PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Non-Gameplay/Fashion Element?

Altiea
Aug 6, 2016, 11:42 AM
And we're back.

So, this sounds kinda similar to an earlier question I posed a month ago, which was "What do you like about PSO2?" A lot of the responses came down to how the game actually played, as well as the versatile customization and waifu fashion options. But what else is there to like about PSO2? Music is a fairly common answer. What about lore? The characters? The things you can do that don't involve playing the game? Phantasy Star Nova?

What is your favorite non-gameplay, non-fashion element of PSO2?

Sirius-91
Aug 6, 2016, 11:53 AM
Actual keyboard+mouse controls, unlike that silly and awful system that is PSU and PSOBB.

Shoterxx
Aug 6, 2016, 12:07 PM
I had plenty, but almost every single one of them went "Well, there's X feature that makes it annoying/stupid, though".
Customizable support partners, I guess? I wish they were human sized, though.

AutumnChronicle
Aug 6, 2016, 12:13 PM
I would never admit this to anyone IRL but I have a weakness for the 2 pairs of twins (P&T, Sara & KK) because their design and sister dynamics are super adorable. PSU/Portable had its fair share of waifus (Emilia & Lumia, Lou and Chelsea :o) but I find that PSO2's cast is generally more likable, aesthetically at least.

Fourier is pretty adorable too, really like how she can be cute even though her design isn't conventionally attractive.

Story-wise, I've thoroughly enjoyed EP1-3 and even parts of EP4. It's cliche and predictable for the most part but I liked the time-traveling and how the PC is written to try his/her best to save others. It's a different atmosphere from the setting that I've grown so attached to in PSO or PSU sure, but Oracle has come to feel like a second home at this point.

I also have the option of playing Fashion Star Online through my squad of support partners so that's nice too.

ZerotakerZX
Aug 6, 2016, 12:26 PM
same-sex marriage, when it finnaly be added. or any form of marriage at all.

Zyrusticae
Aug 6, 2016, 02:41 PM
Tier 6 graphics are nice. Only reason I managed to get back into the game as much as I have. Tier 5 was just kind of shitty low-tier PSVita crap (which makes sense because it was made for the Vita basically); Tier 6 is what the game should have launched with way back.

The remake of Ooze. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uawVO8PaVls) So good. I'm actually sad that the phase goes by so quickly nowadays, even after the boosted version was released. Ofc the music in general (outside of most field music besides challenge mode and the mothership) has been pretty good. The base defense themes are hype incarnate. I still want them to make field music get overridden by the boss themes when a big boss is on the field. We get that in some LQs and EQs, but that's not enough. I never get to hear Falz Angel's theme or Dark Ragne's theme anymore. Quartz Dragon's theme is too good to be limited to one area. So on and so forth.

Io is love, Io is life.

My Room needs work, but even in its limited state I appreciate that we actually have somewhat functional housing, and none of that nonsensical limited lots bullshit we see in FFXIV.

Can't think of anything else that's not explicitly gameplay- or fashion-related.

loafhero
Aug 6, 2016, 09:28 PM
The soundtrack is definitely one of my favourite parts of the game. Say what you want about SEGA's qualities as a developer and its questionable decision-making but I can always expect amazing and memorable soundtracks from its games. I really appreciate how every level and specific bosses has its own soundtrack.

Fourier is pretty adorable too, really like how she can be cute even though her design isn't conventionally attractive.

This is a pretty good point you brought up. Yes, its impressive how Fourier manages to be cute for so many players despite having an overall design that isn't even meant to be cute. It can be said that Fourier is a shining example of inner beauty as her great personality outshines her appearance. It just goes to show that good character writing trumps character design and that even the cutest-designed character could still end up unattractive.

I'm also entertained by her interactions with Lisa who is the exact opposite of Fourier in both appearance and personality.

Zysets
Aug 6, 2016, 09:59 PM
Definitely music, the music in PSO2 is in no way any lesser than any of the previous games, which is great.

Besides that, the story is actually very fun sand interesting despite some of the more obvious flaws. The whole story mission in Episode 2 leading up to Luther was really immersive and well put together. Even some of the less engaging story bits are at least fun too. I see lots of complaints about Episode 4's story and presentation, but I won't lie, I've had fun so far.

And finally, I have to say the characters, even if quite a few NPCs don't get much development or depth added to them, I love every single one of them. If I had to pick one character though, I'd definitely choose Maria. No offense to the rest of the cast, but she's pretty refreshing to interact with when most of the other characters are somewhere in their teens or early twenties, or at
least act like it.

