PDA

View Full Version : Idola: Phantasy Star Saga Livestream 1º

Maulcun
Aug 22, 2018, 12:01 PM
http://pso2.jp/players/news/img/upload/element/info/broadcast/0827_idolabroadcast.jpg

Date: August 27, 2018
Time: 21:00 ~ JST

Automatic conversion time : https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=Idola%3A+Phantasy+Star+Saga+Liv estream+1%C2%BA&iso=20180827T21&p1=248

Official Link YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7DNGkHec_Y
Official Link PSCP TV: https://twitter.com/sega_idola
Fan Link YouTube 1 : Coming soon
Fan Link YouTube 2 : Coming soon
Fan Link Twitch 1 : Coming soon
Fan Link Twitch 2 : Coming soon
Official Link Twitch : Coming soon
Fan Link Mixer 1: Coming soon
Fan Link Nico Nico 1: Coming soon
Fan Link Nico Nico 2 : Coming soon
Fan Link Facebook : Coming soon

Hosts

Risae Matsuda (Voice actor)
Matsuda Satsumi (Voice actor)
Shuntaro Tanaka (Game Producer)
Tomomasa Chin (Game Director)

Important Topics

Details game system.
New promo video.
Information about new characters.
And much more.

Selphea
Aug 24, 2018, 11:07 AM
200 dislikes before it's even live, that's some serious hate going on

Jene-chan
Aug 24, 2018, 11:33 AM

Honestly, until the game starts to differentiate itself from other mobages and find it's own identity, it's probably going to continue to get flamed by both the Japanese and Western communities for being a generic looking FGO knock-off.

Even the Twitter having only 25K followers currently is kinda sad because you'd imagine a series with a legacy as long as PS would generate a bit more interest but the general reaction from this project has been negative for both Japan and the West. For comparison, Umamusume, which is being developed by Cygames and isn't released yet, has around 160K followers, but they did have an anime to tie in with the game release that is going to be later this year. Even the USA FGO Twitter account 50K followers and their initial primary form of social media push was Facebook.

I know Twitter followers is not a concrete measure of interest/popularity by any means, but it is telling that it doesn't even seem like they can hit a sizable buzz there. I feel like they only hit their pre-registration goals because of tie-in rewards in PSO2 and because people want that free Kuna. lol

Zorak000
Aug 24, 2018, 11:45 AM
yeah, that recent interview they had made some pretty big slaps-in-the-face too. they claimed they wanted to do a turn-based party rpg to be more like the classic series, but if they wanted to do that, then how come they were showing off single-charcter supermoves when the old games focused more on macros and combination attacks between party members. heck they should have done a behind-the back camera perspective for battle, and had the game play in portrait aspect ratio. it would have been more acceptable to just upfront say that somebody wanted to make an FGO clone than to lie to our faces like this.

landman
Aug 24, 2018, 06:12 PM
Combination skills are an exclusive mechanic from Phantasy Star 4, not the previous ones, it defined that game, not the series, I'd say the front camera either first person or on their back is what identifies them the most, and yep, IDOLA is not like that, cant sell gacha characters if you are only showing ass (or maybe they are losing a big opportunity here lol).

SteveCZ
Aug 24, 2018, 08:27 PM
Speaking of Twitter, Soul Reverse Zero, which is also published by SEGA, seems doing fine at 21K followers (in terms of the service still live in 2 years, cause mostly dead in 1 year, not in terms of their financial goal).

If in this game, we assume that around 10K - 20K followers are mobile players who barely knew what PS is and/or other mobile gamers who've been playing SEGA mobile games, and the rest are PS sympathizers or true fan who is willing to play anything about PS, then they may be successful.

Aside of how I despise this one game, this is a good pattern because the mobile players are new, and the fans (either or both SEGA mobile games and PS) who still want to play this may be the spenders. It's a perfect scenario.

