PDA

View Full Version : Sexism

Vanango
Jun 23, 2003, 02:37 AM
okay so broad topic made into my rant.

There is tons of gender topics that piss me off but I won't go into tonight.

Specifically what bugs me is how I am treated by both men and women of all ages because I am a girl.

Now for me to explain.

I work at an Electronics Retail Store and it is very customer service oriented, which is fine. There are always tons of questions and as Sales Associates we are there to assist people with questions.

Here are a few scenerios that have happened to me in the past week.

1. A lady walks towards me and I ask her if she needs help, she hesitates and says no and two feet behind me she asks a guy a question that I ended up having to answer anyways.
2. Two guys were looking at video games and so I asked them if I could help them or if they had any questions, one answered with "Pfth, Like you know stuff about games?" and they both started laughing and then said "No" very curtly and walked away.
3. An old man walked up to me to ask me if I could find someone that knew anything about Game Boy Advance (SP) and when I explained that I could answer his question he literally winced after "examining" at me and said "No thanks" and later I saw him ask someone else.

I wasn't hired just for the hell of it. I know about the products and how things work. The customers that do give me a chance have almost all told me how helpful I have been and all my co-workers are impressed with my knowledge -- and not just because I'm a girl.

I still love the job and it's great explaining to people how things work and knowing they understand, even if they don't buy something. It's just frustrating when I am treated differently because I'm a girl.

I realize there are other possible variables that I'm not taking into account such as being a Minority or possibly my body language.

On an tangent though there are video game kiosks set up that have preview discs that loop and for x-box PSO has a spot and everytime the music plays I turn my head http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

phasma
Jun 23, 2003, 03:06 AM
i guess this thread just goes to prove that there are more girls that play PSO, and indeed loads of good games, that most people think....

hahahaha plus it's really cool to see someone who's got a job they truly enjoy

*fills in application form to become a woman*

mmmmm http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Ness
Jun 23, 2003, 05:44 AM
*feels sorry for Vanango

If it makes you feel better, whenever I find out where you work, I will ask you for help even thoguh I probably won't need it.

Also I thought you were guy all this time.

Saladwood
Jun 23, 2003, 06:05 AM
Solution: Dress, and look like a guy when you work.

Daikarin
Jun 23, 2003, 06:23 AM
On 2003-06-23 03:44, Ness wrote:
Also I thought you were guy all this time.

Ditto ._.

Don't worry about it. If someone starts judging you by looking at yourself it's their loss, their stupidity.

Intimidacius
Jun 23, 2003, 12:20 PM
Intimidacius, too, has been the victim of such behavior. Here is how he found how to best deal with it. Plant trip wires throughout the store while no one is looking. Pretty soon people will start blaming the guys, just play up the being a girl thing and they won't suspect a thing. First the electronics store, then the ... then the entire mall.
[quote]Intimidacius' got no strings to hold him down...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Intimidacius on 2003-06-23 10:21 ]</font>

ShieldDragon
Jun 23, 2003, 12:38 PM
Here's a Q for ya:

What game would you recommend for someone who plays Frequency, Rez, and Amplitude?

On Topic:
Some people just don't understand that there ARE females out there who are into video games and the like. Maybe it's still seen as something guys do by the majority of America.

Reenee
Jun 23, 2003, 02:11 PM
On 2003-06-23 00:37, Vanango wrote:
1. A lady walks towards me and I ask her if she needs help, she hesitates and says no and two feet behind me she asks a guy a question that I ended up having to answer anyways.

Doesn't sound sexist. Sure was stupid.

2. Two guys were looking at video games and so I asked them if I could help them or if they had any questions, one answered with "Pfth, Like you know stuff about games?" and they both started laughing and then said "No" very curtly and walked away.

I should've been there and raised my voice. "If she's working in a GAME store, then obviously she knows SOME things, right? Pretty frickin' obvious you're using your *other* head to think, where there's no brain, right?" http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

I'd also like to point out one other thing: people who work in video game stores, like Vanago here, are very friendly AND chatty. I don't see any reason for you from stopping you to inquire what the hell those two losers knew anyways. Of course they'd know some things you probably wouldn't care about at all. Why? We have different tastes in games. Duh, it's logic.

3. An old man walked up to me to ask me if I could find someone that knew anything about Game Boy Advance (SP) and when I explained that I could answer his question he literally winced after "examining" at me and said "No thanks" and later I saw him ask someone else.

