PDA

View Full Version : Burned with PSO2

Meteor Weapon
Mar 29, 2017, 09:36 AM
I hope I'm not the one who feels this way but...after spending years playing this game I feel like I'm burned out. Some of my friends even stopped playing the game. I feel like the contents are so bloated and rushed that I feel like I can't and don't have the will to get the content I want, not to mention a lot of things are time limited stuff that I can't do within my own pace plus half of the stuff are locked behind scheduled EQ causing miss to progress CF.

The non EQ CF stuff always for some reason progress so slowly I can't be bothered to do the same tedious quest over and over again. Well I dunno, I'm not even excited with the next EQ boss. Maybe I'm just lazy just to get things done in this game.Maybe EP5 will bring back what felt missing? Well I don't really know myself.

What's your guys opinion on feeling burned out with this game?

Kintama
Mar 29, 2017, 09:37 AM
But casuals, who will hold their toddler hands if they start catering to actual players? D:

TehCubey
Mar 29, 2017, 09:49 AM
But casuals, who will hold their toddler hands if they start catering to actual players? D:

Okay, let's make sure I have the terminology right.

Player who constantly tries to improve their gear, gets new CFs, upgrades NTs to +35 to unlock level 80 on all classes = casual
Player who got Austere once and now whines the game doesn't let them on expert blocks (even though 1. there was plenty of time and 2. austere weps haven't been top endgear for a long time) = hardcore

Sounds about right?

Kintama
Mar 29, 2017, 10:00 AM

Player who constantly tries to improve their gear, gets new CFs, upgrades NTs to +35 to unlock level 80 on all classes = casual
Player who got Austere once and now whines the game doesn't let them on expert blocks (even though 1. there was plenty of time and 2. austere weps haven't been top endgear for a long time) = hardcore

Sounds about right?

Uh, no, i was refering to the players with a red weapon for who sega balances the game by the very bottom so that they never die, get frustrated and dc.

Thing is, for equipment there is currently no actual incentive to go for endgame gear because the game doesn't reward power accumulation, if you go with endgame stuff, you're rewarded with the same old shit, except it ends a bit faster so you're stuck in the lobby longer.

TehCubey
Mar 29, 2017, 10:12 AM
Yeah, I'm sure all those players with red weapons and unaffixed units cleared solo PD and are regularly S- or A-ranking Necky TD.

MysticAura
Mar 29, 2017, 10:18 AM
Uh, no, i was refering to the players with a red weapon for who sega balances the game by the very bottom so that they never die, get frustrated and dc.

Thing is, for equipment there is currently no actual incentive to go for endgame gear because the game doesn't reward power accumulation, if you go with endgame stuff, you're rewarded with the same old shit, except it ends a bit faster so you're stuck in the lobby longer.

My solution would be to make the guess less about collecting and more about playing. Gear should be easy to get. Complete CF once and you get 60 element +35 weapon. Then give us more content to use those weapons on. Challenging content I would hope, but don't lock gear behind this content so people aren't frustrated by failure.

With the way PSO2 is set up now, I don't see this happening though.

Kintama
Mar 29, 2017, 10:23 AM
Yeah, I'm sure all those players with red weapons and unaffixed units cleared solo PD and are regularly S- or A-ranking Necky TD.

That's content they're not into, the content you're refering to is the bone sega throws "hardcore" players every six months to keep them around (solo PD, DF TA, XQ..)

Altiea
Mar 29, 2017, 11:16 AM
Sometimes you need to take a hiatus to get the feeling rolling again. I do that once in a while.

SteveCZ
Mar 29, 2017, 11:26 AM
Sometimes you need to take a hiatus to get the feeling rolling again. I do that once in a while.

This. Simple.

echofaith
Mar 29, 2017, 12:28 PM
Real meta is salon anyway c:

Subject Delta
Mar 29, 2017, 12:36 PM
Play a better game, seems pretty simple.

ralf542
Mar 29, 2017, 12:52 PM

Can confirm that hiatus helps.. After 2 years hiatus from FFXIV I still don't feel the need to play it even for free. And after 1 year hiatus from PSO2 i'm only logging in to get the free stuff(SG, ticket, etc.) cuz after max 30min I want to log out asap.

isCasted
Mar 29, 2017, 02:11 PM
My solution would be to make the guess less about collecting and more about playing. Gear should be easy to get. Complete CF once and you get 60 element +35 weapon. Then give us more content to use those weapons on. Challenging content I would hope, but don't lock gear behind this content so people aren't frustrated by failure.

This, absolutely. Element and grind cap ensure that actually getting something does not feel rewarding in itself, because you know you aren't close to getting done. If that thing is drop-only, it's pretty much useless; you practically hold it in your hands and know it won't help you in any way - it's a massive tease. Even if the thing comes from collection file, having to repeat the same series of objectives 3-6 times is a drag, it feels like job and not a game. Constantly having to solve new tasks is what makes games fun compared to your average work. It doesn't help that multiparty content devalues your own contribution to the progress, and so does time-gating.

