PDA

View Full Version : Post your Creative Ways of Playing PSO2 (control wise)

the_importer_
Mar 15, 2018, 01:46 PM
Just a heads up, using regular keyboard & mouse on a PC or PS4, regular gamepad with keyboard on PC or PS4 or playing on Vita is not very creative.

I personally use a DualShock 4 on my PC using DS4Windows. This program allows me to use my DualShock 4 as is it was an XBOX 360/One controller. Besides the fact that I prefer the smaller size of PlayStation controllers for my tiny hands Vs the bulkier size of XBOX controllers, what makes this special are the programmable aspects that comes with the software.

1- I can use it wired with micro USB or wirelessly with a Bluetooth dongle

2- I can map keyboard keys and macros to any buttons

3- I can remap any XBOX button to any PS4 button

4- I can use any function of the PS button and touch pad as macros or keyboard keys

So how do I control the game, well let’s start with the basics:

X = Jump
O = Confirm/Select
◻ = Attack 1
△ = Attack 2
L1 = DS4Windows Shift Key
L2 = Evade/Mirage Escape
R1 = Attack 3
R2 = Use Sub-Palette Item
L3 = Nothing
R3 = Swap Weapon Palette
Share = Quick Menu
Option = Main Menu
Left Stick = Move
Right Stick = Camera Control
D-Pad Up/Down = Nothing
D-Pad Left/Right = Select Sub-Palette Item

Now for the fun programmable part:

PS Button = N Keyboard Key to Display Full Map
L1 + D-Pad Left = Chat Command to Equip Weapon 1
L1 + D-Pad Up = Chat Command to Equip Weapon 2
L1 + D-Pad Right = Chat Command to Equip Weapon 3
L1 + D-Pad Down = Chat Command to Equip Weapon 4
L1 + L3 = Chat Command to Equip Weapon 5
L1 + R3 = Chat Command to Equip Weapon 6
Touch Pad Swap Left = Use Sub-Palette Item 4
Touch Pad Swap Up = Use Sub-Palette Item 5
Touch Pad Swap Right = Use Sub-Palette Item 6
Touch Pad Swap Down = Use Sub-Palette Item 7
Touch Pad Press Left = Use Sub-Palette Item 8
Touch Pad Press Right = Use Sub-Palette Item 9
Touch Pad Press Both Left & Right = Use Sub-Palette Item 0

Sub-Palette 1 to 3 are usually for Dimates, Trimates and Sol Atomizers, the Compound Techs or other things which I’ll select with the D-Pad and use with the R2 trigger.

Now post your creative ways of playing PSO2. If you have any questions regarding DS4Windows, I’ll do my best to answer them.

Anduril
Mar 15, 2018, 02:38 PM
I normally use an XBox One controller with a chatpad (used pretty much just for access to subpalette) and an accessory that adds two paddles on the back that I have mapped to be L3 and R3, and I also use Joy2Key to give myself extra functions (particularly to avoid needing to scroll through the Weapon Palette). I have it all mapped out pretty much like this:
https://i.imgur.com/bJQBuvO.png
My basic NumPad function is Select Weapon/Subpalette, and my CTRL+NumPad is Shortcut Words. Also, even though I have the chatpad, I still have a Use Subpalette function for quick healing since I always have Resta or Trimates on the 0 key.

Tyreek
Mar 15, 2018, 03:06 PM
If I may ask, what accessory are you using, and can you get those extra paddles to work individually?

Anduril
Mar 15, 2018, 03:11 PM
If I may ask, what accessory are you using, and can you get those extra paddles to work individually?

It's called XBox One StrikePack from a company called Collective Minds; I got it on sale for like 15USD a couple of years ago, but unfortunately, it seems that it is now discontinued and it looks like they have released an updated version (https://collectiveminds.ca/shop/xbox/xbox-one/strikepack-dominator/). Also, you can only map existing buttons to paddles, they can't serve as extra buttons.

landman
Mar 15, 2018, 03:22 PM
So long since I played, but I use Steam controller with touch menus for shortcuts to pallete and weapon palette.

Tyreek
Mar 15, 2018, 03:28 PM
It's called XBox One StrikePack from a company called Collective Minds; I got it on sale for like 15USD a couple of years ago, but unfortunately, it seems that it is now discontinued and it looks like they have released an updated version (https://collectiveminds.ca/shop/xbox/xbox-one/strikepack-dominator/). Also, you can only map existing buttons to paddles, they can't serve as extra buttons.

