PDA

View Full Version : Sega and its Response to cheating

SsjOnslaught
Mar 17, 2001, 04:27 PM
I wont make this a long, lengthy rant. Let me just say that I considered myself the model PSO player, putting hours into the game finding the rare items that my section ID could and then trading for the items I couldn't find. However, inevitably, I received duped or sharked items through trading (some sick bastards even lay sharked money down like where the boxes were before they send you a telepipe). Anyways, to make a long story short, it is outrageous for Sega to ban people who did not themselves willingly cheat or dupe items. I have already written them a letter expressing my concerns, and I know many others of you also feel screwed by the cheaters (for proliferating the items) and Sega (for making us lose all our items because they didn't prevent this in the first place).
If something isn't done, maybe we can get a petition going.

Death to cheaters
Richie

asinclai23
Mar 17, 2001, 04:59 PM
That happened to you too. Thank god I ain't alone in this. I traded a double saber+20 for a EGGBLASTER and the EGGBLASTER was duped and I got disconnected. And when I tryed to join another game it said I had a bad item and needed to disband it offline. Before I could join a team.
I posted this on the offtopic board too before I came here.

PhantomAlpha
Mar 17, 2001, 07:44 PM
About the thing with duped stuff all u have to do is deposit the stuff in the bank offline then pick it up when u join a game. And remember to deposit B4 u go back to the lobby.

Danger_Girl
Mar 17, 2001, 08:00 PM
Well I know many of you will be upset by this. And who knows I may be a victim too. But this is what needed to be done to get rid of the dupes. Sorry if you got screwed in a trade. I may have been too. Actually I can't wait to see if the Lavis I got is legit. If it ain't legit, I'm going to ditch it. Sorry guys but I think this will help the game in the long run, even if we loose some stuff in the short term.

Cheech
Mar 17, 2001, 08:25 PM
Hmm, I do some pretty hefty trading, and I know that most of the stuff that I trade is duped (its a duped world out there kids, and it's very hard to avoid it). I can get online and play games fine. My current weapon is my twin brand and my mag is Pian. Does this only work with items that don't exist? Like, GOD/HP ++ and level 999 mags? Hmmm..

segagameplay
Mar 17, 2001, 08:58 PM
A letter hate to say it but youll get a nice one back saying :
We do understand that you are very frustrated, and are sorry you are not pleased with the service you have received. You have our deepest apologies for any and all troubles that you have experienced as a Dreamcast owner, and we will take your thoughts into consideration. Please understand that it was not our intention for you to go through any trouble. If we can be of any further assistance, please let us know.

Send a petition and it will be printed out and past around laughed at then thrown in the trash. Sorry i know it sucks but thats reality.

Spasm
Mar 17, 2001, 11:00 PM
IMESHO, this is the best change Sega's made to their srevers yet.

I always suspected the items I received on trade were duped, and was ready to drop them if they were, here's my chance to find out.

I have an Orotiagtio among others that might find themselves in the pawn-shop window.

rzareckta
Mar 17, 2001, 11:47 PM
its still not solved, the dupers can just go offline and put the stuff in the bank http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_frown.gif

JayHale
Mar 18, 2001, 01:58 AM
I'm so sorta glad to hear that I wasn't the only one! I do some trading myself, because face it, you can't find every rare out there, it's impossible. Today I traded for a Delsabers Buster, and I kept it with me when I went to the lobby, unaware of what I just traded for. All of a sudden when I tried to re-enter the game a big screen came up telling me that I have "reconstructed data" that I shouldn't have. I was mucho scared because it said Sega would remember this and not allow me to enter anymore game. I thought I was going to have to get rid of all my stuff because the screen specifically says abandon the data offline, and I had more then just the buster with me. So you can see why I was so scared. But I did however log back on after I deposited it in the bank, and viola I could make and enter rooms again. I'm sorry that I have a duped weapon, but like Cheech said before me "its a duped world out there kids, and it's very hard to avoid it." I do think this is a good counter measure by Sega, but I don't think we should be penalized for something that we are unaware of. I mean it's not like the weapon say's "I'm duped" and it's not like we can tell if it is duped. I just pitty the day when Sega invades the banks, because we may lose all our stuff, because let's face it, unless you find the weapon yourself, it's probably not legit.

