PDA

View Full Version : WTF??? PSO language filter disigners= @#$% (turd is censored

Symbios
Aug 31, 2003, 08:37 PM
ok there are some words that just deserve censoring, but wtf is up with censoring the following:

jew (omg its a religion does st not like jews?)
--- (wtf?? doesnt this stand for japanese??)
turd (omg they might as well censor stupid)
idiot (see above)
sophomore (omg thats just lame.)
saturday (also very stupid)

*edit by Abdur*
Just took out offensive term.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ABDUR101 on 2003-08-31 21:13 ]</font>

Shadow82
Aug 31, 2003, 09:43 PM
--- and Jew are considered rascist remarks.I mean,most just say it cuz saying the whole freakin thing takes too long,but whatever,soccer moms would be offended.About that sophomore thing,that is dumb seeing as how you can say the word "---",and the word "ass" if you just add a punctuation at the end.Real good ST,atta way to be on the ball.

*edit by Abdur*
Took out offensive terms. JP is an abbreviation for Japanese, the other is a slang term used offensively.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ABDUR101 on 2003-08-31 21:14 ]</font>

Wewt
Aug 31, 2003, 10:40 PM
On 2003-08-31 19:43, Shadow82 wrote:
--- and Jew are considered rascist remarks.
You know, I found that funny. Words that are considered as racist remarks against a country and a religion.

*edit by Abdur*
Took out offensive word in quote.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ABDUR101 on 2003-08-31 21:15 ]</font>

pixelate
Aug 31, 2003, 10:49 PM
No idea why, but moop is censored.

ABDUR101
Aug 31, 2003, 11:13 PM
It's always been like this, no surprise.

And don't use the offensive words on the forum people, aye.

Shadow82
Aug 31, 2003, 11:31 PM
What's dago?That's bleeped out.Makes saying you got an Ice Staff:Dagon sorta hard.

NKOTB
Sep 1, 2003, 02:03 AM
Dago is offensive toward Italiens

polishedweasel
Sep 1, 2003, 02:39 AM
On 2003-09-01 00:03, NKOTB wrote:
Dago is offensive toward Italiens

So is misspelling "Italian" http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Shimarisu
Sep 1, 2003, 03:55 AM
This is dumb. We need to start getting more mature about words, they are only really offensive in a certain context and if we can be mature about it then they are no longer going to be offensive.

I know I can't say the 'N' word here either, but that word is a case in point. Black people themselves started to use this as an ironic word in their pop culture - notice how blacks are now practically the only people to use this word? I do understand why this one is censored, because it has in the past been a terrible slur - it's just not so much anymore and this has resulted from black people being defiant about it.

JP instead of the J word for Japanese too. Here in the UK, the three letter variation has never really been a bad word. Importers have used it on Japanese games as an abbreviation for country of origin, much like Brit. = British. Nobody ever seems to take offense.

I find it ironic that I can't say such words on this forum, but I can say for example, spic. That is an offensive word for a Spanish person. What I am saying here is a statement, so I am not using it in an offensive context, and I hardly think my boyfriend (whose family is Spanish) is going to be terribly offended by me making that statement.

The ones on PSO I don't understand are...

Gay, as in "My friend is gay." I can't say that word without putting a period in or after it. It's NOT an offensive word, unless you use it in an offensive context. I never use it in an offensive context, so it's annoying to have to think about it. Not only is this not an offensive word, it's the word of choice used by homosexuals TO DESCRIBE THEMSELVES. Its a word they chose, that they are happy with.
Just because 5 year olds have made it a 'bad' word, does not mean it should be removed from a videogame where adults are playing. And how many gay PSO players do you know? I know 2, and they are not allowed to use this word without altering it. That's stupid. And if people start becoming paranoid about the word 'gay', so that the only people using it are those who intend it as an insult, it's going to become PREDOMINATELY an insult. Is that what we want?

Jew. This is a bloody religion!

Negro. I can say Caucasian, but I can't say Negro? When did this word become offensive? I tried saying it the other day, when I said, factually, to my friend "You don't see so many negro characters." It blanked it out, which actually made me laugh at how paranoid ST are.

- Shimarisu

Garanz2
Sep 1, 2003, 04:32 AM
I can't believe shoot is bleeped out.

-what wep u got?
-Frzn @&?%%&er.

Weird. I know it's like an american version of damn, but words like that are everywhere. Icould say damn before I was fize. and am I disturbed? NO! ST have gone overkil on the swears.

Wewt
Sep 1, 2003, 07:01 AM
On 2003-09-01 01:55, Shimarisu wrote:
This is dumb. We need to start getting more mature about words, they are only really offensive in a certain context and if we can be mature about it then they are no longer going to be offensive.
You own. Yes you do.

