PDA

View Full Version : Who is Nyau?

Minun172
Sep 8, 2016, 07:00 AM
Nyau is the selling point of PSO2 for me. I love him dearly because of that. But why is he hostile? In the exploration quests, Nyau will at rare ocassions challenge you in different sorts of costumes. He's a fairly weak opponent and he seems to enjoy what he does, but when defeated he will cry for help making you feel guilty like he was just playing around. So what's going on with Nyau? Is he evil? Or is he just having fun and we're just ruining it by playing too rough with him?

Shinamori
Sep 8, 2016, 07:30 AM
Nyau is an enemy that's based of an old character called Myau (http://phantasystar.wikia.com/wiki/Myau) from Phantasy Star.

FantasyHeaven
Sep 8, 2016, 08:48 AM
Nyaua is a piece of shit created to waste booster times

IchijinKali
Sep 8, 2016, 08:53 AM
Nyau is the selling point of PSO2 for me.

HOW?!?!?! It is a dumb cat thing that even the operators get annoyed when it shows its face.

Loveless62
Sep 8, 2016, 09:26 AM
Nyau is supposed to be a cute character that is designed to act like an immature brat. He acts tough like he can beat you, but when you disarm him by breaking his weapon, he throws a tantrum and calls for another enemy to beat you up while he goes and hides.

Also pay attention to how he acts during Black Nyack. He rubs it in when you lose and get upsets when you beat him. He also often goes YOLO when he is already winning by taking another card, hoping for an awesome hand. If he acted more mature, he would stay with the sure win (or stick to Black Jack dealer rules even when he isn't winning).

Tunga
Sep 8, 2016, 09:39 AM
He's a rodent that needs to be exterminated.

Keilyn
Sep 8, 2016, 09:45 AM
Nyau is funny,,,
Most of us just stand still when Nyau appears and then he trips and drops his weapon.

[Ayumi]
Sep 8, 2016, 09:56 AM
Nyau is what you get when stupid idiots that don't understand how to deal with crap take an old character and botch it to hell.
While the main files still call it Myau, Sega knew very well to just call it Nyau to not soil the Myau character.

Nyau is a time waster and a huge annoyance. Having to wait to break this little fool's weapon and then still wait to see if he even spawns a boss worthwhile.

Zysets
Sep 8, 2016, 10:38 AM
I don't like Nyau, but I honestly never realized how brutal people's hate was. He's annoying, but beating him is really easy so I just kind of do it and get it done.

Myau is still the superior character though, I'm "ploud" (http://67.media.tumblr.com/39e97885b55162a1435cb7ad74933006/tumblr_obok7fP2Od1rpuwjio1_1280.png) to have played the original Phantasy Star.

Saffran
Sep 8, 2016, 10:52 AM
I always feel bad when Nyau appears, it's just straight up bullying to break his beloved toy/weapon. I think I complain about it to Sega just about every season. I take it I'm the only one?

Selphea
Sep 8, 2016, 10:54 AM
I just ignore it unless it's that one Level Up Quest where nothing but Nyau spawns or something, then I ignore the entire quest altogether :wacko:

yoshiblue
Sep 8, 2016, 10:56 AM
Would be nice if there was a passive option to take care of him. Otherwise he's more or less that sidekick kid that wants to be the hero and keeps getting in the way. Or picks a fight with you for no reason.

MaeIstrom
Sep 8, 2016, 11:10 AM
I am the only who like him?

KlTSUNE
Sep 8, 2016, 11:14 AM
Dark Falz

Ziel
Sep 8, 2016, 11:24 AM
Fuq that squirrelcat thing and its trolling on blackjack, also fuq its boosting time wasting appearances; i always "kill it with fire" with flame bullet just to be sure :c

Tunga
Sep 8, 2016, 11:25 AM
it's just straight up bullying to break his beloved toy/weapon

Can't call it bullying if the first thing he does when spawning is to try and beat you up.

JCry
Sep 8, 2016, 12:53 PM
Was Tagami Kazuchi in any previous Phantasy Stars or Is he just a mob phantasy star team created from scratch?

Zysets
Sep 8, 2016, 02:09 PM
Tagami is PSO2 only as far as I know, I don't remember it showing up in any other games.

yoshiblue
Sep 8, 2016, 02:13 PM
Because of how it looks, I feel that Tagami may have been made during the development stages of the game and they really wanted to keep it, or someone designed it on their spare time and pitched it after completion.

elryan
Sep 8, 2016, 02:30 PM
Nyau is what happens when you gets high then you proceed to work on PSO2 character design.

But he's amusing and I like him so I don't mind.