Glider
Mar 18, 2001, 02:06 AM
I would say 99% of super rare trades are duped. If you had just found a super rare item, not many would ever give it up. The only way I could see someone trading it is if they couldn't use it.

Shir
Mar 18, 2001, 02:09 AM
I'm glad, and they'll probably figure out to check your bank sooner or later. I haven't traded much, but I'd drop things if it means that cheating would stop. Yes, it's nice to have a Lavis Cannon (I don't have one, almost everyone I've played with does) I suppose, but if the item you own shouldn't exist, you shouldn't have it. Think of it like a fake Agito, you got into a buisness deal and got a fake item in exchange. Personally I'm willing to make a few sacrifices so that the 'world' will be better.

Blackheart
Mar 18, 2001, 04:00 AM
I would have to agree with Shir, I don't really trade at all, and i only have 1 item that was given to me (a Double Saber+20) by a Japanese player, about 6 days after PSO started. I confirmed today that it was not duped, and i am very glad that i only keep the things that i find myself, or feel i truly deserve. I feel that sega actaully made a good move on this one. The change hasn't effected me in the slightest, and even if it did, i would still be glad to have a way to make sure that my items weren't Rip-offs.

Seutekh
Mar 18, 2001, 05:43 AM
Personally, guys, I'd gladly drop any item I knew was duped... in fact, I'm about to test out the one and only "spiffy" rare I have: a stag cutlery. The thing's been in the bank for weeks, and I thought that just cuz I was able to hop online tonight I was fine. But since they apparently can't check the banks yet... it's time to find out.

And should it be fake, you can bet your sweet axx I'm consigning it to oblivion faster than you can say "Give it to me instead!"

Oh, and Shir, I love yer sig.

Sheogorath
Mar 18, 2001, 06:00 AM
Good one S-man (Remember when we met in the lobby a couple days back?) I had a similiar experience.

The only two items I had that were not found were my Chainsawd Blade, and my Flame Visit.

Now, I knew the visit was a dupe. It was given to me by a good friend, but he told me he was skeptical about the person who traded for it, so before I logged on yesterday, I ditched it immediately.

However, the Chainsawd was an item I traded for with the Bazooka I found. It was my favorite weapon, and I loved how it looked when my character held it.

However, I decided it's best to be safe then sorry, and sold the Saw.

Will I ever know if the saw was legit? No.
Will I ever get a message saying I've been banned from making games? Not a chance.

As a footnote to the story, Rage, whom I traded the Bazooka to (His friend gave Him the Chainsawd) was more then willing to give the Bazooka back to me.

I will never let this gun out of my site....ever.
Even if I don't like it. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_smile.gif

Defend
Mar 18, 2001, 02:48 PM
I just don't understand people who carry on with all their "duping is bad, i'd never dupe anything" talk, then blankly admit they carry or regret that they can't carry duped items. People get duped items in a trade, then get angry at Sega for not allowing them?!? These people can't possibly be against duping if they claim to carry or wished they could carry their old duped items. I mean ,the dupers wouldn't really be doing a thing to PSO if non-dupers truly didn't take items they were aware of being duped.
Those that got ripped off, and have had to drop items.. how can you be angry at Sega? The trader ripped you off with 'forged' curncy, yet Sega tries to fix it for everyone and just because they came in AFTER your loss, you get angry at them.
Argh.

Anyway, its only an item. I fail to see how you can be so attached to rare items if you know they are duped. Rare items are valuable because they are rare, so I can see the excitement in obtaining one.. but once you find out its duped... what's wrong with dicing it? It wasn't the rare you were excited about, so what was i that you were attached to?

SsjOnslaught
Mar 18, 2001, 07:09 PM
On 2001-03-18 11:48, Defend wrote:
I just don't understand people who carry on with all their "duping is bad, i'd never dupe anything" talk, then blankly admit they carry or regret that they can't carry duped items. People get duped items in a trade, then get angry at Sega for not allowing them?!? These people can't possibly be against duping if they claim to carry or wished they could carry their old duped items. I mean ,the dupers wouldn't really be doing a thing to PSO if non-dupers truly didn't take items they were aware of being duped.
Those that got ripped off, and have had to drop items.. how can you be angry at Sega? The trader ripped you off with 'forged' curncy, yet Sega tries to fix it for everyone and just because they came in AFTER your loss, you get angry at them.
Argh.