Well, you have to remember some people are over-sensitive to these words. I laugh off racism, it's that pathetic, it really isn't worth my time anymore. I had to deal with it growing up in school, and I've realised that it was absolutely pointless of me to get all aggrevated over it.

Oh, ABDUR, why isn't the word "jew" an offensive word in your books?

Kent
Sep 1, 2003, 08:33 AM
On 2003-09-01 01:55, Shimarisu wrote:

Wishful thinking. Many of the morons that play PSO cannot be mature for somehow, it is beyond their intellectual capacity to know what maturity is. This is, also, true for a vast amount of people who don't play PSO as well, of course.

Zaneatron
Sep 1, 2003, 09:34 AM
yet again peoples fears of words has been the main culprit here. many words, these days, that are reguarded as offensive really have lost all meaning. they are so common in the world that no one cares anymore. if someone insults me i just wave it off, if im with friends and we insult each other its just a joke and friendly banter, theres no real offence intended.
as shimarisu pointed out most words arnt offensive on their own they need to be in the right context to be offensive, but how do u teach a computer context, MS Word has eough problems as it is so i seriously doubt ST, or anyone for that matter, could make a fully functional communication system for pso that could take into account context and any other problems our languages could throw at it, the fact is its just never going to happen.
btw pork is censord? (whats up wit dat!)

Mattoko
Sep 1, 2003, 09:48 AM
I'm not sure if online, cheese is cencored but from the above post pork & cheese is sometimes said really fast to make it sound like portugese therefore you can use that in an offensive context.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mattoko on 2003-09-01 07:49 ]</font>

monkeyfist
Sep 1, 2003, 11:12 AM
the word laid is censored

"I just #@%@ a telepipe"

ABDUR101
Sep 1, 2003, 11:19 AM
From my understanding, offensive slang terms aren't to be posted, whether you mean them in an offensive way or not.

"Jew" isn't offensive, because it's a people. The instances when someone might use it offensively(much like how Cartman uses it offensively on South Park) is very far and few between, and if we editted "Jew" out of everything, that seems abit ignorant, right? Then it would be like we were censoring those people and not the word.

Maybe I'm looking at it wrong with how I'm editting it out, based on who might be offended and the context in which I know people mis-use the word. If I am, I'll change my outlook, if not, oh well. I'm just editting it the way I see it.

And when enough people grow up with how they (mis)use these words, then the forum rules will be more laxed when it comes to them.

*edit*
oh, and yeah, "spic" is an offensive term. As well as afew others which were used.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ABDUR101 on 2003-09-01 09:20 ]</font>

Symbios
Sep 1, 2003, 01:11 PM
wtf man theres so many words that i dont even know and i for one know a lot of cuss word lol
anyone mind pm'ing me telling me wtf j*p means?

Firocket1690
Sep 1, 2003, 05:04 PM
j*p is just a short (offensive term for japanese

I think it originated form World War II
where the americans usually said stuff like
"thos bloody j**s are commin in!"
something like that ...

ever see Pearl Harbor... ?

tiltnkirby26
Sep 2, 2003, 09:07 AM
You can't say ano or pork online. I was looking for an ano rifle and every time I said it pso would cut off ano so it just said &^* rifle. The pork thing came when someone asked what we all had for dinner last night.

Symbios
Sep 3, 2003, 09:27 PM
i guess its because ano sounds like anal??? lol
poop and fart is just kiddy talk. I mean Sonic team is acting as if stupid 12 year olds would play-....(abrubtly stops)............never mind, ST owns.

Firocket1690
Sep 4, 2003, 04:53 PM
On 2003-09-02 07:07, tiltnkirby26 wrote:
You can't say ano or pork online. I was looking for an ano rifle and every time I said it pso would cut off ano so it just said &^* rifle. The pork thing came when someone asked what we all had for dinner last night.

"I found a &^* Rifle!!"

Edit:
"I found a 4N0 Rifle !!"

and about the Frozen Shooter thing ...
Americans tend to enjoy large breast pr0n and made up MANY crazy name for breasts.
"hooter" is one of them .....

I think there was another article somewhere ranting about new american resturants with "inappropiate" names, that involve female waitresses dressing in skimpy outfits to serve food to customers.
(Ex: hooters)

Symbios
Sep 4, 2003, 07:31 PM
Marica is censored. Marica is a mag....if they think is a bad word, why the hell name a item after it?

Firocket1690
Sep 5, 2003, 12:05 AM
THAT I never understood ...

I always wanted one of those darned thins too ...

