOOD things about this game anymore. So with that in mind,

In the game's current state, what do you like about PSO2?

Keilyn
Jul 11, 2016, 09:37 AM
In order:

1. Tier 6 Graphics: These turned the game into something that didn't look so yesterday....
2. Character Creator: I like the way one makes characters in this game, and how that becomes the presentation for the salon.
3. Fashion: There are more styles and fashion in this game than any other game including accessories, etc.
4. Emotes/Lobby Actions: What is fashion without Emotes/Lobby Actions?
5. Weapons and Units have a model to them, some have unique animations...

The one thing I write in reviews across the internet in relation to this game is that its one of the few games where one can enter a full lobby of players and actually see people wearing different clothing and having a character style. When two people choose to not be anti-social and enter the roleplaying environment, they have everything they need including to how character-speech works in this game and Symbol Art to make encounters and meeting new players great...

6. Screenshot/Photoshooting - They come out well in this game. In fact I photoshoot players who want a high-end max-graphic, 4K resolution shot and it works out fine.

In the interests of at least having one decent thread here, I refrained from listing anything negative in this post.

isCasted
Jul 11, 2016, 09:44 AM
PSO2 is one of a kind.
It has incredible fast-paced, skill-based combat that doesn't feel like it's on-rails (EP3 and some EP4 changes only made it better in this regard). No RNG evasion, requiring proper timing, applying different tactics to different enemies (at least when those enemies are lv80), different PAs having different purposes etc. It might not be DMC-tier combat, but it's still way above your average MMO.
Just like other Phantasy Star games, it has somewhat original lore (*coughEP4cough*) and colorful art style to complement it.
Music, in a typical SEGA fashion, combines all kinds of instruments and sound effects, from violins to base drops to create catchy tunes (aside from a lot of early game stuff) that sound unlike anything else.
Then there's tension and spectacle in certain missions and a lot of boss battles (Loser, PD, mining bases...).
Then there are waifus. And that's all that really needed to be said.

SteveCZ
Jul 11, 2016, 09:46 AM
I can play just fine alone, like playing a constantly updated stand-alone games. That's the best one and reason why I'm still around.

Zephyrion
Jul 11, 2016, 09:47 AM
I'll go first then !

EDIT : everybody just too fast, I'll go fourth...fifth ?
- Awesome music : PSO never failed to impress me in that regard, Everything just sounds great, even though sympathy sometimes ruins it, and even the cute tokyo J-pop or Yamato EQ theme still are very pleasant to listen to
- The landscapes : for the limitations on graphics that this game has, every place, even Tokyo, ranges from pretty to absolutely beautiful. The savage and ominous Naberius, the dusty Lilipa, the mysterious Amduscia, the refreshing Vopar, the epic Harkotan and the surprising Earth. even after all this time, I still take stops to enjoy some views (and Hopefully Las Vegas will make me do that too)
- - I still think that for a PvE, all the classes are both cool and pretty balanced. Yeah FO/TE rules, yeah gunslash and boots don't get enough love, but at the end of the day, you can still get by with the main class and weapons you love and do very decently seriously when will you buff gunslash tho
The story started out as a mess, but I actually think it has potential, and actually is getting better, to the point I'm getting almost interested in what will happen next, hopefully, a slow start will make for an awesome finish !
-NT grind is love, NT grind is life.
- Fashiooooooon !
- Tier 6 to enjoy your fashiooooooon even more !

Of course, there are things that irks me, but the game is just fun, solid and charming enough for me to continue to play it !

Z-0
Jul 11, 2016, 09:58 AM
I like how the game plays, that's it really.

It has some interesting unique content such as the TDs, but I can't really give praise to much else.

Poyonche
Jul 11, 2016, 09:59 AM
Honestly : TD. I just love the TD quests. I just can't miss one (except if TD1).
Their BGM are amazing, especially in TD (again) but they didn't fail at all regarding that point.

