PDA

View Full Version : Do you guys think PSO2 will get a PS4 "pro" update?

Squal_FFVIII
Sep 13, 2016, 06:31 PM
I would hope so. Though I do enjoy pso2 on my ps4 the console clearly struggles with the game. For example the same PC lobby stutter is there, but whenever I go to a full block the frame rate takes a huge dive. It get very "cinematic" and to make matters worse the screen tears like crazy ton's of screen tearing. It's very comical to look at it.

Though the game runs pretty well while in quests it does have it's slow down moments like in PSE burst or when tons of spells and effect are flying about.

I think the ps4 "pro" could be a good opportunity for pso2 on ps4 to get that extra performance it needs.

Zysets
Sep 13, 2016, 07:21 PM
I mean, if PS4 Pro is a PS4 with better hardware (I haven't cared enough to look into it, so I don't know the extent of the upgrade), wouldn't it run PSO2 better in general, even if they didn't update the game specifically for PS4 Pro?

pkemr4
Sep 13, 2016, 08:43 PM
isnt screen-tearing more of a TV issue

DarkShadowX
Sep 13, 2016, 09:00 PM
It might run a little bit better in general cause of the increased processing power, but as far as RAM usage, Pro has the same as the original one, but I dunno if the team managing it would "optimize" it for the PRO.

Keilyn
Sep 13, 2016, 09:05 PM
Specifications:

These are the new PS4 Pro specs:

Main processor: Custom-chip single Processor
CPU: x86-64 AMD "Jaguar," 8 cores
GPU: 4.20 TFLOPS, AMD Radeon™ based graphics engine
Memory: GDDR5 8GB
Storage size: 1TB
External dimensions: Approx. 295×55×327 mm (width × height × length) (excludes largest projection)
Mass: Approx. 3.3 kg
BD/DVD Drive: BD × 6 CAV, DVD × 8 CAV
Input/Output: Super-Speed USB (USB 3.1 Gen.1) port × 3, AUX port × 1
Networking: Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T)×1, IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, Bluetooth® 4.0 (LE)
Power: AC 100V, 50/60Hz
Power consumption: Max. 310W
Operating temp: 5ºC – 35ºC
AV Output: HDMI out port (supports 4K/HDR) DIGITAL OUT (OPTICAL) port

Read more at http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/ps4-pro-vs-ps4#uso6Ik1AsTJewvhj.99

The specifications to the original playstation 4 are

CPU
Number of Cores/Threads: 8/8 [1]
Frequency: speculated to be running a base clock speed of 1.6 Ghz on a 2.75 Ghz capable chip
Shared L2 Cache: 2 x 2 MB [2]
Manufacturing Process: 28 nm [3]
Custom CPU with background processing for recording gameplay.
GPU: AMD next-generation Radeon based graphics engine
GPU Cores: 8 [5]
GPU Clock: 800 MHz [6]
Memory: 8GB GDDR5
Frequency: 5500 MHz [7]
System Memory Bus: 256-bit [8]
System Memory Bandwidth: 176.0 GB/s [9]
Storage size: 500GB, 5200 RPM, hard disk drive, user removable*
External dimensions: Approximately 275 x 53 x 305 mm
Mass: Approx 2.8 kg (6.2 lb)
BD/DVD drive (read only): BD x 6 CAV, DVD x 8 CAV, Blu-ray and DVD playback, no audio CD support
Input/Output: Super-Speed USBx (USB 3.0) port x2, AUX port x1
Networking: Ethernet x1, IEEE 802.11b/g/n (2.4 GHz only), Bluetooth 2.1+EDR
AV output: HDMI 1.4 out port, digital out optical port. SD output is supported for lower-resolution displays. HD output at 720p, 1080p, sony claims it can stream up to 4k content but this is still TBD.
Included Peripherals: PlayStation 4 system x1, Wireless controller (DualShock 4) x1, Mono headset x1, AC power cord x1, HDMI cable x1, USB cable x1
Stereoscopic Output: Hardware supported

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can say a lot about this, but I won't.
A matter of pride and principle.
The least I can do is at least post both spec sheets for comparison.

