PDA

View Full Version : Phantasy Star Online 2 × Monster Hunter Frontier Collab in the works

kurokyosuke
Jun 23, 2017, 01:07 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRnEdrNHTGc

MHF is having its 10th anniversary soon. After the interview with Sakai, MHF's producer, Miyashita, requested a collaboration with PSO2 and Sakai promptly accepted. When the collab is going to happen hasn't been set yet, but it's definitely happening.

KaizoKage
Jun 23, 2017, 01:28 AM
woah, Im excited for this, gonna spend a lot just to get all of the costumes if this is true

MidiPour
Jun 23, 2017, 02:48 AM
Could anyone fill me in on what this could realistically mean? Imagining rathalos, nibelsnarf and zinogre in the game with paleco mags.

Altiea
Jun 23, 2017, 02:57 AM
Could anyone fill me in on what this could realistically mean? Imagining rathalos, nibelsnarf and zinogre in the gamem with paleco mags.

Maybe some MHF armor as cosmetics, possibly a Tonfa weapon camo if we get lucky. The last major scale collab was with FFXIV, which added a permanent boss (Odin), but the PSO2 team said that the FFXIV collab was really difficult and such a collab wouldn't happen again for quite a while, so.

For the record, it's also very rare for the game it's collaborating with to ever get anything in return. The only games that ever featured PSO2 stuff that I can recall are Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA F, Sonic Runners, and Gravity Rush 2, and the former two are SEGA properties.

[Ayumi]
Jun 23, 2017, 03:08 AM
Meh.
Played a demo of a MH game once. Was way too slow for me. Didn't like the designs much, then found out there's no actual leveling/exp system. Just you get better gear and that's about it.

If any cool accessories come out of it, then cool. Might get a few. IF not, just another collab I don't care for once again.

oratank
Jun 23, 2017, 03:42 AM
they keep announcing new collabo but where are those weaponoid costume

Great Pan
Jun 23, 2017, 04:01 AM
Another pointless collab, WHERE IS MY BATMAN COLLAB!

kurokyosuke
Jun 23, 2017, 04:08 AM
Could anyone fill me in on what this could realistically mean? Imagining rathalos, nibelsnarf and zinogre in the gamem with paleco mags.

Well, considering how the FFXIV collab went, it could potentially be big. Though if a monster were to be recreated in PSO2, it'd have to be the flagship Rathalos, and maybe Rathian. I could die happy if we got the female Kirin armor set as an outfit.

red1228
Jun 23, 2017, 04:35 AM
As awesome as this is, I would only expect Rathalos gear and/or the early "Hunter" set, since those are the two that are always used for collaborations in other games.
Considering how difficult it was for Sega to animate/code Odin into PSO2, I have my doubts about any of MH's creatures showing up (would be really cool though).

As easily as a Tonfa camo for knuckles would work, I don't think its got a very good chance either. They were only in one game (despite said game being an on-going MMO'ish Monster Hunter) and were rarely, if ever in any of the promotional art for said game. I'd expect some form of Bone Blade / Wyvern's Jaw for a Sword camo. I'd also argue that we already have Tonfa's for a knuckle camo, but for years now Sega has demonstrated that re-releasing cosmetics in a different color / lewder version is their bread & butter.

kurokyosuke
Jun 23, 2017, 05:33 AM
The last major scale collab was with FFXIV, which added a permanent boss (Odin), but the PSO2 team said that the FFXIV collab was really difficult and such a collab wouldn't happen again for quite a while, so.

I would think a year is "quite a while". And considering that MHF will be hitting its 10th year and PSO2 its 5th, I feel like we can expect something good. But honestly, we can speculate all we want right now, but the fact is that the collaboration has only just been greenlit. We won't know anything else until they actually get started on production.

Altiea
Jun 23, 2017, 08:11 AM
As awesome as this is, I would only expect Rathalos gear and/or the early "Hunter" set, since those are the two that are always used for collaborations in other games.
Considering how difficult it was for Sega to animate/code Odin into PSO2, I have my doubts about any of MH's creatures showing up (would be really cool though).

