PDA

View Full Version : ARKS Interception Silhouette: Yay or Nay?

Altiea
Jul 19, 2016, 02:26 PM
You get a mecha, you get a mecha, EVERYONE GETS A MECHA!

Waaaaaay back when, the ARKS Interception Silhouette, abbreviated as A.I.S., was introduced with the Emergency Quest "Mining Base Defense: Despair" as a powerful solution to the hordes of Darkers and counter balance to Despair's increased difficulty. Since then, the AIS has appeared in recent content with increasing regularity, including Demise, Magatsu, and Yamato as the result of popular demand. However, AIS-only quests seem to oversimplify the fight by making giving 12 players the exact same stats and tools to fight something big. So, with that in mind,

Should the AIS continue to be featured in future content?

Maninbluejumpsuit
Jul 19, 2016, 02:29 PM
As long as they're properly limited to the point of needing to be used strategically as they were in TD, I don't see why not.

wefwq
Jul 19, 2016, 02:35 PM
Maybe set defeat condition in AIS-exclusive quest.
Yamato fight was mindnumblingly boring simply because there's no risk for dying at all.

isCasted
Jul 19, 2016, 02:37 PM
As long as they're properly limited to the point of needing to be used strategically as they were in TD, I don't see why not.
This. When your time is limited and only some players can use AIS at the same time, it encourages skilled play, becaue AIS players feel responsible. The feel that you matter a lot is the main appeal of AIS in TD.

In pure AIS quests the feel is not the same, because everyone is equally responsible. And also equally gimped - that's nature of limited moveset of an AIS.

D-Inferno
Jul 19, 2016, 02:43 PM
I prefer it gets retired from here on out. It does not fit into PSO2 at all.

I'm hoping that if TDs get a difficulty upgrade, that AIS is only 1 for each player per run, and that there are more AIS-resistance enemies present.

TehCubey
Jul 19, 2016, 03:52 PM
Yamato can't really be failed but hell, old Elder or Loser can't really be failed either and I don't see people complaining. It's actually a fun fight and while on the easy side, a good MPA will still clear it quicker than random bumblers who have no idea how to dodge attacks or use their photon cannons efficiently.

My answer to more AIs is: yes please. Maybe make their quests a bit harder, but I don't ask for more than that.

BTW mecha are a man's romance, and chicks dig giant robots.

yoshiblue
Jul 19, 2016, 04:06 PM
I prefer it gets retired from here on out. It does not fit into PSO2 at all.

Would be nice if the only other vehicles we see on the field weren't the airships and whatever destroyed cars we find littering the cities. I agree that AIS are kind of out of place because before then, there wasn't really any need for anything besides us.

Sure why not, more AIS, but keep them as a strategic resource. I'd personally prefer if we had compact tanks or transforming machine gun motorcycle turrets.

Sirius-91
Jul 19, 2016, 04:13 PM
Maybe set defeat condition in AIS-exclusive quest.
Yamato fight was mindnumblingly boring simply because there's no risk for dying at all.

We have limited stock, as seen from the ship we're on. You'd think we'd be limited to only that amount.

AsinineWaffle
Jul 19, 2016, 06:10 PM
If content like Yamato is how they'd be implemented in the future, I'd be more than fine without them.

I mean I had fun with it at first but I'm not interested in more AIS quests with an absurd amount of time and zero consequences for dying.

Bellion
Jul 19, 2016, 06:15 PM
I find the AIS game-play to be quite boring and never liked the idea of relying on them to carry in the TD/MBD quests. If I wanted to pilot giant mobile machines there are definitely other games I'd rather play.

Selphea
Jul 19, 2016, 06:26 PM
Gimme AIS customization including the ability to equip bit weapons and maybe.

Tunga
Jul 19, 2016, 06:46 PM
I don't mind the A.I.S as long as they don't overdo it.

Xaeris
Jul 19, 2016, 07:09 PM
I like the AIS. But I think it's strange that they choose to make AIS centered content so lax and forgiving. On foot, our characters' strength vary wildly from player to player. On one end of the spectrum, you have a Bouncer with a Lv 10 subclass that empties their entire PP bar just to kill a predicahda, and on the other end of the spectrum, you've got Forces with rainbow equipment that can melt a swarm of goldradhas with PP to spare. In the AIS, every player's power is identical. Being able to actually pilot the thing is another story for some people, but the AIS puts everyone on a level playing field, and should theoretically allow the devs to assume a precise level of power from the MPA. Around that, they should be able to balance a reasonable challenge, something they can't really do when they have to account for that first spectrum. Instead, they make Yamato. It's weird.