As for true endgame content, I'd say the best way is to make it give everything more and faster, but nothing new. Slightly more Excubes/Lambdas/whatever, faster progress on collection files, some extra stones/materials etc.
Finally, the game severely lacks in ways to get meseta that would be fun for fully-geared characters.
Dailies and weeklies? Boring low-level content that's impossible to fail, with low reward that's really tiring after so many years.
Affix farming? Boring low-level content that's completely at mercy of RNG that gets sickening after 2 hours.
Market games? Not RNG, but heavily luck-based nonetheless. And also has nothing to do with core gameplay.
AC scratch? Just ugh. During the last 1.5 years or so SEGA ensured to do everything to make AC item prices bloated as shit.

Altiea
Mar 29, 2017, 03:45 PM
Can confirm that hiatus helps.. After 2 years hiatus from FFXIV I still don't feel the need to play it even for free. And after 1 year hiatus from PSO2 i'm only logging in to get the free stuff(SG, ticket, etc.) cuz after max 30min I want to log out asap.

I meant a hiatus where you actually come back to the game later...

My recommendation would probably be to just stop playing until EP5 drops.

FantasyHeaven
Mar 29, 2017, 03:58 PM
I constantly get burned out of this game becuase it literally has 0 content and a constant drought going on for years now.
That said I also come back because in the end it still has the best gameplay out of any recent MMO I've played. I like to do the TDs just for fun and don't even care about drops anymore. I haven't finished a CF in months
Too bad the gameplay is wasted on all the recent awful content outside TDs. Last quest that was really fun outside them was Magatsu on release (not so much anymore but it was good when people didn't know what to do).

otakun
Mar 29, 2017, 04:01 PM
Real meta is salon anyway c:

So this. If you ain't about the fashion might as well stop playing. lol

Lumpen Thingy
Mar 29, 2017, 04:47 PM
Play a better game, seems pretty simple.
Why not name him better games where you do the same shit?

GHNeko
Mar 29, 2017, 06:47 PM
So this. If you ain't about the fashion might as well stop playing. lol

i aint about fashion and i've been playing this game for years with no signs of burn out in sight. :thinking:

the most i've spent on an accessory is 2.5mil.

my aesthetic purchases across both female and male characters have never gone above like 4mil in a single purchase? maybe less.

tho the reasons i play this game are very different than most.

otakun
Mar 29, 2017, 07:07 PM
i aint about fashion and i've been playing this game for years with no signs of burn out in sight. :thinking:

the most i've spent on an accessory is 2.5mil.

my aesthetic purchases across both female and male characters have never gone above like 4mil in a single purchase? maybe less.

tho the reasons i play this game are very different than most.

Technically with rereleases and recolors you could easily get away with new outfits every week and not spend more then a mil. So, most of what you say is pointless. Also, it was mostly a joke.

Golgotha
Mar 29, 2017, 08:28 PM
I started to fall asleep during TAs somewhere back in Episode 2 or even first one? Back when you could run all of them daily. It was then that I realized something and never played Pso2 when I didn't feel like it since then.

I play about hour or two a day. Sometimes skip day or two to play other games / do other hobbies.
Never partaking in emergencies if that requires logging in outside of usual time, even if I know they're happening.
Right now the activity roster is fairly rich for me, I could do featured quests, sometimes run a few AQ for Collection files if needed, then fiddle with equipment, este booth and crafting, that's enough to cover those few hours.

It will sound incredibly plain, but you could only play when you actually want to, not when the arms race compels you to. Progress is marginal, your experience is what matters the most.

morkie
Mar 29, 2017, 09:34 PM
still waiting for a new mmo same like this

loafhero
Mar 29, 2017, 10:05 PM
Nothing wrong with taking a break from an MMO after feeling burnt by it. In fact, I'd say its more mentally healthy to start taking a break from PSO2 after reaching that burn point.

Totori
Mar 29, 2017, 11:21 PM
Yeah, after somewhat sticking with this game for it's lifespan. I can somewhat agree, I have a serious case of burn out. I feel extremely lost, and trying to follow the content flow doesn't really make the game any clearer to me.

The new CF is a nice aspect, but the whole expiring thing isn't friendly for people who have busy lifestyles (Or just can't work with the EQ schedule, SEGA sticks to for most of them), and it's a real bummer that you have to make sure to gather multiple of the same weapon, by either hunting relentlessly, or using SG. The whole grind cap item is so scarce, and expensive. Depending on how often you play, buying that isn't really viable.

If you aren't currently caught up with endgame, trying to pick yourself up just isn't rewarding in the slightest, it's tedious, but that's really all this game is is a massive timesink (all MMO's are) but it's one that doesn't give the proper reward for that amount of time it can request from you.

If you wanna get into this game, trying taking a break, maybe a few months after EP5? If not, it's prolly time to move on.

