PDA

View Full Version : Do you think Rares are actually worth using?

Zero101
Feb 18, 2001, 03:45 PM
I have been on a quest to get as many rare weapons as possible lately... spent a lot of time in the offline Hard Mines and Ruins. What I have discovered though is that the rares weapons really aren't all that great (imho). Sure, they look cool... but are they really that much more powerful than a good normal weapon?
How many of you actually use rare weapons as your main weapon? Do you really think the rares are all they are cracked up to be?

Twinsen
Feb 18, 2001, 04:09 PM
Yes, most of the more common rares are pretty much garbage. But the lesser common specials are pretty nice. Such as the Dragon Slayer, Chain Sawd, and Durandal are all much better than regular photon weapons. I'll bet with the Delsabre's Sheild, the Delsabre's Sword would be really nice also. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_smile.gif

JJ
Feb 18, 2001, 05:44 PM
I just bought myself a Battle Verge http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_smile.gif. And i think this has to be the only Special Force Weapon thats worth it. What other weapon can half enemies HP? Too bad im scared to use this online cause someone might take it. I might just have to leave it 'till i get to a very very high lv.

Cree
Feb 18, 2001, 05:47 PM
Eventually it all doesn't matter. The harder to find specials ARE better in most cases, but it won't be long at all before your atp reaches 999 and then all weapons are pretty much the same. The only reason past this point to have rares is for collecting them and just because they look cool and are fun to play with.

KarnaJ
Feb 18, 2001, 05:50 PM
Go ahead and use it online, if someone takes it come here and post, I'll give you one, I found like 5 on a run through ruins v.hard. It never seems to wanna halve hp for me, but I do like the looks of the staff, and since I mostly use magic anyway, looks are about all that's important, lol. Anyone know of a rare staff or whatever the battle verge is that steals tp? I need one of them.

JJ
Feb 18, 2001, 05:59 PM
I havent seen a Special Weapon that steals TP. It would be cool not having to go back to get fluids always. I have a question for u. Do u think the Battle Verge is the best Force weapon?

Twinsen
Feb 18, 2001, 06:21 PM
Your ATP is really higher than 999, it just doesn't display it. I'm at 999 with almost any weapon now and I hit strong for about 260 with my Dragon Slayer, but when I use Shifta 14, I hit for 360 strong, so don't think that when you get to 999 ATP, it's all the same. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_wink.gif

Glider
Feb 18, 2001, 06:45 PM
My ATP is 999, and I did 0 damage to Dark Falz on very hard.

Also some people are forgeting about photon energy. I have a blade dance that has a 40% increase on forest. It hits twice and on a strong attack I do 400+ damage each hit.

Lord_Ariakas
Feb 18, 2001, 06:51 PM
I've found that most force rares suck, battle verge is the best one i've seen. Your better off to get a soul or mind gun. Since i got my Mind Railgun I never use fluids anymore except on bosses.

Heero_Yuy
Feb 18, 2001, 07:31 PM
I got 1 of them someone traded it to me for a buster. He didn't want to have an item he couldn't use and i still can't use it, it is bananas.

JJ
Feb 18, 2001, 07:57 PM
Yea but forces got alot more TP then you heh. Im lv52 with 900 TP so.. mind railgun would be useless.

Pilferr
Feb 18, 2001, 08:11 PM
I have 4 "machinegun" type weapons, all normal guns (gattlings etc..) that are strong against one of the types of monsters you'll find. Only "rare" i use is a double sabre, and only then because it steals TP (also use it when helping others level since i dont outright kill everything in one "volly" with a machinegun).

Zipp0
Feb 18, 2001, 10:12 PM
Somebody was asking what weapon steals TP... Thats easy.. The Double saber.

It steals 35 tp every hit.. And it hits around 7-8 times in a 3-hit combo

KarnaJ
Feb 18, 2001, 10:22 PM
Actually, it hits 6 times in a combo, pretty nice, but if you get a mind repeater or similar it hits more, so you can steal more tp. The frying pan also steals tp, and just looks stylish while you're at it.