ArcaneTechs
Aug 24, 2018, 08:35 PM
stop working on mobage and actually work on content this Ep, its so bad

FantasyHeaven
Aug 25, 2018, 04:56 AM
calling a mobage an rpg
wait is gonad order supposed to be a role playing game now too
what a load of shit

sonisei
Aug 25, 2018, 11:40 AM
wow 600 dislikes now :wacko:

XrosBlader821
Aug 25, 2018, 01:33 PM
I'd just like to point out that for Digimon's 15th anniversary Bandai made 4 games for the PSP, 3DS and Vita, the ladder receiving a PS4 port once Bandai decided to localize those games again. All 4 of these are very well regarded by the small fanbase.

Sega? ah f*ck it, release a mobage designed to suck your wallet dry to celebrate 30 years of a franchise that used to be one of the best exclusives on the Sega hardware. Yeah it really beats me why people are pissed off about it. Make a Phantasy star themed Pachinko while you're at it.

wefwq
Aug 25, 2018, 02:52 PM
Every SEGA mobile games i tried riddled with terrible gacha rates and powercreep.
I expect the exact same problem to happen in this game.

Combination skills are an exclusive mechanic from Phantasy Star 4, not the previous ones, it defined that game, not the series, I'd say the front camera either first person or on their back is what identifies them the most, and yep, IDOLA is not like that, cant sell gacha characters if you are only showing ass (or maybe they are losing a big opportunity here lol).
People would be mad if they expected to pay for badly animated flat arse.

FantasyHeaven
Aug 25, 2018, 03:18 PM
This is gonna bomb harder than pso2 cloud

SteveCZ
Aug 26, 2018, 10:36 PM
It's over 1K dislikes now, like.... almost 97% overall. This is more hate than I ever know. o_O

Tymek
Aug 27, 2018, 06:40 AM
https://i.imgur.com/Vqy2kWb.png

XrosBlader821
Aug 27, 2018, 08:08 AM
PSO2: Wow our EP5 videos got a lot of dislikes
Idola: hold my beer

landman
Aug 27, 2018, 08:08 AM
So the constellations are just the name of those titans-magatsu-waifus or something.

final_attack
Aug 27, 2018, 08:09 AM
Holy ....... 1.8k dislikes ...... vs 269 likes .....
wat?!?!??? _(:3」

isCasted
Aug 27, 2018, 08:33 AM
https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/632/211/aa0.png
Looking at those motion tween animations of "Dark Falz" creatures casually nuking the entire surroundings with a shit ton of distracting sparkles and without a single hint of emotion or tension really made me question as how the fuck could anyone look at it and think it's in any way acceptable, let alone marketable.

KaizoKage
Aug 27, 2018, 08:43 AM
as much as I love the Phantasy Star series. This game is telling me that they're trying to milk a dead cow for cash and telling people that it's fresh and original milk. (or something like that)

Just look at those dislikes. 1.9k atm.

Jene-chan
Aug 27, 2018, 09:12 AM
When PSO2 videos get downvoted, it's usually because of a group of users from 2ch and Western users just blindly downvoting any PSO2 related video but the numbers almost never hit this high. Judging by comments in the stream and on Twitter, it's actually just having a general negative reaction from people watching it. I feel like the response on this video is more real and not just angry 2ch users tanking the dislikes.

Altiea
Aug 27, 2018, 12:34 PM
Law and Chaos
- Characters come in Law, Chaos, and Neutral flavors.
- Law Characters are defensively oriented, with abilities that support party members and heal.
- Chaos Characters are offensively oriented, with abilities that inflict big damage and status effects.
- Neutral Characters are a rare class that don't fit in either Law or Chaos and can be used in either party.

Battle
- Characters will auto-target enemies based on elemental weaknesses, but you can also manual select targets.
- 2x Speed, Auto Battle, and Skip Elemental Burst options are available.
- Attacking and defeating enemies in battle raises the Element Value. Higher Element influences attack options and boosts normal attack damage.
- Execute a special character-specific attack called an Elemental Blast by consuming your Element Value.
- Switch between Law and Chaos Parties mid-combat with the Reverse Rush technique, an ability that attacks the target while switching parties.

