PDA

View Full Version : XBox: Nintendo, get it sorted

Cyber_Punk
May 30, 2003, 08:25 AM
Man, Nintey hav really fuked up on the UK side of things.
1. The BB adaptor is fairly difficult to get, in most cases u hav 2 order it.
2. Next, if you do get the BB adaptor, u hav 2 make sure that your ADSL modem has an ether net out port, which two of the most common modems (BT voyager, Speedtouch) do not hav these ports, resulting in having zero compatability with the BB adaptor.
3. Finally, I could lower myself to dial up modem................... NO THANKS!!
I hope they get things sorted for us UK cube owners. Its turning into an utter farce.

BrokenHope
May 30, 2003, 08:30 AM
On 2003-05-30 06:25, Cyber_Punk wrote:
2. Next, if you do get the BB adaptor, u hav 2 make sure that your ADSL modem has an ether net out port, which two of the most common modems (BT voyager, Speedtouch) do not hav these ports, resulting in having zero compatability with the BB adaptor.
3. Finally, I could lower myself to dial up modem................... NO THANKS!!
I hope they get things sorted for us UK cube owners. Its turning into an utter farce.

USB was never designed for networking ethernet was, if you want to blame anyone, blame the people who make the modems.

saffaya
May 30, 2003, 08:33 AM
your #2 point is not valid.
Any broadband device (DC+BBA, GC+BBA, Xbox) need an ethernet port to connect to.
Mainstream ADSL modems only have a USB port because most users will just connect it to their PC.
That's why Ethernet ADSL modems are better, not to mention more stable than USB ones.

Do you have a PC ? if so, you can buy a network interface card, and connect your console with it.
Your PC will act as gateway using your USB ADSL modem.

Cyber_Punk
May 30, 2003, 08:37 AM
What I am basically sayin is that, I hav 2 go out of my way in order to play PSO with a BB connection on the cube, pay more money 4 stuff. Xbox u don't PC, u don't. If could jus buy the GC BB adaptor I wud be happy. But, we aint in an Ideal World

Jack
May 30, 2003, 09:09 AM
What exactly are you trying to say? Xbox has no difference with GC or PS2 in terms of linking to broadband internet - either way, you still need an Ethernet compatible device.

Cyber_Punk
May 30, 2003, 09:24 AM
If I wanted 2 play on PC, buy PSO. If I wanted 2 play on XBOX, buy PSO, and XBOX live. If I wanted to play on GC, buy PSO, BB adaptor, and as is the case with most UK BB owners, get a new modem, due to the fact the most common ADSL modems in the UK have no ether net ports, therfore, I will have 2 spend more money on gettin the GC hooked up 2 BB internet, than with PC and XBOX. That is what I am tryin 2 say.

gallaugher
May 30, 2003, 09:42 AM
On 2003-05-30 06:37, Cyber_Punk wrote:
What I am basically sayin is that, I hav 2 go out of my way in order to play PSO with a BB connection on the cube, pay more money 4 stuff. Xbox u don't PC, u don't. If could jus buy the GC BB adaptor I wud be happy. But, we aint in an Ideal World

I guess you didn't frequent these boards when pso came out in the US. Basically, we had it worse than you do now. To get a keyboard you had to pay around $100, pso itself was difficult to get if you didn't preorder & BBA's were almost impossible to get unless you preordered.
Do like someone suggested & add a network card to your PC & connect a crossover cable from it to your gamecube. Then use M'Soft internet connection sharing or other proxy type program (WinProxy, WinGate, WinRoute, etc). A lot of us had to go out of our way to play this game too.

saffaya
May 30, 2003, 09:48 AM
On 2003-05-30 07:24, Cyber_Punk wrote:
therfore, I will have 2 spend more money on gettin the GC hooked up 2 BB internet, than with PC and XBOX. That is what I am tryin 2 say.

How about reading what people are telling you ?
Go re-read my post twice.