Zero101
Feb 19, 2001, 02:19 AM
Ok, I have seen a lot of Force and Ranger weapons that you guys seem to like... but anything for a Hunter?
My Bardhys +20 (which has a bonus 30% against all creature types) is still kicking muuuuch more @$$ than any of the "Rare" items I have found so far.
Speaking of which... I find a "rare" weapon like every 15 seconds now on V. Hard mode. It's kind of ridiculous.

SuperSubZero
Feb 19, 2001, 07:40 AM
My RAmar has been having a field day with his Visk*235+9, so far it's the highest attack-power weapon he can use, and I haven't found anything better. I kinda wish I would, I got freakin' grinders of all varieties all clogged up in my inventory.

-SSZ

KarnaJ
Feb 19, 2001, 07:46 AM
You know zero, if you just get your bank full of special weapons you can start handing em out to me, you don't even need to identify em, I'll save ya the cash... lol

sengson
Feb 19, 2001, 08:12 AM
i only use those that has attributes on em.
especially with multiple hits.
how about u guys?

Zero101
Feb 19, 2001, 12:15 PM
Thanks KarnaJ.... that is awfully nice of you http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_razz.gif lol

SuperSubZero
Feb 19, 2001, 01:13 PM
I found a sucky rare today, after clobbering poor De Rol Le on hard I got the Parasite Wear armor. I can't use it yet, and I probably won't want to. Aside from the HP drop, it has no slots! I have 3-slot armor now and I've got decent things for them (nice +28 evade is one).

Retired my backup weapon, the DB Saber+9 today, swapped it for a nice Gladius which I bumped up to +10.

Hey if anyone sees me online just say you're from here and if you want a 'virgin' mag or a monogrinder or a scape doll or something I have a bunch of all these things, one to a customer, no charge.

-SSZ (L52 RAmar)

Vanse
Feb 19, 2001, 04:35 PM
i use my metoer smash most of the time, cept i use crush bullet +35% machines in the mines, and i use a db saber +45 dark against dark falz. meteor smash sucks a ton of TP but i find it easier to just kill the monsters w/ hard attacks and then click on my difluid button http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_smile.gif

agent37
Feb 20, 2001, 12:34 PM
maybe I'm cheap, but I just stick to the mechguns/assaults/repeaters.

The nice range, ability to hit anything airborne, and the 9 (technically 1http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_cool.gif hits per combo are quite alluring features, seeing as though one combo pretty much kills anything, and still can keep you a decent distance away to take everything else. And if you line 'em up correctly, you can distribute the damage so that as soon as one baddie goes down, you start on the next, not letting any shots go to waste in your combo.
the only thing about them is the accuracy on the stong attacks, but a volley of the normal attack does the job most of the time, and may God have mercy on anything that gets past my normal, cause I get 100% strong accuracy on anything close enough for me to give 'em both barrels pointblank

huh, what were we talking about?

Oh. I was just mentioning about how cheap I was with guns....

my point was the only special's I've gotten are the damn pan, a hard-earned photon claw, and a delsaber's buster, and I'm not impressed. (and especially depressed because i'll never get to use 'em online... damn me and my import copy of PSO!)

[addsig]

<font size=1>[ This message was edited by: agent37 on 2001-02-20 09:40 ]</font>

Danderdag
Feb 20, 2001, 02:12 PM
Repeaters? hahahaha. They're merely for show, in case you didn't notice you'll do more damage with a GOOD weapon. 1 volley of fire usually kills anything you're fighting if you're solo anyway. 2 strong hits if you've got a good weapon.

DCKaz
Feb 20, 2001, 03:27 PM
Well yes and no I suppose.. I tend to agree my railguns rock repeaters, for example.

