PDA

View Full Version : how much more life does pso have in it

Meta77
Jan 5, 2017, 02:25 PM
I've been gone awhile since about the music festival aka rare drop song days. How much more life does pso2 have in it. Is it worth getting back into it heavily? Will there be a pso 3 or will pso 2 basically become another doa5 in terms of updates of costumes?

Zysets
Jan 5, 2017, 02:54 PM
Sega said they wanted to keep PSO2 alive for at least a decade. It only just celebrated it's fourth anniversary.

Most ships aside from Ship 2 are very very crowded from what I understand, however, Ship 2 is still the one with the most dense english speaking community. Even with the lowest population, Ship 2 is still lively, there's always plenty of people on at all times.

Actually, Sega celebrated the highest number of concurrent connections to the game back in May/June.

Meta77
Jan 5, 2017, 03:09 PM
Is ship 2 less dense because of American players? That's where I originally joined under

Zysets
Jan 5, 2017, 03:35 PM
No way to tell, but I'd imagine that's the case.

It's still very very active though, there's still tons of both JP and English speaking players on Ship 2.

Selphea
Jan 5, 2017, 05:14 PM
Ship 2 is just right really, enough people for MPA parties, but few enough that you can log in.

Flaoc
Jan 5, 2017, 05:27 PM
less players is honestly nice.. more empty quiet blocks to do your thing in.. only issue i can see is items in the market sell faster on the more populated ships

otakun
Jan 5, 2017, 07:06 PM
The population of Ship 2 can't be that bad considering when big raid boss EQs happen the blocks always fill. The lag gets bad as it is, don't want to know what congested lag is like.

TheszNuts
Jan 6, 2017, 02:00 AM
Never forget Ship 4.
[spoiler-box]https://embed.gyazo.com/6ddcd3ffdedccf115bebaa9a342c1872.gif[/spoiler-box]

SteveCZ
Jan 6, 2017, 04:49 AM
Sadly, in ship 4, first mother EQ isn't as full as profound darkness last year.

Selphea
Jan 6, 2017, 05:28 AM
Ep4 worst ep 😂

Keilyn
Jan 6, 2017, 06:42 AM
I've been gone awhile since about the music festival aka rare drop song days. How much more life does pso2 have in it. Is it worth getting back into it heavily? Will there be a pso 3 or will pso 2 basically become another doa5 in terms of updates of costumes?

Others have provided Internal Answers.
I will give you an External Answer...

I always view how well a game does based on how its content updates compete with other games.
Some games run content updates which are seasonal and non-permanent.
Other games run content updates that just add a gametype to facilitate a small percentage of players.

Then we have the games that go all out, add a bit of everything... including permanent updates.

Sure, new games are coming out all the time and the hype on all of these games are always at an all-time high, but I like how a game develops. Its nice to see an update here and an update there, but I care about World Expansion and Character Expansion, and it feels to me that Sega has been trying to adapt PSO-2 to a much more casual base. They have been working more on retention and keeping shareholders happy through forcing endgamers to always depend on the latest EQ for just about anything.

I compare content updates from one game to another and see how a game has evolved. Between 2015 to present day, PSO-2 is a game I went back and forth to not knowing what to make of it outside of all the fashions and weapon models that are out there, but there are MMORPGs out in the market that in 2012 - 2016 I thought I would always despise and never give a second chance to, that actually performed a full turn around for me.

Picture a game that you never would give a second chance suddenly become a game that through updates is not just playable, but becomes a favorite game. This is what happened to me with three MMORPGs that I judged as being graded two Fs and a D, to suddenly the games being graded a B by me and now they are close to breaking into my top list of games played as A-Ranked games in my book... all due to updates.

I write this because since MMOs are long term games, it means that the launch is just there to generate mainstream first impressions, but the content updates over a long period of time are what truly make the game. PSO-2 is a game that overall I grade around a C, and what happens is that its updates make me push the game closer to a D, and I've hardly ever given this game a B rating. One of the reasons why is because when the seasonal updates are released simultaneously for most MMOs (Including PSO-2... which is one of the few things SEGA gets right... to release massive updates at the time other big companies release theirs) PSO-2 updates might be interesting and a welcome addition at times, but compared to the others games.... PSO-2 is usually somewhere around the middle to low. The only big update that I considered it to be on the upper end of things was when the Graphics Update was released and the game was released on PS4. However, as far as new content went, it had almost no real content compared to every other game released at its time.

For example
Its nice to get a map.....and a brand new area.... that is ran in usually one or two arks missions + the free mission and maybe a new EQ to the area. Its nice to see 3 - 8 new enemies in the area, but it does not compare to when at the very same time another game said in its update notes "Adding a new continent to the game, increasing the world size by a third, and adding two new classes" and another game said in its update notes "Added High Texture Resolutions for 4K Systems and fixed SLI. Rebalanced the classes and added four new dungeons, One New Raid, and Two new areas" and I was like "wow... 10 years ago, I would have paid for all of this through an expansion, now I'm getting expansion-level updates during the massive update schedule."

I wish that just once I can see a PSO-2 update compared to other games during massive seasonal update and with no doubt in my heart of mind say "This was the best update out of all games this update cycle." but that has never happened and it just pisses me off. ;(

otakun
Jan 6, 2017, 06:59 AM
Well, if we wanna compare the idea of content and updates to how well a game is doing then I throw the idea of how many other MMOs exist that give bi-weekly content updates? How many other MMOs release as much customization content? How many MMOs release monthly to bi-monthly gameplay updates?

