PDA

View Full Version : Anime

Uncle_bob
Sep 15, 2003, 03:35 PM
Stop it! It's not that fokking great, stop obsessing over it.

*sees billions of flames coming*

kthxbai.

Edit: So I don't look like an idiot, here's my reasons.

It's almost everywhere on the internet and in school.

More than half of my friends constantly obsess over it.

Pokemon.

DBZ.

It's annoying.

Mome.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Uncle_bob on 2003-09-15 14:20 ]</font>

muff
Sep 15, 2003, 03:35 PM
But, but, Japanese is Kewl, no?

Uncle_bob
Sep 15, 2003, 03:38 PM
The language? Sure, I'd even like to learn it some day, along with German and Swedish, but that's a whole different subject.

Obscenity
Sep 15, 2003, 03:38 PM
I went through an anime phase about 12 years ago. I still like it to some extent, but I'd rather watch a movie with real actors any day. If you like Japanese stuff, check out some films from Takeshi Kitano or Takashi Miike, or Kurosawa, if you're into classic cinema.

muff
Sep 15, 2003, 03:40 PM
On 2003-09-15 13:38, Uncle_bob wrote:
The language? Sure, I'd even like to learn it some day, along with German and Swedish, but that's a whole different subject.

I would like too learn it too, but, FUCK Animie, heh.

Uncle_bob
Sep 15, 2003, 03:42 PM
It's literally EVERYWHERE on the friggin' internet and at school. Why do people obsess over it so much?

Uncle_bob
Sep 15, 2003, 03:45 PM
They DON'T burn themselves out. I have friends that have been obsessing over the crap since we were in 3rd grade, now we're in 10th grade.

muff
Sep 15, 2003, 03:45 PM
Let them burn themselves out, someones going to sleep tonight.http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

muff
Sep 15, 2003, 03:48 PM
*Waits paitiently for the angry mob to get here.*

Uncle_bob
Sep 15, 2003, 03:49 PM
They're probably getting all the weapons they can...
here, get in this bomb shelter with me before they pwn us.

Obscenity
Sep 15, 2003, 03:49 PM
I'm sure a lot of them are still in school.

Inu_Ranma
Sep 15, 2003, 04:06 PM
Um...flame flame flame. Anime roolz. Flame flame flame.

I seriously love lots of Anime, but I'm not going to try to make you like something you don't. Enjoy not liking Anime and I'll enjoy liking it. I'm sure we can get along otherwise. I usually do.

Inu

Otaku for 14 years and running.

muff
Sep 15, 2003, 04:09 PM
On 2003-09-15 14:06, Inu_Ranma wrote:
Um...flame flame flame. Anime roolz. Flame flame flame.

I seriously love lots of Anime, but I'm not going to try to make you like something you don't. Enjoy not liking Anime and I'll enjoy liking it. I'm sure we can get along otherwise. I usually do.

Inu

Otaku for 14 years and running.

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif Yeah I like people like you. When someone makes a topic showing their hate for something, you dont even need to show your opinion, thats a real fan. One that doesnt force their feelings on someone else.
One that enjoys things personally and doesnt like things because they are popular.

Reenee
Sep 15, 2003, 04:14 PM
On 2003-09-15 13:42, Uncle_bob wrote:
It's literally EVERYWHERE on the friggin' internet and at school. Why do people obsess over it so much?

-Because real life gets boring.

-Because some great works are made in anime.

-Because it shows stuff some wouldn't dare to show in real life.

-Hentai

Inu_Ranma
Sep 15, 2003, 04:16 PM
What are you talking about? I love popular things...like that stuff...you know...that's popular...

Okay, I give up...

I'm just one of those people who's like 'you like it? That's cool. You don't like it? That's cool too.' Basically it's that I'm fairly certain that you have your reasons, so it's all good with me. I'm not gonne tell you that all Anime's different and you shouldn't stereotype it, because that would make me a son of a #$^%@ for not respecting your opinions. I don't like to play like that.

To you Anime fans who will soon post here. Respect the dude's opinions. He's a person too. This isn't a need for flaming.

Inu_Ranma
Sep 15, 2003, 04:19 PM
On 2003-09-15 14:14, Reenee wrote:

-Because real life gets boring.

-Because some great works are made in anime.

-Because it shows stuff some wouldn't dare to show in real life.

-Hentai

Hilarious, I found that last one. For the record, I can't stand Hentai. I had to retrieve my girlfriend from the hentai room at a con in late June ('Yeah, you and 200 other single guys,' said the bouncer.) and I couldn't even bear the smell of the room from over 100 feet away. Ugh. I'm sure I lost brain cells holding my breath so that I could manage.

muff
Sep 15, 2003, 04:20 PM
On 2003-09-15 14:16, Inu_Ranma wrote:
What are you talking about? I love popular things...like that stuff...you know...that's popular...

