PDA

View Full Version : How much longer will PSO2 last and if they make a PSO3

Meta77
Sep 3, 2017, 10:50 PM
So how much longer do you all think the game will continue now that it is on episode 5.
Do you think they will ever make a PSO3? And if so would you like the format it is now just upgraded graphics and mechanices or a overhaul like open world maps where missions take place in the world instead of a mission counter?

Kondibon
Sep 3, 2017, 10:54 PM
They explicitly said they're planning on maintaining the game for 10 years. So like... 5 more years, PSO3 or not.

Zyrusticae
Sep 4, 2017, 01:26 AM
Previous precedent is for a new PSO-esque game being released every 6 years, but it seems PSO2 is bucking this trend. Wouldn't surprise me if the PS4 port had at least something to do with that (extending the lifespan of the game and all).

Thus, I revise my prediction for PSO3 to be somewhere around the 8-year mark, two years before PSO2's end-of-life. At that point the game will definitely be running long in the tooth. As for what PSO3 itself will entail... even more emphasis on cosmetics (with, finally, articulating fingers), and judging from Hero's gameplay, more Devil May Cry or just general Platinum character action game-esque gameplay with a strong emphasis on speed and lengthy combos and attack chains. It likely won't change from being a lobby-based game, but they will probably take lessons from PSO2 and make each quest much more unique, with different game modes for every biome.

PSO3 will exist basically as a vehicle for selling more cosmetics. Better, updated graphics will serve as a strong incentive for players to scratch the gacha all over again. It will also likely be the last gasp of the series before everyone starts shifting over to VR full-time (as, if it lasts as long as PSO2 is planned to, it'll be 2027 at the earliest before we can expect to see another sequel). Sounds wild today, but I fully expect console and PC gaming as we know it will begin to be phased out due to VR reaching an inflection point of both quality and accessibility (in terms of both cost and ease of entry). Input devices will be refined, they'll have fully solved the motion sickness problem, and there may even be some rudimentary sense of 'touch' for players at that point.

But I'm getting too far ahead of the topic here. You can see the direction they've been taking PSO2 in lately to figure out what their plans for the (frankly, inevitable) sequel are. That sequel is also likely to have a simultaneous release on PC and the PS4, with a significant emphasis on the PS4 Pro version due to the visuals, and there will most definitely be a PS5 port as well, whenever that comes around. Hopefully the series finally not being hamstrung by having to support an outdated and heavily limited handheld (the Vita) will allow the dev team to really stretch their wings.

The scratch ain't goin' anywhere, though. As long as they get as much money as they've been getting from it, the RNG will continue to be a fact of life. Them's the breaks!

loafhero
Sep 4, 2017, 01:29 AM
Like the above said, PSO2 probably has 5 years left and there's really nothing I see that suggests the game would last shorter than that.

If a PSO3 is made, I'd prefer a more stylized art style with less over-designed stuff (unnecessary zig-zag lines are soooo outdated SEGA) and colors that aren't saturated just so that the game ages well for the next 10 years. A minimalist UI design would be nice too.

Maybe update its sound effects for things like Techniques, Menu navigation sounds, Mate consumption, etc. I get that these sound effects are a classic and are part of the PSO identity but I really don't think it aged well.

KaizoKage
Sep 4, 2017, 06:40 AM
I think will experiment on some stuff on PSO2 before moving to PSO3, IMO ep4-5 are like experimental stuff to see how people react to the new system it also feels like story spin-off rather than the main series..

also with Hero, it's like they're experimenting on a different approach regarding further classes along with Dark Blast (So OP in its trailer)

but yeah, it'll be a few more years before we even feel that the game is dead and moving on to a new PSO

Ezodagrom
Sep 4, 2017, 07:10 AM
I could see a new game (be it PSO3, PSU2, or something else) entering the invitation alpha stage around the 8-ish year mark or so.

Shoterxx
Sep 4, 2017, 07:57 AM
PSP3, anyone?

