PDA

View Full Version : Episode 5 Story Discussion

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Altiea
Jun 10, 2017, 09:08 AM
Gonna jump the gun on this one, but here we go!

What we know so far:

Xiao got upgraded to "kinda sexy"
gaiz we found pd
There's a black hole where Xion was. We're definitely not mixing up the terms "black hole" and "wormhole".
LET'S GO TO FANTASY LAND
Praying for not a Hitsugi clone with Harriet?
Ephemera: I'M EVIL AND I HAVE A ROSE
I don't we needed Fairy Xierra...
We have an alternate counterpart Luther because we can't let him die yet. FOR THE FANS.

Moffen
Jun 10, 2017, 09:53 AM
Oh and PD sitting outside the bridge window

loafhero
Jun 10, 2017, 10:06 AM
Ah, and thus it begins.

I love how kinda-sexy-Xiao now wears a white lab coat and glasses to emulate Xion more. I'm surprised Xiao could even grow up physically nor did I expect the shortest NPC in the game to now be taller than high heels Matoi in just a span of 2 years. Then again, considering Xion had the ability to simply choose how she looks, it could be that Xiao chose to make himself taller and sexier just cause.

So the animal ear girl in the trailer is apparently Alma, aka, the first Claris Claes?

Its about time PD is back to being plot relevant again. Its rather interesting to know that we'll be getting to know a little more about where Xion really came from.

The fantasy land, while silly in concept, is already less groan-inducing than Earth was. The new enemies, Demons, didn't make me roll my eyes so that's a plus. Not too fond of the grey and brown color palette of the map, though.

Fairy Xierra has an UGLY design. I mean, her first look was pretty gaudy enough with those super bright colors of hers but the Fairy Xierra is just hideous... the clothes, that is. Her face is still pretty cute.

Matoi appears beside the Player in the trailer in what I assume to be the beginning of the story yet she's absent from the rest of the story trailer. Don't tell me she gets kidnapped and imprisoned somewhere in the fantasy land and we have to rescue her. Already getting Legend of Zelda vibes just from saying that. I mean, we're getting Xierra as a fairy companion and the new map reminds me a lot of Hyrule Warriors map, for crying out loud.

Won't deny that Luther's reveal was the best part of the trailer for me. Would be pretty interesting to see what Luther would be like if he wasn't evil (assuming this Luther is a good guy). I just hope they keep Luther's dick-ish behaviour. Being a colossal prick while still being charismatic is what made Luther so awesome.

Morgan Fumi
Jun 10, 2017, 10:12 AM
Fantasy land makes me wonder if we're about to swap slice of life tropes for isekai ones.

Gotta prep some new bait, I suppose.

Altiea
Jun 10, 2017, 10:14 AM
Also, Stratos best new character.

loafhero
Jun 10, 2017, 10:19 AM

Voiced by Megumin from Konosuba (an anime meant to parody the Isekai genre), no less. She could be related to Huey based on her hair color and her over-the-top spirited personality.

I'm already expecting her to be harassed by Katori out of jealousy over the new class as she's done so with Pietro.

mickbis
Jun 10, 2017, 10:54 AM
Voiced by Megumin from Konosuba (an anime meant to parody the Isekai genre), no less. She could be related to Huey based on her hair color and her over-the-top spirited personality.

I'm already expecting her to be harassed by Katori out of jealousy over the new class as she's done so with Pietro.

Ehhh she just sound like Megumin her VA tho does Kancolle Shimakaze
it interesting point tho that she might be related to Huey

anyway
The color theme and map details look bad IMO maybe it will get better? but at this rate it look horrible by fantasy game standard
the black hole in the place of Xion is interesting... so the entire corrupted mothership is gone for good and replace by a black hole that even absorb star the alternate verse?

still I'm look 50/50 looking forward to this

loafhero
Jun 10, 2017, 11:02 AM
Ehhh she just sound like Megumin her VA tho does Kancolle Shimakaze

Ah, my mistake. Konosuba withdrawal, you see.

mickbis
Jun 10, 2017, 11:04 AM
Ah, my mistake. Konosuba withdrawal, you see.

me too actually lol the legend among comedy genre
anyway Stratos seem like a "Chuni hero" so everyone does see Megumin in her...

loafhero
Jun 10, 2017, 11:12 AM
I can expect Stratos enjoying a year's worth of top ranking popularity as Katori and Io have in their respective Episodes.

And considering the requirements to be a Hero, Stratos could potentially be the strongest of the NPC class trainers.

mickbis
Jun 10, 2017, 11:14 AM
That even point out how she might be Huey little sister I think
the little sister of a battle maniac and known muscle brain

abidias
Jun 10, 2017, 11:15 AM
what a joke!
After EP4 they still learned nothing.
We played PSO/PSU because it was like a space opera, now they are trying to be generic as possible with this medieval fantasy non sense!

Less and less a sci fi game, nothing makes sense.

WHAT THE HELL?

XykeVayaris
Jun 10, 2017, 11:19 AM
E Hero Stratos? :yes:

Moffen
Jun 10, 2017, 11:38 AM
what a joke!
After EP4 they still learned nothing.
We played PSO/PSU because it was like a space opera, now they are trying to be generic as possible with this medieval fantasy non sense!

Less and less a sci fi game, nothing makes sense.

WHAT THE HELL?

I mean have you even played the original PS games?

abidias
Jun 10, 2017, 11:42 AM

We are not talking about the original single player games, its about PSO.
Many ppl quit the game on EP4 because the earth fan service non sense, I can see even more ppl quiting the game because EP5 medieval generic universe.

mickbis
Jun 10, 2017, 11:44 AM
let change question..
did you understand PSO2 EP4 plot aside from word "highschool bullshit" ...?

loafhero
Jun 10, 2017, 11:44 AM
There must be a lot that are bitter that its not the Algol universe we're going to.

Personally, I had hoped they ditched alternate dimensions after EP4 and just go back to expanding the current universe Oracle is in. Their supposed to be finding a planet to colonize, right? Yet, this isn't AS bad as I thought it'd be. The alternate universe that is fantasy land is tied to Profound Darkness and Xion, so the main universe is still being elaborated on to a degree.

abidias
Jun 10, 2017, 11:47 AM
Ppl are really defending the direction this game is going? (crap medieval fest that you can find in any other game)
I won't even talk about the nerfs because they can't balance shit with ranger and gunner. Or how its all about power creep now.

mickbis
Jun 10, 2017, 11:48 AM
for me I expect something to do with subspace traveling with all PSP2 collab and how they frequently visit ARKS at this point
well if it Xion and Profound Darkness plot then it still on the track right? I'm ok with that as long as they didn't mess up big time
and everything from EP1-3 turn useless

oh and this place is for story discussion not game balancing

Great Pan
Jun 10, 2017, 11:49 AM
Still stand on me words. JUST GET BACK KILLING ALIENS OR SPACE HORRORS!

mickbis
Jun 10, 2017, 12:02 PM
the Profound Darkness about to eat Naberius again in the PV so a space horror is there I think?
might be coming late to the party tho....
I believe ep5 theme is reincarnation right? maybe "something" "someone" should be reincarnate there in fantasy world ....
I'm more curious about "Alma" the 1st Claris Cles and her role also that mean we might going to see Regius (who're on mission in faraway place) and Maria soon too

Dualdiamond
Jun 10, 2017, 12:11 PM
I can already see Xiera making comparisons between Demons and Phantoms, as well as Earth Guide's magic to the magic circles used in demon summoning.

We will end up with another variant of Photons in Mana like we had with Aether. Possibly isolated Darker energy this time.

I suspect we won't be fully free from Earth just yet with episode 5.

sonisei
Jun 10, 2017, 12:27 PM
if they bring back regius and maria I will be happy :wacko:

zandra117
Jun 10, 2017, 01:37 PM

Tymek
Jun 10, 2017, 02:07 PM
the black hole in the place of Xion is interesting... so the entire corrupted mothership is gone for good and replace by a black hole that even absorb star the alternate verse?

Yeah, I was wondering what is up with that too. Did the entire Corrupted Mothership just up and disappear?

Yes. Though, who is this...well, kind-of "nobody", and how did she suddenly get access to the Ultra-Exclusive HERO ClassTM?

mickbis
Jun 10, 2017, 02:24 PM
Yes. Though, who is this...well, kind-of "nobody", and how did she suddenly get access to the Ultra-Exclusive HERO ClassTM?

I start to really think she is Huey's sister
just google and compare her with him
Red Orange costume, blue hair and brown eye even the eyebrow kind of similar

yoshiblue
Jun 10, 2017, 03:21 PM
Still stand on me words. JUST GET BACK KILLING ALIENS OR SPACE HORRORS!

This is just like one of my Star Trek: TOS episodes. :wacko:

loafhero
Jun 10, 2017, 11:18 PM

We're probably going to get some context as to how she became the Hero class administrator in the story just as we got some context for the last administrators like Azanami, Katori and Saga, and Pietro. These 3 were nobodies too until they became class administrators.

Meteor Weapon
Jun 10, 2017, 11:23 PM
Yeah, I was wondering what is up with that too. Did the entire Corrupted Mothership just up and disappear?

I think it's more of the lines to say "Where Planet Xion originated from."

Anduril
Jun 10, 2017, 11:27 PM
Wild speculation that has no grounding in reality: Huey came up with Hero after fighting with Phleg (it does have lots of firey effects similar to both his and her attacks), but because he has his responsibilities as a high ranking ARKS, he passed the responsibility to be its administrator to his equally insan... umm, enthusiastic younger sister.

Zyrusticae
Jun 11, 2017, 01:54 AM
I can't get into this.

I really just want to see a PSO3 that reboots the universe into one with a much more serious and far less absurd tone, but I somehow doubt I'll get that with these directors on board. Bleh. Just not my thing anymore.

Doesn't help that the new stage looks incredibly bad from an artistic standpoint. Just incredibly bland flat fields with no color or shape variation to speak of. How can anyone be proud of the product they've made? It just looks terribly ill-fitting, especially in this day and age.

PrinceBrightstar
Jun 11, 2017, 02:10 AM
I have no problem with how this turned out. Had this started in September or October as we were initially thinking it would have been really suspicious that they were just ignoring it the anniversary, but since we're getting a July release there's enough time to go through some things in this new episode and then address it seperately. It technically isn't the 30th anniversary yet (December), and the Alissa III could show up at any time in the future near Earth (episode 6, 7, 8, EX chapter, it wouldn't matter.)

More than likely even after we've moved on Aika and other ARKS will continue to keep an eye on Earth and provide intel when something happened. Heck even if we don't go to Algol in the end, we pretty much got the mob design and medieval feel of the Alissa III. For those that are unaware, the worlds of Algol along with the Alissa III were actually filled with many of the standard fantasy trope monsters. Skeletons, Zombies, Slimes, Centaurs, Dragons, the list goes on.

Even though the Alissa III is a spaceship, the people that lived on that ship forgot they were infact on a space ship until much later in the game. (I could also play the argument that this alternate dimension might be Algol pre-Waiss but that's a stretch and I'd need better evidence to back it up first.)

Vatallus
Jun 11, 2017, 02:17 AM
I'm going to be that guy but a wormhole would be a warp from one spot to another spot in the same universe. This isn't the same universe. This is working on the theory that black holes are actually portals to a different universe.

