PDA

View Full Version : PSO2 The Animation's Ending is (Possibly) Copied from Another Anime

Tafyog
Dec 10, 2016, 03:52 PM
I may not be the first one to notice this but after watching 'PSO2 The Animation', I felt that it's ending shared a striking resemblance towards the ending of 'Mobile Fighter G Gundam'.

Let me explain...

In 'PSO2 The Animation', the hero, Itsuki, is trying to save Rina, who has become a Dark Falz... which somehow glues her face to her screen or something because she apparently can't escape the game to go to school or whatever and the biggest concern is apparently her ability to prepare for a student council party which is pretty stupid tbh but whatevs...

In 'Mobile Fighter G Gundam' the hero, Domon Cashew... I mean Domon Kasshu, is trying to save Rain Mikamura, who has become the core life unit for the Devil Gundam... which completely reasonably traps her inside the Devil Gundam so she cannot get out and since it's IRL in the anime it makes sense...

In both animations, the hero is trying to save another person (that they are in love with let's be honest itsukina is a real thing) from being part of the main antagonist of the series... huh.

In PSO2, Itsuki has to get Rina's attention so she snaps out of being the Dark Falz and in turn, stops being controlled by it...

In Mobile Fighter G Gundam Domon has to get Rain's attention (in this case by actually saying "I love you rain" and not being a fucking pussy like Itsuki was and just yelling out her name but whatever...) so she wakes up and is no longer being controlled by the Devil Gundam to be it's core life unit.

In both animations, the hero has to get their beloved's attention so they are not being controlled by the main antagonist of the anime... shall I go on?

In PSO2 both Itsuki and Rina use a charged blast (sorry I don't play ranger I don't know the PA name) to finish off Dark Falz (and then they fight over who got last hit in chat) (not really).

In Mobile Fighter G Gundam Domon and Rain recite the Burning Finger poem or whatever the fuck and kill off the Devil Gundam.

In both animations the hero and their rescued destroy the main antagonist together with a 'shared power'.

Am I the only one that thought this? Do you guys think this was intentional or just a happy accident/coincidence?

EDIT: I didn't catch the part where Rina uses her real body muh bad.

D-Inferno
Dec 10, 2016, 03:58 PM
I bet it was stolen, given how bland and shitty PSO2A was.

Poyonche
Dec 10, 2016, 04:00 PM
Rina isn't glued to her screen, she is in the game with her very own body.

Tafyog
Dec 10, 2016, 04:02 PM
Rina isn't glued to her screen, she is in the game with her very own body.

maybe I should've watched the anime more thoroughly and I would've known that... sorry.

Zysets
Dec 10, 2016, 04:16 PM
People pointed this out within hours of the final episode airing actually, I remember seeing it multiple times in the #PSO2 hashtag on twitter. I don't think it was pure coincidence, but honestly, it doesn't bug me at all. I love G Gundam, it's my favorite anime of it's era, and I've seen it's inspiration (or blatant copy) in tons of other series over the years.

You also have to remember that since PSU, Phantasy Star has had plenty of nods to popular anime, hell, Ogi from Phantasy Star Zero is basically the Tallgeese from Gundam Wing. There's tons of "inspiration" like that if you play through all the games that have come out in the past 10 years. Some can even argue that it goes further, with the original Phantasy Star's Air Castle possibly being inspired by the movie Laputa: Castle in the Sky according to some.

Also to further clarify the topic of Rina, PSO2 isn't even a game exactly, people on Earth just think it's a game, when really it's another universe that actually exists. Usually when people "play" PSO2, they use a fake body made of Aether as their "character", but in that case, Rina's own physical earth body was taken into the universe of PSO2.

Totori
Dec 10, 2016, 06:17 PM
That's anime for 'ya, watch enough and it all starts to run together with similarities.

IchijinKali
Dec 10, 2016, 07:32 PM
Similar . . . to G Gundam alright screw it I'm going to watch the episode, doubt I need any info on the idiots from the anime. Going to see how many times I call BS.

*edit* I won't be criticizing non-PSO2 related scenes.

