PDA

View Full Version : Is It a Good Time to Jump in?

Ceefa
May 31, 2017, 12:23 PM
Hey, everyone,

I'm sorry if these type of questions get asked a lot, but I really would like to hear from some experienced players before I invest my time into the game.

Is it a good time to jump on board with PSO 2? I tried the game in beta, but decided to wait until a North American release happened. As everyone knows, the NA website has been left unattended for the better part of a decade, and it's obvious at this point that we're never going to get one.

I put hundreds, if not thousands, of hours into PSO on multiple consoles many years ago. I also played PSU and all of the hand held Phantasy Star games. I enjoyed all of them, to say the least. The thing is, jumping into a game that's been out for 5 years frightens me. I missed so much content while it was fresh, I don't know the current state of the game, and I'll be a "noob" for a long time to come. What's also stopped me from rejoining is that I've completely forgotten the password to my beta account, and I can't recover it because the name was in Japanese. Things like that bother me. I made a new account, but meh. It does bother me.

I guess my question is, for those of you who are pretty experienced in this game, do you think it would be worth it for me to overcome all of my concerns and take the plunge? Or do you think I should just move on and pursue other games (I'm pretty interested in ESO and Black Desert as well). As a HUGE Phantasy Star Online/Universe fan, do you think I would really like the game?

Thanks for any input.

zandra117
May 31, 2017, 12:41 PM
Yes it is a great time to join pso2. AIDA's pso2 tweaker now translates the majority of the game including most of the story mode. There is a good amount of english players on every ship even outside of ship 2. Alot of the old content can still be experienced so you didn't miss out. The game is very alive and the Episode 5 update is coming.

edit: now that I think of old content does emergency code: clone even still happen?

LancerFate
May 31, 2017, 12:46 PM
If you are HUGE fan, i think yes why not, leveling here is not a problem, equipment from CF ( Collect Files ) you get weapon, units not sure whats better for start, probably ideal set. it's kinda sad that you lost account, but it's 5 year old so anything you have is outdated. Just try and you will find your answer :-)

LancerFate
May 31, 2017, 12:52 PM
edit: now that I think of old content does emergency code: clone even still happen?
It was in old EQ like Amduscia, City. Now i think its only in AQ ?, And last location in Darker Abduction.

Ceefa
May 31, 2017, 12:52 PM
If you are HUGE fan, i think yes why not, leveling here is not a problem, equipment from CF ( Collect Files ) you get weapon, units not sure whats better for start, probably ideal set. it's kinda sad that you lost account, but it's 5 year old so anything you have is outdated. Just try and you will find your answer :-)

I know. Frankly if I hadn't lost it, I probably would have jumped in a while back. My sister and I created ours at the same time, and she helped me create it with a virtual Japanese keyboard. The information I think was on a notepad on one of her old computers that's long gone. Suffice to say, it's a lost cause getting it back. But I may not let that stop me and just give it a real go. I didn't have much of a value, just a few event items. That's one of the things that always made me apprehensive playing a game in a foreign language; it's all but impossible to get in contact with customer service if you run into a problem (especially when they won't let you put your name in English into the account information).

Alenoir
May 31, 2017, 01:14 PM
You may be able to recover your password if you used your actual birth date while creating the account, but it seems like fake birthday is a trend when creating accounts, so that's probably a no.

May or may not be a good time to jump into the game. Good for the fact that you have so much crap to keep you busy for the next month or three. Bad for the fact it's literally the end of a chapter and we're about to get new information for the next chapter this month, so you have even more things to catch up.

Ceefa
May 31, 2017, 02:06 PM
Thanks, guys, for the help.

Just a few more questions, because I'm really thinking of seriously playing this game. Is a lot like the original PSO, where there are really tough bosses to take down on multiple difficulties? Also, are there a ton of different unique weapons to hunt depending on what you're going for, like the original PSO? Oh, and is it possible to buy items from the cash shop as a NA player? And is it real hard to find people to play with?

After taking another look at ESO, I realize I'm so sick of themepark/WoW style of MMOs. I really think I'm going to make a go of this.

jooozek
May 31, 2017, 02:12 PM
the enemy difficulty from normal to very hard doesn't really change, on SH enemies get better AI and get much faster, on XH get a ton of HP on top of that

Anduril
May 31, 2017, 02:19 PM
Thanks, guys, for the help.

Just a few more questions, because I'm really thinking of seriously playing this game. Is a lot like the original PSO, where there are really tough bosses to take down on multiple difficulties? Also, are there a ton of different unique weapons to hunt depending on what you're going for, like the original PSO? Oh, and is it possible to buy items from the cash shop as a NA player? And is it real hard to find people to play with?

