PDA

View Full Version : More 13s -- Yay or Nay?

Altiea
Sep 4, 2016, 09:30 PM
Go go oversaturation!

So, a year ago, 13* weapons came out, and they were the best of the best. They power creeped 12s to the point where you can now buy them, and having one was a sign of either good luck or hard work. Thus is because they were kind of hard to get, requiring you to play a lot of endgame content to either farm for their materials or just get lucky. Fast forward to today, and 13s are now flying all over the place; there's at least one new 13 for every weapon class coming out every other update, and with Collect File, having a 13 is simply a matter of farming the enemies you need until you complete a Sheet. So with that in mind,

Is there too much focus on adding new 13* weaponry?

Zysets
Sep 4, 2016, 09:47 PM
I'd prefer if they came out with less 13*s over a period of time. I'm okay with collection files as they are, I think of them like a "early bird" bonus where you can get a hold of new gear quickly for a limited time before they become random drops, but having too many available 13*s makes finding one or completing a file feel less special. I wouldn't mind if they came out with more 12*s instead, at least to keep the special feeling of getting your super high rarity weapon.

On the other hand, Austeres still, and hopefully always, will take effort to get, same with a lot of the older 13*s, so getting those still feels like honest hard work.

otakun
Sep 4, 2016, 09:47 PM
There is definitely an over saturation but we are in a time where not having a 13* in general meant you were a noob and that was before the collection sheets. Now its more akin to the fact that there is no reason someone of XH level should have a means of getting one if they tried.

final_attack
Sep 4, 2016, 09:56 PM
Would like to be able to trade ☆13....... with this many ☆13weapon available and current system now.
That 10 element difference and higher raw attack ☆13 had over ☆12 gave them advantage indeed ;w;

At least for some who's busy doing things irl, they can just skip the grind part, and can just go straight upgrading their current weapon.

No need to waste too much time to catch up ..... so, less casual and busy people irl can have relatively strong character then they can play together with higher level ones.

AnikaSteinberg
Sep 4, 2016, 10:10 PM
Being a main Te, the significantly broad 13* acquisition options that we have now makes for faster and more convenient (and even more casual/laid back) ways for me to easily complete my 13* rainbow wand set (no, Wand E. Change won't replace my precious and beloved Tech C, Parry anytime soon).

So, I give a completely biased "No", this "too much focus on adding new 13*" trend is quite beneficial for me to even miss :D
(Plus, there are also a few game-changing 13*s (http://pso2.swiki.jp/index.php?%E3%83%95%E3%82%A9%E3%83%BC%E3%83%A0%E3% 82%B5%E3%82%A4%E3%82%B9)that come out every now and then, so it's always a nice addition)

(as for my other chars however....)

oratank
Sep 4, 2016, 10:53 PM
Yay for rainbow 13* plus need more em rappy

elryan
Sep 4, 2016, 11:01 PM
Yes, more 13*.

Austere Katana and Orbit TMG were stupidly long farm. Thank God those were done.

Aura DB is cool looking and with pleasing potential / ATK.

Form Scythe / Wand was pleasing to use and the farm wasn't that bad via Riding Quest. Fun stuffs.

I still haven't found a 13* Gunslash that's worth using but without the hardcore farm involved like Orbit / Austere.

Shadowstarkirby
Sep 4, 2016, 11:53 PM
I'm quite tired of 13*s to be honest because these days, I get so many that they end up just sitting in my storage not being useful for anything. I can't sell them for money (understandably so), can't trade them, can't exchange them for stones, and using them to grind weapon elements for 13*s I want to use is prohibitively expensive.

I'd honestly would like for there to be a brand new clean slate of 14* weapons instead of more 13*s so SEGA can make more varied potentials that isn't just damage and PP boosts that seem to be slapped onto almost every 13*. Looking at the weapons in the past, they had all these different quirks and uses, but now everything has to have a damage boost or people won't give it the time of day. The recent Form series is a prime example of a series that I feel would fit right into my vision of 14*s. Then 15*s with the combined traits of 13*s and 14*s could be the final tier of ultimate weapons of some sort for whenever the hell a new difficulty is added.