Xaelouse
Mar 30, 2017, 04:46 AM
It's hard to drop this game when so many other games after 2013 are boring tripe as well

Ryuhou
Mar 30, 2017, 04:48 AM
I hope I'm not the one who feels this way but...after spending years playing this game I feel like I'm burned out. Some of my friends even stopped playing the game. I feel like the contents are so bloated and rushed that I feel like I can't and don't have the will to get the content I want, not to mention a lot of things are time limited stuff that I can't do within my own pace plus half of the stuff are locked behind scheduled EQ causing miss to progress CF.

The non EQ CF stuff always for some reason progress so slowly I can't be bothered to do the same tedious quest over and over again. Well I dunno, I'm not even excited with the next EQ boss. Maybe I'm just lazy just to get things done in this game.Maybe EP5 will bring back what felt missing? Well I don't really know myself.

The game has huge wasted potential and Sega is determined to ruin it with every new update. Time to accept that and move on.
I was on hiatus for 7-8 months cause I was hella burned out and when I was just trying out Sakura Endo Type 0 I actually had fun again, though I thought I'd need a longer break.
For about a month I'm enjoying the game again and play every day.

So, take a long break and do some other stuff. When you get back the game won't be much better, but you can probably ignore the flaws again for a while and have fun again.

Misaki Ki
Mar 30, 2017, 10:05 AM
My main issue with the game is that most of the ways to progress are locked behind something. I can't exactly log in when I want to and work towards the things I need. You are forced to play on the times Sega wants you to. To top it all off, a lot of things lately are seasonal with weapons that you aren't really able to get when the related EQ is gone.

Ezodagrom
Mar 30, 2017, 11:11 AM

Sounds about right?
Austere may not be the very best anymore, but they're still pretty high tier weapons.
The requirement for the lvl 80 cap and for accessing expert blocks is just stupid, especially when weaker 13* weapons such as the 2016 and 2017 badge shop weapons are okay and Austere are not.

A requirement that would have made more sense, to either have a +10, latent 3, 60 element old style 13* weapon or a +30 or higher, 60 element NT 13* weapon (and in the case of summoner, a 60 element pet with a fully complete candy box, instead of lvl 120 pet, with the current requirement there's nothing stopping a summoner with a lvl 120 pet, 10 element and empty candy box going to expert blocks).

Skornedemon
Mar 30, 2017, 11:46 AM
I have taken a few breaks from this game. Something this game does, is putting out content without reviewing old content, least not very good.
Hopefully we can all be rational and I can keep this brief upon saying this.

The Balance in this game, for starters, is completely ridiculous. You have Guren Bravers bouncing around in top tier, with a few other builds. Ive tried to make a hunter on equal terms, using hunter weapons, but it is impossible. The mobility, the Invincibility, and the damage all combined. This is just Katana Bravers as well, there are plenty of other balancing issues. As stated many times in this topic, the expert block requirements are ridiculous. I'm fine for having them, but denying people that have had the gear, and have been waiting, only to be told 'nah fam new type only' is ... there are no words. Nice Austere, but even if it's considered one of the best weapons, you'll have to get a new type weapon :) :). I went and farmed the white day 13* just to get the level cap unlock, so this isnt a personal problem its a view of someone who HAS met the criteria.

Off of that, onto another. Ultimate Quests are basically worthless to run, most quests are. In most games, the reward wouldn't be as obnoxious to obtain, or would be more worth while to farm. Instead this game's balance is completely out of sync. What's that, this new weapon for this brand new content is amazing? well goodbye literally any other quest in the game.

I wont completely crap on this game, there's a reason I still play and enjoy it. The combat feels nice for an MMO, the customization is UNRIVALED. At the end of the day I feel like it's more of the players being disappointed because this game could EASILY be the best MMO there is, all the steps are there, but they're all spiraling in different directions.

Kintama
Mar 30, 2017, 12:11 PM
I wont completely crap on this game, there's a reason I still play and enjoy it. The combat feels nice for an MMO, the customization is UNRIVALED. At the end of the day I feel like it's more of the players being disappointed because this game could EASILY be the best MMO there is, all the steps are there, but they're all spiraling in different directions.

Yeah, definitely, add to the list of flaws that the game doesn't let itself escape from the shitty mobile model of super small maps with very limited content, hell, they even nerfed featured quests further, now they feel pre-masticated.

RadiantLegend
Mar 31, 2017, 08:39 AM
I was going to take a break but Lv 80 has me entertained for a while.

Keilyn
Apr 4, 2017, 08:33 AM

Maybe you should take a walk on a wild side and try to enjoy the game instead of feeling that the only way enjoyment will come is by living up to the expectations and pressure drawn upon by others to feel good about yourself. After all, Isn't it "Fun" to treat a game as "work" and turn it into a mundane task they call "Fun" and repeated on a daily basis? That is the sense of "adventure" that people have come to expect right?

Playing an Online Game like this is like getting into a relationship. You get to know the person and become comfortable and familiar with the person; possibly addicted to the person as well. However, when the game updates and starts to change; you are forced to change with it, otherwise risk falling out. One can love a game, but that doesn't mean the game is going to love you back.

My rule for playing games is that if the GAME itself can't satisfy me, I search for something else.
But what about the people and relationships here?

Sure, what about them?
All games have people and possibilities at relationships!