Sizustar
Sep 13, 2016, 09:06 PM
If anything, we should learn it during TGS PSO2 announcement.

lostinseganet
Sep 13, 2016, 11:38 PM
It certainly would help. Especially if they are going to go the VR route.

Zyrusticae
Sep 14, 2016, 10:47 AM
An update is only needed if they want to add additional graphical features.

Otherwise, it'll just play like it does on the PS4, except with the additional CPU and GPU power smoothing out the frame rate a bit.

Squal_FFVIII
Sep 14, 2016, 12:01 PM

Otherwise, it'll just play like it does on the PS4, except with the additional CPU and GPU power smoothing out the frame rate a bit.

Is that really how it works? Sony said that it's up to the developers to implement updates for the current ps4 games in order for them to take advantage of the PRO otherwise the games will run exactly the same as they did on the original ps4.

That said we can't take everything sony says as fact of course. Microsoft said the same thing basically when they announced the very slight improvements to the GPU's clock speeds of the xbox one s. Yet even without a patch some games are getting up to 3-5 fps more.

That said it does make sense that sega would have to update the game for it to run better and be more optimized for the new hardware.

Sizustar
Sep 14, 2016, 12:05 PM
Is that really how it works? Sony said that it's up to the developers to implement updates for the current ps4 games in order for them to take advantage of the PRO otherwise the games will run exactly the same as they did on the original ps4.

That said we can't take everything sony says as fact of course. Microsoft said the same thing basically when they announced the very slight improvements to the GPU's clock speeds of the xbox one s. Yet even without a patch some games are getting up to 3-5 fps more.

That said it does make sense that sega would have to update the game for it to run better and be more optimized for the new hardware.

PSO2 PS4 version is most likely done with the majority of work by Sony's inhouse team, since we know the basic level of Sega PSO2 team skill is not very...high.

Zysets
Sep 14, 2016, 12:07 PM
We'll see a slight improvement no matter what because the better hardware, but it'll just be a slightly smoother framerate, at best, like Zyrusticae says. Sega still has to update the game if they want to take full advantage of the update though.

Pyrii
Sep 14, 2016, 05:26 PM
isnt screen-tearing more of a TV issue

Nope, tearing is because the video card is sending out the framebuffer while one frame is in the middle of rendering over the top of the previous frame. Vsync usually corrects this but has a cost on framerate (Waiting on frames) and memory (adds an extra framebuffer), there are Vsync methods that reduce this cost at the expense of using more memory (adding a third framebuffer so there's less waiting)

EDIT: I've simplified this explanation, I know it's a LOT more complicated than this.

EDIT2: Consoles have limited memory which is why most devs don't use Vsync and instead aim for a specific framerate, which they lock the console and code to.

Keilyn
Sep 14, 2016, 07:18 PM
Nope, tearing is because the video card is sending out the framebuffer while one frame is in the middle of rendering over the top of the previous frame. Vsync usually corrects this but has a cost on framerate (Waiting on frames) and memory (adds an extra framebuffer), there are Vsync methods that reduce this cost at the expense of using more memory (adding a third framebuffer so there's less waiting)

EDIT: I've simplified this explanation, I know it's a LOT more complicated than this.

EDIT2: Consoles have limited memory which is why most devs don't use Vsync and instead aim for a specific framerate, which they lock the console and code to.

Monitors do have their issues too..
LCDs are slower than CRTs and back then Ghosting and other issues existed.

We never used LCDs in serious tournaments back then due to how the response time of LCDs could be as slow as 300ms (60hz = 60 screen redraws x slowest response time per redrawn = true response time). If your response time is actually slower than the game you are playing, this is particularly bad.. especially in games with PvP. Things are better today than they were back then, but it has really taken over 15 years of research and development to actually eliminate the design flaws in LCDs.

