PDA

View Full Version : The appearent obsession with hating the illegit

Nokturne
Mar 13, 2001, 03:56 PM
alright, more than anyplace, this one seems to have a fixation on hating anything thats duped/hacked/cheated or whatnot... understandably so, but there is no reason to be whiney about it.

As i've said before, i'm a mixture of legit and illegit http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_smile.gif i raise my character normally, i raise my mag normally... i use the correct items for my level (aka, i don't give my lower characters 100's of materials from my high one so i can use the way too good stuff), in other words, i play through the game legitly. But now i've hit the point where nothing is happening (aka, lvl 100 with nearly maxed stats). Whats left to do? Find rares of course, but i find those once a millenium... true to name. Thus, instead of wasting (yes wasting) 1000's of more hours looking for 1 pointless item that i just want to see... i turn to the much hated method of duping. Now I know most of the "cheaters" are this way, and there shouldn't be a problem with that... but oh no, the uptight old-school gamers wing has to come along and be pissed about it. To me, these people are worse than the cheaters themselves... they spend every second of the game just complaining about how cheating is bad and such, as if they're trying to drive you away from it, lol. a stupid society indeed. The game is all about playing together anyways... the weapons are more of an extra non-necessary reason to play more.

Ah, but then they ALWAYS bring up the fact that "cheaters" aren't real gamers and other such nonsense. Why's that? They're just wanting to see items that they'll more than likely never find... sounds to me as if they're the more "hardcore gamer" type, wanting to get as much out of the game as possible. Oh no, now i'm the devil, i've upset the legit-land... i must apologize http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_wink.gif

Now i understand there are tards out there that do the opposite... bringing in spread needles and other crap into a normal game or somethin similar stealing items, exp, and the fun right out of the game... but i myself haven't seen too many of those a-holes. I wish these disrespectful types a horrid death indeed (though i still hate the prissy legits more). But to say that every single cheater sucks for the fact that you've ran into one of these is quite retarded.

In conclusion, you seemingly jealous (shouldn't be, but you make it seem that way) old-school gaming militia types need to settle yourselves down and ACCEPT this side of the game... you don't have to take part in it, but its not satan or anything, and it shouldn't be ruining the game for you, cuz it doesn't for me. I myself somewhat hate cheaters too... but yet i take some part in it, so there's proof we can coexist http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_smile.gif

as you can tell, my ideas are always jumbled up and near incoherence, ... lol... but you get my point i hope. If i see somethin along the lines of "you suck", then i guess you didn't... sigh

Shala_
Mar 13, 2001, 04:01 PM
You suck.

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_wink.gif

-jk

Zero101
Mar 13, 2001, 04:27 PM
You have missed the point of why these "hardcore militia-type old school gamers" are so angry about cheaters.
Have you hung out in the lobby of a server recently? You can't get in a random PSO online game anymore without 5 people asking for a Sonic Mag, or a Lavis Cannon... as if these items were as common as an Autogun. The sad part is that these items ARE becoming that common because cheaters copy and pass them out so freely.
You argue that you dupe items just so you don't have to "waste" hundreds of hours looking for a certain item that you just feel like trying out. The point of rare items is that they are a reward for those who are willing to put the time in to find them... the cheaters have taken that reward away from us. It's not a matter of envy... I am not jealous of the items cheaters have. I am pissed that you have taken away the specialness of the weapons that I seek. Why should I make an effort to go after a set of Stag Cutlery, when any level 40 player can get a set with little too no effort?
Also, there is the issue of gameplay. The game simply is not challenging when every player on a team has a super-powerful weapon. If 4 people are blazing away with spread needles... where is the challenge? Where is the fun in that? When rare items are actually rare, you don't have to worry about everyone coming into a game with that much power.
If you think old-school gamers are angry... I think they have every right to be. Cheaters have taken an AMAZING and fun game, and cheapened the experience for us all.
But then again, this is all just my humble opinion.....

Socrates
Mar 13, 2001, 04:31 PM
I think you may be misunderstanding many of the 'anti-cheaters', Nokturne. What you are talking about that you do is a far cry from what most people are against.

You got to level 100 legitmately -- that's great. Once there, yeah, I can see how it might be too annoying to have to play for days and weeks just to find that next elusive rare.

And to be honest, once I got to that point, if I had a GS, i'd also crack open the codes to look at stuff.

But, and here's the kicker, it would be just for informational value. I'm the kind of guy who used to take his radios apart when I was a kid, just to see what was in there. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_smile.gif

I'm as curious as the next guy/girl, and so yeah, I'd check each weapon out, mainly what it looks like, etc. But I would never, EVER, under any circumstances, bring them online, trade them, give them away, or even just use them or brandish them about. When you do that, you affect other people's games as well.

It's the people that do that sort of stuff that most of the folks here disapprove of.

"Now i understand there are tards out there that do the opposite... bringing in spread needles and other crap into a normal game or somethin similar stealing items, exp, and the fun right out of the game... but i myself haven't seen too many of those a-holes."

Consider yourself lucky.

Neojin
Mar 13, 2001, 04:36 PM
In conclusion, you seemingly jealous (shouldn't be, but you make it seem that way) old-school gaming militia types need to settle yourselves down and ACCEPT this side of the game... you don't have to take part in it, but its not satan or anything, and it shouldn't be ruining the game for you, cuz it doesn't for me. I myself somewhat hate cheaters too... but yet i take some part in it, so there's proof we can coexist http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_smile.gif

Well i'm at lunch, so I woule like to address a few inconsistant things in your statement.

One, you saying that "old-school gaming militia types " are jealous of cheaters and what they have is absurd. Why? Because they as easily as the cheaters could buy an Xploder and do the codes themselves. But they dont, because they have a set of morals and standards they play games by. Its called self restraint and most people who use Cheat Codes do not have it. They are so happy to know they can at anytime have all the money, levels and weapons they want, its a power trip for them to cheat.

Two, they DO NOT have to accept this side of the game, why? Because I like most others thought PSO would be free from the cheats and hacks with the registering of the Serial Number, in the end however the only thing this has prevented is the selling of entire characters.

Third and final, this argument about it not effecting the entire player base is utter and extreme nonsense. Why? Think of how new and exciting this game would still be without cheats, honestly. When someone posted "Hey I found Sonic Knuckles" We would be truley honored and surprised to meet someone with them. As it is now, when we see a rare the first thing we assume is its a dupe, hell sometimes even if its a friend. I mean look at all the level 100s who now complain because its nothing to be proud of now, and all the people who want to stay 99 so people dont think they are hacks.

Cheaters say it adds a new level of fun to the game, but how? How can having maxed stats all the weapons and a 999 MAG be fun, you can solo Dark Falz at level 1 for crying out loud, where the fun in that?

You say there is an obsession with hating the illegit...The same can be said that there is An Obsession with Cheating...I know plenty of people who will not play a game if they know they can not cheat.

I salute all those who know the "true" way to play games and who have EARNED where they are today, not only in PSO but in Life in general.