PDA

View Full Version : [SPOILERS]Phantasy Star Nova and PSO2 Lore and Story Connection

Meteor Weapon
Aug 30, 2016, 04:41 AM
So since PSNova is sort of another different story branch compared to the storyline of PSO2 which is mostly focused on Dark Falz, Profound Darkness and Earth(lol), it's kinda sad that PSO2 doesn't have any sort of cameo from Nova itself.

Is there anyone here who played Nova and and give a full synopsis going on in Planet Makia, and rate the quality writing of the whole story compared to lol EP4?

[SPOILER-BOX]
I spoiled myself so I watch the ending, seems like the Planet Makia chapter was already and Oracle porbably have no reason to visit the planet itself.
[/SPOILER-BOX]

By the way, I never knew how much full sales they got when they Nova was realesed so can anyone confirm.

wefwq
Aug 30, 2016, 05:52 AM
It has the weakest debut sales (http://www.siliconera.com/2014/12/03/this-week-in-sales-phantasy-star-nova-takes-a-dive/) compared to other portable PS titles that published for sony handheld.

FOnewearl-Lina
Aug 30, 2016, 06:12 AM
That's still pretty good considering Vita has only sold 1/5 of units the PSP sold in it's lifetime.

Raujinn
Aug 30, 2016, 06:16 AM
At a guess, Nova probably isn't considered canon.

We do have a costume from it at least (the chef robot in Franka's Cafe)

Meteor Weapon
Aug 30, 2016, 07:19 AM
Still better than compared to uh.....PSO2 Anime dvd sales i think. Their pushing it too much for some reason.

Altiea
Aug 30, 2016, 07:52 AM
At a guess, Nova probably isn't considered canon.

We do have a costume from it at least (the chef robot in Franka's Cafe)

It's canon, though. Not like PSO2 ever brings it up.

I suppose you would look at the Perfect Visual Guide to get a clue. The only connection we have to Nova is Cycleon in Franka's Cafe, who's literally a palette swap of Hyperion from Nova. The Materials Collection did mention Nova... Once.

I want a Photon Fighters minigame.

Raujinn
Aug 30, 2016, 08:08 AM
If the official material barely even acknowledges it exists it's only barely canon really. Fuck, the anime is more solidly in the canon which is kinda sad.

Altiea
Aug 30, 2016, 08:12 AM
The problem is that Nova's plot is deliberately designed to be self-contained; the major plot element of the story cannot and will not exist outside of Machia.

Although that makes me think of a plot hole: What are Darkers doing there if there aren't any Photons, ignoring the fact that these Darkers have mutated to be weak to Gran?

Also, there are probably exactly two people on this forum who have delved a lot into Nova, one being myself. It's going to be hard finding people who know anything about it.

loafhero
Aug 30, 2016, 09:08 AM
If the official material barely even acknowledges it exists it's only barely canon really. Fuck, the anime is more solidly in the canon which is kinda sad.

Well, the anime was basically one overly long commercial for PSO2 EP4 but unlike regular commercials, its not as fun and creative. I really wish SEGA released a machinima tool to allow us to make our own cutscenes using the assets they normally use for cutscenes.

... sigh, the mere mention of the anime is like a trigger word here. Maybe we should put up warnings whenever we intend to mention the anime?

Meteor Weapon
Aug 30, 2016, 09:15 AM
We can't really avoid it because the whole anime thing is sorta connected to the whole EP4. Good thing Itsuki wasn't even one of the main focus of EP4 with only a slight mention.

Altiea
Aug 30, 2016, 09:34 AM
We can't really avoid it because the whole anime thing is sorta connected to the whole EP4. Good thing Itsuki wasn't even one of the main focus of EP4 with only a slight mention.

Not really, all you need to know is that Aika bottled up Apprentice in the last episode. That's really the only part of the anime that has had any lasting effect.

PokeminMaster
Aug 30, 2016, 09:46 AM
Is there a summary of Phantasy Star Nova's story online?

loafhero
Aug 30, 2016, 09:47 AM
Not really, all you need to know is that Aika bottled up Apprentice in the last episode. That's really the only part of the anime that has had any lasting effect.

Just her hair tips and nothing more than that thanks to Matoi and Dio Hunar.

Altiea
Aug 30, 2016, 09:38 PM
Is there a summary of Phantasy Star Nova's story online?

If it's any help, GameFAQs did a bit, ironically enough. (http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/730566-phantasy-star-nova/70877223)

One interesting thing I noted while sifting through this topic was that it was stated that the Gigantes were developed by Machia's natives to fight invaders who wielded Photons. Do all signs point to the Photoners as the root cause?

loafhero
Aug 30, 2016, 10:26 PM
One interesting thing I noted while sifting through this topic was that it was stated that the Gigantes were developed by Machia's natives to fight invaders who wielded Photons. Do all signs point to the Photoners as the root cause?