Today, for those with multiple monitors...
There is such a thing as input lag between monitors if one isn't careful.

There is a major difference between LCDs made to watch TV and movies and LCDs made to play video games and do Animation. A lot of console gamers will play on their living room LCD (same one used to watch TV) and those have worse specifications than LCDs and usually cost more because of their size.

Thank the Gods that things have improved..
My point is that if you are trying to play a video game on a TV rather than a Monitor, you are much more prone to seeing errors. Console Gamers deal with all the limitations of the consoles along with limitation of the TV they have their console connected to. (I've seen ghosting on many TVs when playing Fighting Games and Shooters)...

Pyrii
Sep 15, 2016, 01:56 AM
<snip>

Display lag != Screen tearing.

It may highlight it more, or even cover it up with badly ghosting displays, but the issues aren't caused by the same thing.

Displays unfortunately are a whole different kettle of fish.

EvilMag
Sep 15, 2016, 03:36 AM
Prob not gonna happen. We've already seen how hilariously incompetent PSO2's development team really is.

isCasted
Sep 15, 2016, 04:39 AM
There's nothing else they can do about it other than giving players a switch between higher framerate and "4K". The actual issues with the game are low-polygon models and environments and low-res textures throughout entire game, and and fixing that clearly isn't worth dev time.

I personally wish they actually removed a shitton of unnecessary light sources in areas like Seabed, Darker's Den and others, because, other than giving eye strain and dropping a few FPS, extra lights also make low-poly and low-res things more visible.

Eternal255
Sep 15, 2016, 03:33 PM
I'm definitely getting the pro. The standard runs pretty sluggish, I see the framerate drop rather often. The updated hardware will be nice, hopefully it'll mean higher max framerate too (but I doubt it). Fingers crossed they make a PSO2 Limited Edition one or at least some cool LEs (JP obviously cuz US has shit for LEs).

Keilyn
Sep 15, 2016, 03:43 PM
Display lag != Screen tearing.

It may highlight it more, or even cover it up with badly ghosting displays, but the issues aren't caused by the same thing.

Displays unfortunately are a whole different kettle of fish.

nevertheless they do go hand in hand.
20 years in computers and I still get people who don't know the difference between local lag and network lag... along with screen tearing and ghosting.

Tunga
Sep 15, 2016, 04:14 PM
nevertheless they do go hand in hand.
20 years in computers and I still get people who don't know the difference between local lag and network lag... along with screen tearing and ghosting.

How about people that call frame rate drops as lag...

Fusionxglave
Sep 17, 2016, 01:47 PM
https://youtu.be/yu-ST4ntGjc

anyone seen this video I think you should see this video.

r00tabaga
Nov 10, 2016, 04:45 PM
Any answer on this? I'm running out of space on my PS4 & own a 4k TV so I'm thinking of trading up to a PS4 Pro.

Thanks, sorry for the bump.

Sizustar
Nov 10, 2016, 05:23 PM
Read all the replies?

Until Sony or Sega say otherwise, all we have are speculations

r00tabaga
Nov 10, 2016, 07:15 PM
So no, nothing. Sony has listed all the NA games that will take advantage of UHD/4K. Figured Japanese games would get the same.

Madevil
Nov 11, 2016, 02:44 AM

This is how we expected... but nope, it doesn't

on Pro, when running normal PS4 games, the CPU and GPU would be underclocking to the same frequency as PS4,

$ONY claim this action is for stability concern

So no, nothing. Sony has listed all the NA games that will take advantage of UHD/4K. Figured Japanese games would get the same.

Project Diva X HD get PRO support, see Miku in 4K

Shoterxx
Nov 11, 2016, 06:41 AM
Maybe we'll get better textures and models, and possibly "HDR™"* support. Gotta fix that banding.

*No, it does not output more colors than LDR, it just means it allows for more precision during render. Still a neat feature, but way overblown IMHO, and not properly explained.