PDA

View Full Version : meh...

hucasts_rock
Sep 6, 2003, 09:14 PM
I hate when people automatically assume that I'm the smartest kid in high school because I'm in honors classes...although I really am not all that smart...I just pay attention in class and understand what I'm being taught...I got away in world history last year with a "B" and getting "Ds" on every test because I understood the homework and didnt study...strange up until high school I did 5 minute studying before tests and aced them..but now I'm not doing so hot...in honors chemistry I have a "D" and I got a "D" on my geometry test...I feel my sophomore year is going to be the most difficult yet...

hucasts_rock
Sep 6, 2003, 09:16 PM
EDIT:thank you *insert mod name here* for moving the topic...now on with the thread!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: hucasts_rock on 2003-09-06 19:23 ]</font>

OniTatsujin
Sep 6, 2003, 09:29 PM
im a freshmen ^_^

hucasts_rock
Sep 6, 2003, 09:35 PM
heh I remember freshmen year..hardly any homework..being hated by all the upper classmen..ahh good times

OniTatsujin
Sep 6, 2003, 09:36 PM
its the opposite here, a lot of hw and the upper classmen dont care...

Reece
Sep 6, 2003, 09:58 PM
http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif^^^^^^^^
Same

Da__Ad__Man
Sep 6, 2003, 11:16 PM
IM new to high school too...i get beat up

Shattered_weasel
Sep 6, 2003, 11:20 PM
On 2003-09-06 21:16, Da__Ad__Man wrote:

<sarcasm> poor you <sarcasm>

OniTatsujin
Sep 6, 2003, 11:25 PM
lol

Da__Ad__Man
Sep 7, 2003, 08:44 PM
haha real funny

Symbios
Sep 7, 2003, 09:28 PM
On 2003-09-06 21:16, Da__Ad__Man wrote:

either they were really pissed off or you annoy them or ur just a geek. Im a freshmen but on "freshmen friday" i didnt get sprayed! ha!

klepto
Sep 7, 2003, 09:36 PM
People think your smart because your in a couple honours classes. Bull shit. Im a junior with 5 honours classes and an AP class. I get 4+ hours of homework every night. I also have soccer and a job. The top kid in my school has a 4.58 GPA. most smart people average 4.2-4-3 and I currently pull a 4.14. This is however sophmore year GPA, and since I have so many more honours classes this year, I will most likely be above a 4.45.

TheDarkRaven
Sep 7, 2003, 10:20 PM
I take the IB classes..dang...too much math..

Nai_Calus
Sep 7, 2003, 10:39 PM
I'm a Freshman, too!

...In college.

I got dismal grades all through highschool up until Senior year. Not going to a real school will help with that. Never did shit because there was never anything to do. It was the school they dumped anyone who was't 'normal' in. I was the only student who lacked a criminal record, had never been to jail, didn't smoke or do drugs and still had my virginity. Our highest-level textbook was Algebra 1/2. Yeah, one half. God. Class consisted of getting a textbook, reading it, and answering the questions. The students ranged from 13 year olds to 19 year olds, all tossed into the same three classrooms over the course of the day. There was no instruction or anything. I decided that if the school system didn't give a damn, neither did I, and never did anything. Got Cs and Ds. Except when they let me take real classes at the real highschool, where I got As. I got As in all my classes Senior year when we moved to North Carolina and they put me in a real fricking school in real classes, too. Well, I would have gotten a C in Algebra 1, but there's this wonderful state test you have to pass to pass the course. Heh. Our teacher just replaced our grades for the course with what we made on the state test if it was higher. So two Bs and a C for the three six-week periods turned into an A when I got a 98 out of a possible 99 on the test. I'm horrible at homework and schoolwork, but I test beautifully. Got a 99 on the Econ/Law state test, and a 1380 on my SAT(760 Verbal, 620 Math), which was the highest in the school. Yep, I'm a weird one.

_Sinue_
Sep 7, 2003, 11:26 PM
Hmm.. I was just the opposite.

When I was in a "Real School", I didn't do too well. Well, I could if I tried.. but I lacked the motivation to do anything. Why should I, when all my previous efforts were met in vain? I already knew everything they were teaching in first grade, so they held me back because I was bored and couldn't "Learn to sit in my seat". In third grade, I read the Illiad and the Oddesey in full prose for my book report. In fourth grade, I was reading alot of H.G. Wells novels, and won that years Young Author's contest. It wasn't until around 5th grade that I started realizing that hard work and trying to impress my teachers wasn't doing shyt for me.. so I started to slack off. Bad. Then I got a reputation for being a trouble maker and a "lost student" - even though it was obvious that when I actually applied myself with the proper motivation I could handle just about anything they threw at me. It all depended on the teacher really.. of which there were very few good ones I appreceated. I had to fight my way into Chemistry and Physics because in 3 years I still hadn't pass pre-algebra. Yet I aced those two classes. My Drama teacher extended the normal four semester course into 6 semesters because we were one of the best classes he had as a teacher. I aced typing and computer literacy, of course. Another example is when I was a freshman in Health class.. the teacher was new and "Had something to prove" I guess.. but I didn't like his attitude. I failed miserably.. and ended up retaking it my senior year.. at which time he just sit back, let me do my thing (which was usually sitting on my desk, facing away from him, talking with the other students) and I aced every single test and the class as well.

