PDA

View Full Version : bastardizing american version anime

MasterJoel
May 11, 2003, 12:24 AM
god i hate that...

sailor uranus and neptune weren't cousins, they were lesbians! get it right!

i can't say enough with pokemon, as a pokemaniac myself...

and of course, gatchaman... you see, back in the late 70s, children's cartoons shouldn't be depressing or have that kind of violence. the worst i have seen was when the characters were trying to save some astronauts who were kidnapped... the bad guy in the japanese version: "even corpses are useful sometimes!"... and the american version? a cutscene that the heros say "we saved the astronauts! they're in sickbay!"

augh! feel free to add, or argue with me, lol.

IceBlink
May 11, 2003, 12:32 AM
Dragonball Z!

*during Nappa and Vegeta arc*

Nappa: *blows up squadrons of warships* Hahaa, look at the maggots swim! *in the Japanese version, they're all dead*

Yamcha: *watches Nappa blow up helicoptors and planes* It's okay! They have parachutes! *in Japanese version, they're DEAD DEAD DEAD*

Tenshinhan: *Nappa blows up his arm* You just wait till my arm grows back! *Tenshinhan is HUMAN, he can't grow arms back!*

XD so many... and don't forget HFIL... XD

Droxitr
May 11, 2003, 01:55 AM
Tenchi Muyo

Need I say more?

The thing was pretty... out there... in it's original form, and the Cartoon Network version basically rewrote the entire series (what's the plural of series? serieses?) to make it ok for daytime tv that kids might watch.

Atax
May 11, 2003, 04:19 AM
I ain't looking forward to what could happen with the english version of RockMan.EXE, seeing as WBKids is doing it and all...

LollipopLolita
May 11, 2003, 04:21 AM
On 2003-05-10 22:24, MasterJoel wrote:

sailor uranus and neptune weren't cousins, they were lesbians! get it right!

that's the one i hate the most. and they totally skipped over all the gay storylines and scenes with tuxedo mask's ex underlings.

and with card captor sakura, they totally made it pg. where's the lesbian and gay attraction there?

Ness
May 11, 2003, 08:51 AM
From DBZ

"They destroyed ande abandonned section of the city"

" I can see thier parachutes, they're okay"

IceBlink
May 11, 2003, 12:34 PM
On 2003-05-11 02:21, LollipopLolita wrote:
and with card captor sakura, they totally made it pg. where's the lesbian and gay attraction there?

You mean apart from that they tried to make Li the star of the show over Sakura (why?), changed relationships into friendships, changed almost every single name, erased all the implied incest... er... and lots of other stuff. ^_^;

I imagine a lot of people are upset with how America handled Escaflowne...

Ryo_Hayasa
May 11, 2003, 12:39 PM
thats american censorship for you (at this time i'm actually writing a report for school on censorship)
but really, can you see why they need to censor?
i mean ok i'm not DBZ fan but goku says "OH SHIT" a lot. now in japan "Shit" is like saying "shoot" or "darn"
how would you feel about 8 year old rammbling about how cool Goku is by saying "shit shit shit shit" kids are annoying as it is. they don't show all the blood and yaoi/yuri action for a reason. it's unknown right now, it's mostly angery moms saying "we don't want our childern homosexual" or "we don't want our childern fighting and trying this at home" don't say no ones stupid enough to do it, believe me, there are.
anime fans only have one choice buy the uncut, direct subbed tapes... eh.. and i'm against anime censorship actually, and personally, i like dubs for the most part, and Rockman Exe. (Megaman NT warrior (oh god, thats abad name)) has bad dubbed voices, BAD. one last thing, sonic X is comming to the US this summer, in the 2 episode Sonic says "Shit" how would you think of sonic then? *sighs* whatever...
but i've got to hand it too them, editing Tenchi, all those Hot Spring scenes, Salior moon, Cosins o.o; even though they don't look related. Yu Yu Hakasho, they edited for Adult Swim, then RE Edited from Toonami, CN is on the point of getting me upset and i've not had a problem with them cept...they show DB(Z) WAY too much..