1. AISs use cannons ON FODDER
2. AISs then waste time attacking fodder over Apprentice, unless these are the models that don't have flight, BS either way
3. AISs one-shoted by Apprentice yet when Itsuki and um Aika? w/e get hit nope their fine just a flesh wound.
4. Life or Death situation against Apprentice sure you have time for a pep talk about going TO A STUPID FESTIVAL.
5. Double dipping eh Itsuki shot twice and still not a pile of ash, blasted main character immunity.

So 5 probably more but that would really require me to pay attention.

Kondibon
Dec 11, 2016, 01:01 AM
That's anime for 'ya, watch enough and it all starts to run together with similarities.Yeah, a lot of this stuff is super generic anime tropes more than a reference to a specific anime.

SteveCZ
Dec 11, 2016, 01:33 AM
Not even anime. Watch enough movies and you'll start to see similarities one to another. Could be a sign for some of us getting older and older that we've watched so many animes/movies to date. Personally, in the end I just enjoy anything with a happy ending whatever that is whether it's implicitly or explicitly a copy of whatever I can think of; on topic, at least this one isn't so obvious to me.

udon-GE
Dec 11, 2016, 01:50 AM
I expect they animate TD4 with those anime cast group for the last episode. Character talk to each other showing some TD4 tips wave by wave to anyone watching the anime as the episode story. But we got cheesy generic end instead.

Oh well, it is an ad anime for the game ;-;

Zysets
Dec 11, 2016, 02:36 AM
I expect they animate TD4 with those anime cast group for the last episode. Character talk to each other showing some TD4 tips wave by wave to anyone watching the anime as the episode story. But we got cheesy generic end instead.

Oh well, it is an ad anime for the game ;-;

I think that would have taken some more screen time than they wanted it too, but I would have really liked that too.

Was a bit disappointed that after the big talk about friendship, most of their friends just stayed behind anyways.

sol_trigger
Dec 11, 2016, 03:12 AM
and nobody believed me when i said PSO2A is shit after ep1 was aired

wefwq
Dec 11, 2016, 03:29 AM
Because it's generic to began with, people didn't even want to waste their time to make a big deal out of it.

and nobody believed me when i said PSO2A is shit after ep1 was aired
apologize

Zysets
Dec 11, 2016, 04:06 AM
I enjoyed the anime, but I also have very low expectations and like anything with Itsuki's voice actor, for the most part.

Kondibon
Dec 11, 2016, 06:04 AM
and nobody believed me when i said PSO2A is shit after ep1 was airedThe anime was Otaku baiting schlock compared to the episode 4 story... that's saying something. There's absolutely nothing wrong with enjoying it, but I don't think anyone sat around saying it was a masterpiece or anything... Who on earth didn't believe you, if not outright agree with you, besides those people who think the 3 episode thing is some sort of law of the universe?

I enjoyed the anime, but I also have very low expectations and like anything with Itsuki's voice actor, for the most part.Low expectations are basically the only reason I finished it.

SteveCZ
Dec 11, 2016, 06:55 AM
It's not bad, just okay. I ain't gonna say it's baiting Otaku either. It's like saying anime is for otaku only. It's specifically to get new players to play PSO2 along with the episode 4. Anyway this is getting off topic, lol.

Kondibon
Dec 11, 2016, 07:30 AM
I ain't gonna say it's baiting Otaku either. It's like saying anime is for otaku only.I think you misunderstood me. I'm not saying it's otaku bait because it's an anime. I'm saying it's otaku bait because of the presentation. :/ The only thing it's missing is a moeblob.

Armbrust
Dec 11, 2016, 07:39 AM
Not so much as stolen, but the references are definitively there. G-Gundam is a cultural touchstone in ota-culture and you can see multiple works parodying/referencing it. These kinds of referential nods are very common in animation, doesn't necessarily mean they're stolen.

Although, yeah, the PSO2 ending might have overdone it a bit.

Meteor Weapon
Dec 11, 2016, 07:40 AM
Excalibur rip off done wrong.

SteveCZ
Dec 11, 2016, 07:50 AM
... The only thing it's missing is a moeblob.

At least this one I can agree to make it true. LoL

TehCubey
Dec 11, 2016, 11:37 AM
If the PSO2 anime copied more plot from G Gundam, maybe it wouldn't be such a piece of crap.

Zorak000
Dec 11, 2016, 12:21 PM
I am pretty sure they were mostly just paying homage to it; copied would be more "they actually traced over g gundam frame-for-frame"