Well that's unfortunate. I really don't want to go and look into an Elite controller. Some(unofficial I think) drivers have released some time ago to allow individual mapping for the paddles. I used all my Xbox One buttons for mapping, and there's no way I can sacrifice my setup for 3 button layout.

the_importer_
Mar 15, 2018, 03:34 PM
I normally use an XBox One controller with a chatpad (used pretty much just for access to subpalette) and an accessory that adds two paddles on the back that I have mapped to be L3 and R3, and I also use Joy2Key to give myself extra functions (particularly to avoid needing to scroll through the Weapon Palette). I have it all mapped out pretty much like this:
https://i.imgur.com/bJQBuvO.png
My basic NumPad function is Select Weapon/Subpalette, and my CTRL+NumPad is Shortcut Words. Also, even though I have the chatpad, I still have a Use Subpalette function for quick healing since I always have Resta or Trimates on the 0 key.

Good stuff. I tried using the a DS4 chatpad as well, but I returned it because I could never get use of not having my hands around the handles.

Stormwalker
Mar 15, 2018, 03:45 PM
Just a heads up, using regular keyboard & mouse on a PC or PS4, regular gamepad with keyboard on PC or PS4 or playing on Vita is not very creative.

I personally use a DualShock 4 on my PC using DS4Windows. This program allows me to use my DualShock 4 as is it was an XBOX 360/One controller. Besides the fact that I prefer the smaller size of PlayStation controllers for my tiny hands Vs the bulkier size of XBOX controllers, what makes this special are the programmable aspects that comes with the software.

[snip keybindings for brevity]

Do you not have lock-on mapped at all, or am I just blind and not seeing it? It'd be kinda hard to play some classes without that (notably fighter with Twin Daggers, since TD Air Chase only works if you are locked on).

Since I use DS4Windows with a SCUF Impact (the paddles are handy for TPS mode, oh, yes), I'm interested in your shift key usage and may have to try that myself, though I'd probably set it up a little differently. Currently I have to take my hand off the controller to switch weapons and I'd rather not do that. Also, I presume you are mapping to keyboard keys in order to make the chat shortcuts work.. I haven't been able to get this to work in my DS4Windows (specifically, it works in Windows, but PSO2 doesn't recognize those inputs); did you have to do anything special to make that work, or is something broken on my side?

Electrochemist
Mar 15, 2018, 03:55 PM
This thread is actually really helpful and interesting!
I'm a controller user but I have trouble adjusting to 3-button, I have tried many a time over the years but there just doesn't seem to be enough buttons to cater it effectively.
So at the moment I'm stuck to 2-button which can be very limiting depending on the class. (for some classes it's not so bad but for a partisan hunter or anything that requires specific combos it's tough)

I'm gonna keep an eye on this thread, I reckon it will open my mind to some other options and workarounds.

Stormwalker
Mar 15, 2018, 04:19 PM
I'm a controller user but I have trouble adjusting to 3-button, I have tried many a time over the years but there just doesn't seem to be enough buttons to cater it effectively.
So at the moment I'm stuck to 2-button which can be very limiting depending on the class. (for some classes it's not so bad but for a partisan hunter or anything that requires specific combos it's tough)

I'm gonna keep an eye on this thread, I reckon it will open my mind to some other options and workarounds.

I haven't had problems with having enough buttons for 3-button, but when I mapped weapon action to its own button so I could get 5 PA's on each palette, I had to give up my minimap scale button (using the keyboard for that now, which is annoying)... and I'd dearly love to squeeze weapon switching back onto my controller (I can do it with the D-pad, but that's incredibly clumsy), thus my interest.

My current control setting is:
D-pad up/down: switch weapons
D-pad left/right: select subpalette item
Square: Action 1
Triangle: Action 2
Circle: Action 3
Cross: Jump
L1: Main Palette Shift
R1: Weapon Action
L2: Lock-On
R2: Evade
L3: Access
R3: TPS Mode
PS: Mapped to L3, and I actually use this rather than L3 for everything.
Options: Activate Subpalette
Share: Main Menu

The four paddles on the Impact are mapped to the four face buttons so I can do PA's while right-stick aiming in TPS mode (mostly I use them while playing Ranger (or on the rare occasions I go GU/RA instead of GU/HU), so I tend to refer to these as my "Ranger paddles").

Obviously, if I can get keyboard mapping working there are a lot of improvements that I can make to this.