I think the geezer still thinks he's in the 1950's or 70's.

I feel bad for you. One day I was at a Funcoland, and a guy was trying to help out this obnoxiously loud, fat, profane..."lady". I mean, this "mother" told her kids to shut your f-ing mouths up when they wanted this game (straight on deserves her kids taken away from her). He made the honest mistake of putting in a Dreamcast disc in a PS1 because so many discs were laid out on the counter and you really couldn't see what you were going to pick up. He realizes his mistake and tells her and she just starts! God, I felt like telling her to quit making a big deal out of things, and that nobody's perfect. Everybody makes mistakes.

Vanago, I really think you should speak for yourself. You're obviously in a game store, and you must know some things about games, and when new stuff comes in, you have to know what they're about...sometimes.

LollipopLolita
Jun 23, 2003, 02:19 PM
It's just frustrating when I am treated differently because I'm a girl.

baby come over here and i'll treat you right

Stricker
Jun 23, 2003, 03:12 PM
I'm sorry about you vanango. I hope everything turns just fine. But I'm glad you still like your job. You are a strong girl.

Take care and dont give up!

Rey

ABDUR101
Jun 23, 2003, 05:38 PM
Sadly, the majority of people you come into contact with throughout the day are going to talk to someone they feel comfortable talking to.

For the lady that ignored you and asked a guy, no idea about that one, maybe she felt more comfortable playing stupid to a guy than a girl? I know people who do that. =

The old man, yeah, prolly just did'nt think much of it and is just basing it entirely on looks. Even though he himself surely did'nt know what the answer was.

The two guys, hah, no need to even go there, just easily associate them with testosterone idiots out to make themselves feel better. The kind of punks you'd just as easily backhand than talk to. They're all over around here, rather obnoxious little dips.

Overall, don't feel any akwardness or anything over any of it. There are still people who you help and they are very appreciative of it, thats all that matters. If afew people feel the need to go ask someone else, it's all the same(expecially since some times your co-workers have to come to you, yeah?). Thats sort of how you get your reputation built up. When people start seeing your co-workers going to you with questions, that makes you feel rather good, and eventually, the local customers will start going to you and most easily asking FOR you directly.

The local manager here years ago at the local Babbage's was always the one to goto with anything in the store, just because he knew what he was talking about and would'nt feed you a line of BS, and he was great to talk to, did'nt intimidate you, etc.

Just keep at it, don't let it gnaw at you too much, yeah?

Vantamiath
Jun 23, 2003, 07:58 PM
On 2003-06-23 12:19, LollipopLolita wrote:

baby come over here and i'll treat you right Vantamiath.

*waddles over* doo doo doo..

I've actually witnessed this happening when I shop at my local EB games. The manager is a woman, and whenever I come in there she's ignored by most male customers. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

I say most because not everyone is shallow..are they?

Every employee at EB games knows my name and who I am.

*Puts NERD sticker on forhead*

Vanango
Jun 23, 2003, 08:28 PM
I'm glad that PSOW people aren't so close-minded. I still like my job even if it means I have to work harder.

And in the end? I'm the one with the discount http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Mizu
Jun 23, 2003, 08:49 PM
I know how you feel, I'm a girl.

It pissed me off that when I was buying PSO, a guy that works in the store came up to me, and started to explain to me that it was the Xbox version of the game and how it was a remake from the DC version, how its RPG, and how you need Xbox Live as well. He then started up on how to connect the Xbox to the internet.

I was just ignoring him, for he being a Dickhead for saying all of those, I even kept myself from shouting "Dont you think I already know all of this?!?" Geez, I was just trying to buy a game.

LamerPanda
Jun 23, 2003, 09:01 PM
I'm a girl, and I usually don't really have this problem.

Why? Eh, various reasons, I suppose. I don't really strike up conversations in public; I just run in, buy a game, and leave. I don't think anyone around here really plays video games.

Online is another story. I've modded at a video game board for 3 years and most people assume I'm a guy when they first come there. When I tried playing online games, or things like Counter-Strike, everyone assumed I was a guy. I just ignored it because it doesn't really bother me.

If I was in your situation, though, I would be annoyed. =/

Shanris_1
Jun 23, 2003, 11:10 PM
I work in a games store, and yeah I'm a guy, but we have a girl who works with us there and I often have people bypassing her and waiting for me to become available to answer questions...I know how it is you feel but from the opposite end of things, she works with us because she knows computers and games. I think too many people have the misconception that computers and games are a guy thing.