Reenee
May 11, 2003, 12:47 PM
So, uh...

Whoever said these shows would be for the children's audience? It's in plain sight that these are for mature audiences.

It's not a matter of censorship. It's the matter of who you're supposed to show it to.

Lesbians...yuri... *wink* =3

s3rial_one
May 11, 2003, 12:55 PM
Lol...

Pokemon and Sailor Moon and that Dragonball shit are to anime what the Backstreet Boys were to music.

Take Dragonball, for instance... every episode breaks down to something like 8 minutes of commercials, 5 minutes of recap from the last episode, 10 minutes of talking about "power" levels, and 7 minutes of grunting, screaming, and "fighting" where each dumbass character progressively reveals his "true power," all in a glorious 9 frames of animation. They blow up a planet, and repeat the exact same fucking thing next week.

Dragonball couldn't be bastardized: it's complete and utter horse shit to begin with, designed for the sole purpose of making a bunch of ADD-crazed 13 year-olds placated for a few minutes.

Pokemon... I can't believe anyone would admit to liking that shit. It's aimed at freaking kindergartners.

*boggle*

Most of the "anime" that comes over to the states is bottom-of-the-barrel garbage to begin with. No plot, no unique ideas, and animation quality so shitty you'd think it was made in the US. Almost inevitably, the main character is some whiny angsty teenager that's 'really a good guy' and in desperate need of a beatdown; they play out like non-interactive Squaresoft games.

Anyone that wants to see real anime, do yourself a favor and pick up something like Mononoke Hime (Princess Mononoke in the US; the dubbed version is actually very well-done, with people like Billy Crudup, Claire Danes, Jillian Anderson and Billy-Bob Thornton doing the voices), Blue Submarine No.6, Cowboy Bebop, or some of the original Tenchi Muyo movies (like In Love).

Compare that to the tripe they show on TV, here...

Orange_Coconut
May 11, 2003, 12:58 PM
Actually I've seen Princess Mononoke, I loved that movie... Oh yeah! My friend lent me Spirited away and I still haven't seen it! >_<

War_Child
May 11, 2003, 01:02 PM
I don't want to see what they'll do to Eva T_T

Reenee
May 11, 2003, 01:08 PM
On 2003-05-11 10:55, s3rial_one wrote:

Take Dragonball, for instance... every episode breaks down to something like 8 minutes of commercials, 5 minutes of recap from the last episode, 10 minutes of talking about "power" levels, and 7 minutes of grunting, screaming, and "fighting" where each dumbass character progressively reveals his "true power," all in a glorious 9 frames of animation. They blow up a planet, and repeat the exact same fucking thing next week.

Dragonball couldn't be bastardized: it's complete and utter horse shit to begin with, designed for the sole purpose of making a bunch of ADD-crazed 13 year-olds placated for a few minutes.

BLESS YOU, SIR!! That's Dragonball in a pinch! You recieve my kudos!

I agree. I watch some nifty anime: Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Inuyasha...I wish they bring back Gundam Wing...

Droxitr
May 11, 2003, 01:13 PM
I have yet to see an un-dubbed episode of Cowboy Bebop (I know, pity me http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_cry.gif), but I understand it is one of the least screwed-with anime.

At least, that's what I get from the internet. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Some of the editing is downright stupid though... you can tell if a swimsuit is drawn on a nude character if it doesn't have a black line around it. Usually the case. The over-use of female characters being called "witch" in circumstances where it doesn't make sense implies something else.

Please, greedy tv CEO's, get it through your thick heads that not all animation is for children, and stop repackaging it as such.

I'm gonna go burn down Cartoon Network's headquarters. Anyone wanna come with?

Orange_Coconut
May 11, 2003, 01:15 PM
Hehe, I remember when my friend showed me DBZ they said something like "YOU BIG MEANIE!"... That was the first and last time I would ever watch that show willingly...

Reenee
May 11, 2003, 01:25 PM
I'm gonna go burn down Cartoon Network's headquarters. Anyone wanna come with?