Minun172
Sep 8, 2016, 03:15 PM
A lot of hate here. So Nyau was basically added for no reason, is a horrible character, and has no purpose but to butcher a classic character I have no idea of.
I had suspicions that he was just a troll and nothing more. I guess I could still like him because he got me into PSO2 for the same reasons that Montblanc got me into Final Fantasy. And he's cute looking. I can't resist cute. Hearing that he's a mere troll makes me a little sad inside too. I expected a likable anthropromorphic character to join a crew of humans much like Square Enix's moogles.

Minun172
Sep 8, 2016, 03:26 PM
I always feel bad when Nyau appears, it's just straight up bullying to break his beloved toy/weapon. I think I complain about it to Sega just about every season. I take it I'm the only one?

I wish he would join you. Let's say, there's a random chance he would get pissed and find something else to kill if you just sit there, believing that you'll help him find something to kill, he joins you.

n_n
Sep 8, 2016, 03:44 PM
Pretty much this, lol.

Batty
Sep 8, 2016, 04:01 PM
I think hes anoying yeah, but cute xD (if my character in my signature below and self made fanart of it arent clear enough) i was looking foward to see him in the anime

Minun172
Sep 8, 2016, 04:19 PM
I think hes anoying yeah, but cute xD (if my character in my signature below and self made fanart of it arent clear enough) i was looking foward to see him in the anime

Just wondering, is the PSO2 anime in English?

Pyrei
Sep 8, 2016, 04:29 PM
Nyau is funny,,,
Most of us just stand still when Nyau appears and then he trips and drops his weapon.

only the smart ones do this... there's still a bunch that try to kill it.... (knowing full well that nyau resists all attacks, and his HP on XH must be really high)

Zysets
Sep 8, 2016, 04:33 PM
I'll attack him just for the sake of doing something until he trips over, I know it doesn't make any difference though.

MaeIstrom
Sep 8, 2016, 04:34 PM

Does he appear in the anime?

Pyrei
Sep 8, 2016, 04:49 PM
Does he appear in the anime?

the anime doesn't even cover half of pso2... but no he really doesn't appear in the anime

ArcaneTechs
Sep 8, 2016, 04:51 PM

absolutely the only way to feel about him

Batty
Sep 8, 2016, 05:17 PM
he doesnt appear in the anime, the anime is just a story that happened in the year that our character was in sleep after EP3 and before EP4

ZER0 DX
Sep 8, 2016, 08:13 PM
Nyau is alright in my book, he dropped me that 13* Partizan on the first Luna Nyau I ran into after all. Plus he makes a good accessory as a shoulder 'mon.

I'm more curious how he can wildly change his physical appearance so much every holiday, especially with the Sonic variant. Either there's more than one or that constant dimension hopping he does has some drastic side effects.

PrinceBrightstar
Sep 8, 2016, 08:35 PM
Nyau is kind of based on but really doesn't fit the original Myau. For instance the original wasn't able to open the bottle around it's neck. This one has hands. The original below didn't.

https://www.radiosega.net/uploads/swordofsega/Myau.png

Also SoniNyau is KILL IT WITH FIRE!

http://oi58.tinypic.com/osv7mx.jpg

loafhero
Sep 8, 2016, 08:53 PM
There are two kinds of cuteness: there is the adorable kind that makes you want to protect it and shower it with love, and then there is the kind that makes you want to strangle it to death...

Nyau, is the latter. Nyau has all the traits of what I despise in anime talking animal mascots. A speech tone that sounds too "gimmicky" and forced, a weird and annoying suffix they continuously add at the end of their sentences (Nyau uses "-nyau"), an overall design that lacks in simplicity and ends up coming off as creepy, and a mostly unlikable personality.

Thankfully, Nyau is acknowledged as being hated in-universe too as the normally professional Operators are unable to hold back from commenting on how annoying he is.

silo1991
Sep 8, 2016, 09:07 PM
dont blame him he just want a main role again :P

Tunga
Sep 8, 2016, 09:22 PM
[/IMG]

Also SoniNyau is KILL IT WITH FIRE!

http://oi58.tinypic.com/osv7mx.jpg

This is pretty much at the same level as this

[Ayumi]
Sep 8, 2016, 11:12 PM
I could never get into how Nyau looks either.
I'm a cat fan, and I think Nyau might be the only thing that's cat related I just can't sta....
Wait... I forgot catgirls was a thing...
Okay he's the 2nd cat thing related I loathe.

Squall179
Sep 9, 2016, 01:59 AM
I think he might be related to Q from Star Trek, actually, only with a fondness for swinging things around more than warping reality.

That said, I actually like him. I can understand the reasoning behind why people get so hateful, a mixture of thematic, design, and gameplay issues, but still.... Maybe I'm just willing to look past that.