One of the reasons I hardly post here is due to how toxic things are here. Its amazing how I have a second account registered here and when I roleplayed myself as a weak-minded fool, who agreed with everything people said, I had a nice filled friendlist and even when I asked people who I should avoid like the plague... Look no further than big, bad, idiotic, evil wolf Keilyn popping up everywhere! I was amazed at discovering the sheer level of condescending and two-faced people who tried to be "kind" to me, while telling my other account to avoid me.

Amazing how a lie (making a second account) told me more truths than asking people for honesty, and that I had to resort to that in order to see how people truly were in this place.

Maybe the people who are burning you out the most are the people who are closest to you; who you feel might be the kindest people around, but deep down if you don't live to their standards (or your own reputation), out you go like yesterday's trash. Perhaps completely stepping out of this game and taking a good hard look at yourself might give you some answers you are looking for.

Dark Emerald EXE
Apr 4, 2017, 08:43 AM
I had a 4 month hiatus (around the time FFXIV collab/ Odin LQ) came out....was more of personal issue but I figured I should stop playing to get mind right.

As of yet while there has been....slow moments....the game hasn't quite "bored" me to the point of stop playing. I may lower my amount of time played but not stop completely.... maybe I'm just a casual watcher because I didn't mind Episode 4s story.... I prefer that over Shironia's story.....but that simply opinion so :P

The game hasn't become White Beast S2 yet for me :P (PSU Reference)

Korima
Apr 17, 2017, 07:55 PM
I returned after a year and after I finished the episode 4, which mostly I skipped most of the scenes, I decided to see what EQ the game has to offer, one has a first part with the incredible annoying vehicle from the Las Vegas Section and the boss part don't feels something unique, but well it was only one mission let's see Mining Base VR? Okay let's try, so it is the same Mining Base with recycled enemies instead of "All dark enemies" well... not that bad but let's see more... Mining Base Demise? again? Raging the Dark Arms? for god's sake... Okay my character is 75/75 and I heard you can level up to 80 now, let's see how... HOLY SHIT NT to 35?, farm and farm again doing the same content again and again? No thanks.

SteveCZ
Apr 17, 2017, 08:09 PM
I returned after a year and after I finished the episode 4, which mostly I skipped most of the scenes, I decided to see what EQ the game has to offer, one has a first part with the incredible annoying vehicle from the Las Vegas Section and the boss part don't feels something unique, but well it was only one mission let's see Mining Base VR? Okay let's try, so it is the same Mining Base with recycled enemies instead of "All dark enemies" well... not that bad but let's see more... Mining Base Demise? again? Raging the Dark Arms? for god's sake... Okay my character is 75/75 and I heard you can level up to 80 now, let's see how... HOLY SHIT NT to 35?, farm and farm again doing the same content again and again? No thanks.

There's PvP (Battle Arena) if you haven't tried that.

Lumpen Thingy
Apr 17, 2017, 10:45 PM

yeah its so hard to get +35 13 stars when collection files and NPCs just give that shit out like candy

Flaoc
Apr 17, 2017, 11:17 PM
to be fair when npcs arent around cf's generally take some time to get to +35 and you have to deal with non expert blocks which are really really bad

Meteor Weapon
Apr 17, 2017, 11:29 PM
Grind and repetitive wise, how does PSO2 compare to the old PSO?

oratank
Apr 17, 2017, 11:53 PM
to be fair when npcs arent around cf's generally take some time to get to +35 and you have to deal with non expert blocks which are really really bad

the real extra hard block:roll:

qoxolg
Apr 18, 2017, 04:08 AM

I decided to pop PSO1 ver2 in my Dreamcast again a while back, so I am sure I am not looking trough rose colored glasses.

Is PSO1 repetitive? Hell yes it was. I guess it was comparable, though PSO1 didn't have a MMO structure in terms of drip feed. I did take regular breaks from PSO1.

Hysteria1987
Apr 18, 2017, 04:34 AM

It was grindy, but it felt more entertaining. The quests had more going on in them, and the rare drop rate was harder. If you wanted something, you had to go out and get it - you didn't have people sitting around and only playing set events (EQs).

Levelling towards the end was a lot harder, though.

Korima
Apr 18, 2017, 07:05 AM
yeah its so hard to get +35 13 stars when collection files and NPCs just give that shit out like candy

What? collection files? do you mean that thing you have to farm enemies in a grindy way? and what Npcs are you talking about? the ones that appears only in events and gives you only one? because that isn't for sure "give that shit out like candy" in fact when I returned yesterday, I checked the lv cap it is out for a month and a lot of players are still in lv75 so I doubt this is easy.

ralf542
Apr 18, 2017, 09:29 AM

Since CF gives them out like candy, i have to ask are willing to get me 6 Katana and 6 Dual Blade from current CF when I give you my login info?

While i wait for your answer i'm going to do the NPC client orders that give out Katanas, Bows, Dual Blades and Jet Boots like candy.

