PDA

View Full Version : I hate people that are always looking for a scapegoat

Wewt
Sep 15, 2003, 06:19 AM
Bullshit here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3104892.stm)

A man dies, others get injured, by STUPID kids, and what do people do? Look for someone, other than the kids themselves, to blame.

Why?

Has the world become such a terrible place to live in, that people are no longer ready to take responsibility for actions?

It's so pathetic. Instead of me reading about how a 16-year-old, and a 14-year-old get themselves guns, I read about how the makers of GTA are to be sued.

I have an idea, how about somebody that lives near the lawyer, Jack Thompson, shoot him and blame Britney Spears for inciting your actions.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: WWWWWWWWWWWW on 2003-09-15 04:22 ]</font>

Kent
Sep 15, 2003, 08:11 AM
People that do that are imbeciles.

So a couple teenagers shot and killed one guy, injured another, that alone makes them deserve a long sentence. But then they decide to blame it on video games... Idiots, it's not the fault of the people who made the games, obviously it's either the fault of the people who allowed the ever-impressionable morons to get their mitts on the game itself or the teenagers who are stupid enough to imitate the game's content. If it indeed is the parent/guardian's fault, they all need to be jailed for a long time, otherwise, just the assailants.

And, of course, Penny Arcade sums up the bad parenting issue rather nicely:
http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2003/20030811l.gif

Eum
Sep 15, 2003, 08:29 AM
The lawyer was just picking an easy, beneficial target to help create a ridiculous defense. Nothing new.

The actual crime is pretty interesting, though.

"to relieve their boredom by opening fire on traffic on Interstate 40" ~ Incredibly intense boredom.

Lone_Wolf_Nasca
Sep 15, 2003, 10:34 AM
People these days are just stupid !! They screw up big time and then they blame someone else.

Zaneatron
Sep 15, 2003, 11:47 AM
i have played GTA3 on my pc for some time, and it has never made me want to go and shoot at traffic, infact i find the game hilarious and i strive to get all 6 stars. i even have fun in slow and long viehicles, mainly down to the challenge of using them as an escape viehcle, great fun.
personally, me thinks, they were lying about the gta thing, i mean, dont they know the difference between right and wrong, wtf were they doing, if they didnt know the parents are to blame as much as the children, but i think its time that they recongnised the fact they these teenagers have killed someone and injured another person. it was not a piece of plastic with a nice desigh on the top and a shiny bottom (a CD if u hadnt worked it out).
the kids should be punished, they took these actions no one else.
and finally, imo, the question begs, if they were so bored, why wernt they playing GTA?

ABDUR101
Sep 15, 2003, 01:11 PM
If you're asseninely idiotic enough to not know that going outside and unloading rounds into oncoming traffic is against the law, I'd say you prolly should'nt be doing alot of things on your own.

..and this whole "because of boredom" plea is...well lets just say they don't seem to be the brightest blinkers in the box, yeah?

"Impressionable minds" my ass.

Zaneatron
Sep 15, 2003, 01:37 PM
On 2003-09-15 11:11, ABDUR101 wrote:
If you're asseninely idiotic enough to not know that going outside and unloading rounds into oncoming traffic is against the law, I'd say you prolly should'nt be doing alot of things on your own.

..and this whole "because of boredom" plea is...well lets just say they don't seem to be the brightest blinkers in the box, yeah?

"Impressionable minds" my ass.

Well said

NKOTB
Sep 15, 2003, 01:54 PM
Wait a minute, are you trying to say you don't think people should be allowed to shoot at each other? If I can do it in games, and people rap about it, I should be able to do it.

ginko990
Sep 15, 2003, 02:08 PM
How is it the games producers responsibility? For marketing a good video game? Should they put a warning label on the video that kids should infact not kill people. Those kids are fools.

ABDUR101
Sep 15, 2003, 02:19 PM
On 2003-09-15 11:54, NKOTB wrote:
Wait a minute, are you trying to say you don't think people should be allowed to shoot at each other? If I can do it in games, and people rap about it, I should be able to do it.

Hello Devil's Advocate. =)

It's a line between reality and entertainment.

I'm a damn good driver/pilot in most games, as well as a damn good shot, but that doesn't mean I am in real life. I doubt I'd be able to do a 360 in a car like I do in Halo, only to flip on my roof, hop out without a scratch and then flip the car back over with a single hand motion.

But then I guess if you've lost your sense of reality and just perceive real life as a big game with no consequences, then sure, you're not going to care that you shot afew people. I mean, if you're under that mentality, you don't see the actual person(everything that makes up the person, their experiences, who they know, their memories, blah blah etc), you just see something to use for your own enjoyment.

