PDA

View Full Version : Phantasy Star Online 2: Episode Oracle

Pages : [1] 2

Meteor Weapon
Oct 7, 2019, 05:27 PM
I'm surprised no one made a thread yet.

This adaption is a lot DARKER than I thought it would be and I like it, abetter presentation than that shit adaption(if you'd call that an adaption at all). they first made.

Touka
Oct 7, 2019, 05:46 PM
The far shots of characters were pretty bad though that seems to be a common thing with anime nowadays.Honestly the cgi is fine there are much worse offenders(the bear in Golden Kamuy and EVERYTHING in Berserk).Overall not a bad start really.

Great Pan
Oct 7, 2019, 06:45 PM
Wow, they went Goblin Slayer now. PHOTONS does work only on the protagonist.

XrosBlader821
Oct 8, 2019, 01:58 AM
Rest in piece Generic Boxart Newman
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EGSery3U8AAkMmI.jpg:large
Credit (https://twitter.com/PSPTAKEO/status/1181243486353252352)

AlphaBlob
Oct 8, 2019, 01:59 AM
Falspawn.

They managed to fit so much information in the first episode, you can tell it's going to be a roller coaster for people that never played the story, let alone the game.

landman
Oct 8, 2019, 02:39 AM
I'm ok with falspawn, it gives no doubt of what they are if you are minimally into this series, of course we had no doubt with seed or darker (or d-arker), but now we have a less stupid sounding name.

But there was one :wacko:

XrosBlader821
Oct 8, 2019, 02:49 AM
I'm ok with falspawn, it gives no doubt of what they are if you are minimally into this series, of course we had no doubt with seed or darker (or d-arker), but now we have a less stupid sounding name.

Yeah but it does make me worried about the official English launch if they already change stuff like
Darker -> Falspawn
Infection -> F Factor
Code D -> Code F
Naberius -> Naverius
Sheena -> Seana

AlphaBlob
Oct 8, 2019, 04:33 AM
I'm ok with falspawn, it gives no doubt of what they are if you are minimally into this series, of course we had no doubt with seed or darker (or d-arker), but now we have a less stupid sounding name.:

I wouldn't really mind the name if it wasn't for the characters clearly saying Darker, what's next? Evil Falz [Owl]?

landman
Oct 8, 2019, 04:43 AM
Darker -> Falspawn
Infection -> F Factor
Code D -> Code F
Naberius -> Naverius
Sheena -> Seana
Those make sense if they decide to make "Falz" the base word instead of "Dark". And the others... it's phonetically the same in many languages?? Oracle has a lot of different names of different origins, romanization of japanese engrish is never the best option (outside of fanmade translations).

Shina/Sheena specifically, if you know your hiragana you will know japanese don't have "SI" but instead only have "SHI" (same as HU -> FU and others), so just because they pronounce the name they gave her wrong doesn't mean a localisation shouldn't correct it.

I wouldn't really mind the name if it wasn't for the characters clearly saying Darker, what's next? Evil Falz [Owl]?
Maybe they are actually saying Dakar :wacko: or imagine watching this with a dub.

oratank
Oct 8, 2019, 04:49 AM
isn't that from fansub?

this is darker sub
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmqo3XB66Eo

Moffen
Oct 8, 2019, 06:07 AM
I did not expect that shit to happen to fem newman, not at the level it was shown.
I am losing my shit, this has completely blown my expectations out of the water and i am 210% invested.

XrosBlader821
Oct 8, 2019, 06:30 AM
Those make sense if they decide to make "Falz" the base word instead of "Dark".
Yes and one of the bigger reasons why people hate "localized" subs. Characters literally say Darkers & Code D not Falspawn & Code F. It's jarring seeing how disconnected the subs are from what the characters are saying. If it doesn't bother you, great. It bothers me though.

And the others... it's phonetically the same in many languages?? Oracle has a lot of different names of different origins, romanization of japanese engrish is never the best option (outside of fanmade translations).

Thats not the point tho. Oracle is a name the devs decided on. You don't need fan interpretation to know that.
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/DWnguS4mtik/maxresdefault.jpg
Similarly many different names can be seen in ARKS-font (which is English) which automatically shuts down the interpretation debate (Same reason why Kuhna or Kuna is just wrong).

Shina/Sheena specifically, if you know your hiragana you will know japanese don't have "SI" but instead only have "SHI" (same as HU -> FU and others), so just because they pronounce the name they gave her wrong doesn't mean a localisation shouldn't correct it.

Okay I double checked (https://pso2.jp/players/about/character/image/profile/006.png) and you are right on that front but still them changing all Darker related terms just for the sake of it is dumb. The PSO2 OST CD also refers to Naberius as Naberius not Naverius.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/629262105413156864/631089611992596480/unknown.png

Kondibon
Oct 8, 2019, 08:08 AM
them changing all Darker related terms just for the sake of it is dumb. The PSO2 OST CD also refers to Naberius as Naberius not Naverius.They're not doing it for the sake of doing it though, they're doing it to be more consistant, while making the main term sound better when spoken in english.

Naberius is spelled wrong but it's kind of an obscure reference to a goetic demon anyway, so I don't blame anyone for getting it wrong. Granted, they very clearly say naBerius, but eh.

Ezodagrom
Oct 8, 2019, 08:52 AM
Preview images for episode 2, so next week they're gonna introduce Lisa, Patty and Tia, and based on the episode name (same name as in-game for the whole chapter 2), it'll probably include finding the broken Clarissa in the tundra.
https://pso2.jp/anime_eporacle/story/02/

XrosBlader821
Oct 8, 2019, 08:59 AM
Oh yeah im really glad they're skipping all of the super important characters like Aki, Light, Fourier etc. the Matterboard System. Makes the story more easily digestible and focused on the relevant bits.
And judging by the Opening Matoi will actually join Ash on quests and has a new outfit (that is conspicuously is missing in current SG scratch).

landman
Oct 8, 2019, 09:09 AM
Thats not the point tho. Oracle is a name the devs decided on. You don't need fan interpretation to know that.
I wasn't talking about the "word" Oracle, I was talking about everything "in" Oracle, everything with a name, every person's name, every creature and planet they named, etc, They may have a lot of made up names but others are "taken", and just because they can't pronounce some germanic name and fansubs decide to keep it that way, doesn't mean the original name should not be used in an proper localisation.

They're not doing it for the sake of doing it though, they're doing it to be more consistant, while making the main term sound better when spoken in english.

Naberius is spelled wrong but it's kind of an obscure reference to a goetic demon anyway, so I don't blame anyone for getting it wrong. Granted, they very clearly say naBerius, but eh.
Maybe that's because Japanese does not distinguish between V and B phonetics. A lot of languages that use both letters don't distinguish them either, spanish being one of my languages, I know that SOME regions in Spain pronounce V with an F friction, but the language rules don't distinguish them, other than changing the meaning of the word if you use one or the other (ex: vaca (https://www.wordreference.com/es/en/translation.asp?spen=vaca)/baca (https://www.wordreference.com/es/en/translation.asp?spen=baca)). The same could be said of Motabia / Motavia, even if at that time we didn't know the pronunciation, the japanese name would be with a BI because they don't have any other choice.

Ezodagrom
Oct 8, 2019, 09:10 AM
And judging by the Opening Matoi will actually join Ash on quests and has a new outfit (that is conspicuously is missing in current SG scratch).
Seems like that outfit will be an item code reward from getting the first BD volume.
https://pso2.jp/anime_eporacle/bddvdcd/02/

XrosBlader821
Oct 8, 2019, 09:32 AM
Gosh that's gonna be a fun one with Ship 2's Economy.

landman
Oct 8, 2019, 09:48 AM
I'm glad to see it's going to be 25 chapters.

LordKaiser
Oct 8, 2019, 09:49 AM
Either the adaptation changed things or the Funimation sub is trash just like the whole company (I hate this anime oligopoly between them and Crunchy Roll)

Kondibon
Oct 8, 2019, 10:02 AM
Maybe that's because Japanese does not distinguish between V and B phonetics. A lot of languages that use both letters don't distinguish them either, spanish being one of my languages, I know that SOME regions in Spain pronounce V with an F friction, but the language rules don't distinguish them, other than changing the meaning of the word if you use one or the other (ex: vaca (https://www.wordreference.com/es/en/translation.asp?spen=vaca)/baca (https://www.wordreference.com/es/en/translation.asp?spen=baca)). The same could be said of Motabia / Motavia, even if at that time we didn't know the pronunciation, the japanese name would be with a BI because they don't have any other choice.Oh, I know WHY the mistake happens, that doesn't mean it wasn't clearly meant to be based off Naberius the goetic demon.
It's the same with Amdusia being named after Amdusias, and "vopar" is likely meant to be Vepar.

Also, while japanese script doesn't have characters to represent all the same phonemes as english, this doesn't mean japanese people are completely incapable of pronouncing english phonemes. They VERY clearly say Naberius.

Either the adaptation changed things or the Funimation sub is trash just like the whole company (I hate this anime oligopoly between them and Crunchy Roll)
I mean, the localization is fine to me, the only jarring part is knowing when they say certain things and the subs not matching up with that, but the actual changes themselves are fine in the context of making it more sensible in english.

XrosBlader821
Oct 8, 2019, 10:02 AM

The adabtation didn't change any terms. You can still hear the voice actors using the terms we know from the game.
Problem is we don't know if the changes to terms are mandated by Sega since the game is finally getting localized for real this time.

oratank
Oct 8, 2019, 10:17 AM
they should consider create a new face type already matoi really need that treament

landman
Oct 8, 2019, 10:30 AM
Also, while japanese script doesn't have characters to represent all the same phonemes as english, this doesn't mean japanese people are completely incapable of pronouncing english phonemes. They VERY clearly say Naberius.
Some of them may know, some of them even try (https://youtu.be/azFN16A81N8) :wacko: but I think most of them just read the kana on the text they are given to read, so in that case it will mostly sound BE if it's written in katakana.

EspeonageTieler
Oct 8, 2019, 01:36 PM
Oh yeah im really glad they're skipping all of the super important characters like Aki, Light, Fourier etc. the Matterboard System. Makes the story more easily digestible and focused on the relevant bits.

I'm really curious as to how Matoi is going to fight this early on considering she couldn't really use techs at that point in the game and she also needed a weapon that wasn't weak. Also isn't it kind of super irresponsible to send a her out with the rookies when they know someone is out here trying to kill her lol.

Also anyone know where one could order the first volume of the anime when its available? I'd love to get it and the in game items.

Tymek
Oct 8, 2019, 02:19 PM
Seems like that outfit will be an item code reward from getting the first BD volume.

I am absolutely ecstatic about Matoi's new costume being available in-game, even if the chances of getting it without buying the BD are low.

However...
[SPOILER-BOX]https://pso2.jp/anime_eporacle/bddvdcd/02/img/itemslide_04.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]

Why did they create a new model and hairstyle for him when he's already had an established look for years, lol

XrosBlader821
Oct 8, 2019, 02:34 PM
I am absolutely ecstatic about Matoi's new costume being available in-game, even if the chances of getting it without buying the BD are low.

However...
[SPOILER-BOX]https://pso2.jp/anime_eporacle/bddvdcd/02/img/itemslide_04.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]

Why did they create a new model and hairstyle for him when he's already had an established look for years, lol

Because default Male Human Hunter design looks like ass.
this redesign looks much more handsome but the differences are so tiny they might've as well just update the defaults

oratank
Oct 8, 2019, 03:05 PM
may be old ash take a persona role :D

Anduril
Oct 8, 2019, 03:07 PM
I know it is still unlikely, but the fact that Matoi is going to have an active field role this early makes me hope that this is a failed [Persona] timeline.
Also, with how they are portraying things, [Double]'s eating of people is probably going to be even more disturbing.

StreetFighter2242
Oct 8, 2019, 04:27 PM
What makes you hope that? Oh never mind.

StreetFighter2242
Oct 8, 2019, 04:51 PM
The only thing that really bothers me is the inconsistency...

Anduril
Oct 8, 2019, 07:17 PM
What makes you hope that? Oh never mind.