Z-0
Apr 18, 2017, 09:31 AM
I don't think people mind a grind, the issue is that every grind is literally a chore that's just simply not fun in PSO2. Collection Files are, in fact, the greatest example of this and should never have been implemented in the first place.

To get a 13* now, you play a certain quest 5 times, then kill some enemies about 20 times, then jump to another quest and kill 50 of another, then get your last time finishing off with 3 of a certain boss. To me, that sounds like a typical MMO grind, and not really "playing" PSO2 and all it has to offer.

The problem is, the entire game is guided like this. There is no just zipping down to areas anymore in hopes of some dank rares to obtain that you can use or trade to other people. Everything comes from orders, collect files, scheduled emergency quests -- once you're at the level cap, there is nothing to do of your own volition if you want to feel like you're making progress on your characters.

In comparison to the original PSO, this wasn't the case. There was no such thing as client orders at all, no system to give out rares by jumping across different quests and killing a few enemies in each. Every area (and most IDs) had some nice drops to get as you played, and everything was a free market meaning you could just play what you found fun to be able to make progress on your char, as there were no real EXP grinds either (while there were the boss rushes, they weren't that far ahead of just playing and you never got any gear doing that). The free market and everything being tradeable meant everything was worthwhile to every player, as if you didn't need it, you gave it to someone who did and earned currency or an item you actually wanted.

I haven't played PSO2 in a while because it pretty much dictates what you have to do to make progress, and I don't like that at all. In fact, I've gone back to the original PSOBB (http://ephinea.pioneer2.net), because it's a game designed to be played anytime, anywhere and at your own leisure, rather than constantly having to play catch up and currency farm, in which case you need to wait for the right time to play anyway (either an EQ or waiting for things to reset).

Sakai has complained that the playerbase in PSO2 has been declining because of players being "elitist" and new players aren't staying, but I think that's a cop out. The reason people aren't staying is because everything in PSO2 is a chore now. There are no real events that really showcase the game, and players aren't free to simply progress when they choose and how they choose, because if you don't follow Sakai's guide to playing, you don't get anywhere and simply feel unsatisfied.

Altiea
Apr 18, 2017, 09:54 AM
I suppose they should make regular Quests worth grinding; outside of UQ Amduscia, there isn't anything readily available that's worth doing because you don't really get anything good from it. The only reason to play normal Quests nowadays is to either grind out CF or do Featured.

Personally, I try avoid burning out by just hopping in for EQs and TACOs, and getting on my lower level characters once in a while. You still get to enjoy the game without having it feel super grindy all the time, and you get to do other things in the internim.

And if that fails, I just take a break and hop onto Nova. I'm a huge Phantasy Star Nova fan.

Although I should probably look for my copy of Zero, that was a great game.

Akakomuma
Apr 18, 2017, 11:14 AM
snip

Agree so hard it hurts. However, I think the very foundation of this game is flawed and it would require a complete rework for it to appeal to the masses outside of just fashion and action based gameplay. Below are a lot of the issues I have with this game.

-Rares dropping like candy
-No real incentive to play as a team or stick together
-So many moves are worthless in the grand scheme of things
-The focus on EQ's makes casuals never want to play until certain times

-EQ's such as the Dark Falz ones just turn the game into a spamfest of lul kill Dark Arms in 1 minute or less, or whichever other boss in 5 mins or less and there's so many people on your team that you really don't have to contribute much. I also feel it cheapens the experience of big boss battles.

-The levels can be skipped by just running past everything which hurts several aspects of the game such as boss importance, drops, and the feeling of beating a level.

-All of the things that tend to be added to the game to give it more depth just end up feeling like a nuisance and not that rewarding. If you're gonna have a crafting system, it needs to be at launch and far better designed so that it becomes a way to profit.

-All. Of. The. Inventory. Spam. Just playing the game is constantly rewarding with things that don't really feel like rewards cause you are spammed with them throughout runs like Mining Base. They would need to tone down all the etc items they give us so that they feel more valuable and might actually be worth something.

-No real incentive for casual players to not be using their 10* 11* 12* since there aren't gear requirements in this game to complete missions. Not only that, but they are more than serviceable.

PSO2 has fun combat at a basic level, but as time goes on you start to realize how shallow the game really is. Moves you wish you could use but can't cause...why would you when they suck so much? No real sense of team work designed into the games core, things made far too easy, no content that actually feels hardcore and truly rewarding if you win. In all honesty, I'm someone who values gameplay over fashion, but even I ended up playing the game namely for fashion as time went on. Not because It's my most favorite thing, but because the game is so damn boring and that the most 'depthful' part of the game is the fashion due to all the options and how heavily they focus on releasing so many outfits to sell stuff with their F2P MMO.

Once I got to that point and I realized I was spending money just to dress up my character, I stopped playing because there was no real fun left for me to be had that I hadn't already experienced over and over and over already with the same repetitive EQ, combat, and stage design.

qoxolg
Apr 18, 2017, 11:18 AM
In comparison to the original PSO, this wasn't the case. There was no such thing as client orders at all, no system to give out rares by jumping across different quests and killing a few enemies in each. Every area (and most IDs) had some nice drops to get as you played, and everything was a free market meaning you could just play what you found fun to be able to make progress on your char, as there were no real EXP grinds either (while there were the boss rushes, they weren't that far ahead of just playing and you never got any gear doing that). The free market and everything being tradeable meant everything was worthwhile to every player, as if you didn't need it, you gave it to someone who did and earned currency or an item you actually wanted.