Sara-hime
Sep 9, 2016, 10:03 AM
This is pretty much at the same level as this

Oh god! I can't believe I had the creator of that....thing, as a PSN friend at one point @_@

Nyau is taking what would be a classic mascot character and...making it a reject Sonic character. I'm actually...quite indifferent to him...and I find the other mystical creatures that pop up in PSO2, be it Rappy, Umbra or Tagami, to be some what interesting in one way or another. At least they had the sense to name him Nyau and not Myau. That would simply be unforgivable. He's alright as an accessory though, like the other animals.

Zysets
Sep 9, 2016, 10:36 AM
I don't know why they didn't just make him four legged instead of a biped, and made it so he uses techs instead of a sword. That would be more accurate, and may answer the issue of the creepy design.
God, looking at him makes me uncomfortable.

Squall179
Sep 9, 2016, 02:44 PM
I don't know why they didn't just make him four legged instead of a biped, and made it so he uses techs instead of a sword. That would be more accurate, and may answer the issue of the creepy design.
God, looking at him makes me uncomfortable.

Like....this!?

http://blog-imgs-56.fc2.com/1/1/4/114514364364/WS000008_20141021212727270.jpg
http://www.bumped.org/psublog/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Sakura-Nyau.jpg
http://www.bumped.org/psublog/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Nyau-The-Cat-508x285.jpg
http://i0.wp.com/www.bumped.org/psublog/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Toro-Kuro-Nyau.jpg

*Evil laughter from the darkness*

Batty
Sep 9, 2016, 03:09 PM
or atleast with a cool personality, like, Sonic the hedgehog style cool. thats how i like to rplay my nyau suit character, like a no fooling around nyau cousin of the other nyaus xD (here´s the full pic of my signature, my nyau suit WL character with the *十束剣 weapon camo )

http://orig08.deviantart.net/9ff2/f/2016/133/d/e/lightning_beast_nyau_by_dragonjuno-da2d8as.jpg

Zysets
Sep 9, 2016, 03:43 PM
There's lots of Musk Cats in the original Phantasy Star series, so I wonder if Myau is just another Musk Cat from that universe. He's the weird one that happens to walk on two legs.

Minun172
Sep 9, 2016, 04:02 PM
Not sure if it's just that I am used to anthropromorphic creatures but I don't find him creepy at all. Far from it...

Fusionxglave
Sep 9, 2016, 10:09 PM
I like Nyau too. I find him to be very important to Phantasy Star. I really think Nyau is cool with the tail and ears and fur. I only think its the bosses summoning that everyone hates. I mean If Nyau just suddenly give you really drops then the opinions would change very quickly.

If i'm not mistaken Lillipians do not do anything other than that quest where they get trapped.
Rappies you have to wait for them to recover and no bosses for sure.

If you asked a Japanese group about Nyau I think you have more of a favorable responds. Sometimes on this forum we like to be blunt and trust me we complained about the smallest stuff around here but we still like to talk and have fun.

Also A follow question why do you guys like Rappies or Lippians.

loafhero
Sep 9, 2016, 10:16 PM
Nyau belongs in a Five Nights at Freddy's game.

Zysets
Sep 9, 2016, 11:39 PM
Also A follow question why do you guys like Rappies or Lippians.

I don't really like Lilipans, but as a fan of Phantasy Star since PSOv2 on Dreamcast (and as someone who played all the classic games and spinoffs), I find that Rappies represent the series as a whole enough for me to have a hard time NOT liking them. They're like the moogles or chocobos from Final Fantasy, it'd be weird for a game to not to have them around.

Plus who actually waits to hit them the second time anymore? I usually just let them run off nowadays, I don't lose anything.

Fusionxglave
Sep 9, 2016, 11:52 PM
Yeah you are right rappies do hold a huge part for PSO2 and it is like you cant hate them for standing there and singing.

Daemyn
Sep 10, 2016, 12:00 AM
I'm an old dead member who hasn't player pso2 in hmm a while but.
I'm a huge fan of Nyau.
If I still played PSO2 actively I would want to start a Nyau worshiping cult :3

But right now I gotta wipe his tears :(
Now I'mma go hide for another year.

Minun172
Sep 10, 2016, 08:36 PM
I'm an old dead member who hasn't player pso2 in hmm a while but.
I'm a huge fan of Nyau.
If I still played PSO2 actively I would want to start a Nyau worshiping cult :3

But right now I gotta wipe his tears :(
Now I'mma go hide for another year.

I'd let him stay in my home and take good care of him. But it seems like he's already owned by Persona.

lostinseganet
Sep 12, 2016, 05:42 PM
Nyau is the joke character for epsoide 3
1: Rappy
2: Lilipa
3: Nyau
4: The kid who lost his memory >_>