And there is nothing wrong with them using this theory. There is literally no way for us to confirm what a black hole really is. If matter can not be destroyed then everything a black hole sucks in is either very densely packed into the center of the black hole, or somewhere else entirely.

Altiea
Jun 11, 2017, 05:33 AM
I can't get into this.

I really just want to see a PSO3 that reboots the universe into one with a much more serious and far less absurd tone, but I somehow doubt I'll get that with these directors on board. Bleh. Just not my thing anymore.

Doesn't help that the new stage looks incredibly bad from an artistic standpoint. Just incredibly bland flat fields with no color or shape variation to speak of. How can anyone be proud of the product they've made? It just looks terribly ill-fitting, especially in this day and age.

I mean, the tetraology was literally “high fantasy, but IN SPACE”...

loafhero
Jun 11, 2017, 05:58 AM
Only realized now that in the trailers where Stratos appears, instead of meeting her in the Forest area as per usual with all the other trainer NPCs before, we meet her at the Gate area.

The trailer also featured two other protagonists from the fantasy land but their trailer time was so short so we barely get an idea what their personality is like and their designs just aren't eye-catching enough to warrant much discussion. We've mostly been talking about Stratos so far because her personality and design (not to mention her cuteness factor) just stands out more.

Meteor Weapon
Jun 11, 2017, 06:20 AM
Well she is literally the Megumin of PSO2 lol.

loafhero
Jun 11, 2017, 06:54 AM
Well she is literally the Megumin of PSO2 lol.

Ah, right. She's a Hero so she can do a fire blast too.

Kondibon
Jun 11, 2017, 06:57 AM
Ah, right. She's a Hero so she can do a fire blast too.She's also got the chuuni part down.

loafhero
Jun 11, 2017, 07:03 AM
She's also got the chuuni part down.

But she doesn't wear an eyepatch over her perfectly functioning eye while claiming its her limiter.

AnikaSteinberg
Jun 11, 2017, 07:22 AM
Sooo, anybody know where our beloved ARKS Commander-in-Chief REALLY is right now?
Despite mentioned quite properly in Episode 4, she never really made an appearance until the end.

And from the looks of the Episode 5 trailer, it seems that she is still yet to appear in person.

tsundere4you
Jun 11, 2017, 07:49 AM

Believe it or not video games consist of this thing called gameplay, they're not just graphical showpieces. Look at the video again; there are laser cannons pointed at the castle walls and enemy lasers shooting out at the players. "This area is too flat, where are the random hills!?". No, that changes the level design and gameplay design. Maybe they don't want part of the gameplay to involve scaling hills and other vertical sections to get at these cannons. They wanted a flat area for the gameplay design they are aiming for. Visuals come after gameplay not the other way around.

ralf542
Jun 11, 2017, 08:06 AM
Visuals come after gameplay not the other way around.
[SPOILER-BOX]
http://digitalspyuk.cdnds.net/17/11/480x240/landscape-1489773501-andromeda.gif[/SPOILER-BOX]

loafhero
Jun 11, 2017, 09:18 AM
[SPOILER-BOX]
http://digitalspyuk.cdnds.net/17/11/480x240/landscape-1489773501-andromeda.gif[/SPOILER-BOX]

No, that example is what happens when you completely neglect visuals entirely rather than prioritising one thing first before moving onto the next step.

Anyway, I do agree that gameplay should come before visuals but criticisms directed towards the look of the new map is worth pointing out considering how previous maps have always had vibrant colors. As it stands, Shironia is arguably the most beautiful map in the game so don't fault others for having developed personal standards for the visual quality of PSO2 maps.

If the new map turns out to be fun to play (and hopefully drops the godawful points & spawn system of EP4's maps), then yeah, that's a good thing but I won't deny that the map is probably going to be dull to look at in every run.

Vatallus
Jun 11, 2017, 09:21 AM
[SPOILER-BOX]

It's like you're trying to imply the trailer shows a finalized product or something.

loafhero
Jun 11, 2017, 09:38 AM
It's like you're trying to imply the trailer shows a finalized product or something.

Andromeda's trailers were showing a finalized product, though.

Zorua
Jun 11, 2017, 10:16 AM
I can expect Stratos enjoying a year's worth of top ranking popularity as Katori and Io have in their respective Episodes.

And considering the requirements to be a Hero, Stratos could potentially be the strongest of the NPC class trainers.

WAIT, they named the HERO npc "Stratos?"

Zyrusticae
Jun 11, 2017, 10:59 AM
Believe it or not video games consist of this thing called gameplay, they're not just graphical showpieces. Look at the video again; there are laser cannons pointed at the castle walls and enemy lasers shooting out at the players. "This area is too flat, where are the random hills!?". No, that changes the level design and gameplay design. Maybe they don't want part of the gameplay to involve scaling hills and other vertical sections to get at these cannons. They wanted a flat area for the gameplay design they are aiming for. Visuals come after gameplay not the other way around.
This argument is dumb and you should feel bad for making it.

Video games are as much a visual medium as anything else. "Gameplay over graphics" means FUCKING NOTHING to me. I simply won't bother playing a game that looks visually bland to the point of being off-putting, no ifs ands or buts about it. It doesn't matter at all what your opinion is as that doesn't factor into my assessment of the game whatsoever. I simply cannot care any less what you think should matter.

Furthermore, they could easily have created, at the very least, a plausibly vibrant background with some actual visual variation and added less bland lighting to spice things up without changing the core gameplay, and judging from the fact that you didn't even think about that tells me you know fucking nothing about game design and should GTFO of this thread, because your contributions are and will likely always be worthless.

mickbis
Jun 11, 2017, 11:04 AM
when it come to fantasy world there're a ton of competitors so it is hard to look at the current previews
even the story scene is dull.... chasing on the blank field with noting but a ground and a few grass

so only if it the only "battleground" that they're showing and there're still exploration map with neat details hiding then the complain will be stop eventually let hope it end up that way since we have to live with EP5 for another year

Altiea
Jun 11, 2017, 11:33 AM
While I do agree that they went a bit far with the "real is brown" thing, I'm more of a "wait and see" kind of person. Who knows, maybe the gameplay in EP5 will be pretty good.

This actually reminds me of the Monster Hunter argument about gameplay over graphics I keep hearing about.

mickbis
Jun 11, 2017, 11:45 AM
either is fine I prefer balance
just EP5 only scene first impression is just below even Naberius forest... so as a big fan of several fantasy world I cannot help but disappointing well it can improve over time tho since I think I feel that way about EP4 tokyo at first
and the black hole look sinister enough to make me forget about above part

is that lead to parallel/alternate fantasy world?
what about sub space traveling? is it not the very same as in travel between parallel/alternate verse? like the Earth and PSP2 Verse

loafhero
Jun 11, 2017, 10:01 PM
While I do agree that they went a bit far with the "real is brown" thing, I'm more of a "wait and see" kind of person.

Its funny that they went with "real is brown" despite the fantasy theme of the new map. Even most Isekai animes nowadays have very vibrant and colorful settings. The new protagonists and fairy Xierra also wear colourful outfits so I have to wonder why they made such a colourless map in contrast.

ews1114
Jun 11, 2017, 10:14 PM
I think the map design has to do with the new area being a possible ongoing warzone, thus the lifeless feeling, but a bit more colour wouldve been nice

Ryuhou
Jun 12, 2017, 06:43 AM
PSO has never been PS and definitely should never try to be PS. They are as different as separate entries in the FF series or the Tales series.

Ppl are really defending the direction this game is going? (crap medieval fest that you can find in any other game)
I won't even talk about the nerfs because they can't balance shit with ranger and gunner. Or how its all about power creep now.
Power creep is the very definition of online rpgs and has been a crucial part of PSO2 since the beginning.

Anyway, the blackhole looks awesome. Fairy Xiera is adorable, assaulting the castle robot looks like a lot of fun.
BUT
SEGA is still desperate to copy generic mmorpgs and is still crapping all over PSO2 while doing it. The fantasy stuff looks dumb and the enemies are hideous and generic crap.
Also, grim reapers are just Luda Sorcerer clones and ogres /trolls are probably Shironia/Kuron oni clones.
The balance changes are awesome and hero class looks awesome.
But the story seems to be far worse than even the premise for ep 4. We can only hope that the quality is good even if the setting is total bs. PSO is freaking space opera no generic ass fantasy.
I could forgive Sega is everything had really good unique designs like in many FF games but it's generic and hideous instead. Hell, the enemies look as if they were taken from an early gen PS2 game.
What the actual fuck, Sega?

Still, I am really hyped despite the disappointment.

tsundere4you
Jun 12, 2017, 06:55 AM
This argument is dumb and you should feel bad for making it.

Video games are as much a visual medium as anything else. "Gameplay over graphics" means FUCKING NOTHING to me. I simply won't bother playing a game that looks visually bland to the point of being off-putting, no ifs ands or buts about it. It doesn't matter at all what your opinion is as that doesn't factor into my assessment of the game whatsoever. I simply cannot care any less what you think should matter.

Furthermore, they could easily have created, at the very least, a plausibly vibrant background with some actual visual variation and added less bland lighting to spice things up without changing the core gameplay, and judging from the fact that you didn't even think about that tells me you know fucking nothing about game design and should GTFO of this thread, because your contributions are and will likely always be worthless.

You mentioned flat areas, I gave gameplay reasons for the flat area existing. But please, continue raging like a crazy person.

Or actually don't because I won't be reading it.

landman
Jun 12, 2017, 07:33 AM
PSO has never been PS and definitely should never try to be PS. They are as different as separate entries in the FF series or the Tales series.

That's actually not true, PSO drinks directly from PSII looks and lvl of technology (and Generation 1 as well), and a few easter eggs both in game (Lutz by Falz Memoria screen) and in artbooks (Searren design) are proof enough that at some point in the development they tried to make it a direct sequel. And that's why the original PS games were unique, because they were related to each other, and that's why the fans want to make a relation between each entry in the series, and that's why PSO2 is going to piss a lot of people off if everything related to PD and Earth end having nothing to do with what was established in the original games.

loafhero
Jun 12, 2017, 10:01 AM
Also, grim reapers are just Luda Sorcerer clones and ogres /trolls are probably Shironia/Kuron oni clones.

I also noticed a golem monster with similar animations to a Rockbear.

But the story seems to be far worse than even the premise for ep 4. We can only hope that the quality is good even if the setting is total bs.

Hey, if the story doesn't start off with a butt naked shota and unnecessary bath scenes that contribute nothing to the plot, it can't be that bad.

Dark Emerald EXE
Jun 12, 2017, 10:04 AM
Wait.....why is normal fantasy an issue now?

Didn't some of the original PS stuff have mobs like this?

loafhero
Jun 12, 2017, 10:13 AM

Well, its true that old school PS had enemies that look like the ones in EP5. The issue that people here have with these monster designs is that it clashes with PSO2's more high-tech sci fantasy setting. Instead of trying to at least modernize and adapt these old school designs to PSO2's setting (pre-EP4), they just slapped on these outdated monster designs without much thought put into it. This seems to be a trend that the devs are going for since EP4; wackiness for the sake of it. Hoping that people will just roll with the absurdity of it all because "woo hoo, look at how random we are!".

Dark Emerald EXE
Jun 12, 2017, 10:26 AM
Considering the setting isn't in "our world" but a parallel one......I don't see the issue to be honest....

