PDA

View Full Version : I don't get it. Do you think you're special if you played th

Kanore
Aug 5, 2003, 02:24 PM
There are many people that have played this game in the past. I know many people. I respect the lot. But there are people that are new to PSO, and know just as much as the so called 'veterans' of PSO. Like me, perhaps? I studied so much on the old version so much as to think I actually played it. From photos to weapon stats to hacks, i've seen most all of it, heard of most all of it, everything.

I'm not special, am I? I didn't play the other two versions.

But there are these 'n00bs' out there, 'n00bs' that have been there since the older versions, that think they're just SOMETHING just because they played v.1 and v.2. I got into a usual argument once, and the guy brings up 'I've been playing since v.2!'

So what? Who really gives a damn shit about someone playing since the past? Like I said, there are people that could know as much as people in the past.

It's just an overused excuse by the so called n00bs, and I'm getting tired of it.

This is no real offense to anyone who played the older versions, but just a simple rant on how people bother to bring up something old in something new, thinking they're something special.

- Kanore

OnnaWren
Aug 5, 2003, 02:33 PM
Actually, I do.

It was an "unpopular" game on an "unpopular" system. Granted, the GameCube isn't a forerunner like the Xbox, but it has more clout and fanbase than the Dreamcast ever did. That, and I've been playing virtually daily since the original US release date of DC v1.

If that doesn't paint me as at least Hardcore, I don't know what does...

Micah
Aug 5, 2003, 02:34 PM
i have no clue what the hell your talking about

Kanore
Aug 5, 2003, 02:37 PM
On 2003-08-05 12:34, Micah wrote:
i have no clue what the hell your talking about

I was expecting to get that answer, nice try Micah.

PaNicK
Aug 5, 2003, 03:27 PM
Kano your from jersey too? O_o

Kanore
Aug 5, 2003, 04:11 PM
On 2003-08-05 13:27, PaNicK wrote:
Kano your from jersey too? O_o

I told you that the day we met... >.>

PaNicK
Aug 5, 2003, 04:12 PM
When was this? O_o

Mystil
Aug 5, 2003, 08:32 PM
Hmm, as a person whos played ALL three versions, I have to say that I dont think I'm special, but I certainly think I'm wise in pso. And you know? It's true. Alot of pso vets abuse thier knowledge though such as what is mentioned in your post. Like using it to bring down newbies and such things. I have been mistaken for 'knowing better than the next person, ans trying to come off as smarter than them'. What you would call a jealous oldie.

Wewt
Aug 5, 2003, 08:36 PM
I'm special, apparently. I haven't played PSO since like, November of last year. Last night, a friend was telling me that people on PSO were talking about me. This is just plain weird. :l

Mystil
Aug 5, 2003, 08:42 PM
You probably got old friends that miss you.

Dangerous55
Aug 5, 2003, 09:11 PM
Hah, Version 1 had a COMPLETELY different feel then Episode 1 and 2. And when I say different I mean better.

ABDUR101
Aug 5, 2003, 10:31 PM
On 2003-08-05 19:11, Dangerous55 wrote:
Hah, Version 1 had a COMPLETELY different feel then Episode 1 and 2. And when I say different I mean better.

You really need to die afew times so I can..err..hold your rares for you. =x

*pipes out and DC's, leaving D55 sweating, swearing and screaming at the loss of his 11 star rare*

pixelate
Aug 5, 2003, 11:00 PM
I don't get it. Do you think you're special if you played the other two versions?

No, not really, seeing how the earlier versions were a much bigger train wreck.

polishedweasel
Aug 5, 2003, 11:50 PM
Yes, you know all the tricks, you know what to expect, you know how to get around without getting pummeled...blah blah blah....and you don't ask what the Giant Rappy is there for.

-Tirith
Aug 6, 2003, 12:32 AM
yes, very. Thanks for noticing.

Wewt
Aug 6, 2003, 12:12 PM
On 2003-08-05 18:42, Silhouette wrote:
You probably got old friends that miss you.

Doubt it. I was a total asshole on PSO. I still am an asshole. I prefer it this way. All the friends that I know from PSO, I still keep in touch with anyway. Well, the ones I thought were worth keeping in touch with, and vice versa.

Dangerous55
Aug 6, 2003, 12:53 PM
On 2003-08-05 20:31, ABDUR101 wrote:

You really need to die afew times so I can..err..hold your rares for you. =x

*pipes out and DC's, leaving D55 sweating, swearing and screaming at the loss of his 11 star rare*

Pfft, I got 35 other Heavens Punishers in the bank, right next to my 9999999999999 meseta.

The_Hero_Of_Time
Aug 6, 2003, 02:01 PM
I think you are missing the point...You cant be a N00b if you have played all the other versions, cause you arnt new to the game.