Being familiar enough with PSO2's story, if any bad or stupid shit happened in the past its always the Photoners that were responsible.

Meteor Weapon
Aug 30, 2016, 10:37 PM
Wow, now I find Nova's story writing more interesting than...whatever's going on in EP4(pardon for repeatedly saying that)

wahahaha
Aug 30, 2016, 10:48 PM
Wow, now I find Nova's story writing more interesting than...whatever's going on in EP4(pardon for repeatedly saying that)

Give EP4 more time Metheos, as you should know, there are phantom darkers coming in the next patches.

Zysets
Aug 30, 2016, 10:50 PM
Yeah, I've said it before, but Episode 4 is obviously just the beginning of something else, we still have no explanation for the "Falz like" shadow that originally attacked Hitsugi, so i imagine the Darkers and maybe a Falz are going to get involved again soon.

Meteor Weapon
Aug 30, 2016, 10:55 PM
Tbh, I know I've been judging too much on EP4 because of how the Anime sorta really got me salty over their story telling, I never had that problem when EP1-3 was around. I think it's also because how storyboard feels short for me and...the story content in each board isn't really that interesting to watch for me(watching an overused trope of what am i fighting for over and over is exhausting for me), but that's just me.

I just wanted more past characters to show up, I mean even Zeno didn't show up in the story board, though in the lobby conversation he did say that Mother Cluster's are probably a lot more cunning which makes them a lot harder to predict than Darker's attacking, because ARKS never did have to deal with another organisation other than Luther's tyranny.

Well I guess we'll just have to wait for Ether Darkers to show up to spice things up.

Altiea
Aug 30, 2016, 11:04 PM
Nova does get to the point a lot faster than PSO2, although that's probably because they have to cram an entire storyline into one package that takes about 10 hours to finish (and at least 100 more for everything else), compared to PSO2, which took three years to wrap up an arc.

One thing I love about Nova is that they take the time to make their characters feel real. The basic plot doesn't even cover the side plots for like, at least nine other characters and the DLC stories for Garnet and Sunspark.

One thing I don't like about Nova is that the writing is more blatantly biased towards a male lead than PSO2's writing. Seriously, you get a hot springs scene and Fildia's complaining about Nova Player-Chan being a peeping tom even if Player-chan is a girl.

Meteor Weapon
Aug 30, 2016, 11:22 PM
Reminds me that in PSO2, even Sukunahime and Matoi recognizes female mc when Sukunahime was jokingly asking whether female mc and Matoi are couples lol, Matoi denied but Sukunahime kept joking till Matoi got angry. That scene was hilarious.

Great Pan
Aug 31, 2016, 12:16 AM
Why revisit Makia? Ragol is 100 times better! Nostalgia wins, guys.

Meteor Weapon
Aug 31, 2016, 12:19 AM
Makia's story is concluded I guess...so there's that.

Altiea
Aug 31, 2016, 12:42 AM
Alter is still a thing, but it's never been brought up in PSO2. They're supposed to be the forefront of planet discovery, so it's a wonder why we don't hear about them more often.

Meteor Weapon
Aug 31, 2016, 01:00 AM
Forgive me but what's Alter again?

Altiea
Aug 31, 2016, 01:02 AM
Forgive me but what's Alter again?

Alter is the ARKS Special Planetary Exploration Division. They're the special ops group that Delta Valiant belongs to. My guess is that they're an offshoot of Oracle designed to handle what Oracle did in the past while the Research and Exploration Unit (us) handles the Darker problem.

loafhero
Aug 31, 2016, 01:12 AM
Reminds me that in PSO2, even Sukunahime and Matoi recognizes female mc when Sukunahime was jokingly asking whether female mc and Matoi are couples lol, Matoi denied but Sukunahime kept joking till Matoi got angry. That scene was hilarious.

I really appreciated that scene for how your choice in gender can slightly alter a conversation in cutscenes. We need more cutscenes like that that have that kind of "replay" value.

I certainly got a kick out of that scene like how in the female MC version, Sukunahime makes a speech about how "love lies in a person's mind, not their gender" and how Matoi is noticeably more defensive if teased of being a couple with a female MC but with a male MC, Matoi does a less convincing job of denying it and doesn't give that angry glare at Sukunahime (closeted much, Matoi?)

landman
Aug 31, 2016, 01:25 AM
I have Nove since launch, I'm still waiting for a translation to play it :wacko:

CocoCrispy
Aug 31, 2016, 01:38 PM
It'd be awesome if someone could do a super general write up of the story. I've had the game sitting on my shelf gathering dust for a while now, but I can't play it since I keep putting off buying a vita.