ZerotakerZX
Sep 5, 2016, 12:14 AM
I have more 13 than I can carry, so no, I don't care about farming and won't start doing it again until 14*, and if only they'll be REALLY useful, since this game is already absurdly easy.

FOnewearl-Lina
Sep 5, 2016, 01:47 AM
I asked a horse, and this is what it had to say:

[SPOILER-BOX]NEIGH![/SPOILER-BOX]

Cyber Meteor
Sep 5, 2016, 02:16 AM
And somewhere, 2-head Ragnus, Chainsawd, Paratizel, and other 12* UQ weapons are still waiting for their Photon booster potential making them on par with 13*s xD; like it's been since february they haven't added any boosters potent. I would be more for that atm than more 13*s

Evangelion X.XX
Sep 5, 2016, 02:22 AM
Yes, I think there's too much focus on adding 13* weapons; to me, that's a cheap and lazy way to give people an incentive to play rather than adding meaningful/worthy/fun content.

Edit:

Honestly, I think there should always be some kind of limited quest around (or in rotation, or something); it gives me something to do when there's absolutely nothing to do (besides UQs, which there are scarcely anyone anymore).

Or maybe a new Challenge Mode?

TyroneSama
Sep 5, 2016, 02:23 AM
They're trying really hard to add lateral gear, but forgot that there isn't actually any lateral content.

Dammy
Sep 5, 2016, 02:34 AM
they adding too much 13* because 14* are on the way ( probably amduscia ult )
they did same with 11* and 12*

Evangelion X.XX
Sep 5, 2016, 02:39 AM
If they do indeed add 14*'s, then they better add content that warrants its implementation.

IchijinKali
Sep 5, 2016, 05:09 AM
I would say my problem with the 13* is the whole new one every couple of months. The potentials get slightly better and because of the ease of collection files people pretty much expect you to upgrade everytime.

You just finished grinding and affixing your Rev? Thats nice how about Tagami? It is like your Rev except they increase damage based on your gear gauge and increase pp recovery, also it is slightly stronger by TWO PERCENT.

You finished your Tagami? Nice. How about you try out Ray? it is like your Tagami except no reliance on gear gauge to get that potential? Well how about a reduction in pp cost? How about a reduction in damage taken?

When a new collection file is announced the first thing that pops into my mind is 'can I ignore it?'. Which I'm quite sad that it is the first thought that comes to mind.

starwind75043
Sep 5, 2016, 05:15 AM
I would not mind these new weapons. If they would let us sell them at least

TheFanaticViper
Sep 5, 2016, 05:21 AM
they adding too much 13* because 14* are on the way ( probably amduscia ult )

For amduscia ult, i hope it will not be that : Ares NT collection file!

Zephyrion
Sep 5, 2016, 05:31 AM
I honestly don't mind the shower of *13, it's easy to pick one and skip the others at the end of the day, aside from a very few weapons, the balance between *13 is still kept and most of them are pretty much at the same level, while giving both casual and veteran a chance to get these weapons

Also about the complaint about content, Sega did mention that they were planning to add harder/challenging stuff : we have a new TA, Ult amdu of course, new solo XQ and content yet to be revealed. So while these *13 feel overkill for the time being, hopefully, they'll find meaning in the future updates and allow everyone to enjoy that kind of content (although it's too early to tell it's SEGA we're talking about after all xD)

D-Inferno
Sep 5, 2016, 09:39 AM
I think we'll get 14*s with Ultimate Amduscia; to add a new Ultimate quest for a new episode after 1.5 years only for there to be no 14*s would be pretty dumb. I feel that new 13*s will slow down, but they won't be useless right away, as simply obtaining a 14* may be trickier than we think. I think they'll require Dio Grinders, and I doubt a Lamba -> Dio exchange will happen. We should know during the TGS stream next week (not announced, but it will probably happen).

Keilyn
Sep 5, 2016, 09:48 AM
I honestly think that far too many weapons exist and it seems their answer is to simply add more...

Masu
Sep 5, 2016, 10:54 AM
Tbh I'm often more interested by some 12* req for a 13* CF. Working on Blitz Fender. Actually collecting my last NirenDB while I don't give a fuck for Ray DB as I already have better 13* ones (Orbit & Scn). Edel Arrow on the way too. Then I'll go for Lavis TD because I always wanted them. So, yay IF more interesting hard to get (without buying) 12* with hidden pot.
Also Maihime Kaougi when?

