PDA

View Full Version : Oh my god...

Asuka_chan
Aug 20, 2003, 07:44 PM
Today a friend told me that her teacher had told her that the sky is blue because of the ocean's reflection. Now tell me, is that the stupidest thing you've ever heard? The ocean appears blue because of the sky's reflection. We live in a screwed up world indeed.

Bit
Aug 20, 2003, 07:48 PM
What Grade is this in?

This is almost as bad when a teacher told me Christopher Columbus discovered America.

Asuka_chan
Aug 20, 2003, 07:50 PM
Going into grade 10.

Bit
Aug 20, 2003, 07:51 PM
..Wow

Goes to show what kind of people we're letting teach.

Asuka_chan
Aug 20, 2003, 07:54 PM
You can say that again. Incidentally, this teacher had graduated high school a the age of 16. *twilight zone music*

LollipopLolita
Aug 20, 2003, 08:14 PM
Actually, the color of the sea varies from deep blue to green or gray, and it depends on several things. The sea will and does reflect the sky, so it will always be brighter and bluer when the sky is cloudless; and grayer when there is a lot of heavy cloud cover. The color also depends on what's in the water. In tropical waters where there is very little planktonic life (relative to higher latitudes like off New England) the sea is much clearer (you can see farther underwater because there isn't plankton obstructing the light), and also bluer. This is because phytoplankton give the sea a green color; that's why the sea is much nmore likely to be green off New England and in other places where there's a lot of productivity - because there's lots of lots of plankton in the water.

So the sea reflects the sky, but the sky also refracts the sea, and blue light is more easily refractable and has a alonger wavelength than other colors such as red. Because of this most light refracted back is blue. Blue will reach your eyes more and faster than a color let's say red, and this is why when you're underwater, everything seems blue.

And columbus discovered the Americas. People just confused it with America.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LollipopLolita on 2003-08-20 18:18 ]</font>

Allos
Aug 20, 2003, 08:16 PM
Guntz,I just realized that your from Florida! I'm from Florida too! Hell, you might be living across the street from me! It practically writes itself, think of the headlines....

TWO NEIGHBORS MEET IN ONLINE FORUMS-BURN WORLDS' SUPPLY OF PANTS

Bit
Aug 20, 2003, 08:18 PM
<---- Is Bit. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

We just have the same Avatar now. Confusing? A little.

Allos
Aug 20, 2003, 08:22 PM
Oh.....whenever I see that avatar I think it's Guntz. I think I'll go bask in my stupidity. And the pants thing, never happened. Kapeesh?

And I live in....Berlin. Thats right. Berlin.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Allos on 2003-08-20 18:25 ]</font>

Asuka_chan
Aug 21, 2003, 10:46 AM
On 2003-08-20 18:14, LollipopLolita wrote:
Actually, the color of the sea varies from deep blue to green or gray, and it depends on several things. The sea will and does reflect the sky, so it will always be brighter and bluer when the sky is cloudless; and grayer when there is a lot of heavy cloud cover. The color also depends on what's in the water. In tropical waters where there is very little planktonic life (relative to higher latitudes like off New England) the sea is much clearer (you can see farther underwater because there isn't plankton obstructing the light), and also bluer. This is because phytoplankton give the sea a green color; that's why the sea is much nmore likely to be green off New England and in other places where there's a lot of productivity - because there's lots of lots of plankton in the water.

So the sea reflects the sky, but the sky also refracts the sea, and blue light is more easily refractable and has a alonger wavelength than other colors such as red. Because of this most light refracted back is blue. Blue will reach your eyes more and faster than a color let's say red, and this is why when you're underwater, everything seems blue.

And columbus discovered the Americas. People just confused it with America.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LollipopLolita on 2003-08-20 18:18 ]</font>

Yes, but I was speaking in general. But this teacher had said that the sky was blue because of the OCEAN's reflection.

Valleo
Aug 21, 2003, 11:50 AM
Yes well put very simply, thats pretty much the reason why the sky is blue. It has to do with light and the sky and ocean reflecting off each other, like Lolita said. Just because she didnt give the full scientific explanation, doesnt make her statement wrong. For the most part, your teacher was right.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Valleo on 2003-08-21 09:56 ]</font>

Asuka_chan
Aug 21, 2003, 12:17 PM
...no, she wasn't. Water is CLEAR. There is nothing blue in the ocean. There is green plant life, yes, which is why the ocean can appear green. But the ocean is not blue by itself. If you go to the ocean and take a handful of water, it may seem green-tinged. But no blue.

Valleo
Aug 21, 2003, 12:22 PM
Youre missing the point. Its not reflection as in a mirror image, its the reflection of the sunlight off the ocean that gives the sky its color.

Asuka_chan
Aug 21, 2003, 12:28 PM
Yes, BUT. This teacher had said that the sky was blue because of the ocean. She had thought that the ocean was blue itself.

Valleo
Aug 21, 2003, 12:32 PM
On 2003-08-20 17:44, Asuka_chan wrote:
Today a friend told me that her teacher had told her that the sky is blue because of the ocean's reflection. Now tell me, is that the stupidest thing you've ever heard? The ocean appears blue because of the sky's reflection. We live in a screwed up world indeed.