Reenee
Jun 23, 2003, 11:42 PM
DAMN YOU, TESTOSTERONE!!!

o.o

Morfos
Jun 23, 2003, 11:46 PM
Why are men so sexist? Sexist people are idiots, simple as that.

Reenee
Jun 24, 2003, 12:04 AM
On 2003-06-23 21:46, Morfos wrote:
Why are men so sexist?

*AHEM*

Vanango
Jun 24, 2003, 03:03 AM
On 2003-06-23 22:04, Shapiro wrote:

Why are men so sexist?

*AHEM*

Too Funny.

Droxitr
Jun 24, 2003, 03:13 AM
On 2003-06-23 22:04, Shapiro wrote:

Why are men so sexist?

*AHEM*

HA!

Now that is just a slap-yourself-in-the-face-"gad did I actually post that?" kinda thing.

Thanks for the laugh, Morfos. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Reenee
Jun 24, 2003, 10:36 AM
IS THIS PERSON BLIND, OR DID THEY NOT CLEARLY SEE A FEW OF US GUYS SUPPORT THE POOR GIRL!?

Morfos: Just as annoying as the real Morfos. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif *looks away to evade attacks*

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shapiro on 2003-06-24 08:36 ]</font>

Ness
Jun 24, 2003, 12:19 PM
On 2003-06-23 18:49, Mizu wrote:

It pissed me off that when I was buying PSO, a guy that works in the store came up to me, and started to explain to me that it was the Xbox version of the game and how it was a remake from the DC version, how its RPG, and how you need Xbox Live as well. He then started up on how to connect the Xbox to the internet.

I was just ignoring him, for he being a Dickhead for saying all of those, I even kept myself from shouting "Dont you think I already know all of this?!?" Geez, I was just trying to buy a game.

I don't see what is so bad about that. He was just trying to help/ start up a conversation. If you already knew about all of that, just tell him that you did. It's no big deal, really.

brillyfresh
Jun 24, 2003, 03:30 PM
to Vanango, and the other females here on this forum, i personally wish i knew more girls IRL like you

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_shy.gif
http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/blush.gif
http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/love.gif
http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_kisses.gif
http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_kuddel.gif
http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_beer.gif

my girlfriend considers herself a "video game widow" ... i've been spending the past few weeks trying to find a game that my girlfriend and i will both enjoy playing ... so far all i can come up with is racing games, but i think Mario Party 4 would be another good one that she would like (she used to play Mario Kart all the time before i came along)

that really has me wondering: what is it about video games, and electronics in general, that most males are drawn to and most females steer away from?

Evangelon
Jun 24, 2003, 03:41 PM
What you need to do is take advantage of the situation. If no one wants your help, just sit around and get paid! Seriously though, people just have chips on their shoulders, and nothiing you do can change that. Sadly, thats the world we live in.

Ness
Jun 24, 2003, 04:35 PM
On 2003-06-24 13:41, Evangelon wrote:
What you need to do is take advantage of the situation. If no one wants your help, just sit around and get paid!

Hey, I would be all for that! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_sleep.gif

Mizu
Jun 24, 2003, 05:18 PM
On 2003-06-24 10:19, Ness wrote:

I don't see what is so bad about that. He was just trying to help/ start up a conversation. If you already knew about all of that, just tell him that you did. It's no big deal, really.

If he really really did want to make a conversation, he could've maybe start to talk about the famous subject of Xbox, Halo 2. I could've been happier. But really "This is the Xbox Version of Phantasy Star Online, ......" That was just horrible! It says Xbox right on top, where everyone could see that.

Reenee
Jun 24, 2003, 06:06 PM
Jebus, brillyfresh, that was a la--

It's just pathetic attempt of sucking up with smilies. Leave it at that.

Axispoint
Jun 24, 2003, 07:28 PM
I don't work at a videogames store (nope, I work at a nursing home...how boring), but there's this dude who works in housekeeping who runs around wearing a hat. I wore a ballcap for a very long time because it kept my hair out of my eyes (it used to frusterate me to no end getting that stuff in my eyes). Well, the day laundry lady bitches at me for wearing my hat, but says nothing to this guy (yes I'm a girl). I feel like I have every reason to be upset about it and I plan on confronting her about it tomorrow. I feel that I am being unfairly treated and I will find my way into the administrator's office there and we'll have a little chat about it.