Then again.....I don't quick to anger about such things

If this happened in our world I'd be disappointed but since we was sent somewhere else.....what we know was "Da rules" is kind of out the window......

EspeonageTieler
Jun 12, 2017, 10:29 AM
Well, its true that old school PS had enemies that look like the ones in EP5. The issue that people here have with these monster designs is that it clashes with PSO2's more high-tech sci fantasy setting. Instead of trying to at least modernize and adapt these old school designs to PSO2's setting (pre-EP4), they just slapped on these outdated monster designs without much thought put into it. This seems to be a trend that the devs are going for since EP4; wackiness for the sake of it. Hoping that people will just roll with the absurdity of it all because "woo hoo, look at how random we are!".
I understand the hate to a point but what is really so scifi about enemies like the ones you find on planets like nab? They are just dogs and birds really.

Dark Emerald EXE
Jun 12, 2017, 10:31 AM
I understand the hate to a point but what is really so scifi about enemies like the ones you find on planets like nab? They are just dogs and birds really.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Nothing we actually fight is Sci-fi......with exception of Darkers(Falz) and Phantoms...

Everything else is literally just people with space age technology running around planets like terrorist killings the local inhabitants lol

loafhero
Jun 12, 2017, 10:38 AM
Just so you all know, I do kinda like EP5's monster designs (even though some are just reskins of old enemies). I didn't cringe as much as the EP4 enemy reveal.

At least Naberius can get away with primitive monsters by being the tutorial level before you eventually unlock the later planets that feature more sci fi stuff like the Lilipa mechs or the mutant sea creatures of Wopal (all heavily implied to be created by Luther). I'd even argue that Naberius is sci-fi-ish because exploring planets filled with savage primitive beasts is quite common for sci fi. Plus, Naberius monsters are designed pretty well.

While Harkotan was a step back, at least the inhabitants there (the Shironians and Sukunahime) are implied to be using Photons just like us so there's that.

Altiea
Jun 12, 2017, 10:42 AM
We literally had "medieval Japan" as a planet, just saying.

loafhero
Jun 12, 2017, 10:44 AM

So did PSU, right down to the whole divine maiden thing.

loafhero
Jun 12, 2017, 10:56 AM
Also, I'd like to add that even Amduscia had sci fi stuff. It only seemed like a primitive planet of dragon people before you you start noticing the weirdly high tech stuff laying around the maps or how the Dragonkins god turned out to be a super computer all along.

Meteor Weapon
Jun 12, 2017, 10:58 AM
Naberius- Nothing but forest/snow mountains savage mammals and birds, and a Falz was previously sealed in it and PD hanging around it. I guess there's nothing to explore near the shores.

Amduscia- Protoss like dragon race, their technology remains a mystery Unfinished Story.

Lilipa- A desert planet with some Ewok knock offs living on it and a god bug trapped underground, damn thing kept coming back no matter how many times you blast it with photon kamehameha.

Vopar- Waterworld, nothing interesting here.

Harukotan- Oni Planet, I guess we're done here?

Earth- Missed Opportunity with too much cliche and weaboo planet. I don't want to have anything to do with this planet in this game anymore

Parallel World: Omega- Medieval high fantasy world, events still unknown.

Alenoir
Jun 12, 2017, 11:04 AM
I'd call Amu fantasy, if anything. Vopal more or less, too. The only really scific place is Lilipa and Mothership.

loafhero
Jun 12, 2017, 11:11 AM
I'd call Amu fantasy, if anything.

The Sanctum area is hard to call fantasy. Its got computer switches that controls gates, laser turrets, and teleporters.

Anduril
Jun 12, 2017, 11:30 AM
The Sanctum area is hard to call fantasy. Its got computer switches that controls gates, laser turrets, and teleporters.

I'd still call it fantasy-esque, maybe leaning into science-fantasy territory. Ancient, yet highly advanced, technology is a pretty common trope in fantasy, especially recently; look at Zelda, especially Breath of the Wild, for instance. Personally, I would classify the majority of the Phantasy Star franchise as more sci-fan than sci-fi.

mickbis
Jun 12, 2017, 11:33 AM
Vopar lore is actually very interesting. It basically Luther lab the planet that is meant to be an imitation of Xion
a place full of unknown knowledge... Luther himself order the destruction of those research so it will be forever unknown

Amduscia and Harukotan fall in to the same category a planet with civilization
it primitive compare to Arks one lean to "dragon" "soul" and unique technology another one is "Japanese myth"

Earth try to collab with Anime with school life setting too much... cut the school life part make it more adult-situation
would be more interesting 50/50 about this I kind of disliked and liked it at the same time
well it an introduction episode so I think I will left it at that

so now for Parallel fantasy world it actually very interesting if you ask me
I don't remember any game try this approach once... "extremely advance space race went to pure fantasy land"

the interesting part is how much this fantasy world "worth"
how it will be fit into the Profound Darkness endless cycle which is show at the start of preview
EP4 Earth is Xion and Photoner related plot so what they will bring into EP5 ?

loafhero
Jun 12, 2017, 11:37 AM
I'd still call it fantasy-esque, maybe leaning into science-fantasy territory. Ancient, yet highly advanced, technology is a pretty common trope in fantasy, especially recently; look at Zelda, especially Breath of the Wild, for instance. Personally, I would classify the majority of the Phantasy Star franchise as more sci-fan than sci-fi.

I think Science-fantasy is a fair description for the series especially since PSO2 does like mixing fantasy and science fiction like how Forces default appearances are a mixture of old school mages with a lot of high tech flair on them.

I'd welcome a similar approach that Breath of the Wild took in mixing sci-fi with medieval fantasy.

Xaeris
Jun 12, 2017, 11:51 AM
Wild beasts are going to be wild beasts wherever you go, sci-fi or fantasy. SWTOR, for example, has loads of plain fauna to serve as mobs. But if we encounter an alien civilization, it'd be nice to encounter one at a similar (or even greater) level of technological development compared to Oracle for a change. The closest we've ever gotten was Lillipa, which is neat with all the robots, but we never really got much context regarding them.

loafhero
Jun 12, 2017, 09:47 PM
Plus, its a SEGA game so the first level is always going to be a green forest area with wild animals (or animals in power armor).

As for the Lilipa mechs, I'm gonna just say its Photoners... its always the Photoners fault.

Also, I just checked on Google images to see if Huey and Stratos have the same eye color and they do. I really hope we're not wrong about the little sister theory.

[Ayumi]
Jun 12, 2017, 09:59 PM
Plus, its a SEGA game so the first level is always going to be a green forest area with wild animals (or animals in power armor).

As for the Lilipa mechs, I'm gonna just say its Photoners... its always the Photoners fault.

Also, I just checked on Google images to see if Huey and Stratos have the same eye color and they do. I really hope we're not wrong about the little sister theory.

Or sex change. Can be anything.

Vintasticvin
Jun 12, 2017, 10:42 PM
WAIT, they named the HERO npc "Stratos?"

YEAHHHHHH MAH BOI STRATOS COMING BACK YO!

Xaeris
Jun 12, 2017, 10:42 PM
Twist: Stratos is the elder sibling his mom and even Huey thinks she's unreasonably chunni for her age the chunni just runs in the family.

Altiea
Jun 12, 2017, 10:46 PM
Unfortunately, the game pretty much abandoned explaining Lillipa past EP2 and the Ultimate field. We only know a few things:
1. It used to be a super-advanced high tech civilization a long time ago.
2. The Lillipans aren't actually native to Lillipa and were probably introduced to the planet by a foreign entity.
3. That foreign entity also probably created said super advanced civilization.

What happened between then and now? It's anyone's guess, at this point.

Meteor Weapon
Jun 13, 2017, 12:18 AM
On second thought, there's really no reason for us ARKS to know more about the history of Lilipa. It's a nearly lifeless planet, just some ewok knock offs offs living and ancient mechs running around with god knows how they keep producing themselves. A Dark Falz got stuck in there and all ARKS have to do is just keep reseal it. Unless there's a legit computer Mother Brain hidden in Lilipa controlling all the mechs, until then we'll never know.

Amduscia had their problem with corruption fields popping out of nowhere that was never really concluded or explained, maybe we'll get into it in EP5 with Xiao back in the picture.

EP4 completely ignores whatever the hell is going on in Oracle universe because we completely got stuck on boring Earth story, even Harukotan chapter didn't pull off that bullshit. Here's hoping EP5 don't pull the same bullshit focusing on PU:Omega only. There's just no new interesting information to digest related to the Oracle universe other than Mama being thrown away by Photoners like trash

Last I check Aurora doesn't even know Lilipa's existence, the language symbols that appear in tunnel walls are also different. Inb4 its the Orn Empire

loafhero
Jun 13, 2017, 03:49 AM
Or the story just screws with us over Stratos's ties with Huey by pulling this twist:

[SPOILER-BOX]
https://youtu.be/CZd_YyFzPD0[/SPOILER-BOX]

Ryuhou
Jun 13, 2017, 05:42 AM
That's actually not true, PSO drinks directly from PSII looks and lvl of technology (and Generation 1 as well), and a few easter eggs both in game (Lutz by Falz Memoria screen) and in artbooks (Searren design) are proof enough that at some point in the development they tried to make it a direct sequel. And that's why the original PS games were unique, because they were related to each other, and that's why the fans want to make a relation between each entry in the series, and that's why PSO2 is going to piss a lot of people off if everything related to PD and Earth end having nothing to do with what was established in the original games.
Actually I said that in repose to ep 5's fantasy setting being like old PS games.
Also, what you describe is pretty much what I meant, the relation of Tales or FF games with a lot of conventions and reusing some details here and there but setting, story and characters are very different.

Hey, if the story doesn't start off with a butt naked shota and unnecessary bath scenes that contribute nothing to the plot, it can't be that bad.
Lol, indeed. You could actually see his shota bits, I commend Sega on adding those to character models (female bits as well apparently, some underwear lets you see the outer parts as people like to demonstrate in the fashion catalog) but showing them for a good while as introduction for the ep 4 story was really not what I like to see.

Again, PSO2 is not old PS and therefore this doesn't matter. PSO2 is space opera and should not be bent out of shape being turned into something else. This is some kind of bait and switch, storywise players are in it for the space opera and giving us other stuff on such a big scale (a entire episode after another entire episode of modern Japan with only some space opera-esque elements) is annoying.
Being awesome space opera with a relatively unique setting is one of the most important and best aspects of this game (as well as PSO1).

But that is the amount of fantasy that is part of space opera. One of the charms of the genre is that you can have some fantasy like elements here and there. But the point is that this and ep 1-3 are almost entirely space opera with only a little fantasy added in. Ep 4 had already too much modern day Japan but was still acceptable cause of many sci fi elements all over the place.

On the other hand what we saw of ep 5 seems to be almost exclusively fantasy with the only sci fi elements being the players. That is virtually the same as just using out of place mounts / outfits in TERA Online like business suits (iirc they hd something similar) or those weird sunglass wearing color afro ostriches and cars that don't fit into the fantasy setting at all.

By far my favorite genre is space opera so I'm very disappointed. I like fantasy as well so I would be fine with an interesting unique setting like many FFs have but this generic crap is already boring and bad in actual fantasy games, in a space opera game it's total bs and like a slap in the face, Sega again not caring about coherence but just about catering to a wider audience and getting more new players.

loafhero
Jun 13, 2017, 05:53 AM
Though to be fair, while new enemies look completely high fantasy, the castle boss monster looks suspiciously technological. It reminds me a lot of FFXIV's Alexander raid boss which was also a giant mechanical castle monster.

