PDA

View Full Version : "Please don't bump old topics."

Wewt
Aug 5, 2003, 08:30 AM
Why, oh WHY must moderators say that?

This isn't the only message board that has moderators do that. If the topic isn't allowed to have anybody post in them after they've been inactive for a number of weeks, why not lock them? Makes perfect sense. After all, we're only allowed to read them, and having them locked doesn't mean we can't read them.

muff
Aug 5, 2003, 09:40 AM
I was thinking the same thing. Why keep all the old topics if your not even allowed to post in them? By the way is that why Broomop got banned?

Mystil
Aug 5, 2003, 09:43 AM
Hmm...at my board, I just set it to auto prune after 30 days. But you'd think a new member would not post in a topic that two or three years old, hehe.

muff
Aug 5, 2003, 09:45 AM
But people are encouraged to use forum search and don't realise the dates, thats why they old topics get bumped.

Wewt
Aug 5, 2003, 10:41 AM
On 2003-08-05 07:40, Cubis wrote:
I was thinking the same thing. Why keep all the old topics if your not even allowed to post in them? By the way is that why Broomop got banned?

Probably. I saw a few topics being closed, which were really old ones that he posted it. He had made a couple of interesting posts, but the topics were still closed because the moderators didn't like it, or there's a rule I don't know of that concerns topic bumping.

Micah
Aug 5, 2003, 02:17 PM
hmm.. good idea for me to use to get banned.. hehe

LollipopLolita
Aug 5, 2003, 02:29 PM
On 2003-08-05 08:41, WWWWWWWWWWWW wrote:

On 2003-08-05 07:40, Cubis wrote:

no that's not why. he linked to a cheat site. that's why

_J
Aug 6, 2003, 06:57 AM
no that's not why. he linked to a cheat site. that's why

Naughty, naughty...

You can't post on old topics?...o_O

Ness
Aug 6, 2003, 04:05 PM
Posting in old topics generally isn't cool because most of the people around them aren't here now.

Wewt
Aug 6, 2003, 07:21 PM
On 2003-08-06 14:05, Ness wrote:
Posting in old topics generally isn't cool because most of the people around them aren't here now.

"it isn't cool" No comment.

The topics are here, and they are open for posting, yet you're not allowed to post in them.

unknown2226
Aug 6, 2003, 11:56 PM
Well I think if the thread is really old they should lock it....I sometimes do make that mistake of posting and not seeing the date of the thread...I have to be more careful...

Topazfalcon
Aug 7, 2003, 08:08 PM
Well, I had some old trade topics from the DC days. I forgot I had them. All of a sudden they were getting bumped, and I got alot of PMs asking for stuff on a game I don't play anymore. I was cool about it though. I just asked a mod to delete or lock the thread. No harm done. I think it is ok to bump an old thread, depending on the topic, and if it is teribly old. That's just me though.

Monomate
Aug 12, 2003, 06:48 PM
and some of the old topics are really interesting, and should be bumped back (such as if they have useful information that might benefit others...)

however as a general rule, i avoid going past page 3...and usually stay put on page 1

SundryKnives
Aug 13, 2003, 07:41 PM
Yeah what the heck, if you post a clone thread people scream at you "use search!" but if you use search and find the thread and post in it they yell "don't bump!"
Noobs have it rough, I feel sorry for them.

Master_of_Dragons
Aug 14, 2003, 08:03 AM
yup i first posted using the fourm serch thing.

i didnt realize it was 8 months old. then vulpes came in an yelled don't bump old topics.

i was like well sorry i was new.