Fusionxglave
Sep 5, 2016, 11:44 AM
Next thing you know we be complaining about 14 stars lol
but in all due. have more 13 stars just the game is progress very nicely. You guys have or do at least have notion that 13 stars need to be introduce to keep players entertain but main to move the game towards the end of of its chapters. The very endgame weapons are gonna be 15 stars or 16 stars. Yes there maybe 16 in the endgame, Maybe. I based this on other Phantasy star games and designed.

I do think that with 13 stars there needs to be atleast better potential. I mean 8% damage is not really that good looking. when you used to have potential like 20% to every dragonkin. or pp reaches to 50% you get 300 atk power. we need better potential for all endgame weapons. I"m not saying overpowered just enough to make it look good. Like orbital. That is literally one of the best 13 stars I have ever seen.
Freaken healing pp like crazy and damage is good.

anyway don't be too bum out about 13 stars because there are going to be better weapons soon
also Yes more 13 stars more varieties, and more stuff to get and grind.

Keilyn
Sep 5, 2016, 12:02 PM
All I want is a 13* Gunslash that also has T-ATK on it and a decent potential....

The day that happens.... I will be getting a rainbow set of them at 60%... hell... a 14* one would be fine ;P

pkemr4
Sep 5, 2016, 01:12 PM
i see the new 13*'s as more fodder for austere

NephyrisX
Sep 5, 2016, 07:28 PM
At the very least these new 13* gives new guys less of a reason not to have them.

Tunga
Sep 5, 2016, 07:47 PM
13*s have never been easier to get now and yet we still get stuff like this...
This was from a XHTD3 taken a few days ago mind you. You do not want to know how badly it went...

Selphea
Sep 5, 2016, 08:04 PM
We need welfare 13* to ensure new players don't get left behind if they want to introduce a gear check for certain blocks down the road.

Anyway I'm happy enough that i get to finally make rainbow 13* DBs and gear the classes i don't care so much about.

They really caused the problem themselves by having such a large gap between 13* and 12* though. Killed gear diversity which they now need to scramble to bring back. But i think they were experimenting with how to handle power creep. Before 13*, people barely had 12* because they were too rare and the power gain too small.

I'm sure there will be Extra Hard Gay difficulty balanced around 13* in due time and we get to complain about killing 1000 Yuga Angas with no 14* Ares NT all over again.

Enforcer MKV
Sep 5, 2016, 08:18 PM
Do I think there are too many 13*s in the game? Absolutely. For all the fuss, there isn't really much variety to them, outside of their potentials and even then, most are considered useless or not worth it. Really, they could focus on adding less stuff, but make the stuff they add feel more interesting and unique, and put in more side-grades and lateral progression instead of just "Oh, what's the potential? Eh, it's shit, it's not worth anything."

It's not going to happen, but it's nice to dream. Especially given the overall setup of the game. Doesn't cater towards that at all.

Xaelouse
Sep 5, 2016, 09:23 PM
I doubt 14*s will be as giant of a leap as between Ares and 12* two years ago. The last thing this game needs is more power creep. Enemies still need more HP though

Zephyrion
Sep 6, 2016, 02:10 AM
Don't forget that *13 feel omnipresent only because of files, and files are seasonal, so every player that didn't log in often in X seasons because bored of the game, irl issues or whatev, now has to drop them the old-fashioned way (good luck finding a tagami, dropping the rigtht revo, finding a weapon from absent EQ Yamato, or get a parallel Odin to show up and get Aura). Sure if you were there and had time to get your weaps to +max ele each time, it's redundant, but if not, you wouldn't mind having a *13 for 2% less damage f you have access to it

I also feel that the shower of new weapons is nothing new,. It's just that files didn't make them as much of a super rare thing as it used to be, and NT grind made grinding several *13 more than a fleeting dream if you didn't have a shitton of lambdas/mesetas sitting in storage. but just look at that
previous year : Gal, Skull, Nemesis, Slave, Ares,Ideal, Austere, Orbit
current year :Tokyo Revolucio, Tagami, Yamato, Xie, Ray, Aura, Vegas and a few extras like Jet washer.
so the shower of *13 is nothing new,, and there are still less of them than *12 or *11. If anything, it feels that way since as it was said earlier, so far the potentials haven't been very unique for the most part, except for a few weapons (D.A.I.S,Form and Sterk only come to mind and they aren't even that exceptional)