I also like how they went with the character editor.
I like the fighting system too, and the fact that we get update every two weeks, even tho it is most of the time "Collabs collabs fashion collabs collabs interesting content collabs"

Altiea
Jul 11, 2016, 10:29 AM
Since I started the topic, I might as well pitch in.

1. The music. The soundtrack is nothing if not amazingly good, even if it's very different from the typical "PSO" style.
2. Character creator. It's been said before, but PSO2 has one of the most versatile character creators known to gaming. There are no limits to what you can do with it.
3. Raid bosses. The scale and grandeur of boss fights like Dark Falz is rather impressive, even if they're easy.

AsinineWaffle
Jul 11, 2016, 10:45 AM
1. Character editing is pretty great. After upgrading gear I still find myself playing fashion every now and again.
2. Despite some flaws, the combat system is still one of the better ones I've seen in a free to play game.
3. While I don't find the XQ and free field themes all that amazing, PSO2's music overall is pretty good.
4. It has some entertaining quests like TD and the EQ bosses. It would make me really happy if I could freely do a single party version of those quests.

nguuuquaaa
Jul 11, 2016, 10:48 AM
I like class system where you can create one loli with wide choice of customization/fashion character and play every classes.

The concept of switching weapons for different situations is kinda unique. Also off-class weapons, Chain Trigger, Vol/Banish, Zanverus, wand smack.... there are a lot.

And this has mechs :wacko: and mech pilots bigger mech :wacko:

loafhero
Jul 11, 2016, 10:58 AM
1. The music, as expected of a SEGA game, is excellent and really adds to the experience.
2. The combat, which is what continues to keep me hooked on PSO2 better than any other MMO.
3. The character creator.

TehCubey
Jul 11, 2016, 11:17 AM
Fashion Star Online.
I have friends in the game. It's always fun to talk to them, or run content together with them. TACOs are far less boring if you do them with people you like hanging out with.
I am somewhat of an achiever so seeing my mastery of the game increase is satisfying. Being able to craft things on my own that I needed help with, being able to easily clear hard content I had trouble with earlier, or maxing out a new 13* weapon that is an upgrade over an old one. Even if getting there is frustrating at times, the destination makes the journey worth it.
Fashion Star Online.
New tier graphics.
I enjoy seeing more of some of the game's NPCs, shame about Sega dripping content to us.

Maninbluejumpsuit
Jul 11, 2016, 11:47 AM
-Some osts
-The rare occasions SEGA does something right is an extra good feeling when they do so much wrong
-Combat
-Character creation
-F2P I'm not compelled to spend irl money for much

Enforcer MKV
Jul 11, 2016, 12:02 PM
-Casts [*ahem*]
-General combat, even if it's unbalanced, feels really good to me.
-Borderless gets me really pumped during the ship fight, even if it's easy. I still feel compelled to turn off whatever I'm listening to and turn the ingame music on when I do that EQ. I absolutely love that tune.
[SPOILER-BOX]-Melphina
-Aurroris
-Violet
-Ignis
-Halcyon[/SPOILER-BOX]

Raujinn
Jul 11, 2016, 12:15 PM
Gameplay has a good feel to it and I like the setting. The character creation is alright. A few quests are really fun.

Shadowstarkirby
Jul 11, 2016, 12:46 PM
-Great flexible character creation. It's not the best, but the customization I can achieve was leagues above anything else I had played. It's resulted in a character that I've been more happy with than in other games' character creations.

-Combat is good. It's simple, but allows for versatility with different PA combo when they're effective to use. I don't feel any adrenaline rushes fighting enemies like I would in something like Vindictus and it doesn't feel nearly as fluid, but I'm hoping these issues are fixed in the future. Many weapons are fun to play with too, my favorites being Dual Blades, Double Saber, and TMGs.