If you still haven't played the game itself, I can guess you are just being your usual you, but if you are genuinely curious as to why I hope so, here goes:
It would be an interesting way to be able to have their own variation with unexpected twists of the story be canon to the game's story.
The Episode 1-3 that we play does not feature Matoi going into the field until the end of Episode 2, so from that we know that this is not a straight adaptation of the story presented in the game. Taking into account the Episode 0 manga, we know that certain events will always happen in the timeline, but with slight variations (like Episode 0's degree of involvement and fate of Shinna). We also know that before the current timeline, the MC would fail to save Matoi from becoming the [Profound Darkness] in every timeline (and possibly in some kill her, if I recall) and inevitably fall into misery and become [Persona], who would then go back in time and try to change events. If this anime ends on a "bad end" where Matoi isn't saved and Ash becomes [Persona], then it could be one of the timelines that the game's [Persona] mentions, and thus still be completely canon without having to adhere religiously to the established story. (Plus it could be a cheeky "to see the good ending, PLAY THE GAME!" kinda thing.)

mother clusterfck
Oct 8, 2019, 07:57 PM

This adaption is a lot FALSPAWN than I thought it would be and I like it, abetter presentation than that shit adaption(if you'd call that an adaption at all). they first made.
There, fixed that for you.
Hay guyz like, we can like, how about we just like, change the core terminology that a dozen other terms are based in throughout the story into something completely arbitrary so that everyone gets confused when the characters talk about one thing and the subs say something completely different. Sure no one can tell the difference between Code D and Code F, practically the same thing except one letter. Code T, there how about this, you didn't notice the difference, did you?
The sheer idiocy and pointlessness of this is what gets me.

Rip.
A usual Sega decided to make the shoes weird as all hell and sorta ruining the outfit. I mean just look at Harriet's SG outfit, she literally wears buckets on her feet and a number of other outfits aren't much better like Innocent what's it called from SQ scratch and the over half a foot high heels (20+cm) of sorts.
Just looks so weird.

Some of them may know, some of them even try (https://youtu.be/azFN16A81N8) :wacko: but I think most of them just read the kana on the text they are given to read, so in that case it will mostly sound BE if it's written in katakana.
Well most of the time it's just the creators / seiyuus being lazy. There is a very easy way to distinguish between b and v in Japanese for example but it is only very rarely used and likewise many Engrish terms in anime, manga and games are things that take literally seconds to google.
Also the way some seiyuus butcher foreign pronunciations is just like lazy English dub VAs sometimes don't even bother checking the original translation of Japanese (or other) names and terms that are used in the dub and just go with a 100% English pronunciation, not even trying to do it right.
I've heard English dubs nearly perfectly pronouncing Japanese names / words and I've heard seiyuu speaking English with a very light accent but it's rare as the vast majority focus most of the time on the regular dialog without giving much of a damn about any pronunciation of foreign words and names.

I'm really curious as to how Matoi is going to fight this early on considering she couldn't really use techs at that point in the game and she also needed a weapon that wasn't weak. Also isn't it kind of super irresponsible to send a her out with the rookies when they know someone is out here trying to kill her lol.

Also anyone know where one could order the first volume of the anime when its available? I'd love to get it and the in game items.
The story diverged from the game's the moment there was anyone but Ash and Afin in the camship.
TBH that is important because a complete rehash of the game's story would be boring af.

I know it is still unlikely, but the fact that Matoi is going to have an active field role this early makes me hope that this is a failed [Persona] timeline.
Also, with how they are portraying things, [Double]'s eating of people is probably going to be even more disturbing.
Wow, that would be really interesting to see.

Will_Nonheim
Oct 8, 2019, 09:50 PM

However...

Because Layered Wear.
And because slightly different hairstyles will still earn them interest. Like Gettemhart's Episode 0 Memory hair.

Kondibon
Oct 8, 2019, 11:57 PM
There, fixed that for you.
Hay guyz like, we can like, how about we just like, change the core terminology that a dozen other terms are based in throughout the story into something completely arbitrary so that everyone gets confused when the characters talk about one thing and the subs say something completely different. Sure no one can tell the difference between Code D and Code F, practically the same thing except one letter. Code T, there how about this, you didn't notice the difference, did you?
The sheer idiocy and pointlessness of this is what gets me.
Why is everyone so butthurt about this? There's obviously a reason for it, and the other terms were obviously changed to accommodate that. Using "darker" as the name for them just sounds bad in dialogue english, it always has.

If you don't like the subs matching the words the characters are saying that's one thing, but don't act like this was arbitrary, or even confusing. I have yet to see anyone be confused by it, and it's certainly less arbitrary than some of the changes to jojo stand names that were just words that couldn't be traced to a musical reference unless you knew already.

silo1991
Oct 8, 2019, 11:58 PM
i finally saw the anime with my friends , and definily give me a very good impression , i definily will recommend it to my friends

if it end up having a second season adapting ep 4 to 6 , i hope Ep4 its take out of the equation and create an original story as a filler arc in plan of F... you EP4.

of course rescuing Mother , the Ether and the apostoles as suvivors of many alien races

landman
Oct 9, 2019, 02:05 AM
A lot of the changes to the game story, I want to think it's because game production was more limited, for example, it looks more accurate to send a whole squad with an instructor than pair them and just give instructions with an operator, even if the planet was supposed secure (or not too dangerous, since natives can still be a hazard). Then there is the fact of adapting the story to a more interesting one, and repeating the first mission up to three times because time travel would have been awful, and just makes me think when will time travel be used for the first time, I doubt they will go back to save HUney, FOney and RAcast (I would lol).

Zyrusticae
Oct 9, 2019, 02:35 AM
No fuckin' way they leave the default crew dead. They're literally in all the game openings. I don't buy it for a second.

Time travel abuse is a-comin', methinks.

DrCatco
Oct 9, 2019, 02:44 AM
if it end up having a second season adapting ep 4 to 6 , i hope Ep4 its take out of the equation and create an original story as a filler arc in plan of F... you EP4.

I don't think that will be the case. If I remember correctly, someone at SEGA mentioned that Phantasy Star online 2 The Animation is canon. Although it will be called Episode: Earth, and it will cover only Episode 4.

So, we will have Episode: Oracle (1 - 3) and Episode: Earth (4). What I don't remember is if we are going to have another Episode, which covers chapters 5 - 7.

Also, what seems interesting to me is that Ash (unlike us) has seen Xion before, right in the middle of the darker falspawn attack ten years ago.

landman
Oct 9, 2019, 03:14 AM
No fuckin' way they leave the default crew dead. They're literally in all the game openings. I don't buy it for a second.

Time travel abuse is a-comin', methinks.

https://i.imgur.com/lePxOmp.png

We didn't go back to save mr nice guy so... :wacko:

XrosBlader821
Oct 9, 2019, 03:44 AM
If they make a Second Season and call it Episode Photoner they'd need to make EP4 (and by extension the Filler anime) more relevant to the plot. Easy fix would be having Rina, Itsuki and Aika become the new Zeno, Echo and Afin for that trillogy. Honestly the fixes to the story are so Easy I have no clue why they didn't do it in the game outside of a potential RL issue like Voice actors being unavailable.

LinkEP
Oct 9, 2019, 03:59 AM
Muse Asia's translation seems faithful to the original, just gotta leave it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmqo3XB66Eo

Aurorra
Oct 9, 2019, 05:43 AM
Am I the only one concerned about how wildly out of scale all the enemies were?

silo1991
Oct 9, 2019, 06:49 AM
I don't think that will be the case. If I remember correctly, someone at SEGA mentioned that Phantasy Star online 2 The Animation is canon. Although it will be called Episode: Earth, and it will cover only Episode 4.

So, we will have Episode: Oracle (1 - 3) and Episode: Earth (4). What I don't remember is if we are going to have another Episode, which covers chapters 5 - 7.

Also, what seems interesting to me is that Ash (unlike us) has seen Xion before, right in the middle of the darker falspawn attack ten years ago.

i dont mind the changes the anime its giving . Ep4 gave me the impresion sega was stupid on purpose not only for the game but also with PSO2 the animation , if the marketing objective was atract new players , there was better ways

and if they took out anything related to EP4 in the second season (i hope it happen) it would be nice alternative timeline :)

Shear
Oct 9, 2019, 07:04 AM
If I remember correctly the director changed for EP4. That probably had something to do with it.

landman
Oct 9, 2019, 07:39 AM
I hated Episode 4 like the most, but only the first third of it was crap, everything Mother was quite good and revealing in the Photoner part. I could do without episode 5 thou... (more specifically, everything that happened inside Omega)

XrosBlader821
Oct 9, 2019, 08:36 AM
If I remember correctly the director changed for EP4. That probably had something to do with it.

The director changed almost every episode and Sega said they had 6 Episodes planned out as early as Episode 3's first months.

silo1991
Oct 9, 2019, 08:51 AM
The director changed almost every episode and Sega said they had 6 Episodes planned out as early as Episode 3's first months.

IMO EP4 didnt had planning the pirate darkers was an attempt to rescue the season and the angels who came out of the nowhere its the main proof of my point.
and of course EP5 had other plans but because of how people recieve Alis(also the lack of a main villian) its why they change the route , also they realized killing all Dark falzes straight on rampage on EP3 was a bad move

like thanos would say (but with the dark Falzes) : you couldnt live with your failures and that bring you back to me

on other point : being realistic was a nice move IMO , if i write a fanfic , my charcters when they travel to the past in EP2 they meet their parents and they never wanted them to be Arks despite they are in , and says what they wanted for their childs

Isra : they wanted him to be a scientist or an engineer
Isa: should be an artist or a lawyer
Flora: a doctor or an artisan

XrosBlader821
Oct 9, 2019, 10:00 AM
IMO EP4 didnt had planning the pirate darkers was an attempt to rescue the season and the angels who came out of the nowhere its the main proof of my point.
and of course EP5 had other plans but because of how people recieve Alis(also the lack of a main villian) its why they change the route , also they realized killing all Dark falzes straight on rampage on EP3 was a bad move

like thanos would say (but with the dark Falzes) : you couldnt live with your failures and that bring you back to me

Thing is none of that makes sense.
The very moment we were introduced to Ardem it was very clear he'd backstab the Heros in one way or another. If im not mistaken that was EP4 CH4 which is halfway into the story.
Similarly it was very obvious that Elmir is the main villain right out of the box, manipulating all the countries into war for his own benefits. He was introduced as soon as EP5 CH2.
And on Top of that Lisa's connection to Harriet was teased as far back as Episode 3 (although at the time nobody knew what to make of this set up).
The general direction of the story was always planned like this. Sure, some things have to change along the way but you don't change entire course of your story on a whim.

silo1991
Oct 9, 2019, 10:17 AM
Thing is none of that makes sense.
The very moment we were introduced to Ardem it was very clear he'd backstab the Heros in one way or another. If im not mistaken that was EP4 CH4 which is halfway into the story.
Similarly it was very obvious that Elmir is the main villain right out of the box, manipulating all the countries into war for his own benefits. He was introduced as soon as EP5 CH2.
And on Top of that Lisa's connection to Harriet was teased as far back as Episode 3 (although at the time nobody knew what to make of this set up).
The general direction of the story was always planned like this. Sure, some things have to change along the way but you don't change entire course of your story on a whim.

for hint of ardem had planed backstab us , i dont remember that , was added in the new story system?. my doubts about planning are just with EP4 .

my point with ep5 was Emir started the wars just for orders of scheleguer(Elder) , which makes him looks like a hechmen instead of a main villian

and i didnt said anything about Lisa and Harriet conection wasnt planned , actually i wonder how its gonna be excuted that point in the anime taking in mind the theories mention earlier by others :O

Reilet
Oct 9, 2019, 10:20 AM
Am I the only one concerned about how wildly out of scale all the enemies were?

They are actually that huge in game. Just go to tps or the closer camera view and stand next to them.

