PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the new pvp arena?

MightyHarken
Nov 20, 2016, 02:39 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLxwF71BzVY

My thoughts: Looks promising, I only hope they give commodity rewards, and doesn't become the next challenge mode.

loafhero
Nov 20, 2016, 03:04 AM
I feel a little excited since this is something brand new to PSO2 but I don't want to keep high expectations.

nguuuquaaa
Nov 20, 2016, 03:05 AM
I hope that there will be non-random-weapon mode.
I don't want to face a team full of rod users.............

Xaeris
Nov 20, 2016, 03:59 AM
It seems confined to the Shared Ship and thus divorced from the game proper so I don't care at all, which is about the best reaction I could have to PvP in this game.

SteveCZ
Nov 20, 2016, 06:29 AM
Personally, I think I've said on one of my old post before that I'm in this game cause of its PvE, so I don't really care much about the PvP. If the reward is good I'd play it, but only cause of the reward, not because of the PvP itself.

Could be nice for those who are longing PvP in this game though, but I'd say it'll be long until they can add more PAs and balancing them up. It'll get there anyway.

The good thing is this feature seems to be in challenge block so I think, based on the video as well, it won't use any of your equipment. I'm kind of allergic of P2W style PvP. This is more like Dragon Nest's PvP other than its P2W ladder, and I like that.

oratank
Nov 20, 2016, 06:39 AM
waiting on ais fall

final_attack
Nov 20, 2016, 07:27 AM
As long as there's no PvP-specific reward (or insanely hard to drop on PvE with extra horrible rng on scheduled only / time limited EQ) ......

SteveCZ
Nov 20, 2016, 07:36 AM
As long as there's no PvP-specific reward (or insanely hard to drop on PvE with extra horrible rng on scheduled only / time limited EQ) ......

With a chance of 630 in the middle. :D

AnikaSteinberg
Nov 20, 2016, 07:55 AM
Quite positive. No matter how good or bad it's implemented, or how big or small the rewards are, Battle Arena will still be something that my teammates and I could casually do on our ARKS downtime. :3

yoshiblue
Nov 20, 2016, 08:38 AM
Will be interesting to see how broken it gets after a while.

Great Pan
Nov 20, 2016, 09:38 AM
Disappointed, for not letting me use my own gear to hunt noobs and scrubs.

Arada
Nov 20, 2016, 09:41 AM
It looks horrible.

Kintama
Nov 20, 2016, 09:58 AM
Disappointed, for not letting me use my own gear to hunt noobs and scrubs.

THIS

It just feels so wrong to struggle against new players, it's like the game doesn't acknowledge your strenght for what it is :/

loafhero
Nov 20, 2016, 10:05 AM
It just feels so wrong to struggle against new players, it's like the game doesn't acknowledge your strenght for what it is :/

Besides basic knowledge of movement, weapon mechanics and actual skill?

TehCubey
Nov 20, 2016, 10:53 AM
Lol @ people thinking PvP should let you keep your class/gear. The game is (more or less) balanced for PvE, but this setup would be absolute hell for PvP and even Sega realizes it. This is the best way to implement this, the alternative would be MPAs full of nothing but katana combat BRs with Guren and FOs spamming hitscan techniques.

And of course everyone thinks they're the pro players who'd be capping noobs left and right, and not the ones who'd be repeatedly roflstomped themselves. There's always a bigger fish out there. Or a cheesier build.

My one comment on this is: I really hope Sega introduces randomized matchmaking, like what normal PvP games have. This is going to suck if it'll be just standard 12 people MPAs like all the other content in the game, it basically makes all matches preset which is a bad idea on several levels. I don't have high hopes.

Dammy
Nov 20, 2016, 10:55 AM
i dont care

Tymek
Nov 20, 2016, 11:41 AM
ARKS TURF WARS

Kintama
Nov 20, 2016, 11:49 AM
Lol @ people thinking PvP should let you keep your class/gear. The game is (more or less) balanced for PvE, but this setup would be absolute hell for PvP and even Sega realizes it. This is the best way to implement this, the alternative would be MPAs full of nothing but katana combat BRs with Guren and FOs spamming hitscan techniques.