From what little I've seen and read about the game and story in general, it does seem like a very ambitious side story to the pso2verse. A shame it did so poorly in sales.

Meteor Weapon
Aug 31, 2016, 05:57 PM
I dunno but is 100k sales is considered poor sales in Japan? I've seen other games barely got to 20k sales these days unless they overprinted the game.

[Ayumi]
Aug 31, 2016, 06:57 PM
Well, the anime was basically one overly long commercial for PSO2 EP4 but unlike regular commercials, its not as fun and creative. I really wish SEGA released a machinima tool to allow us to make our own cutscenes using the assets they normally use for cutscenes.

... sigh, the mere mention of the anime is like a trigger word here. Maybe we should put up warnings whenever we intend to mention the anime?

If they did that, I would make cutscenes to make my head canon work.
That PSO2 is a direct sequel to PSO and PSU/PSP2/i

Altiea
Aug 31, 2016, 09:12 PM
It'd be awesome if someone could do a super general write up of the story. I've had the game sitting on my shelf gathering dust for a while now, but I can't play it since I keep putting off buying a vita.

From what little I've seen and read about the game and story in general, it does seem like a very ambitious side story to the pso2verse. A shame it did so poorly in sales.

Find a PSTV. Since they're out of production, you can find one for the price of a normal video game.

Zysets
Aug 31, 2016, 09:14 PM
I really appreciated that scene for how your choice in gender can slightly alter a conversation in cutscenes. We need more cutscenes like that that have that kind of "replay" value.

I certainly got a kick out of that scene like how in the female MC version, Sukunahime makes a speech about how "love lies in a person's mind, not their gender" and how Matoi is noticeably more defensive if teased of being a couple with a female MC but with a male MC, Matoi does a less convincing job of denying it and doesn't give that angry glare at Sukunahime (closeted much, Matoi?)

That scene was the one that made me like Sukunahime, I really got the impression of how mischievous she could be. Plus the "Love is in the mind" line is a nice touch.

ZerotakerZX
Sep 3, 2016, 12:10 PM
I think PSNova is a pretty cool guy. Fight Gigantis and doesnt afraid of anything.

Anyhow, my understanding if its plot is purely intutional. Did somebody cleared the game while being able read lunar tongue?

I really want to know about Juna's and Gigantis origins and also why [SPOILER-BOX]raven became such a dick[/SPOILER-BOX]
Yes, and now I'm also upset about no collabs and whatnot in PSO2. At least Nova's control scheme made to the game, its superb.

Altiea
Sep 3, 2016, 12:15 PM
There was the one item code to get some of Nova's outfits in PSO2. Although I bought the Chinese version because of location issues, so my code is useless everywhere except PSO2tw.

ZerotakerZX
Sep 4, 2016, 12:34 AM
There was the one item code to get some of Nova's outfits in PSO2. Although I bought the Chinese version because of location issues, so my code is useless everywhere except PSO2tw.
Sad to hear. As for the story: I take you understood it as vaguely as I did.

Altiea
Sep 4, 2016, 11:08 AM
Sad to hear. As for the story: I take you understood it as vaguely as I did.

Pretty much, until I read the GameFAQs topic. Although since I have the Chinese version, I'm hoping I can find someone who can read it, since Chinese seems to be a more abundant language around my area.

It says that the Gigantes were developed as anti-Photon weapons to fight against invaders that are in all likelihood the Photoners.

ZerotakerZX
Sep 5, 2016, 12:15 AM
Pretty much, until I read the GameFAQs topic. Although since I have the Chinese version, I'm hoping I can find someone who can read it, since Chinese seems to be a more abundant language around my area.

It says that the Gigantes were developed as anti-Photon weapons to fight against invaders that are in all likelihood the Photoners.
Heh, what a twist, Thanks for the intel

lostinseganet
Sep 6, 2016, 10:49 AM

That is a great suggestion

Altiea
Sep 20, 2016, 07:15 PM
NECROBUMPINGGGGGGG

https://m.reddit.com/r/PSO2/comments/53ca9k/phantasy_star_nova_translation_confirmed_in/

In case anyone cares, AIDA announced that the Nova translation project is officially underway.

loafhero
Sep 20, 2016, 07:52 PM
Nice. I've been interested in the game's story for a while now so its great to hear that AIDA is working on the translations.

CocoCrispy
Sep 23, 2016, 03:59 AM
Find a PSTV. Since they're out of production, you can find one for the price of a normal video game.

Epically late reply is epic, but I was actually considering doing just that. I just put it off every time because lazy and forgetful. Believe me though it'll happen some day!

Also hooray Aida for stepping up and getting a team together to translate this thing!