I've played every game in the series, besides Nova, and I wouldn't say PSO2 is the top of my list, but it's pretty close.

Selphea
Aug 6, 2016, 10:11 PM
I'm also entertained by her interactions with Lisa who is the exact opposite of Fourier in both appearance and personality.

They're both explosion freaks! There should be a Konosuba collab so we can have Lisa, Fourier and Megumin in the same party.

Xaeris
Aug 6, 2016, 10:15 PM
Rie Takahashi voice ticket when.

As for me, I'm pretty fond of My Room. It was fairly primitive in PSU, but still pretty good, so this massive improvement in the PSO2 incarnation has been pretty great for me.

Sir Loin
Aug 6, 2016, 10:20 PM
same-sex marriage, when it finnaly be added.
nah we don't need that garbage in this game

Maninbluejumpsuit
Aug 6, 2016, 11:53 PM
They're both explosion freaks! There should be a Konosuba collab so we can have Lisa, Fourier and Megumin in the same party.

Lisa is a rifle fangirl.
Fourier like explosions.
There was one event tab where they had a firearms fangirl moment.

Sirius-91
Aug 7, 2016, 12:39 AM
nah we don't need that garbage in this game
The concept of marriage doesn't exist in the future. Yes, there's wedding dresses, but ARKS doesn't seem to understand this concept, nor the meaning behind it.

Altiea
Aug 7, 2016, 12:42 AM
The concept of marriage doesn't exist in the future. Yes, there's wedding dresses, but ARKS doesn't seem to understand this concept, nor the meaning behind it.

We have a Wedding Lobby. But then again, Oracle apparently recognizes Japanese holidays despite only discovering Japan's existence in AP 240, so...

yoshiblue
Aug 7, 2016, 12:46 AM
http://i.imgur.com/hX6g5yZ.png?1

loafhero
Aug 7, 2016, 01:22 AM

In that one cutscene of Fourier & Lisa, the difference in their preferred weapon of bringing death upon their enemies is acknowledged. Lisa prefers Rifles because she enjoys watching her enemies get shred to pieces with every bullet fired at them. Fourier prefers Launchers because she likes destroying multiple enemies in one go while being able to enjoy the view. Yet, they still became BFFs because at the end of the day, they really enjoy killing stuff.

MaeIstrom
Aug 7, 2016, 01:38 AM

I totally agree!

Selphea
Aug 7, 2016, 06:19 AM
Lisa is a rifle fangirl.
Fourier like explosions.
There was one event tab where they had a firearms fangirl moment.

In that one cutscene of Fourier & Lisa, the difference in their preferred weapon of bringing death upon their enemies is acknowledged. Lisa prefers Rifles because she enjoys watching her enemies get shred to pieces with every bullet fired at them. Fourier prefers Launchers because she likes destroying multiple enemies in one go while being able to enjoy the view. Yet, they still became BFFs because at the end of the day, they really enjoy killing stuff.

Rifles still make explosions, the only difference is where! :wacko:

loafhero
Aug 7, 2016, 09:13 AM
Another thing I like is how the game's cast of characters are voiced by popular VAs in Japan. As someone who has watched enough anime to be familiar with the industry's well-known talents, it does feel rewarding to be able to identify who is voicing who. For example, when I hear Echo talk I'd say "Hey! Its Mio from K-ON!" or when I hear Matoi talk I'd say "Hey! Its Wendy from Fairy Tail!" or hearing Claris Claes III I'd say "Hey! Its Tatsumaki from One Punch Man!.

I mean, just look at how many people had fun referencing Dio Brando from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure when they saw Ophiel's method of killing off Bethor? :D There's already someone in Youtube (Rodel John Mata) that edited that scene to add in Dio's signature phrase:
[SPOILER-BOX]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7AcQZnJZx0[/SPOILER-BOX]

I'm still hoping for the day that Romi Park gets a role in the game's story along with a voice ticket with Edward Elric's personality just so I could get a kick out of having my shorty character yelling "DON'T CALL ME SMALL!!".

Icis
Aug 7, 2016, 09:33 AM
The story.

MaeIstrom
Aug 7, 2016, 04:15 PM

btw, I found one Megumin today, lol.

ArcaneTechs
Aug 7, 2016, 06:19 PM
same-sex marriage, when it finnaly be added. or any form of marriage at all.
You can do that already with friends and team mates buf if your expecting something on the lines of "Married to and On:" to show up on your partner card along with a cutscene etc to be added then its gonna be a long shot before that happens. Same sex marriage,you can do it already. Lot of people RP already so not a big deal and clicking "I Do" "I Do Not" is not a major game changer either for the cutscene.