Fate Divergence
- Influence the path of your characters with the Fate Divergence System.
- Upon maxing a Character's Bond, you can choose to make them a Law or a Chaos character.
- Based on your choice, their appearance, Skills, and Elemental Blast will change.
- A Character's Story will also vary based on whether they're Law or Chaos after the Fate Divergence.
- You can use a special item to change a Character's path if you're not happy with the choice you made.

Idola Battle
- Raid battles where you fight Idola.
- However, if your party falls while fighting an Idola, you will become an Idola! You can then fight other players as an Idola.
- If fighting an Idola, you will earn rewards for defeating the Idola. If you are playing as an Idola, you will earn bonuses based on how many players you defeat.
- There are also special Idola vs. Idola fights in certain events.
- Many of the large Idola are based on constellations. There are lesser Idola as well.

Kintama
Aug 27, 2018, 12:40 PM
I mean who cares

Dark Mits
Aug 27, 2018, 01:10 PM
Is it me or are we all dismissing the game not because of its content, its battle system, its lore, it's potential longevity or even its general gameplay, but exclusively because of its looks? And yes, I include myself in this statement.

XrosBlader821
Aug 27, 2018, 01:17 PM
Is it me or are we all dismissing the game not because of its content, its battle system, its lore, it's potential longevity or even its general gameplay, but exclusively because of its looks? And yes, I include myself in this statement.

you forget the fact that this mobage cashcow is supposed to celebrate 30 years Phantasy star.

Jene-chan
Aug 27, 2018, 01:25 PM

It's a multitude of reasons.

It was announced as part of the 30th Anniversary of Phantasy Star, but it seems people were expecting more than just a mobile game. The game itself doesn't really seem to do anything to set itself apart from the other fish in the sea in that regard and is only loosely visually similar to older PS titles. In fact, other than the name of the project and some familiar characters/enemies, it seems to be connected to PS series in name only. It gets compared to FGO a lot in terms of it's presentation and it's combat system, even if mechanically it may be different. The animation style in the game also looks very rough using some pretty awkward looking tweening between actions.

Basically, it was something seemingly nobody asked for but we have it anyway. Judging from comments around today and on the stream, people don't really seem to be sold on the mechanics either. They either actually don't like the mechanics or they may be too jaded from their initial reaction to care.

Ransu
Aug 27, 2018, 02:21 PM
you forget the fact that this mobage cashcow is supposed to celebrate 30 years Phantasy star.

Exactly, it hardly does this series justice and feels disingenuous when they revealed this by showing shots from games in the series up till this point only to be shown a mobile game as the way to celebrate the anniversary. Though it is routine for Sega to disappoint nowadays I expected more personally.

Suirano
Aug 27, 2018, 05:56 PM
It probably also doesn't help the negative feelings towards Episode 5 of PSO2 as well. A lot of people are losing steam and then you release this which doesn't seem to address anything people had issues with the direction of Phantasy Star. In combination with this being Phantasy Star's 30th year celebration and this is what we get. The game itself doesn't really stand out from others so it is hard to see it as anything other than a cashgrab.

I do miss the Sci-Fi feeling that Phantasy Star had but every update seems to push further and further away from it. I don't have any malice towards IDOLA. If there are people that like it, congrats to them. But this does seem like a massive slap in the face for the old school fans.

Selphea
Aug 27, 2018, 06:45 PM
A lot of these features are like "but that sounds like FGO/Unitia/Ordinal Strata/etc etc" other than the Law/Chaos switching gimmick.

To stand out, it'll be about how they manage the content flow and the monetization, both of which can only be judged after launch.

For now I just feel like it's an uninspired clone but hey it's F2P. I'll try it but they'll really need to make up for the lack of inspiration with amazing execution.