Flaoc
Oct 9, 2019, 10:30 AM
They are actually that huge in game. Just go to tps or the closer camera view and stand next to them.

no dagans really arent

https://i.imgur.com/eda8alX.png

XrosBlader821
Oct 9, 2019, 10:32 AM
Yeah dagans in the anime are like half the size of a Dark Ragne

Meteor Weapon
Oct 9, 2019, 11:06 AM
They probably got unlucky and got encountered by El Dagans lol

Loyd Azakuya
Oct 9, 2019, 11:19 AM
I find it funny how the whole team used 1 * weapons, while Ash used the Coat Edge, an 8 * sword, no wonder he could cut the dagans so easily

silo1991
Oct 9, 2019, 11:33 AM
I find it funny how the whole team used 1 * weapons, while Ash used the Coat Edge, an 8 * sword, no wonder he could cut the dagans so easily

they better say that sword used to be from someone important to Ash

StreetFighter2242
Oct 9, 2019, 11:44 AM
If you still haven't played the game itself, I can guess you are just being your usual you, but if you are genuinely curious as to why I hope so, here goes:
It would be an interesting way to be able to have their own variation with unexpected twists of the story be canon to the game's story.
The Episode 1-3 that we play does not feature Matoi going into the field until the end of Episode 2, so from that we know that this is not a straight adaptation of the story presented in the game. Taking into account the Episode 0 manga, we know that certain events will always happen in the timeline, but with slight variations (like Episode 0's degree of involvement and fate of Shinna). We also know that before the current timeline, the MC would fail to save Matoi from becoming the [Profound Darkness] in every timeline (and possibly in some kill her, if I recall) and inevitably fall into misery and become [Persona], who would then go back in time and try to change events. If this anime ends on a "bad end" where Matoi isn't saved and Ash becomes [Persona], then it could be one of the timelines that the game's [Persona] mentions, and thus still be completely canon without having to adhere religiously to the established story. (Plus it could be a cheeky "to see the good ending, PLAY THE GAME!" kinda thing.)

....You know.....I would try to explain a few things..,... about exactly WHY I can't play PSO2 even if I wanted to......but you probably wouldn't get it....

Zorak000
Oct 9, 2019, 01:15 PM
pretty much everybody on the ARKS ship from before episode 4 were named after minor planetiods, so really all that happened was that the people translating this show never got that note.

I am ok with falspawn and related changes though.

"Patty and Tia" was derived from a planetoid named "Pattientia" or something like that

Anduril
Oct 9, 2019, 01:48 PM
pretty much everybody on the ARKS ship from before episode 4 were named after minor planetiods, so really all that happened was that the people translating this show never got that note.

I am ok with falspawn and related changes though.

"Patty and Tia" was derived from a planetoid named "Pattientia" or something like that
451 Patientia, though it is actually supposed to be pronounced closer to "patience" (as it is the latin root of that word), but it looks like they just took the word itself and split it to "pati en tia." Though, there is also 453 Tea.

Aurorra
Oct 9, 2019, 03:47 PM
no dagans really arent

Not just the dagans, the Rockbear Gettemhart was sitting on was easily 2-3 times too big, the infected Oodan was the size a Rockbear should be. The El Ahda was probably the closest to being in scale but even that one was a bit too large.

StreetFighter2242
Oct 9, 2019, 03:56 PM
Hopefully this (somehow) doesn't add up to false advertising.

XrosBlader821
Oct 9, 2019, 04:32 PM
Hopefully this (somehow) doesn't add up to false advertising.

???
Fan speculations has nothing to do with advertising.

StreetFighter2242
Oct 9, 2019, 05:00 PM
Well in a way... Newcomers ( and mean like NEW newcomers like people who's never seen let alone played this game before.) might be expecting the Game to be the same as the Anime in some ways.... (Including the way violence is portrayed and such..) ony to be ....disappointed ..... That's what i mean.

Meteor Weapon
Oct 9, 2019, 05:16 PM
....You know.....I would try to explain a few things..,... about exactly WHY I can't play PSO2 even if I wanted to......but you probably wouldn't get it....

Explain why. Is it internet? No minimum performance PC? Work related?

UniverseLover
Oct 9, 2019, 05:20 PM
Well in a way... Newcomers ( and mean like NEW newcomers like people who's never seen let alone played this game before.) might be expecting the Game to be the same as the Anime in some ways.... (Including the way violence is portrayed and such..) ony to be ....disappointed ..... That's what i mean.

That's really those people's problem at that point. Usually different types of mediums portray things differently. It should be expected that the game and anime will be different. We can also take this the other way around. People that have been playing the game for 7+ years may be disappointed that the anime isn't the same as the game. Stopping decisions based of off "maybe they won't like it" or "what if they don't like it" kinda stunts creativity. If they followed the game verbatim, it would be even more awkward for people that were not exposed to the game already and make people not interested in the game entirely.

Either way, I really doubt that the people working on the anime will be accused of "false advertisement" because the dagan are a little larger than in the game and whatnot.

silo1991
Oct 9, 2019, 05:41 PM

you want to know whats false advertising , lets see EP4 it promote it self as ¨Reborn¨ people expected big changes , but nothing happen and we just got equip set system , gathering mechanic and collections files(which were a nightmare until yamato) , thats it

EP6 right now its doing what EP4 should do: getting rid of AQ and XQ stones and simplyfied the shops ,the arks missions(another type of dailies), complex PAs, and the UH fields which is a big change

StreetFighter2242
Oct 9, 2019, 06:14 PM
You guys are definitely right...Sorry if i was sounding too aggressive.

landman
Oct 9, 2019, 06:50 PM
They have to show a clear link with a certain other character, just like they forced your character in cut-scenes even if your character never touched anything that wasn't a rod or a talis :wacko:

LordKaiser
Oct 9, 2019, 09:46 PM
I can already picture Lisa all covered in bloor enjoying herself by murdering everything.

Zephyrion
Oct 10, 2019, 05:56 AM
People tend to forget how Episode 1 depicted ARKS and its universe too. The story was much darker, acually tackling the problem of casualties, people disappearing because they knew too much about ARKS' dirty secrets and so on. Theodore Liza and Gettemhart all embodied a darker side that the game progressively set on the side. So really having actual violence depicted in the anime to show that this isn't a world full of roses is the best way to go about it. They can't adapt every optional dialogue and whatever to make you progressively understand that through hints because yeah medium differences, so it's better to shove that fact in the audience's face from the get-go.

XrosBlader821
Oct 10, 2019, 08:54 AM
I don't think anybody really forgot that. In fact a large reason of why the Anime and EP4's first third are so poor is how tonally different they are from what came before.

silo1991
Oct 10, 2019, 03:17 PM
I don't think anybody really forgot that. In fact a large reason of why the Anime and EP4's first third are so poor is how tonally different they are from what came before.

well something similar happen with phantasy star 3 which was seen as the black sheep of the original saga back in early 90s because of the medieval setting but at diference of EP4 or anything related.

the ending redeem that game by it self .

IMO EP4 should be consider as the black sheep of the series from now on

Dark Mits
Oct 10, 2019, 03:22 PM
No, EP5 will be the black sheep, as well as the redeemed sheep altogether. It is the only episode where the developers did 180 degree turn exactly because of massive player outrage, and went against their own design plan.

silo1991
Oct 10, 2019, 03:28 PM
No, EP5 will be the black sheep, as well as the redeemed sheep altogether. It is the only episode where the developers did 180 degree turn exactly because of massive player outrage, and went against their own design plan.

nah at least in EP5 changes, they define an objective(IMO started with a diferent one ) , IMO EP4 never had an objective, for me was the laziest one i ever saw, im still wonder what they wanted to acomplish in that season ?

hell if the demons debuted in EP4 instead of the phantoms , i wouldnt complain , after all i was expecting a downgrade in artistic occurrence after seeing PD and anga fungarde

Krystalwitch
Oct 10, 2019, 04:18 PM
About the names... Just a quick reminder for you guys:

[SPOILER-BOX]https://i.imgur.com/3TFxzOS.png
From Episode 1 credits.[/SPOILER-BOX]

So, yeah, Melfonseana is actually accurate.

The same way its Gettemhult, Risa, Patty, Tiea, Klariskrays, Sarah and many, many other names which there is an official romanization of the katakana yet people from the english patch apparently ignore and mess up for no reason.

Falspawn is awful and even contradicts the lore, as well as there is no reason to change Naberius' name, but they actually got the names right on the subs so let's be fair with that.

Edit: You can also check the names in the anime official website, typed in PSO2 font in the top-left corner of every character box... if you don't want to bother actually checking the credits for each episode, that is.

https://pso2.jp/anime_eporacle/character/09/

silo1991
Oct 10, 2019, 04:43 PM

its curious how Lisa and Klaris Klaes ages are classified XD , not surprise with Xion and Luther

XrosBlader821
Oct 10, 2019, 06:27 PM
nah at least in EP5 changes, they define an objective(IMO started with a diferent one ) , IMO EP4 never had an objective, for me was the laziest one i ever saw, im still wonder what they wanted to acomplish in that season ?

hell if the demons debuted in EP4 instead of the phantoms , i wouldnt complain , after all i was expecting a downgrade in artistic occurrence after seeing PD and anga fungarde

I think Mits is referring to gameplay not the story.

EspeonageTieler
Oct 11, 2019, 12:14 AM
About the names... Just a quick reminder for you guys:

[SPOILER-BOX]https://i.imgur.com/3TFxzOS.png
From Episode 1 credits.[/SPOILER-BOX]

So, yeah, Melfonseana is actually accurate.

The same way its Gettemhult, Risa, Patty, Tiea, Klariskrays, Sarah and many, many other names which there is an official romanization of the katakana yet people from the english patch apparently ignore and mess up for no reason.

Falspawn is awful and even contradicts the lore, as well as there is no reason to change Naberius' name, but they actually got the names right on the subs so let's be fair with that.

Edit: You can also check the names in the anime official website, typed in PSO2 font in the top-left corner of every character box... if you don't want to bother actually checking the credits for each episode, that is.

Not to say you are wrong but this also doesn't mean that sega of japan didn't just miss translate the names them selves.

Kondibon
Oct 11, 2019, 01:09 AM
Falspawn is awful and even contradicts the loreHow so?

its curious how Lisa and Klaris Klaes ages are classified XD , not surprise with Xion and Luther

If you're actually curious, it's because Klaris is a clone, which means she's at most 10 years old, probably younger and that would stand out, especially since she's meant to look about Sarah's age. Lisa is actually the first Cast ever so she's possibly older than Maria and Regius.

Not to say you are wrong but this also doesn't mean that sega of japan didn't just miss translate the names them selves.

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of them are google translated actually. Google translate has a REALLY easy time phonetically transcribing Katakana, but it isn't always accurate to how the word that's meant to be transcribed. The thing that made me think this is Sarah's name having an H in it. It's a relatively common spelling for that name, but not how you usually transcribe those kana, so it's the kind of thing google translate would do for a common word, but for words and names that aren't normally rendered in Katakana, it just opproximates the phonetics.

Dark Mits
Oct 11, 2019, 02:35 AM
If you're actually curious, it's because Klaris is a clone, which means she's at most 10 years old, probably younger and that would stand out, especially since she's meant to look about Sarah's age. Lisa is actually the first Cast ever so she's possibly older than Maria and Regius.This reminds me of Rika in Phantasy Star IV, who had her age explicitly stated to be 1, as in born this year (or the previous?) while looking as a full grown adult.

Also, how do we know that when it says "73 year old", it's the same 73 years as in real life Earth timekeeping? Common videogame ease-of-use convention?

Shear
Oct 11, 2019, 02:54 AM
Also, how do we know that when it says "73 year old", it's the same 73 years as in real life Earth timekeeping? Common videogame ease-of-use convention?
Pretty much, it seems mostly accurate at least considering what we have seen from the characters ... mostly. I mean we have Characters like Zeno who do look like they age and then we have ones Like Stratos and Marlu who look considerable younger than they are.

Kondibon
Oct 11, 2019, 03:50 AM
This reminds me of Rika in Phantasy Star IV, who had her age explicitly stated to be 1, as in born this year (or the previous?) while looking as a full grown adult.I wonder why they wouldn't want people to know then./s By stand out though, I mostly meant that it would make certain things about her more obvious.

Also, how do we know that when it says "73 year old", it's the same 73 years as in real life Earth timekeeping? Common videogame ease-of-use convention?Yes.

landman
Oct 11, 2019, 06:29 AM
It's provably classified because it's not public that Claris is a clone, and we don't really know when was she "born", only when the original was kidnapped (10 years ago).

Krystalwitch
Oct 11, 2019, 10:00 AM

It's still way more official than an english patch done by fans, and as long as they even bothered to do an official romanization... it should be respected.

How so?

tl;dr they discovered darkers way before knowing what is a falz, and of course didn't know their origin... so no way they could have called darkers "falspawn" without knowing that, plus considering ARKS is a military organization, changing the name of their main enemy after knowing that would definitely counter-productive for efficiency and get confusing for many, many members.