As easily as a Tonfa camo for knuckles would work, I don't think its got a very good chance either. They were only in one game (despite said game being an on-going MMO'ish Monster Hunter) and were rarely, if ever in any of the promotional art for said game. I'd expect some form of Bone Blade / Wyvern's Jaw for a Sword camo. I'd also argue that we already have Tonfa's for a knuckle camo, but for years now Sega has demonstrated that re-releasing cosmetics in a different color / lewder version is their bread & butter.

But the collab is with Frontier, the game that has Tonfas in it...

Meteor Weapon
Jun 23, 2017, 09:10 AM

This is getting old.

red1228
Jun 23, 2017, 09:10 AM
But the collab is with Frontier, the game that has Tonfas in it...
Its more Monster Hunter stuff, so I'll gladly accept being proven wrong with my thinking in this particular situation. I just don't feel like Tonfas are what we'll get is all.

Alenoir
Jun 23, 2017, 01:59 PM
PSO2と言えば節操のないコラボ

I lol'd. Man Sakai, you actually know. >_>

Dark Emerald EXE
Jun 23, 2017, 02:02 PM

Why would we get this of all things? lol

Unless I'm culturally insensitive but seem likes only collabs we've had was series that where created in Japan

AzurEnd
Jun 23, 2017, 02:07 PM
Out of all the Monster Hunter games they could collab with they just had to pick Frontier... Eitherway im super stoked we are actually getting a Monster Hunter collab though.

Alenoir
Jun 23, 2017, 02:09 PM
According to Sakai's word in the interview, they will pretty much collabo with anyone that offers.

That probably means Warner Bros never even have any offers for collaborations.

Out of all the Monster Hunter games they could collab with they just had to pick Frontier...

10 year anniversary thing apparently. Which other MH is an online game outside of the upcoming World?

AzurEnd
Jun 23, 2017, 02:17 PM
According to Sakai's word in the interview, they will pretty much collabo with anyone that offers.

That probably means Warner Bros never even have any offers for collaborations.

10 year anniversary thing apparently. Which other MH is an online game outside of the upcoming World?

Monster Hunter Online is a thing. Though that game didnt really see a release outside of China I think it was? Actually all the Monster Hunter games in recent years on handheld have had online components to em.

Alenoir
Jun 23, 2017, 02:29 PM
Monster Hunter Online is a thing. Though that game didnt really see a release outside of China I think it was? Actually all the Monster Hunter games in recent years on handheld have had online components to em.

I mean, purely online. I know most MH stuffs allows multiplayer one way or the other.

MH Online was that Tencent one? .-. Don't know what really happened to it after the initial reveal, no site I visit really covered any news of it after that. :<

Altiea
Jun 23, 2017, 02:33 PM
I mean, purely online. I know most MH stuffs allows multiplayer one way or the other.

MH Online was that Tencent one? .-. Don't know what really happened to it after the initial reveal, no site I visit really covered any news of it after that. :<

MHO is the China-exclusive online one. I haven't heard much about it, except it looks super pretty and their English translation team broke up.

As it stands, only Frontier and Online are online-only. The rest are offline with online components (or spinoffs).

AzurEnd
Jun 23, 2017, 02:37 PM

This one, its purely online and its still running today and even has an English Patch. http://mho.qq.com/
You can find tons of gameplay videos of it and a butt load of reviews on Youtube from as recent as a month ago.

Alenoir
Jun 23, 2017, 10:20 PM
This one, its purely online and its still running today and even has an English Patch. http://mho.qq.com/
You can find tons of gameplay videos of it and a butt load of reviews on Youtube from as recent as a month ago.

I don't actually need any English patch if I want to read up (and play) on the game, but reading English names in Chinese is the worst headache in the entire universe. Even worst than trying to learn Japanese. x_x

But yeah, I was mainly curious because AzurEnd mentioned about them picking Frontier instead of other entries. :o

kurokyosuke
Jun 23, 2017, 11:34 PM
Out of all the Monster Hunter games they could collab with they just had to pick Frontier... Eitherway im super stoked we are actually getting a Monster Hunter collab though.