I haven't played PSO2 in a while because it pretty much dictates what you have to do to make progress, and I don't like that at all. In fact, I've gone back to the original PSOBB (http://ephinea.pioneer2.net), because it's a game designed to be played anytime, anywhere and at your own leisure, rather than constantly having to play catch up and currency farm, in which case you need to wait for the right time to play anyway (either an EQ or waiting for things to reset).

This so much! PSO1 was always exciting to play. Sure you would get burned out, because there isn't a whole lot of content, but each time I picked it up, I always got excited and made plans to do some rare hunting, some EXP grinding, etc. You always felt like that SJS could drop from that Gi Gue. Now in PSO2 the drops themselves are so random there is no point in hunting, because the chance of finding the drop you want is non existent. The only thing you can get is CF, which makes the game a boring bore fest. There is not even excitement about finding a rare in this game, because you need to find at least TWO of them for the element grind. On top of that, the gear gets completely drip needed with minor improvements and boring potentials.

Then there is the difference in quest content. PSO1 quests could actually take you an hour to get trough them when you are not OP. The maps were recognisable with all kinds of interesting rooms and spawn combinations. Enemies in normal mode PSO1 are more aggressive and dangerous then the ones in PSO2. Combat in PSO1 felt more in dept in terms of actually timing your attacks, and switching weapons. In PSO2 you just push the 'win' (read: PA) button and switching weapons is like wut? PSO1 was not perfect, but it sure did some core things lots better.

I regularly take breaks from PSO2 and it stays fun that way, but no way I can play this game for a full year anymore. PSO3 can't come soon enough for me.

Zeroem
Apr 18, 2017, 12:10 PM
I was about to say something about how PSO2 fucked up on progression sense, then real life fuck me harder and made me appreciate every moment in PSO2, even if it's juat a full TACO session or a boring CF grinding session.

But seriously, there's nothing wrong in burning out of something. Another thing that I feel need to be realized by others, is that there's nothing wrong with burned out. Just like when your hand hurts from doing monotonous actions repeatedly, playing the same game over and over can make you burned out faster. Either play something else until you feel like PSO2 again, or find something else in the game that make your gaming experience bright again. Like socializing. What differenciate between online games and offline games is the ability to communicate with others far away from your location. Why not use it?

I was lucky to have someone in PSO2 that make the experience greater (even though it's just me helping her finish her CF or just chatting for 3+ hours).

The point of playing game are to have fun. When you're forcing yourself to play, it's no longer a game. It's a work.

Ezodagrom
Apr 18, 2017, 12:29 PM
I feel that PSO1 and even PSU did more with less.

We have all these areas with so many different map variations due to how they're randomly generated but in the end they all feel the same.

We have this huge list of quests, but, with some of these quests being severely outdated, some just having no point to them, and emergency quests (especially scheduled ones) being the only content really worth doing, PSO2 could really use alot of streamlining when it comes to quests.

In my opinion, ideally they would remove all the bloat (arks quests, free fields, advance quests, time attack quests, ultimate quests, riding quest, emergency quests that aren't bosses, mining base or seasonal) and replace them with just 2 quests per area (every area, including those not easily available currently):
- 4 players not-randomized quest with a set structure (long areas, area 1, area 2, mini boss as the last spawn on area 2, boss on area 3).
- 12 players randomized quest (one area, points or time based, field specific gimmicks such as rideroid).

Of course changes like these are never gonna happen, this alone wouldn't fix everything and there's no way they would remove quests at all, but, it's nice to dream?

Touka
Apr 18, 2017, 01:55 PM
A lot of valid points really.As my friend and I have often discussed there's no real "meat on the bone" for PSO 2 atm.It's either run EQ's do file work tacos or dailies and that's pretty much it.

I kind of get why Sega focuses on new content but that's pretty much ALL they focus on.Sadly apparent when they can't figure out why Ultimate died.There is little to no reason to do anything outside of what I mentioned and it does get dull after a while.Can only hope episode 5 brings a significant meta shift but I think its best just to expect disappointment from Sega.

red1228
Apr 18, 2017, 02:43 PM
[SPOILER-BOX]I don't think people mind a grind, the issue is that every grind is literally a chore that's just simply not fun in PSO2. Collection Files are, in fact, the greatest example of this and should never have been implemented in the first place.

To get a 13* now, you play a certain quest 5 times, then kill some enemies about 20 times, then jump to another quest and kill 50 of another, then get your last time finishing off with 3 of a certain boss. To me, that sounds like a typical MMO grind, and not really "playing" PSO2 and all it has to offer.