Either way, its here already in another form, we dont need progressive agendas being pushed into this game, we get enough of this everyday, leave it out of our games

EDIT: and by gamechanger i mean its not gonna ruin the game for everyone just because you didnt get an option to say yes or no. Be happy they even bothered to make the cutscene happen. An option for yes or no does not mean the game is trash cuz muh choices fherefore game sbould be dropped and boycotted follow by petitions for SoJ to rectify it follow by petitions for the "US" release to not make the same mistakes

Great Pan
Aug 7, 2016, 07:05 PM
CASTS' FASHIONS.

udon-GE
Aug 7, 2016, 07:29 PM
Cast separate parts coloring
CAST camo paint
sticker placement/size customization

loafhero
Aug 7, 2016, 07:36 PM
You can do that already with friends and team mates buf if your expecting something on the lines of "Married to and On:" to show up on your partner card along with a cutscene etc to be added then its gonna be a long shot before that happens. Same sex marriage,you can do it already. Lot of people RP already so not a big deal and clicking "I Do" "I Do Not" is not a major game changer either for the cutscene.

Before marriage with NPCs should even be discussed as a topic, the devs need to first learn how to write decent romances in the first place beyond "This girl is immediately attached to you because the plot says so" and "Its not like this girl likes you or anything. Baka!".

That said, in EP4, our character does seem to have developed a sex drive. Right in the early part of the story, our character can (once again) hit on Io but is much more aggressive about it and can even hit on Xierra at some point (which is creepy since she's technically 2 years old).

ArcaneTechs
Aug 7, 2016, 09:08 PM
Before marriage with NPCs should even be discussed as a topic, the devs need to first learn how to write decent romances in the first place beyond "This girl is immediately attached to you because the plot says so" and "Its not like this girl likes you or anything. Baka!".

That said, in EP4, our character does seem to have developed a sex drive. Right in the early part of the story, our character can (once again) hit on Io but is much more aggressive about it and can even hit on Xierra at some point (which is creepy since she's technically 2 years old).
Who was Xierra again?

Xaeris
Aug 7, 2016, 09:10 PM
Xierra is the Episode 4 navigator: the one with the pigtails.

Zyrusticae
Aug 7, 2016, 10:36 PM
[...]and can even hit on Xierra at some point (which is creepy since she's technically 2 years old).
This is a complete misunderstanding of why we don't prey on 2-year-olds.

The whole point of outlawing sexual liaisons between two persons of widely differing age (and especially children) is because of the power dynamics involved. A teacher, a boss, a parent, an aunt or uncle, etc., etc. will have leverage over the kid that they can exploit to get what they want without repercussions. This is, of course, on top of the fact that kids are still developing their knowledge of the world and how to navigate it.

For a being like Xierra, who has had knowledge implanted into her using high technology, this simply does not apply. She is 100% capable of informed consent and is not in need of any special protections.

Of course, this has implications for how life works on the Oracle fleet, considering reproduction is apparently entirely in vitro. Likely everyone is 100% sterile and sex is exclusively for fun and not reproduction there.

Zysets
Aug 7, 2016, 10:56 PM
Of course, this has implications for how life works on the Oracle fleet, considering reproduction is apparently entirely in vitro. Likely everyone is 100% sterile and sex is exclusively for fun and not reproduction there.

Is that true? I remember Xiao saying that the only generation of ARKS to be "test tube babies" was the first generation.

ArcaneTechs
Aug 7, 2016, 11:47 PM
Xierra is the Episode 4 navigator: the one with the pigtails.
Ok ive been calling her Sierra, not fond of the Eng trans names they do, Doctor Ghidora doesnt fit with me, Doctul Ghidora seems right but w/e

Altiea
Aug 8, 2016, 12:09 AM
Ok ive been calling her Sierra, not fond of the Eng trans names they do, Doctor Ghidora doesnt fit with me, Doctul Ghidora seems right but w/e

Sierra is the Eng patch name. Xierra is just used by everyone who wants to keep the "X" theme with Xion and Xiao.

loafhero
Aug 8, 2016, 01:49 AM
Sierra is the Eng patch name. Xierra is just used by everyone who wants to keep the "X" theme with Xion and Xiao.

Oddly enough, though her text box lists her as "Sierra", she referred to herself as "Xierra" when introducing herself to us in the current translation of the game.

Zysets
Aug 8, 2016, 01:03 PM
I like to call her Sierra, because while I think the "x" spelling was fitting for Xion and Xiao considering what they are, Sierra is simply your operator.

I do kind of wish Xiao had been the main operator instead, I liked him much better.