Mattykins
Jun 13, 2017, 06:24 PM
One thing I noticed while browsing PSUMods

[SPOILER-BOX]BD1Dp has an AI file and it seems to be a complete copy of Dark Falz Loser's AI. Not really sure what to make of that, though it's been suggested that it might be an event specific version of the boss.

Think this may tie into Luther's triumphant return..?[/SPOILER-BOX]

Altiea
Jun 13, 2017, 07:36 PM
One thing I noticed while browsing PSUMods

[SPOILER-BOX]BD1Dp has an AI file and it seems to be a complete copy of Dark Falz Loser's AI. Not really sure what to make of that, though it's been suggested that it might be an event specific version of the boss.

Think this may tie into Luther's triumphant return..?[/SPOILER-BOX]

Don't make me fight a third Loser clone, Proto-Falz Lord was already bad enough.

Ryuhou
Jun 14, 2017, 05:42 AM
Though to be fair, while new enemies look completely high fantasy, the castle boss monster looks suspiciously technological. It reminds me a lot of FFXIV's Alexander raid boss which was also a giant mechanical castle monster.
Yeah, I thought the same. It looks pretty nice. But the generic goblins and orcs really ruin everything.

Yeah, I thought the same. It looks pretty nice. But the generic goblins and orcs really ruin ever
Perhaps. Though using the same ai would be total bs cause Luther is incredibly annoying with his teleportation. Really, it just the teleportation if you take that away it's an awesome boss fight but long periods where you scramble to do damage to end this phase but rarely make it in time if you dodge his attack is incredibly irritating.
His sword swiping circle and Za Warudo sword rain moves are fine, but teleportation is so damn frustrating and annoying.

Considering he was shown in the trailer, it is a possibility, but somehow seeing his sit like that and apparently talking to Xiera (or that was just the editing) made me think he isn't the villain this time.

loafhero
Jun 14, 2017, 05:48 AM
Considering he was shown in the trailer, it is a possibility, but somehow seeing his sit like that and apparently talking to Xiera (or that was just the editing) made me think he isn't the villain this time.

It would be interesting to see a good guy Luther though I'm hoping he's still an insufferable prick. Being a charming asshole is what Luther is all about.

Ryuhou
Jun 14, 2017, 06:18 AM
I don't think he'll ever be a real good guy but a neutral faction, which sounds quite fun.

mickbis
Jun 14, 2017, 12:57 PM
as long as his obsession isn't out of his hand like Xion case
I think he is more of a neutral faction as well with high "I don't give a fuck to other" attribute

to have him as ep 5 bad guy might be a mirror to EP2 but I don''t think I want to have him as last ep boss again it kind of... repeat the same thing over and over just because he is very popular

Anduril
Jun 14, 2017, 01:57 PM
Hold on, do we know for a fact that Luther changed the appearance of the body when he took over the original Casra's body? If not and this isn't "our" Luther somehow free from [PD], isn't it possible that this is just this dimension's version of the real Casra and not Luther?

Dark Emerald EXE
Jun 14, 2017, 02:09 PM
Hold on, do we know for a fact that Luther changed the appearance of the body when he took over the original Casra's body? If not and this isn't "our" Luther somehow free from [PD], isn't it possible that this is just this dimension's version of the real Casra and not Luther?
*brain hurts*

It's possible....

I always just assumed that the Sierra & Luther we saw was just that worlds version of them.....oppose to them being transported there and changing appearance....

bhaal
Jun 14, 2017, 03:41 PM
When the videos of ragequit after deleting all those valuables will start to sprout?

Meteor Weapon
Jun 14, 2017, 04:44 PM
A reminder that EP5 Luther doesn't have an eye tattoo like Luther always had, so it's possible that this is just a parallel version of him not the real Luther himself.

Batty
Jun 14, 2017, 09:17 PM
since there seem to be implications that PD will return in this EP, maybe we will we getting a way to upgrade austeres the same way ray, zeinisis and yamato weapons can

Anduril
Jun 14, 2017, 10:15 PM
A reminder that EP5 Luther doesn't have an eye tattoo like Luther always had, so it's possible that this is just a parallel version of him not the real Luther himself.

Exactly why I question if there was ever anything to indicate that the form we see Luther in is identical to his original body, or if that is what the original Casra, his host body, looks like.

loafhero
Jun 14, 2017, 11:28 PM

Oh, yeah. I forgot that Phantasy Luther takes control of bodies to be able to live for so long. I think Luther did alter the appearance of the original Casra after ASSUMING CONTROL to better suit his tastes. If he didn't do any alterations, he would have looked like Casra 2 (aka our Casra), no?

So, I have my doubts that fantasy Luther is actually a parallel version of the OG Casra despite EP5 going so far as to bring back Alma.

Anduril
Jun 14, 2017, 11:58 PM
Oh, yeah. I forgot that Phantasy Luther takes control of bodies to be able to live for so long. I think Luther did alter the appearance of the original Casra after ASSUMING CONTROL to better suit his tastes. If he didn't do any alterations, he would have looked like Casra 2 (aka our Casra), no?

So, I have my doubts that fantasy Luther is actually a parallel version of the OG Casra despite EP5 going so far as to bring back Alma.
He easily could have just manipulated some of Clone Casra's DNA to make him look different than the real Casra; I mean, it would be kinda suspicious for the successor to Casra I to be identical to him, right? Though, maybe he did both, since it would also be suspicious for Casra I to still be around after a new one being needed (though in either case, maybe you can just assume that very few people even knew what the Council of Six looks like at any one time).

Dark Emerald EXE
Jun 15, 2017, 07:44 AM
Forgive my Ep1-2 noobness in story but Alma is? (I'm assuming you're referring to the ghost girl with the fox like hair in the ep5 trailer)

Saagonsa
Jun 15, 2017, 07:50 AM
Forgive my Ep1-2 noobness in story but Alma is? (I'm assuming you're referring to the ghost girl with the fox like hair in the ep5 trailer)

Alma is the original Claris Claus who died while sealing Elder in Naberius.

Kondibon
Jun 15, 2017, 07:51 AM
Forgive my Ep1-2 noobness in story but Alma is? (I'm assuming you're referring to the ghost girl with the fox like hair in the ep5 trailer)She's the original Claris Claes. You never actually see her, and I don't even remember when or if she's mentioned in game. I actually completely forgot who she was until I saw it mentioned somewhere else.

Dark Emerald EXE
Jun 15, 2017, 07:52 AM
Ah. cool Thanks.

I should really go back and do Ep1 - Ep2 since I'm sure its all translated now.

loafhero
Jun 15, 2017, 09:28 AM
Honestly, I don't blame you for not knowing who Alma is. Alma is only mentioned at least twice in EP2, by Regius (in the Loser raid after-cutscene) and Matoi (MB 2-6 during her talk with the Player in the Ruins) but we've never been shown how she actually looks. I had assumed she had a red & white color scheme considering how her successors, Matoi and CCIII, wear red & white. Turns out, she likes green (and has animal ears for some reason). The trailer is the first time we see her in person and if you're wondering why she doesn't look like an old hag, that's because she never lived long enough to grow old in the first place as a result of said sacrifice.

Zanverse
Jun 15, 2017, 10:15 AM
Okay, can we talk about these for a second? Someone ripped these 7 days ago:

https://soundcloud.com/psotwomusic/e8138a3a3d9372b6c
https://soundcloud.com/psotwomusic/b4820cf98430d934

One of them is definitely a Mining Base Final wave. The second track has two sections, the first section sounds like a potential Falz Apprentice track, while the second-half sounds HEAVILY like a Dark Falz Loser 2.0 BGM. It has that female high-pitched "Hooooooooh!" that is iconic to each IDOLA song in PSO2.

We didn't get any news about a new Mining Base, nor a new Dark Falz...

Dark Emerald EXE
Jun 15, 2017, 10:22 AM
. Turns out, she likes green (and has animal ears for some reason). The trailer is the first time we see her in person and if you're wondering why she doesn't look like an old hag, that's because she never lived long enough to grow old in the first place as a result of said sacrifice.

Neat....I'm still learning about game lore! As for the old hag thing I just assumed she died young so her "ghost form" is just what she looked like pre death......like those typical ghost type deals cartoons and the like tend to use.

Edit: how did she die again?

loafhero
Jun 15, 2017, 11:09 AM

I guess its worth pointing out that the new Buster Quest of EP5 (that raid where we fight a castle monster in the trailer), which is going to be the game's first 8-MPA quest, looks like it functions similarly to Mining Base except this time we get to strike back after we're done defending. I imagine the first song is going to be used for the Buster Quest.

As for the second, oh yeah, getting heavy Dark Falz vibes there. It sounds like it has a more gothic feel to it. Sounds friggin amazing too and fits the style of soundtrack from EP1 to 3.

Neat....I'm still learning about game lore! As for the old hag thing I just assumed she died young so her "ghost form" is just what she looked like pre death......like those typical ghost type deals cartoons and the like tend to use.

Edit: how did she die again?

She died sacrificing herself to seal Dark Falz Elder in the Ruins area a really loooong time ago. That giant red tower we see in the background of Zeshraider's boss stage? That's Alma's work and where Elder used to be sealed until Gettemjerk woke him up.

Suirano
Jun 15, 2017, 03:32 PM
Man, that second song tho. It's definitely Falz sounding and it sounds really good. I wonder what it is going to be connected to.

Meteor Weapon
Jun 15, 2017, 04:29 PM

One of them is definitely a Mining Base Final wave. The second track has two sections, the first section sounds like a potential Falz Apprentice track, while the second-half sounds HEAVILY like a Dark Falz Loser 2.0 BGM. It has that female high-pitched "Hooooooooh!" that is iconic to each IDOLA song in PSO2.

We didn't get any news about a new Mining Base, nor a new Dark Falz...

Uh....these are actually fanmade. These guys probably reupload just to troll people.

https://soundcloud.com/atmospherejp/voxes-preview

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm25323488

Zanverse
Jun 15, 2017, 05:14 PM
Uh....these are actually fanmade. These guys probably reupload just to troll people.

wut.

these are amazing for fanmade tracks.

Suirano
Jun 15, 2017, 05:20 PM

Awww, they sounded good too.

loafhero
Jun 15, 2017, 10:02 PM

Aw, damn. Sounded really good too especially the 2nd.

Poyonche
Jun 16, 2017, 04:55 AM
SEGA find those tracks and use those pls.

Alenoir
Jun 16, 2017, 12:31 PM
SEGA find those tracks and use those pls.

They already know about them. Any video with the 小林神巡回済み tag means Kobayashi god was confirmed to have seen it before. (Most likely tweeted about it.)

Altiea
Jun 26, 2017, 04:09 PM
Bumped has notes about EP5's Story Quests!

Shared Story Progress: EP5 will be the first Episode to use this system! Progress you make in the story is global, so you can pick up where you left off on any character, instead of having to start from the beginning with each character.
EP4~5 Mode: "EP4 Mode" will get upgraded to "EP4~5 Mode" after the update. While playing in EP4~5 Mode, you can swap between Episode 4 and Episode 5 Story Quests on the fly by talking to Xierra.
Revised Cutscene Format: Reportedly, EP5 will have 2D cutscenes as well, much like the Portable series.
Omnibus Quests: Get the scoop on EP1~3 with Omnibus Quests! Omnibus Quests let you run through the contents of Episodes 1 to 3 in a condensed format. Omnibus Quests will have drops too, and the drops can be stuff that were typically found on the Matter Board.

