PDA

View Full Version : Someone please explain this 'Untekked' craze

Fanatic
Aug 15, 2003, 05:34 AM
Every day on the board I see people offering or asking for untekked rares. However, thinking it through I can think of very few advantages to trading untekked, but big dis-advantages.

As far as I am informed, it is very possible to dupe untekked items, so an untekked rare is far from a guarantee against a dupe. At most, it is a slightly higher chance.

Also, how can you guarantee what you get? If all you see in the trade window is ?SPECIAL WEAPON and a sword icon, you have no way of knowing that you'll end up with a 'legit' BKB and not a Double Saber.

If I'm not misinformed on both of these points, I'd never myself trade in untekked weapons, and never understand why people desire to do so.

evil_zeiram
Aug 15, 2003, 05:56 AM
ok first id like to state that you will MOST LIKEY NEVER GET A LEGIT BKB UNTEKKED. why? because you use blue black stone to MAKE BKB. that said, the advantages to haveing something untekked is that you can customise the % to some degree when you tekk it. for example: i have an untekked ruby bullet with 15 to hit. so what you say? well if i haggle the tekker for abit i can get the rare to have 25% hit instead of the formerly meager 15%. thats the advantage. but as you also stated the whole concept of screwing over someone in the trade window is a VERY REAL possibility, but you do realize you can check the weps requirements and attribute%'s in the window too, so if your gonna trade for a untekked rare you best be able to see the requirements or its really just your own fault. hope that helps oh btw you got anything on my want want list?

Atax
Aug 15, 2003, 06:30 AM
It started with the legits only trading untekked weaps for untekked weaps because of the new add-on that allows you to add percentages. Because of this dupe could give stats to a mass duped item and pass it off as legit. Trading only for untekked stuff was the only way of making sure what you were getting was legit.

This was only with hardcore legits, and was rarely seen.

But no the dupers have caught onto this in an attempt to get legit items from legit users (IE they mass dupe the untekked stuff, then trade it); causing a sudden increase in the threads.

JWSonikku
Aug 15, 2003, 06:40 AM
> As far as I am informed, it is very possible to dupe untekked items, so an untekked rare is far from a guarantee against a dupe. At most, it is a slightly higher chance. <

Very true. This is a disadvantage, but duping happens all over the shop. At least tekking makes it vaguely more belivable.

> Also, how can you guarantee what you get? If all you see in the trade window is ?SPECIAL WEAPON and a sword icon, you have no way of knowing that you'll end up with a 'legit' BKB and not a Double Saber. <

An informed hunter will be able to tell from the weapon stats what weapon they are getting. If they only get a +100 ATP bonus, it's just a Double Saber. If, however, they're getting +600/700, it's more likely to be a BKB. I forget the exact figures, but that's what PSO World's Item Database is for. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

> If I'm not misinformed on both of these points, I'd never myself trade in untekked weapons, and never understand why people desire to do so. <

Well, people do it for the good old +10% bonus you can sometimes get. In the case of Delsaber Arms, I'm not sure if you CAN get percentages on these, but you can try and get them made in the quest, and if the items aren't to you liking, you save without quitting (which is safe offline - one of the few times it IS safe to turn your console off in PSO!) and keep going until you get the percentages you like best. I think it partly has something to do with some tekkers giving you better percentages than others, but I'm hoping someone can clarify whether this is the truth for me.

--
Sonikku

Fanatic
Aug 15, 2003, 06:44 AM
The BKB was supposed to read MKB, sorry ^_^
I know all bout converting between the two.

As for checking reqs, it does seem to be a good hint, few weapons have the same req and atp bonus (Sange is identical to Yasha in this aspect, but they are 10 and 11 stars respectively, so could still be told apart). Just a good reminder to bring a character class capable of equipping the weapon you're trading for, as well as a calculator and item list ^_^

Of course, with people scamming others to drop stuff on the floor, I guess there is a fair share of untekked scamming going on too....

As for items on your trade list - let's wait until you get onto xbox eu or I get a gamecube ^_^

Krank40oz
Aug 15, 2003, 09:32 AM
I dont even think about it when i find a rare and i cant use it I usually tekk it, i dont think its hurtimg me at all!