Guntz348
May 30, 2003, 09:50 AM
Almost everyone who plays pso had to shell out quite a bit. I bought a GC just to play the game, then had to get a keyboard. I lucked out on the BBA, funco had one instock like a few days before the game came out so I grabbed it. But the keyboard was a pain and expensive. Then it turned out there was a bug in PPPoE DSL on the US disc. When ever the game felt like it, it would disconnect, then freeze when it attempted to save. So I had to go out and buy a router, which fixed the problem. Your best shot though, would be to just get a cheap router that has the connection types you need. Most computer stores sell the cheap ones for around 40 or 50 dollars US, I'm sure you can find one where you live for around the same price.

Cyber_Punk
May 30, 2003, 10:12 AM
Is the PC version of PSO out in America or UK>??

phasma
May 30, 2003, 10:22 AM
AAAAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAA!!! I just noticed you put "MR" under your title heading.... nice one

Face it bud, Nintendo aren't gonna change things UK side this far on.. Get over it and enjoy the game for all it is, and not bitch about it for the little things it isn't.

gallaugher
May 30, 2003, 10:28 AM
On 2003-05-30 08:12, Cyber_Punk wrote:
Is the PC version of PSO out in America or UK>??

I'm not sure where you're going with this. The PC version of PSO was released in Japan over a year & a half back. It was never released in the US or UK. It will never be released in the US or the UK. I have it & stopped playing over 6 months ago. It's dead, totally dead.
You could probably still import it though

Muku6
May 30, 2003, 10:53 AM
On 2003-05-30 06:25, Cyber_Punk wrote:

The United Kingdom doesn't have it any worse than the United States does, as has been mentioned. Anyone getting into PSO is going to have to shell out a decent amount of money, but if your addicted then it's worth it. [Digitized drugs? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif ]

1. Wow, so it was here too. At least you have the OPTION of ordering it. When it came out here in what, October?, it was harder than heck to find. It didn't get easier as the holidays approached and there were people, I swear, that lived in stores to get the next stores shipment of like 2 BBAs. [Okay, some exageration, but it felt like it.]

A lot of people were told to order, then watched their shipment dates get pushed back, and further back still. While others went to their local video game retailers and was only told they'd get in a few, while some did, some didn't. Frustrating both consumer and retailer.

2. A lot of ASDL modems have USB ports now because they are strictly connected to PCs. USB ports are also faster. And instead of blaming Nintendo, blame the makers of ASDL modems, Nintendo has nothing to do with how they make the modems and what ports they use on them. You could try to get one of the following:
(1) Get modem with ethernet ports.
(2) Buy a router - this will be easier than #1. You can find routers at around $40 or $50 USD - can probably find one around that price in the UK.
(3) Get another network card and a crossover cable and do it that way.

3. Why bring up Dial-Up if your not willing to do it? Plus IT IS another option if you're desperate. Heck, I started out on it until I got the money for some long ethernet wire and enough for a router. Sometimes its easier to start on something with less money to invest, but I think broadband saves you money over time.

Cyber_Punk
May 30, 2003, 11:06 AM
Do I need sum kind of software to feed the cube through the comp??? (I already hav a network card and cable, beacuse I am a Lan Junky).

gallaugher
May 30, 2003, 11:21 AM
On 2003-05-30 09:06, Cyber_Punk wrote:
Do I need sum kind of software to feed the cube through the comp??? (I already hav a network card and cable, beacuse I am a Lan Junky).

*clears throat* Yes, use Microsoft Internet Connection sharing. It is built into Win98SE/ME/2000/XP. Or, purchase a software program that does the same thing. Programs like WinProxy, WinGate & WinRoute should do the trick. You should be able to try them before you have to purchase them too. I hope this helps.

faceless
May 30, 2003, 11:45 AM
wow, some guy has a magical xbox with usb ports that work with usb dsl/cable modems!?!?!!?

Cyber_Punk
May 30, 2003, 12:36 PM
Thanks 4 the info, but I think Im gonna go with the XBOX version, 4 the convenience factor, also, thinking about it, I neva did go on american/jp server when I had the DC version of the game

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: IceBlink on 2003-05-30 10:44 ]</font>

Starman
May 30, 2003, 03:24 PM
On 2003-05-30 08:53, Muku6 wrote:

2. A lot of ASDL modems have USB ports now because they are strictly connected to PCs. USB ports are also faster.

lol you think USB ports are faster than a 10/100 nic card.