Zyrusticae
Aug 8, 2016, 01:19 PM
Is that true? I remember Xiao saying that the only generation of ARKS to be "test tube babies" was the first generation.
I have no idea. They never go into detail on how life on the Oracle fleet works. They never mention any parents (aside from Katori mentioning her father off-hand) and there's never any discussion of people having children. Might have to dive into the side content to see if anything is mentioned there. I doubt it, though.

Zysets
Aug 8, 2016, 03:17 PM
I have no idea. They never go into detail on how life on the Oracle fleet works. They never mention any parents (aside from Katori mentioning her father off-hand) and there's never any discussion of people having children. Might have to dive into the side content to see if anything is mentioned there. I doubt it, though.

I'm pretty sure they have parents the regular old way, in the same scene I mentioned, Xiao tells Ulc that after the first generation, everyone has their mother and father, and that the Photoners were hoping for a "mutation" in the ARKS that could help with the profound darkness problem. If everyone was a test tube baby, I bet they could have just done what they wanted from the start instead of waiting for natural evolution.

Altiea
Aug 8, 2016, 03:39 PM
"Jean is Katori's father" is still probably someone's headcanon, devs cutting it be damned.

Zyrusticae
Aug 8, 2016, 04:54 PM
If that's the case, they've handled it very poorly. Then again, I guess it's just a trope in Japan at this point to never mention the parents of the principle cast, even though they should be instrumental in everything they do. (One more reason why Boku no Hero Academia is so, so good...) Would have been nice to see at least someone have an active ARKS member as a parent.

IchijinKali
Aug 8, 2016, 07:47 PM
Giving CASTs the ability to Hover for their Run animation and letting us customize our support partners though it would be nice if they were in the story for more than just one mission.

loafhero
Aug 8, 2016, 08:19 PM
"Jean is Katori's father" is still probably someone's headcanon, devs cutting it be damned.

Would have been nice to see at least someone have an active ARKS member as a parent.

Though Jean being Katori's dad was cut out from the story, it still wouldn't be too late for the directors to make that canon at some point. While it would be odd to establish a living relative for a character this late into the story (i.e. Uncharted 4), it wouldn't contradict with anything about Katori's character. As long as its executed well (i.e. Uncharted 4) it wouldn't be a problem. Plus, they'll eventually need to do something new with Katori's character to keep her relevant.

That dialogue of Katori mentioning her father off-hand was confirmed by the directors to have been a line written while they were still sticking to making Katori as Jean's daughter before that idea got cut.

Sirius-91
Aug 8, 2016, 09:59 PM
Oddly enough, though her text box lists her as "Sierra", she referred to herself as "Xierra" when introducing herself to us in the current translation of the game.
Dengeki and 4gamer used translations given to them by SEGA.They listed "Sierra" as XIera/Xierra, which is what Bumped uses as well.

English Patch uses Sierra.

Zysets
Aug 8, 2016, 10:33 PM
Though Jean being Katori's dad was cut out from the story, it still wouldn't be too late for the directors to make that canon at some point. While it would be odd to establish a living relative for a character this late into the story (i.e. Uncharted 4), it wouldn't contradict with anything about Katori's character. As long as its executed well (i.e. Uncharted 4) it wouldn't be a problem. Plus, they'll eventually need to do something new with Katori's character to keep her relevant.

That dialogue of Katori mentioning her father off-hand was confirmed by the directors to have been a line written while they were still sticking to making Katori as Jean's daughter before that idea got cut.

I'd be pretty glad if they found a way to put it in, maybe have one of those short side stories that branch off from the main one involving the two of them. It never hurts to have some fun with the side characters.

Freshellent
Aug 9, 2016, 02:20 AM
I've always been really fond of the Lobbies in this game. I like decorations and the music, usually. It's nice to see stuff like that change.
Little things to remind me of what's going on in the world while I mess around in a virtual one is welcome.

As corny as that can be, it helps my own like- mental state I guess.

wefwq
Aug 9, 2016, 02:54 AM
Maybe the music? I liked TD and Falzes BGM so much.

Actual keyboard+mouse controls, unlike that silly and awful system that is PSU and PSOBB.
It's still gameplay-related though, but yeah control layout in this game is very good indeed.

loafhero
Aug 9, 2016, 03:23 AM
While I do wish they bring back an explorable city as a lobby just for the fun of it, the lobby that we do have in-game is pretty nice. I have yet to grow tired of looking at it on a daily basis.

Sirius-91
Aug 9, 2016, 07:21 AM
While I do wish they bring back an explorable city as a lobby just for the fun of it, the lobby that we do have in-game is pretty nice. I have yet to grow tired of looking at it on a daily basis.
It's what I really liked about PSU, the many many many hub worlds. The only thing I didn't like was that the only place to change your class, was back at the space station.

