PDA

View Full Version : Verb its not just a word.....

Shattered_weasel
Aug 18, 2003, 05:51 PM
Why must there even be a commercial to tell children to get off their lazy behinds and go outside and do something....If i even do anything lazy for longer than an hour my mom gets a little pissy...So go outside and have some fun.

Wewt
Aug 18, 2003, 06:19 PM
I'm lazy now, but when I was in my early teens I was a hyperactive maniac. It's weird to see kids of 13 years of age or so staying at home so much. Not sure why, even though I'm at home a lot.

shifter
Aug 18, 2003, 08:43 PM
back when we were kids we didnt hae all te fun game consoles when growing up. we were able to to play nintendo and go outside in the same afternoon. but now games are so addictive now, its scary. glad i grew up in the eighties.

Suppa_Buddha
Aug 18, 2003, 08:55 PM
Verb: Its what you do.

not what I do I'm a lazy bum!

ABDUR101
Aug 18, 2003, 09:10 PM
Verb:
Play
v. played, play·ing, plays
v. intr.

To occupy oneself in amusement, sport, or other recreation: children playing with toys.

To behave or converse sportively or playfully.

http://www.dictionary.com =D

LamerPanda
Aug 18, 2003, 09:43 PM
The commercial is due to the recent obesity problem, I suppose. n_n

My verb is type! >_>

Dime
Aug 18, 2003, 10:01 PM
4 of you guys are obese.

ABDUR101
Aug 18, 2003, 10:04 PM
On 2003-08-18 20:01, Dime wrote:
4 of you guys are obese.

I'm willing to bet you're more obese than me. =O

Dime
Aug 18, 2003, 10:45 PM
I'm fucking 130.

ABDUR101
Aug 18, 2003, 11:17 PM
On 2003-08-18 20:45, Dime wrote:
I'm fucking 130.

Damnit Dime, you ruined a perfect time to make a point...thank you.

I was 105.7 lbs last week.

oooo, ok, one less possible obese person, come on now, out with your weights everybody.

As for the obesity problem. Hasn't there always been that? More so, is it because of lack of excercise, or due to what is being eaten?

I never ate much or went out and did much excercise, so I'm not sure. I guess everyone is just eating either the wrong things, or good home cooking.

...or good fast food. o_o

Dime
Aug 19, 2003, 12:09 AM
It's due to the large portions of foods, basically we eat more than we should. And more of the bad stuff as well.

105 is a bit underweight how tall are you?

Obscenity
Aug 19, 2003, 12:14 AM
On 2003-08-18 21:17, ABDUR101 wrote:

On 2003-08-18 20:45, Dime wrote:
I'm fucking 130.

Damnit Dime, you ruined a perfect time to make a point...thank you.

I was 105.7 lbs last week.

oooo, ok, one less possible obese person, come on now, out with your weights everybody.

Up until a few months ago, I weighed more than twice as much as you. I'm down to 195 now.

_Sinue_
Aug 19, 2003, 12:48 AM
They're starting some new thing at work now cause of the obesity problem. At the company meeting, they called out two of our bosses and said that we'll get a bonus if they loose a certain amount of pounds.. and then we each get excess if we sign up for their plan and loose weight ourselves. After the meeting, they took everyone out to get Ice Cream Sundays. = /

(An yeah, that might seem nice.. but it's a rarity and hardly covers how bad they a ****ing us payroll wise by eliminating Overtime and then expecting us to "Work until the job is done")

Anyhow, I dunno why I'm even obese. I weight like 180 even though I only eat at work. Two sandwiches from the vending machine and a few of those gummi strawberry fruit snacks. Probly all those years of drinking caffene laced Pop and Ice Tea and taking Stacker 3's (concentrated Ephedrine) destroyed what little bit of metabolism I had.

Bleh

Reenee
Aug 19, 2003, 12:58 AM
I got a verb:

Outsmart. As in, outsmart the Verb bastards at their own game.

Damn kids. Who the hell do they think they are!?

I'm alternating in the range of 130-135, and I don't change my diet. People, it only takes a bit of starving and eating less of what you normally eat.

Duh.

shifter
Aug 19, 2003, 01:02 AM
i a skinny 139, and love it. as for the weight problem, i spelled it out a little of it earlier and Dime also hit on it(the thread), but also i think that its because are PE classes are now all about teaching that every ones a winner, instead of constant compatition. my PE classes were all about splitting up the class and having us duke it out. i guess that its really the parents at fault, for 1: not kicking there kids off the tv/pc/game and outside, 2: for babbing them too much, what they dont want to do, they dont do, and 3:blaming others for what the screwed up.