Truth be told, I don't know how long I will be staying at that job anyway. I am not treated right, even by my own co-workers, the job I originally had is gone, which is why I was forced to work housekeeping, and I can guess that by next week our hours will be different again. And if this tells you about my job, my last boss came in her last day, waited for her paycheck to come in, then got in her truck, to leave and never come back, without a single word to those of us working that day. Yeah, it's a real wonderful job </sarcasm>.

Anyway, sorry for my rant, but I think I really needed to get that out http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif.

ABDUR101
Jun 24, 2003, 07:46 PM
Axis, what job did you have at the nursing home before you were made do housekeeping?

I rather like the nursing home atmosphere, where I work anyways. I work in therapy for the residents, which is rather enjoyable. It helps that the majority of the nursing staff have a great sense of humor.

It's a wonder they let anyone in housekeeping wear hats really, if you're inside it's customary around here to take your hat off(although visitors are allowed to keep theirs on).

I'd bring it up with the person who yelled at you for wearing a hat and point out the person who also had one on, and see what they say. If they say something to the effect that it's ok for that person but not you, thats when I'd take it up with the Administrator. Goodluck with it though.

Axispoint
Jun 24, 2003, 08:23 PM
I used to work in night laundry. I really liked it, too. Then I got stuck in housekeeping, which is really boring. I like all the residents and stuff, but half my co-workers in housekeeping/day laundry get on my nerves.

The only two reasons I like going to work now is A)if the one housekeeper is there that I like talking to or B)I like to pet one of the residents dogs (yep, they let one of 'em keep a dog there). Also, that guy in housekeeping is not the only one who wears a hat in the building...the maintainence dude wears one, too. Different department, but hey, same building.

I've actually been wanting to get on with dietary, specifically as a dish washer. Why? It's like my old job except I wash dishes instead of clothing. I need to remember to check on that place 'cos one of the dish washers put in her two week notice...hehehe.

But I do plan on talking to the admin if I keep getting attitude about this stuff. I'm far from having patience for this job anymore :-/. Thanks for the good luck, though. I can imagine I'm really going to need it.

Vanango
Jun 24, 2003, 08:46 PM
I just got home from work, a guy came into the store and said how it was nice that a girl was working in the store and we started talking. By the end of the sale (which took about an hour or more b/c of a lot of confusion) he asked for my number. Haha, yay! Ego Boost for Me!

AxisPoint: That sucks when crap like that happens, I tease my managers sometimes and tell them that I was hired to fill gender and minority requirements >_<

Evangelon: Sounds good on paper but when I'm not making as many sales as other people and my manager goes to review me, guess who won't be getting the raise? Besides, I like helping people and most of the time it's just chatting. I do have a 2nd job that I get paid to post on PSOW and chat on AIM http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif So it's all good.

ABDUR101
Jun 24, 2003, 10:22 PM
Axis: I know what you mean with housekeeping. For some reason, all of the house keepers, except for ONE, are so far out in left field with their heads up their asses it's not funny. o_O

An example would be housekeeping handing out cigarettes and buying candy from the machines and giving it to the residents. Do they not understand that alot of residents are diabetic and have major health issues(most of which partain to a strict diet), and the cigarettes, ugh. The residents have to be taken out to smoke, there are sprinklers and fire alarms all through the building...duuuur. =B

I know that housekeeping doesn't DIRECTLY care for the residents medically, but gah, you'd think maybe common sense would have a role in it. ,_,

We have dogs here as well. One on the skilled nursing side, and a little black poodle on the assisted living and memory care side. As well as a cat on the skilled nursing side. Afew old ladies wheel back into therapy each day and ask me if I've seen "the pussy", to which I direct them to the last place that it was seen and hope they don't get stuck on the way. >_<

Never forget a resident from afew months ago, Nellie. The cat was on one of the low mat tables looking out the window, she's brought in with her wheelchair and in a low voice, she says "Awww, here pussy pussy pussy."...I turn around and she's looking at ME! X_X

..never the less..it's always worth a laugh between me and one of the other therapists that were there that day.

..why the hell am I babbling in this thread. o_O

Way to go Vanango, expecially with the phone number. Hooha!

Axispoint
Jun 24, 2003, 10:54 PM
Ha...we don't have a cigarrette machine on the premises, but get this: in the girls bathroom, they had a sanitary pad machine. You'd put your money in and pick a pad or the stick http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif. Well, evidentally the nurses had figured out how to get the money out and were robbing a freaking pad machine O_O. So they were prolly going to get rid of it, but what kind of an idiot would do that? It boggles the mind.