Anyway, its only an item. I fail to see how you can be so attached to rare items if you know they are duped. Rare items are valuable because they are rare, so I can see the excitement in obtaining one.. but once you find out its duped... what's wrong with dicing it? It wasn't the rare you were excited about, so what was i that you were attached to?
[addsig]

Im not saying that Im mad at sega because i cant use duped items, Im saying Im mad that they allowed me to be able to trade for duped items in the first place. With the section ID thing, you can only get all the good items by trading, and i did trade (and got duped crap). Anyways, after a LONG process of elimination, the only duped items that i have that i actually use are my Robochao (i should have known a pians and pitri for the robochao was too good to be true) and a god/technique (i dont care, i can always get higher level disks).
Hopefully banks will be able to be checked soon
Richie Williams

SaitoH
Mar 18, 2001, 07:36 PM
Is this checking for duped items true? I have 3 characters and all 3 have been online in the last day. I find it hard to believe that after all the trading I did last week that not one of my items isn't a duped one. Alot of the trades I did were with people from PSO world and they were all very nice people. That being said, the odds of trading for a duped item are just FAR too great. I have a Lavis cannon that is most likely a duped item, simple because i traded for it and it is a super rare.

The point to my post is the check that sega has in place for duped items or for HACKED items. I believe it's for hacked items simple because i don't have any and would not trade for them. Has anyone actually had to get rid of a non-hacked item to go back online?

Just a side note. I was ripped off in a trade today and a good friend of mine had his weapon stolen as well. One bad side effect to stopping the dupers, is now people will be trying to rip everyone off to get rare items. That being said, I feel no duping is better than rampant duping. Just be careful with your stuff online. No more trading for me except with people on this message board. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_smile.gif

Socrates
Mar 18, 2001, 09:13 PM
"Is this checking for duped items true?"

Not according to the actual dupers and hackers who gave us most of these problems to begin with. In fact, it appears that SEGA is not yet even checking for hacked items, but rather just items that are hacked beyond what would be possible in the game anyway -- i.e., lvl 999 mags, rare weapons ground up to +255, etc.

Any hacked items at all may well be being checked for soon, but as of yesterday at least, duped items were not being detected nor were they sending up flags.

VampireLR
Mar 19, 2001, 04:06 AM
Ok I have a question. How do you know the item you posses is duped..? People said you can't join games or create games if there's a duped item in your possession. My friend gave me a Lavis Cannon to trade for a good Force weapon. If you're asking why he would do such a thing, it's because he's a real life friend and we'd known each other for ages. I can join games and create them but I can't equip it being a Force. He can use it, and he can also create and join games. Does that make the item legit..?

Ambel
Mar 19, 2001, 04:13 AM
SEGA is killing each duped stuff every day. stay tuned!

Fionne
Mar 19, 2001, 04:32 AM
*Spins in a circle....* Ahhhh this is a relief on my part. Why? Because now when I trade I can assure myself what I get isn't duped. I guess I am sort of a hipocrit in that I was formerly aware some of my "old" (meening gone now) weapons where duped. But I think Sega gave me a boost in the right direction. Lets face it rules can be fun.

Rio
Mar 19, 2001, 04:57 AM
<blockquote>
In my not so humble opinion I'll be happy when Sega's managed to somehow get these sad little cheats off. Back when PSO first came out I thought theives were bad. Hell, after my most recent trip online I'd welcome an item theif or hog in comparison to a couple of hacked demigods running around with Spread Needles, shooting lighting from their eyes and farting fireballs...

I'm sick of it. Sick Sick Sick Sick of it.

This isn't some sad little game of Quake where you're out to blow up a bunch of people, it's a co-operative game where people work together towards a goal. The guys running around with Gamesharked characters make me feel ill.

htny
Mar 19, 2001, 08:29 AM
http://cgi.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.asp?board=26576&topic=555447

just look. the people testing this have been playing this game since before you heard about it. So it'll help w/ your speculations..ht

Lucidservant
Mar 19, 2001, 08:56 AM
You do what you've got to do. When decisions are made in cases like this, someone is going to be angry. I say search that much harder to find rares, if rares are what you are about. Rares are extras put into the game to add diversity. If some anxious kid makes his on and can't get back on-line, oh well. If you traded with that kid, drop it and continue your quest. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_smile.gif