Lyrise
Sep 4, 2017, 08:20 AM
I'm going to hold a very unpopular opinion - as much as I enjoy PSO2, if they do a PSO3, I'd rather they go back to the paid model. At least back then, when we were paying for this stuff, we got a more complete experience, AND we got proper meaningful updates. PSO2 was originally an experiment of "Can we do a high quality game for free"? We got our answer (yes), but it seems like after they got the answer, it seemed to be very lucrative for money, and they've been complacent about having to push out more meaningful updates (Ep5 story and in general is a lazy job - No more animated cutscenes, no new areas to explore, BQs are effectively just a giant square with texture of the month applied to it, etc.)

While PSNova is kind of the opposite in that you paid for it, I think the experience was better... but of course it didn't sell that well, because, money.

Meta77
Sep 4, 2017, 08:59 AM
I'm going to hold a very unpopular opinion - as much as I enjoy PSO2, if they do a PSO3, I'd rather they go back to the paid model. At least back then, when we were paying for this stuff, we got a more complete experience, AND we got proper meaningful updates. PSO2 was originally an experiment of "Can we do a high quality game for free"? We got our answer (yes), but it seems like after they got the answer, it seemed to be very lucrative for money, and they've been complacent about having to push out more meaningful updates (Ep5 story and in general is a lazy job - No more animated cutscenes, no new areas to explore, BQs are effectively just a giant square with texture of the month applied to it, etc.)

While PSNova is kind of the opposite in that you paid for it, I think the experience was better... but of course it didn't sell that well, because, money.

I kind of see that point. It does seem the game has slowly gone the DOA5 route in more outfit choices than overall game updates. Yes every few months a few new things are added but outfits seem to be the driving trend. I did not mind the paid model granted they came out with updates constantly like bam bam. Sort of like FFXV though its just as bad when it comes to outfits.

Ezodagrom
Sep 4, 2017, 09:07 AM
The free to play model is probably too lucrative for them to go back to the monthly paid model.

Selphea
Sep 4, 2017, 10:49 AM
The paid model in PSU failed, it couldn't get enough subs to keep running. Not to mention the next generation is growing up on mobile which is like F2P: the platform so that's not going anywhere.

I would say Ep5 is more budget because... it's more budget. Game is getting old, revenue is dropping so resources get put elsewhere. Typically large-scale MMO-type games take 5-ish years to do from scratch, i.e. planning, concept art, writing, drawing fancy flowcharts, convincing crotchety old finance department people to give you money and such before even talking about modelling and programming so I wouldn't be surprised if they're already working on the next game.

loafhero
Sep 4, 2017, 11:44 AM
I just hope they drop the time-gated EQs in favor of content that's more flexible to the players time. I know that's wishing too much but most modern games nowadays are being designed in consideration that most people don't have much free time.

ArcaneTechs
Sep 4, 2017, 05:54 PM
we already know Phantasy Star Online 3 is already being made/in getting ready for production at this point, there would be no reason for them to not jump on this already with how successful PSO2 is and given how little (and little effort) the content theyre putting out currently i dont see how production starting for PSO3 wouldnt be out of the question. thought ill give to at least 2019 or 2020 (because pso2, 2020??? more 2's) until something is at least announced.

Chigun
Sep 4, 2017, 06:21 PM
I put my bet on Ep. 5's content being lackluster because any corporation will slide towards hogging more money for itself in the long run, not because there's signs of the game dying (didn't we have PS4's release and subsequent population explosion here not that long ago?) At this rate, though, they probably will kill the game. Eventually everyone's going to get sick of playing the same OP class as everyone else and realize leaving 90% of the classes in the game as basically useless in comparison is a poor design choice.

SteveCZ
Sep 4, 2017, 09:42 PM
Surprise: PSO3 will be a mobile game. :)

Lol.

loafhero
Sep 4, 2017, 09:54 PM

Lol.

Its hard to laugh when such a possibility is just too likely to happen.

Mattykins
Sep 4, 2017, 10:04 PM
Not crazy enough

Surprise: PSO3 will be a pachinko machine. :)

Lol.

Meteor Weapon
Sep 4, 2017, 10:09 PM

Lol.

As much as how this is not a surprise this could happen, for the love of God plz no. They can use the PSO2es model of example if they wanted to make a smartphone game.