nguuuquaaa
Jul 19, 2016, 07:18 PM
Can we have AIS vs Ultra Hyper Super Extreme Supreme Maximum Dangerous [Profound Darkness] with beams and bits and rockets everywhere? :wacko:
More preferable if the one who die would get lower score together with lower drops :wacko:

CoWorker
Jul 19, 2016, 07:24 PM
im really itching for a AIS customization, like changing parts and weapon types

but also i would like able to use AIS on Free Field with some sort of stamina system that fully recharges every 4hours~, with that 4 hours recharge time it only lets you use the AIS for about 60 secs... Something like that

loafhero
Jul 19, 2016, 08:53 PM
I find it baffling that some people here think that giant robots don't fit in a space-sci fi setting complete with giant advanced space ships and with so many of the monsters being bigger and stronger. The better question is why wouldn't giant robots fit in PSO2?

Anyway, I think AIS's should stay but the content that involves it should be challenging and give that feeling of "great power comes great responsibility" that we get from TD3. Yamato EQ should stay for the sole purpose of being the only AIS content that's all fun and no burden.

Additionally, I'd love to see new types of AISs introduced in future content. The kind of AIS content that has players using different types of AISs that fulfil a specific role.

Can we have AIS vs Ultra Hyper Super Extreme Supreme Maximum Dangerous [Profound Darkness] with beams and bits and rockets everywhere? :wacko:

The reason AISs aren't used against PD in the first place is due to the lore stating that AISs are easily vulnerable to Darker corruption, hence why AISs can only be used for a short time in TDs and why AIS Exodas exist. Considering how PD is the granddaddy of Darkers, any AIS that comes close to it will probably turn to Exodas in an instant.

Meteor Weapon
Jul 19, 2016, 09:08 PM
Been wondering why the platform ship we rode when fighting PD didn't get corrupted. Have more resistance to corruption due to near zero weaponry other than photon powered missiles, I guess?

SteveCZ
Jul 19, 2016, 09:17 PM
Been wondering why the platform ship we rode when fighting PD didn't get corrupted. Have more resistance to corruption due to near zero weaponry other than photon powered missiles, I guess?

They are picky, they want only da bezt.

TaigaUC
Jul 19, 2016, 10:35 PM
I like AIS, but it felt like they just threw it in without really planning ahead.
Barely any explanation, can't even customize the palette. Rings that magically affect AIS.
It doesn't even have consistent controls between EQs, which is really annoying.

They could have added way more gameplay depth if the AIS was a customizable system.
With its own story and background and what not. Instead, it's just there. Sometimes.

loafhero
Jul 19, 2016, 10:56 PM
They could have added way more gameplay depth if the AIS was a customizable system.
With its own story and background and what not. Instead, it's just there. Sometimes.

It couldn't have hurt to have a cutscene giving a brief introduction and overview of the AISs and their abilities. Maybe add in an NPC or two with a background of being the ones who conceptualized and engineered the AISs while also serving as tutorial guides on how to use an AIS.

RadiantLegend
Jul 19, 2016, 11:02 PM
A.I.S free exploration pls.

elryan
Jul 20, 2016, 12:07 AM
I like AIS. But AIS requires customization to be fun.

Custom body kit

http://i.imgur.com/RQ0LZfJ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/elawc76.jpg

Custom weapons

https://tse2.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.Mf63ba063c691095b6af621281fbf2301o0&pid=15.1

Or to be challenging, AIS outside TD and Magatsu can simply match player's stats.

Yamato AIS was great because flight mode is new and unlike what we've seen before. But Yamato AIS lacks that "threat" factor. You cannot fail Yamato no matter what happens and that's boring.

And this is something that someone said before, but it would be epic if in ChangeOver E-Code, instead of sending player turrets, AIS panel drops down and lets you board it for 1 minute.

Meteor Weapon
Jul 20, 2016, 12:26 AM
It had potential, but SEGA ruined it with their lack of creativity. With those rings around affecting AIS's, AIS customization is near hopeless.

udon-GE
Jul 20, 2016, 12:45 AM
PSO2: Titanfall

still waiting for that space battle with Variable AIS, while Quna singing in the back, assaulting darkers mothership.

Xaeris
Jul 20, 2016, 12:47 AM

still waiting for that space battle with Variable AIS, while Quna singing in the back, assaulting darkers mothership.

We're friends now.