After taking another look at ESO, I realize I'm so sick of themepark/WoW style of MMOs. I really think I'm going to make a go of this.

There are currently 5 difficulties (Normal, Hard, Very Hard, Super Hard, and Extra Hard), along with some unique quests that are a single difficulty (Ultimate, Extreme Quests); however, not every mission has every difficulty (most Free Fields only have up to SH). Toughness may vary on your interpretation as the game is aimed a bit more at the casual player, especially at lower levels.
Primary weapon progression is pretty straightforward, in that you are mostly looking for the highest rarity weapons with the best damage multipliers, though there are several weapons that are used for utility.
You can buy AC as a foreigner, and the easiest way to do so is through the Android game PSO2es as it charges through Google Wallet instead of having to buy Webmoney via a reseller.
On Ship 02, you can find a large collection of English speaking players in blocks 1 and 2, though mileage may vary as those tend to mostly be "social" blocks with a lot of player either sticking to their teams or just running with PUGs in blocks that match the right difficulty you are looking for. If you are on Ship 02, feel free to add me, and I can help out with anything you might need. PlayerID: AndrlCh

Ceefa
May 31, 2017, 02:57 PM
There are currently 5 difficulties (Normal, Hard, Very Hard, Super Hard, and Extra Hard), along with some unique quests that are a single difficulty (Ultimate, Extreme Quests); however, not every mission has every difficulty (most Free Fields only have up to SH). Toughness may vary on your interpretation as the game is aimed a bit more at the casual player, especially at lower levels.
Primary weapon progression is pretty straightforward, in that you are mostly looking for the highest rarity weapons with the best damage multipliers, though there are several weapons that are used for utility.
You can buy AC as a foreigner, and the easiest way to do so is through the Android game PSO2es as it charges through Google Wallet instead of having to buy Webmoney via a reseller.
On Ship 02, you can find a large collection of English speaking players in blocks 1 and 2, though mileage may vary as those tend to mostly be "social" blocks with a lot of player either sticking to their teams or just running with PUGs in blocks that match the right difficulty you are looking for. If you are on Ship 02, feel free to add me, and I can help out with anything you might need. PlayerID: AndrlCh

Very helpful, thanks. I'll probably see you in game soon.

Moffen
May 31, 2017, 06:53 PM
If you want to play an unbalanced grindfest in which your months work will get btfo by the time a new weapon collection file comes out,go for it.

Do yourself a favour and stay away from S-atk gearing if you actually want to keep your sanity lmao.

TehCubey
May 31, 2017, 09:25 PM
While not ideal, PSO2 is better balanced now than it has ever been. Remember shunka dunka and the hand of darkness? Remember the whole of ep 1? Not a time you want to go back to.

Maximillian.
May 31, 2017, 11:19 PM
Vastly inferior to PSU. I have tons of complaints but it's good for a free game.

Moffen
Jun 1, 2017, 05:00 AM
While not ideal, PSO2 is better balanced now than it has ever been. Remember shunka dunka and the hand of darkness? Remember the whole of ep 1? Not a time you want to go back to.

Well I mean Shunka just got replaced with gurren so

shrug.png

LancerFate
Jun 1, 2017, 04:51 PM
Btw it's good idea to have PSO2es account linked with PSO2, you can exp your pso2 character when playing pso2es, will help at beginning. It's up to you, just my opinion what i was doing if started from zero.

Misaki Ki
Jun 1, 2017, 06:17 PM
PSO2 is very easy and accessible at the moment for new players at the moment, so it isn't hard to catch up. ( I can't comment on how the XH and Expert block split affected things.) Still, despite that, the journey isn't a pleasant one right now. It's very repetitive, and you'll quickly find a lot of the content is time gated.

Overall though, things aren't too bad once you reach the final levels of leveling.

DeadEscape
Jun 1, 2017, 11:59 PM
Lmao you all just don't get it at all, OP wanted reasons to NOT play PSO2, not your irrelevant opinions about it.

Ryuhou
Jun 2, 2017, 05:20 AM
Pretty good time to join.
Just remember than abandoning as full MPA in boss emergency quests as well as Mining Base Defense emergency quests as well as Battle Arena can get you permanently banned.
That includes selecting to abandon the quest from the menu as well as disconnecting or having your client crash.

Lumpen Thingy
Jun 2, 2017, 06:37 PM
Vastly inferior to PSU. I have tons of complaints but it's good for a free game.

nice joke M8

KlTSUNE
Jun 2, 2017, 06:41 PM
the game is noob friendly,
its also possible to go 1-75 in a day if you know what youre doing.