PDA

View Full Version : YAY FOR FSOD!!! (??)

Vanango
May 17, 2003, 08:28 AM
This is possibly the dumbest post ever.

Disclaimer aside, we pretty much all know how much FSOD sux0rz. It sucks for the FSODed as well everyone that has to hear them whine and insist they deserve free items.

FSOD is a "swift kick in the balls" as a friend once graphically described. Though I can't really disagree, my non-existant balls have never been kicked. Graphics aside (light pun?) FSOD sometimes knocks you back in reality. We realize a few things... (has anyone noticed how much I <3 lists?)

1. The initial reaction is just shock and maybe fear... remember the FIRST time that happened? For some they expected it, for others... they were showing off all their best items in trade.
2. Next, anger ensues. Yep, rage, sometimes swearing, kicking, throwing the gamecube across the room... all those hours building that lvl 178 mag gone. Blip. Or how hard you worked for the duped BkB...
3. This is followed by just sadness,
4. and resentment,
5. and a nasty letter to Sonic Team
6. After you post in PSOW... and rant to all your friends

***note, results my vary***

Yep, it's a kick in the head or 6 moles of HydroChloricAcid within a foot of you. *shudder*

It's a reality check.

Has anyone after an FSOD actually realize it was for the best? Obviously if you quit PSO and now you're out experiencing "real life" or just addicted to a new game... chances are you don't visit the forum anymore...

But for me, 5 days after a big FSOD (boo hoo) I stopped playing and I started up again and I'm having more fun playing. Not playing it for a bit made me realize what parts of the game are just great. Yea, I'm at the point where I can play solo, but what's the fun in that? It just made me appreciate other aspects of the game, even though I lost one of my favorite weapons.

Yea, it *is* just a game... and there's always the "if only I spend this much time..." on work? On school? with my-significant-other-that-feels-jealous-and-cheated-because-they-think-you-are-cheating-on-them-with-a-slutty-hunewearl-or-ramar... ??

I realize that I was taking the game too seriously and as FluxGryphon mentioned last night to me about how this game seems to stress us out.

Yea, and that's awful. It's Phantasy Star Online. SOmetimes it strikes too close to reality. Playing PS Online reminds me of all the ignorant and moronic people there are in the world, but finding great people with similar interests like I've found, even through the forums, like Pixelate, Lolita, or Reinaldo (just to name a few, don't hate me) makes me look forward to this game.

It's an escape from reality, or that's what it should be, but it's been parallel to everday life, not an outlet anymore. That's perhaps why some people have 18 characters, building and rebuilding them, discovering and rediscovering the magic and allure of the game orginally.

I should give speeches.

So, yay for FSOD, it's just a game. Remember. Breathe.

Okay, you can punch me now.

Raziel_Kai
May 17, 2003, 08:52 AM
You're amazingly right...
Here at work, during the night, I was pondering the same problems that the PSO addiction can give us.
Also, I was wondering that even if it gives us pointless and endless frustration (FSODs, corruptions, etc...) it also brings some wonderful moments.
Yesterday I was doing some Battle Mode with my friends, and though I am 50 levels above them, they still beat me time and time again... Not only that, but we had a great time just relaxing and enjoying ourselves.

After a lot of thought, I came to a realization: PSO is meant to give us fun and relief, not stress and grief.
<altough I am already losing my mind trying to find rares in Ult and not a single red box has appeared at all, but that's the way it is, ne? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif >

Vanango
May 17, 2003, 09:17 AM
I'm glad I'm not alone on this. If you're getting frustrated with PSO, take a break (but not too long, we'll miss you!) and come back http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

That's the plural you btw http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Vantamiath
May 17, 2003, 01:38 PM
What about the people who werent stressed out at level 178? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

polishedweasel
May 20, 2003, 11:34 AM
DUDE!! you corrupted??? I was wondering why I hadn't seen you online recently? Or maybe I'm just crazy. Sorry if you did. I WUB U!

ShieldDragon
May 20, 2003, 02:37 PM
PSO is, after all, meant to be enjoyable. I'm sorry it takes FSOD to make people realize that.

I thought you were enjoying yourself before the FSOD, though, Vanango?

LollipopLolita
May 20, 2003, 04:10 PM
On 2003-05-17 06:28, Vanango wrote:
1. The initial reaction is just shock and maybe fear... remember the FIRST time that happened? For some they expected it, for others... they were showing off all their best items in trade.
2. Next, anger ensues. Yep, rage, sometimes swearing, kicking, throwing the gamecube across the room... all those hours building that lvl 178 mag gone. Blip. Or how hard you worked for the duped BkB...
3. This is followed by just sadness,
4. and resentment,
5. and a nasty letter to Sonic Team
6. After you post in PSOW... and rant to all your friends

you forget part of step 6

post your rant in the wrong forum just so the mods can move it to rants!!! it's always such a joy for us!

anyhow, i've actually gotten my mem card corrupted twice. ehh so what, play on when i feel like it, don't play when i don't like it.

if not i can always go kill off balrons on ultima online

vanango needs to play uo, and then i can run around and follow her around!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LollipopLolita on 2003-05-20 14:11 ]</font>