Also, since nursing is not supposed to tell other people the medical condition of a resident, that's why housekeeping doesn't know, but...in those regards, you treat everyone as having diabetes or things like that. Now some people at the nursing home I work at I know are diabetics 'cos they'll tell them they can't have sweets or they'll go to take their blood to check their suger level, but basically I don't give food or anything like that to residents and if someone wants something, I get a nurse (or pull the light in their room, lol).

Now while we don't have any cats there (just the dog), we used to have a cat that hung around outside and we'd leave it catfood, but I haven't seen him since last winter. He was a really cool cat and very friendly.

Anyway, by chance is your housekeeping department actually run by the nursing home or an outside group (like Healthcare Services)? While I work at the nursing home, I am actually employeed by HCS, who really aren't the greatest people (let's put it this way: I hate them...lol).

Vanago: oooo...cool...got a phone number http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif let us know how that turns out! lol...I technically don't have a boss right now since that one walked out last Friday. Though our District Manager said she'd be our boss until she hired someone, but 20 bucks says she hires someone I get to teach the person how to buff floors (since I did that all day today...the boss who left did them before and well, she didn't do it right and the floors were all nasty...I gotta do the main dining room tomorrow...yay). But since I'm the youngest working there in "Environmental Services" (that's the catchy name for people who clean stuff up, lol), I guess I could say I'm there to represent equal age hiring...lol! Though I've worked there longer than two of the people who currently work there, so cool http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Vanango
Jun 25, 2003, 01:23 AM
On 2003-06-24 20:54, Axispoint wrote:
Vanago: oooo...cool...got a phone number http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif let us know how that turns out!

OMG HE HASN'T CALLED YET!!! It's been like, 5 hours!! WAAA! I'm HIDEOUS!!!! *crumples up and dies*

*shrivel shrivel*

Ooo, boys on PSO, PM me your pictures!!! Wait, girls on PSO, PM me your pictures!!!

hmm, where is Lolita when you need her?

Reenee
Jun 25, 2003, 01:36 AM
I don't mean to be off topic, but you all seem to have different meanings for the word "housekeeping". What exactly are you all meaning by it?

LollipopLolita
Jun 25, 2003, 01:41 AM
*licks vanango*

Reenee
Jun 25, 2003, 01:47 AM
*draws a curtain and puts a gigantic lock*

Nothing to see here, move it on! Yes, even me...

Wait...you never told me your meaning of housekeeping!

Trickstr
Jun 25, 2003, 03:18 AM
On 2003-06-23 15:38, ABDUR101 wrote:
Sadly, the majority of people you come into contact with throughout the day are going to talk to someone they feel comfortable talking to.

For the lady that ignored you and asked a guy, no idea about that one, maybe she felt more comfortable playing stupid to a guy than a girl? I know people who do that. =

The old man, yeah, prolly just did'nt think much of it and is just basing it entirely on looks. Even though he himself surely did'nt know what the answer was.

The two guys, hah, no need to even go there, just easily associate them with testosterone idiots out to make themselves feel better. The kind of punks you'd just as easily backhand than talk to. They're all over around here, rather obnoxious little dips.

Overall, don't feel any akwardness or anything over any of it. There are still people who you help and they are very appreciative of it, thats all that matters. If afew people feel the need to go ask someone else, it's all the same(expecially since some times your co-workers have to come to you, yeah?). Thats sort of how you get your reputation built up. When people start seeing your co-workers going to you with questions, that makes you feel rather good, and eventually, the local customers will start going to you and most easily asking FOR you directly.

The local manager here years ago at the local Babbage's was always the one to goto with anything in the store, just because he knew what he was talking about and would'nt feed you a line of BS, and he was great to talk to, did'nt intimidate you, etc.

Just keep at it, don't let it gnaw at you too much, yeah?

hm! excuse me.

MasterJoel
Jun 25, 2003, 12:09 PM
Last week I was chatting with VulpesMundi (who isn't girly) and FluxGryphon (who is pretty girly), and I casually threw in a "women and politics don't mix"... and it was funny, 'cause for about three seconds, FG thought i was serious. But I wasn't. If i had been serious, that would have been bad. She would have SO kicked my butt across the internet, lol. Erm, yeah.