I have never played an MMO that releases anywhere near the content as PSO2 does. Now, you can easily argue that the content added isn't important or as interesting as other MMOs do with their seasonal, annual or expansion updates which I can't argue with since that is mostly opinion based but I feel the constant addition of little content shows that they aren't giving up on the game anytime soon. Just gotta hope that Ep5 is more interesting then Ep4 has been though, to be fair, Ep4 has given us some good updates.

Raujinn
Jan 6, 2017, 08:53 AM
How many other MMOs release content that you can basically never play unless the developers roll some dice

Marynou
Jan 6, 2017, 11:39 AM
I dunno... I play several MOMs as well, and PSO2 has always surprised me at how much content it gives on a regular basis. We're talking new content every two weeks! They may be a few costumes and all, but we always have something new.

Most MMOs tend to release huge new packs with lots of stuff. PSO2 drops it every two weeks.

Ep4 is rather thin on content I'd say, but the solo portion is CHOKE FULL of videos and areas and whatnot. I think this is their new goal, the anime one, pleasing people Cong from the anime world, but it doesn't really work for old players. Anyway. PSO2 looks very popular to me, the servers are always full, the content keeps on coming... I dunno. It's still got a few years for sure.

On the other hand : the last three areas (Tokyo, Las Vegas and the Moon) are particularly ugly. As in looking very basic. The moon one especially makes me think of a slightly updated version of the moon from PS0. But Tokyo does take the cake. Empty, blocks streets. Yeah. Sure.

Halikus
Jan 6, 2017, 11:46 AM
Ship 2 is just right really, enough people for MPA parties, but few enough that you can log in.

I'm on ship4 which has the highest population and NEVER had issues logging in even on broadcast days. It will say congested/full but never once have I not gotten logged in, a good block however is another question, I have seen all blocks from XH to premium totally full on multiple occasions and spilling down into SH.

Flaoc
Jan 6, 2017, 12:01 PM
too long didn't read

http://grabilla.com/07106-be8c5779-61d2-4cca-b899-131211154ca7.png

starwind75043
Jan 6, 2017, 02:48 PM
Theres still enough story left to be told. There constantly adding things. (PVP Arena sometime this year ). But most importantly they are still making money off of it. I think its very realistic for them to hit there goal of 10 years.

Meta77
Jan 6, 2017, 07:12 PM
So if I got back into it would it be worth moving to say ship 4 or ship 2 still ok if this game is going to continue to move forward.

Zysets
Jan 6, 2017, 08:18 PM
So if I got back into it would it be worth moving to say ship 4 or ship 2 still ok if this game is going to continue to move forward.

Ship 2 is fine, it has the lowest population, but only compared to the rest, it's still very active and the game definitely has years of life in it regardless of ship.
If you want to play with english speakers, definitely Ship 2 though.

Masu
Jan 9, 2017, 12:17 PM
Making an arks league followed right away by a random Maggy...while you can't stop farming to save your actual league rank until the last minute, then you manage to catch a party (in "pro" block...) which start teleporter 11/12 and half of mpa quit after 2minutes just make me want this game to DIE RIGHT NOW...
/rant off

silo1991
Jan 9, 2017, 07:27 PM
IMO ep 4 give us great gameplay updates but bad artistic ones and of course im talking about earth and overall the sloth aesthetics of the phantoms ( i'm talking to you yamato as worst )

D-Inferno
Jan 9, 2017, 07:28 PM
I honestly don't think PSO2 will last ten years. Too much clutter, and flaws that have been present since it's launch. Probably will go down in 2018 or 19. Hopefully the Switch can positively influence the franchise (if it turns out to be a big hit anyway).

Raujinn
Jan 9, 2017, 11:18 PM
I think PSO2 will last the 10 years. Each update will add decent things as well as bizarrely questionable ones we'll all hate yet inexplicably make the game even more successful somehow.

Zysets
Jan 10, 2017, 01:10 AM
I honestly don't think PSO2 will last ten years. Too much clutter, and flaws that have been present since it's launch. Probably will go down in 2018 or 19. Hopefully the Switch can positively influence the franchise (if it turns out to be a big hit anyway).

In all honesty, it's bigger flaws aren't even that game breaking or frustrating. PSU had way bigger issues and it lasted a good 6 years, and even now PSO2 is raking in tons of money for Sega (It's been reported in Sega's financial documents as one of the biggest profit makers in downloadable games), it's gonna last a good long while.

And honestly, coming from PSO and PSU before it, PSO2 has honestly been the most fun online Phantasy Star title to date, as much as I loved playing PSOv2 on Dreamcast, that game was crap, objectively speaking.

I do wish we'd get another traditional single player RPG like the original series, but I'm good.

SolRiver
Jan 10, 2017, 07:13 AM
Considering that i just read ppl spending around $100 usd to get sg scratch stuff... I think the game is profitable enough to continue for awhile.

SteveCZ
Jan 10, 2017, 07:23 AM
It can take as long as it takes. )b

arokidaaron
Jan 10, 2017, 08:37 AM

Pretty sure it'll take longer, remember, PSO2 peaked around 150k players during it's current lifetime sometime around april. I don't think it'll even end in a year or 2 when there are still lots of players who play.