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of them are google translated actually. Google translate has a REALLY easy time phonetically transcribing Katakana, but it isn't always accurate to how the word that's meant to be transcribed. The thing that made me think this is Sarah's name having an H in it. It's a relatively common spelling for that name, but not how you usually transcribe those kana, so it's the kind of thing google translate would do for a common word, but for words and names that aren't normally rendered in Katakana, it just opproximates the phonetics.
Go ahead and try for yourself in that case, but let me tell you it doesn't actually happen that way. (For example, サラ is actually left as Sara, but, as you said, Sarah is a common spelling for the name so thats most probably why they used that one instead of, you know, google translating it)

In any case, almost all names are actually phonetically accurate and well-written so far (with only 3 exceptions, all from Ep4: Aratron and Hagith ("Aratoron" and "Haggith"), although these last two are inaccurate thanks to a wrong source in japanese, and Pietro (which is "Pietoro" smh, but it might be related to the previous mispelling of トロ in Aratron's name),.) I feel it might be because of getting used to the patch translations but, yeah.

Kondibon
Oct 11, 2019, 10:22 AM
tl;dr they discovered darkers way before knowing what is a falz, and of course didn't know their origin... so no way they could have called darkers "falspawn" without knowing that, plus considering ARKS is a military organization, changing the name of their main enemy after knowing that would definitely counter-productive for efficiency and get confusing for many, many members.There's a multiple hundred year long gap between Falz being discovered and the ARKS militarizing if we're going to be scrutinizing the timeline for this.

EDIT: I'm not even that attached to Falspawn specifically, I just think Darker sounds clunky in english.

Go ahead and try for yourself in that case, but let me tell you it doesn't actually happen that way. (For example, サラ is actually left as Sara, but, as you said, Sarah is a common spelling for the name so thats most probably why they used that one instead of, you know, google translating it)You're right, but ultimately my point was that something like Sarah is a lot easier to transcribe than a lot of the other names. Especially since they're based on obscure stuff like goetic demons and minor planetoids.

In any case, almost all names are actually phonetically accurate and well-written so far (with only 3 exceptions, all from Ep4: Aratron and Hagith ("Aratoron" and "Haggith"), although these last two are inaccurate thanks to a wrong source in japanese, and Pietro (which is "Pietoro" smh, but it might be related to the previous mispelling of トロ in Aratron's name),.) I feel it might be because of getting used to the patch translations but, yeah.Most of the phonetic stuff doesn't even bother me much tbh, I just kinda get tired of people trying to pull the "well sega said it's spelled like this, so that's how it's spelled" thing, when a lot of these names are clearly based on real life stuff with established spellings in english.

silo1991
Oct 11, 2019, 11:54 AM
If you're actually curious, it's because Klaris is a clone, which means she's at most 10 years old, probably younger and that would stand out, especially since she's meant to look about Sarah's age. Lisa is actually the first Cast ever so she's possibly older than Maria and Regius.

i knew that , its just curious EP2 thematic was political corruption , why Luther simply never make a fake birth record , false documents and all that stuff

and for Lisa thats new data for EP6 and Maybe Lisa fake her age pretending to be younger like anybody who takes years away XD

Zorak000
Oct 12, 2019, 11:48 AM
from what I've been told; the existence of Dark Falz was apparently classified information, so general ARKS members shouldn't know what a Falz even is.

I still prefer the name Falspawn however

In regards to the character names; at least up until the end of episode 3, the majority of ARKS characters were named after a minor planet; which was a relatively small list back in 2012 compared to where it is now.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_minor_planets:_1%E2%80%931000 you should be able to find them in the first 1000 of them here, but if not you can spot some more here: https://www.minorplanetcenter.net/iau/lists/MPNames.html

I could have sworn ol' gurtmurt and sina were on the list somewhere, I'll have to go dig up the post from the old translation team about the subject. I know Lisa wasn't on the list though...
EDIT: yeah here it was: http://psumods.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=206#p3339 still, they only mentioned a few select npcs

the_importer_
Oct 12, 2019, 12:19 PM
Regarding the name changes, most of them are harmless or can simply be classified in the "Aeris or Aerith" case. The term Darker however is a totally different story because:

1- Everyone who knows what PSO2 is knows they're called Darkers
2- You can clearly hear that they're called Darkers in the Japanese dialog
3- Sentai's localisation of the previous anime called them Darkers
4- You know that this is just Funimation's wokeness that forced the new name probably thinking that it sounds racist or something
5- They'll be in deep shit if SEGA decides to keep the term in the localized version of PSO2 cause they won't match

I was already on the fence on this anime because quite frankly, taking an RPG where your character design is the hero doesn't translate well to a TV show or movie (especially for the 75% of us who make female characters), but if Funimation is going to go on that route, I'd rather import the Japanese Blu-Rays instead of supporting them on that one.

XrosBlader821
Oct 12, 2019, 12:38 PM
3- Sentai's localisation of the previous anime called them Darkers

That's a good point. Changing it at this point just makes it inconsistent with what westerners who haven't played the game have been exposed to so far.

Also I don't get the argument "Darker sounds awkward when spoken in English" These are Subs not Dubs. How it sounds is completely irrelevant.

oratank
Oct 12, 2019, 12:56 PM
they can call it D Arker lol

the_importer_
Oct 12, 2019, 01:25 PM
they can call it D Arker lol

I know you're making a joke, but even if something like this would have made more sense. They could have also have come up with something like "Dahkars",

Zorak000
Oct 13, 2019, 12:48 PM
I think we can all agree that "Photoner" is aggressively awkward no matter how you look at it

Kondibon
Oct 13, 2019, 01:11 PM
I think we can all agree that "Photoner" is aggressively awkward no matter how you look at it

Can't wait to see people's reaction to whatever they change that to.

landman
Oct 13, 2019, 02:04 PM
I don't think they would make up a name like Falspawn just for censoring, that's provably sega's decision which means the new localisation for next year's launch is going to use that therm too. And now I wonder... will they dub it? that would be a huge investment for a f2p game they almost never released. If not then yeah, people will hear DAAKA and CODO EFU etc.

from what I've been told; the existence of Dark Falz was apparently classified information, so general ARKS members shouldn't know what a Falz even is.

Some of the fights are classified, like the one 40 years ago on Naberius, and the fact Elder was sealed there, but Dark Falz is common knowledge, minus the part it takes hosts, provably.

XrosBlader821
Oct 13, 2019, 02:11 PM
DAAKA and CODO EFU etc.

You mean CODO DEE. Code F is the stupid localized name to be consistent with "Falspawn".

the_importer_
Oct 13, 2019, 02:18 PM
I don't think they would make up a name like Falspawn just for censoring, that's provably sega's decision which means the new localisation for next year's launch is going to use that therm too. And now I wonder... will they dub it? that would be a huge investment for a f2p game they almost never released. If not then yeah, people will hear DAAKA and CODO EFU etc.

Ya, pretty sure the sort of "people" who would actually heart this and bitch are too busy trying to "cancel" people on Twitter to actually play a video game.

ratatosk
Oct 13, 2019, 02:18 PM
The story diverged from the game's the moment there was anyone but Ash and Afin in the camship.
TBH that is important because a complete rehash of the game's story would be boring af.

Pretty sure that there was always multiple people in the campship at the start but they decided on focusing on afin only because he was the important one. Guessing how there were other ARKS that were on the planet when you first started.

Can't wait to see people's reaction to whatever they change that to.

inb4 they change it to ancients or old ones XD

Anduril
Oct 13, 2019, 02:39 PM
inb4 they change it to ancients or old ones XD
If they do change it, I doubt they will make it any term that means predecessor considering, if I recall correctly, the first time we hear the term Photoner it is related to Luther and his Void scientists before we learn more about the real Photoners.

Dark Mits
Oct 13, 2019, 03:39 PM
I think we can all agree that "Photoner" is aggressively awkward no matter how you look at itIt sounds fine to me... Then again, English isn't my native language.

Photon derives from the Greek word "φώς" - "phos" which means "light". If they decide to change it, they'd probably go for something that relates to that or the equivalent Latin root "lux". I guess "Lighter" is out of the question

Kondibon
Oct 13, 2019, 05:17 PM
It sounds fine to me... Then again, English isn't my native language.

Photon derives from the Greek word "φώς" - "phos" which means "light". If they decide to change it, they'd probably go for something that relates to that or the equivalent Latin root "lux". I guess "Lighter" is out of the questionIt sounds weird in english because photon is a noun, and the suffix "-er" is usually added to verbs (e.g. runner, carrier, singer). It's obviously in reference to their relationship with Photon technology, so it's not an unfitting name, it just sounds unnatural in english. I get the impression that they were going for something meaning "Photon people" or "photon using people", which would mean something like Photonian, or something might work better, but I'm mostly drawing blanks unless we drop the photon part entirely for a different light related word.

Alternatively Photoneer, as a portmanteau of Photon and Engineer. :wacko:

landman
Oct 13, 2019, 07:40 PM
But "photons" have been a major thing in the series since PSO, changing the reference word here would be like changing Falz' name to another thing.

Dark Mits
Oct 14, 2019, 12:32 AM
But "photons" have been a major thing in the series since PSO, changing the reference word here would be like changing Falz' name to another thing.Something like Dulk Fakis?

Kondibon
Oct 14, 2019, 06:07 AM
But "photons" have been a major thing in the series since PSO, changing the reference word here would be like changing Falz' name to another thing.That was kind of my point, but changing the name of the Photoners isn't the same as changing the name of the photons in general anyway.

Something like Dulk Fakis?To be fair, that was stupid.

Meteor Weapon
Oct 14, 2019, 06:48 AM
Arent Dulk Fakis and Dark Falz two different beings?

Kondibon
Oct 14, 2019, 06:54 AM
Arent Dulk Fakis and Dark Falz two different beings?I wouldn't be surprised. It's been forever since I played PSU though.

Anduril
Oct 14, 2019, 09:19 AM
Arent Dulk Fakis and Dark Falz two different beings?

They are. Dulks Fakis was the psuedo-Dark Falz that Magashi became at the end of the original offline story, while Dark Falz proper showed up later.
Dulk Fakis: ダルク・ファキス
Dark Falz: ダーク・ファルス

rokkuman
Oct 14, 2019, 12:12 PM
This episode is quite good. The pacing feels better and the soundtrack nails it too. Feels nice compared to the game's shitty introduction.

Maninbluejumpsuit
Oct 14, 2019, 02:56 PM
Bet Quna did it.

Kintama
Oct 14, 2019, 04:35 PM
Bet Quna did it.

The scene where Asshu looks at something next to Matoi then goes "must be my imagination" gives it away.

Kohana got Quna'd

Meteor Weapon
Oct 14, 2019, 04:52 PM
Damn why is this adaptation so good.

Anduril
Oct 14, 2019, 05:17 PM
My main problem so far is that Ash is such a generic broody mysterious past-type protagonist; there is nice potential there by having him have that link to Xion already and being an orphan (who maybe is a result of experimentation?), but, come on, even with all the mystery they could still have given him a more interesting personality.
Also, I get they want to show the darkness and danger, but I just hope they don't continue with the obvious red-shirt shock deaths in every episode.

ShinMaruku
Oct 14, 2019, 05:33 PM
Show has a good star. Goddamn when somebody competent gets ahold of something.

Now if Sega would kindly....

DrCatco
Oct 15, 2019, 02:20 AM
[...] Also, I get they want to show the darkness and danger, but I just hope they don't continue with the obvious red-shirt shock deaths in every episode.

Not happening soon. RIP Kohana-san, we hardly knew you.

The way the story is presented is radically different from the game's story. It's not a bad thing: after all, it's been 6 years since this story was presented.

Also, now I want nights in the Naberius Forest.

EDIT: I like how they are expanding the lore: every ARKS member is able to absorb darker particles, Matoi and MC being the ones with the maximum storage capacity without being visibly affected.

Tymek
Oct 15, 2019, 02:25 AM
I don't like Ash either. But how good is the fact that Matoi is an actual person in this version of the story?

Ezodagrom
Oct 15, 2019, 03:23 AM
Preview images for ep3 are already up, so next they're gonna introduce Claris Claes and Sara, and based on the Sara pic, they're gonna reach the tundra.
https://pso2.jp/anime_eporacle/story/03/

Shear
Oct 15, 2019, 04:27 AM
EDIT: I like how they are expanding the lore: every ARKS member is able to absorb darker particles, Matoi and MC being the ones with the maximum storage capacity without being visibly affected.
I think that's also part of the normal game, it's just that normal arks don't have anywhere our kill count so it can't build up as much. Arks simply have the advantage that thanks to Photons they have some resistance at all.
And yeah, while they obviously changed some things so far I think it's a pretty good adaption. I don't mind Ash being a broody boy as it's much better than "Generic naive and happy protagonist A" like ... the other guy from the adaption I won't speak of.