-The game is easy on my system. The reality I often have to face is that my system is not for AAA gaming, so I can't play much of any new releases like Overwatch. So, I settle for games like this. A lot of people say the game looks like shit, but I think a lot of people are just spoiled by the fidelity most games have these days. I've always had to use dated hardware, whether it be flip phones, CRT TVs, or laptops to play my games, so it could just be that I don't care if stuff is dialed up to 11...wish I could have breast bounce on "Simple" though.

-Some of the music is good. Particularly the ones in EP4 and TD quests. I always liked PSO's unique music system, having the music track change seamlessly between in and out of combat, if a rare or powerful enemies is present, and when towers in TD are in critical condition, though It's unfortunate a lot of tracks are just loud blaring noises that I eventually get sick of.

-F2P. A lot of F2P games are shit, but this one is pretty tops for what it allows you to do. You don't feel forced to spend money to be able to enjoy playing this, you can buy AC shop costumes off player market and the best gear is stuff you need to find or work towards without money. Money helps get ahead with exorbitant amounts of meseta, but since it's a PvE game and stronger players help make runs go faster, I don't mind it as long as it doesn't get to SEA levels of inflation.

The game has a lot of problems, but I'd be lying if I didn't say that I enjoy playing it tons when there's something to do.

ashley50
Jul 11, 2016, 12:47 PM
-CASTs. (caseals mostly)
-being able to play with other players without being in the same party
-animal free
-premium is optional
-Collaborations with various anime titles and games

Friyn
Jul 11, 2016, 12:54 PM
General combat and first Challenge Quest. PSO2 doesn't exactly have many redeeming qualities, it's a very mediocre online game.

gabor100
Jul 11, 2016, 02:50 PM
In the game's current state, what do you like about PSO2?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RY..... (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYpMdUhsL7g#t=0m26s)

Tunga
Jul 11, 2016, 04:14 PM
Lets see:
- TD (when your pug is not terrible or team runs).
- The game does have a lot of content. Most of us have a lot of hours clocked in so of course it gets boring.
- Bouncer: Even if the skill tree needs work the playstyle of it is fun to me(JB are still not my fav weapon tho).
- Hunter: I treat this class like you would a MBT.
- Gunner: It's melee but with Guns lol.
- Force: Self explanatory.
(every other class is uninteresting to me)
- The game has good OST.
- Character customization is great and gives players good options to make their character unique.
- Good amount of phasion options.
- The combat feels nice and responsive.
- The social side of it is nice too.

Cant think of anything else.

Shiyo
Jul 11, 2016, 04:55 PM
Combat
Gear progression system
Affix system
Grinding system(NT)
Crafting system
Everything character progression related
AQ's, XQ's
Mob density on most maps after tunnels and AQ's
Classes
Skill trees
PA's techs
Weapons not katana
TD
Falz EQ's
Darker's nest
SH before you get 60, so 50-55
XH
Kuron, shironia, facility a lottt

I just don't like schedule only EQ's and locking collection files behind them

Xaeris
Jul 11, 2016, 05:50 PM
- One of the best character creators in the genre. Easily top three in my opinion. We joke about Waifu Star Online, but I genuinely appreciate the chance to create characters I wouldn't be able to see in nearly any other game.

- Great F2P model. Through to Episode 3 anyway. Episode 4's been doing its damndest to walk that back, but it still hasn't done enough damage for me to feel that the game's F2P model is exploitative or unfair. It would have been nice if they had used star gems to patch some of the flaws in the system and let them be used to buy some of the AC services on a limited basis like mag tickets and skill trees, but that's wandering off topic.

- I love the combat. Photon arts and techniques are a great progression from what they were in PSU and even four years later, they still feel flashy and fun to use. It's overall rather easy, but hey, Dynasty Warriors in space is fun too.

- The background music has been overall rather meh, but the boss tracks have pretty much always been on point.

NightfallG
Jul 11, 2016, 06:01 PM
The immense amount of character customization the creator and costumes provide for starters. Only bitch on that is I wish we had unit camos aside from just.. making them invisible.

The class system is very appealing. I hate the idea of being locked in or having to reroll just to get a different play style.

The music, for obvious reasons.