And of course everyone thinks they're the pro players who'd be capping noobs left and right, and not the ones who'd be repeatedly roflstomped themselves. There's always a bigger fish out there. Or a cheesier build.

My one comment on this is: I really hope Sega introduces randomized matchmaking, like what normal PvP games have. This is going to suck if it'll be just standard 12 people MPAs like all the other content in the game, it basically makes all matches preset which is a bad idea on several levels. I don't have high hopes.

You're just saying stuff that goes without saying, of course Sega knows you can't have a viable pvp mode with skills that give +255% damage or 20 secs invincibility among other just as """""balanced""""" stuff.

A gimped pvp mode is always welcome, don't get me wrong, what i am saying is that i am not hyped at all for it as it would not deliver where i wanted the game to deliver, yet i knew it was never delivering because of the craptastic balance.

nguuuquaaa
Nov 20, 2016, 01:15 PM
I on the other hand hope for PvP specific rewards. Well, gotta attract people to do PvP...

P2W ladder
I remember seeing 1k7 rank as naked 3 years ago. Is it different now?

THIS

Personally I like the gear-doesn't-matter style PvP since super hardcore players with 7 or 8 slot stuff will curb stomp everyone.
A specific PvP skill tree would be better I assume.

Cyclon
Nov 20, 2016, 01:26 PM
Wow. So this is finally happening.
It looks pretty basic at the moment, and the footage is really jumpy. We'll see how it goes.

... are we supposed to get a Rising Edge type 0 at the same time and is that what it is? I kinda hoped for...more than an uncharged only version with an overend blade.

HeyItsTHK
Nov 20, 2016, 01:47 PM
So it's like Challenge Mode where you start with nothing and get stuff "randomly". Could be fun to goof around in.

I wonder if it's truly random or there's set spawns for things. Maybe the stars can be team currency and you can buy stuff from a team base.

Well, can only wait and see. After PSO1's Battle Mode there's nowhere to go but up.

SteveCZ
Nov 20, 2016, 02:06 PM
I remember seeing 1k7 rank as naked 3 years ago. Is it different now?

Well.. I guess it already changed cause I played it like... 4 - 5 years ago. :-P Good to know, btw.

echofaith
Nov 20, 2016, 02:24 PM
Hoping whatever reward this gives turns irrelevant quickly so I can ignore it altogether.

Flaoc
Nov 20, 2016, 03:02 PM
better be no reward cause screw doing this

HeyItsTHK
Nov 20, 2016, 03:56 PM
If it gives anything it should be something either purely cosmetic or something that can be obtained elsewhere. Like challenge miles or something.

Enforcer MKV
Nov 20, 2016, 04:25 PM
I noticed several weapons that are either from other PS titles or just straight up new designs. I believe I saw a sword that seemed like a new design that was somewhat in line with 6* coloration, as well as a Missouri M25SE [Not the licht, which is a white stock, but an actual hardwood looking stock] as well as a Blackbull from PSU.

I'd like to see those as well as any other new designs that they roll into this mode as camos.

Honestly, if they don't give me camos I can use, I'm not going to be worried because weapon turnover will be high anyway in the coming months because of 14* weapons being a thing now.

Edit: Challenge Miles would also be acceptable. Actually, that'd be preferable - add a new shop that can only be accessed after playing PVP once or twice, so people have to at least try the mode, but allow people to get the rewards by either doing challenge runs or the PVP. That'd be a pretty balanced way to go about it, I think.

MightyHarken
Nov 20, 2016, 04:28 PM
I hope it gives lambda grinders/photon spheres/ excubes, etc. But not weapons. new 12* units would be welcomed as well.

EvilMag
Nov 20, 2016, 04:33 PM
Kinda sad how much huge incentives have honestly poisoned this game. The most they should give is weapon camos, lambda grinders, triboosts, or even challenge milles. Please no 13*s, 14*, or 12* units.

wefwq
Nov 20, 2016, 04:39 PM
So it's like challenge quest where everything you'll use is completely randomized by RNG?
How will PvP work if most combat related trigger is client-sided though?

After watching the video, i feel moderate amount of disappointment since it's not AIS PvP.
Kinda hope that there's some proper balance adjustments for tech against the others though.