Anduril
Jun 26, 2017, 04:16 PM
I'm not too keen on points 1 and 3.
I really liked the fact that I could pick up multiples of rewards for running the story on multiple characters, so losing that kinda sucks in my eyes.
I guess it works to reduce the amount of cutscenes they have to make, especially because a lot of them have just been "let's stand here in the exact same position for 5 minutes talking," but I've really never been a big fan of mixing in-engine cutscenes with visual novel style cutscenes in games.

AirinMikune
Jun 26, 2017, 07:22 PM
But then how would they handle the conversation that requires your character? Or would they just use a generic place holder for your character

Anduril
Jun 26, 2017, 08:06 PM
But then how would they handle the conversation that requires your character? Or would they just use a generic place holder for your character

Usually, for silent protagonists, such as ourselves, the understanding is that these cutscenes are "first person," so they don't have to create a portrait.

Dark Emerald EXE
Jun 26, 2017, 08:28 PM
But how can i enjoy matoi freaking out when people.imply her and MC are a couple?

loafhero
Jun 26, 2017, 10:32 PM
I'm sure there's still going to be the standard cutscenes as last time and that the visual novel style cutscenes are just there to add more dialogue to the story without having to use so much of their resources. Chances are, these 2D cutscenes will mostly be used for heavy exposition scenes because who would want to go to the effort of animating a character talking about background information that may or may not be even relevant to the main plot? Case in point, Kohri's horrid exposition dump scene early in EP4 about "Phantasy Star Online 2" origins on Earth. Did we really need to have a full cutscene of her mouthing off all of that exposition towards Hitsugi who already knew all of that? That scene would have served better as a 2D cutscene with minimal animating.

That said, whether these 2D cutscenes is going to be bad or good wholly depends on how often its used and executed.

I've been wanting EP1-3's story content to be streamlined so I'm very happy about the Omnibus Quests. Goodbye Matter Board! I also heard that Alma will serve as the Omnibus Quest-giver.

Altiea
Jun 26, 2017, 10:45 PM
I've been wanting EP1-3's story content to be streamlined so I'm very happy about the Omnibus Quests. Goodbye Matter Board! I also heard that Alma will serve as the Omnibus Quest-giver.

I'm just curious whether finishing the final Omnibus Quest will serve as an alternate trigger for turning Persona into you when you fight PD, since as it is now, you still have to complete 3-8 for this to happen.

Anduril
Jun 26, 2017, 11:07 PM
Another thing regarding the 2D scenes is whether or not they are fully voiced. If they are not, it is likely that this is also a cost-cutting measure, since they can easily use characters whose VAs are unavailable or too expensive whenever they want/need.

loafhero
Jun 26, 2017, 11:29 PM
Looking back, voiceless, text-reading cutscenes are pretty standard of JRPGs. I'm surprised that PSO2 is only using them now as these types of cutscenes are very efficient. Even PSU had plenty of voiceless, text-reading cutscenes that only used recycled animations.

Ryuhou
Jun 27, 2017, 05:33 AM
Dude, it's 2017, not 2001.
This day and age any rpg worth anything has fully voiced and animated cutscenes. Can you imagine a modern FF without them?
TBH I doubt Sega will do this because that would inevitably cause huge backlash. So far 100% of the story has been well animated and choreographed and was fully voiced.
Turning that into a cheap 2D unvoiced story would piss off a large amount of people. Not to mention everything in the trailer suggests the exact same fully voiced cutscenes as we have now with FX and camera changes and all. This rumor is as baseless as everyone being convinced lvl 76-80 would not give additional SP.

loafhero
Jun 27, 2017, 06:09 AM
Can you imagine a modern FF without them?

Final Fantasy XIV.

IchijinKali
Jun 27, 2017, 07:29 AM
I'm with Anduril on the whole shared story progress.

I loved making use of the separate story progress so I could get multiple rewards such as SG or Tri boosters. Having them all stuck together kinda ruins certain aspects for me it just makes your character seem . . . not really there especially if they don't call attention to it.

HEY 'Player'! I thought you were a male CAST!?!??! Why do you have the body of a female Dewman!??! Wait now male Newman!!!!! WTF female CAST!????? HOW in the male HUMAN!?!??!!

LancerFate
Jun 27, 2017, 07:47 AM
I like story sharing, tbh it was pain clear 5 times story quest for bingo.

Vatallus
Jun 27, 2017, 10:50 AM
I don't know about story sharing. I liked being able to get tri-boosters, SG tickets, etc x my number of characters. While this makes it easier for bingo boards, I think I'd still like to do it the old way.

My only question is why now? Why after 4 episodes do we suddenly want this? Are we going to get shared Bingo Boards too and shared Klotho COs to stomp out alt characters?

Ryuhou
Jun 28, 2017, 05:45 AM
Final Fantasy XIV.
I mean single player. Point is FFIV is an online game that had it from the start but PSO2 had voiced cutscenes like FF main series game from the start and switching to a far inferior style would be incredibly dumb, far dumber than anything Sega has done so far.

As for shared story, it sounds convenient for bingo etc. I hope Sega raises complete rewards accordingly because we can no longer get them several times.

loafhero
Jun 28, 2017, 05:56 AM
I mean single player. Point is FFIV is an online game that had it from the start but PSO2 had voiced cutscenes like FF main series game from the start and switching to a far inferior style would be incredibly dumb, far dumber than anything Sega has done so far.

Didn't stop this year's Japanese single-player games like Yakuza 0 (by SEGA, no less), Persona 5 or Tales of Berseria (games that had plenty of voiceless, text-reading cutscenes) from becoming a success. Japanese gamers have always been okay with voiceless cutscenes hence why so many JP games are filled with that type of cutscenes.

Also, it was never said that all of EP5's story scenes will be completely 2D. There's obviously going to be the standard 3D scenes that we're used to and maybe it'll be just as much as every Episode before. The 2D scenes are just a means to add more story content than usual without overexerting their resources. So, its going to be a mix of 3D and 2D stuff like most Japanese games. Its all pretty standard.

Tymek
Jun 30, 2017, 08:25 AM
Bumped has notes about EP5's Story Quests!

Revised Cutscene Format: Reportedly, EP5 will have 2D cutscenes as well, much like the Portable series.

Not sure how I feel about this. I guess we'll see. It better be voiced I guess.

yoshiblue
Jun 30, 2017, 08:41 AM
I assume it will be like PSZ and the PSP games where it will have voiced anniemay cutscenes and voiceless text scenes. But the entire game has been voiced for the most part, so I wouldn't worry too much.

Altiea
Jun 30, 2017, 10:13 AM
You know, I just thought of something... Most of the characters we've seen so far are AU counterparts (Xierra and Luther of course, and Ephemera is described in the same way the Profound Darkness is, implying a connection), but what are the odds that Harriet is also an AU counterpart?

I also kinda hope that the Omega and Oracle versions of the same character get to meet each other at some point.

Dark Emerald EXE
Jun 30, 2017, 10:18 AM
You know, I just thought of something... Most of the characters we've seen so far are AU counterparts (Xierra and Luther of course, and Ephemera is described in the same way the Profound Darkness is, implying a connection), but what are the odds that Harriet is also an AU counterpart?

I also kinda hope that the Omega and Oracle versions of the same character get to meet each other at some point.

I'm still convinced that Stratos is their world version of Huey so i'll buy it lol

loafhero
Jul 1, 2017, 10:19 PM
I'm still convinced that Stratos is their world version of Huey so i'll buy it lol

Except that Stratos (based on trailers) is shown to be already part of Oracle.

but what are the odds that Harriet is also an AU counterpart?

I'm gonna guess that she's the AU Matoi.

Dark Emerald EXE
Jul 1, 2017, 10:50 PM
Except that Stratos (based on trailers) is shown to be already part of Oracle.

Figured she just popped into the Arks Ship....somehow....hello Phaleg did it lol but if she' not the AU version thats fine but her design even down to her color scheme is very similiar

loafhero
Jul 1, 2017, 10:58 PM
hello Phaleg did it lol but if she' not the AU version thats fine but her design even down to her color scheme is very similiar

That's because Phaleg was already near the good guys group after Ardem and Herbert ran off with Mother's energy. There was a severe lack of explanation but it can be easily inferred that they simply teleported her with them since she was so close by and because they hoped she would give some info on Ardem.

Anduril theorized that the founder of the Hero class is Huey himself (similar to how the founder of the Braver class is Regius) so it could be that the color of Stratos's costume is simply just the result of Huey choosing those colors based on his own personal taste. That, or because she's Huey's sister like many of us currently believe until proven otherwise.

zandra117
Jul 2, 2017, 02:19 AM
I dont think Alma is an alternate universe character. She introduces herself in her own dialog as "the original Claris Claes" and if you look closely at her animal ears they are actually mechanical and possibly an accessory.

loafhero
Jul 2, 2017, 02:24 AM
I dont think Alma is an alternate universe character. She introduces herself in her own dialog as "the original Claris Claes" and if you look closely at her animal ears they are actually mechanical and possibly an accessory.

You know, I realize that I shouldn't be surprised that Alma has fake cat ears. All 3 Claris Claes's seem to love cat ear accessories.

LinkEP
Jul 2, 2017, 07:52 AM
You know, I realize that I shouldn't be surprised that Alma has fake cat ears. All 3 Claris Claes's seem to love cat ear accessories.

maybe it's a symbol for myau or related to musk cats? just guessing.

Dark Emerald EXE
Jul 2, 2017, 01:46 PM
That's because Phaleg was already near the good guys group after Ardem and Herbert ran off with Mother's energy. There was a severe lack of explanation but it can be easily inferred that they simply teleported her with them since she was so close by and because they hoped she would give some info on Ardem.

Anduril theorized that the founder of the Hero class is Huey himself (similar to how the founder of the Braver class is Regius) so it could be that the color of Stratos's costume is simply just the result of Huey choosing those colors based on his own personal taste. That, or because she's Huey's sister like many of us currently believe until proven otherwise.

That also works. I'll buy it :P

loafhero
Jul 11, 2017, 01:49 AM
New video about the Story:

[SPOILER-BOX]
https://youtu.be/gXHKQwMKa9c[/SPOILER-BOX]
So, the 2D cutscenes aren't completely 2D and are fully voiced. Character models are still rendered in 3D just as they were but they all move in a "visual novel" style of animation and its all in 1st person perspective from the Player. My guess is that this will completely replace all the standard side cutscenes or super exposition-y ones where you're just standing there listening to other NPCs talking to you while nothing significant happens.

Sexy Xiao will occupy Xierra's seat while Xierra herself is just standing next to him. Gotta be honest, I kinda feel sorry for Xierra. I get that Xiao's her boss but that rather cocky seating position that Sexy Xiao's in isn't really helping.

Unlike how EP4's Story Board had a more stylish UI, EP5 and the Omnibus Quests will arrange its cutscenes and story missions in the same list style as with regular quests. On one hand, the Story Board did look pretty neat. On the other hand, the list arrangement style does look more efficient to navigate around.