The problem is, the entire game is guided like this. There is no just zipping down to areas anymore in hopes of some dank rares to obtain that you can use or trade to other people. Everything comes from orders, collect files, scheduled emergency quests -- once you're at the level cap, there is nothing to do of your own volition if you want to feel like you're making progress on your characters.

Sakai has complained that the playerbase in PSO2 has been declining because of players being "elitist" and new players aren't staying, but I think that's a cop out. The reason people aren't staying is because everything in PSO2 is a chore now. There are no real events that really showcase the game, and players aren't free to simply progress when they choose and how they choose, because if you don't follow Sakai's guide to playing, you don't get anywhere and simply feel unsatisfied[/SPOILER-BOX].

I do agree with most of this (although I question the statement of " ...Every area (and most IDs) had some nice drops to get as you played... ", that sounds way too good to be true. I have a hard time believing any/all drops from anywhere were always useful. IT SHOULD BE NOTED THAT I DID NOT PLAY PSO1 OR BLUE BURST, so pardon my disbelief & feel free to politely enlighten me... because if that's actually true that you could trade/sell ANYthing, then WTF sega we need that in PSO2 like four years ago!).

However, I don't think Collection Files are inherently bad, just poorly implemented (like the majority of ideas / concepts Sega has).

Sure they made getting current / relevant gear a chore, but its still a guarantee. I'm not aiming this at anyone specific, but I think an unfavorable number of players are biased when it comes to their own personal luck in this game. Just because someone doesn't have '___Weapon' doesn't automatically mean they haven't been spending hours/days/weeks trying to farm it (although it is possible that they gave up after only a few attempts, but the argument some players have of "Farm More / Luck Harder" is not valid).
My first 13* weapon was a Xie 2015 gold badge weapon (when a large number of other players had fully maxed & superior Ares 13* weapons) and that was only because I amassed some 2000+ Gold Badges from spamming the HELL out of the Limited Quest at the time. I never did finish my Ideal Knuckles either because the amount of bad players (myself only being average / competent) I was always grouped with in Challenge Mode did NOT make the amount of points gained / effort worth grinding it up. The whole "Sit there for 15-30minutes before EACH RUN to dictate roles, because of a language barrier" also didn't help.

I not sure how I would "Fix" Collection Files to appease everyone (maybe stop locking certain kills behind EQs & allow you to farm kills from anywhere?), but I definitely wouldn't want them removed completely.

yoshiblue
Apr 18, 2017, 03:07 PM
I'd retract the "Will never see them again" statement and give them a chance to show up on a weekly or monthly rotation. Likewise, I would also put costumes on rotation in the costume shop, eyes and makeup on rotation in the item shop, finally shoulder; arm and leg accessories on rotation in the unit shop. That or make that the place to pick up unit collection files. Simply just to give it reason to still exist. If not that, then rare affixes on rotation in those units.

EvilMag
Apr 18, 2017, 03:08 PM
The issue with collection files is gating progress on them behind EQs and them expiring. This whole limited time bullshit Sega's been doing with Ep4 is whats killing the game. People are burning out really quick just so they can get the gear before its pretty much gone. You cannot depend of just getting these as drops due to the god awful drop system in this game.

CFs expiring is seriously why I prefer stones. Just make stone grind less grindy and there you go. Tokyo as much I hated the area had good ideas when it came to the stone grind for that.

Altiea
Apr 18, 2017, 03:40 PM
The issue with collection files is gating progress on them behind EQs and them expiring. This whole limited time bullshit Sega's been doing with Ep4 is whats killing the game. People are burning out really quick just so they can get the gear before its pretty much gone. You cannot depend of just getting these as drops due to the god awful drop system in this game.

CFs expiring is seriously why I prefer stones. Just make stone grind less grindy and there you go. Tokyo as much I hated the area had good ideas when it came to the stone grind for that.

So Revolucio and Aura files don't exist?

EvilMag
Apr 18, 2017, 03:53 PM
you mean the CFs they had to revive cause of this issue? Aura isn't a bad grind I can give it that but only a few weapon types got an Aura. Revo can be bitchy due to not getting the boss you want at the end of SHAQs. Issue with both of those is you'll need to play BA if you want the pots that are important.

Altiea
Apr 18, 2017, 03:54 PM
you mean the CFs they had to revive cause of this issue? Aura isn't a bad grind I can give it that but only a few weapon types got an Aura. Revo can be bitchy due to not getting the boss you want at the end of SHAQs. Issue with both of those is you'll need to play BA if you want the pots that are important.

You make it sound like Arena is a bad thing. Unless you happen to dislike Arena.

EvilMag
Apr 18, 2017, 03:55 PM
You make it sound like Arena is a bad thing. Unless you happen to dislike Arena.

I honestly don't. There are some people that may not like it and that can be a turn off to them.

Altiea
Apr 18, 2017, 03:58 PM
I honestly don't. There are some people that may not like it and that can be a turn off to them.

That's true. I think it would be better to state that the good relevant weapons are EQ gated.

EvilMag
Apr 18, 2017, 04:00 PM
That's true. I think it would be better to state that the good relevant weapons are EQ gated.
Oh most def. I do like for Aura that if the LQ you need is not up, you can still complete by other means. I just wish all CFs were like that.