The scifi aesthetic, even if they moved away from it a little bit.

The gameplay in an MPA is a bit mindnumbing, but solo it's entertaining and that's good enough for me.

Really, there's a lot more but that's the core of it.

As for what sucks, the EQ system. Period.

pkemr4
Jul 11, 2016, 06:03 PM
The Combat
The Lobby system
The Chat system (if only there was a way to talk while operators are speaking or for stuff like starting xq for the lady to just not speak)
As much as i hate TD, i actually do like its design despite shitters and leechers ruining the experience for others
The EXP curve for leveling, its really easy to level up from spamming AQs alone or just playing in general

AutumnChronicle
Jul 11, 2016, 08:32 PM
The fact that I can kick space-ass and make friends with people from across the world, and how SEGA is low-key okay with us gaijins playing on JP servers as long as we don't cause trouble.

Adding on to what people have already said about the music, I really like that the most "intense parts" has uplifting music (e.g. TD final waves, near the end of Boss EQs) that add to the feeling of fighting together with other players.

Other than that, Oracle doesn't feel as expansive as Gurhal even though we have more planets to play on, but all the characters from EP1-3 are generally more interesting than the PSU cast or other in-game NPCs for that matter. If you wanna go there, there's lots of waifu material within the game's NPCs alone, so that's nice.

Shiyo
Jul 11, 2016, 09:57 PM
Going to add ultimate to my list.
Oh my god, ultimate is amazing. It's something I thought they'd NEVER add and the content I've always wanted! It's sooo fun and good, I can't believe they added it. Sega are the best.

pkemr4
Jul 11, 2016, 10:06 PM
to bad ult is dead

Shiyo
Jul 11, 2016, 10:09 PM
I don't get how such great content is dead, but I'm going to keep doing it forever.

SteveCZ
Jul 11, 2016, 10:14 PM
to bad ult is dead

Nope. Lols.

Altiea
Jul 11, 2016, 10:28 PM
Ultimate Quest is pretty fun. I only find it not fun when you're by yourself and can't handle the pressure or you have a full MPA and you don't get to do anything. Three to seven players though? Excellent stuff.

loafhero
Jul 12, 2016, 12:29 AM
Other thing I like is how fun fighting bosses can be. Destroying their body parts and hitting or exposing weakpoints still feels satisfying. It prevents the fights from feeling tedious and I feel like I'm doing actual damage to them. I've had more fun fighting PSO2 bosses than in most other MMOs cause I'm not just hitting one big hitbox.

wefwq
Jul 12, 2016, 02:08 AM
The game has bunch of stuff i liked, combined into single game.
PSO2 are not a great game enough that worth bragging about, but i just liked the game as is.

But the most notable point of the game for me:
- Great fast-paced gameplay
It might not be the best, but it's far more superior to most PC online game out there.
Being mostly client-sided, slight net latency does not really matter and still enjoyable.
Balance all over the place, though it make the game don't feel too stiff, and there's no PvP anyway.

- Great character creator/customization as whole
Bunch of sliders, not too much but not barebone either. Bunch of stuff to slide around, bunch of hairstyle, body paints, voice, etc.
I liked the game when it let me to create character i liked, not just to pick whatever preset they give because it's kind of boring having 2+ twin on the quest.
The definition to having my own waifu in hto and hihg sped.

- Good F2P model in general
Being F2P game, i think the model they pick for the game are kind of "fair" for both paying players, and free players.
It offer few perk being premium and all, but doesn't despise free players all that much.
Costume that paying player don't want can be sold to other player, free player can buy stuff obtainable from scratch with in-game currency in kind of affordable price, etc.

At early stage (around OBT~Pre EP2), the game doesn't have muh content but those 3 element above really win my stay in the game for past few years well though it's that or just i don't have any other game to play with.

For other stuff, i give that each DF are kind of massive hype furnace, especially on their own release date.
Great battle and hype BGM.