As long as they make the Adult Swim a seperate channel and not screw around with the animes.

IceBlink
May 11, 2003, 02:08 PM
Something's gotta be right with Dragonball, considering how many volumes and episodes and money it generated... to think that Toriyama wanted to end the series after Freeza (where Gokou would 'die' with no way to resurrect him, and thus, ends the series... quite dramatic). However, due to fans writing in, Toriyama was forced to up the series past the androids, past Cell, and finally through all the variations of Majin Buu, which was when he was finally allowed to end his Frankenstein's Monster. XD

LollipopLolita
May 11, 2003, 02:35 PM
have you guys heard kiki's delivery service's cat's voice in the american dubbed one? that was just...

Alielle
May 11, 2003, 04:01 PM
On 2003-05-11 12:35, LollipopLolita wrote:
have you guys heard kiki's delivery service's cat's voice in the american dubbed one? that was just...

Phil Hartman?

Droxitr
May 11, 2003, 06:23 PM
On 2003-05-11 12:08, IceBlink wrote:
Something's gotta be right with Dragonball, considering how many volumes and episodes and money it generated... to think that Toriyama wanted to end the series after Freeza (where Gokou would 'die' with no way to resurrect him, and thus, ends the series... quite dramatic). However, due to fans writing in, Toriyama was forced to up the series past the androids, past Cell, and finally through all the variations of Majin Buu, which was when he was finally allowed to end his Frankenstein's Monster. XD

That's a new one on me. So the entire thing past Freiza is Toriyama being a slave to his fans? Sad, sad. BTW, everyone, Dragonball and DBZ are two different things. Dragonball is nowhere near the load of epilepsy-inducing pile of crap that DBZ is.

Anyway, I think he shouldn't have messed with it. Screw the fans, if it ends, it ends. Don't like it? Write your own manga and turn it into an anime. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

IceBlink
May 11, 2003, 07:33 PM
Talking about manga (books as opposed to anime, which is animated). In Japan, "Dragonball Z" doesn't exist manga-wise barring the movie books which are released. ALL of Dragonball is... Dragonball. Right down to the Cell games to Majin Buu saga. o_o

Anime, Dragonball Z exists.

Regardless, it made him a much richer person than he is today! XD

FinalMasterM
May 11, 2003, 08:05 PM
On 2003-05-11 11:02, War_Child wrote:

**Contains Spoilers for NGE**

Cartoon Network aired the first 2 episodes of NGE not to long ago for their "Big Robot Week". Both episodes were edited edits of the dub'd DVDs, cutting out a bit of the fan service and language. Including the part where Shinji runs out of the bathroom naked (nothing bad was shown in original Japanese version, his privates were just covered up with a bit of humor), cutting the intro of Pen-Pen.

FinalMasterM
May 11, 2003, 08:11 PM
On 2003-05-11 12:08, IceBlink wrote:

Thus GT is born, out of fan-dom. But Toriyama just "watched" over the series as it was made, he didn't do anymore than give his "ok" on plots and such. GT is actually MORE adventure based, but quickly turns back into a brawl. GT goes back to where Toriyama wanted it to be "Travelers seeking out treasure to meet a goal" but that's "boring" to all the fans of the fist-to-fist action.

KodiaX987
May 12, 2003, 07:19 AM
That NGE scene was the best EVAH! Especially since his privates were hidden behind a box of... Toothpicks.

Deathscythealpha
May 12, 2003, 03:40 PM
On 2003-05-11 18:05, FinalMasterM wrote:

On 2003-05-11 11:02, War_Child wrote:

**Contains Spoilers for NGE**

Cartoon Network aired the first 2 episodes of NGE not to long ago for their "Big Robot Week". Both episodes were edited edits of the dub'd DVDs, cutting out a bit of the fan service and language. Including the part where Shinji runs out of the bathroom naked (nothing bad was shown in original Japanese version, his privates were just covered up with a bit of humor), cutting the intro of Pen-Pen.