Omnibus Quest gives some nice rewards like Star Gems for playing through them. The Omnibus Quests seem to function as a sort of quick recap of past events for Alma to get up to speed. At the end of each scene, Alma will give her own commentary which is pretty interesting. Can't wait to hear what she has to say for any scene with Regius and Maria in it.

Harriet (the princess looking girl) is the one who spawns the towers that you have to defend in the Buster Quests. It may be too early to say this but Harriet does kinda remind me Alis, the original Phantasy Star's main protagonist.

Great Pan
Jul 11, 2017, 03:35 AM
Ah, the Harriet girl looks as boring as Shitsugi too! We need a Kefka-tier character in this game!

Ah well, EP5's only saving grace is gonna be the Memelord Loser anyway.

Meteor Weapon
Jul 11, 2017, 03:39 AM
I guess Episode 5 reveals Xion's origin and Profound Darkness's true nature or something, it seemed like that to me from watching the trailer. Hopefully the story goes deeper into the lore of the Great Light and the Profound Darkness people have been waiting for years lol

Kondibon
Jul 11, 2017, 05:39 AM
Profound Darkness's true natureDon't we already know what PD is? It doesn't really feel like there's any mysteries left, other than how to stop it.

loafhero
Jul 11, 2017, 07:32 AM
Huh, looking back at the 2D cutscenes of the Story trailer, it does feel super awkward and creepy that every character constantly looks at the screen even when their not talking directly to the Player and are talking with someone else on-screen.

Then again, I play a lot of Ace Attorney games so I'll probably get used to it.

Poyonche
Jul 11, 2017, 07:40 AM
Huh, looking back at the 2D cutscenes of the Story trailer, it does feel super awkward and creepy that every character constantly looks at the screen even when their not talking directly to the Player and are talking with someone else on-screen.

Can't wait to see scenes where a character says "YOU BASTARD" while looking at the screen even if it is talking to the big bad guy.

Meteor Weapon
Jul 11, 2017, 08:56 AM
Don't we already know what PD is? It doesn't really feel like there's any mysteries left, other than how to stop it.

Well the other possible theory in my head is that PD was just using that copy Xion as a vessel to even physicially manifest an avatar in the Oracle Universe which the characters even Xiao overlooked while PD's true self was just hiding in its own universe, well probably just me lol. PD just being a man-made perfect clone of Xion doesn't feel right to me lol.

Dark Emerald EXE
Jul 11, 2017, 09:37 AM

Can't wait to see scenes where a character says "YOU BASTARD" while looking at the screen even if it is talking to the big bad guy.

Oh good I wasn't the only one who thought that haha. For some reason I thought I was watching something straight out of FNAF or something. I'm sure i'll get used to it over time...

loafhero
Jul 11, 2017, 11:40 AM
Oh good I wasn't the only one who thought that haha. For some reason I thought I was watching something straight out of FNAF or something. I'm sure i'll get used to it over time...

This wouldn't have been so creepy if it wasn't for the way the character models eyes always looked rather soulless. Matoi in particular has the most terrifying gaze.

TehCubey
Jul 11, 2017, 11:44 AM
Beyond the black-hole is Omega; a “dream” derived from the universe’s memories. Here, the ARKS are regarded as fabled saviors from another world.

So, Omega-Luther is literally a meme?

Omnibus Quests are a riot. I don't know what's more hilarious - that people at Sega think your average PSO2 player is too dumb to understand the story without someone to explain it all, or that they are probably right.

Dark Emerald EXE
Jul 11, 2017, 11:49 AM
Omnibus Quests are a riot. I don't know what's more hilarious - that people at Sega think your average PSO2 player is too dumb to understand the story without someone to explain it all, or that they are probably right.

I mean.....it's just shorten way of explaining it all...also I think the premise is more so to get Alma (forgot her name) caught up...

To me this is just like how Episode 1 -3 did story via Matter Board...which up to a point was a bit tedious...so their solution to that was Ep4s Story Board....
Since Ep4 story board is so linear I guess they figured "Hey lets make 1-3 Linear too!"

I don't see a huge issue with it especially considering if someone wanted to go through 1-3 now.

loafhero
Jul 11, 2017, 12:10 PM
Pretty sure Alma's commentary isn't there to explain EP1-3 for us and is just for the sake of knowing what her opinion and comments are on certain events and individuals. I mean, how the hell could someone who has been supposedly dead before EP1's events actually explain to us, the Player who lived through those events, the plot of EP1-3?

Dark Emerald EXE
Jul 11, 2017, 03:10 PM
Pretty sure Alma's commentary isn't there to explain EP1-3 for us and is just for the sake of knowing what her opinion and comments are on certain events and individuals. I mean, how the hell could someone who has been supposedly dead before EP1's events actually explain to us, the Player who lived through those events, the plot of EP1-3?

oh no no that's what I meant.

Like this was there way to get Alma "caught up" with what happens since she was alive...which in turn.....gives the player the "caught up" version as well....oppose to just running through MB for it...

Tymek
Jul 11, 2017, 03:54 PM
But what IS EP5 Alma even? Is she even alive?

Dark Emerald EXE
Jul 11, 2017, 03:57 PM
But what IS EP5 Alma even? Is she even alive?
I mean....she's right in front of us.....like some sort of Ghost......I guess so she alive in some sense.....atleast

Meteor Weapon
Jul 11, 2017, 05:59 PM
I guess using oneself as a catalyst to seal something doesn't mean you're completely dead. I mean look at Aurora lol, she's the first Apprentice since probably centuries has passed and comes back as a ghost lol.

Tymek
Jul 11, 2017, 08:41 PM
You two have good points.

On an unrelated topic however;

It would be interesting to see an Omega!Lisa. It would be fitting if she were on Ephimera's side.

XykeVayaris
Jul 11, 2017, 08:59 PM
It would be interesting to see an Omega!Lisa. It would be fitting if she were on Ephimera's side.

What if ARKS!Lisa joins her to shoot player chara as well :ak:

loafhero
Jul 11, 2017, 10:33 PM
Doesn't look like EP4 is included in the Omnibus Quests.

http://cdn3.meme.am/cache/instances/folder10/500x/78375010/lion-king-shadowy-place-player-what-is-that-dark-shadowy-place-over-there-thats-ep4-you-must-never-g.jpg

Meteor Weapon
Jul 11, 2017, 10:50 PM
I'm still wondering what JP's think of EP4 lol

Altiea
Jul 11, 2017, 11:17 PM
Doesn't look like EP4 is included in the Omnibus Quests.

I think it's cause it's too new. We just finished EP4, after all (and it's not like it's terribly hard to understand anyway).

MaskedShardy
Jul 11, 2017, 11:55 PM
Kinda wish the story for pso2 was eye catching, i started a few days ago, im lvl 26 bounce/hunter, with lvl 120 mag, and the only story ive got is that pso2 exist as a game in the earth in the game, when its an actual universe, seperate to earths.
Other than that, the game doesnt really make any effort to keep the story in your thought, like it completely doesnt exist. You have to check the story board to figure out what the hell is going on. Cause some cutscenes u dont even see unless u check.

Altiea
Jul 12, 2017, 12:15 AM
Kinda wish the story for pso2 was eye catching, i started a few days ago, im lvl 26 bounce/hunter, with lvl 120 mag, and the only story ive got is that pso2 exist as a game in the earth in the game, when its an actual universe, seperate to earths.
Other than that, the game doesnt really make any effort to keep the story in your thought, like it completely doesnt exist. You have to check the story board to figure out what the hell is going on. Cause some cutscenes u dont even see unless u check.

The story you're playing is more the exception than the rule. The story in earlier versions of the game is very different, and quite a bit more interesting. Give it a looksee when you have the time (in Character Select, select EP1~3 Mode after choosing your character).

loafhero
Jul 12, 2017, 12:16 AM
In all fairness, it would've been interesting to see what Alma's comments are for certain EP4 scenes.

The story you're playing is more the exception than the rule. The story in earlier versions of the game is very different, and quite a bit more interesting. Give it a looksee when you have the time (in Character Select, select EP1~3 Mode after choosing your character).

Its also the only way to unlock other NPC partner cards like Patty and Tea, Sara, Melrandia, etc. This is of course assuming Omnibus Quest doesn't give you access to those NPC partner cards.

MaskedShardy
Jul 12, 2017, 12:36 AM
Im not saying the story isnt good, i really havent checked it out, but what i m trying to say is, is that the story isnt really, givin to you, and even if it was, its not really in order. the should of had story missions, instead of having just cutscenes, and cutscenes that just happen at random.

Altiea
Jul 12, 2017, 12:56 AM
Im not saying the story isnt good, i really havent checked it out, but what i m trying to say is, is that the story isnt really, givin to you, and even if it was, its not really in order. the should of had story missions, instead of having just cutscenes, and cutscenes that just happen at random.

They have Story Quests, though. But they're only available in the Story Board, instead of being in the regular Quest lineup.

oratank
Jul 12, 2017, 02:27 AM
oh i thought we are already forgot about luther was not his origin body that was the 1st kasra body.that why alma was surprise about his look

loafhero
Jul 12, 2017, 03:46 AM
oh i thought we are already forgot about luther was not his origin body that was the 1st kasra body.that why alma was surprise about his look

Noticed that too. Others have pointed out that Omega Luther might actually be AU Casra I and not necessarily AU Luther based on how he's missing the blue paint mark on the eye that Luther had.

Poyonche
Jul 12, 2017, 04:20 AM
In all fairness, it would've been interesting to see what Alma's comments are for certain EP4 scenes.

"Excuse me but... Why were you two looking at two girls taking a bath ?"

loafhero
Jul 12, 2017, 06:27 AM
"Excuse me but... Why were you two looking at two girls taking a bath ?"

Matoi: I would like to know too...

Altiea
Jul 15, 2017, 05:56 AM
http://bumped.org/psublog/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/Alisa-Pic-508x285.jpg

http://bumped.org/psublog/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/Lutz-Cuent-508x288.jpg

So these two are back.

Commence original tetraology theorycrafting?

mickbis
Jul 15, 2017, 06:28 AM
The world based on Aakashic records memories
where those in the past dwell...
now this is very interesting

zandra117
Jul 15, 2017, 01:35 PM
http://bumped.org/psublog/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/Alisa-Pic-508x285.jpg

http://bumped.org/psublog/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/Lutz-Cuent-508x288.jpg

So these two are back.

Commence original tetraology theorycrafting?

Alternate events of Phantasy Star Out Side Saga where the civilization that Lutz learns techs from is actually the Arks.
Also unlike Out Side Saga Alis has chosen to become queen and that puts it more in line with the official continuity.

For those unaware Out Side Saga was a semi-official Phantasy Star doujinshi that ran in the Sega Players Enjoy Club magazine in the late 80s to early 90s. It told the story of Alis and Lutz having an adventure outside of Algol as a result of a space ship malfunction. They encountered another civilization that helped Lutz learn technics that he would later introduce to Algol. Alis chose not to become queen in Out Side Saga and that was the main thing that contradicted the official continuity between Phantasy Star 1 and 2.