Okay, I give up...

I'm just one of those people who's like 'you like it? That's cool. You don't like it? That's cool too.' Basically it's that I'm fairly certain that you have your reasons, so it's all good with me. I'm not gonne tell you that all Anime's different and you shouldn't stereotype it, because that would make me a son of a #$^%@ for not respecting your opinions. I don't like to play like that.

To you Anime fans who will soon post here. Respect the dude's opinions. He's a person too. This isn't a need for flaming.

I realise that there are a lot of people that like animie with a passion, good on them. Theres lots of things I like too. The thing that annoys me though, and this is what I meant when I said popular. Is liking things to be "with it" or "to be cool".
Please dont mock my use of word im and Englander.

Inu_Ranma
Sep 15, 2003, 04:22 PM
On 2003-09-15 14:20, Cubis wrote:

Deal, provided you don't mock my use of the word 'dude.' Californian, I am. It's hard to shake the mode of speech.

KodiaX987
Sep 15, 2003, 04:33 PM
Well, at least you gotta give kudos to the Anime scene for inventing... the tentacle monsters!!! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Inu_Ranma
Sep 15, 2003, 05:01 PM
Ah, yes. The many joys of tentacle rape. ugh. A bane upon La Blue Girl and all related thong...err...things.

Mystil
Sep 15, 2003, 05:58 PM
Anime is loved for all the wrong reasons. I think that is what Bob is getting at. I certainly believe that it is.

Inu_Ranma
Sep 15, 2003, 06:04 PM
By many, most even, yes.

Elvendar
Sep 16, 2003, 09:25 PM
'Kay.

I still like anime. Was this supposed to convert me?

xHIGHONLIFEx
Sep 16, 2003, 09:31 PM
Anime... hmmm... kinda lost interest in almost all of them except 2 or 3... but you know... There are barely any good American cartoon... Only good ones by my book are Looney Toons, TMNT (original), Rocko's Modern Life, Striperella, Spiderman on MTV, and a few others I can't think of... And if there are any NEW cartoons made, they're all influenced by Anime... Look at Teen Titans... They all have big eyes, small mouths then big mouths when they're happy or yelling... MAsters of the Universe does twirley whirley things with their weapons as if they were karate masters (crap cartoon to even mention but hey, Anime is in there)... Its here to stay... there are more people that like it than people that dislike it... but then again, its jus me...

Kizaragu
Sep 16, 2003, 10:22 PM
On 2003-09-15 14:22, Inu_Ranma wrote:

On 2003-09-15 14:20, Cubis wrote:

Deal, provided you don't mock my use of the word 'dude.' Californian, I am. It's hard to shake the mode of speech.

Dude, I'm British and I use that word. I think it's starting to catch on over here again.
I blame my friend who Recently saw Dude where's my Car and has got me into the Habit of it.
'Dude!'
'Sweet!'

Anyway, Back to topic.

I love Anime, You don't. That's ok, as that's your opinion.
I Hate Tomb Raider and Army Men games but I'm sure there are people out there (With the IQ of a Millipede in a Shoe shop with more money than sense) who like them.

(Wow for an Englishman my grammar and Jokes suck!)

Inu_Ranma
Sep 17, 2003, 12:29 AM
On 2003-09-16 19:31, xHIGHONLIFEx wrote:
Anime... hmmm... kinda lost interest in almost all of them except 2 or 3... but you know... There are barely any good American cartoon... Only good ones by my book are Looney Toons, TMNT (original), Rocko's Modern Life, Striperella, Spiderman on MTV, and a few others I can't think of... And if there are any NEW cartoons made, they're all influenced by Anime... Look at Teen Titans... They all have big eyes, small mouths then big mouths when they're happy or yelling... MAsters of the Universe does twirley whirley things with their weapons as if they were karate masters (crap cartoon to even mention but hey, Anime is in there)... Its here to stay... there are more people that like it than people that dislike it... but then again, its jus me...

I just wanted to respond to that by saying that the MTV Spider-Man has me thoroughly impressed. Yay. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Axispoint
Sep 17, 2003, 06:55 AM
My friend is obsessed with anime. When he has his DirectTV (forgot to pay the bill this last month O_O), he's always taping some on TechTV or Cartoon Network, even ones he already owns (he taped Tenchi when they showed it and he's got like the whole series already!). I don't really understand it, either. Though now that he's gotten into EQ that's all he talks about, though he still will just go off about anime (when I used to go over to his house, he'd want me to watch some cool anime he'd found and most of the time I'd rather drop dead then watch the one he wanted me to watch).