* eh, spoilers too *
Great, editing Evangelion, there going to have a hell of a time doing that in the later episodes. 'Magma Diver' is going to loose alot of content (thermal expansion anyone?) and i dont know how they will go around Kowaru (that how you spell it?) feelings for Shinji. Then they got the end of that episode where Misato and Kaji are getting it on and some of the wierd bits in the last two episodes. Im so glad Sci-Fi channel over got the rights to show it rather then CN.

For alot of animes that are shown over here im not too bothered how much they change myself as its probably the only thing were going to get for awhile. I think its lame when they choose obviously more adult orientated series (ie. Tenchi) to be shown as a kids show though. I swear TV excutives see an anime and think its just going to be like Pokemon and by the rights to it straight away.

One thing that did bother me about amercainised anime is where the TV Edit of Gundam Wing replaced the word Kill with Destroy, i just didnt see the point of it i dont think kids are going to be too traumatised by the word Kill, they here all the time on other programs anyway.

Nawms
May 12, 2003, 03:46 PM
Anyone say Yu-Gi-Oh. It a very dumb, poorly written, piece of crap that was made to make the cards a big hit. Ya right

Mechashadow
May 13, 2003, 07:39 PM
AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!

Mechashadow
May 13, 2003, 07:44 PM
Lol...

Pokemon and Sailor Moon and that Dragonball shit are to anime what the Backstreet Boys were to music.

Pokemon... I can't believe anyone would admit to liking that shit. It's aimed at freaking kindergartners.

*boggle*

Most of the "anime" that comes over to the states is bottom-of-the-barrel garbage to begin with. No plot, no unique ideas, and animation quality so shitty you'd think it was made in the US. Almost inevitably, the main character is some whiny angsty teenager that's 'really a good guy' and in desperate need of a beatdown; they play out like non-interactive Squaresoft games.

Anyone that wants to see real anime, do yourself a favor and pick up something like Mononoke Hime (Princess Mononoke in the US; the dubbed version is actually very well-done, with people like Billy Crudup, Claire Danes, Jillian Anderson and Billy-Bob Thornton doing the voices), Blue Submarine No.6, Cowboy Bebop, or some of the original Tenchi Muyo movies (like In Love).

Compare that to the tripe they show on TV, here...

I totally agree. Well said, well said...

Shattered_weasel
May 13, 2003, 08:12 PM
I agree with both sides of the situation. For 1 sometimes the editors go out of hand on some episodes and edit out to much (one episode of DBZ they edited out Gohan's tears..... comon what is that goin to do to children). But also i dont no anime charactor cussin or bein gay in front of my kids don't want them to become homo

Scrub
May 14, 2003, 06:44 PM
xD On one episode of DBZ, they edited a Beer Sign. They put 'Root' in front of it(as previously stated, this stuff is damn obvious.) Jesus christ. So a little kid sees Beer, they're not going to start going on a drinking rampage. I'm willing to bet more than half of the kids who watch DBZ also watch the 'Simpsons,' anyway.

..And yea, I watch the show regularly. Me and my friend Drew have since a few years back, and though I admit that it is a pile of steaming dogshit, I just always want to see what happens next.n_n

Shentar
May 19, 2003, 02:07 AM
On 2003-05-13 18:12, Shattered_weasel wrote:
But also i dont no anime charactor cussin or bein gay in front of my kids don't want them to become homo

And thus we have the "little Timmy" scenario. Parents complaining about a show being inappropriate for their kids, when they just shouldn't be letting their kids watch it in the first place.

Droxitr
May 19, 2003, 09:26 AM
On 2003-05-13 18:12, Shattered_weasel wrote:
I agree with both sides of the situation. For one, sometimes the editors go out of hand on some episodes and edit out too much (one episode of DBZ they edited out Gohan's tears..... come on, what is that going to do to children?). But I also don't any anime characters cussing or being gay in front of my kids don't want them to become homo.
(Droxitr: grammar and puncutation edits...)

People like you are why America's legal system is clogged up with cases like Old Retard Lady With Coffee vs. McDonalds. I can understand not wanting your children to watch... things that are questionable to you, but here's an idea:

Don't let them watch it.

