PDA

View Full Version : I'm a little paranoid...it's a rant forum, right? Rightrigh

Reenee
Sep 23, 2003, 12:13 AM
*shaky*

I'm sorry...it's just that...

My friggin' English teacher gave us a 600-word essay to do...and we could, you know, go a little over or under the limit...

Well, I went over...TWICE AS MUCH!

Gwaahhh! What's wrong with me!? How in the hell did I make this essay twice as long!? I'm dead...

FinalMasterM
Sep 23, 2003, 12:17 AM
Nothing wrong with going overboard. I use to always hate getting a set limit of words/sentances/letters to a paper. I'd do it, count, find out I'm under by a bunch, then just go through and add extra words wherever I could.

NKOTB
Sep 23, 2003, 10:18 AM
There is definitely somethinig wrong with being that much over. The teacher won't want to read all the extra and will probably take points off. You also did not follow instruction. You should have revised your paper and cut some of the weaker info.

It would be like being asked to give a 30 minute presentation and taking an hour, you really think people would be happy about the extra 30 minutes? No.

When is the paper due? You could PM it to me and I could try to help.

Guile
Sep 23, 2003, 05:10 PM
easy to fix, take a page and toss it.

Reenee
Sep 23, 2003, 05:42 PM
I turned it in. I should've been more specific: this essay is restricted because it would be like turning it in with a college application form.

Thing is, I'm not going to college. Though the teacher did accept it because I put in major effort. And it's a first draft anyway.

So, you know what? Screw limitations. I want my creative freedom and I don't care if I lose points for the next draft. I have my ideas to say, and I'm not going to let a word count get the best of me.

And come on, it's the beginning of the year.

polishedweasel
Sep 24, 2003, 03:55 AM
you know that 600 words isn't even all that much, try 10 pages. Typed, single space, then complain. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Reenee
Sep 24, 2003, 08:17 AM
It was a 9-Point Arial font, single-spaced. It's a start. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif'

starhealer
Sep 24, 2003, 01:44 PM
Speaking of 10 page papers, I should probably get to writing the one I have due.

*sigh* At least it's research-based. I can fill it with silly things.

But going from 600 words to 1200 words really isn't bad from a teaching perspective. It's going from 8 pages to 16 where teacher's stop reading what you wrote and just jot down a random grade. 1200 words is like...a page and a half. Whoopty-frigging-do.

So let your creative juices flow. A 600 word limit is pointless to worry over.