The original SPEC issues are extremely rare so sadly the complete Out Side Saga story and other semi-official Phantasy Star stories are pretty much lost unless it gets reprinted or someone with the old SPEC issues scans them.

zandra117
Jul 15, 2017, 03:29 PM
I just noticed that Lutz has a different name than usual
His original full name in the classic games is ミズリス ルツ イーサ ラナイ or Mizerith Lutz Iysa Lanai
But in this his name is ルツ セロ レイ クエント Lutz Cero Rei Quint

Lutz 005?

That implies that he is the 5th Lutz. That would make him the Lutz just before Phantasy Star 4's Rune Walsh since Rune was described as the fifth reincarnation of Lutz actually making him the 6th Lutz. I guess him being a clone can explain the newman ears.

Alis Landale's name is the same as usual. I guess this is after she left Copto then but her hair is back to its normal color.

Before I had this weird theory that the green haired newman Alis in the lobby of PSO2 was actually Minima from Phantasy Star Gaiden who also has green hair and is a clone of Alis. She does wield the Heart of Poumn / Heart of Naberius which is also known as the "Alis Claw". Yeah newmans = tech enhanced clones.

Anduril
Jul 15, 2017, 03:41 PM
Honestly, I don't think this is any proof of any kind of unified timeline, though maybe that's just my years of reading comics talking. This kinda adds on to my old theory that the dimension that PD is sealed in is kind of like a singularity at the "center" of multiple dimensions; as Omega seems to essentially be this dimension, by my theory, it is likely that we will see characters from other Phantasy Star games because this place is one that is connected to all the dimensions that PD has attempted to leaked into, and they are echoes of memories and data collected by the various Dark Falz. I mean, Subspace is a thing which easily allows for multiple versions of different characters in similar yet distinct dimensions already (I mean, didn't Emilia and co. go to a dimension that is almost identical to PSO Ep.I&II's up until their intervention resulting in both Rico and Flowen surviving?), thus allowing for things like the Earth that the Earthmen come from in PSII being a different Earth than the one we visit in PSO2 Ep.4.

zandra117
Jul 15, 2017, 03:58 PM
Also Luther's full name is presented as ルーサー ラース レイ クエント Luther Lars (Las?) Rei Quint

Mega Ultra Chicken
Jul 15, 2017, 03:59 PM
I don't like this Alis' look. Something about giving Phantasy Star's protagonist the waifu treatment rubs me the wrong way.

zandra117
Jul 15, 2017, 04:09 PM
They gave her the warrior queen look but imo the headband makes it look a bit goofy but they needed it to make her clearly recognizable as the original Alis

Tymek
Jul 15, 2017, 05:54 PM
Also Luther's full name is presented as ルーサー ラース レイ クエント Luther Lars (Las?) Rei Quint

Yup, Lars.

I can't wait to see Omega!Rico and Omega!Flowen. Do you think we'll get PSO EPIII characters too? Will we get an Omega!Myau?

Alenoir
Jul 15, 2017, 06:03 PM
Honestly, I don't think this is any proof of any kind of unified timeline

It's not. Omega's setting make it sound like it isn't.

Meteor Weapon
Jul 15, 2017, 07:13 PM
Omega Parallel was made from the memories of Xion, so it is possible that past characters are a recollection of all who has existed in the past in all point of the multiverse, but not as the same person. You can say the classic PS probably existed at one point in another universe and Xion recorded that event and has it as part of her memory. Classic PD probably existed at one point too lol

yoshiblue
Jul 15, 2017, 07:41 PM
Plot Twist: Xion is— a now mellowed out— the Classic PD. But yeah, i don't like Alis's modernized look either.

Tymek
Jul 15, 2017, 08:11 PM
Plot Twist: Xion is— a now mellowed out— the Classic PD. But yeah, i don't like Alis's modernized look either.

"modernized"
aka slit open shirt that reveals a thin stripe of breast bandage

It's disgusting, to say the least.

Altiea
Jul 15, 2017, 09:12 PM
So they somehow made Lutz look... less androgynous? Maybe he's older?

loafhero
Jul 15, 2017, 09:21 PM
Basically, Omega is one big melting pot of AU versions of nearly every character in the franchise.

I can understand the negativity regarding Omega Alis's look. I searched around Google images and I can definitely say that Alis's old look or even her Generation I appearance looked better than PSO2's interpretation of her. Although, my reason for not being too fond of Omega Alis's look has less to do with exposed cleavage and more towards how "overdesigned" her appearance is. There's too much going on with her outfit that its quite hard on the eyes. Its as gaudy as Xierra's appearance (normal and Fairy mode). In fact, "overdesigned" seems to be the main aesthetic of PSO2 in general.

Altiea
Jul 15, 2017, 09:39 PM
In fact, "overdesigned" seems to be the main aesthetic of PSO2 in general.

Annette, though.

loafhero
Jul 15, 2017, 09:53 PM
Annette, though.

She's definitely one of the few examples of overdesigned done right.

zandra117
Jul 15, 2017, 10:21 PM
classic phantasy star has this concept of the souls of heroes gathering within and continuing to live on inside a world within the sword Elysion = Ely Xion = Xion = EXcalibur

also the souls within Elsydeon are heavily implied to be the originals and not memory based reproductions like Lutz's Telepathy Ball

oratank
Jul 15, 2017, 10:58 PM
that kinda make sense with all dead hero there(well luther may had w against Pd in this time)

also

Elysium
エリシオン 
   Xion

Anduril
Jul 15, 2017, 11:41 PM
The sword from Phantasy Star IV is actually エルシディオン, not エリュシオン, so the Xion thing doesn't fit exactly.

batfax
Jul 16, 2017, 12:00 AM
Not sure I'm reading it right, but it looks like the VAs for Alis and Lutz are Sumi Shimamoto and Shō Hayami?

[spoiler-box]
https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/macbirmingham/Cinema/2016/05-May/Nausica%C3%A4-of-the-Valley-of-the-Wind/01-2.jpg?mtime=20160414164817
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d4/Max_Jenius.jpg[/spoiler-box]

I guess I can see that. =P

oratank
Jul 16, 2017, 12:45 AM
The sword from Phantasy Star IV is actually エルシディオン, not エリュシオン, so the Xion thing doesn't fit exactly.

i mean it has the conception of the afterlife

landman
Jul 16, 2017, 02:05 PM
I'm already hating episode 5...

loafhero
Jul 16, 2017, 11:29 PM
So, uuuuh:

[SPOILER-BOX]https://scontent.fkul8-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/19961332_744781389026216_3143025463623791610_n.jpg ?oh=cff2ea67f2ec8900c306706a44c18738&oe=5A0303C4

Found it from PSO2's English Community Facebook page[/SPOILER-BOX]

Altiea
Jul 17, 2017, 12:00 AM
So, uuuuh:

[SPOILER-BOX]https://scontent.fkul8-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/19961332_744781389026216_3143025463623791610_n.jpg ?oh=cff2ea67f2ec8900c306706a44c18738&oe=5A0303C4

Found it from PSO2's English Community Facebook page[/SPOILER-BOX]

Anything goes in Omega, so that's not implausible.

Vatallus
Jul 17, 2017, 12:08 AM
I wonder how neat Gettemhart would have been if his waifu didn't die.

Anduril
Jul 17, 2017, 12:15 AM
I thought I saw someone mention that they confirmed both Gettemhart and Melphonsina will appear in Omega.

Altiea
Jul 17, 2017, 12:17 AM
I thought I saw someone mention that they confirmed both Gettemhart and Melphonsina will appear in Omega.

Original Melphonsina appearing in some capacity would be interesting. Making the leap from the manga to the game.

loafhero
Jul 17, 2017, 12:18 AM
We were denied a 1v1 against him in EP1 since Player was weak then but now that the Player is pretty much the strongest person in ARKS, I sure hope Gettemhart is on the bad guy's side just so we could kick his ass 1v1 and I so hope the story treats it as a complete curbstomp just for gratification.

Vatallus
Jul 17, 2017, 12:25 AM
Original Melphonsina appearing in some capacity would be interesting. Making the leap from the manga to the game.

I welcome this at it would make it easier to make a clone of her. Since they would have to actually make a model of her for us to steal borrow.

Alenoir
Jul 17, 2017, 01:21 AM

She is in, voiced by Sakamoto Maaya. You know, Suzumura Kenichi (Hagito)'s wife.

Krystalwitch
Jul 17, 2017, 09:16 AM
Both Gettemhart and Melphonsina were announced on the end of stream trailer.

[spoiler-box]http://i.imgur.com/8A4V8S7.png[/spoiler-box]

Edit: Damn I forgot how to bbcode here.

Tymek
Jul 17, 2017, 09:55 AM
Did everyone somehow overlook that?

loafhero
Jul 17, 2017, 12:03 PM
Did everyone somehow overlook that?

That Gettemhart and Melphonsina trailer appearance lasted for only a few seconds. Its understandable for anyone to miss that part in a 5 and a half hour stream.

yoshiblue
Jul 17, 2017, 12:27 PM
It's also kind of expected. You see it and go, "Oh, well there they are." You don't really do something like Chapter 0 if you're not planning on doing something with the characters later. Especially since world development within Oracle is still taking a back seat.

Altiea
Jul 17, 2017, 08:27 PM
You know, they said that the theme of EP5 was "Reincarnation". Maybe this is what they meant. Not just Hero, which takes existing weapons and "reimagines" them, but with characters, taking characters new and old and re-presenting in a new way.

loafhero
Jul 18, 2017, 02:03 AM
Don't see why Gettemhart needed to be given those hideous spiked shoulder pads. As if he wasn't so edgylord-y enough as it is when he was OG Gettemhart.

Meanwhile, looks like Omega Melphonsina is a full Twin Dagger Fighter this time instead of half-assing it by being a questionable "balance" between Twin Dagger & Talis user like OG Melphonsina.

Would be pretty funny if Matoi expresses a bit of an attraction to Omega Melphonsina considering how if the Player hadn't time travelled back during Matoi's Claris Claes II days, Melphonsina would have been in Player's position instead.

Mattykins
Jul 18, 2017, 03:15 AM
If it matters, they put a higher-quality version of the trailer w/ Gettem and Mel on the youtubes

[SPOILER-BOX]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NO-5nEH9Vxw
They show up around 3:30[/SPOILER-BOX]

loafhero
Jul 18, 2017, 04:57 AM
If it matters, they put a higher-quality version of the trailer w/ Gettem and Mel on the youtubes

[SPOILER-BOX]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NO-5nEH9Vxw
They show up around 3:30[/SPOILER-BOX]

Ah, thanks. This just popped up an hour ago in my subscriptions.

Zanverse
Jul 18, 2017, 07:40 AM
I just realized... There isn't even a CGI Trailer for Episode 5! Usually they'd release one at the end of the last Livestream before an episode, no?

Dark Emerald EXE
Jul 18, 2017, 07:49 AM
They didn't show Ep4 Trailer until a lil bit after Ep4 actually came out. (shortly before Yamato EQ came out)

I believe they did the same with Ep3 and Magatsu...

I dont remember about Ep2

Anduril
Jul 18, 2017, 10:35 AM
They didn't show Ep4 Trailer until a lil bit after Ep4 actually came out. (shortly before Yamato EQ came out)

I believe they did the same with Ep3 and Magatsu...