Ezodagrom
Sep 5, 2017, 10:55 AM
I would say Ep5 is more budget because... it's more budget. Game is getting old, revenue is dropping so resources get put elsewhere. Typically large-scale MMO-type games take 5-ish years to do from scratch, i.e. planning, concept art, writing, drawing fancy flowcharts, convincing crotchety old finance department people to give you money and such before even talking about modelling and programming so I wouldn't be surprised if they're already working on the next game.
The game also is around 50~60GB on PC, maybe they don't want it to get much bigger too quickly, and so Ep5 is more budget than previous episodes?

starwind75043
Sep 5, 2017, 12:43 PM
It's still one of Sega Japans best performing games if I am not mistaken. I am sure they will take it as far as they can. I honestly believe ep 10 is very realistic.

I imagine PSO 3 would just be PSO2 season 2 lol

IHeartRice
Sep 5, 2017, 02:55 PM
It's still one of Sega Japans best performing games if I am not mistaken. I am sure they will take it as far as they can. I honestly believe ep 10 is very realistic.

Yup, on their latest fiscal report it's still doing really well for them.

Anduril
Sep 5, 2017, 03:11 PM

Yup, according to their Q1 report (https://www.segasammy.co.jp/english/pdf/release/201700804_1q_siryo_e_final_1.pdf), PSO2 is their highest performing digital game, and they said they plan to support PSO2 as one of their efforts to "maintain profits through long-term operation of existing titles" as part of their roadmap to 2020 (https://www.segasammy.co.jp/english/pdf/release/20170515_rt2020_e_final__.pdf).

blkbox11
Sep 5, 2017, 11:21 PM
Yup, according to their Q1 report (https://www.segasammy.co.jp/english/pdf/release/201700804_1q_siryo_e_final_1.pdf), PSO2 is their highest performing digital game, and they said they plan to support PSO2 as one of their efforts to "maintain profits through long-term operation of existing titles" as part of their roadmap to 2020 (https://www.segasammy.co.jp/english/pdf/release/20170515_rt2020_e_final__.pdf).

That's pretty much as expected. The game is still a competitor to FFXIV after all.

SteveCZ
Sep 5, 2017, 11:52 PM

Nice accurate info. )b

Hysteria1987
Sep 6, 2017, 04:01 AM

While I agree with the others that it's not very likely to happen, I gotta say I share the same opinion. The content trickle leads to the power creep we've been seeing and, because there's no end-point, it's really quite difficult to maintain more than one character at a really good level.

Maybe this'll be an unpopular opinion too but I'd really like Sega to put Sonic Team back together and tell them to work the same magic they worked on the original PSO. That game's properly dated now, but boy was it good for it's time.

Given how well this game's gone, though, I reckon PSO3 (in whatever form) is inevitable, and probably with a much smaller waiting time than we had between PSO1 and PSO2. Of course, we'll have to see if it's gonna be an everywhere game, or another Japan only deal.

Selphea
Sep 6, 2017, 08:37 AM

This is how I read the report. In Slide 15, comparing Q1 '17 to Q1 '18:

Q1 '17 MAU = 4.6 million. On the other hand, Q1 '18 MAU = 3.4 million. That means somewhere down the line, they lost 1.2 million active users compared to the same period in the previous year.

ARPMAU went from USD20 to USD25. Sounds good by itself, looks like each user is spending USD5 more per month. But they lost 1.2 million users, and usually the most hardcore players tend to spend more so the average would naturally increase. We also got quite a few monetization pushes compared to last year like mat storage, SG scratch, 30 scratch bonuses etc.

Share of top 3 titles dropped from 68% to 59%. The pie is already smaller when you multiply MAU by ARPMAU, yet PSO2's in the top 3 and the top 3 shrank relatively faster. So that's more proof.

Now, I don't deny that PSO2 performed strongly. Considering it's a 5 year old game, managing to hold its ground against strong competition like Dragon's Dogma Online, Monster Hunter Online and the Korean grinders is already really good. As long as they have a plan for the future, a slow, steady decline is nothing to worry about.