SteveCZ
Aug 27, 2018, 11:05 PM
The "idola battle" part looks fun though. :lol:

KaizoKage
Aug 27, 2018, 11:45 PM
I miss PSO and PSU where eveything is all sci-fi. Not this fantasy themed mobage. It seems SEGA is pushing the fantasy themed gameplay since EP5

ArcaneTechs
Aug 28, 2018, 03:43 AM
they could have easily made this into a stand alone game either single or multi player with all these lore and good stuff but nah, mobage gacha that we didnt need

Cyber Meteor
Aug 28, 2018, 03:45 AM
I miss PSO and PSU where eveything is all sci-fi. Not this fantasy themed mobage. It seems SEGA is pushing the fantasy themed gameplay since EP5

It doesn't "seem", it IS the case from their own words. SEGA said they had the fantasy theme in mind since EP1 and thought EP5 was the time to go in that direction. Which means EP6 will less be about fantasy thankfully and they recently said that there will be more sci-fi stuff in next episode but "due to high demand from players", which suggests they had something else than sci-fi planned for EP6 initially, and even if there is demand it may represent less than half of EP6 content :wacko:

landman
Aug 28, 2018, 04:32 AM
Law / Chaos "upgrade" sounds to me = grind for the same character again and again to level it to different classes and see each part of their story. How to design videogames with the cash cow in mind 101.

they could have easily made this into a stand alone game either single or multi player with all these lore and good stuff but nah, mobage gacha that we didnt need
They could have easily made this into a stand alone non Phantasy Star game and nobody would have cared.

yoshiblue
Aug 28, 2018, 06:59 AM
I feel they could have made another PSO EP III but as a mobile game, and with PSO2 stuff I guess. Or even maybe all the games combined. Then turn it into an anime about isekai kids playing a children's card game.

XrosBlader821
Aug 28, 2018, 08:14 AM
I feel they could have made another PSO EP III but as a mobile game, and with PSO2 stuff I guess.

You mean PSO2es?

-----

The best thing that came out of this game so far are the new Quna artworks. Hope there will be some HQ renders online soon

sonisei
Aug 28, 2018, 08:31 AM
welp no long haired biseinen for me. pass :wacko:

landman
Aug 28, 2018, 10:26 AM
You mean PSO2es?

You know they have nothing in common, right? CARD had a board, and you had a card deck, and you would move heroes like pieces spending the dice in whatever card's you'd want to use. I can't say I knew how to play it properly, never got into it, could not finish it, but seeing how everyone wants to have their own Heartstone out there (Bethesda, CDProject, Valve) they could have worked on that idea and maybe find success.

XrosBlader821
Aug 28, 2018, 10:50 AM
You know they have nothing in common, right? CARD had a board, and you had a card deck, and you would move heroes like pieces spending the dice in whatever card's you'd want to use. I can't say I knew how to play it properly, never got into it, could not finish it, but seeing how everyone wants to have their own Heartstone out there (Bethesda, CDProject, Valve) they could have worked on that idea and maybe find success.

Then instead of everyone complaining how this is a FGO clone people would complain about yet another Card Game in a over saturated market. Not to mention it'd be even more direct competition to PSO2es since Weaponoid chips are cards at their core while Idola gives you command able units instead. Not to mention it would be direct competition to the actual physical TCG Sega launched not long ago. Why buy the real thing when the digital, more accessible one exists?

landman
Aug 28, 2018, 10:57 AM
I agree, imo pso2es should have been the CARD sequel, now it's too late for everything you've said.

Tymek
Aug 28, 2018, 02:45 PM
http://www.bumped.org/psublog/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/PSO2-Idola-Link.jpg
You can earn IDOLA Points for each day you play IDOLA: Phantasy Star Saga.
You can use these points to obtain special items in PSO2.

Zorak000
Aug 28, 2018, 03:44 PM
looking at it now, the game seems alright, it's just probably not something they should have touted for a major series anniversary I guess

ArcaneTechs
Aug 28, 2018, 04:27 PM
They could have easily made this into a stand alone non Phantasy Star game and nobody would have cared.
because no West release, thats why

landman
Aug 28, 2018, 06:31 PM
I thought we were talking about the japanese reactions to the game.

ArcaneTechs
Aug 29, 2018, 12:22 AM
I thought we were talking about the japanese reactions to the game.

ya me too