PDA

View Full Version : Would you rather have Sega keep on introducing more mechanics or enhance the old one

AirinMikune
Jul 3, 2017, 11:21 AM
It's kinda sad that Sega's cycle of new content is about 2 months waiting in hype, about 2 weeks people playing the new content then ghost town.

We have advanced quest, only updated once, still SH, stones have no good use.
Extreme Quest which got a few floors but that's about it
Time Attack...this gets really boring really fast, people just spam Shironia and get it done.
Ultimate Quest, really popular when Ares was the first 13* but then no one plays it anymore.
Challenge Quest, haven't even tried this one.
PVP, still strong due to the rewards.
Crafting, when is the last time this was updated?
Extending, didn't even bother to upgrade to be relevant
Gathering, was a really good addition but they stopped adding rings.

That is a lot of content Sega could had been improving upon. I wish they would cycle different quest to received an EXP Boost/Drop rate a day so all of them can be played.

Would player be happy if Sega bring it back to basic or new content is always the way to go?

Vatallus
Jul 3, 2017, 12:49 PM
Fix Ultimate Quest and make more Challenge Quest. Advance Quest actually reaches XH once enemies reach lv 71+. It just doesn't say XH.

PVP was what most of us expected from a PSO game. Will you can always get a match if you aren't a sinner but there is still only maybe a max of 150 players playing it during up hours. Which isn't that much when you factor in 10 ships have access to it.

Not really interested in crafting besides timed abilities. Never enjoyed Gathering.

----

Ultimate Quest should have been a new difficultly, and everything should of got an Ultimate version. Remember the first PSO? How 90% of the enemies were altered, had a huge stat/speed boost and different weaknesses? I want to be able to pick a quest... lets me think of some as an example. I want to be able to play Mining Base Despair/Demise and pick Ultimate difficulty. I want to be able to play Dark Falz Elder and pick Ultimate. etc I didn't want it limited to just 3 quest that no one is going to play.

More Challenge Quest would be preferred over PVP imo. I want something like Challenge Quest 1 that made a player think a little bit on what weapons to take and how to do things, but I would like it to have the diversity of Challenge Quest 2 where each weapon type has a purpose and isn't limited to "Buy wand here, buy launcher/partizan here, buy Twin Daggers here."

isCasted
Jul 3, 2017, 01:15 PM
They need to design some actual god damn quests. The game is around 40 GBs in size, yet there's barely any content worth running. All regularily accessible content is procedurally-generated, all fun content depends on 11 other people, the most interesting content is time-gated. They made a single Train Ghidoran Suppression Arks Quest that's fun to run over and over, because it has a basic level of challenge and guaranteed enemy spawns. Why can't we have more quests like that for all the areas? Why can't we have proper rewards for these quests (like, stones for actually decent weapons or, you know, actual meseta rewards)?
A lot of enemies and areas seem wasted, Ultimate especially so. They should've been treated like all other areas - with proper single-party quests and isolated boss fights.
They really could reuse lots of old stuff in a fun and/or creative way to create new experiences. All the necessary assets are already in the game, they're just being wasted.

Extreme Quests are only fun because they provide fixed challenges (or, at least, used to). The actual original part about them, which is floor gimmick (with unnecessary running and load times), stage orders and weapon weaknesses/resistances are nuisances more than anything. Most of those of Time Attack quests that are covered by Klotho money are, again, filled with annoyances. Having to do them every week to have a single stable source of money in this game is tiring. The more recent ones are fun, but there's no incentive to do them whatsoever. The idea could easily be dropped in favor of properly designed Arks Quests with time-based ranking.

Challenge Quests are great, but they need saving. Once again, it's 12-player content, so it has to be regulated by boost events to stay relevant. There are no relevant rewards. The miles grind for current rewards is unreal.

Crafting and gathering suck, period. Equipment crafting is just making them have predetermined stats, which is the laziest excuse of a system ever. Tech crafting is an RNG mess. PA crafting is glorified balance changes. Timed abilities... just who the fuck came up with an idea that obscure? Gathering is a failed attempt at a cash grab. Convoluted, boring, repetitive. The reward is not a justification for its existence.

The problem of content not worth running lies in the constant perpetuation of an idea that everything new has to be limited-time, 12-player and/or gated in some form or another, and if it's not it's either unrewarding or unfun. What has to change is the directors' mindset about what constitutes as a fun experience.

Golgotha
Jul 3, 2017, 02:56 PM
Aside from abandoned mechanics, the entire feature of Fields in itself is deprecated.

People visibly disliked random maps with codes that don't require immediate killing, so any trace of this mechanic, etrials, weather, was completely wiped out. Its been two years since every new quest in the game has premade or very narrow structure. Only tokyo had a semblance of a field. Story was streamlined the hell out of fields, Vegas has six map variations, and ultimate amduscia is just a track.
I guess it is what everyone wanted, less gameplay and less distraction between player and a prize.
No updates on existing quests either, the only major tweaks recently were with AQ at level extension and anime characters etrials.