Geistritter
Mar 15, 2018, 04:49 PM
I haven't been able to get this to work in my DS4Windows (specifically, it works in Windows, but PSO2 doesn't recognize those inputs); did you have to do anything special to make that work, or is something broken on my side?

Try Steam's mapping software -- you can launch the Tweaker from it, if that's a concern for you, and still have PSO2 accept inputs from Steam's software. Alternatively, you can use Xpadder.

I use both at once, incidentally, in a horrifying chimera of inputs.

Yamishi
Mar 15, 2018, 06:42 PM
It's not creative, per se, but I use an Xbox One controller with a wireless adapter and one of those chat pads that plugs into the bottom. Works seamlessly, and allows me to be as lazy as possible.

the_importer_
Mar 15, 2018, 06:43 PM
Do you not have lock-on mapped at all, or am I just blind and not seeing it? It'd be kinda hard to play some classes without that (notably fighter with Twin Daggers, since TD Air Chase only works if you are locked on).

Not really something useful for a Fo/Te since techs auto aim and while I play as every other class, it's mostly to level cap by doing featured and bonus quests.

Since I use DS4Windows with a SCUF Impact (the paddles are handy for TPS mode, oh, yes), I'm interested in your shift key usage and may have to try that myself, though I'd probably set it up a little differently. Currently I have to take my hand off the controller to switch weapons and I'd rather not do that. Also, I presume you are mapping to keyboard keys in order to make the chat shortcuts work.. I haven't been able to get this to work in my DS4Windows (specifically, it works in Windows, but PSO2 doesn't recognize those inputs); did you have to do anything special to make that work, or is something broken on my side?

Well you will need to get your hand off the left analog stick for a second in order to use my weapon swapping method, but it beats the hell out of the official method which is the use the D-Pad Up & Down. As for how I get to use these, well you need to configure something in both PSO2 and DS4Windows.

For PSO2:
Take a look at this image:

https://s18.postimg.org/tx4q4rfyt/pso20180315_190001_000.png (https://postimg.org/image/tx4q4rfyt/)

These are my Fo/Te chat shortcut commands. Each shortcut will load the same weapon that's there 6 times on my main palette but with different techs, 6 slots, 6 elements. Using the command /mainpalette [number] will switch the weapon on your main palette and adding the command /subpalette [number] will make sure that you are using the proper sub-palette. Now you need to tell the game's option to use the the chat shortcuts for whatever you wish to use them with (I use the keyboard's top numbers).

For DS4Windows:
Take a look at these images:

https://s18.postimg.org/s7vmwcsg5/2018-03-15_19_33_07-_Program_Manager.png (https://postimg.org/image/s7vmwcsg5/)

https://s18.postimg.org/8q0zgnnv9/2018-03-15_19_34_59-_Program_Manager.png (https://postimg.org/image/8q0zgnnv9/)

Under Profile, go to Special Actions and click on New Action. Now in my configuration, I checked L1 and Left (D-Pad). The button that says D1 is the keyboard key that I'm using for my weapon 1 chat command which is Key Number 1 in PSO2, clicking on this button will prompt an on-screen keyboard to select any key you want.

Rinse and repeat for the rest.

I've been playing like this for a month now after playing a totally different way for years using the 2 button config. Once you find the perfect controller and perfect way to play, you'll get use to it in no time.

Shinamori
Mar 15, 2018, 07:51 PM
I just use Keyboard/Mouse.

AnikaSteinberg
Mar 16, 2018, 12:28 AM
Using a regular Xbox 360/Xbox One controller

Almost default controls, except the weapon pallette which is mapped to D-pad, Start and Select buttons via X-Padder for on-the-fly switching

I also have my keyboard right in front of me, ready to press 1 to 0, or F1 to F10, depending on the sub-pallette, tech/skill, or skill rings that I need
(sub-pallette stuff that requires targeting, such as Compound Techs, etc. are manually selected and activated via controller tho)

So yeah, I use both controller and keyboard at the same time.

Geistritter
Mar 16, 2018, 12:56 AM
Technically, so does everyone else in this topic.

They just do it better.

NightlightPro
Mar 16, 2018, 03:51 AM
PS4 with ScpServer works just fine.. (w/ Zadig driver thing)

landman
Mar 16, 2018, 07:23 AM
Not really something useful for a Fo/Te since techs auto aim and while I play as every other class, it's mostly to level cap by doing featured and bonus quests.