_Sinue_
Aug 19, 2003, 04:35 AM
I always skipped my PE class so I could go to the Computer Lab and play DOOM 2 & Rise of the Triad deathmatches. The only time I ever had the motivation to do ANYTHING in that class, was my Senior year (which I didn't skip) and only because there were a few other seniors in there with me and our teacher let us beat up on the Freshmen. There was this one REALLY fat kid I always to run him down when we were doin laps around the gym. I told him if I ever caught him I was gonna shove his head in the toilet and make him lick the bowl clean.

Needless to say He passed the class.

Jkid
Aug 19, 2003, 07:52 AM
The public service campaign is just wasting money & time IMO for these three reaons:
1)Kids are getting fat because it their parents fault
2)Some children can't even go out because their parents might have to work late.
and
3)Some of the neighborhoods that the children live are dangerous.(eg gang violence,non-exsitant playgrounds)

So thats why this canpgain will fail,plain and simple.

Shattered_weasel
Aug 19, 2003, 07:56 AM
We should make a campaign called

Verb: Its what you shouldn't do

shifter
Aug 19, 2003, 09:14 AM
[quote]
On 2003-08-19 05:52, Jkid wrote:
The public service campaign is just wasting money & time IMO for these three reaons:
1)Kids are getting fat because it their parents fault
2)Some children can't even go out because their parents might have to work late.
and
3)Some of the neighborhoods that the children live are dangerous.(eg gang violence,non-exsitant playgrounds)

So thats why this canpgain will fail,plain and simple.

i have some serious doughts about that, a got a cousin who is a lot havier than i was at that age. hes on a little lueage(cant spell)team amd from what i saw when i was still there, want out side on a regular basis. he does live in a bad neighborhood but that doesnt seem to stop him from going out. he is, in my opionon, realy addicted to games, he plays as much as i do now. its sad cause his mom doesnt do much to disapline(already said i cant spell) him at all also.
i think that any kind of genetic thing about people who are naturally fat is crap, how many kids growin did u see were fat, and how many now?

Garanz2
Aug 19, 2003, 12:07 PM
The weight problem in america has already spiralled out of control because of fatty foods, lack of excercise, and sheer laziness, and now the same thing is happening here in england.

Simple test: If you go into a medium-large town in england or america, and just take a quick look around, I GUARANTEE you will see at least 1 fat person, usually in clothes several sizes too small *cringe*

I'm only a kid but i make sure i have lots of excercise, and when i go to bed, i dream of macdonalds burning to the ground simply because one of their oil-pumped burgers caught fire.

Jkid
Aug 19, 2003, 12:23 PM
If some people and if those people are adults,want to get fat live doing so.That's their choice,thats their decision and they should not blame companies like McDolands for making them fat because of their food.

SundryKnives
Aug 19, 2003, 01:00 PM
What are you talking about? "Look around and you will see 1 fat person" Im looking around and ALL I see is fat people. No seriously North Dakota has the largest per capita obese people in the nation lol. I'm 175-180 lbs and 6'0 so I fall in the ideal weight catagory for my sex age and height. So Im not over weight, now HEALTH is a diffrent story lol.

ABDUR101
Aug 19, 2003, 05:44 PM
On 2003-08-18 22:09, Dime wrote:
105 is a bit underweight how tall are you?

I'm roughly 5'6" or 5'8". I am underweight, as I've been all my life. It's not a matter of not having the food available or not eating enough, there has always been food and I've always eaten until I'm full, just a high metabolism.

I see people complaining about being 130lbs and so on, or gaining two or three lbs and it just runs a smirk on my face. Alot of people make an issue out of afew lbs, seems like a drama plea.

My 13 year old nephew gets hounded alot by his mom for being over-weight, but he's taller than me and weighs abit more.

The whole obese situation is abit funny, to see it from different views.

NKOTB
Aug 19, 2003, 07:47 PM
I don't know which state has the fayyest people, but Houston has been scientifically proven to be the fattest city.

When I taught Elementary PE classes, I made damn sure the kids knew there were some winners and some losers. In early years, girls are better than boys at almost every physical test. So, I always squared the boys off against the girls and made fun of the boys when the lost which made them try harder. It never mattered though, the girls are always too good.

Even if I didn't have it boys V girls, I always acknowledged the winning team and told other teams they better try harder if they want to win.

I have no idea why some people get so fat. I guess they eat too much and never move around at all. Anytime I go out with friends or family I out-eat everyone including my fatass parents. I have very little fat on me though and they have what appears to be 99% fat.

Actually, I think the reason I am thin is because I never sleep and work about 12 hours a day, 7 days a week. At one point earlier this year I worked 45 days in a row like that. I don't have time to get fat.

What sucks is I start teaching on Friday, and I return to college on Monday. This upcoming 4 months will probably be the busiest time I will ever have in my life.