The woman at my local video game store always knows what she is talking about. I would think quite the opposite about women and video game stores, that guys would flock to you. Guys like women with similar interests! or at least they should...

Ness
Jun 25, 2003, 01:51 PM
On 2003-06-24 15:18, Mizu wrote:

[quote]

If he really really did want to make a conversation, he could've maybe start to talk about the famous subject of Xbox, Halo 2. I could've been happier. But really "This is the Xbox Version of Phantasy Star Online, ......" That was just horrible! It says Xbox right on top, where everyone could see that.

Still, I didn't really see any reason to get mad at him.

Axispoint
Jun 25, 2003, 02:59 PM
On 2003-06-24 23:36, Shapiro wrote:
I don't mean to be off topic, but you all seem to have different meanings for the word "housekeeping". What exactly are you all meaning by it?

At nursing homes, they tend to have a housekeeping department that keeps the residents rooms clean. I tend to just lump them and laundry people in the "environmental services" tag 'cos it makes more sense. And we were talking also about the different things housekeepers tend to do while on duty. I deal with the residents a lot because there are more residents than nurses, so sometimes there isn't a nurse free to give 'em a hand with something, so I'll help 'em if I can (pull their light, help them put on a shoe, or turn down their air conditioner). Today I spent about a good ten minutes in a room just listening to a resident talk about his knee and stuff. I didn't really mind and hey, let's him get stuff off his mind http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Oh, and before I forget...my work just keeps getting better and better. Ok, our temp boss, who's our District Manager, agrees that the dude in our depo shouldn't wear his hat, but, and this is the kicker, alls males working in housekeeping are required to wear is a HCS smock. They can wear jeans and evidentally even boots and not get a thing said to them and I can't. Ha. If you ever want to get a job, NEVER work for this company. They're full of idiots.

And one more thing: I was supposed to be off tomorrow and I have a doctor's appointment next Tuesday that I can't reschedule (I have waited a month for this appointment...cold day in hell before I'd redo that). Today, since I wasn't working tomorrow, I was gonna go out to my dads. Then I could just rest until I had to go to work again 'cos I really need a day off. Well, I come in this morning and our idiot District Manager had changed the schedule and I was working tomorrow. So I was rather upset and to boot, she has me down working the day of my appointment. I wrote her a letter and flat out told her how I felt about all this (I was nice, though...just let her know I had to cancel some plans because of this). As for next Tuesday (doc day), I flat out told her I was going to come in early and work then to get things done and then leave before I had to leave because I am not missing that appointment (especially for a stupid job like that). So as it stands right now, I'm desperate enough to look into working in food services again (like Sonic or Subway, but I'd like Subway better...they have a radio in there and I always loved making subs). I just know that I'm tired of the bull (they're trying to cut our hours back down again...idiots) and I need to get out of there before I get myself fired (I don't know how long I'm going to be able to put up with this kind of crap). The admin dude just told me to hang on and it's like, "yeah, easy for you to say."

Anyway, I really needed to get that out.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Axispoint on 2003-06-25 13:09 ]</font>

LollipopLolita
Jun 25, 2003, 04:20 PM
On 2003-06-25 10:09, MasterJoel wrote:
Last week I was chatting with VulpesMundi (who isn't girly) and FluxGryphon (who is pretty girly),

well maybe because HE isn't a girl, and SHE is

kat
Jun 25, 2003, 06:17 PM
I know exactally where you're comming from!

I wored last two christmases at the local video game store at the mall with my boyfriend. It's an all guy staff, but me when I'm working. And I've been passed by for release date info that the 'guy knows' when only my boyfriend might know. And I've had people pass me and ask the guy if it's in stock (when only the computer I'm staning next to might know) so they have to hollar at me to check it for them. And I have talked to people on the phone... here's a favorite (not exact words, but very close):

Me: Gamequest
caller (guy): Hi, could I talk to one of the guys who works there?
Me: I work here, what can I do for you?
pause, dead silence.
I then made a commment about how they _do_ let me do more than just answer the phones and ring up sales. I _might_ also have knowledge.
Long silence.
I got a question (about stuff in stock I believe) and then answered question. And then we hung up. I do know that he appologized to me (major guilt trip given).

And I cracked up at the end, due to the assumption that as the female in the store I was hired to simply answer the phones...