That said, I'm 100% convinced PSO2 is in decline. Again, nothing wrong as long as it ages gracefully and they have a plan for the future. I will stay as long as they make it worth staying, part of which entails fixing the totally shot up balance they have right now. I will also likely move on to the next PSO or PSU. Circle of life and all.

lostinseganet
Sep 6, 2017, 08:57 PM
The free to play model is probably too lucrative for them to go back to the monthly paid model.They could have it free with the monthly players getting something special. Like moving from server to server with a party. Cheaper stuff and be able to hold more things.

Shoterxx
Sep 7, 2017, 01:08 PM
They could have it free with the monthly players getting something special. Like moving from server to server with a party. Cheaper stuff and be able to hold more things.

Isn't that the same as the Premium Set in a nutshell?

Dark Emerald EXE
Sep 7, 2017, 02:17 PM
Isn't that the same as the Premium Set in a nutshell?

Pretty Much.....

I treat Premium as a Monthly Subscription that I don't "have" to do

NightfallG
Sep 8, 2017, 12:11 AM
Pretty Much.....

I treat Premium as a Monthly Subscription that I don't "have" to do

Literally what it is.

Q1 '17 MAU = 4.6 million. On the other hand, Q1 '18 MAU = 3.4 million. That means somewhere down the line, they lost 1.2 million active users compared to the same period in the previous year.

If their new report system gets abused, I wonder what will happen. If net uyoku types wind up getting a bunch of us foreigners banned, will that be a relatively large statistic?

loafhero
Sep 8, 2017, 03:02 AM
Maybe this'll be an unpopular opinion too but I'd really like Sega to put Sonic Team back together and tell them to work the same magic they worked on the original PSO. That game's properly dated now, but boy was it good for it's time.

I consider Sonic Team to be a terrible dev team and that the PSO series deserves a more competent team.

Altiea
Sep 8, 2017, 03:38 AM
I consider Sonic Team to be a terrible dev team and that the PSO series deserves a more competent team.

That depends on which time period you're considering. Sonic Team has made excellent games... in the past. Their more recent efforts haven't been so hot, or at least, not as good as their old ones.

Great Pan
Sep 8, 2017, 04:14 AM
Platinum Games or busted.

Meteor Weapon
Sep 8, 2017, 04:14 AM
Almost all of old sonic team staff left except Sakai himself.

isCasted
Sep 8, 2017, 04:22 AM
Platinum Games or busted.

I don't want meaningless combos, scripted sequences and "cinematic" slowdowns in my ARPGs, thank you.

Altiea
Sep 8, 2017, 04:47 AM
I don't want meaningless combos, scripted sequences and "cinematic" slowdowns in my ARPGs, thank you.

I mean, it worked for NieR: Automata.

loafhero
Sep 8, 2017, 06:24 AM
That depends on which time period you're considering. Sonic Team has made excellent games... in the past. Their more recent efforts haven't been so hot, or at least, not as good as their old ones.

Hence, why I wouldn't want Sonic Team to be developing PSO3.

Shoterxx
Sep 11, 2017, 09:42 AM
I wouldn't mind Platinum Games doing PSO3, they do pretty good action/combat, even if it's kinda easy in general. But NieR left me a really sour impression IMHO.

Xaelouse
Sep 11, 2017, 02:55 PM
PSO2 is probably one of the better ARPGs made. If only incompetent people weren't making decisions for it. The base game they have right now is as good as whatever Platinum could come up with, so it's pointless handing it over to them.

Kondibon
Sep 11, 2017, 03:35 PM
The base game they have right now is as good as whatever Platinum could come up withI want you to elaborate on this because it sounds like nonsense.

Shoterxx
Sep 11, 2017, 03:43 PM
I don't consider the developers all that salvageable, considering how flawed this game is. From engine issues, to pretty nasty assets and quality control, to gameplay mechanic decisions. Story, artwork and music are relative to taste, so not touching that aspect.

Xaelouse
Sep 11, 2017, 03:51 PM
There isn't much to elaborate on because Platinum barely had much expertise with class-based ARPGs heavily influenced by stats and multiplayer to begin with. The only game you can compare PSO2 to is Nier Automata, which is riddled with even more flaws than this game and doesn't even have multiplayer or classes.
Unfortunately Scalebound got canned so we can't really tell what they're capable of. And from the incomplete footage we saw of that game, it wasn't highly regarded

Shoterxx
Sep 11, 2017, 04:40 PM
They don't really need experience in order to make the game. They got the A from ARPG nailed down, and as for the RPG, all they really need to do is pick up the previous games. It's the second sequel, so there's not much to change in that regard.