Zyrusticae
Jul 12, 2016, 11:50 AM
Like a bunch of others in this thread, the character creation is at the top of the list for me. There are still some things that I don't like, but those have less to do with the actual character creation than the way some clothes are modeled. Otherwise, the breadth of options makes it closest to allowing me to make exactly the kinds of characters I want to play as out of any game on the market right now. That's pretty good.

The chat functions. Auto words, being able to assign emotions to chat bubbles, facial cut-ins... all things I wish other games did. Just makes it a lot more fun to socialize in this game. Oh, and the sheer number of lobby actions is ridiculous (though admittedly, I'd prefer it didn't come at the cost of movable fingers).

The combat. After all the iterative development, SEGA can claim to have some of the best core combat gameplay in the business. Obviously, it's not dedicated character action game-level just yet, but if they keep moving in this direction, PSO3 will probably reach that level anyway. It's a game where you can feel like a genuine badass because you're making the correct actions at the right times, and you look like a badass in the process, too.

Tier 6 graphics did a lot to endear the game to my eyes. Before, I had a harder time getting motivated to login because the whole game just looked so bland and drab. The game still doesn't look gorgeous or anything, but it looks good enough that I am far more motivated to put some time into the game. It now looks like how it should have looked way back when it launched.

The setting. Well, at least until Episode 4 came along, anyway. I love this sort of space fantasy aesthetic. I'm actually a little miffed that they didn't do more with it (especially with 1-6* designs becoming obsolete when they've got the best aesthetics in the game). Still, it's a neat place to inhabit, and like any good sci-fi, makes me wonder what the future holds for the human race.

The music. At first it was kind of 'meh', but now we've got the TD themes, the Challenge Mode music, the tutorial music, Magatsu's theme, Dark Falz Luther's theme, Borderless, the Mothership theme... the game's just chock-full of beautiful tunes nowadays, and from the sound of things, they ain't letting up any time soon. I'm quite glad the game's lived up to its legacy in this regard.

We've got plenty of other threads for talking about what sucks, so I'ma leave it at that.

Maninbluejumpsuit
Jul 12, 2016, 03:24 PM
The setting. Well, at least until Episode 4 came along, anyway. I love this sort of space fantasy aesthetic. I'm actually a little miffed that they didn't do more with it (especially with 1-6* designs becoming obsolete when they've got the best aesthetics in the game).

I woulda've liked a revival, or camo of the 4* esrain space rapier...

Sonickyle27
Jul 13, 2016, 01:49 AM
Two things

The game doesn't feel like a bore chore. It isn't a button mashing system like WoW or FF14.
Native controller support as well as a PSVita port. PSO2 is the only main reason why I have a PSVita nowadays.

millefeuille
Jul 13, 2016, 06:58 PM
It's already been said a billion times over, but I'm still going to reiterate them~.

Character Creator. Probably my favorite part of PSO2. The level of customization available is better than what's out there currently; the in-game Fashion Sets & PSOW Fashion Threads alone are proof of that. The only other MMO to achieve anything close to this is B&S, but you can't really set yourself apart from everyone else unless you make a Horse-headed Chimera with a Giant Axe (or something like it). Though there was that Michael Jackson in BDO...

Combat System. It's fun and although it can be repetitive, you can be very, very, very creative with how you kill mobs and bosses. Even though only a few PA's are useful, the way you can mix and match mob/boss strategies is certainly more varied than other MMO's (though, it's probably because I play both Bow Braver & almost every branch of Ranger). It's still a case where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

PSO2's F2P Model. It's not Nexon or Aeria Games. And you can definitely get by without the premium perks unless you play on Ship 4. The currency exchange rate isn't too bad either, though it was cheaper before IIRC.

I didn't include this as part of the list, but PSO2 has kept my attention for about a year and a half, which is more than what can be said for other games. The only other games I had spent this much time/interest in were KR/TW/NA Mabinogi and Ragnarok Online. Despite it's faults, it's still fun; just take breaks from time-to-time people! :-x