I never did homework. When I wanted to pass a class, I simply payed attention and passed it. So long as I could keep up my marks on the tests.. most teachers didn't care.

I sought out an alternitive school my senior year actually, but couldn't join because I happened to drive a friend of mine to a fight there in which she slugged some girl in the face several times with a fist full of salt and even punched her mom. Soon after that, I was expelled from High School for throwing an egg at a prep rally (hit a cheerleader in the head n_n). I was told that, only if I passed Summer School, would they let me back next year. I minded my Ps & Qs long enough.. and actually tried - getting streight A's. Then they come up and tell me I'm expelled for smoking on the premesis. Mind you they said they had confirmed eyewitness reports. I fought that expulsion (as I had 20 or so witnesses of my own vs. their 1, including many teachers, saying that I WASN'T out smoking), and found out later that the kid they actually caught was a guy by the name of Keith - who was a foot shorter than me and bald. Yet even with that evidence on hand, they still expelled me on a technicality.. I voluntarily told them that I didn't light up until I had gotten into town which was nearly a mile away. (Supposedly, you cannot smoke within a mile of a school building according to Indiana state law.) See what Honesty gets you folks?

So the next year, I went streight for AIM's Alternitive Learning Center. There, there really were no rules. You pick a course that you need, they give you a book, and you study for 3 hours a day (with smoke breaks) until you can pass their tests. Teachers were available to help you through the material (Good ones, I might add.. who actually cared and got to know their students on a personal level) but only if you asked for them. You also had to maintain a steady parttime job which acted as your "electorial credits". I ended up working full time, paying for all of my classes, and doubled up on both morning and afternoon classes. I finished up nearly two years of HighSchool credits in just one year. All the while, I maintained streight A's.. and even placed in the top 95% of students in my state on the ISTEP standardized testing.. just as I had every single year previously. (I was actually even a day and a half late taking the test and still finished before most other students)

If I were to have just taken my lumps and stuck it out in Public School.. hell I'd probly still be there. That Alternitive School, or "Half-Assed" school, was probably the best thing that ever happened to my education.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: _Sinue_ on 2003-09-07 21:33 ]</font>

Shadow82
Sep 7, 2003, 11:30 PM
On 2003-09-06 19:14, hucasts_rock wrote:
I hate when people automatically assume that I'm the smartest kid in high school because I'm in honors classes...although I really am not all that smart...I just pay attention in class and understand what I'm being taught...I got away in world history last year with a "B" and getting "Ds" on every test because I understood the homework and didnt study...strange up until high school I did 5 minute studying before tests and aced them..but now I'm not doing so hot...in honors chemistry I have a "D" and I got a "D" on my geometry test...I feel my sophomore year is going to be the most difficult yet...

Funny,I'm the exact opposite.The reason that I get bad grades in honors classes are because I'm just lazy.Top procrastinator right here.I could easily be one of the smartest at my school,everyone is borderline retarded it seems,but that's sooooo much work!

Inu_Ranma
Sep 8, 2003, 04:53 AM
On 2003-09-07 19:36, klepto wrote:
People think your smart because your in a couple honours classes. Bull shit. Im a junior with 5 honours classes and an AP class. I get 4+ hours of homework every night. I also have soccer and a job. The top kid in my school has a 4.58 GPA. most smart people average 4.2-4-3 and I currently pull a 4.14. This is however sophmore year GPA, and since I have so many more honours classes this year, I will most likely be above a 4.45.

The top kid is either...

A: taking less than 5 classes per year, average. (A 4.58 average would mean that over half of your classes are AP, and that you have straight A's at the same time. Since very few AP classes are regularly offered, (13 total, I believe, that one can access regularly without going to a private school, but it would be impossible to take them all, seeing as three of them are Spanish, Latin, and French, and one could not have more then a year of any of those three out of middle school, and could not get the foundation classes to reach those classes without lowering their GPA consequently)

B: Not telling the truth.

C: Not a math whiz.

The Valedictorian of c/o 2000 in my High School was a 4.24, and consqeuently recieved her own Science Lab, literally, at Stanford.