You say that like picking Frontier is a bad thing.

But yeah, I was mainly curious because AzurEnd mentioned about them picking Frontier instead of other entries. :o

Funny how you say that while quoting AzurEnd.

Alenoir
Jun 23, 2017, 11:56 PM
Funny how you say that while quoting AzurEnd.
Oops, didn't notice. /o\

ArcaneTechs
Jun 24, 2017, 12:36 AM
they tried to set up something for PSO2xMHF years ago and they're barely gonna get the ball rolling on this finally, welp as long as I get my Kirin and Rajang outfits I'll be okay with this but I expect this collab to happen around MHW 2018 release or possibly around Winter, heck sooner the better

Asellus
Jun 26, 2017, 12:27 AM
Not surprised, this was inevitable and actually long overdue.

loafhero
Jun 26, 2017, 01:03 AM
Not bad of a collab idea. Monster Hunter has some sweet looking armor and weapons.

It would be cool if they make at least one monster from MH as a special boss for PSO2 in the same vein as Odin from FFXIV was.

Anduril
Jun 26, 2017, 01:26 AM
It would be cool if they make at least one monster from MH as a special boss for PSO2 in the same vein as Odin from FFXIV was.

Well, it is about that time of year for a new collab boss.
Summer 2013: Cougar NX from Border Break
Summer 2014: Knight Gear from Shining Force Cross Exlesia
Summer 2015: Gal Gryphon from PSO EP I&II as part of the 15th Anniversary
Summer 2016: Odin from FFXIV

Ziel
Jun 27, 2017, 09:23 AM
Finally, was waiting for a monhun collab way before i was waiting for the blazblue one.

We will probably (highly) get: Rathalos armor M/F, hunter set, red wing sword, carbalite sword, maybe the rathling gun and a palico/nyanta classic siamese skin mag, since thats the stuff they always add on other games when they let them create MH collab stuff.

Now for the evil part: add a cook steak LA and watch it break the market.

They COULD reskin vol dragon to a rathalos but too much work.

At least we can gather with an outfit that makes sense.

Zorak000
Jun 14, 2018, 04:44 PM
so uh, next friday marks a full year since this was announced

Sayara
Jun 14, 2018, 10:06 PM
Probably a dead prospect, MH is crossing with FFXIV in the near future, so its possible its either going to both, or just a dead deal.

Zorak000
Jun 15, 2018, 07:26 AM
yeah; I figure if we don't hear anything about it in the upcoming PSO2 station then it's probably dead in the water

Great Pan
Jun 17, 2018, 06:56 PM
The baldhead Sakai is pretty angered with this. MHW x FF14 is coming out before PSO2's collab.

ArcaneTechs
Jun 18, 2018, 02:26 AM
The baldhead Sakai is pretty angered with this. MHW x FF14 is coming out before PSO2's collab.
its been like years since this was suppose to happen and it hasnt lol

wahahaha
Jun 18, 2018, 02:33 AM
FF x Pso2 collab took around 2 years if I’m not mistaken (was hinted around 2014)

ArcaneTechs
Jun 18, 2018, 02:37 AM
FF x Pso2 collab took around 2 years if I’m not mistaken (was hinted around 2014)
referring to the collab that was suppose to happen in FF14 that i remember reading the Dev's from FF14 didnt know how to approach a collab raid fight that they were thinking of ways to do it. Years later they still haven't done it.

I mean people were making jokes about how the game came to the West just not in a good way lol

Zorak000
Jul 6, 2018, 10:12 AM
http://www.bumped.org/psublog/monster-hunter-frontier-z-collaborates-with-pso2/ oh hey they didn't forget about it

XrosBlader821
Jul 6, 2018, 10:22 AM
Oh that's cool. I'll guess we'll se tomorrow the PSO2 side of this collab then

Zorak000
Jul 6, 2018, 10:27 AM
maybe, though they just announced that we would see more during the next PSO2 Station on the 24th; but that might not stop Ichitaro