PDA

View Full Version : Brainstorming an alternative control scheme for the game's ballooning movesets

Zyrusticae
Apr 5, 2017, 02:02 PM
I've always wanted the game to have a more traditional character action game-style control scheme, and this thread is dedicated to exploring the idea. Obviously, this is a largely meaningless exercise that will never see development in an actual game. I'm just doing it for funzies. Maybe PSO3 will move in this direction?

Rangers and casters can stay the way they are - honestly, I have a hard time imagining how else they can function. (Maybe someone more clever than me can figure something out.)

Let's start with notation:

Only two buttons - let's call them A for light attacks, and B for heavy attacks. Pretty simple, right? Since this isn't a 2D fighting game, there's no need for directional inputs, either, so I'll just type those out. Nice thing about this control scheme is freeing up buttons for other uses.

So, as an example, here's what I envision the katana moveset looking like:

A, A, A - Basic light attack chain, same as it is in-game
(in air) A, A, A, B - Air basic light attack chain that ends with a new knockback/space clearing attack
B, B, B - A brand-new heavy attack chain that ends with a strong knockback; cannot be used in the air; high DPS, but unsafe
Jump+B, B - Tsukimi-Sazanka followed by Gekka-Zakuro
A+B(hold) - Kazan-Nadeshiko
aB - A slide input for Fudou-Kuchinashi
Flick stick toward enemy+A - A new parry move that is what katana uses in place of Just Guard (yes, I'm blatantly stealing this from Metal Gear Rising); the block button would be replaced with the Katana Combat trigger
Flick stick toward enemy+B(hold) - Hatou-Rindou
A(hold) - Kanran-Kikyou
B(hold) - Sakura-Endo
Step+A - Asagiri-Rendan
Step, A - Normal step attack
Step+B - Guren-Tessen
Step, B - Hien-Tsubaki
Step+A+B(hold) - Shunka-Shunran, obviously unusable if your step and attack buttons are all bound to face buttons (please don't do this)

Some notes:

- This, naturally, wouldn't work very well with the PP system as it is. I'd personally excise the PP system entirely if I were to go with such a control scheme, or alternatively, convert it into a stamina bar (one that also drains with use of dodging, blocking, and sprinting).

- The balance of each move works completely differently when they're accessed with such inputs. For example, any of the (hold) input moves will naturally have to deal higher damage to compensate for the fact that there will ALWAYS be a delay in getting them out. This is usually not an issue thanks to charge moves being OP in PSO2 generally, but it is something to consider.

- To aid air combat, I would increase air time after stepping and after each attack. This is largely to help make chain air Guren easier, because it's bloody STYLISH. Also makes chaining air Sakura Ends actually doable.

Personally, I'd probably be playing PSO2 a lot more if it played more like this. The simplistic control scheme works, but it's so unexciting and encourages single PA spam too much. You can imagine how you can mix this up with other weapons, too, like knuckle's Flicker Jab or Flash Thousand coming out with button mash inputs Chun-Li style.

Definitely hoping PSO3 does something like this. Maybe they should enlist the aid of Platinum...

red1228
Apr 6, 2017, 01:48 AM
Some interesting ideas... don't exactly agree with this drastic of a change to the combat system, but that was definitely an interesting read.

...Maybe they should enlist the aid of Platinum...
I don't see this happening anytime soon. Sega burned Platinum Games twice.
When Platinum had finished developing Anarchy Reigns (by finished I mean the game was ready to go and fully translated for all territories it was to ship to), Sega only launched it in Japan (despite the deal being to release the game world wide at the same date) and withheld it for nearly 6 months... for no reason. It ended up being "panic rolled" onto store shelves with no advertising & at a reduced price of $40. To most people, it looked like some shovelware game that was trying to make a quick buck & barely anyone knew about it, let alone played it.

And I'm pretty sure you're familiar with what happened to Bayonetta 2? Sega backed out of the deal with Platinum to publish it. Luckily Nintendo picked it up & Bayonetta 2 got released in the end.