AutumnChronicle
Jul 20, 2016, 01:19 AM
I think a EQ where powered-up ARKS fight against waves of Exodas would be pretty cool.

And by powered-up I mean a la Super Saiyan, complete with flying animations and visual effects, since the player is supposed to be some kind of god-like operative able to fend off evil space gods. Would be nice if they could visually reflect that.

Never gonna happen but a guy can dream I suppose.

TaigaUC
Jul 20, 2016, 01:29 AM
Now that I think of it, I have to wonder if part of the reason why they keep doing these slapdash half-assed implementations is because the code is THAT BAD.
Or their programmers are THAT BAD.

Like they probably wanted to make AIS more interesting, spent ages trying to code it, and the game imploded because there were too many chairs.
So they scrapped it and slapped it in as it is now.

Maybe the game has no memory to save custom configs for AIS. Probably some stupid reason like that.
I remember when Mass Effect 3 came out, and everyone is permanently stuck with weapons drawn.
The official excuse was that the console versions didn't have enough memory to sheathe and draw.
Which sounds like BS to me, but whatever. If they're not lying their asses off, it says a lot about their abilities.

loafhero
Jul 20, 2016, 01:57 AM

With that new Independence Day-like Mothership Trial(?) from the upcoming Vegas map and the foundations of the Yamato EQ, the devs have NO excuse to NOT make an EQ like that.

NephyrisX
Jul 20, 2016, 08:38 AM
Yay. I am fine with the implementation of AIS as it is; a strategic resource that is only used during Emergencies that should be used sparingly against enemies and have actual consequences should you use it poorly.

Megatsu AIS is somewhat like that since there's a time limit and dying means you are losing time getting back into the fight and repositioning.Yamato AIS isn't as engaging simply because there's no consequence to dying. However, while it takes some time to get used to, I really enjoy the flight mechanics of it and hope to see more of it in the future.

Also, why in the holy hell are people complaining about pilotable robots being "out of place" in PSO2? Like, isn't robots like one of THE staple Sci-fi tropes out there? PSO2 is essentially a compliation of Japanese sci-fi anime tropes and with the presence of massive Darker siege engines like Dark Vibrace and Dark Ragne, I am in fact more surprised that AIS didn't get implemented sooner.

TaigaUC
Jul 20, 2016, 09:13 AM
If the game wasn't so lacking in content, we'd probably have tons more missions to mess around in AIS, instead of... how many is it now, 3? Over the course of 2-3 years?

Zephyrion
Jul 20, 2016, 09:37 AM
If the game wasn't so lacking in content, we'd probably have tons more missions to mess around in AIS, instead of... how many is it now, 3? Over the course of 2-3 years?

5 if we count the TD separately and bonus keys.Personally I find A.I.S very very fun and fitting for PSO2 but I actually hope SEGA will lay off them a little bit. A.I.S are very limited, and the pleasure I feel from driving them comes from how rare it is to get to drive them in missions and feel the power-up. Yamato and stuff is nice, but aside from how easy it is,using A.I.S too often just feels repetitive in the end. So I'm for "yay...sometimes"

isCasted
Jul 20, 2016, 09:39 AM
2 years, 7 quests: TD3, Magatsu Sai, TD4, Magatsu Bonus Quests, Yamato, 2016 GP Intermediate (which is gone).

Still pretty sad. It's clear that updates are coming in slowly because of bad code. I don't blame programmers, though - SoJ's management is greedy and incompetent. A team of programmers who built a massive game like this would know all the flaws of their codebase, and they would have a desire to refactor it, because it's something they have to work with. But it's really hard to explain greedy non-programmers why you need this extra time and money for something that doesn't give results that are visible to them. Even biggest software-related businesses have this issue, be it Microsoft, or Oracle, or Autodesk...

TyroneSama
Jul 20, 2016, 05:49 PM
I play the game to improve my character and experience my personal power fantasy, not AFK spam in an invincible robot with handling less responsive than SEGA's customer service.

AIS are mechanically uninteresting and a chore to move around in. I'd rather not see them in the future.

Shadowstarkirby
Jul 20, 2016, 06:57 PM
I like AIS, there's so much potential for them to be super fun to use. But they don't feel good to control for me at all. They just feel rigid and I often have to fight with it to do what I want. Shooting my gun after dashing drops my altitude, dashing backwards makes me swivel around in ways I don't want, I have to keep jumping to maintain height despite there being promotional videos of them being capable of flight. Only other game I played that let me control giant robots was Xenoblade Chronicles X and that game made piloting them very fun, unlike PSO2 making them very frustrating when fighting anything that has me up in the air. I don't see them fixing that up though, so whatever, you get used to it.