Dephinix
Nov 20, 2016, 04:49 PM
... are we supposed to get a Rising Edge type 0 at the same time and is that what it is? I kinda hoped for...more than an uncharged only version with an overend blade.

This looks much better than the old rising edge for just getting up quickly, so not as bad as you think.
Looks interesting at least!

Cyclon
Nov 20, 2016, 05:04 PM
This looks much better than the old rising edge for just getting up quickly, so not as bad as you think.
Looks interesting at least!
I don't think it'd be bad, actually, depending on damage it could be incredibly good, since base Rising edge already has deceptively good aoe as is.
I just don't think it'd be mechanically interesting at all. Guess it'd work well in tandem with sacrifice bite 0 though.

loafhero
Nov 20, 2016, 08:09 PM
I like that that the two teams opposing each other are grouped into the standard Red vs Blue teams judging from the colors of the Battle Arena's starting point. Hope they include funny taunting actions for the release of the Battle Arena.

The map layout does look a bit strategic. Cover and vantage points for Ranged and some flanking opportunities for Melee.

It would be nice if Hunter weapons don't require timed Just Guards and instead, blocking for any period of time negates all damage. Player attack animations are really fast and you can't even move while blocking anyway. It would make fighting against Rifles and Rods a little more even especially since Rifles have obligatory reload animations and Rods need to charge.

MightyHarken
Nov 21, 2016, 03:01 AM
It will have everything we ever dreamed of.

loafhero
Nov 21, 2016, 03:18 AM
It will have everything we ever dreamed of.

Ugh, don't remind people of that travesty.

Moffen
Nov 21, 2016, 06:19 AM
THIS

If you're struggling against new players,you dont have strength and you need to git gud or git out.

Eternal255
Nov 21, 2016, 02:38 PM
Holy shit, they're actually adding pvp to this game? I never thought I would see this.

I hope they do it correctly, unlike PSO where Force was king. Really curious to see how this plays out. I really hope it's balanced but not to the point where players who put in loads of time (and money) into the game are on the same level as those who don't.

Edit: just saw that the arena will be like c-mode, starting with nothing. I see why they did that, but I'm kinda disappointed.

Vatallus
Nov 21, 2016, 03:14 PM
I don't expect anything out of this.

Keilyn
Nov 21, 2016, 10:19 PM
A rule among online games..

"IF you want your game to be taken seriously, it must have PvP, otherwise who cares"

Also the red and blue team design and seeing the type of interface is very familiar to me. Its using the same system asked by esports to attempt their endorsement. Seems SEGA learned from Guild Wars 2 along with GexD and SBx, and maybe will try to implement the idea to work towards an esports endorsement.

One of the rules to endorsement is that your PvP must not be gear-based, and it must be independent from any PvE aspects of the game; maps must be uniform, and all servers must be dedicated servers, unless the host of a non-dedicated server is a third-party. Like all Esports-Endorsed games out there in existence...

Makes me wonder what the ZMS'es will think about this.
Then again... it is "Japan Only" and currently in
the online gaming PvP tournament circuit, Japan is pretty much the laughing stock of East.

I like what I saw so far. ^_^

Totori
Nov 21, 2016, 10:39 PM
I'm excited it's like CM, something new instead of the bland base game.

landman
Nov 22, 2016, 03:19 AM
I feel like it's too late, even if your gear does not carry there, a mode like this should be in from the start, adding it at this point just feels like random stuff they add for the sake of adding it. And instead of randomy party battle game this should have premade classes, but that would require some kind of balancing and NOPE lol

wefwq
Nov 22, 2016, 03:48 AM
I feel like it's too late, even if your gear does not carry there, a mode like this should be in from the start, adding it at this point just feels like random stuff they add for the sake of adding it. And instead of randomy party battle game this should have premade classes, but that would require some kind of balancing and NOPE lol

Yeah, they did the right thing for the GP quest back then, with preset class tree and equipment setup.

Arada
Nov 22, 2016, 05:53 AM
For those fearing the presence of exclusive prizes. Just gather 12 people in a private MPA. 1 team does not move and dies. Next round the other team doesn't move and dies. You can do this shit for hours.

yoshiblue
Nov 22, 2016, 06:35 AM
Now what if PvP became a Mario Party type mode too, and all the PvP action happened via mini games?

landman
Nov 22, 2016, 06:51 AM
Now what if PvP became a Mario Party type mode too, and all the PvP action happened via mini games?