I mean ... in the lobby
"I want a ^*&($(#!! NE1 got one?!"

and nobody would know WTF I was talkign about ....

OmegaLoser
Sep 6, 2003, 01:15 PM
wow. just reading this forum made me laugh more than i have in the past 3 months. LOL. crap, people are way to over sensitine. LIGHTEN UP. it almost makes me want to write every offensive term i can think of just for the hell of it. J*p, i feel stupid just for censoring this term. if you are japanese and get offended by that. well F. YOU. what if i said i was offended when people said i was white. my skin is not white. its more of a tan, or peach color. not white. people are dumb. oh wait, i guess that could be taken offensively. "dumb" refers to people who can't talk.

my message to the world. Screw you all. if i wanted to say something, i will. if you don't like it.. leave... go somewhere else. or just GET OVER IT.

for this, i envy my 2 college roomates. ****the following paragraph will contain bad "offensive word" if you don't like it...skip ahead one post or BAN ME. this is what they would say to eachother. one is Japanese (guy 1) the other is Puerto Rican (Guy 2)(spanish in my mind..but that can be debated)

guy 1 - " you dirty Puerto Rican"
guy 2 - " damn rice bowl"
guy 1 - " stupid spic"
guy 2 - " *insert random word* jap"

now this would go for a couple minutes. and neither ones cares. in fact, guy 2 has another friend and they call themselves the "hick and spic connection" people need to lighten up.

Please don't ban me. this is the Rant posts. and that was an actual quote from a conversation. my friends are awesome

OmegaLoser
Sep 6, 2003, 01:16 PM
wow, that was my biggest post so far.

Firocket1690
Sep 6, 2003, 05:29 PM
On 2003-09-06 11:15, OmegaLoser wrote:
if you don't like it...skip ahead one post or BAN ME.

Please don't ban me.

hmmm ....

*confused* .... both in same post too !

OmegaLoser
Sep 6, 2003, 06:13 PM
On 2003-09-06 15:29, Firocket1690 wrote:

On 2003-09-06 11:15, OmegaLoser wrote:
if you don't like it...skip ahead one post or BAN ME.

Please don't ban me.

hmmm ....

*confused* .... both in same post too !

ok, i don't want to be banned, but if that is the consequence for using those terms, then i accept. i will not edit my post. sorry for the confusion

Murdercall
Sep 7, 2003, 08:10 AM
I can't understand why "cola" was censored, was it mistaken for "coke"?

mimicr
Sep 7, 2003, 08:54 AM
cola?
that would be funny if...
I had some !@#$ with my pizza today.

Da__Ad__Man
Sep 7, 2003, 07:36 PM
I think when people use these words they use them becouse they get mad and spit out what ever they can to harm there marker ( person they scream at ).

Docpan
Sep 8, 2003, 12:15 PM
Oh, so it's okay to say Jew, but not Jap? Give me a break.

If you're going to edit a the post, take out all offensive terms, not just the one that offends you.

Sickening.

jt
Sep 8, 2003, 02:59 PM
ST is only tryin to cover their azzez but its funny how they put more time into what words to censor out than tryin to keep the game unhackable and glitch free pathetic isnt it? and wat the hell does ---- meen????????????????????? i dont take offense to the word nigga cause im black but if some fag in the lobby likes to keep sayin it then he can if he wants but believe i will get in his racist ass. u know what was really messed up is when someone made a symbol chat of the twin towers getting knocked down.

That person was just sick but back to the subject. You cant say shoe (hoe) u cant say pork a(jews dont eat pork but u cant say jew(s)) ST is sad in my opinion cause they released a game with more security on what you can say rather than cheating... u cant say negro WTF??? negro has never been an offensive word, a subsitute for black person or african-american.

japs is a bad word???? JAPS?? omg its just an abbreviated way of saying japanese!!!!

SONIC TEAM GET OVER UR DAM SELVES NO ONE IS GOING TO SUE U FOR ALLOWING "BAD WORDS" TO BE SAID

but hten again u gotta realize that some immature person would start sayin racial slurrs and cussin all the time in the lobby just to get on peoples nerves. ST couldnt really rely on the players to be mature enuff not to use it because some guy would just exploit it....

G G G G G G G GOO-NIT!!!

ABDUR101
Sep 8, 2003, 06:55 PM
"Jap" is an offensive slang, used more often than not. Thus, it is not allowed. If we editted "Jew" each and every time, we'd be getting harassed for somehow being against Judaism.

I'm not offended by very much at all, but there are roughly 23,000 other users, and more often than not, some of them are the ones being offended. Not negotiable, the rules have been in effect for quite a while and thats how it is.