Wow, we must play FO/TE very differently.

the_importer_
Mar 16, 2018, 08:07 AM
Wow, we must play FO/TE very differently.

Why, you disable auto-aim or something?

landman
Mar 16, 2018, 08:38 AM
Why, you disable auto-aim or something?

I lock on weak points, unless they are very far away, then aim in TPS.

the_importer_
Mar 16, 2018, 09:01 AM
I lock on weak points, unless they are very far away, then aim in TPS.

I have no issues with weak point when using auto-aim. You play with a gamepad or keyboard and mouse?

landman
Mar 16, 2018, 10:37 AM
I have no issues with weak point when using auto-aim. You play with a gamepad or keyboard and mouse?

Gamepad, but it's been long since I last played, but explain how can you hit certain weak spots that are in the back/top/inside of an enemy, unless you go running around the enemy, I used lock on, locked onto the enemy, then switched between parts to the weak spot and hit it with whatever instant tech, and spammed it. As far as I remember, autoaim will go to the closest part, in a Ragne it will be the legs instead of the core behind the head for example. But that's it, I played this way and needed lock on button, you play your way and don't need it. If I remember when turning on my computer at home I'll get my full mapping from steam overlay.

wahahaha
Mar 16, 2018, 10:46 AM
DS3
L1 step R1 weapon action L2 grab items R2 use items L3 tps R3 lockon
Square mapped for quick switch, triangle pa circle normal x jump
D pad l r sub palette change up sub palette quick swap down weapon palette
Select quick menu start menu

the_importer_
Mar 16, 2018, 11:00 AM
Gamepad, but it's been long since I last played, but explain how can you hit certain weak spots that are in the back/top/inside of an enemy, unless you go running around the enemy, I used lock on, locked onto the enemy, then switched between parts to the weak spot and hit it with whatever instant tech, and spammed it. As far as I remember, autoaim will go to the closest part, in a Ragne it will be the legs instead of the core behind the head for example. But that's it, I played this way and needed lock on button, you play your way and don't need it. If I remember when turning on my computer at home I'll get my full mapping from steam overlay.

Well except for that big ass red dragon, I normally fight at close range, so it's usually a case of just turning around and facing that weak spot. To each his own gameplay I guess.

Stormwalker
Mar 16, 2018, 11:06 AM
I figured out why I couldn't get my gamepad to keyboard mappings working (I had to use the "Scan Code" option); they work now, so I've come up with a new scheme.

Using L2 as a shift (I moved lock-on to L3):
L2+Square: Main Palette 1
L2+Triangle: Main Palette 2
L2+Circle: Main Palette 3
L2+Cross: Main Palette 4
L2+L1: Main Palette 5 (slightly awkward)
L2+R1: Main Palette 6
L2+PS: Change Target
L2+D-Pad Up/Down: Camera close/distant
L2+D-Pad Left: Change Radar
L2+D-Pad Right: Show Mini-Map
L2+R2: Activate Subpallet

I moved the main menu back to Share, and the quick menu back to Options.

Still getting used to it (having to retrain my muscle memory; sometimes I still push the wrong button when in a hurry), but I like it a lot.

the_importer_
Mar 16, 2018, 12:07 PM
I figured out why I couldn't get my gamepad to keyboard mappings working (I had to use the "Scan Code" option); they work now, so I've come up with a new scheme.

Using L2 as a shift (I moved lock-on to L3):
L2+Square: Main Palette 1
L2+Triangle: Main Palette 2
L2+Circle: Main Palette 3
L2+Cross: Main Palette 4
L2+L1: Main Palette 5 (slightly awkward)
L2+R1: Main Palette 6
L2+PS: Change Target
L2+D-Pad Up/Down: Camera close/distant
L2+D-Pad Left: Change Radar
L2+D-Pad Right: Show Mini-Map
L2+R2: Activate Subpallet

I moved the main menu back to Share, and the quick menu back to Options.

Still getting used to it (having to retrain my muscle memory; sometimes I still push the wrong button when in a hurry), but I like it a lot.

Are you emulating the full keyboard game controls to the gamepad?

landman
Mar 16, 2018, 01:19 PM
My full config, on PS4 I think I sacrifice map/radar, but since I used it to multibox I didn't really need the map on both screens

[SPOILER-BOX]

https://i.imgur.com/a3V4DZ6.png

[/SPOILER-BOX]

kurokyosuke
Mar 16, 2018, 02:27 PM
I find it weird that people seem to "require" DS4Windows or some other mapping program to use their DS4s (though, if it's only for macro use, then nevermind). I'm using mine in PSO2 just fine without, though calibration is necessary due to how L2 and R2 work on the PC.
I use 3-button, and my control settings are generally the same as the PS4 defaults, but I use different control schemes for standard camera and TPS mode.