If you have cable or satellite, you can very easily block channels or just shows with a certain rating.

"But I also don't any anime characters cussing or being gay in front of my kids don't want them to become homo."

For one, that's like saying. "My children should be able to watch the Adult channels, edit out the nudity." Not to mention your incredibly inflammatory remark about homosexuals. As if watching anime would make your children gay.

If you believe that, then I believe you have some serious homophobia going on.

FinalMasterM
May 19, 2003, 10:18 AM
I see more voilance in Looney Tunes, sometimes, then Anime on TV. Bugs Bunny cross-dressing, being shot at, handing TNT to someone so they blow up. It's all fine there, but if a evil villian blows-up a building, then no one dies cuz it's a "sunday".

Reenee
May 19, 2003, 11:15 AM
On 2003-05-19 08:18, FinalMasterM wrote:
Bugs Bunny cross-dressing...

Survival, man. Not pleasure!

AidaKensuke
May 19, 2003, 04:46 PM
Looney Tunes. A rabbit and/or duck, bird even human tormented by monsters, explosions, fights, sinister madmen abducting stereotype females and tying them, car accidents, war propaganda, war, tax evasion, cannibalism, animal maulings, death penalty scenes, impersonation of an officer of the law, racism, slanderizing Government officials, gunshot wounds that leak water, guns to begin with, said crossdressing with slight homosexual-beastality contact between a bipedal mutant rabbit, pain, agonizing torture, occational suicide, misfires of poor quality items of death, slapstick humor, and more.

Anime. All pure sweetness. Most of above, yet with a point, with taste, with tact, with a reason. Not to mention the planning involved to make a story progress further. Mature themes that go with the real work (ie. Guy gets shot. Dead! Someone falls in love...BOOM! The plot thickens.) Compared to LT and its day to day tasteless, pointless blah...ness...ness. (ie. Guy gets shot. Everyone laughs as he drinks water and becomes a stylish watering can. Someone falls in love...BOOM! Rabbit/Human hybrid baby concieved.)

Really, its all up to the parents to stop being so damn lazy and teaching their kids beforehand what is right and what is wrong before they get old enough to watch more mature things, instead of sending them to camp where they learn that the reason they are a smidge overweight was because California exported all the Oreos into the neighboring states...or something. Yeah..parents..keep sipping that damn Starbucks!

Okay. XD I think I am done ranting.

-Josh

Drakuun
May 21, 2003, 02:20 AM
I could post, but after the last page and a half it'd be nothing more than alternate compliments and the verbal equivalent of a flamethrower being sprayed at various individuals (.. including some of those I'd compliment, given a few things even they have said). All I can say is, look at what you're posting before you post it. There's some serious hypocrisy going on and I doubt some of you realize it.

KodiaX987
May 21, 2003, 09:26 AM
Edited Anime. Brought to you by the Christian Mothers Against Evilness.

Crap.

Vitamin_D
May 22, 2003, 10:18 AM
Most don't realize it...but Toonami's Rurouni Kenshin is very edited. The worst example...when someone is slashed, there's no blood and they end up on the ground moaning like they're only hurt. (Guess what kids! They're dead!) And any other Kenshin fan is probably just as disgusted as I am about how Aoshi's (Or "leader" WTF...) crew got shot up. And also how Jine "killed himself". In it's current form, it's nothing less than garbage. And then you got the kids who watch it and think they know EVERYTHING about it. (That doesn't JUST go for Kenshin, but every other Anime that's been horribly altered.) Put it on Toonami, and it's edit central. There's NO WAY they can accurately finish the series in its current form. *SPOLIER* (There's a story Arc involving a lot of Christians being killed because of their belief...try pulling that one off Toonami! People being killed AND religion, what a dilemma! There's also a character who murders his whole family because they were trying to kill him. Now tell me, how is THAT gonna work out? And those are just 2 examples of how inaccurate Kenshin will be, there are much more...)*END SPOLIER* GAAAAAH! I hate you Cartoon Network...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Vitamin_D on 2003-05-22 08:21 ]</font>