So in the end, it's not the entertainment industry's fault for not creating an end all, be all line between the two, it's those directly related to those involved for not initiating enough care and respect of the difference between reality(and everything that goes with reality, such as responsibility) and entertainment.

Dangerous55
Sep 15, 2003, 03:09 PM
"I'm bored, lets go shoot people and cars."

Nobody says that, these kids HAVE to have something wrong with them before they did this. No rational human would do that.

Lede
Sep 16, 2003, 06:01 AM
They must have had it in there mind to begin with, hell i have been playing resident Evil for a while and not once do i want to go out and blow peoples head off, it's the way they act in the home its not determined by the gameu think anyone that plays pso wants to go out with swords and cut people in hopes they drop items? o please that's just retarded.

muff
Sep 16, 2003, 06:19 AM
Am I the only one thats worried that a 14year old and a 16year old managed to get a fucking rifle?

Wewt
Sep 16, 2003, 08:45 AM
On 2003-09-16 04:19, Cubis wrote:
Am I the only one thats worried that a 14year old and a 16year old managed to get a fucking rifle?

Another reason why I hate this whole situation...

BWS-1
Sep 16, 2003, 09:41 AM
On 2003-09-15 04:19, WWWWWWWWWWWW wrote:

I have an idea, how about somebody that lives near the lawyer, Jack Thompson, shoot him and blame Britney Spears for inciting your actions.

Tempting, very tempting yes ... although I don't live near that guy, gimme a fake passport, and 5000$ and I'd go kill him with my bare hands, O and I'd blame the makers of Dead or Alive 2 for the brutal teaching of Russian Martial arts ... AND Britney Spears too, just for the heck of it, I'm sure it's related in some ways and if it's not, well some lawyers will find a way so all this makes sence.

*sigh

-_-

Jkid
Sep 16, 2003, 03:47 PM
Unbeliveable....people still do that. This is one of the reasons I created the group that you see on my sig. People taht still think that media is the blame for everything. They should blame the parents, they let them play GTA3.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jkid on 2003-09-16 13:48 ]</font>

Mystil
Sep 18, 2003, 10:00 AM
One thing about me that I don't like, that I guess is a good quality to you all. Is that I take responsibility for my own mistakes. Why I hate it? Cause I can be so damn hard on myself about it. >_>

If the person really did do something wrong that I had some part of, I'm going to take his ass down with me too.

Scejntjynahl
Sep 18, 2003, 10:27 AM
Probably the parents hired that damned lawyer cuz they hate to admit the f***ed up in rearing those little demon children. What...should we blame books, magazines, radio, tv, movies, art, poetry..etc etc...for people who are just plain "evil". GTA is violent...but damn it is just a damn game...you can turn it off and the violence ends...the characters return. But in real life...there are no more "Continue"s.

starhealer
Sep 18, 2003, 03:46 PM
If, as the lawyer claims, the makers of GTA have some responsibility in this, since, you know, they made a game "marketed at children" (...-_-x), then shouldn't the manfacturer and seller of said rifle ALSO be held accountable for the death of one man and injury of another?

Oh, but wait, it doesn't stop there. Since GTA is a video game, then it must have been bought at a store! Therefore, the retailer must also be help accountable, because he sold the most evil, heinous thing to these two innocent, impressionable youths.

And we can't forget to sue Sony and Microsoft, since they are behind the consoles/PCs that GTA runs on. (If there are any other platforms, they need to be sued, too.) I mean, God forbid those coporate bastards get away with selling merchandise that have a direct link in inciting young children to open fire on a highway.

But for God's sake, don't hold the parents and children accountable. It's all the damn media's fault.

Reece
Sep 18, 2003, 06:30 PM
I wish that lame ass excuse of a Game would be banned (GTA)

Firocket1690
Sep 18, 2003, 11:43 PM
On 2003-09-15 12:19, ABDUR101 wrote:
But then I guess if you've lost your sense of reality

There ys go =)

Deathscythealpha
Sep 19, 2003, 05:02 AM
Well, its nice to see that instead of mourning for the loss of a loved one, some more people go out and try to make money off of someones death.

What a wonderful world we live in.

Miller
Sep 19, 2003, 06:09 AM
Ahhhh people still do this they never win.

Its like back in the 80s arnold schwarznegger brought out a film call commonado. Im sure you have all saw it, anyway in that he stabs some bloke with a pitchfork. Sometime later a little boy stabbed his brother with a pitchfork and his parent blamed it on the movie!! now i ask you what is a young boy doing watching a movie that is rated 18?