Meteor Weapon
Oct 15, 2019, 06:01 AM
I don't like Ash either. But how good is the fact that Matoi is an actual person in this version of the story?

Ash Ketchum from Pallet Town is fine tho, I find Shitsuki and Shitsugi way more obnoxious with their power of friendship out of nowhere. Afin and Matoi's character is a great improvement in here and being more relevant than whatever the game tried.

Kondibon
Oct 15, 2019, 07:03 AM
I'm glad Matoi gets to do stuff sooner too. I've always felt she was a character that gave people a bad first impression because of how little she actually does at the start of the game's story.

EDIT: Also on the topic of all the deaths, I honestly prefer it this way because the game did a lot more telling and not enough showing when it came to how serious some of the stuff was. There was all the background fluff of secret assassinations and how dangerous darkers actually are. It's always been there, you just barely ever got to see it outside of that one guy who died at the beginning. I feel like this actually adds more weight to it. That said, I do feel like we're jumping into "The ARKS are suspicious" territory a bit too fast, but it is only a 24 or 25 episode anime.

Ezodagrom
Oct 15, 2019, 08:04 AM
That said, I do feel like we're jumping into "The ARKS are suspicious" territory a bit too fast, but it is only a 24 or 25 episode anime.
Seems like the next episode is already gonna mention Dark Falz (most likely it's gonna mention the battle against Elder from 40 years before the story?), based on the description in the preview page:

アークスと『ダークファルス』の戦いについて知ることになるが……

silo1991
Oct 15, 2019, 08:30 AM
i dont think johana wasnt getting infected by darkers , what happen was Elder was triying to posses her .

just remember the theory about how the host needs to have common things in the personality to able the possesion

i hope in next chapter we see the aquatic darkers

Meteor Weapon
Oct 15, 2019, 09:12 AM
I guess they're gonna skip the whole Clarissa fragment plot huh.

Anduril
Oct 15, 2019, 09:24 AM
EDIT: Also on the topic of all the deaths, I honestly prefer it this way because the game did a lot more telling and not enough showing when it came to how serious some of the stuff was. There was all the background fluff of secret assassinations and how dangerous darkers actually are. It's always been there, you just barely ever got to see it outside of that one guy who died at the beginning. I feel like this actually adds more weight to it.

Mind, I do like they they are showing the weight of the danger, but I'm specifically talking about the kind of death where they introduce a character and kill them in the same episode. To me, doing this lessens the gravity of it as it basically becomes telegraphed that anyone introduced in an episode is going to be killed off if they aren't in the OP or ED; give us some anime-original characters, build up their personality and bond to Ash over a few episodes, then kill a few of them at key moments just when we feel they are safe.

rokkuman
Oct 15, 2019, 09:30 AM
i dont think johana wasnt getting infected by darkers , what happen was Elder was triying to posses her .

just remember the theory about how the host needs to have common things in the personality to able the possesion

i hope in next chapter we see the aquatic darkers

Could it be Luther mind controlling her?

Anduril
Oct 15, 2019, 09:35 AM

Like an individual CODE: Abyss? That could be interesting and be a way to foreshadow its existence before the Mothership infiltration.

Zephyrion
Oct 15, 2019, 09:44 AM

I think the more obvious possibilty is Dark Falz Elder's influence, since they're showing the Ruins tower and all, it also hints nicely at the fact that darker energy being unable to corrupt ARKS is a bold-faced lie

Kondibon
Oct 15, 2019, 09:47 AM
Mind, I do like they they are showing the weight of the danger, but I'm specifically talking about the kind of death where they introduce a character and kill them in the same episode. To me, doing this lessens the gravity of it as it basically becomes telegraphed that anyone introduced in an episode is going to be killed off if they aren't in the OP or ED; give us some anime-original characters, build up their personality and bond to Ash over a few episodes, then kill a few of them at key moments just when we feel they are safe.I think it's mainly an issue with the fact that they can't kill off major characters, or introduce new long term major characters that never existed before. I get what you mean though.

Could it be Luther mind controlling her?I doubt it. I'm not sure what the point would be, and they made it a point to have her be fixated with the tree, and also explained the the whole thing with ARKS absorbing the darker particles/f-factor/poopy-goop. Not to mention, if Quna is the one who assassinated her, I'm not really sure why Luther would mind control her just to get her killed.

It's more likely she was being influenced by Elder, and Quna was sent in to get rid of her before she could do anything dangerous. It's a similar reason that geologist guy in the game almost gets assassinated by her. To keep the secret that elder is just sealed in naberius a secret.

XrosBlader821
Oct 15, 2019, 01:09 PM
I guess they're gonna skip the whole Clarissa fragment plot huh.

Collecting 3 pieces of a magical weapon in order to fix it = Videogame format
Finding a broken weapon and just fixing it = Non-Videogame format

Ezodagrom
Oct 15, 2019, 02:58 PM
Collecting 3 pieces of a magical weapon in order to fix it = Videogame format
Finding a broken weapon and just fixing it = Non-Videogame format
If the hunt for the fragments is skipped, I wonder how the introduction of Lillipa and Amduscia will be handled.
Especially Amduscia, since Ro Kamits was introduced together with one of the fragment.

Ah well, based on the next ep preview pics, they'll reach the tundra in the next ep, so maybe they'll find either the main Clarissa piece or even a full broken Clarissa then?

XrosBlader821
Oct 15, 2019, 03:39 PM
If the hunt for the fragments is skipped, I wonder how the introduction of Lillipa and Amduscia will be handled.
Especially Amduscia, since Ro Kamits was introduced together with one of the fragment.

Ah well, based on the next ep preview pics, they'll reach the tundra in the next ep, so maybe they'll find either the main Clarissa piece or even a full broken Clarissa then?

Well considering the changes done so far I wouldn't be surprised if they changed things a lot. Like Lilipa is just a random mission then Afin sees apprentice for a split second etc. and Amduskia might just be completely changed to be fully Quna related. We're in episode 2 and already Hadred (or however you pronounce his name correctly) is being foreshadowed.

Kondibon
Oct 15, 2019, 04:49 PM
The Lilipa and Amduscia stories could fit into single episodes each. I feel like they introduce too much stuff that becomes relevant later to be skipped entirely.

landman
Oct 15, 2019, 05:24 PM
give us some anime-original characters, build up their personality and bond to Ash over a few episodes, then kill a few of them at key moments just when we feel they are safe.
I was hoping for something like this, since he was the player character, then make him chill out and do some missions with other comrades, it's not like we are always soloing with Afin as a partner, right? right???.... but then they killed Sue, Rupika and Toaster in chapter one...

silo1991
Oct 15, 2019, 05:36 PM
I was hoping for something like this, since he was the player character, then make him chill out and do some missions with other comrades, it's not like we are always soloing with Afin as a partner, right? right???.... but then they killed Sue, Rupika and Toaster in chapter one...

Rupika suddenly dissapear in the campship , a friend notice that its like the team forgot to draw her later on that episode XD

Shear
Oct 16, 2019, 01:25 AM
Rupika suddenly dissapear in the campship , a friend notice that its like the team forgot to draw her later on that episode XD
Actually if I remember right she wasn't in the Camp Ship to begin with, only among the people listening to the speech.Guess she was part of another team.

landman
Oct 16, 2019, 02:28 AM
She was provably on the blind spot on the rest of the scenes, most of them during the travel are either seen just before landing or after that, but none of the shots show the full squad.

Shear
Oct 16, 2019, 02:47 AM
I think the very first birds eye view in the ship showed everyone on the ship. At least it matched with the ones on the ground later. I rewatch later once I'm home to be sure but I noticed right away several people we saw at the speech weren't among them (There where a lot more). Now that I think about it they didn't have a single Tech user with them at all.

:EDIT: Watched it again and it seems you're right. That Scene where they watched Regius Speak was already on the Ship if you look closely and except for her and maybe 1-2 others the rest appeared again in the next scene. Maybe she got cold feet and didn't input her data after all.
On a side note they let Cast stand instead of sitting with everyone else, talk about rude :-/ It's not as if there weren't free seats.

StreetFighter2242
Oct 18, 2019, 09:48 PM
Well i watched EP 2 and i was wondering...

When does Ash kicks Gettemhult's ass?

Nicktendonick
Oct 18, 2019, 10:19 PM
Well i watched EP 2 and i was wondering...

When does Ash kicks Gettemhult's ass?

Since we don't really need the short boss fight, Dia can just activate the rod and free Elder...so most likely no. Though, I'll admit, might be fun to See Getty's "I am a Genius! Oh No!" moment. Honestly, if he was seeking power, or thought he could absorb him and overpower him would sound less stupid "Come possess me! I'll make you my bitch Elder!" Or well, making him actually try to fight or do something to Elder or something instead of just well going from Genius to Oh no instantly.

Mind, I do like they they are showing the weight of the danger, but I'm specifically talking about the kind of death where they introduce a character and kill them in the same episode. To me, doing this lessens the gravity of it as it basically becomes telegraphed that anyone introduced in an episode is going to be killed off if they aren't in the OP or ED; give us some anime-original characters, build up their personality and bond to Ash over a few episodes, then kill a few of them at key moments just when we feel they are safe.

Yeeeeeeep. I think they took a few lessons from Goblin Slayer, and knew "we have to have a few shocking things to hook people". Granted, I wouldn't mind if they took a darker tone, but I really hope they don't pull off a Walking Dead where everyone not the main characters will die.

Not happening soon. RIP Kohana-san, we hardly knew you.

The way the story is presented is radically different from the game's story. It's not a bad thing: after all, it's been 6 years since this story was presented.

Also, now I want nights in the Naberius Forest.

I want nights too. You could make that the harder version of the forest, or a rare event that "you wind up at night, things will go badly" Like how you have a chance to wind up in the Darker Den during TAs.

I always did think that, that all ARKs did suck up some darker particles, like everything else that kills darkers. Just for us our photonic weapons destroy the D-factor cells so our absorption is minimal, while others get all the D-factor they kill, leading to messy deaths.

Honestly, the one thing I think that whole thing needed was Getty and Lisa telling her that she needs to be purified, or "You gotta stop skipping purification". That she made the mistake of not getting purified of D-factor (which I'd assume, the Oracle-ites know how to deal with), and she got too corrupted. Also, when she snapped they should have shown an infection core somewhere starting to grow on her...

How? Sounds okay to me.

People tend to forget how Episode 1 depicted ARKS and its universe too. The story was much darker, acually tackling the problem of casualties, people disappearing because they knew too much about ARKS' dirty secrets and so on. Theodore Liza and Gettemhart all embodied a darker side that the game progressively set on the side. So really having actual violence depicted in the anime to show that this isn't a world full of roses is the best way to go about it. They can't adapt every optional dialogue and whatever to make you progressively understand that through hints because yeah medium differences, so it's better to shove that fact in the audience's face from the get-go.

Very true...but honestly, things like the Patty and Tea encounter and then finding a mutilated corpse feels a bit jarring. Or maybe I kinda look at some of the story and everyone feels so milk-toast and plain. We're only two episodes in, so hopefully these characters instead get fleshed out and feel more like characters then just boring tropes.

Not just the dagans, the Rockbear Gettemhart was sitting on was easily 2-3 times too big, the infected Oodan was the size a Rockbear should be. The El Ahda was probably the closest to being in scale but even that one was a bit too large.

To me, it seems like the one criticism I have about PSO2, they have no sense of scale. "We lost 40% of our military force from a single engagement with the photoner fleet, that's totally something we'll never bring up or freak out about again". So in that sense, the anime is living up to the spirit of the game? I'm chill with it, not a big deal to me.

Muse Asia's translation seems faithful to the original, just gotta leave it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmqo3XB66Eo
Thanks for that link...but I can't view it in my area.

Is there a legal way to get around and see this version of the translation? I keep hearing Darker and D-factor and it keeps irking me, like a man with OCD noticing a slight stain on his shirt. Sure you can live without it, but it's a constant itch.

LinkEP
Oct 19, 2019, 07:58 PM
Thanks for that link...but I can't view it in my area.

Is there a legal way to get around and see this version of the translation? I keep hearing Darker and D-factor and it keeps irking me, like a man with OCD noticing a slight stain on his shirt. Sure you can live without it, but it's a constant itch.

