PDA

View Full Version : What the hell is up with these gas prices?

Cynosure_Zen
Sep 4, 2003, 08:06 PM
Alright, what the fuck is up with these gas prices? I just finished filling up my tank this afternoon, and it cost me $1.85 a gallon. I thought I'd have to wait until I was fifty before I'd see gas prices at that level. What the hell is going on here?

The only guess I could come up with is that the big oil companies are making quite a profit from this price increase, and that they're raising the prices to gain more money for their industries, at the expense of the people. If this is true, I'll be so damn pissed. I feel like marching up to Exxon headquarters and giving them a piece of my mind.

What do you think is up with this?

xHIGHONLIFEx
Sep 4, 2003, 08:10 PM
here in San Diego, its $2.15... so stop crying!!! j/m... I'm also pretty sure its worse off anywhere else in the world... US is jus a bunch of bullies when it comes to oil...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: xHIGHONLIFEx on 2003-09-04 18:14 ]</font>

Guntz348
Sep 4, 2003, 08:27 PM
2.19 for ultra in connecticut, I cant run less then 93 octane in my car which runs at least 2.10 a gallon. I would really like to know up with the prices too a lot of people are thinking that the gasoline industry intentionaly jacked up the prices simply because they thought they could get away with it. Supposed to be an investigation going on about it, all I know is it better drop soon or I'm gonna have to get an electric car =/ Well that or walk, but heh that ain't gonna happen.

LollipopLolita
Sep 4, 2003, 08:30 PM

go for broke?

Moo2u
Sep 4, 2003, 08:32 PM
I think it had something to do with the huge blackout a little while back. I heard someting about it on the radio. I don't have my own set of wheels yet, so i didn't pay much attention to it.

LollipopLolita
Sep 4, 2003, 08:34 PM
blackout, broken pipelines, politics, vacations, fires, all resulting in rejected credit card charges!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LollipopLolita on 2003-09-04 18:35 ]</font>

Suppa_Buddha
Sep 4, 2003, 09:05 PM
Here in my town in IL its like $1.95 for like Ultimate(BP). I best drop down before I start driving, I have my permit now.

May
Sep 4, 2003, 09:05 PM
Here is an interesting graphic on what goes into the price of gasoline.

http://www.eia.doe.gov/pub/oil_gas/...tml/petbro.html

Another factor in the current mix of prices is the reformulated gasolines that many urban areas use for the summer. Various environmental laws mandate a different blend of gasoline in the summer, to decrease the pollution that tends to stagnate in the dense summer air.

To make matters worse, different regions use different reformulations.

You might remember a couple of years ago that the Midwest was hit by $2 per gallon prices, because the production of all of these gasoline blends for the major cities hadn't ramped up quickly enough, so there was a shortfall. The cost of retooling is also rolled into the price.

lordmikey
Sep 4, 2003, 09:16 PM
I blame Bush I think he can be the one to blame for going to war the dumbass i dont care what anyone says hes trying to kil us all just to make more money or him and his damn republican buddies(not trying to offend anyone sorry if i did)

_Sinue_
Sep 5, 2003, 12:36 AM
I think there's got to be something else to it. Just 6 short years ago, gas prices were down at about 80 cents per gallon for Primium. I was paying 65-70 cents for Unleaded. Surely they had all the costs of drilling, exporting, processing, storing, transporting, and all that back before gas prices started jumping through the roof.

The graphic in the link above doesn't show up, but I think I've seen it before. There's a graph at the pumps at our local gas station which shows where your gas dollar goes. According to that.. 1/3 of it goes to the producers. 1/3 goes to various taxes. Of the remaining 1/3, nearly 3/4 of it goes to storage and processing.. while only 1/4th of that remaining 1/3 goes to the actual retailer.

I don't quite think that's accurate, as just 30 miles to the west in city of Ft. Wayne - gas prices are at about 1.75 for unleaded whereas here it's only 1.45 for unleaded. Why do they charge more in the city? Because they can.. and people will pay it. Out in the country.. you have less customers to fight over, which drives prices down. Also take into consideration that at 1.85 per gallon, 61 cents of that is going to Taxes. Like I said, just 6 years ago.. I was paying almost that price total per gallon.

So there ya go.

Saladwood
Sep 5, 2003, 12:57 AM
cost of living, inflation, ability to hike up prices, and factors mentioned above

Reenee
Sep 5, 2003, 01:02 AM
3 more years, and we get flying cars. Don't worry.

Deathscythealpha
Sep 5, 2003, 06:53 AM
The fact that people will still pay these prices is another factor for why its so expensive. People will complain about the high prices, but when it comes to paying the money out and going without their car, paying the money out looks like a good option. Same thing with DVDS, Games, McDonalds Meals and so on.

Voodoochild
Sep 8, 2003, 03:43 PM
Here in Sweden its 2,96. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

KodiaX987
Sep 8, 2003, 04:48 PM
80 cents a litre for regular here... So for a gallon it's roughly 2.40$, translated into American dollars, it comes to something like $1.70... Yeah, that kinda fits.

But then I drive a SUV and it gulps a full tank every week just going to school and back. x.X NOW the price is high!!!

Morfos
Sep 8, 2003, 11:58 PM
I somewhat blame Bush, he should of done something about the gas prices.

polishedweasel
Sep 10, 2003, 04:51 AM
I hate gas...its really expensive...but when I think about how crappy the gas prices are, I console myself by saying "At least we don't have to fill our cars with milk."

That, my friends, would be expensive.

shifter
Sep 12, 2003, 02:46 PM
before i left for school the gas in IL. was 1.30-.40. right now at school, its 1.50-.60. it really puts a dent in a mans bank account when he has to pay $25+ for a fill up.

Saladwood
Sep 12, 2003, 04:05 PM
On 2003-09-08 21:58, Morfos wrote:
I somewhat blame Bush, he should of done something about the gas prices.

why would he if he can benefit from the high prices?

Guile
Sep 12, 2003, 06:12 PM
Hell yeah! Prices killing me..I don't even like to go out no more.