Like in PSU's PVP? if the minigames are fun it's not a bad idea. PSU's were not fun.

TehCubey
Nov 22, 2016, 07:05 AM
For those fearing the presence of exclusive prizes. Just gather 12 people in a private MPA. 1 team does not move and dies. Next round the other team doesn't move and dies. You can do this shit for hours.

This is why I hoped the pvp mode has random matchmaking. If it's the usual MPA setup, this is exactly what will happen. And everyone will see it coming except for Sega and they'll be surprised that somehow people already have <whatever rewards PvP offers> at day one.

Zeroem
Nov 22, 2016, 07:18 AM
Honestly, I expected PSO-W to explode into a war-zone when this mode was introduced. Also, this reminded me when Warframe introduced their PvP mode. Good times.

Well, the way this PvP mode was structured (Challenge-mode style with a pinch of RnG), this could be an interesting mode. Perhaps not populated, but would have their own fans. Also, not using equipped gear and opted to RnG for weapon acquisition is a somewhat-good move from SEGA. Imagine when you're just starting the match, and immediately nuked by a team of FOs with their 8s equip. While on that subject, I hope SEGA implement different PA and tech damage values on this new mode. Otherwise, certain class would become broken in this mode.

For now, I guess my stance about this mode is, "As long as you don't shove it into my face, I'll try the mode when I feel like it."

Meteor Weapon
Nov 22, 2016, 07:21 AM
BUT THE REWARD WILL BE STAR GEMS ADASFGJGKBKDGNSKNGKF!!!

HeyItsTHK
Nov 22, 2016, 11:10 AM

Earlier on in the game's life span, PSCrew held a poll asking if players would like pvp, the winner of the poll was "No", the outcome of this was Emergency Code: Clone as a sort of way to fight other people's characters, but they were AI controlled.

And on the subject of premade classes, there will be a point where there is one best class at any given time. Even if you nerf it, another will rise in its place; U N L E S S they have an Overwatch thing going and you can swap classes to suit a situation.

RibbonSoft
Nov 22, 2016, 11:33 AM
PVP can fuck off. I don't and will never understand why westerners and Koreans are so obsessed with PVP. I hate it and if they make it like old CM where you have to play the mode to get stuff to improve your gear, then SEGA can go fuck themselves. I will never do PVP, I only tolerated CM because it wasn't PVP. This game does not need PVP. What it needs is an entire overhaul of all its systems, or what others would call a totally new game.

Anon_Fire
Nov 22, 2016, 12:17 PM
PVP can fuck off. I don't and will never understand why westerners and Koreans are so obsessed with PVP. I hate it and if they make it like old CM where you have to play the mode to get stuff to improve your gear, then SEGA can go fuck themselves. I will never do PVP, I only tolerated CM because it wasn't PVP. This game does not need PVP. What it needs is an entire overhaul of all its systems, or what others would call a totally new game.

Then good luck waiting for a PSO3.

nguuuquaaa
Nov 22, 2016, 12:33 PM

You can lock your account and wait for PSO3 instead.

oratank
Nov 22, 2016, 12:49 PM
well pso3 will have pvp too so he shouldn't play it

Vintasticvin
Nov 22, 2016, 01:51 PM
RAWRRRRRRG PVP DESTROY TEH NOOBS , EXPAND MY EGO, EXPAND MY EPEEN, EXPAND MY SUPERIORITY TESTOSTERONE FUELED GAME RAGE AND STUFF HRRRR MY DONG IS READY FOR PVP IN PSO2 BROS!!!!;;;

Yden
Nov 22, 2016, 03:44 PM
My main thought is needs more AIS

loafhero
Nov 22, 2016, 07:23 PM
While on that subject, I hope SEGA implement different PA and tech damage values on this new mode. Otherwise, certain class would become broken in this mode.
From the looks of the trailer, players are most likely locked into only one PA for each weapon and said PA's (like the unique Rising Edge seen in the trailer) function differently from their PvE counterparts.