And now, we have a statement that entire upcoming episode will not have new fields.
Its kind of funny, the game flow defining thing that attracted me to pso2 in the first place, was alienated as a nuisance in a grinding routine.

Zorak000
Jul 3, 2017, 03:31 PM
murdertrains were mindless fun for a while; but over time I gotta admit I prefer the seasonal quest race tracks more.

free fields just gotta get rebranded as gathering quests at this point.
not a fan of gathering personally, just another thing that isnt fighting stuff that we have to juggle.
I would not mind crafting if I didn't need to leave the block to do anything related to it; or at least if I could disassemble items in the recycle shop or something. it's really the whole "you have to leave the block to do this stuff" thing that gets me.

Train Ghidoran Suppression, as mentioned, was a really well designed quest; it's a complete shame they didn't make one for Vegas.

I would like better sources for Flict, Alter, Modulator, and Returner. take a look at Doom Break: they added it to laplace's Demon's drops but it hardly did anything to my supply of them, since it required running free tokyo and vegas to encounter him. but adding him to the Seasonal EQ has me swimming in more doom breaks than I knew what to do with (until I realized I could just combine them with Mutation II units for some cheap yet effective affixing fodder)

anyway. I would like them to enhance some older things; AQs are actually kind of in the best possible place I could think of for them, it's just I wish there was more I could do with these rocks than get those 6-slot weapons for affixing.
the classic XQs are in a dire need of a rework; the solo XQs almost kinda work but solo content sucks when your first non-halfdoll death means you just completely wasted your time. if anything, I at least wish I could exchange rocks/ore/spellstones for 4-5 slot flict/alter units instead of that pitiful 2-slot for 50 ore...
Time Attacks, Abductions, and Clones are also in a really bad place. modulator and returner could use something a little more reliable.

there's more I could write but I dont think it's anything that hasn't been echoed in here already

AirinMikune
Jul 3, 2017, 05:28 PM
I agreed to all your points especially the field exploration one. They use to be relevant with MPA looking for a crystal then PSO Burst, best way to level back then.

Now I only do it for feature quest and god forbid I always get the longest field with the weird exit point generated for me.

I think one of the field done right is Kuron and Shironia, 1 field no fuss, straight to boss quest. One of the worse is caves with that stupid wall blocking EQ, I really hated that.

I am really glad they will be putting a separate storage for materials, like who would had thought having about a hundred gathered items hogging up storage space was a good idea?

I would also want to do something with the old updated weapons, we have tons of weapon but only like the top 0.1% useful, crafting should had fixed this, unique potential as well but that's about it.

Touka
Jul 3, 2017, 06:36 PM
There needs to be more focus on older content yes.I've always thought of PSO 2 updates as piling on new stuff on a flimsy base.Without EQ's or dailies this game has very little to offer imo.

Seeing as how we're at the halfway point with episode 5 I think it's now or never if Sega wants to change things up,I doubt they ever will though.

Ezodagrom
Jul 3, 2017, 09:10 PM
I wish they would streamline alot of the existing content, especially arks quests, free fields, and making better use of featured quests/daily orders (having featured areas instead of 2 of the 3 featured quests being random, having the quests being featured and the available daily orders matching the featured area for the day), while of course adding XH to older areas, which is long overdue.

Spoiler-boxing a few random ideas that will never happen, just me rambling about stuff that I would like to happen I guess. ^^;
[spoiler-box]I guess for me the ideal setup would be:
- replace existing arks quests and time attack quests with a new type of arks quests, 1 quest per area, 4 player mpa, structured a bit like the train ghidoran quest but slightly lengthier (I think something that would take average parties around 10~15 mins would be fine). The areas would have set spawns and emergency codes, and would be separated by 3 parts, area 1, area 2 ending on miniboss, and area 3 with the boss alone (in the case of forest and desert, fang kitties and dark ragne would be fine as the bosses for each).

- replace existing free fields with quests more like tokyo and vegas free fields, single area points based 12 player quests (these would keep the gathering points).

- new quest category, special quests, the current vegas riding quests would be in this section, they could use existing assets/areas/features to create new similar types of quests, time based quests with a goal of reaching a high score, each area could have its own gimmicks, such as, one area having players dealing with multiple baizes or multiple funji?

- replace naberius and lillipa ultimate quests with quests more alike ultimate amduscia.

- replace featured quests with featured areas, the featured quests list would have the 3 quests from the featured area (arks quest, free field, special quest), and the daily orders should match the current featured area.
With all DCOs matching the featured area, in my opinion this should be the best client orders based way of making meseta, replacing Klotho's TACOs completely. Would be a way of keeping every area relevant too.