[spoiler-box]Standard:
Square - Action 1
Triangle - Action 2
Circle - Access
X - Jump/Cancel
L1 - Palette Swap
R1 - Action 3
L2 - Activate Sub Palette
R2 - Dodge Action
L3 - Lock-on
R3 - Change PoV
Options - Main Menu
Share - Quick Menu
Touch screen button - Change Radar
D-Pad - Weapon/Sub Palette Navigation

TPS:
Square - Activate Sub Palette
Triangle - Action 3
Circle - (same as standard)*
X - *
L1 - *
R1 - Action 1
L2 - Dodge Action
R2 - Action 2
L3 - None
R3 - *
Options - *
Share - *
Touch screen button - *
D-Pad - *[/spoiler-box]
Both setups are easy for me to use due to claw holding. I also tend to hold my controller over the keyboard so I can use my pinky fingers for hotkeys.

the_importer_
Mar 16, 2018, 02:33 PM
I find it weird that people seem to "require" DS4Windows or some other mapping program to use their DS4s (though, if it's only for macro use, then nevermind). I'm using mine in PSO2 just fine without, though calibration is necessary due to how L2 and R2 work on the PC.
I use 3-button, and my control settings are generally the same as the PS4 defaults, but I use different control schemes for standard camera and TPS mode.

[spoiler-box]Standard:
Square - Action 1
Triangle - Action 2
Circle - Access
X - Jump/Cancel
L1 - Palette Swap
R1 - Action 3
L2 - Activate Sub Palette
R2 - Dodge Action
L3 - Lock-on
R3 - Change PoV
Options - Main Menu
Share - Quick Menu
Touch screen button - Change Radar
D-Pad - Weapon/Sub Palette Navigation

TPS:
Square - Activate Sub Palette
Triangle - Action 3
Circle - (same as standard)*
X - *
L1 - *
R1 - Action 1
L2 - Dodge Action
R2 - Action 2
L3 - None
R3 - *
Options - *
Share - *
Touch screen button - *
D-Pad - *[/spoiler-box]
Both setups are easy for me to use due to claw holding. I also tend to hold my controller over the keyboard so I can use my pinky fingers for hotkeys.

I do use it mostly for programming and macros, but also because by itself, a DS4 is Dinput which does requires constant calibration when turning your computer off and on or when unplugging and plugin back while Xinput doesn't.

kurokyosuke
Mar 16, 2018, 02:48 PM
I do use it mostly for programming and macros, but also because by itself, a DS4 is Dinput which does requires constant calibration when turning your computer off and on or when unplugging and plugin back while Xinput doesn't.

By calibrate, I meant in-game calibration, which I only had to do once, and that was to work around L2 and R2's analog settings. No calibration needed to be done outside of that. Also, my DS4 works entirely off of Bluetooth. Plugging it in would only be for emergency charging if the gamepad dies (which rarely happens since I usually put it on a charging station when it's not in use).
On a side note, if the gamepad turns off for any reason during gameplay, I can just turn it on again without needing to restart the game in order for the gamepad to keep working. I remember that being an issue when I used DS3Tool or whatever it was for a DS3 gamepad.

the_importer_
Mar 16, 2018, 02:52 PM
By calibrate, I meant in-game calibration, which I only had to do once, and that was to work around L2 and R2's analog settings. No calibration needed to be done outside of that. Also, my DS4 works entirely off of Bluetooth. Plugging it in would only be for emergency charging if the gamepad dies (which rarely happens since I usually put it on a charging station when it's not in use).
On a side note, if the gamepad turns off for any reason during gameplay, I can just turn it on again without needing to restart the game in order for the gamepad to keep working. I remember that being an issue when I used DS3Tool or whatever it was for a DS3 gamepad.

Never had such luck with Dinput controllers, analog sticks are always off-centered if I don't recalibrate. Another reason why'd you want to use Xinput is for games that don't support Dinput (mostly modern ones).

kurokyosuke
Mar 16, 2018, 03:00 PM
A fun note, it was necessary for me to use DS4Windows in the past as well. But then Sega changed something when EP4 came out, and then it allowed for native support.