PDA

View Full Version : my idea on how to fix the cheater problem...

samhainmisfit666
Mar 10, 2001, 12:59 AM
ok, this is gonna get long winded. just a warning to all of you. here goes my solution to the plague of cheaters/hackers/dupers. it takes a bit of thought, but you will see that it is a very feasible working of the situation:

first thing needed is for sonic team to reverse-engineer all the cheat devices to find out how the codes work and all the parameters that are changed. the cheat companies did it to enable the codes in the first place, so turnabout is fair play; right?
secondly, instead of creating an addendum disc, there should instead be created an addendum to the SERVER that does the following things....

1. create an additional ship/block area that is strictly used for player versus player battles. this area would also have most of the server safeguards in it's code.

2. also in the code for this new area would be code detection programming that ONLY works for determining if cheats are activated. this does nothing but identify the cheater to the server. kinda like how the time save thing is now.

3. once cheaters are detected, they are forced to occupy the player arena battle ship, and are unable to leave it until the cheats are turned off.

4. the only way that players can really win in the pvp battle is to have skill with the character type. cheaters will only be able to play in this ship/block area.

5. there will be certain public rules for the (in)voluntary battles.
a. there can be only a 3 level difference between the two combatants.
b. each will wager an item of equal type/value before the battle. it must be an EQUIPPED thing on a character's person; or meseta. they may be used in battle, but no two persons will leave with weapons if the wager is for one. to the victor goes the spoils. it is a fair contest between the two.

the beauty part of this idea is this: the cheater has been forced/coerced into playing in this style. they think that all of the codes will still work, and codes will seem to be in place. yet they are covertly disabled by the server, with the user none the wiser. to the cheat, it appears as though all the stat boosts and dupes are intact. in reality, sega has substituted the actual stats from the last REAL save for that character and account. tis sneakier yet...

so, it is ok for the cheater to try, if in the course of the forced battle to impliment these codes for use at any time. it makes no real difference. as unwritten rules, any player whom has a cheat device in the battle area functioning with the game at the start of battle, forfiet occurs. and if the player refuses to give up the item lost in the wager; there is a ten second countdown to a FORCED BSOD for that player. after ten seconds it all goes bye-bye anyway. the bsod sees to that. also, there will only be an allowance of 3 losses of this type to any one game account's access #'s. three strikes yer out. period.

as for the honest players, it's all the same as ever, with the option to earn new stuff in the way of the warrior. also stipulated within the rules will be a no mag allowed rule. you can have it, but it will not function. just to make things fair. and skillz based.

it just seemed easier to me for sonic team to try and accept the cheat device and apply the same concept to how it works with pso. bend the rules and let the cheaters think they will win, when in fact all that happens is alot of deleted characters, and tons of lost items and duped things. all dupes are automatically forfietted upon entry to the ship/block area with pvp. so, it will eliminate that eventually, as well.

i say, let the cheaters cheat; thinking that they will get away with it. but somehow, change the parameters of the game that is running with codes and change how it works dynamically with the whole server.
cheat from then on at your own risk (VERY HIGH RISK), and honest players enjoy the pvp area. this way, everybody wins. use the problem against itself, and it will go away in time.

Heero_Yuy
Mar 10, 2001, 03:16 AM
cheaters can slightly cheat.they can use a inf item and max their stats along with hp and tp offline and come online and kick our asses and then take our items and make many duped copies and spread them along PSO further wrecking our nice community.http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_smile.gif...well then can

Ratsmack
Mar 10, 2001, 03:35 AM
I'm sorry...I really don't like bashing people down...well, I do, but I feel bad sometimes afterwards. But here goes.
(Numbered bashings...wee)
1) First...there IS NO pvp function IN PSO. To add that, they'd have to add it to the game's coding...which means they'd have to add it to the CD...which...is...im...poss..ible! Unless the Dreamcast had the ability to record onto a CD, and even then.
2) If the servers could identify the cheaters, they could just kick them out...which solves all our problems.
3) Yeah...okay...they COULD just disconnect the phone cord. And once ONE cheater learned of this, cheaters would either not cheat or find a way around it...even if it COULD exist.
4) ...Or...have better items...let's say...CHEATED items. Duh. Cheaters will ALWAYS have better stuff than players.
5) Again, impossible. Very much so. And BSODs are NOT server controlled.
I'm sorry, but your idea just can't work. It would be funny if it did...but it just can't work. If they could find some way of just detecting the cheaters...booting them would be enough.