The 3 types of quests should also have their own rewards outside of this, so each of them could have a purpose.

* arks quest, other than the easily accessible miniboss and boss which could be a great target for collection files, maybe they could have time based client orders from Klotho, though instead of high amounts of meseta, they could have other types of rewards (maybe a small amount of SG)?
Maybe they could have Klotho's COs change each week like how daily COs change each day, but in the case of Klotho, the time attack COs would match the weekly time ranking quest, with a CO for solo and one for party (could have a 1~2 days cooldown to encourage multiple attempts at the ranking throughout the week?).

* free fields could have the yearly badges as end quest rewards and a base exp boost (50%?) when these are the featured area.

* special quests could have certain types of enemies having more chances of appearing than free fields (like how currently vegas boss appears more often in the riding quest), or even have a very rare chance of certain special enemies appearing (tagami, golden tagami?). Also quest specific daily COs that award lambda grinders once a certain score is reached.

- get rid of the exp boost and enemy HP nerf in advance quests, these were introduced as harder quests after all, with bigger spawns and more aggressive bosses. Get rid of the capsules, they just feel like a pointless detriment at this point, introduce advanced quests for all other existing areas, and with time attack quests being gone, make it so darker's den can randomly happen here instead, while also adding other possibilities of abduction (mothership and double's inner universe?).

- no idea about extreme quests though...[/spoiler-box]

loafhero
Jul 3, 2017, 10:39 PM
My suggestions:

[SPOILER-BOX]They really need to do to Zig what they did to Franka; give him a proper looking hub area of his own dedicated to crafting. No more requiring us to leave a block just to do crafting.

Free Fields are in desperate need of an update. Its not enough that they get XH difficulty where the enemies are just tankier and hit harder. The enemies should have updated behaviour and attack animations. Make it possible to acquire valuable trade items like badges from completing it along with the previous suggestion of granting Free Fields made Featured Quests of the day have temporary exp and drop rate boosts. Increase the chances of rare enemies spawning.

I would not want to have the points system that was prominent in those "kill x number of enemies" ARKS Quest be the new norm for Free Fields. I dislike having my progress gated by a limit that forcibly ends the quest for me. It makes completing COs feel frustrating.

Instead I'd prefer the previously suggested structure of 2 quests per map

One Train Ghidoran Suppression like quest where every enemy of the quest are guaranteed spawns but in low numbers but instead of being the exact same structure with only randomized time of day, the quest should have a bit more randomized elements like different E-Trials.

One Free Field designed similarly to Shironia; a less narrowed, more open map with only 2 zones, the 1st zone being where all the mobs spawn and the 2nd zone being a boss-only zone.

In terms of how Free Field maps should actually be designed, I'd prefer less map designs like the Volcanic Area, Sanctum, Ruins or Desert where there are no obvious landmarks that shows the exit. More maps should have visibly obvious landmarks that shows the exit. Examples, the Facility area's exit can be easily spotted by simply looking for one of those large water sprouting towers. The Skyscape area's exit can be spotted by looking for a gate like structure that requires jumping. The Coast area's exit can be spotted by looking out for a ruin like structure with long stairs. The Sub Tunnels exit can be spotted by looking out for a large triangle logo that glows purple. To sum it up, the maps should still be procedurally generated but all of them should have the same-looking exit landmarks that can be easily spotted from a distance.[/SPOILER-BOX]

reinforcers
Jul 3, 2017, 11:51 PM
why not both? ... :-D
well, I guess pso2 cycle already happen before in the past and since everyone get along with it, it will continue on. remember how grace full when austere 1st come, everyone grinding for it items requirements, now? sega slam CF on those player face. then sega "force" people to burn Meseta and grider for 13* to +35, and then slam them with 14* .... and so on ... it feel like, sega seems not going to ... or never going to ... introduce end-game on PSO2 at all

AirinMikune
Jul 4, 2017, 12:08 AM
Yeah Austere is one of the best mechanics they introduce as the material actually comes from different quest, I wish they continued the trend of it being able to upgrade requiring parts from the new quest.

Ueno54
Jul 7, 2017, 04:46 PM
Sega should put Diga in the game.

Macman
Jul 8, 2017, 04:09 PM
Both. Any healthy and well-designed MMO will expand on established systems as well as developing new content.

NightfallG
Jul 8, 2017, 11:32 PM
In regard to their penchant for time-gating everything, that's mobage 101. All the problems with PSO2 stem from the fact they're treating this like it's a piece of shit cellphone game.

Kiyumi
Jul 9, 2017, 05:04 AM
That "Medical Center" seems to be completely useless.

Maybe they could offer a daily quest that gives you access to a more powerful drink for that day.

LancerFate
Jul 9, 2017, 05:52 AM
That "Medical Center" seems to be completely useless.