But on the other hand ive always never took any notice of age warnings and im fine! (now where that chain saw she looks tasty)

Firocket1690
Sep 21, 2003, 02:11 AM
http://theshadowzone.kimugroup.com/responsiblity.htm

Ness

OniTatsujin
Sep 21, 2003, 09:57 AM
wouldnt the person be too busy palying the game to go out and shoot live people? O.o
and i hate people who blame games for the violence..

starhealer
Sep 21, 2003, 06:01 PM
About the article...

I, uh, actually thought that it was well-written. And most parents don't teach their children about death at the tender age of four.

Granted, there is the pre-viewing policy that you could follow, but at the same time the woman was looking WITH her son, meaning there WAS parental guidence. It's not like he came to her and said that Mario was dead, she saw the site and berated the owners for showing such insensitive, thoughtless subjects to unsuspecting children.

And, uh, asking for a small blurb as to the content is actually rather reasonable. Much better than "Take your site down you awful awful person you!" I think that the reviewer of this email was a little biased.

Not to mention that he showed no other examples of emails that were stupid or pathetic. He claimed that this one was "tame" or whatever, but that's all. The least he could have done was shown one of the hysterical, outrageous "Oh my god your site is awful take it down now!" emails that he seemed to be ranting against.

Shattered_weasel
Sep 21, 2003, 06:16 PM
why can't all people act mature. No this is all the video games fault we must blame something else. Hell i never heard of a case of shootings like this in anywhere else (not in cluding 3rd world countries)
but how can people be so stoopid....it's sad.

as for those who don't like GTA. I thought it was pretty fun just to go crazy in a town that wasn't real and just a video game.

ChokingVictim
Sep 21, 2003, 08:06 PM
people who try to emulate games like GTA or movies like Natural Born Killers are obviously fucked up in the first place... media like movies, books, games, and music only serve to catalyze jackasses' behaviors. christ... the sane, sensible folk need not suffer for the wankers who didn't get a proper parenting.

Firocket1690
Sep 22, 2003, 09:25 PM
On 2003-09-21 18:06, ChokingVictim wrote:
people who try to emulate games like GTA or movies like Natural Born Killers are obviously fucked up in the first place... media like movies, books, games, and music only serve to catalyze jackasses' behaviors. christ... the sane, sensible folk need not suffer for the wankers who didn't get a proper parenting.

hehe

They even slapped a "Warning, don't try this at home"
all over MTV's Jackass

Mystil
Sep 26, 2003, 11:42 AM
On 2003-09-21 16:16, Shattered_weasel

*scapegoat* You made me this way. ;_;, I will dump the responsibility of me being stupid on someone else(you, scapegoat) cause it's not my fault that I'm stupid.(Yes it is, but I need me a scapegoat.)

WWWWWWWWWWW *is a scapegoat too* Just call me, scapegoater. And I think I'm going to take my bored ass to fresh kills.

shifter
Sep 26, 2003, 12:42 PM
if u havent noticed, this is what are society has turned into. a bunch of lazzy ass people who dont what to do anything for themselves or others, but the minute something gos wrong, there fingers go up at the person/s with the most money. its a sad fact of life, but we really cant do anything about that unless some bad parenting law is created so these assinine lawsuites are never even formed. the majority of the people on this site have seen an R-movie before they were 12, and they have gone on any kind of sex endused murder spree(at least i dont think so). now adays, most, if not all, forms of entertainment have some sort of warning on it to show what ages should be listening/viewing/playing. if there parents are to dumb to actually look and see the ratings on any products now adays, that would mean that they would have no one to blame but themselves.

Firocket1690
Sep 27, 2003, 03:38 AM
On 2003-09-26 10:42, shifter wrote:
the majority of the people on this site have seen an R-movie before they were 12

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Aredhel
Sep 27, 2003, 11:40 AM
This isn't the first time an element has been blamed for the corruption of many.

AMERICA LOVES THIS SORT OF THING.

It gives us something to hate, something to "unite" against and direct all that fucked-up energy towards. Video Games, Hitler, Osama Bin Laden, Saddam Hussein, Islam - these are things that have been viewed as corruptors in our society (some unjustly....like Islam and Video games) but it makes it so much easier when we can slap a fake face on the faceless enemy. You want to change things? Then blow up the world with all its people.

Shattered_weasel
Sep 27, 2003, 06:40 PM
On 2003-09-26 09:42, Silhouette wrote:

On 2003-09-21 16:16, Shattered_weasel

*scapegoat* You made me this way. ;_;, I will dump the responsibility of me being stupid on someone else(you, scapegoat) cause it's not my fault that I'm stupid.(Yes it is, but I need me a scapegoat.)

WWWWWWWWWWW *is a scapegoat too* Just call me, scapegoater. And I think I'm going to take my bored ass to fresh kills.

O god dont get your lawyer on me