PDA

View Full Version : Old Fashion or Not???

xHIGHONLIFEx
Aug 15, 2003, 12:41 PM
To all the Asian PSO'ers out there, are your parents old fashion or not??? I hate it, my mom is such a bitch... She's always telling me what to do, who to date, and now that I'm going to college, she wants me to be a nurse... Being Filipino, she keeps thinking I should be a nurse cause "we're good at it." She hates it when I bring a different girl with a different race to the house. When she leaves, my mom says I'm wasting my time and I should stick with my race... My dad is more mellow... He wants me to do whatever I want, he wants me to date any girl that suites me and he tells me what to do, but he isn't too strict about it... I hate my mom because she does this to me, and gives beef back to my dad for supporting my beliefs... What about your parents???

Dime
Aug 15, 2003, 01:49 PM
Heh, male nurse.

Dangerous55
Aug 15, 2003, 02:28 PM
On 2003-08-15 11:49, Dime wrote:
Heh, male nurse.

You made the kid commit suicide, I hope your happy. I know I would be.

Kizaragu
Aug 15, 2003, 02:59 PM
That must suck Dude. I've never been in a similar experience as my Parents are pretty laid Back. Wish I could think of some advice.
I'm not asian either but I doubt all asian parents are like that? Are they?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kizaragu on 2003-08-15 13:00 ]</font>

ABDUR101
Aug 15, 2003, 04:12 PM
No different than certain family members here getting on others for not being with other whites. =

Don't hate your mom because she's old fashioned, thats how she was raised and what she's used to, maybe her parents made it a point to her, and now she's with your dad. Right?

See the good in that, yeah? The best you can do is be tolerant, and hopefully she'll be tolerant in the long run.

Vanango
Aug 16, 2003, 12:56 AM
I can totally relate.

I'm in College and my parents think I'm too young to date. Then they wonder why I don't tell them anything.

They were raised a lot differently and they are used to their own standards and expect me to be a certain way... I'm generally not.

Most parents-child relationships will be awkward. There usually is a huge age difference, but in a lot of first generation kids case, there are a lot of cultural barriers that are often extremely hard or impossible to avoid.

umbrella
Aug 16, 2003, 03:58 PM
my mom says if I don't go to college she'll disown me.
that may very well be the best thing that will ever happen to me!

Shattered_weasel
Aug 16, 2003, 04:28 PM
bah parents suck

Obscenity
Aug 16, 2003, 05:20 PM
My mom is pretty lax compared to a lot of other Asian parents I've seen. Especially now that I'm 26. =D
ABout the only thing she harps on me about is marrying an Asian girl. When I was younger, I was against the idea. I totally dig Asian chicks now, though.

umbrella
Aug 16, 2003, 09:07 PM
oh asian?

*backs away...*

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

Firocket1690
Aug 17, 2003, 01:10 AM
AzN
nice big typo http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Obscenity
Aug 17, 2003, 02:01 AM
On 2003-08-16 23:10, Firocket1690 wrote:
AzN
nice big typo http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

I find people who use AzN tend to be teenagers with no sense of identity.

Symbios
Aug 17, 2003, 02:12 AM
....my parents.......suck....sometimes i fell like.....killing them....(yes im serious)

Vanango
Aug 17, 2003, 02:27 AM
On 2003-08-17 00:12, Symbios wrote:
....my parents.......suck....sometimes i fell like.....killing them....(yes im serious)

I'm sorry you feel that way. I also hope that you don't kill them.

Octavian
Aug 17, 2003, 02:28 AM
My mom was born in the Azores, some people call it Europes Hawaii now, lol, but anyhow she is the coolest and really doesnt try to sway me in any direction I dont want to go. Shes still a mom though.....lol

Guile
Aug 17, 2003, 02:38 AM
I dunno, I don't see them.

Firocket1690
Aug 17, 2003, 04:00 AM
On 2003-08-17 00:01, Obscenity wrote:

On 2003-08-16 23:10, Firocket1690 wrote:
AzN

I find people who use AzN tend to be teenagers with no sense of identity.

AzN is the 'asian' spelling of asian
it's one of those AzN-Only things that some people have

kinda like the way African Americans call each other "N*****" and refer to each other as brother

I apologize, as this was aganst the forum rules
I censored the words

AYY-BEE-CEE
Aug 17, 2003, 08:48 AM
Muslims (who originate in Asia (plus other Asian religions apply here for some)) are tight because the more orthodox have extremist views, like all people of the world should be Muslim, and we should all wear long robes, women should be hidden behind veils and if they are married they shouldn't cross their eyes with another man.

....And then there is arranged marriages.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: AYY-BEE-CEE on 2003-08-17 06:50 ]</font>

Vanango
Aug 17, 2003, 07:30 PM
On 2003-08-17 02:00, Firocket1690 wrote:

AzN is the 'asian' spelling of asian

y'all should check out the following MP3:

Azn Pryde - Got Rice

It's a rip off of Tupac but it's soo funny.

LollipopLolita
Aug 17, 2003, 07:36 PM
On 2003-08-17 06:48, AYY-BEE-CEE wrote:
Muslims (who originate in Asia (plus other Asian religions apply here for some)) are tight because the more orthodox have extremist views, like all people of the world should be Muslim, and we should all wear long robes, women should be hidden behind veils and if they are married they shouldn't cross their eyes with another man.

....And then there is arranged marriages.

really? hmm, news to me. my grandfather is a muslim cleric and one of the head clerics in his moqsue and he's not like that. he's always been accepting because it's what allah is about. half of my family is muslim. those traits aren't even in the quran and they are more a cultural development rather than a religious muslim view. it's more of a radical muslim fundamentalist. and actually the families mentioned here doesn't sound that bad or old fashioned. i'll take em any day.

parents are always doing the best they can and you have to think of the general mindset and that they are trying to still hold on to cultural values. you can't blame them for thinking that way, it's a different way of thinking.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LollipopLolita on 2003-08-17 17:37 ]</font>

ssephiroth_da_hunter
Aug 18, 2003, 12:03 AM
A male nurse huh??? My parents are totally opposite, they ask me what I want to do and they just give me suggestions. I only heard them mention nurse like once. Since I'm Filipino as well, my parents also tell me who or what kind of person I should date. It seems they want someone who fits theire standards.