Maybe they could offer a daily quest that gives you access to a more powerful drink for that day.

+20pp +10%PA/Tech dmg, completely useless amiright ?

Kiyumi
Jul 9, 2017, 06:36 AM

What are you talking about?

LancerFate
Jul 9, 2017, 07:09 AM
What are you talking about?

PP Drink EX with PA/Tech dmg bonus.

ralf542
Jul 9, 2017, 07:28 AM

I think he/she meant the Medical Center in the gate area that nobody use, since we buy the drinks in the campship.

LancerFate
Jul 9, 2017, 07:47 AM
I think he/she meant the Medical Center in the gate area that nobody use, since we buy the drinks in the campship.

You cant reroll drinks without restarting quest at campship.

doomdragon83
Jul 9, 2017, 08:30 AM
You cant reroll drinks without restarting quest at campship.
This.

Sega seems to have made it harder to reroll at some point; before you can try to go to a full block and you'll get an error and the drink will wear off, but now you must actually leave the block or cancel a quest to get the drink to wear off.

Gaugen
Jul 9, 2017, 09:30 AM
Sega should expand on the my-room system.

I would like them to add a farming system to it, where you're able to plant and grow the same stuff you can find in free-fields and sell those assets to make meseta. Farming bosses for stuff like "Field Expansion Ticket" (Increases the size of your farm by a little bit, can be used until a max size. Stuff like "Naberius Expansion Ticket" wouldn't work on Lillipa fields.)

You would get seeds and such by gathering.

Be able to farm enemies for stuff like "Nab Rappy Egg", that you can hatch to stick on your farm.

Use ores and other materials to put other buildings on such on your land.

Allowing you to level your support partner in various farming things to help them speed up production, plus a speed boost for those that have more than one support partner.

Change support partners to be on-account, not on-character.

A farming-specific leveling system that increases the size cap of your land.

People like customizing their rooms, so I think an expansion like this will get people playing on dead planets more often. Imagine being able to make a tiny town instead of a cramped room. Give team-rooms the same treatment as well, but increase the size and take away the farming stuff.
---

Increasing the overall difficulty of every mode really needs to be done at this point in the game. It's become incredibly easy to steamroll early-game content with the removal of weapon passes. You can get a 12* weapon as low as level 30 these days. They should add a practice mode to compensate for this, where you can revive infinitely (But there are no drops and no exp.) This practice mode should also allow you to play every quest currently in the game.

With this, they need to remove map generation entirely. This is one of my biggest problems with this game. Their goal was to make it feel different every time they went there, but failed spectacularly. They should re-do all of the old maps to make them more like PSO1, where map generation was very minimal.

Challenge mode is fine, but the rewards are worth nothing at all. I propose "weapon modifiers". Playing challenge mode will now allow you to get items to change the potential of your weapon to one that you are able to buy from the challenge shop. The modifiers will go for 180k challange miles (same as 13* weapons) and will be stuff like "Orbit Modifier" or "Ares Modifier".

--

Ultimate Mode should have always been a mode from the very beginning. This was one of the worst mistakes that Sega made. If I were to redo Ultimate Mode, I would first turn all of the old 13 drops into new-types. I would then add a Risk system to it (enemies go up to level 100 at max risk), enemy droprates will scale with their level. Each run of ultimate will give you a "Risk Ticket", as well as +1 Risk. The tickets can be saved for future use. Level 100 Ultimate bosses should have a chance to drop "Weapon Cap +", as well as "Unit Cap +", which will allow you to FURTHER increase the level cap of your weapons past 35 "max being 40", and your units "Max being 15 or 20"

+40 weapons will have the "best" version of that weapons potential. Max leveled units will gain a ring slot (even if the unit is not 12*).

--

Time Attack is a mode that people play to earn meseta. So meseta should be a quest completion reward (like 15-20k per run.) This completion reward is only given to you on SH+.

This should also be applied to Extreme Quests (Which already give a lot of meseta per-run.)

For extreme quests, I think they should be done like this. If playing solo, enemies will remain the same. If playing in a party, enemies will scale to the level of the PL. Have XQ's give better rewards. Remove stones entirely.

--

Crafting should actually be goddamn crafting. I want to MAKE equipment, not just extend stuff. Give player-made equipment an edge by letting them allocate stat points to what they choose. (Extending and grinding player-made equipment would allow them to allocate where the new stats are going), this would allow players be able to make their own obscure weapons, like a T-ATK gun and so-on. Players would also be able to add built-in PA's to their weapons. (Up to 3 max.) Perhaps these could be done by getting "PA Slot+" from Challenge Mode, or Ultimate quests? As for potentials, to gimp these weapons, pots can only be added with Modifiers listed earlier.

That's pretty much what I can think of off the top of my head.