Ok sorry, you hadnt indicated that in your first post. From this it looks like she said what I did more or less, but if I misunderstood I apologise.

Asuka_chan
Aug 21, 2003, 12:38 PM
No, it's okay. I should have mentioned it.

Octavian
Aug 21, 2003, 09:52 PM
The ocean will always appear blue from far away because blue light has the ability to travel farther through reflective things like the ocean then other lights do, that is why the ocean appears blue. the actual water is clear, and things living in it may cause it to appear green or other colors up close. The sky isnt blue because of the ocean in anyway.

UltimateEnigma
Aug 22, 2003, 12:36 AM
wow Lolita...you are/were defenitly in the honor track of science class o_0

_J
Aug 23, 2003, 06:10 AM
Jesus Christ...they teach some totally useless crap in education. Look at what you people are left debating, after being "educated" - the worst part is, people in general will respect you more if you have a piece of paper saying you learned vast amounts of inpractical/useless information....humans. *rolls eyes*

ABDUR101
Aug 23, 2003, 10:39 AM
On 2003-08-23 04:10, _J wrote:
humans. *rolls eyes*

No, I beleive this would fall into the "people" category. It's a different class, which doesn't include all of humanity. To roll your eyes at humanity, you'd be a hypocrite because you'd be bunched in with it. "People" can be a certain group that have a certain way of thinking about things.

Monomate
Aug 23, 2003, 02:21 PM
On 2003-08-23 08:39, ABDUR101 wrote:

On 2003-08-23 04:10, _J wrote:
humans. *rolls eyes*

No, I beleive this would fall into the "people" category. It's a different class, which doesn't include all of humanity. To roll your eyes at humanity, you'd be a hypocrite because you'd be bunched in with it. "People" can be a certain group that have a certain way of thinking about things.

yes but _J is above all humanity, and therefore cannot be guilty of Hypocrisy...(oh my god...think of the consequences...)

ah...i crack me up...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Monomate on 2003-08-23 12:21 ]</font>

Gestiv
Aug 23, 2003, 05:37 PM
Go to a private school... or don't ever ask that teacher something again.

Sagasu
Aug 23, 2003, 05:58 PM
You listen to your teahcer!?!?!?

Asuka_chan
Aug 23, 2003, 06:21 PM
Of course not. I would never believe something so blantantly stupid.

Gestiv
Aug 23, 2003, 06:31 PM
Easy to see that.

_J
Aug 24, 2003, 08:37 PM

Err ...Judges??? *EHHHHH!!!*

I feel QUITE certain that Auska is a mammal, a human. If I meant HUMANITY, I would say HUMANITY.

Also, needless to say that rolling your eyes at people would be exactly the smae as rolling your eyes and humanity or humans - in this context they mean exactly the same thing. I was rolling my eyes at Auska and humans in general, because as I said - "education" is like that the world over. And no it doesn't make me a hypocrite - it's obvious I am nothing like Auska or any of you, I am simply the same species.

yes but _J is above all humanity, and therefore cannot be guilty of Hypocrisy...(oh my god...think of the consequences...)

ah...i crack me up...

You also seem to having trouble grasping logic and the notion of context I see. And yes, I would say in many ways I am better than you. But of course, even children like you will have their talents and flaws - like everyone else. Oh, and no. That wasn't funny.

Reenee
Aug 24, 2003, 09:10 PM
*pauses farting with his hands*

Eh? Huh? What'd you say?

Soukosa
Aug 24, 2003, 09:33 PM
I heard that the sky is blue due to all the colors of the spectrum passing through but that shade of blue. And, no, I didn't hear this from a teacher at school, I learned quite sometime ago not trust them. Science Teacher: "Blood is blue and it instantly turns to red when it comes in contact with the air." Right...

Inu_Ranma
Aug 25, 2003, 02:07 AM
As to one person being above another. I believe that's a fallacy people hold to make themselves feel better.
As to private schools. There's a lot you don't learn there, believe it or not, that you may be able to learn in public schools. The foremost of these is how to interact with other people.
I'm not in High School anymore, but I personally enjoyed it. Maybe it's just your frame of mind, those of you who ignore teachers and cheat on tests to get out?
Here's a tip from an educator. High School, Middle School, and Elemtary School are not there for any specific purpose except for to teach their denizens two very important abilities. The first of these abilities, which most fail in dismally, is the ability to learn. Anybody who tells you that you should stop learning after high school and get a job right away probably has no idea to write a letter, tell how fast his or her car is accellerating (unless this person happens to be a mechanic) or even how to type well enough to be almost any use in a modern, urban job. This is because High School and the previous institutes of not-quite-high learning are there to set up the student for college so that the student can immediately start learning at a much more rapid pace. This is why language and science classes in college progress at roughly three times the rate of their High School alternates. The second purpose of lower learning is to prepare the student, in case he or she does not know how to learn properly, to interact with other people, be they similar temperment or otherwise. They halfway succeed at this, the failing being in the fact that they still promote closed thinking and prejudice in many areas of the US and this tends to lead to such problems as racism and sexism later on in life.

Anyway. That was my self-important rant for the day. I don't think I inadvertently insulted anybody...