Have you tried VPN and connect to any Southeast Asian server?
If you are referring to the species, "Darker" was correct. D-Factor is a dark virus (or dark photon) in PSO1.

Edit:
To be more specific, Darker Factor is the PSO2 term for D-Factor (PSO1), and I think they both have the same definition.

Shear
Oct 21, 2019, 02:49 AM
Since we don't really need the short boss fight, Dia can just activate the rod and free Elder...so most likely no. Though, I'll admit, might be fun to See Getty's "I am a Genius! Oh No!" moment. Honestly, if he was seeking power, or thought he could absorb him and overpower him would sound less stupid "Come possess me! I'll make you my bitch Elder!" Or well, making him actually try to fight or do something to Elder or something instead of just well going from Genius to Oh no instantly.
Technically your last bit was his plan. he wanted to fight Elder like the Ax Crazy Idiot he is (I think to prove himself he is now strong enough) ... and Elder simply said Lolno YOINK and then Getty was Elder :p

Meteor Weapon
Oct 21, 2019, 11:11 AM
I like the horror factor they did on Elder, really broke the roof of what the game did lol.

isCasted
Oct 21, 2019, 11:33 AM
And now enemies are back to their normal size

oratank
Oct 21, 2019, 11:39 AM
rip Rupika i guess

mother clusterfck
Oct 21, 2019, 01:56 PM
Why is everyone so butthurt about this? There's obviously a reason for it, and the other terms were obviously changed to accommodate that. Using "darker" as the name for them just sounds bad in dialogue english, it always has.

If you don't like the subs matching the words the characters are saying that's one thing, but don't act like this was arbitrary, or even confusing. I have yet to see anyone be confused by it, and it's certainly less arbitrary than some of the changes to jojo stand names that were just words that couldn't be traced to a musical reference unless you knew already.
Just as I said, the pointlessness and the added confusion is why we complain. It's not terribad like Neptunia games with their rewrite "translations" that get things wrong all the time, change characters' personalities and add a ton of cringy made up dialog ontop of the real dialog but people still spent time and effort on coming up with Falspawn and decided to use it despite all the issues it causes.
Anything with dark in it would have been fine, Darkspawn, Dark Ones, anything but instead they went with something that made no sense and just looks stupid and is confusing.
Why?
TBH feels like translators of Japanese anime and games often try to leave their own mark, thinking themselves special and awesome by distorting the original story (which is what people actually want to experience) and instead adding as much of their own crap as possible, getting delusional about how people like it cause of the awesome translator and not cause the original story is good.

Kondibon
Oct 21, 2019, 02:08 PM
TBH feels like translators of Japanese anime and games often try to leave their own mark, thinking themselves special and awesome by distorting the original story (which is what people actually want to experience) and instead adding as much of their own crap as possible, getting delusional about how people like it cause of the awesome translator and not cause the original story is good.You're really overblowing this...

I'm starting to realize that my problem is with people's reaction, not whether or not Falspawn is actually a good name or not. This is just a change to a proper noun that sounded bad in english into something that sounds better in english. Nothing about the plot changed by this, it doesn't inherently contradict anything, and it's not a legacy term like tech or class names. People are just upset that they hear one thing and read another thing. Darkspawn would have been fine too.

StreetFighter2242
Oct 21, 2019, 02:51 PM
You're really overblowing this...

I'm starting to realize that my problem is with people's reaction, not whether or not Falspawn is actually a good name or not. This is just a change to a proper noun that sounded bad in english into something that sounds better in english. Nothing about the plot changed by this, it doesn't inherently contradict anything, and it's not a legacy term like tech or class names. People are just upset that they hear one thing and read another thing. Darkspawn would have been fine too.

Dragon Age Crossover Confirmed lol.

jooozek
Oct 21, 2019, 04:40 PM
i dont get the bitching about the names either, the translator might've gotten a glossary defining the official-to-be nomenclature from the upcoming west localisation, just clog your ears so you don't hear it :wacko:

LordKaiser
Oct 21, 2019, 05:08 PM
You're really overblowing this...

I'm starting to realize that my problem is with people's reaction, not whether or not Falspawn is actually a good name or not. This is just a change to a proper noun that sounded bad in english into something that sounds better in english. Nothing about the plot changed by this, it doesn't inherently contradict anything, and it's not a legacy term like tech or class names. People are just upset that they hear one thing and read another thing. Darkspawn would have been fine too. https://twitter.com/OddGuyHere/status/1186344784287240198 It's not the 1rst time Funimation pulls this crap by changing or adding trash that was not there. I'm sorry but I can't trust this translation because at any time they can insert BS on it and even change the context on scenes. Lucky that there's some subs of episode 1 and 2 of the anime floating around where fans had somewhat fixed them but they're 720p only.

Kondibon
Oct 21, 2019, 06:18 PM
https://twitter.com/OddGuyHere/status/1186344784287240198 It's not the 1rst time Funimation pulls this crap by changing or adding trash that was not there. I'm sorry but I can't trust this translation because at any time they can insert BS on it and even change the context on scenes. Lucky that there's some subs of episode 1 and 2 of the anime floating around where fans had somewhat fixed them but they're 720p only.

That's not the same kind of situation at all though. Besides, I'm talking specifically about the changes to terminology, not how faithful the translation of intent is. I agree with Jooozek, it's probably because of localization changes being made for the NA release, not anything on Funimation's side.

landman
Oct 21, 2019, 07:38 PM
So, what about all the Afin fanservice? :wacko:

And I wonder if all that new lore was stated in message capsules or merchandise or what, but it really fits with everything we saw in game (the ruins being cloaked from view). also how they just needed Ash to walk into the snow just to notice it was unnatural, they made Rogio act unnecessary just like that xD

Touka
Oct 21, 2019, 07:39 PM
That scene at the monument reminded me of Dark Falz in PSO.I really like how much darker the anime is.

Anduril
Oct 21, 2019, 09:36 PM
So, what about all the Afin fanservice? :wacko:

And I wonder if all that new lore was stated in message capsules or merchandise or what, but it really fits with everything we saw in game (the ruins being cloaked from view). also how they just needed Ash to walk into the snow just to notice it was unnatural, they made Rogio act unnecessary just like that xD
I imagine that a lot of it is from message capsules and lobby NPC dialogue that was never translated (remember, NPCs would come and go depending on where you were on the Matterboard).

silo1991
Oct 22, 2019, 08:54 AM
That scene at the monument reminded me of Dark Falz in PSO.I really like how much darker the anime is.

the figures really remind me the floor of PSO1 scene .

when Klaris fight i wonder why the minions didnt attack ? also when Afin zips again that really hurt :S

as for Rogio yeah he is out of the equation , maybe Aki and Fourier too

BTW i wonder if Ohza and Marlu will appear because we havent heard anything from them since EP3 (i know they made a cameo on EP5)

i wonder if there were conflicts or the writters simply never trought in any story for them

landman
Oct 22, 2019, 09:42 AM
I hope they show, otherwise code AVIS will be only Lisa and randoms, but who knows, maybe they make Lisa scary as hell on her own.

Ezodagrom
Oct 22, 2019, 10:16 AM
Ep4 preview, based on the description they're gonna meet Ulc next episode.
https://pso2.jp/anime_eporacle/story/04/

XrosBlader821
Oct 22, 2019, 10:42 AM
I guess they are retconning Frankas Cafe to be part of the Xions Ship instead of Xiaos.

Shear
Oct 22, 2019, 12:33 PM
That's the same Arks Ship. What's different between Xion and Xiao is the Mothership.
And yeah ... they managed to make this much more freaky.

XrosBlader821
Oct 22, 2019, 01:33 PM
then they retconning when the cafe was opened. Same pants, different color.

landman
Oct 22, 2019, 03:23 PM
Since that was not a thing that happened in the main story it could be put whenever they want, just like we accessed the casino boloyal just when PSU expansion was launched, but the story only mentioned it in one of the 4 endings on Episode 3.

StreetFighter2242
Oct 22, 2019, 10:28 PM
So i watched the 3rd episode (Sort of and things are coming uprave nicely so far Of coruse Gettemhult is still a douche And tech girl...... Oh boy.... She's probably gonna die a slow painful agonizing death bit but i'm not gonna write her off just yet.

Meteor Weapon
Oct 23, 2019, 01:34 AM
So i watched the 3rd episode (Sort of and things are coming uprave nicely so far Of coruse Gettemhult is still a douche And tech girl...... Oh boy.... She's probably gonna die a slow painful agonizing death bit but i'm not gonna write her off just yet.

She aint gonna die if that's what you're wondering.

Shear
Oct 23, 2019, 01:48 AM
She aint gonna die if that's what you're wondering.

Try to mark spoilers for those that actually don't know the story like him. For us that's a nearly a decade old hat but for him that's new.

XrosBlader821
Oct 23, 2019, 01:54 AM
Since that was not a thing that happened in the main story it could be put whenever they want, just like we accessed the casino boloyal just when PSU expansion was launched, but the story only mentioned it in one of the 4 endings on Episode 3.

If we go by the game cutscenes neither Casino nor frankas Cafe were a thing till they released in their individual episodes, hence retcon.

landman
Oct 23, 2019, 06:06 AM
And the lobby was also changed in episode 2 and never to bee seen again, even in old cutscenes if you re-watch them now, except for the ones that were rendered like Quna's concert with the couple nerds, if Episode 3 Ulc's is talking about a redesign but not specifically talking about the cafe, and it's actually irrelevant to the story as it is, then there is really not an specific point in time, after all we have been doing franka's orders since day one, the restaurant was already a thing even if not accessible to the player.

Edit: the same can be said about ultimate, we accessed the fields and seen its intro way before the story introduced them.

XrosBlader821
Oct 23, 2019, 08:10 AM
And the lobby was also changed in episode 2 and never to bee seen again, even in old cutscenes if you re-watch them now, except for the ones that were rendered like Quna's concert with the couple nerds, if Episode 3 Ulc's is talking about a redesign but not specifically talking about the cafe, and it's actually irrelevant to the story as it is, then there is really not an specific point in time, after all we have been doing franka's orders since day one, the restaurant was already a thing even if not accessible to the player.

Edit: the same can be said about ultimate, we accessed the fields and seen its intro way before the story introduced them.

Im not saying i have a problem with the retcon, just pointing out that it it a retcon.

Tyreek
Oct 28, 2019, 01:23 PM
Some points for contrast for episode 4:
Clarissa in the current episode gets discovered, and in the same episode, Hadred also appears for his all you can eat buffet. Clarissa isn't even fragmented in this continuity. Guess they're really pushing Rogio out the door in this continuity.

Ulc and Theodore also get introduced. Ulc went from part time waitress to getting sworn in as an ARKS. Theodore is still the sniveling shit that he was introduced to be, so annoyingly in this, that I like it.

Luther is goading Gettemhart's strings, and now we see a rather simple reason why he got so interested in reawakening Elder

The end of the episode has Ship 128 getting attacked, which could mean... Ulc literally dies as quickly as she'll get introduced. XD

XrosBlader821
Oct 28, 2019, 01:43 PM
The end of the episode has Ship 128 getting attacked, which could mean... Ulc literally dies as quickly as she'll get introduced. XD[/spoiler]

Now that i think about it, probably the only reason why Ulc doesn't die just as fast in the game is because EP1 is padded with a lot of those side stories that don't necessarily need to be there.

landman
Oct 28, 2019, 05:10 PM
For a second I thought that gunner was Clotho, and as soon as he was someone new, we knew what was coming lol

Will_2_Power
Oct 28, 2019, 07:10 PM
I was almost half-expecting for there to be someone dancing in the lobby... lulz.

DrCatco
Oct 28, 2019, 07:54 PM
Theodore is supposed to favor ice, but eh.

Just for the lulz, Theodore should have summoned a Zondeel, panic, and finished everything with a Nazonde.

Sizustar
Oct 28, 2019, 08:20 PM
So we're going to get Dewman and Io soon?

Anduril
Oct 28, 2019, 08:37 PM
So we're going to get Dewman and Io soon?

I wonder if they are going to go with our meddling creating a ripple effects causing Deumen to have been an older race (like is implied with that dialogue from Luther that only is there for non-Deumen during his intro scene) or if they are all going to be recent conversions like Theo.

Sizustar
Oct 28, 2019, 09:23 PM
I wonder if they are going to go with our meddling creating a ripple effects causing Deumen to have been an older race (like is implied with that dialogue from Luther that only is there for non-Deumen during his intro scene) or if they are all going to be recent conversions like Theo.