U N L E S S they have an Overwatch thing going and you can swap classes to suit a situation.

It looks like it might have slight Overwatch elements in the sense that you can swap weapons during the match. In the trailer, one player used Gathering to pick up a new weapon. Its still dictated by RnG but its nice that there is an option to swap weapons during a match but unlike in Overwatch where class changing is pretty quick and safe, in Battle Arena, getting a new weapon might expose you to being KO'd pretty easily (that is, unless the Gathering spots are in safe zones).

sol_trigger
Nov 22, 2016, 07:36 PM
one PA per weapon ?...are they fucking kidding us :-o

Vintasticvin
Nov 22, 2016, 07:46 PM
Sounds fair if you ask me

Zysets
Nov 22, 2016, 08:06 PM
One PA per weapon sounds limited but it really helps keep things under control and fair. Plus, how would multiple PA/Techs work? Would you just get a randomized palette, or would you be expected to organize everything in the middle of battle? Set it up beforehand?

Cyclon
Nov 22, 2016, 08:41 PM
From the looks of the trailer, players are most likely locked into only one PA for each weapon and said PA's (like the unique Rising Edge seen in the trailer) function differently from their PvE counterparts.
Don't think that's correct. You can spot a Huney throwing several Nova strikes at some point(which seems to be the same old regular one), as well as Megids on top of the Foies.
I'm more concerned by the fact that we saw nothing for assault rifles except basic shooting that doesn't flinch and doesn't seem that strong(edit: definitely not saying it should flinch, in fact please don't make it flinch... but at the moment Foie does seem like a much better option for ranged combat).

... plus two PAs isn't exactly an exciting amount either admittedly.

loafhero
Nov 22, 2016, 10:01 PM
Hmm, having roughly two PAs for each weapon still sounds fair.

I would not want to arrange the PA palette myself during a match. A set default arrangement for the PA palette sounds more fair and likely since its not like two PAs is such a hassle especially with the 3-button layout now.

Not sure about Rifle PAs but Rifle users look like they still get access to auto-locking so there's that. Plus, travelling bullets are much brighter and longer in Battle Arena which I assume allows prediction of firing path and locating the point of firing easier for others.

sol_trigger
Nov 22, 2016, 11:25 PM
k whatever im not going to touch this PVP shit, PSO2 fanboi is too dumb they can digest whatever the hell SEGA pull from their ass
PVP mode with 1-2 PA is bullshit, even GUNBOUND has more options than this PVP crap

Meteor Weapon
Nov 22, 2016, 11:57 PM
We don't even know how PvP would gonna work, but assuming what Sega has been doing to the game as of late, I can't really blame people for being negative about it.

Tunga
Nov 23, 2016, 12:01 AM
Already saw some lock-on action in the trailer, hope this isn't the case for release. But knowing sega, this mode will prob be ridiculously unbalanced.

loafhero
Nov 23, 2016, 01:28 AM
I'm definitely concerned about letting Rifles have auto lock-on and maybe even regular lock-on in PvP. It would have been preferable if equipping a Rifle instantly forces the user to go into free-aim mode. Only things I saw in the trailer that's balancing this out is that players can still dash out of the way and that Rifles do roughly only 15-18 damage for every shot which isn't too bad since all players seem to start off with 300 HP and from what I saw, based on how the Sword-using character had 400 HP, equipping a Hunter weapon grants an additional 100 HP.

Maninbluejumpsuit
Nov 23, 2016, 05:01 AM
Hope nothing too awesome is locked behind grinding that for a lengthy amount of time.

Would probably be nice for a few laughs, but I just can't take it seriously.

Sizustar
Nov 23, 2016, 05:02 AM
Hope nothing too awesome is locked behind grinding that for a lengthy amount of time.

Would probably be nice for a few laughs, but I just can't take it seriously.

Probabely accessory ticket or Lobby action like ranking prize...?
Or title for participting x tnumber of time.

Sonichi
Nov 23, 2016, 05:33 AM
k whatever im not going to touch this PVP shit, PSO2 fanboi is too dumb they can digest whatever the hell SEGA pull from their ass
PVP mode with 1-2 PA is bullshit, even GUNBOUND has more options than this PVP crap

Just like in every MOBA/Arena shooter the characters each have 10+ skills to use with no cooldowns right? No. 1-2 PAs balanced for the job is perfectly fine because it means they can balance it better. It'll probably be done like other games that are popular right now and you'll get a couple of weapons, 2-3 PAs and a PA craft that acts like an "ult".