Keilyn
Aug 9, 2016, 09:21 PM
Finally :)
I am back from Spain, and here to enlighten (or torment) the masses all over again!.

My favorite from PSO-2...

Music: I spend a lot of my time learning and working on my own versions of what I hear in games for Solo Instrument performance. Sometimes I get inspired to write my own music... In fact it was three pieces of music from PSO DC version that got me into working on music for Television, Video, and Movies. I just loved hearing variable music based on Jazz Theory and Harmony being thrown into the games mixed with Modern-Romantic (My favorite Era of music) musical theory and composition.

Music is a reason why I stay in a game at times.

loafhero
Aug 9, 2016, 09:43 PM
It's what I really liked about PSU, the many many many hub worlds. The only thing I didn't like was that the only place to change your class, was back at the space station.

Not sure why PSU didn't just create areas to manage your class in all available hubs. Lore issues, maybe?

I can definitely see the pros in PSO2's use of less hub areas, focusing on providing player necessities quickly over immersion. That said, it'd be nice if an alternate, not-all-hell-breaking-loose version of the Urban Sector map is made available as an explorable area just for fun.

Unlike in many other MMOs where you have different trainers in different areas, thus making each one of them mostly forgettable, PSO2 having only very few hub areas means that it can have just one or two trainers as the faces you see regularly so you'd feel attached to them. It helps that the game does give the trainers cutscene screen time not just to promote the new classes but to give these characters that you're going to see regularly a recognisable personality.

TaigaUC
Aug 9, 2016, 10:40 PM
I like some of the earlier bosses, like Ragne. The later ones feel like more of a mess.
Ragne still has that amazing sense of weight when it leaps around, and when it swings at you. You can really feel it.

PSO2's new graphics engine is also pretty good. Let down by the low res textures, low polygon models and miniscule draw distance, but it's pretty good.
The particle effects in general are nice, when they're not obscuring everything and blinding you.

I also like that PSO2 has a lot of physics for hair and cloth, and with decent collision. More than most games I can recall.
One game that feels amazing with hair/cloth physics is Bloodborne. Makes everything look and feel amazing.
In Bloodborne, when you heal, it feels great. When you dodge, it feels great. When you kill a boss, they explode and your clothes billow about. It's great.
I've cleared Bloodborne 10 times and it still looks and feels incredible.

If only PSO2 had ragdoll physics. Everything having the same single death animation takes a lot away from the feel of the combat.
Punch an enemy in the stomach, they go flying miles away, bouncing off a wall, etc... and it just plays the "oh I fell on my back" animation.
They're in their "lying flat on the ground" pose while flying through the air. It looks so bad.
After going and playing other games that have ragdoll physics, they feel so much better. It makes a huge difference.
It's not hard to implement, either. Especially considering PSO2 uses physics for so many other things.

loafhero
Aug 9, 2016, 11:09 PM
If only PSO2 had ragdoll physics. Everything having the same single death animation takes a lot away from the feel of the combat.
Punch an enemy in the stomach, they go flying miles away, bouncing off a wall, etc... and it just plays the "oh I fell on my back" animation. Looks so bad.
After going and playing other games that have ragdoll physics, it feels so much better and makes a huge difference.

Ragdoll physics tend to make way for even more ridiculous-looking outcomes but I can see your point.

I'd prefer dismemberments and disintegration though like what we saw in the anime but I guess that'd be far too taxing for the devs. Still, it would be awesome if say a boss like Zeshrayda can either be decapitated or have its entire shell body crack in an explosive manner or a Wolgahda losing an arm upon death.

Even without this, I do love how certain enemies and bosses have destructible parts. Its quite visually pleasing to see even when they all have the same death animation. The sound of Dragon EX's crown head cracking and the "mushy" sound of the Vol Dragon's horns getting hit is so oddly satisfying.

ArcaneTechs
Aug 9, 2016, 11:14 PM
Now see I remember reading awhile back that Sega said they wanted to add back (in some way, I was thinking PSO1/2, there were sorta 3 types of lobbies) the Alpha Lobby sometime down the line because people did like it and well here we are still with this same boring lobby. Something akin to PSU lobby exploration would have been great again EXCEPT this time around, none of that lobby gate one mission bs to get to different area's, if anything ALL Quest Counters share the exact same thing so if an EQ starts you can start it wherever you are.

Maybe they'll learn in PSO3 how to execute the game aside just learning this all now or w/e, feels like babies first MMO at this point