Probably the best part about working there was that the manager loves me, and for him I really can do no wrong. So I could get away with stuff like that. And we weren't on comission or anything, so the 'who sold what' issue is moot when it comes to stuff like raises (the boss doesn't believe in them. I think it's against his religion. higgles)

All I have in the way of advice for stuff like that is be polite and be sarcastic at the same time. Because if you can say stuff like "Oh, of course I know nothing about video games... I'm female, so I must have been hired for the affirmative action requrirement... oh, and that game is pretty cool, but ____ is a better (fill in genre element here)..."
And then move out of range, because you don't want their number....

And yeah, being female in the game store was just asking to be hit on. The guys knew that if I said that I needed one of them to deal with a certain customer, it was because he was slime, and we'd switch out.

Reenee
Jun 25, 2003, 08:21 PM
Ahh, okay. I thought you were talking about somethin' different. See, I gotta dust, clean, wash dishes, mop, do the windows, and be vacuum monkey for my mom.

All for no pay!

Why? 'Cause my mom has osteoarthritis, lupus, etc... -_-

ChibiMyu
Jun 25, 2003, 10:19 PM

The same thing happened to me when I tried to get GC PSO. The guy at the store was trying to get me to buy a modem when I went to pick up my reserved copy of PSO... but I just got my modem last week! He tried to tell me that he played a lot of PSO on DC and knew all about it and stuff, and that I "needed a modem". Well, after I finally convinced him that I was not buying a modem and I was also a DC vet, I decided to ask him if I might have seen him on PSO since he claimed to have played so much. He goes on about how he probably did meet me since he played with so many people, but based on his character name, I would have known if I did, and I did not. Then he gives me a funny look when I mention that I got my character past lvl 150. Guess he never stuck around for ver 2.

Meh... it seems like I can't buy anything in that store without them correcting me. Yes, I know that Sonic CD and Sonic Adventure are two different games. No, I don't want to buy a Playstation - I want that Sega Saturn. Yes, I know it's not popular, just let me buy it. I like Sonic.

From now on I just try to be invisible when I go into game stores. Now that I'm older, people just tend to think that I'm shopping for someone else. No, not looking for a specific game, just browsing... dun mind me.

Vanango
Jun 26, 2003, 02:40 PM
On 2003-06-25 20:19, ChibiMyu wrote:
Meh... it seems like I can't buy anything in that store without them correcting me. Yes, I know that Sonic CD and Sonic Adventure are two different games. No, I don't want to buy a Playstation - I want that Sega Saturn. Yes, I know it's not popular, just let me buy it. I like Sonic.

From now on I just try to be invisible when I go into game stores. Now that I'm older, people just tend to think that I'm shopping for someone else. No, not looking for a specific game, just browsing... dun mind me.

I always assume people are buying for themselves http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif An older couple came in looking for a Zelda Windwaker Guidebook and I asked which part they were stuck on and they both seemed embarressed and shocked and explained it was for their grandson. Two days ago these littles girls that were probably 4 and 8 were playing with the gameboy advances and the older girl was telling me about all the game systems she had and games she played and I told her to keep it up http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif I explained that girls were better at video games and boys should learn that. Cute Kids.

Oh yea, I have an interview at Funcoland this Monday http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif More video games! We'll see how that turns out.

MasterJoel
Jun 26, 2003, 08:11 PM
On 2003-06-25 14:20, LollipopLolita wrote:

On 2003-06-25 10:09, MasterJoel wrote:
Last week I was chatting with VulpesMundi (who isn't girly) and FluxGryphon (who is pretty girly),

well maybe because HE isn't a girl, and SHE is

i know http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif . maybe i should be less descriptive and more matter-of-fact... they tell me you live for food. good for you!

DukeElrond
Jun 26, 2003, 10:16 PM
I'm not sure if there's anyone here who listens to Steely Dan (perhaps your dad played Steely Dan for you in the car, I've heard of a lot of fathers who do that, lol -- that's how I got to know this band). They made a song called "Pixeleen" that's about a girl playing a video game. Here are the lyrics:

http://www.steelydan.com/emgtracks.html#track7

Droit
Jun 29, 2003, 04:02 PM
at my local gaming store i'd rather talk to the girl instead of any of the guys... gamer girls are always cool lol

PaNicK
Jun 29, 2003, 06:20 PM
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If he really really did want to make a conversation, he could've maybe start to talk about the famous subject of Xbox, Halo 2. I could've been happier. But really "This is the Xbox Version of Phantasy Star Online, ......" That was just horrible! It says Xbox right on top, where everyone could see that

I see no problem with him trying to "elighten" you to pso. He may find it odd that a woman would purchase a video game. And if your cute he could have just wanted a date. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gifD

Vanango
Jul 2, 2003, 09:01 PM
UPDATE~ never ever ever give out your phone number >_< it might seem like a good idea at the time... but it's not. I'm being pursued by 2 guys now and I don't know what to do with them. I tried hinting that I'm not interested but I have to start becoming mean soon.