Besides it's not like you lose anything by not playing PvP, even if they forced the top new 13* set on an exchange system like CM, who gives a fuck because within 2-3 months there will be another Collect File or better anyway. Or at this point, 14*s themselves. Thinking of this mode as a "I have to kill everyone" mode is kind of stupid, it's quite obvious that the combat (as broken as it will probably be) isn't the focus of the mode, but the collectiong and capturing of areas.

Oh and if you do want whatever prizes can be obtained, just join organized runs with friends and trade win/losses, it's not like PvP releasing suddenly makes the last 3+ years of PSO2 "complete shit" and a reason to quit over. Who are you, Maenara?

Zephyrion
Nov 23, 2016, 06:29 AM
I might add that while the mode will probably have its issues (still too early to tell, those clips are really not enough), SEGA will very likely treat it like CM in terms of rewards. I don't get people complaining about CM having its own weapons and units since units are obtained incredibly easily, and weapons, even on release, were more of a sidegrade (Ideal are still conditional weapons). Most of the C-Miles are, and were always used for side items for the most part, and PvP will probably keep this formula, which works great imo.

Also, judging from how this looks, with all the colours and cuteness, This doesn't look like it's meant to be a competitive PvP, really more of a "just for kicks" thing, and will probably focus a lot more on positioning and moving around than pure battle, similarly to how PvP worked in most of the games in the franchise

landman
Nov 23, 2016, 08:58 AM
All this discussion about limited PA made me remember the horde mode in Mass Effect 3, how to transfrom a single player rpg game into an arena coop game. It limited each premade character to 3 techs. And it was fun!

Maninbluejumpsuit
Nov 23, 2016, 01:23 PM
All this discussion about limited PA made me remember the horde mode in Mass Effect 3, how to transfrom a single player rpg game into an arena coop game. It limited each premade character to 3 techs. And it was fun!

I hope ME:A multiplayer brings in options to freely customize what 3 powers to have...
I'd love to have cloak/energy drain/recon mine.

ArcaneTechs
Nov 23, 2016, 08:12 PM
watch people push this for E-Sports (well at best local Sega Tourney's) or something and the "casuals" stay clear of this.

Either way, Battle Mode feels just slightly polished from past work from Ep1/2 and PSP games. Maybe this will become a PSO3 thing when they polish it up (which we can assume they're probably getting ready to work on that game by now or at least a layout) and manage out balancing. Since PS was never a PvP heavy game, they'll probably expand upon this this time around (I'm ok with it after playing previous games).

The only problem I can think of is it going to die as fast as CM did and not be touched for however long.

I look forward to PvP gear (well not like WoW for example) but something worth doing this for outside you know fun, something to get while your having fun.

GHNeko
Nov 24, 2016, 12:49 AM
This thread is mostly doom and gloom. The ire is great lmao.

I expect a fun side-distraction that may have the potential of holding my attention.

Even if it gave no rewards, I wouldnt care because I'm interested in the core concept. What Sega should have and could have done in the past really dont mean shit at this point so why even bother stressing over it.

I also try not to judge things so harshly without enough information but hey we cant win them all.

Zysets
Nov 24, 2016, 01:07 AM
This thread is mostly doom and gloom. The ire is great lmao.

This is PSO-World, we're all doom and gloom here, I remember the person who deleted their items and characters when EP4 was first shown, this place isn't very optimistic, unfortunately.

I for one am excited, I don't expect something well balanced, but it'll be fun to get friends together and beat the crud out of each other! The previous titles with PVP didn't really do much with it, so I don't expect much here either.

Maybe this will become a PSO3 thing when they polish it up (which we can assume they're probably getting ready to work on that game by now or at least a layout).

They said they'd promise to keep PSO2 the main game for at least 10 years if I remember correctly. We have like 6 years to go, if that's true, I hope they start planning out "PSO3/PSU2/PS Whatever" now, to make sure it has a solid start.