Now, about the only anime I will watch is City Hunter and I bought Spriggan a bit ago. Sometimes I'll watch Neon Genesis Evangelion, but otherwise, that's really it. I just watch the ones I watch 'cos I like 'em, like any tv show or movie I'd watch anyway. So basically I don't watch 'em 'cos they're the 'in' thing, I just watch the ones I watch 'cos I like them, as I would hope at least some people who watch anime do (which there seem to be some like that in this thread, so bravo! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif). And I apologize if I make little sense. Been up all night and starting to get tired (finally).

Bradicus
Sep 17, 2003, 01:23 PM
someone mentioned that bob is a person... lies
on the anime thing, i dont especially care for it, though it does add a certain element to rpgs (old school ones i mean)

Inu_Ranma
Sep 17, 2003, 01:44 PM
Bob's not a person?

Yeah. Either way, Old school Anime RPG's (The type that ended with Popful Mail and the original Lunar games) were very nice. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Scejntjynahl
Sep 17, 2003, 05:44 PM
Anime...hmm...got to love it. A small comparison (or contrast), take Gi Joe and Robotech. (Old School, I know http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif ) But Gi Joe kicked azz, specially snake eyes, until I realized that after a million bullets flying all over the place...no one...I mean no one got shot (TV Series, that is). Then comes Robotech, and in the first few episodes comes Rick Hunter...uses robot change to plane...but then the unthikable...he ran out of bullets. Later in the episode even his brother died?!! To all those who dislike anime, that is your thing. But anime since has broken the mold of what a cartoon should be, gave it a taste of realism in a fictional background.

Inu_Ranma
Sep 17, 2003, 06:08 PM
Well said ^_^

Mystil
Sep 18, 2003, 09:52 AM
On 2003-09-15 16:04, Inu_Ranma wrote:
By many, most even, yes.

Most only love anime cause of it's freakiness in most anime shows. I'll admit that a little decent hentai is fine. And it is normal for the Japanese. They love sex. However, I love the drama involved with Anime, examples being OMG, Sakura Teisan, Sailor Moon, etc. And the art is so nice...I spend years online gathering the best anime style fanart from alot of sites. It's interesting. That is why I love anime.

Geokinesis
Sep 18, 2003, 02:57 PM
anime is fine, dont really like or dislike, its just there

starhealer
Sep 18, 2003, 03:27 PM
I personally enjoy anime a great deal, but then again, I enjoy animation as a whole a great deal. It's simply done in a different style. And different artistic style = good.

My beef isn't so much with people that dislike anime, as that's fine by me. I'm not going to make you like something you don't want to. It's with people (some of whom I know personally) that dislike anime on the basis that:

1) It's from a different culture

2) It's animated (yet Loony Tunes is just fine by them)

3) They just might have to read it if it's subtitled, God forbid

4) They saw one title, decided they didn't like it and refuse to watch anything else.

And 5 (and subsequently worst)) They dislike it on the premise that "It's popular, therefore it's bad. Anything that is mainstream is inherently wrong."

To give you an example of the last two lines of thinking, one person I know (and who used these reasons to describe why he doesn't like anime) claimed that he'd seen, oh, what was it, Dragon Ball Z or somesuch and hated it. So when I asked him and some others if they'd like to watch Windaria with me, he said no, because it was probably just as bad...He had his doubts as to the quality of Grave of the Fireflies, too...

He also claims that Krispy Kreme is better than Dunkin Donuts on the basis that Dunkin Donuts is too "mainstream."

So I have a beef with those types of people. But I understand that everyone has their reasons for disliking or liking something and I'm not going to force you into anything you don't want.

alredy_taken
Sep 19, 2003, 09:36 PM
Where do all of you live? I live in Iowa and there are only like 10 kids in my whole school who watch anime and like 50 who know what it is.

OniTatsujin
Sep 19, 2003, 09:57 PM
Anime is awsome
i dont care if oyu dotn liek it
i still like it
my friends still liek it
i liek to draw
anime is fun to draw
nuff said

BlackRanger
Sep 19, 2003, 09:58 PM
In Texas people love anime almost too much

Allos
Sep 20, 2003, 07:24 AM
I went through an anime phase a few years ago. I watched DBZ and basically whatever Cartoon Network played. Then it got way too popular. Now I watch it from time to time. I have two anime movies (Akira, Char's Counter Attack) that I like, but I'm not buying all the anime related crap that I used to. Seriously people, if you are obsessed with anime, go obsess yourself with something worthwhile (a boyfriend or a girlfriend would be a good example).

tiltnkirby26
Sep 20, 2003, 09:41 AM
To me anime is just a cartoon like any other cartoon in the world and I treat it that way. I don't love it or hate its just another style.