Or just both~
Dewman already exist, but number are few, Luthor created more recent dewman?

Ezodagrom
Oct 29, 2019, 05:44 AM
Ep5 preview pics:
https://pso2.jp/anime_eporacle/story/05

oratank
Oct 29, 2019, 06:00 AM
" We need you join Dewman the Arks next generation savior of Temis"Luther's News

landman
Oct 29, 2019, 06:30 AM
Or just both~
Dewman already exist, but number are few, Luthor created more recent dewman?

Did dewman exist before episode 2? I don't remember it clearly but I think Xion said the past was changed, by Luther? so they popped as a common species in Oracle.

XrosBlader821
Oct 29, 2019, 08:29 AM
Did dewman exist before episode 2? I don't remember it clearly but I think Xion said the past was changed, by Luther? so they popped as a common species in Oracle.

Duman were originally introduced with Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity. Supposidly this game takes place prior to PSO2.

Anduril
Oct 29, 2019, 09:55 AM

Here is the dialogue that only shows up for non-Deumen when Luther first shows up in Episode 2 (I've had this screenshot for a while so I don't know if there have been any changes to the translation):
https://i.imgur.com/oRpJuez.png
I always took it as Luther becoming aware that we had been meddling in time, and it was a kind of butterfly effect thing as a result of what we did, and then later on, to my rough recollection, Io tells us that Deumen are the result of experimentation with either Darkers or the fossils of the species Chrome Dragons were cloned from (I forget which).

Duman were originally introduced with Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity. Supposidly this game takes place prior to PSO2.
Timeline-wise the PSU games seem to take place prior to PSO2 since the cutscenes with Emilia take place once they have cracked subspace travel, but since she appears in Episode 4, it is also possible that Po2/Po2i take place concurrently with Episode 1/2, assuming subspace doesn't also have some sort of time travel component to it.

Kondibon
Oct 29, 2019, 08:38 PM
, Io tells us that Deumen are the result of experimentation with either Darkers or the fossils of the species Chrome Dragons were cloned from (I forget which).I think it was both.

I'm pretty sure PSP2i/The PSU setting in general is in an entirely different dimension, so that point is kind of moot.

silo1991
Oct 29, 2019, 09:38 PM
Some points for contrast for episode 4:
Luther is goading Gettemhart's strings, and now we see a rather simple reason why he got so interested in reawakening Elder

wow i cant believe i predicted that in a video i did months ago

https://youtu.be/hrsinxoyXpg?t=114

remember active the subs, EP2 times spoilers btw

landman
Oct 30, 2019, 08:15 AM

The same way Numan/Newman from Algol are different species from the ones on Ragol, Gurhal or even the new Newman in Coral, I think it's obvious Gurhal Duman/Dewman are different from Oracle ones. It's even hard to call humans by that name in PSO2 (or PSU), after all they are all engineered species.

assuming subspace doesn't also have some sort of time travel component to it.

It provably does, since Gurhal's Rykross Falz and VR ruins had memories from unaltered Ragol, then Emilia saved Rico and nothing happened in Ragol. Also unless all the mother-photoner thing happened 4,5 billion years ago, I'd assume they dropped Mother through time as well.

All of this, or it's just non canon fanservice in both cases, having PSO elements in PSU, and PSU elements in PSO2.

Meteor Weapon
Nov 4, 2019, 10:42 AM
Another great episode on how they depict Darker attack on Themis. It's done better than the game did(obviously lol)

Afin sure tags along with Ash a lot in the anime, not that it's a bad thing since it really fits being called partner.

Touka
Nov 4, 2019, 05:01 PM
Was half expecting Apprentice to appear what with her bird darker flying around in Themis and all.Also a brief cameo by Stratos

Meteor Weapon
Nov 4, 2019, 05:25 PM
Was half expecting Apprentice to appear what with her bird darker flying around in Themis and all.Also a brief cameo by Stratos

Bird Darker is Loser's lol. Apprentice commands the bug darkers....tho seeing how Persona can at least give them command I guess every Dark Falz can give orders to any Darkers.

Touka
Nov 4, 2019, 05:32 PM
Right I forgot,nvm then.In any case it sure is taking them long to introduce the Falz.

Maninbluejumpsuit
Nov 4, 2019, 06:11 PM
With that amount of plausible deniability at the end, I'm thinking they're going to cut out time travel.

Anduril
Nov 4, 2019, 06:52 PM
Right I forgot,nvm then.In any case it sure is taking them long to introduce the Falz.

If they are still loosely following the game story in terms of major things, then we have to wait until the end of the Episode 1 content to see any full-on, non-[Persona] Falz.

landman
Nov 4, 2019, 07:55 PM
Isn't it strange they changed Ulc name from one chapter to the other? At first I thought it was Afin's familiarity, changing the Ulc-chan into Ulku, typical friendly deformation, but then Theo is quite formal with her, but they repeated the Ulku thing...

I was expecting a certain Episode 5 cameo in that chapter, and it didn't disappoint :wacko:

Meteor Weapon
Nov 4, 2019, 08:05 PM
Tbh I thought she was from the 10 years ago assault but I guess they comfirm it's the recent one.

Touka
Nov 4, 2019, 08:39 PM
If they are still loosely following the game story in terms of major things, then we have to wait until the end of the Episode 1 content to see any full-on, non-[Persona] Falz.

Well episode 1 was VERY long and Oracle has 20+ episodes to cover 1 thru 3 right?I just don't want any rushed endings or anything because i'm liking what i'm seeing so far.

Anduril
Nov 4, 2019, 10:43 PM
Well episode 1 was VERY long and Oracle has 20+ episodes to cover 1 thru 3 right?I just don't want any rushed endings or anything because i'm liking what i'm seeing so far.

We hit Ep1Ch7 Darker Storm with this episode, so we are already nearing the end of the Ep1's main content (I've always seen the Quna/Hadred Chapters as a filler story because of how it was originally released) since next is the Chapter where we get [Elder]'s appearance.

DrCatco
Nov 5, 2019, 02:40 AM
With that amount of plausible deniability at the end, I'm thinking they're going to cut out time travel.

I don't think they're gonna cut out time travel. After all, in-game, Ulc and Zeno are saved by MC, who traveled through time thanks to Xiao. He tricked Luther, making him believe that his plans were successful.

Also, I like how they started preparing Matoi for the end of Episode 3, where she has basically lost all hope for everything that has happened.

Ezodagrom
Nov 5, 2019, 04:17 AM
Ep6 preview:
https://pso2.jp/anime_eporacle/story/06/

Nyansan
Nov 5, 2019, 06:36 AM
Holy crap, I did not expect that they would show Ulc's body onscreen in such manner. I'm starting to think the anime director is taking notes from Urobochi :lol:

Maninbluejumpsuit
Nov 5, 2019, 05:02 PM
I don't think they're gonna cut out time travel. After all, in-game, Ulc and Zeno are saved by MC, who traveled through time thanks to Xiao. He tricked Luther, making him believe that his plans were successful.

Also, I like how they started preparing Matoi for the end of Episode 3, where she has basically lost all hope for everything that has happened.

Well good point.

Holy crap, I did not expect that they would show Ulc's body onscreen in such manner. I'm starting to think the anime director is taking notes from Urobochi :lol:

I couldn't see her clearly. Feels like they may as well did to her what they did to Sue, but worse, and on screen, and in front of Theo. The ambiguity seems pointless if they fully intend to use time travel.

final_attack
Nov 6, 2019, 03:49 AM
Um, just asking for correction / information .... the kid with blue hair

It's Stratos, right? _(:3」

Touka
Nov 6, 2019, 11:37 AM
Um, just asking for correction / information .... the kid with blue hair

It's Stratos, right? _(:3」

Yep it is.

mother clusterfck
Nov 6, 2019, 02:31 PM
That's really not a spoiler lol.
And I really liked that cameo but too bad she won't appear in the anime cause it only covers ep 1-3. Sadly means no Xiera either but I hope this anime will be popular enough for more animes covering the other episodes to get made as well.

Also, glad Ash got stronger already and we see Liza and Klarisklays (whatever the spelling is) in action cause it just felt so weird seeing Arks get massacred by Dagans left and right, really time for Arks to actually kill some stuff.

Everyone is using 1* weapons, I hope they upgrade them later cause many 1* weapons like rifles, tmgs and wands look quite boring.

XrosBlader821
Nov 8, 2019, 10:35 AM
God This anime looks more fun than the actual Story mode of the game. Scenes are cut together more nicely and we actually see people dying instead of EP1's "Themis is getting attacked, go beat up Dark Range and once you're done a small text box appears saying Ulc has perished then in a different matter board node you can check up on Zieg who's just fine but damn the staff is gone". Also showing Luther early on and keeping time travel a secret is a much better way of going about it than whatever EP1~3 were trying with their "repeat this story quest again but this time go left". Zeno, Ulc and "the Incident 10 years ago" are the only times where PSO2 did Time travel well in the game so they wont cut it out of the anime.

This story doesn't function without Time Travel. Matoi and Persona aren't from this timeline and Zeno already told ash he looks familiar to him. Ofc he does, they met 10 years ago. Showing Theo discovering Ulc's body is just to speed up his plotline. and this doesn't even have to be her body, it can be some other Arks who died protecting her before Ash showed up or a even more fucked up thing would be to have Ash drag a body of a different dead Arks next to the vehicle and litting it on fire himself to not fuck up the timeline.

Meteor Weapon
Nov 8, 2019, 06:16 PM
So far Gonzo did an extremely good job with the anime, this is one of the better game to anime adaptation I've seen in years.

landman
Nov 9, 2019, 04:56 AM
This story doesn't function without Time Travel. Matoi and Persona aren't from this timeline and Zeno already told ash he looks familiar to him. Ofc he does, they met 10 years ago. Showing Theo discovering Ulc's body is just to speed up his plotline. and this doesn't even have to be her body, it can be some other Arks who died protecting her before Ash showed up or a even more fucked up thing would be to have Ash drag a body of a different dead Arks next to the vehicle and litting it on fire himself to not fuck up the timeline.
I don't think they cared about that kind of paradoxes in game, Afin remembering every one of the three ends for the first quest as an example, so Theo not seeing Ulc's body but believing she is dead is the same, specially if that memory pops in his head when he has already changed, the reason they kept Ulc and Zeno hidden was to not diverge too much from the original timeline so they had the advantage knowing what was to come.

Also I believe Xion is already playing with time travel but Ash right now is an outsider so he doesn't know it's happening, she just calls it "fate" :wacko:

oratank
Nov 9, 2019, 06:35 AM
Also I believe Xion is already playing with time travel but Ash right now is an outsider so he doesn't know it's happening, she just calls it "fate" :wacko:

well this Ash don't remember anyone or anything but already has code edge Xion may be wipe his memory and send him back to the begin after he failed matoi to prevent another persona route

RefrainDP
Nov 11, 2019, 04:05 PM
Did Gonzo remade the cutscene where Elder awakens or did they really just put the actual in-game cutscene?

Meteor Weapon
Nov 11, 2019, 05:54 PM
They just took it from the game, which I don't mind. Saves budget for another scene.

Touka
Nov 11, 2019, 07:26 PM
Have to wonder how they'll handle the Elder fight.

Tyreek
Nov 11, 2019, 08:41 PM
Good lord Gettemhart straight up wrecking with gut punches and socks to the face like he doesn't give a shit. And we know he doesn't. lol

RefrainDP
Nov 12, 2019, 01:29 AM
Have to wonder how they'll handle the Elder fight.
Maybe it'll be in-game footage of the upcoming UH Arms and Elder.

oratank
Nov 12, 2019, 01:46 AM
they already have AIS if Ash still has to fight him on foot again that would be pretty dump

DrCatco
Nov 12, 2019, 02:37 AM
Well this chapter sure packet a punch! Not even Echo could save herself from the blows.

Touka
Nov 12, 2019, 03:28 AM
they already have AIS if Ash still has to fight him on foot again that would be pretty dump

But what if Luther cockblocks the AIS order again?

oratank
Nov 12, 2019, 04:05 AM
not when everyone see their Gigantic arch nemesis tearing their fleet apart all arks will ask why and they will search for answer that isn't sound good for Luther's plan because he is the only one who has authority over the six pillar

Ezodagrom
Nov 12, 2019, 04:30 AM
Ep7 preview:
https://pso2.jp/anime_eporacle/story/07/

landman
Nov 12, 2019, 04:32 PM
The ingame canon is that elder divides himself in countless little hands and lots of arks fight those hands until only a little elder colosus remains, so I expect to see that, Omnibus makes it look like you beat him alone.