Gericault
Mar 19, 2001, 09:02 AM
Easy for you to say. x_X A friend of mine traded an arm a leg and a testicle to get a spread needle for me, and, well, considering that it's a SPREAD NEEDLE, I was almost positive the damn thing was duplicated and I'd lose my favorite weapon to Sega's new security measures. I finally went online last night with it, winced, joined a game... and... ... ... it was real! Woo-hoo! Legitimate Spread Needle! Yay! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_biggrin.gif

Actually, I figure the guy probably duped himself a billion and then traded away the original by accident. That made me feel kind of bad, because it's still trading with a duper. But then I realized that all his duped stuff is absolutely worthless now, and I'm probably walking around with the only legitimate rare he's ever had pass through his hands, so that made me feel a lot better. >http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_biggrin.gif

-Matrix-
Mar 19, 2001, 09:25 AM
Wow, this is such a controversial topic!

How interesting...

Ambrai
Mar 19, 2001, 01:01 PM
Mod: Moved to rants.

The_Neon_Samurai
Mar 19, 2001, 01:27 PM
I would applaud Sega for this change if it would actually work. But as with the last anti-cheater patch, it is too easy to work your way around it. Generally I believe that you have to make a personal sacrifice if it is for the common goal. I would have applauded both the fact that you can't properly update your chara anymore and losing duped items traded for with legit trades if that had actually gotten us rid of the cheaters. But like this Sega is just hurting legid players without achieving anything through it and that sucks big time. And a sidenote to all the people whining about losing the items they "legitimatly" traded for. Don't give me that bs. You knew very well that when you trade for a Holy Ray, Eggblaster, Inferno Bazooka, rare mag, or any of those superrares you have about a 90% chance of getting a duped item. If that doesn't turn you off, see what it get's you. Where did you think these items came from? They're not just found every other day, you know and any person who's lucky enough to find one after 150h of gameplay wouldn't just trade them away if he didn't have a backup of them.

Warlord35
Mar 19, 2001, 01:48 PM
People,

Sega isn't letting you on because of HACKED items, not DUPED items. If you just get rid of Egg, any lvl 999 mag, and sonic knuckles you can get on fine, you can still play with duped items, i was on a game where the guy was sitting there duping and he left and came right back in. It cannot detect duped items even when they are on you, I took a duped item and put it on my char, it still let me connect, I then proceeded to drop that dupe, but like I said, this "legit" stuff you have isn't LEGIT it is DUPED to hell and back.

My 2 cents..........

DirtySanchez
Mar 27, 2001, 02:04 PM
Warlord is correct. All you folks who "tested" your items found out nothing about their legitimacy. Any rare item you have coupld still be a duped item. If it doesn't give you the message when you try to join a game or when you take it out of the bank, all that means is that it's not a hacked item that has ridiculous stats.

On a side note, it appears there are many people who feel burned by trading with people for duped items. I have made trades that in the end didn't make me happy, either. I just hope that you will remember this feeling next time someone pops into your game and you see that little message to the right of the screen. I have been chased out of games for that message while trying to figure out if I had anything bad, being called names and just generally getting a raw deal. I knew when I traded that some of the items might have been illegitimate. I just didn't expect to be called a cheater and hacker myself just for trying to find out...

Arliman
Apr 1, 2001, 05:42 AM
Well, I made a discovery of my own last night. Seems that Sega can detect a hacked item when you take it out of the bank...in game. I had a lvl 30 character drop a God HP++ (9002 hp increase..hack..cough.cough...) on me a few weeks ago. I held on to it for kicks ( being lvl 95 at the time it was no big deal), but when I tried to take the thing out of the bank online...PSO booted me like a red-headed step-child. SEGA is stepping up to the plate, and they are swinging HARD. It'll take a while, but it's coming. While I still hold a SPREAD NEEDLE that was given to me as a gift, PSO hasn't had a seizure with it yet. But if it turns out to be a dupe...it's outta there. It is disappointing, no doubt...to find out the rare you could never find, is given to you ( through philanthropy or trade) and turns out to be "hot" merchandise. But let's remember, why bitch about losing an ilegitimate item, when the real pleasure is in playing with others. I haven't given up hope of finding my OWN SPREAD NEEDLE, and as long as I have that hope, the game will never die....Play on....