Zulastar
Apr 18, 2017, 04:33 PM
If I don't get any 14* till my 3 month prem ends I'll just quit...

Altiea
Apr 18, 2017, 04:52 PM
If I don't get any 14* till my 3 month prem ends I'll just quit...

That's driving a hard bargain, considering the rarity of 14s.

TehCubey
Apr 18, 2017, 05:07 PM
Anyone who quits, make sure to post a video like Maenara did.

ashley50
Apr 18, 2017, 05:12 PM
That would be awesome.

loafhero
Apr 18, 2017, 09:13 PM
Yeah, the real problem with the CF's for me isn't that its grindy (I'm somehow much more okay with PSO2's grind than any other MMO) but that in some of the CFs, you're required to kill a specific enemy that only appears in specific limited events. Limiting a player's options like that is infuriating.

The alternative I see to make this more bearable is if they make it possible to fill up the respective bars in a File by killing another enemy type that can be found in other quests NOT gated by a time schedule. The catch would be that the percentage you gain from killing the alternate enemy type is much lower than the main enemy type the File actually wants you to kill.

Legen
Apr 20, 2017, 03:22 PM
Someone once said you should approach PSO2 as a gameplay-based game that happens to have RPG elements on it. If you play it with the reverse approach, you'll get burned somewhere in the endgame.

I think it's accurate, most of the complaints are about the RPG parts of the game. The gameplay is varied in the weapon/tech choices, and you can use the RPG elements to adjust the gameplay. It's also my experience that less geared players sometimes outpace more gerared ones due to their improved gameplay, and the community doesn't lack videos showing someone using a class's options in creative and effective ways.

It may be that you would benefit from experimenting a different weapon/class, to change the gameplay to something that suits your playstyle better and that gives you something to aspire.

NightfallG
Apr 21, 2017, 07:35 AM
Getting burnt out is understandable considering the entire EQ system is set up in such a way that it makes Second Life in Space into a job.

I wonder if Japanese teens and NEETs enjoy being on the clock for a video game sword.

Lyrise
Apr 21, 2017, 08:34 AM
I really doubt it. The Japanese complaining about the randomness of EM appearances is what got us this scheduling in the first place. They would probably change it again if there were enough complaints, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

Suggestion: Use the ongoing survey to fire back.

Ziel
Apr 21, 2017, 09:05 AM

Ah yes, im still struggling with the revolution rifle that asks for lv71+ zesh kills for it to progress so i could finally level to 80 because Half the scheduled eqs are mid my working hours so i focefully miss them and the expiration date fucks me when im in the +33/+34 tiers of the weapon,the only reliable source i´ve found for said enemy is Advanced Quest, which requires 10 caps+risk, my only reliable source so far of said caps because buying them directly is bullshittingly overpriced is casino, which is stupidly rigged in some cases (fk you arkuma slots) or pvp coins either that or grind other AQs to get the required caps.

Thats 4 chained grinds of casino/pvp/AQ that drop needed caps->AQ to risk and farm (which resets mind you)->CF to get the file weapon 4 more times and THEN i can grind exp to lv 80.

Now do tell me, if that chain doest need more burn heals than tackling a magmar to death then give me a better example.

Altiea
Apr 21, 2017, 09:06 AM
Ah yes, im still struggling with the revolution rifle that asks for lv71+ zesh kills for it to progress so i could finally level to 80, which its only reliable source i´ve found is limited quest, which requires 10 caps+risk, my only reliable source so far of said caps because buying them directly is bullshittingly overpriced is casino, which is stupidly rigged in some cases (fk you arkuma slots) or pvp coins either that or grind other LQs to get the required caps.

Thats 4 chained grinds of casino/pvp/LQ that drop needed caps->LQ to risk and farm (which resets mind you)->CF to get the file weapon 4 more times and THEN i can grind exp to lv 80.

Now do tell me, if that chain doest need more burn heals than tackling a magmar to death then give me a better example.

Farm for caps in another AQ? Unless you happen to just have no caps in general, which is... unusual.

Also make sure you fly with friends to make more enemies spawn, so you can farm more caps and get more bosses.

And if you have no friends or Teammates to do AQs with, you can ask here.

Ziel
Apr 21, 2017, 09:42 AM
Im doing that exactly but its still a stupid chain grind that could be solved by simply adding ruins XH free field, isnt it?

Altiea
Apr 21, 2017, 09:46 AM
Im doing that exactly but its still a stupid chain grind that could be solved by simply adding ruins XH free field, isnt it?

I think we just have to accept that XH isn't coming to Free Fields. Except Kuron. Besides, I'm pretty sure Revolucio was made to be harder than Aura, but the main draw is the ability to do the file without an EQ.

Isn't Aura better than Revolucio, though?

Priest
Apr 21, 2017, 10:08 AM
I wish I could just relive the beta > release time period where every new piece of content was exciting. Miss those old friends too who all disappeared.. The burn-out was real.