*hides behind lolipop* Sorry boys, I'm taken.

PaNicK
Jul 2, 2003, 09:30 PM
I'll try to remember that one. You seem like a nice girl, most of the ones I no would have told em to fuck off. But I never understood how a guy could be interested in them anyway.

Slicer238
Jul 2, 2003, 10:06 PM
On 2003-06-26 12:40, Vanango wrote:

I always assume people are buying for themselves http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif Two days ago these littles girls that were probably 4 and 8 were playing with the gameboy advances and the older girl was telling me about all the game systems she had and games she played and I told her to keep it up http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif I explained that girls were better at video games and boys should learn that. Cute Kids.

And you are posting abotu beign victim of sexism and you just post that comment. hmmmmm

ABDUR101
Jul 2, 2003, 10:16 PM
On 2003-07-02 20:06, Slicer238 wrote:
And you are posting abotu beign victim of sexism and you just post that comment. hmmmmm

I doubt she meant what she said, it was most likely one of those things you say to someone with a wink and a smile.

Slicer238
Jul 2, 2003, 10:21 PM
Ah sarcasim.

Raziel_Kai
Jul 3, 2003, 02:27 AM
On the subject that people employ girls just to answer the phones I must admit my employers are very guilty about this.
I work as a bookie. Most gamblers are guys, that I can tell you for certain.
My bosses hire dozens of girls each season for the sole reason of giving their customers a 'pleasant voice' when they get their phone call picked up.
I am not saying that women are only useful for their softer tone of voice or that as bookies, they aren't that good (my best friend started last season and she's one hell of a clerk, I can guarantee that)... but it would seem that there is an underlying aura of sexism in everything.
Gamblers that have questions and/or problems call here, and if they get a girl, they prefer to get a guy on the phone to help them out. My fellow female bookies get upset to no end because of this treatment, and not only resent it, but they do take steps to stop that kind of abuse from the customers.
Girls are as good as guys in any kind of job they partake in.
In fact, I prefer to be attended by a girl whenever I am at a store... not to make passes at her but because guys in my country tend not to be helpful at all... a fact I am very embarassed about.
Oh well, just my two cents here http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

For the record, I'd ask for you Vanango, were I would stop at your store. To talk, to shop, or just say hi. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Lobsta
Jul 3, 2003, 08:10 PM
It can't be that bad can it? It's true guys like to show off. I guess no matter where you go guys will always be engaged in a "pissing contest". Its sort of like asking for directions. Guys just dont want to admit that they need help and perhaps getting help from a girl for some people makes it even more unbearable. I will admit that I don't like relying on others for help. I hope the people in your neighborhood wise up. Girls are just as good as boys perhaps even better. An example of this is my sister beating the shit out of me in Halo.

umbrella
Jul 4, 2003, 04:49 PM
On 2003-06-23 10:20, Intimidacius wrote:
Intimidacius, too, has been the victim of such behavior. Here is how he found how to best deal with it. Plant trip wires throughout the store while no one is looking. Pretty soon people will start blaming the guys, just play up the being a girl thing and they won't suspect a thing. First the electronics store, then the ... then the entire mall.
[quote]Intimidacius' got no strings to hold him down...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Intimidacius on 2003-06-23 10:21 ]</font>

why do you talk in third person, it's kinda creepy..

LamerPanda
Jul 4, 2003, 10:46 PM
On 2003-07-04 14:49, umbrella wrote:

On 2003-06-23 10:20, Intimidacius wrote:

Intimidacius' got no strings to hold him down...

why do you talk in third person, it's kinda creepy..

It's original. I likes. o_O Off-topic, though.

Soren
Jul 5, 2003, 02:56 AM
heh. I'm one of those /guys/ that really doesnt mind the gender of who im playing with. If anything, I think it may be even better to play with a female online. Not even in a sexual sense. Besides, its better to judge someone by actions of meaningful words than by appearance.