And saying that the Platinum can't make a better base game than we currently have is a pretty "bold" statement. Just because they haven't made games of this sort, doesn't mean they can't make one. And considering what they've shown so far, and what the current PSO2 developers show, I'm absolutely confident they'd make a better PSO3 than the current team could do.

Vatallus
Sep 11, 2017, 05:22 PM
A side story PSO2 game made by Platinum games with the fighting system of MGR/Nier Automata and we play as Assassin Quna.

I'd buy it.

Shoterxx
Sep 11, 2017, 05:57 PM
I'd rather have my own character though, since it's one of the better aspects of PSO2.

But I can see the point.

Lumpen Thingy
Sep 12, 2017, 03:04 AM
Rather them not touch my game since they could star fox zero the crap out of it for all we know.

blkbox11
Sep 12, 2017, 09:40 AM
I actually prefer PSO2's combat style. If PSO3 starts out with Hero's level of mobility, that's good enough. Even Monster Hunter is increasing the pace of it's battles, so they're definitely on to something.

While I'm a fan of Platinum (played nearly all their games), I don't think they're a magic 'fix-all-action-games' developer, especially for a multiplayer game like PSO2 that has multiple modes of combat - that is, assuming PSO3 will have these modes as well. Don't get me wrong, Platinum is a good developer when the project they're working on plays to their strengths, specifically: single player focus on over the top action hack-and-slash gameplay that empowers the player and a story that doesn't take itself too seriously. See: Bayonetta and MGR.

Speaking of which, other than the bugs and issues, I feel Nier Automata also had the extra mismatch of a serious, deep, dramatic and unpredictable storyline that emphasizes limitations, weakness and struggles mated to Platinum-style gameplay that provided a lot of freedom, power and mobility. It basically felt like the gameplay-story segregation of early PSO2 Matterboard when you were getting beaten up by/being fearful of level 35~60 Elder, Loser, etc. as a level 70~75 character, or worse: going through those as a level 80 Hero now.

A side story PSO2 game made by Platinum games with the fighting system of MGR/Nier Automata and we play as Assassin Quna.

I'd buy it.
Only if her Idol form is also featured in SoL style scenes outside of combat to trigger people who hate tone-shifts and fanservice.

loafhero
Sep 12, 2017, 10:16 AM

I'd kill for a Bayonetta-like game with Quna in it... for the gameplay ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

JK, Bayonetta 1 and 2 are pretty solid action games.

Vatallus
Sep 12, 2017, 10:53 AM
I actually prefer PSO2's combat style. If PSO3 starts out with Hero's level of mobility, that's good enough. Even Monster Hunter is increasing the pace of it's battles, so they're definitely on to something.

While I'm a fan of Platinum (played nearly all their games), I don't think they're a magic 'fix-all-action-games' developer, especially for a multiplayer game like PSO2 that has multiple modes of combat - that is, assuming PSO3 will have these modes as well. Don't get me wrong, Platinum is a good developer when the project they're working on plays to their strengths, specifically: single player focus on over the top action hack-and-slash gameplay that empowers the player and a story that doesn't take itself too seriously. See: Bayonetta and MGR.

Speaking of which, other than the bugs and issues, I feel Nier Automata also had the extra mismatch of a serious, deep, dramatic and unpredictable storyline that emphasizes limitations, weakness and struggles mated to Platinum-style gameplay that provided a lot of freedom, power and mobility. It basically felt like the gameplay-story segregation of early PSO2 Matterboard when you were getting beaten up by/being fearful of level 35~60 Elder, Loser, etc. as a level 70~75 character, or worse: going through those as a level 80 Hero now.

Only if her Idol form is also featured in SoL style scenes outside of combat to trigger people who hate tone-shifts and fanservice.

Works for me.

I'd kill for a Bayonetta-like game with Quna in it... for the gameplay ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

JK, Bayonetta 1 and 2 are pretty solid action games.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)