My simple railgun was outdoing a havok +9 repeater I had. That said when fighting weaker enemies.. *sometimes* it was better.. but you lost range.. and only rather close did it do the true 'mow'em down'.

But for specials.. I'm guessing I'll go to a Mind gun of the repeater variety for the multiple volleys and see if it's worth it. I still have yet to find a gun where the special attack is worthwhile, or the 'effect' if not requiring a special, happens much if at all.

Be interesting to find out what drives the regularity of specials on weapons.. [technique] luck, dexterity/ata, atp, something else..

DCKaz

Remick
Feb 20, 2001, 05:24 PM
Master Repeater +20, I have one of those, actually it was just a master repeater. I pumped 20 grinders in to it. I do 80dam per hit with like 20 hits or more in a combo kills everything in one volley except bosses. If I use the heavy attack im getting 160 damage per hit. It's the only mechgun I have but it can clear a room on hard like there is no tommarrow. The damage you dish out has to do with your ata and atp so they higher they are the more damage a good mechgun will do.
im lvl 50 Hucast and I use that and my drain gladius + 4 and they work great. I can hit creatures like pan arms with gladius using special attack and get 60+ hit points back per hit. They can't kill me. Used it on the caves boss last night on hard and I could heal faster then he could hurt me, Plus dish out some good damage with special 60 per hit but if I use heavy attack I do 260+ per hit.
Use monogrinders on your repeaters to take them up to +20 and gladius's up to +9 you wont be disapointed.
Thanks
Remick

Pilferr
Feb 20, 2001, 05:30 PM
Er, I love my repeaters as well, have 2 repeaters (one is 40vs native 30vs a.beast the other is 40vs machine 35vs dark). So dmg isnt a problem. With high luck I have a ton of crits so am usually doing 120-200dmg on normal hits, and at level 81 with maxed ata i rarely miss (even with strong attack). Vs 2nd boss = dead on the first latch onto the boat. 3rd boss dead without even having to move out of the starting position on the 2nd form ..and thats on vhard.. Plus theres no risk going into melee range.

Samuel-Vimes
Feb 20, 2001, 06:54 PM
A good Hunter rare Melee Weapon is the S-Beat Blades that is worth using. It does very good damage and its special attack can kill an enemy with a single strike.

Pollo_loco
Feb 20, 2001, 07:17 PM
The frying pan also steals TP. Plus, it just looks awesome.

Zero101
Feb 20, 2001, 09:56 PM
I have a pair of S-beat's blades... they are definitely pretty, but I don't like having to:
a.) get that close to an enemy, and
b.) only being able to hit one enemy at a time

I think I will stick to my Berdys +20 for the time being. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_smile.gif

Samuel-Vimes
Feb 20, 2001, 10:58 PM
--------------------------------------------
I have a pair of S-beat's blades... they are definitely pretty, but I don't like having to:
a.) get that close to an enemy, and
b.) only being able to hit one enemy at a
time
--------------------------------------------
True, with an S-Beat's blades, you do need to get in close to an enemy, but I have seen my S-Beat's Blades strike more than 1 enemy provided that they are packed in close together. Probably because my lvl 74 Hucast has about 600 hp, 400+ def, maxed out power, and because I have good teammates is why I am not worried about getting up close and personal when I have to. However, I do like to use my Soul Eater when I need to clear a crowd.

agent37
Feb 20, 2001, 11:26 PM
Really, people have had good experiences with railguns? I guess the range/accuracy on the strong attack is nice, but other than that, they're not that appealing to me. I usually take a repeater and a sword weapon du jour, and haven't really needed anything else (sure, hella stuff is wasting space in my inventory, but I don't really have a call for them)

By the way, what pray tell is a "good" weapon; Please enlighten me. Someone said 2 strong hits from such a good weapon kills anything, but I'm pretty much to the point where 2-3 normal gun attacks does the same, without risking melee range.

I'm open to using other things, but haven't found anything worth changing up for