Shinamori
Nov 13, 2019, 05:56 AM
I wonder if we'll see Aki and Light.

XrosBlader821
Nov 13, 2019, 08:18 AM
I wonder if we'll see Aki and Light.

No. They are irrelevant to the main Persona plot.

landman
Nov 13, 2019, 10:11 AM
Rampaging Dragon plot is part of the anime, so maybe they will show a little once they start travelling to Amduscia.

silo1991
Nov 13, 2019, 10:22 AM
No. They are irrelevant to the main Persona plot.

in best case scenario they will make a cameo along with fourier :P

DrCatco
Nov 15, 2019, 12:32 AM
Something that i didn't remember until now, and I hope Gonzo implements it well: The battle between Ash and Theodore. Man that was a real pain in the ass at the time.

Touka
Nov 18, 2019, 06:32 PM
Well they changed how Elder was "defeated" by having the mothership expend a huge amount of its photons to nuke Elder.

Tyreek
Nov 18, 2019, 09:12 PM
Double is now Gemini in this Funimation dub. I guess I can deal with it.

Shinamori
Nov 18, 2019, 09:34 PM
"Viceroy"?

Kondibon
Nov 18, 2019, 09:43 PM
"Viceroy"?It's a little ostentatious, but it fits Regius' role.

Meteor Weapon
Nov 18, 2019, 10:07 PM
Well they changed how Elder was "defeated" by having the mothership expend a huge amount of its photons to nuke Elder.

They literally exterminatus'd/Death Star'd him and that didnt even kill him lmao

HardBoiledPapa
Nov 18, 2019, 11:33 PM
Damn Luther is such a pervert at the end.

oratank
Nov 18, 2019, 11:43 PM
they always see him as a pervert

DrCatco
Nov 19, 2019, 01:59 AM
Falspawn, F-Factor, Gemini... Something tells me that this will be the official translation of the NA server. Not that I care; I mean, it makes sense, but at the same time is totally strange for me who is accustomed to the ARKS-Layer translation.

landman
Nov 19, 2019, 03:51 AM
The truth is... it makes more sense the anime way than Elder dividing himself continually until he is little enough to be soloed by an ARKS lol they shoot him after he has lost enough mass anyway, so that kind of follows the game. I wish they had used falz arms music....

Ezodagrom
Nov 19, 2019, 04:51 AM
Ep8 preview, the aftermath of both the arks ship attack and dark falz elder:
https://pso2.jp/anime_eporacle/story/08/

Anduril
Nov 19, 2019, 10:56 AM
There probably isn't going to be a Huey presents The ARKS Battle Championship sponsored by Huey in this reality.

silo1991
Nov 19, 2019, 12:56 PM
There probably isn't going to be a Huey presents The ARKS Battle Championship sponsored by Huey in this reality.

like Xion said in the original version of EP1: this event is irrelevant but might be a good expirience :P

Anduril
Nov 19, 2019, 01:26 PM
like Xion said in the original version of EP1: this event is irrelevant but might be a good expirience :P

I just wonder in what context they are going to do the first encounter between Afin and [Apprentice] now if they do completely cut Huey-fest.

XrosBlader821
Nov 19, 2019, 05:42 PM
Falspawn, F-Factor, Gemini... Something tells me that this will be the official translation of the NA server. Not that I care; I mean, it makes sense, but at the same time is totally strange for me who is accustomed to the ARKS-Layer translation.

If I recall correctly both Gemini and Twin are possible interpretations of Double's Dark Falz Title so they aren't making shit up here. Still jarring to hear the characters clearly saying Double and I doubt "Sounds clunky in English" can be really used as a excuse anymore since this time we're dealing with a normal English word.

The truth is... it makes more sense the anime way than Elder dividing himself continually until he is little enough to be soloed by an ARKS lol they shoot him after he has lost enough mass anyway, so that kind of follows the game. I wish they had used falz arms music....

I like it tbh.
It gives conext to why Luther wants Elder restored, so that he can manipulate Regius into weakening the mothership, aka moving Luther closer to his plan of getting that sweet Xion hentai err i mean Omniscience.
Fleet gets cut down by 119 ships. One arks ship goes on its own PS Nova adventure... wouldn't be surprised if at the end the amount of ships will be reduced to 10 just to be self referential. We still got like 40 Ships to burn down i think :wacko:
I kinda want a Remake of PSO2 using the Anime as base now. Or at least imagine EQ's getting revamped using anime as a base. Fighting Falz Arms in the Streets alongside AIS instead of a platform floating in the middle of nowhere. After the Cannon has fired maybe make it more Videogamey where the players have to get closer and deal the final blow. I also like that those Laser Ships used in EP6 make an appearance here, helps a lot with Worldbuilding.

KazukiQZ
Nov 21, 2019, 11:52 AM
blame Sega for the weird sub translation. Official sub groups have to follow the restrictions set by Sega in order to be allowed airing outside of Japan (one of the official sub groups used the actual terms/names from the game at first, but had to re-upload all of the episodes after been given a big NO by the license provider, which is undoubtedly Sega)

Tymek
Nov 21, 2019, 02:50 PM
blame Sega for the weird sub translation. Official sub groups have to follow the restrictions set by Sega in order to be allowed airing outside of Japan (one of the official sub groups used the actual terms/names from the game at first, but had to re-upload all of the episodes after been given a big NO by the license provider, which is undoubtedly Sega)

It's weird because I'm fairly certain that The Animation used the actual game terminology.

LinkEP
Nov 21, 2019, 03:21 PM

While I agree that the "copyright licenser from Japan" forced them (Muse Asia) to change it, I don't think SoJ was the fault here imo. Official chinese translation tried to be closest as original (e.g. Darker = 达卡 pronunciation: da-ka). For Dark Falz names, they used kanji version over japanglish ones (e.g. Double = 双子 "twins" [JP] = 双胞胎 "twins" [ZH]).
I believe it was North America side are in favor to change terminologies.

Anduril
Nov 21, 2019, 03:21 PM
It's weird because I'm fairly certain that The Animation used the actual game terminology.

That was way before the game was planned to be be released in NA. The NA team are likely using this anime with these terms to get people familiar with the terms (and the early story) in preparation for the NA release. I'm sure buzz words like "synergy" were thrown around in the licencing meeting.

Tymek
Nov 23, 2019, 07:48 PM
The anime is doing an excellent job at making Luther and Regius even more unlikeable than they already are.

XrosBlader821
Nov 25, 2019, 11:27 AM
I really like this Revamp of that Extra Chapter we got in EP1
Baby Melrandia is totally adorable and i already see her outfit being a DVD first print exclusive code.
Also ties in nicely with the EP2 chapter 1 grief since it sets up Theodore and Echo for future events.

Ezodagrom
Nov 25, 2019, 11:42 AM
I really like this Revamp of that Extra Chapter we got in EP1
Baby Melrandia is totally adorable and i already see her outfit being a DVD first print exclusive code.
Also ties in nicely with the EP2 chapter 1 grief since it sets up Theodore and Echo for future events.
I also liked the few hints they added about time travel, between Sara's familiarity with Ash (from her point of view they fought against Elder recently, but she quickly realized the Ash she was talking to hadn't gone through that yet), and Elder saying that it's the 3rd time they've met.

vantpers
Nov 25, 2019, 12:00 PM
As expected Ohza was right once again. None of that would've happened if the damn Force players just stayed behind the Hunters.

landman
Nov 25, 2019, 04:49 PM
With this chapter I just noticed... I've never read pso2 zero... was that ever translated?

Maninbluejumpsuit
Nov 25, 2019, 09:19 PM
That portrayal of Gettemhart falling to madness was the most legit bit so far. Wish there was more than flashback snippets though.

Ezodagrom
Nov 26, 2019, 04:19 AM
Episode 9 preview, Quna and Hadred:
https://pso2.jp/anime_eporacle/story/09/ (https://pso2.jp/anime_eporacle/story/09/)

silo1991
Nov 26, 2019, 09:40 AM
That portrayal of Gettemhart falling to madness was the most legit bit so far. Wish there was more than flashback snippets though.

well in the game Melrondia was more like a bitch , because she was jealous of the relationship Melphonshina had with Gettemhart and in the day she died instead of been sad for her loss she was happy to finally have Gettemhart for herself and usurp her sister identity and feed Gettemhart madness

rokkuman
Nov 26, 2019, 12:52 PM
Can we talk about how well animated this episode was compared to the others? The other ones looked a little rough

ShinMaruku
Nov 26, 2019, 07:16 PM
Poor Melondria

Shear
Nov 27, 2019, 03:39 AM
well in the game Melrondia was more like a bitch , because she was jealous of the relationship Melphonshina had with Gettemhart and in the day she died instead of been sad for her loss she was happy to finally have Gettemhart for herself and usurp her sister identity and feed Gettemhart madness
That's partly right, she did had that thought but actually was so horrified by it when she actually died and ... well felt like that it resulted in her pretty much becoming Gettemhardts doormat. She actually sincerely believed that what he became is all her fault and felt extremely guilty about it.

mother clusterfck
Nov 30, 2019, 12:24 PM
Actually in the game Melrandia let her sister die instead of trying to save her and there was at least a good chance Melphonseana would have survived if Melrandia would have acted but instead she let her sister die out of jealousy.
In the anime it's a generic and annoying plot where it was completely out of her control and she still feels crushing guilt but originally it was undeniably her fault that her sister died and this extreme guilt actually makes sense.
That's the entire reason this side plot was decent in the game and wasn't generic bland bs like it's in the anime.
Also in the game it makes Gettemhult's treatment of Melrandia less pathetic and jerkfaced because he has an actual reason to punish her and she has an actual reason to desire his punishment, in the anime he is just purely the bad guy in every aspect, making him and Melrandia far less interesting characters.

Anduril
Nov 30, 2019, 03:06 PM
I feel that some of you guys have never met an 8-year-old with a crush and don't understand survivor's guilt.
I just went back through the Darker Nest chapter, and I'm not seeing where you are getting that it is "undeniably her fault;" from what I can see, her guilt is pretty much what one would expect from someone who experienced the trauma of losing someone as a child. The clones are not speaking the truth, rather they are parroting the dark thoughts Dia has about those events. Her guilt stems from thinking that her going out into the attack is what lead to her sister's death and that Shiina dying is her "reward" for her jealousy (a case of "be careful what you wish for"). While there is the possibility that Shiina might have survived had Dia stayed behind like she was told (though Ep0 seems to show that Shiina dying is something that would happen regardless), Dia didn't just let Shiina die, rather there really was nothing she could do, after all, what could you expect an 8-year-old to do against a Dark Falz.
The only difference between the game and the anime in this regard is that Dia opened up to Ash directly about all of this rather than having those wounds pried at by the clones which forced her to open up to the MC.

silo1991
Dec 2, 2019, 10:04 AM
I feel that some of you guys have never met an 8-year-old with a crush and don't understand survivor's guilt.
I just went back through the Darker Nest chapter, and I'm not seeing where you are getting that it is "undeniably her fault;" from what I can see, her guilt is pretty much what one would expect from someone who experienced the trauma of losing someone as a child. The clones are not speaking the truth, rather they are parroting the dark thoughts Dia has about those events. Her guilt stems from thinking that her going out into the attack is what lead to her sister's death and that Shiina dying is her "reward" for her jealousy (a case of "be careful what you wish for"). While there is the possibility that Shiina might have survived had Dia stayed behind like she was told (though Ep0 seems to show that Shiina dying is something that would happen regardless), Dia didn't just let Shiina die, rather there really was nothing she could do, after all, what could you expect an 8-year-old to do against a Dark Falz.
The only difference between the game and the anime in this regard is that Dia opened up to Ash directly about all of this rather than having those wounds pried at by the clones which forced her to open up to the MC.

well from game persepective i didnt notice the survivor guilt , all i understood was , when Shina died , Dia instead of being sad of her loss she was happy and she didnt realize how bad was that situation until she lost Gettemhart

and because i never found EP0 translated anywhere i dont have the extra info you have

XrosBlader821
Dec 2, 2019, 04:22 PM
Okay so the way the anime is changing Quna's story is interesting.
I'm curious to see how that'll turn out