To sum up a uselessly long post, I think that *13 feel too numerous only because they've been there for 2 years now, most of them haven't anything to distinguish them from one another ( unlike * 12 potentials) and that files + eggs + relaxed (very relaxed) drop rates don't make us feel as hyped up then a *13 pops up compared to when they were introduced ( going down the same road as their *11 and 12 predecessors), but the actual number of available *13 is not THAT big, clearly

Zorak000
Sep 6, 2016, 10:22 AM
I mean it feels like if a new area comes out and it doesn't have any up-to-par equipment, or at least decent utility equipment, then what's the point really.

could still use a few more 12* weapons, I think you can still only put Ultimate Buster on sub-13* equipment, and some 12*s with that extra 10% damage on them really tear up ultimate quests; which will at the very least be somewhat relevant again mid-october

Pyrei
Sep 6, 2016, 08:24 PM
To be honest, while I like the huge number of 13*s flooding the game as it makes the weaker players stronger which makes the general avg higher, I dislike how they are generally handling them, as most just have a dmg boost on them paired with something, you can look at 11*s and 12*s and see creativity in the potentials for these, but 13*s don't seem to have that due to the whole thing of these weapons having to belong to some series of them where the pot is shared between the series. as for ult amd, what players REALLY NEED is a sheet with a set of 3 units that don't pair with any weapon that give as a set bonus 20pp or more, 200hp or more, 60 s/r/t atk or more, and 60 s/r/t def or more. saiki units have over stayed their welcome as the best general set and austere units aren't my idea of a better unit set I mean sure theyre better defensively but offensively theyre lacking imo

Keilyn
Sep 6, 2016, 09:04 PM
Classes have thresholds they must pass in order to actually be good. New weapons will allow those classes to reach those thresholds and finally go beyond those thresholds. However, by the time that happens, classes that have already gone beyond the threshold will just become a lot more powerful to retain their dominance. In other words, we can have all the 13* - 16* weapons we want. Until this game is rebalanced, dominance will be retained by any class already beyond that threshold BEFORE new weapons arrive.

Zysets
Sep 6, 2016, 10:29 PM
Assuming you're replying to Pyrei, I don't think they meant in the context of a class's power, but instead the players themselves. Even the most OP class would be garbage if the player doesn't have proper equipment or ability, and they're saying that having easier access to stronger equipment can at least help balance that out somewhat if the players try to get a hold of those weapons, so at least they're not performing at a the most basic level.

But you do have a point, regardless of how strong new weapons are, that doesn't change the fact that some classes are just natural "better" (using better loosely here) than others.

I do agree with the idea of making it easier to get better units though, I find units to be lacking in more people than weapons, and anything that helps newer players get up to speed is appreciated, at least to make everyone's lives easier.

Altiea
Sep 6, 2016, 11:42 PM
The problem with Units is that there is very little Unit variety. They basically exist to give you stats and Set Bonuses. When someone asks what the best Units are, everyone says "Saiki wins" unless you have Kaiser/Orbit or Austere/Orbit. They would either need to nerf Saiki to make it less of "the only good Unit set" or just rework Units to not make them affix sticks.

Zysets
Sep 6, 2016, 11:57 PM
Maybe some people will give me a hard time for this, but I never felt like I should use the Saiki set. I use the Double Set and the Magatsuhi for the HP boost and have PP and S-Atk affixes on all three to balance things out. I find having some extra HP much more useful, especially when using Limit Break. On top of that PP is rarely an issue for me, especially now that they have the TD Air Chase ring (I like to use Daggers the most). Regular attacks combined with the skill ring help keep me up in the air and take full advantage of TD Gear, and using those regular attacks helps regenerate PP as needed as they hit things.

That's moving off topic though, I think a Unit collection file should be a newer set that isn't "the best", but average, something to get people started on finding what they need, not something to give them whatever the"best" is right away.