Daggeron
Mar 11, 2001, 10:56 AM
Plus I would like to add. No matter what Sega does. Someone, somewhere will eventually crack there security and fugg with the game. Fact of life with online games. Except you have to understand this is a console game. No patching for console side. Plus no matter how much server side patching you do. It won't affect much (unless in pso2 you made saving server side :http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_razz.gifoke:http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_smile.gif

TapamN
Mar 13, 2001, 12:37 AM
There is ALWAYS a way around something. Zelda 64 was "hack proof", right? Now people are hacking "beta" quests.

Skill-less people cheat/dupe their sorry hide off, and you can really stop it. Dang.

cbwing0
Mar 15, 2001, 10:44 AM
Here's an idea that you may not have considered: IF THE CHEATERS WILL KEEP CHEATING, THEN JUST STOP COMPLAINING!
It seems simple enough, just wait until a cheater joins your team and you can mess with him until he quits or leaves.

wyatt
Mar 17, 2001, 11:50 AM
Yeah it's true, there will always be cheating. But don't act like trying to stop them is a waste of time. Or that it's not do-able. Sega is trying and doing right now.

Sam, where the hell have you been man? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_smile.gif Never see you at GF, never see you on PSO. I thought you were somehow severed from online life for a while.

Ratsmack
Mar 17, 2001, 02:44 PM
Oh, cbwing, what a great idea! If the cheaters keep cheating, we should just sit back and let them. Wait a second! That sounds like utter bullshit! *gasp* That's because it is! Cheaters should not cheat. That's all there is to it. All the legit players are getting annoyed at this, and we're supposed to just back down because cheaters EXIST? Guh. Think before you type next time.

DMB
Mar 18, 2001, 03:28 AM
If your worried about cheaters so much why don't you find some people you're comfortable with and play with them. Then get another guy to find cheaters with to see who you can trust and can't. You can't stop them in teams so find them individually and live with the others who are homosexual. That's a simple solution right?

Barubary
Mar 18, 2001, 10:10 PM
Here I'm going to discount all of your arguments. I make cheat codes for GSCCC sometimes, so I know the realities of it.

> secondly, instead of creating an addendum
> disc, there should instead be created an
> addendum to the SERVER that does the
> following things....

The problem is that the client would not know what these new areas are, and there's nothing the server can do to change that since you can't download new software.

> 2. also in the code for this new area would
> be code detection programming that ONLY
> works for determining if cheats are
> activated. this does nothing but identify the
> cheater to the server. kinda like how the
> time save thing is now.

Doesn't work. Only the client can possibly check for a cheat device. So all you have to do is use a code to crack the anti-cheat protection in the client.

Most people don't realize this: PSO has fairly strong anti-cheat protection in the client. The reason the "item modifier" code is so damn long is because the game moves the character information around RAM randomly to avoid a direct attack on the data. PSO also tries to delete the Game Shark/Xploder in memory. But, since the cheat devices have first strike, this erasure is easily defeated with a code (the "enable code" on GSCCC).

> as unwritten rules, any player whom has a
> cheat device in the battle area functioning
> with the game at the start of battle, forfiet
> occurs.

First of all, "forfeit". Second, the client checking for a cheat device is easily cracked because the cheat device has first strike.

-- Barubary, assistant code maker, GSCCC

ElisteHaute
Mar 18, 2001, 10:59 PM
The one thing everyone seems to forget is that SEGA is in this to make a profit. Having programmers on call to fix the cheating problem is expensive for a game that may have a six to ten month profit lifespan. Unless they want to keep it up like "everquest" with pay servers, it isn't economically viable to try and stop cheaters who are using codes generated by dozens of volunteer coders.

I love this game, and I wish it a good long run, but in the economics and dynamics of the gaming industry I don't see most of the people who are casual players now playing this game in a year from now. I really don't see SEGA making update after update for it either. They are reluctant to bring over the addendum disk now, what about a year from now when their corporate strategy changes?

The cheaters will cheat. SEGA does what it can, but why waste the time and money on a "finished" product when you can be developing new software to make money so you can stay in business?

If that wasn't enough, then: How long will SEGA maintain the servers? It's not like Quake, where servers can be set up everywhere or like Everquest where they are maintained because money comes in every month. PSO is free to play in the States unlike in Japan, where they have a monthly fee to play it. Most of you know that bandwidth costs money (PSO world knows that very well) and so do the people that maintain the servers. So, if the business model of PSO doesn't start making money soon, we all (cheaters as well as normal players) might have to play PSO offline. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_razz.gif

Just my two cents, sorry if I offend anyone.