PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Oven...

Captain_Dude
May 2, 2003, 05:46 AM
I went through all sorts of hassles in the last few hours to try and prehapr a pizza from scratch. I dealt with the double-boiler boiling over into the frozen dough that I was thawing, I delt with the fact that I had to make my sauce NOT taste nasty. But now my oven wont work.
I've been cooking it in the convection oven, but all thats doing is cooking the top and leaving the crust completely uncooked...
I'm being driven insane by this...
I wanna hurt that bloody appliance so much!

Just felt I need to share my insanity.

EDIT: Just finished my pizza in the convectio oven. Topside is well charred, underside is just barely cooked... And it took atleast 3 times longer than if my oven were working...

EDIT yet again: On closer inspection I find that the underside of my pizza wasn't fully cooked... I know it was cooked long enough to eliminate all nasty bacteria, but I feel rather unwell... *sigh* Well, an hour and a half of work down the drain... *sigh*... Thats what I get for not wanting a frozen pizza and not being able to afford take out...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Captain_Dude on 2003-05-02 04:04 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Captain_Dude on 2003-05-02 04:09 ]</font>

Garanz2
May 2, 2003, 12:35 PM
MMM...pizza...

brillyfresh
May 3, 2003, 12:32 AM
when i was 12, i used to cook those Totino's Party Pizzas in a microwave and eat em all soggy

ugh ... they're gross enough as it is, but i like em http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Captain_Dude
May 3, 2003, 04:27 AM
On 2003-05-02 22:32, brillyfresh wrote:
when i was 12, i used to cook those Totino's Party Pizzas in a microwave and eat em all soggy

ugh ... they're gross enough as it is, but i like em http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Bah, when I was 12 I was making pizzas from scratch in the oven. And Dammir, they were good...
I wanna shoot whoever invented the convection oven... In the words of myself "Dammit! Sonnova Dammit Fuck!"

But, the stove's been fixed... and now I shall try for pizza yet again... *sigh*

EDIT: We're out of cheese...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Captain_Dude on 2003-05-03 02:29 ]</font>

LamerPanda
May 3, 2003, 10:30 AM
I've pretty much given up on heating food. I'll always end up with half of it burning hot, and the other half frozen or undercooked.

I used to eat Hot Pockets frozen, but now I've given up on them altogether. Microwave popcorn? Half of it never pops, but it beats my parents, who set it on fire.

The only thing I can bake is those desserts you buy in boxes at the stores, with the packs of mix and whatnot. x_X I wish I could make pizza, even undercooked.

MasterJoel
May 4, 2003, 02:55 AM
On 2003-05-02 03:46, Captain_Dude wrote:
Topside is well charred, underside is just barely cooked...

can i make a suggestion? i go to culinary school, i know what i am doing (i think)

traditionally, pizzas are baked on earthenware because of this problem... thats why pizzarias have special ovens, or you can get an earthenware pizza pan from pampered chef (most of their gadgets suck). if you don't have these, i would suggest not using convection in the future.

i have my own oven rant... the one here at home hasn't been working correctly for almost six months now... when is my dad going to get around to fixing it? i sure could have used the practice during my baking class... and another thing... i was taking my rice pilaf out of the oven a couple of days ago(it was in a pot, using a convection oven), when the handle burned my hand to hell. i have a really big blister on my palm (that fortunately feels good now). i hate damaging my hands, because it means i have to wear those stupid latex gloves in class. dammit all!

Foggy_Pete
May 4, 2003, 08:21 PM
my microwave is a gift from heaven! it cooks everythings (more or less) perfectly when set to 2 mins on high. i pop popcorn, warm up coffee, and cook stofers french bread pizzas flawlessly by setting it to cook for 2 mins
...meh, the topic was close enough