I wanna continue seeing them in the future with new quests that warrant their use, but I'd like to see more depth added to them, like I dunno, give us different PAs to slot into our AIS moveset? Give them different active skills depending on the class using it? Just make them customizable in general, they're robots after all....

Altiea
Jul 20, 2016, 07:25 PM
Just make them customizable in general, they're robots after all....

Ironically, Materials Collection states that AIS are very versatile machines, and the attachments that they come with can be swapped out based on the Quest at hand. So they're customizable... in lore. Their primary function IS mining base defense, however.

SteveCZ
Jul 20, 2016, 08:37 PM
Yeah I think it's fine to have to keep having AIS. In TD you have only 1 - 3 chances to use AIS, that makes it valuable both time and usage timing or whether to use it or not at all. If you refer to the one in Yamato, now that's a bit broken.

AIS free field? No. That makes AIS not special anymore.

Also the AIS control isn't cool enough, its orientation needs to be revamped. I want to fly it like a flying battle space gundam with wings, not a car that can float. Warframe done it right.

Meteor Weapon
Jul 20, 2016, 09:20 PM
Yamato might get a revamp half a year later like any other super boss so....who knows if Yamato flew off to space and morph into a super robot thingy.

loafhero
Jul 20, 2016, 10:21 PM
Ironically, Materials Collection states that AIS are very versatile machines, and the attachments that they come with can be swapped out based on the Quest at hand. So they're customizable... in lore. Their primary function IS mining base defense, however.

That makes sense seeing as how the high speed dashing they can do in the Yamato EQ is a brand new ability not seen before in TDs and Magatsu Sai.

TaigaUC
Jul 21, 2016, 02:50 AM
People keep saying they don't want to see more of AIS because it'll become boring.
I think that's assuming that AIS will always remain roughly the same.

What I'm saying is, if they developed AIS further, it wouldn't always be the same thing, and should have enough variance to stand on its own.
That's also assuming they did it well, which isn't very likely considering SEGA's track record.

Not saying AIS should be integrated into every quest.
I think that AIS could be a separate type of quest, with its own missions and so forth.
Because AIS don't really play like our characters. They'd be like a separate character within our character. With their own separate missions.
But again, SEGA doesn't seem to do much else with AIS. They're just there to serve the purpose of a temporary "super mode".

You could say that rideroid thing is like one example of how AIS could have been used elsewhere.
Rideroid is probably going to end up the same way. Occasionally thrown in on a few specific battles.
I personally don't like how they add these new things that only apply to very specific areas.
Feels very limiting, which is extra bad considering the lack of content.

ranrii
Jul 23, 2016, 03:00 AM

Photon Barrier Punch when?

AIS should be time-limited indeed,or at least behave as a limited resource. Maybe like, you have a cost gauge of 6 and if 6 AIS are incapacitated during YAMATO, dead players will no longer respond. In-universe explanation being that the ship the player came to Earth in does not carry that many AIS.

Meteor Weapon
Jul 23, 2016, 04:32 AM
I wonder how many AIS exploded during the first wave of Yamato's Zero planes

loafhero
Jul 23, 2016, 06:44 AM
I wonder how many AIS exploded during the first wave of Yamato's Zero planes

You mean in the CGI intro? From what I saw, just one AIS exploded from a kamikaze attack and that's only because it had to expose itself to danger in order to grab the freeze missile launcher to stop the Yamato from moving... which, assuming the pilot died, turns out to be a pointless sacrifice since the Yamato breaks free from the ice trap and regenerates its guns.

Meteor Weapon
Jul 23, 2016, 07:54 AM
Check again, I remember a few other than that sacrificial misile launch got blown up.

loafhero
Jul 23, 2016, 09:17 AM
Check again, I remember a few other than that sacrificial misile launch got blown up.

Just checked. Other than the one who fired the freeze missile, only one other got blown up from the Yamato's cannons before the planes started showing up.

TehCubey
Jul 23, 2016, 10:04 AM
If you get blown up, you just respawn 5 seconds later anyway. Amirite

ranrii
Jul 24, 2016, 06:41 AM
Just checked. Other than the one who fired the freeze missile, only one other got blown up from the Yamato's cannons before the planes started showing up.

The Humar was the one that was grabbing the freeze missile, and he escaped from the AIS just before it was hit by the Zero. There's some sort of system to beam the pilot out of the AIS much like how the warp portals on campships warp ARKS onto the surface of a planet.