Pyrei
Sep 7, 2016, 12:54 AM
there's more to what this game is than just power, while power is a big part of this game, things like te/br and te/hu have become popular not due to their own power but due to support and mob controlling abilities. things like braver have also become popular due to speed, the ability to reach a target faster is really strong in a lot of cases. and ranger has always been wanted due to WB weakening a target considerably. even hunter is popular due to the fact hunters (should) last longer than anyone else within the mpa, so theyre there to revive others should things go bad suddenly (hopefully sega will make content that needs this later but not counting on it since its been 4 years and still don't really need it)

ohmy
Sep 7, 2016, 02:54 AM
We need less 13*, less rares in general. At the moment Sega is throwing a flood of easy rewards at us and it's just lame, the rewards lose their meaning because they are too common and too small.
It has the opposite effect of what Sega intends and instead makes the game yet more boring.

Since people worked hard for Austere, Sega is scared to piss them off by adding stronger gear, so nothing competes except a few of the later added weapons being the same or marginally stronger.
Mainly new weapons are simply easier to get and to grind than old stuff.

Rares in general are not remotely rare, some EQs can drop near 100 rares, half cubes and half junk but still makes them feel worthless, the game becomes simple math, did I get enough cubes this run? Does this EQ drop enough stuff to make it worth playing? Nothing exciting about it and no real incentive left.

Sega needs to do quality over quantity. And they need to make newer weapons stronger than what we had before or at least give them useful potentials like Orbit so there is a real reason to get them and not just out of boredom.

Altiea
Sep 7, 2016, 02:59 AM
Maybe some people will give me a hard time for this, but I never felt like I should use the Saiki set. I use the Double Set and the Magatsuhi for the HP boost and have PP and S-Atk affixes on all three to balance things out. I find having some extra HP much more useful, especially when using Limit Break. On top of that PP is rarely an issue for me, especially now that they have the TD Air Chase ring (I like to use Daggers the most). Regular attacks combined with the skill ring help keep me up in the air and take full advantage of TD Gear, and using those regular attacks helps regenerate PP as needed as they hit things.

That's moving off topic though, I think a Unit collection file should be a newer set that isn't "the best", but average, something to get people started on finding what they need, not something to give them whatever the"best" is right away.

That's totally fine; having Units to suit your needs is actually good Unit variety. It just happens that "BURST HARDER" means "GET MORE PP", which Saiki does, and since the entirety of this game's balance is centered around "BURST HARDER", "GET MORE PP" is the most common build aside from "GET MORE ATK".

Loveless62
Sep 7, 2016, 11:24 AM
I am quite frankly shocked at how easy it is to get 13*s now. In particular, the ones handed out from Kid, Silvia, Karen, and Ethan are ridiculous. The Daggers of Seraphi CO only requires three runs of SH Harkotan TA (plus hunting down like two more darkers on SH difficulty) ! God Hand and Astral Riser only require a single run of an appropriate SHAQ for natives or for mechs.

Sure, they only come with 15% on them, but you can get another copy of the weapon after only waiting a couple of days.

I don't remember getting this much help when 12*s were the top of the line, but maybe it's just me.

Zysets
Sep 7, 2016, 11:48 AM
I said it in my original reply, but after the NPCs are gone, they become random drops like everything else. So really, if someone doesn't take advantage of the NPC quests, they'll have a horrible time trying to get those. I see it more as an early bird bonus for having logged in to play than a simple hand out.
Imagine you just happen to take a break when a certain 13* you could use is available, so when you come back you have to grind endlessly trying to get that drop? That would suck.

Loveless62
Sep 7, 2016, 12:25 PM
I said it in my original reply, but after the NPCs are gone, they become random drops like everything else. So really, if someone doesn't take advantage of the NPC quests, they'll have a horrible time trying to get those. I see it more as an early bird bonus for having logged in to play than a simple hand out.
Imagine you just happen to take a break when a certain 13* you could use is available, so when you come back you have to grind endlessly trying to get that drop? That would suck.
I get that it's only for a limited time, but come on! After you walk Ethan and Karen through four quests (which you can do on Normal difficulty IIRC), you can then pick up a 13* weapon from a repeatable CO that takes less than a half-hour of work!