_Sinue_
Aug 20, 2003, 05:00 AM
That's not it. It's your metabolism, that's all. When I used to work at Maple Leaf, they only had two shifts which lasted 12 hours. Because of the longer bake cycles they had, they extended the work week to 7 days. For about 6 months I worked those 12 hours days, 7 days a week.. and I didn't loose a single pound. It's not like it was easy work either. It was basically like a sauna back there with 500 digree ovens going round the clock.. plus having to clean after every bake, fill tubs with ducks after they came out, heft 300lb carts back and forth from the freezer to the oven, lifting 30lb vats of boiling grease into a seperator.. it sucked. Great money though. My regular base pay was like 8 an hour, and I brought home almost a grand a week because of all the over time. I was also taking Stackers at the time, and rarely ever ate since I couldn't leave the oven room due to HACCP sanitation regulations. When I got home, I just slept. Catching a burger on the way to work was the most nutrition I got. If I couldn't get a burger, I just stole a duck and sat on top of the ovens and ate it.

And by the way - that kind of attitude you had is the exact same one my PE teacher had. He was one of major reasons I quit going to Gym class altogether.

Cannibal-Snowman
Aug 20, 2003, 05:50 AM
Last time I checked my weight, it was around 150, and I'm only 14. The best thing is, I don't even look fat! I mean, I do an average amount of physical activity. Now that school has started, I'm doing ALOT of physical activity (Gym, Marching Band, etc).
I'm pretty sure my weight has gone down (my mom said I looked skinnier).

Yep...that's it.

bordering
Aug 20, 2003, 11:47 AM
whoa... 105 is really skinny for an adult male at that height. my husband is 6'00" and 150some lbs, and my girls often tease me saying he'd be super hot if he just muscled up a bit (and got a tan, poor thing is lily white).

anyway, i myself am 5'00" (half east indian SHU UP, besides small girls are cute) and 107 lbs, or so says the scale at the gym... maybe they calibrate it higher so you feel compelled to go more? at this height and weight, i'm not skinny but i'm sure as hell not fat. i'm what random guys on the street so often refer to as "BAM BAM BAM". jerks. i hate going outside alone.

anyway, yea... people are getting fatter. it's scary. not just for aesthetic reasons, for health reasons as well. it's just that cheap food is unhealthy. and cheap, easy to make or fast food is what most people eat. you almost HAVE to be in a higher econmoic bracket to eat well and have the time for regular exercise. seeing that, kids tend to emulate their parents (even though they hate to think they do). so kids are spending more time sitting around doing things that don't involve any physical exertion. it seems, that once you start down the road of obesity, it's REALLY hard to turn back.

i do think that individual metabolism plays a role. some people can live of McDonald's sit around, do nothing and not get fat. others can TRY to eat well and exercise and still be fat.

the only real reason for why thin is as attractive as it is is because it's -easier- for the affluent to maintain that image. back when food was difficult to come by in the middle ages and before, fat (or at least not stick thin) was what was most attractive.

but the health concerns are the scary thing to me. obviously, i know people who are overweight (i am an american heh), and the medical ramifications are worrying.

commercials though... won't do a damn thing and are a waste of money probably.

NKOTB
Aug 20, 2003, 11:17 PM
On 2003-08-20 03:00, _Sinue_ wrote:
And by the way - that kind of attitude you had is the exact same one my PE teacher had. He was one of major reasons I quit going to Gym class altogether.

That's right, blame others and dodge responsibility.

Shattered_weasel
Aug 20, 2003, 11:42 PM
im 6'2" and 225 pounds and im only 15. Yes im a little bit...chunky. But i did work out and tad muscular. And i am whoever you say i am and if i wasnt then why would you say i am.............

_Sinue_
Aug 21, 2003, 05:02 AM
You can delude yourself into thinking that the approach you right one, but the truth is that there is no "Right Way". Some people you have to do that to and they will respond to it, some people will balk at it and refuse to cooperate. I balked, and I wouldn't put up with it. When we got a new gym teacher my senior year, I had absolutely no problems with passing the class despite him repeating the exact same cirriculum as the previous teacher.

But then again, what do I know. I'm just a "Looser" right? Well then that's fine by me, because I revel in it now. I'm proud of it. If being a "Winner" means I have to adopt that sort of a attitude, then you can have it.

Firocket1690
Aug 21, 2003, 07:31 AM

parents are evil !!!1

"you HAVE to finish you beef ____ !!" (forgot WTF it's called)

I hate eating.

I usually try for the minimal food intake, as I've been trying to put off a few lbs.

I'm about 6'4 and 147 lbs

my dad (5"10, 295lb) thinks I'm underweight
and usually forces whatever he can into me
typical resturant: "damn it, you're embarrassing me!
now hurry up and finish your xxxx" - my dad

for some weird reason, fat people (no offence) have a different point of view for what's considered fat. "295lbs isn't fat, it's muscle!!" - my dad

I mean... an avg person would usually think those models (celebrities) are just slightly skinny, and rather sexy

and the rather "heavier" people would think differently
"WTF?! 97 lbs and 6"0?!!! insanity!!" -my dad