PDA

View Full Version : Backing up by e-mail?!?

Naylor007
Feb 17, 2001, 06:49 AM
Maybe I'm thick brained or something but could someone explain in detail the process involved in backing up a character by e-mail??

Spy
Feb 17, 2001, 06:51 AM
I don't get how to either...

thx

KarnaJ
Feb 17, 2001, 07:12 AM
Sure, I'll give it a try, it works fine for me. Ok, you need version 2.0 of the webbrowser, unless you have a REALLY old dc like me it most likely came with your dreamcast. I hear there's problems with 2.6, so I don't use it, and won't be held responsible if this doesn't work on 2.6.

Next, you need a POP3 email account, usually your isp gives you one. You'll need the servers for it too. You can't use a web-based email, such as Hotmail or Yahoo!mail, as they don't have a pop3 server, and cannot be checked by the dreamcast's internal email client.

K, boot the web browser and go into options, set up your email address settings, like user and password. Real name can be anything. If you don't know your mail servers for sure, it's a pretty good chance that it's just "mail.xxx.com" Like my email is ****@ccp.com, and my smtp and pop3 servers are both mail.ccp.com. If you have ones given to you by your isp that are different, enter them.

Save the options, and connect to the internet. Hit start and go to your mail. Make a new message, directed at your email address. Click add attachments, and pick your vmu with the pso save. Attach both pso-related saves, one's your guildcard file and the other is your system file.

Now, if you'll go to a webpage, then go back to mail, you'll notice you have a new message with your character. That's fine, your character is now stored on your mail server, feel free to play without worry about the BSOD.

Now, suppose you loose all your unequipped items due to the bsod. In order for you to restore your backup, you either need a vmu without a pso file on it, or you need to delete your old pso file, if you try to overwrite it, it WILL say it's corrupted. Just open the email, click on attachments at the bottem, and pick both files, saving them both to whatever vmu it is you wanna restore em to. *CAN'T HAVE PSO INFO ON IT* Just wanted to stress that again, in case you weren't paying attention, lol.

I've used this method to migrate my save from a generic memory card to my new vmu, a friends file off of my other vmu to the generic memory card, and to backup my character 3 times now, though I haven't had to restore it yet, thankfully. If this wasn't clear enough just say what needs to be cleared up. Someone wanna post this on the site somewhere as how to backup your character? Or is there already info on this site about it and I just typed this all for naught?

<font size=1>[ This message was edited by: KarnaJ on 2001-02-17 07:16 ]</font>

Spy
Feb 17, 2001, 07:42 AM
What's hotmails POP3 information plz?

Naylor007
Feb 17, 2001, 07:47 AM
Whether you typed it all for naught or not is irrelevant. The information you provided was very helpful, thank you.

KarnaJ
Feb 17, 2001, 10:14 AM
Can't use hotmail, or any webmail, it has to be something you can check in outlook express, eudora, etc. I swear I put that in there, the no-sleep-demon must've ate it... *goes back to edit post*

Vanse
Feb 17, 2001, 02:01 PM
so is there anyway to get this fine 2.0 browser? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_smile.gif i have the ancient browser that came with the first batch of DC's and it doesn't even have an add attachments option hehe

ziggi
Feb 17, 2001, 02:42 PM
About the POP3 e-mail, you can get a free POP3 e-mail (forwarding) account at Phantasy Star Cave.
For instance, if your current e-mail is:
[email protected]
then your new mail can be:
[email protected]

All mails that will be send to [email protected] will be forwarded to [email protected] ...

Hope this helps:
Phantasy Star Cave (http://www.pscave.da.ru)!

KarnaJ
Feb 17, 2001, 06:21 PM
No, forwarding won't help, because you still can't check the email from the dreamcast's email client. It forwards it to, say hotmail.com, and you're right back to if you just used hotmail in the first place.

Arcadean
Feb 17, 2001, 06:32 PM
I have 1.0 doh!

KarnaJ
Feb 17, 2001, 06:46 PM
Try 1.0, I don't have mine handy to see if there's an attach button, but it SHOULD work ok too.

Naylor007
Feb 17, 2001, 09:10 PM
OK so here's another question. I have 2 characters, but only one guild card file, is that normal??

KarnaJ
Feb 17, 2001, 10:11 PM
If your second character was created with your first character's memory card in as well, then yes, that's normal. They share a guild card I believe.

onexero
Feb 18, 2001, 12:05 AM
I don't have the 2.0 browser either, just 2.6. I've sent the pso data to a hotmail acct and it just shows up as a .doc file.

Couple questions: could somebody post a 2.0 browser image, or where i can find it? Also how does one set up the DC mail server stuff if you're using the BBA?

Ambrai
Feb 18, 2001, 03:47 AM
I have the 2.0 CD and some web space that I can host it at but I dont see any files on the CD for me to copy =/. If you can give me a way to copy this CD I will do so.

Also, isnt there a way to get the new browser from Sega? Or has their cust service gone to hell with their system?

Omegaxboy
Mar 4, 2001, 02:13 AM
yeah, I use BBA also.....is there a way to use that BBP Translated browser to send mails with attachment??? did anyone tried this???

Manny
Mar 4, 2001, 02:17 AM
Just to check that my save file isnt wacky but you cant send the file with the browser that is on the PSO disc (when u click homepage)

Manny
Mar 4, 2001, 02:25 AM
....and Ambrai i checked and i only saw the 2.6 browser. I think the Dreamcall messes up the serial #/ and access code. Luckily my friend has a 2.0.

GeneStarwind
Mar 4, 2001, 07:41 AM
I'm with Omegaxboy. I just tried setting up my BBP translated browser for email...input all my Road Runner settings and everything. When I tried attaching a VMU file and selected the appropriate VMU, I couldn't cycle through the VMU's files. It'd show the first file but wouldn't use the up/down arrows to show the rest. The other VMU acted like this, too, so I don't know what to think.

So I attach the PSO guild card file (my only option). Stupid browser says it "can't connect," although I can browse the web just fine. Starting to think the stupid browser isn't good for....well....much of anything, besides network settings.