Wewt
Aug 6, 2003, 02:09 PM
On 2003-08-06 12:01, The_Hero_Of_Time wrote:
I think you are missing the point...You cant be a N00b if you have played all the other versions, cause you arnt new to the game.

To me, noob isn't just for newbies, it's for people that totally suck at the game, and for those that know nothing.

saffaya
Aug 7, 2003, 05:48 PM
To me, noob isn't just for newbies, it's for people that totally suck at the game, and for those that know nothing.

To me, I'd call these lamers.
Newbies discover a new and enriching game, and it's a pleasure to give them hints so they can enjoy PSO even more.
Noobs are lamers that begin to play PSO, will suck, and won't listen to your advices so much it'll make you sick about helping others for a while.

Wewt
Aug 7, 2003, 09:39 PM
Pfft. One term covers all!

Ness
Aug 8, 2003, 06:00 AM
On 2003-08-05 18:36, WWWWWWWWWWWW wrote:
I'm special, apparently. I haven't played PSO since like, November of last year. Last night, a friend was telling me that people on PSO were talking about me. This is just plain weird. :l

I get PMs with people thanking me for stuff for stuff I didn't do. Which means that I have a whole bunch of fans posing as me.

VulpesMundi
Aug 9, 2003, 10:59 PM
It basically boils down to two things: intelligence and wisdom. Intelligence is book smarts learned through study. Wisdom is acquired smarts learned through experience. One can get away with book smarts having studied past versions of PSO, but by not experiencing the actual differences of the game you're still missing half of the truth.

A good example is Challenge mode. People who have only played C-mode in E1&2 on either the GC or XB don't realize how easy they have it. C-mode was much more difficult on ver.2. There were rarely weapons with hit bonuses, and when there were hit bonuses the highest you could find was 60 with the average being around 15. Forces didn't get technique bonuses. There was no HUcaseal to quickly use guns and be a secondary ranger. The rangers themselves often had to earn extra ATA before using a better gun. Little but very notable differences that made quite a difference.

The feel of the older versions was quite a bit different, just in the way it worked. Wall physics were different. Some attack combos were different. It was certainly a lot more frustrating trying to find useful items. One was extremely lucky to find a 10 star item, and downright blessed by some higher power to find an 11 star item. And lets not forget the fear of being molested by a PKer, CKer, FSoDer, RSoDer, and so on. Some things aren't missed, but in whole the older versions definately had a different feeling to them, as well as a different atmosphere. You can't replicate that with text in a magazine, forum, FAQ, or what have you. You can only know it through experience.

Now does having played all three versions make someone special? No, not at all. But it does make them wise in the way the game worked both past and present.

Wewt
Aug 10, 2003, 05:43 AM
On 2003-08-09 20:59, VulpesMundi wrote:
A good example is Challenge mode. People who have only played C-mode in E1&2 on either the GC or XB don't realize how easy they have it. C-mode was much more difficult on ver.2. There were rarely weapons with hit bonuses, and when there were hit bonuses the highest you could find was 60 with the average being around 15. Forces didn't get technique bonuses. There was no HUcaseal to quickly use guns and be a secondary ranger. The rangers themselves often had to earn extra ATA before using a better gun. Little but very notable differences that made quite a difference.
Another reason why I didn't like Ep 1 & 2. Challenge mode got too easy. I still remember my FOnewearl doing 90 damage with Foie...

_J
Aug 10, 2003, 07:13 AM
DreamCast had alot better community too, especially at the start. Like everyone said, just because you read aload of stats, you don't know the old PSO at all. You never even went online with it, that's the whole point of PSO.

polishedweasel
Aug 11, 2003, 04:03 AM
Didn't play the old versions, learned fast, got a char up to 90 in a week, thought I was the shit, got another char up to 100 in two days, realized this game was lame. Periodically, I go back and forth into PSO gaming.

As of now, I'm very bored with video games, and try to do other things, but it's hard to do because I've played games so much. *goes off to bed*

Master_of_Dragons
Aug 14, 2003, 04:03 AM
considering the fact that i still think i am a newbie and all, i know jack squat. the game gets more deep as i learn more. recently after beating ult seabed i relized the connections between flowen and DB. and others. i still need to learn more and other people think they are cool cause they can beat the game in a week or two.

n00bs are to be destroyed cause they are pains in the a$$.

newbis are to be loved on as if they were children.

Wewt
Aug 14, 2003, 07:17 AM
You can learn a LOT of stuff from cheating as well, but I won't get into that right now.

Master_of_Dragons
Aug 14, 2003, 07:54 AM
cheating isnt that fun. ruins the game

Wewt
Aug 14, 2003, 08:05 AM
On 2003-08-14 05:54, Master_of_Dragons wrote:
cheating isnt that fun. ruins the game

Your opinion. Ruining the game involves people that desire to ruin it.