I dont remember about Ep2
2nd OP came out with the Vita version (Episode 1 OP#2 as it came out before Ep.2 was revealed), and we didn't get the OP featuring Braver until around the first Mining Base EQ (Ep2 released July 2013, the official Youtube channel posted the new OP in November 2013, and TD1 came out in December 2013).

loafhero
Jul 18, 2017, 10:37 AM
Just noticed in the trailers that Player is also using a Coat Edge to tear through the Demons. My guess is that its the Coat Edge Ver2 which is also an all-class weapon like the Coat Doublis. So, yay! Player has finally canonically started using a 13* Weapon. About time too. Most of the other NPCs who are supposed to be weaker than him/her already have 13* Weapons.

EDIT: Also, looking again at Alis's appearance in the new trailer... shit, its worst than I thought. Its not just her cleavage area that's exposed. They gave Alis the Matoi treatment by having her show off a lot midriff too. Like why? This is a character known for wearing a full plate of armor on her upper side. They gave her some leg armor and extra armor on her arms and shoulders so why half-ass it by giving her less protection in the center? All that leg and arm armor isn't gonna do shit if the center's got no protection!

Meteor Weapon
Jul 18, 2017, 10:55 AM
Talking about less cloth armor making any sense in a modern jrpg is kinda pointless these days. Final Fantasy and Star Ocean wasn't any better tbh.

loafhero
Jul 18, 2017, 11:03 AM
Talking about less cloth armor making any sense in a modern jrpg is kinda pointless these days. Final Fantasy and Star Ocean wasn't any better tbh.

Ha, I know but the thing that bothers me is that why do they bother giving Alis any armor at all if their gonna sex up her center area with no armor and show off more skin? They should've either not give her any armor at all or just stick to her old clothes. I would have taken that over this half-assed attempt at fanservice.

Dark Emerald EXE
Jul 18, 2017, 11:07 AM
Maybe because I'm desensitized to this sort of things but Matoi ep4 attire I actually didn't mind the skin reveal. Atleast it's not as bad as Bluessy Requiem haha

Than again most of time......to be a female in rpg....is to have skimpy gear.

In real life it's not practical and makes no sense......but any way to get that sweet sweet Male populace (and the ladies) to buy said stuff......

Altiea
Jul 18, 2017, 11:29 AM
I don't think anyone would have cared so much if they gave this exact same outfit to literally any other character. But since this is Alis Landale we're talking about, I think people were expecting them to stay faithful to her original design.

And no one cares about Lutz. He's here too!

oratank
Jul 18, 2017, 11:33 AM
fullplate armor<skimpy armor + magic :p

Dark Emerald EXE
Jul 18, 2017, 11:34 AM
I can see that....fair enough

Great Pan
Jul 18, 2017, 06:55 PM
Nah, full-armored females are better than skimpy ones anyway.

SteveCZ
Jul 18, 2017, 08:34 PM
Still, looking forward for Arissa's outfit available to buy. <3 ...

Well I guess I'm one of the lowest example, a direct, willing victim of this kind of thing. :-|

Altiea
Jul 18, 2017, 08:36 PM
Still, looking forward for Arissa's outfit available to buy. <3 ...

Well I guess I'm one of the lowest example, a direct, willing victim of this kind of thing. :-|

I dunno, hard to distinguish majorities and minorities around here. A lot of people here are very vocal about their dislike of PSO2's fashion sense.

loafhero
Jul 18, 2017, 10:04 PM
Maybe because I'm desensitized to this sort of things but Matoi ep4 attire I actually didn't mind the skin reveal. Atleast it's not as bad as Bluessy Requiem haha

I don't complain about Matoi's EP4 look either, mainly because wearing revealing clothes is pretty much Matoi's thing since the first Episode (Plus, Innocent Cluster does look good, at least to me). Whenever I complain about her EP3 look, its not because the outfit is revealing but because the outfit (together with her hairstyle then) just looked bad. This, along with the fact that Matoi doesn't have any armor on so at least their sticking to one thing instead of trying for a bad mix-and-match. It kinda helps that Matoi's revealing attire is sometimes poked fun at in-universe.

Alis Landale has never had a sexed up appearance before but that never stopped her from becoming a well-known JRPG protagonist. Is SEGA not confident at all that there are enough old school Phantasy Star fans and decided to stick to their usual method of appeasing the waifu-loving crowd? Last I recall, no one in the crowd during the livestream event cheered or made any kind of sounds when Alis and Lutz was revealed.

Meteor Weapon
Jul 18, 2017, 10:53 PM
People just cheered on just Luther iirc lol.

Altiea
Jul 19, 2017, 12:19 AM
A little extra thingy: the freshly re-designed Player's Site (http://pso2.jp/players/) features audio from Matoi (Satomi Sato) giving a countdown bit for EP5.

oratank
Jul 19, 2017, 12:33 AM
oh hell yeah now i can access player'ssite without proxy.hope this will apply on game too

Shinamori
Jul 19, 2017, 12:41 AM
It should since, if I remember correctly, the site and game runs on the same server.

Meteor Weapon
Jul 19, 2017, 12:52 AM
I tried playing on vita last time when site is accessible without vpn and proxy, can't connect for some reason.

loafhero
Jul 19, 2017, 12:56 AM
I somehow never tire of hearing Matoi going "Eh he he~ Genki~?"

Altiea
Jul 19, 2017, 01:05 AM
I somehow never tire of hearing Matoi going "Eh he he~ Genki~?"

Satomi Sato playing Matoi is just really calming to listen to.

Meteor Weapon
Jul 19, 2017, 01:10 AM
I like this one better

https://youtu.be/qtS_pkuwDqc?t=4m7s

Altiea
Jul 19, 2017, 10:42 AM
Main site updated again, (http://pso2.jp/players/) this time with Xierra giving a countdown bit.

Dark Emerald EXE
Jul 19, 2017, 10:56 AM
Last I recall, no one in the crowd during the livestream event cheered or made any kind of sounds when Alis and Lutz was revealed.

Could of been like me and had no idea who it was haha

huck
Jul 19, 2017, 11:21 AM
I dunno, hard to distinguish majorities and minorities around here. A lot of people here are very vocal about their dislike of PSO2's fashion sense.

Alot of skimpy outfits lol

loafhero
Jul 19, 2017, 12:05 PM
I can't help but imagine that during the brainstorming session for EP5, one exec brought in a picture of Alis, took a bottle of liquid paper, pour said liquid paper over Alis's torso area, then doodled cleavage on it followed by a round of applause by everyone in the room.

starwind75043
Jul 19, 2017, 12:33 PM
What is the potential of us running into some from the pso1 to PSU era of the series? My knowledge of Phantasy star is very limited to the few times I played it on my firends dad master system lol.

Tymek
Jul 19, 2017, 12:47 PM
A little extra thingy: the freshly re-designed Player's Site (http://pso2.jp/players/) features audio from Matoi (Satomi Sato) giving a countdown bit for EP5.

Oh, it's already online? Awesome! And what a neat touch!

Altiea
Jul 19, 2017, 12:55 PM
What is the potential of us running into some from the pso1 to PSU era of the series? My knowledge of Phantasy star is very limited to the few times I played it on my firends dad master system lol.

It seems a little less likely than original tetralogy characters, since we got post-tetralogy characters as guests in LQs and Lobby and stuff.

Anduril
Jul 19, 2017, 01:18 PM

Yeah, they may not go past the Classic series if the Omega story line only lasts for a single episode.

~~~~~~
Also, I find it interesting that Alisa is a Newman with the short stubby ears:
[spoiler-box]http://i.imgur.com/hNeZeMJ.png[/spoiler-box]
Yet, Gettemhart, along with his group, still seems to be Human:
[spoiler-box]http://i.imgur.com/m4J6olx.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/NYZkmH6.png[/spoiler-box]

It's going to be a High Elves, lowly Humans thing, isn't it?

Dark Emerald EXE
Jul 19, 2017, 01:28 PM
This is Neudaiz all over again!!!!

Dat superiority complex.

oratank
Jul 19, 2017, 01:34 PM
Neudaiz Guardian Miko i see someone is going to die lol

loafhero
Jul 19, 2017, 09:22 PM
Seeing as how Omega doesn't seem to have any obvious signs of technology, that could mean we might be seeing Human or Newman interpretations of CAST characters. While female CASTs like Lisa probably won't look all that different from their Oracle counterparts, male CASTs (who always look more machine than human) like Saga could be a huge surprise if there happens to be an Omega Saga. Very likely too since Saga and Luther share the same voice actor so they could easily include an Omega Saga without any scheduling issues.

A possible Omega Fourier could have a surprising Human or Newman appearance too since Oracle Fourier always wears a helmet.

Shear
Jul 20, 2017, 01:52 AM
Very likely too since Saga and Luther share the same voice actor
Wait ... I know the rest is important but is this for real!? They sound different like Night and day in my Ears.

Japan VA's too strong O.o

On a side note I find it kinda funny that Both PSO2 and FFXIV have a thing called Omega that is basically a Crossover with older Games now :p

loafhero
Jul 20, 2017, 03:36 AM
Wait ... I know the rest is important but is this for real!? They sound different like Night and day in my Ears.

Its worth noting that Saga has a voice filter which makes it slightly harder to detect the similarities.

On a side note I find it kinda funny that Both PSO2 and FFXIV have a thing called Omega that is basically a Crossover with older Games now :p

This can't be a coincidence.

zandra117
Jul 20, 2017, 04:29 AM
I believe it was revealed in older dialog that Lisa was a newman before she became a cast. Omega Lisa might appear in her original newman form.

Tymek
Jul 20, 2017, 05:19 AM
I believe it was revealed in older dialog that Lisa was a newman before she became a cast. Omega Lisa might appear in her original newman form.

Wait, WHAT?!

Sirius-91
Jul 20, 2017, 05:57 AM
She only hinted that she was formally a weak, frail girl. No word on her race before becoming a cast.

Also, to shoot down your theory, only people who have "died" from oracle universe will show up in Omega.

yoshiblue
Jul 20, 2017, 09:43 AM
She's dead on the inside.:wacko:

Dark Emerald EXE
Jul 20, 2017, 10:16 AM
All I know is Lisa is the best girl but yea they said those who "left" the Oracle would appear...considering we've so far seen Luther, Gettemhart and Melphonsia (did I spell that right?) what Sirius said appears correct.

Wonder would that include Xion?

Altiea
Jul 20, 2017, 10:26 AM
But apparently, they still had to make Fairy Xierra because we need an Operator and the regular Xierra won't cut it for FANTASY LAND.

New countdown bit for the day. (http://pso2.jp/players/) We get to hear Stratos this time!

IchijinKali
Jul 20, 2017, 11:47 AM
I just hope for two things.
No other Episode 4 characters, Xiera is bad enough don't need to add to it.
Xiera doesn't even so much as look at another character's chest size and compare it or even mention its size.

Get past those two points I imagine I'll enjoy Episode 5 just fine as long as Gettemhart, Lisa, and Melophonsia are actually involved in the story.

oratank
Jul 20, 2017, 12:24 PM
All I know is Lisa is the best girl but yea they said those who "left" the Oracle would appear...considering we've so far seen Luther, Gettemhart and Melphonsia (did I spell that right?) what Sirius said appears correct.

Wonder would that include Xion?

and may be the 2 of six council that die by apprentice

Anduril
Jul 20, 2017, 12:48 PM
and may be the 2 of six council that die by apprentice

This makes me wonder, does Casra I not count as having "left Oracle" because he lived on as his own clone? Also, does Alma showing up as a spirit(?) also disqualify her from having an Omega counterpart?